PDA

View Full Version : Copa Mundial, Allemania 2006

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

RusH
06-17-06, 05:39 PM
Italia..bunch of wankers like England.

Ankf00
06-17-06, 05:55 PM
if pope got a yellow, mastro should've had a yellow. that red was bull ****ing ****.

us wins, italia wins, both go through.

Ankf00
06-17-06, 05:55 PM

not everyone gets away with breaking people's ankles :gomer:

TKGAngel
06-17-06, 06:49 PM
I know what offsides refers to in hockey, but what does it refer to in soccer?

Ankf00
06-17-06, 08:04 PM
at the moment at which the ball is last played, the furthest forward must be even with or behind the rearmost fullback.

after the ball is last played by the offensive team, if the foward on the receiving end of that pass breaks behind hte defense and out runs them to where the ball will eventually go, then he's onsides b/c he was not past the d-man when his teammate passed it last.

x=off
o=def

-----------------GOAL-----------------------

O-----X ----- .
------------ . ---------O -------O
------------ .---------------X
------------ X

the guy passes the ball forward into space. at the moment he last touches the ball, the forward on the left is even with the rearmost defensive fullback. that's onsides.

if the forward on the right was behind everyone when the ball was last played, but the left forward still receives it, it's not offsides if the fact that the right forward was offsides didn't impact the play in any way...

Insomniac
06-17-06, 08:43 PM
I know what offsides refers to in hockey, but what does it refer to in soccer?

No cherry picking behind the defense. If you are cherry picking, it's allowed if you're not involved in the play. This second part is new for this tournament.

TrueBrit
06-17-06, 10:20 PM

Gripper. :thumdown: :rolleyes:

RusH
06-18-06, 08:58 AM
Gripper. :thumdown: :rolleyes:

Just a little balance to the thread, in the same spirit of similar posts. :)

Ankf00
06-18-06, 03:15 PM
'roos == pwn3d.

Group E == true group of death. USA + Ghana > Ivory Coast + Serbia. Italy + Czechs == Argentina

and France FINALLY scores their first WC goal since Nineteen Ninety f'ing Eight :laugh:

Ankf00
06-18-06, 03:41 PM
also, Brasil win reinforces Brasil winning the group. As long as Brasil wins the group, Italia will be motivated to fight for the win vs CZE so as to not be 2nd place in group and face Brasil next round.

WickerBill
06-18-06, 04:32 PM
All the same, Brazil still looks less than convincing, despite ABCs breathless announcers telling me how amazing they are.

Ankf00
06-18-06, 05:31 PM
the only abc/espn crew worth a damn is dellacamera & harkes, tommy smythe too. the primary crew is headed by a bloody ESPN baseball comentator and the intrinsic mundanity of baseball shines forth from his .5 decibal voice.

Then there's the TItle XIV Cup champion Foudy sitting alongside Eric & Alexi "We're more important than you think we are" Wynalda & Lalas in the studio...

Ankf00
06-18-06, 08:02 PM
http://sports.aol.com/worldcup/story/_a/italy-us-gets-high-overnight-tv-rating/20060618153009990001?cid=2447

5.2 ABC rating is the highest since the 7.0 of the 1998 Final France vs. Brasil

I'm sure Univision scored at least a 3 for the weekend match as well.

Ankf00
06-18-06, 09:05 PM
thursday we're playing w/o pablo & pope.

boca center back, conrad at left back. apparently conrad had a bloody nose from a hit during the match. later on he had to ask someone where to go because his vision was so blurry.

that's heart, unlike italia-panzies :thumbup:

http://worldcup.bigsoccer.com/june17wej/bs060617wej17.jpg

Ankf00
06-18-06, 09:20 PM
Italia vs. USA - Man of the Match

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/821/highlight2mh.jpg

Tifosi24
06-19-06, 07:46 AM
Dude, I was hoping to block that out of my memory.

Ankf00
06-19-06, 12:41 PM
Do you know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine.

eiregosod
06-19-06, 01:50 PM
Ukraine have now sorted out their goal difference problem in the group table.

France need to beat Togo by two goals to qualify.

Spain v France in the 2nd round. sounds good to me. Viva Espana!!

Ankf00
06-19-06, 02:33 PM
w/ France's form as of late, they're going to be pounded into oblivion by Raul ;)

Ankf00
06-20-06, 03:56 PM
JOE COLE :eek:

just imagine if England makes it through to the finals, the intl footballing press will be just as insufferable, if not more so, than the Boston press (aka: the offices of ESPN) during & after the '04 Fall Classic

Tifosi24
06-20-06, 04:12 PM
Sweden is looking deadly on set pieces in the second half.

Dr. Corkski
06-20-06, 04:17 PM
France need to beat Togo by two goals to qualify.They are going to have to do it without Zidane.

Ankf00
06-20-06, 04:24 PM
They are going to have to do it without Zidane.
Which will just make it 10x easier without his lead feet and his play which has had all the creativity of a suburban strip mall

Tifosi24
06-20-06, 04:47 PM
Soft goal baby, Sweden ties it.

WickerBill
06-20-06, 06:29 PM
See lots of people banging on Sven for only including four strikers, esp. now that the midget might be out. Question -- who was the fifth choice for striker? SWP? C'mon.

Ankf00
06-20-06, 06:54 PM
The english press is never happy unless they're bagging on something, I can't wait to witness England's impending supernova under Steve McLaren. :)

Racing Truth
06-20-06, 08:09 PM
FYI: A deeper look at La Copa Mundia (http://www.tnr.com/blog/world-cup)

Its a blog at The New Republic . No real political content in the blog itself.

Ankf00
06-20-06, 09:05 PM
I'm not a fan of that blog, personally. Idiotic statements like
Now let's talk about Argentina. Argentina, on the contrary, has developed into a full blown football-exporting nation. Without having the solace of a prosperous domestic league, Argentine players need to look beyond the country's borders in order to secure their own future.:rolleyes:

as for a WC blog with inanity that's actually humorous yet well informed, this guy who's an english ex-pat and who's in charge of some of ESPN's programming. "Davie's World Cup Diary. Germany 2006. Unbridled by Journalistic Anything" :D: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=davies/index

for: british ex-pats supporting US Soccer who rag on aussies & belgians, the impeccable autobahn-side pay-restrooms, deutschland wurtz, elfenbeinkusten (the elephant bone coast)

against: italian divers, skinny toilet-paper, belgium, polish hooligans

eiregosod
06-20-06, 09:28 PM
See lots of people banging on Sven for only including four strikers, esp. now that the midget might be out. Question -- who was the fifth choice for striker? SWP? C'mon.

Jermaine Defoe or some other striker from the B team.

Erikson brings Crouch, owen, Rooney & Walcott along. Crouch had a near disastrous season for Liverpool, it took him many games before he scored a goal. if he wasn;t playing for 'pool he would not have been picked.

Owen hadn't played competetively since New Years Day.

Rooney was an injury worry, he is still trying to regain his fitness.

Walcott has never played a top class league game. unless absolutely necessary, Walcott will not be playing in this world cup.

Luckily for Sven, Rooney is coming back to form, because if he was still injured Sven would have to play the untried Theo Walcott.

Up front on Sunday will be Crouch & Rooney.

eiregosod
06-20-06, 09:45 PM
FYI: A deeper look at La Copa Mundia (http://www.tnr.com/blog/world-cup)

Its a blog at The New Republic . No real political content in the blog itself.

the blog about the fantasy league's is spot on.

i would add that spectator sports would have less interest without the fantasy leagues.

RusH
06-20-06, 10:25 PM
I'm not a fan of that blog, personally. Idiotic statements like
Quote:
Now let's talk about Argentina. Argentina, on the contrary, has developed into a full blown football-exporting nation. Without having the solace of a prosperous domestic league, Argentine players need to look beyond the country's borders in order to secure their own future.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/dfabi/Album8/Waaaambulance.jpg

Ankf00
06-21-06, 12:52 AM
If that's how you interpreted my statement, you are clueless :rolleyes:

That is unless you agree with that idiot from that blog that Boca Juniors & River Plate are crappy teams in a crappy domestic league that no one worth anything plays for... because that is what that statement implies.

Personally I don't see how the popularity & success of Boca Juniors & River Plate match with the statement "Without having the solace of a prosperous domestic league." But that's just me, a supposed limey sympathizer. We're so stupid we think Boca & Plate are great clubs w/ great Argentine players ;) 2 clubs with 7 total Copa Libertadores titles between them is nothing noteworthy I guess... :gomer:

emjaya
06-21-06, 08:46 AM
Screw the River Plate,It's Boca Juniors we love. :gomer: :)

Ankf00
06-21-06, 11:38 AM
Angola 1-0, Mexico down 2-1 after missing a PK, having a man sent off, & playing a 6-2-2.

Angola needs 1 more & Portugal w/ 1 more in order to advance

Ankf00
06-21-06, 11:40 AM
nevermind *yawn* Iran equalizes...

eiregosod
06-21-06, 03:16 PM
I like the Persian rugs that Iran gave to their opponents before each game. They get a cheapo plastic emblem from their opponents.

Ankf00
06-21-06, 05:15 PM
ouch.

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5716870_7_2.jpg

Ankf00
06-22-06, 09:45 AM
IT'S ON, BITCHES!

http://images.ussoccer.com/Images/cms/ussf/gha_62206fs.jpg

dando
06-22-06, 10:51 AM
Such a BS call on the PK! :flame: :mad: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-22-06, 10:54 AM
THAT WAS NOT A ****ING PENALTY!!! :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

rabbit
06-22-06, 11:54 AM
http://files.blog-city.com/files/O05/150158/p/f/burnt_toast.jpg

Ankf00
06-22-06, 11:59 AM
we had ONE shot on goal off of somebody's foot this entire world cup :rolleyes:

dando
06-22-06, 12:00 PM
Congrats to Ghana, but that win was tainted. Pure and simple. :thumdown:

The US O was just pathetic the entire tourney, and they didn't deserve to move ahead. :saywhat: :(

-Kevin

Tifosi24
06-22-06, 12:05 PM
Missed the game because I had to help put together furniture in the department office. I turn on the feed and Wynalda is calling out Arena, and rightfully so in my opinion. I don't see him lasting much longer as the US manager.

Ankf00
06-22-06, 12:20 PM
Congrats to Ghana, but that win was tainted. Pure and simple. :thumdown:

-Kevin

nothing was tainted. bad calls happen, ghana outplayed us up and down the pitch even after we started playing a 3-5-2. arena didn't even come out in the 2nd w/ any subs despite being down a goal and needing the win.

ghana goes through even w/ the draw so the penalty was a moot point, ghana didn't bunker down after that 2nd goal, it was our own ineffectuality with the ball sealed it. we played long ball all day, never went down the right wing in the 2nd half despite Dempsey being our best winger at the moment. we not only are too chicken **** to take shots outside the 18, we won't even take them from within! wtf was w/ donovan dribbling to defenders at the top of the box when he had a clear shot from the near side of the box? :flame: :rolleyes:

keller reyna and pope are past their expiration dates, beasley's regressed into a mental shell after his leg was vaporized last year, donovan hasn't developed at all since quitting Leverkusen a 2nd time. ghana has midfielders like essien and appiah who are qualified to start for Juve & Chelsea, we don't even come close :saywhat:

dando
06-22-06, 12:47 PM
nothing was tainted. bad calls happen, ghana outplayed us up and down the pitch even after we started playing a 3-5-2. arena didn't even come out in the 2nd w/ any subs despite being down a goal and needing the win.
d00d, that call was huge. Don't underestimate it's impact on the game. That beig said, it was not the sole reason for the loss.

Yes, the US play was underwhelming, especially on O, and they had no right to move on. Arena screwed the pooch with his choice of tactics, but the players also deserve blame for the lack of energy against the Czechs and for the most part today. We played tight the entire tourney. :(

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-22-06, 01:53 PM
Klinsmann to coach US Soccer to 2010?

http://blogs.foxsports.com/Nick_Webster/2006/06/18/Arena_OutKlinsmann_in

Personally I want to steal Leo Beenhakker from T&T, Hiddink's already contracted to Russia (maybe quits after Euro '08??) and think Beenhakker's the next best Dutch option, this team could really use an infusion of Dutch chemistry & influence. But Klinsmann is already involved with academies & the youth system over here, and he's a socal resident to boot.

You also have to respect his reforging of the Mannschaft into a forward thinking offensive team. Even in the 1-0 result vs. Poland, the Deutsche were bombing away at the goal, Klose & Ballack hit woodwork so many times I lost count.

skaven
06-22-06, 03:35 PM
Croatia up 1-0 over AUS. Not sure if they can get in with a win, but here's hoping ! ! ! :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
06-22-06, 07:05 PM
Landon Donovan sucks.

dando
06-22-06, 09:16 PM
Klinsmann to coach US Soccer to 2010?

http://blogs.foxsports.com/Nick_Webster/2006/06/18/Arena_OutKlinsmann_in

Personally I want to steal Leo Beenhakker from T&T, Hiddink's already contracted to Russia (maybe quits after Euro '08??) and think Beenhakker's the next best Dutch option, this team could really use an infusion of Dutch chemistry & influence. But Klinsmann is already involved with academies & the youth system over here, and he's a socal resident to boot.

You also have to respect his reforging of the Mannschaft into a forward thinking offensive team. Even in the 1-0 result vs. Poland, the Deutsche were bombing away at the goal, Klose & Ballack hit woodwork so many times I lost count.

How 'bout Sigi? His tactics could make this team look downright eggciting. :gomer:

-Kevin

emjaya
06-23-06, 09:48 AM
Hey Ank,

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9418&highlight=world+cup+draw

Australia's best competition this tournament will come from Togo, Trinidad & Tobago, and Ghana... the Race for Last Place

Australia makes the 16. :)

Ghana makes 16. :laugh:

U.S.A don't. :rofl:

I even feel good about the Steven Seagel quote I made. :p

Tifosi24
06-23-06, 09:58 AM
ESPN2 just cut away to World Cup coverage, but Wynalda is in full out meltdown mode against Bruce Arena. If you have hate in your heart let it out! He isn't saying anything that isn't true about the coaching in this tournament, and it would be a travesty for US soccer if he is still coach in the coming years. I didn't think I could be more embarrassed by a national team after the Olympic hockey debacale, but this World Cup was just terrible, not as bad as 1998 but a serious letdown after Korea.

Ankf00
06-23-06, 10:23 AM
Hey Ank,

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9418&highlight=world+cup+draw

Australia makes the 16. :)

Ghana makes 16. :laugh:

U.S.A don't. :rofl:

I even feel good about the Steven Seagel quote I made.
*yawn* Kewell was blatantly offsides. Also do me a favor and tell Viduka to quit sucking down ho-hos unless he wants to turn into Ronaldo :gomer:

Fio1
06-23-06, 10:48 AM
I don't understand Brice Arena. Why does he keep playing Landon Donovan when the guy hasn't scored in 17 national team matches? Get him out of there! I don't understand why he picked this conservative team with Donovan and Reyna and aggressive, hungry, guys like Adu and Mathis were left off the roster. Fire Arena! :thumdown:

My wish is that Jurgen Klinsman will get fired from Germany, because he lives in California and the Germans are kind of upset about that and the US hire him as the coach. We need a real coach, a guy with some balls to play young talent instead these over-the-hill MLS w*nkers! :cool:

Landon Donovan sucks! :flame:

Ankf00
06-23-06, 11:15 AM
I don't understand Brice Arena. Why does he keep playing Landon Donovan when the guy hasn't scored in 17 national team matches? Get him out of there! I don't understand why he picked this conservative team with Donovan and Reyna and aggressive, hungry, guys like Adu and Mathis were left off the roster. Fire Arena! :thumdown:

Stick to Grand Am dude. Mathis is a fat out of shape quitting **** who hasn't done anything of note for years. Not being even invited to camp is no one's fault but Clint. 6 years ago he was my favorite footballer on the squad, at this point I don't even have any respect for the guy.

Donovan's our best option at a-mid despite his lack of form. Donovan's job isn't to score goals (although it helps), but to get the ball to the strikers. Not only did Arena f him over by playing him out of position as a withdrawn forward (which he is not good at, he's much better when running at the defense and than playing with his back to the goal) but only gave him 1 striker to work with and not even a pure finisher at that. Many times he was caught out by Beasley pulling up when he laid out a nice ball into space. Despite the fact that Donovan will never be the answer as long as he stays inside his socal MLS bubble, on top of playing like a chump vs CZE & Ghana, to say he's a joke and doesn't belong is just :shakehead

Reyna is our best holding mid despite his lack of speed w/ O'Brien not being match fit. Reyna was our best player in the Czech game and was running all over the field along with Landon when we were down to 9 men vs. Italy. Without the suspended Mastroeni and without a fit O'Brien he was the only option vs Ghana and that's why Olsen came in for him on top of that b/c Olsen had no business being in a game where we needed to score. We had a lack of depth at holding mid and Mastro is our only good d-mid, he was an absolute wrecker vs. Italy and would've taken the battle to Essien and Appiah yesterday.

Also let Adu figure out how to conquer MLS first before he tries to compete with elite international squads :rolleyes: Adu is nowhere near as capable as Donovan at a-mid at this point in time. He will be our a-mid in South Africa, however when he's turning 21.

TrueBrit
06-23-06, 02:48 PM
*yawn* Kewell was blatantly offsides. Also do me a favor and tell Viduka to quit sucking down ho-hos unless he wants to turn into Ronaldo :gomer:

He was offside no doubt, but Viduka got mugged in the area and didn't get called, and there was a blatant second Croat handball late in the 2nd that wasn't called, and since when do players get THREE yellow cards before being sent off. The ref was fuggin' awful in this game....fuggin' awful...

emjaya
06-24-06, 12:12 AM
*yawn* Kewell was blatantly offsides. Also do me a favor and tell Viduka to quit sucking down ho-hos unless he wants to turn into Ronaldo

Ank -> :cry: :cry: :cry:
If sucking down ho-hos will turn Viduka into a dual World Cup winner and a three time FIFA World Player of the Year, then I'm sending him a box or three.

Btw, WTF are ho-hos?

He was offside no doubt, but Viduka got mugged in the area and didn't get called, and there was a blatant second Croat handball late in the 2nd that wasn't called, and since when do players get THREE yellow cards before being sent off. The ref was fuggin' awful in this game....fuggin' awful...

Not Graham Polls best game, he certainly lost control towards the end. I don't understand why he didn't send off the Croatian player (?) who grabbed his shirt?

Kovac's goal was very soft,Kalac was dreadfull in goal.

Fio1
06-24-06, 12:55 AM
Donovan's our best option at a-mid despite his lack of form. Donovan's job isn't to score goals (although it helps), but to get the ball to the strikers........ Despite the fact that Donovan will never be the answer as long as he stays inside his socal MLS bubble, on top of playing like a chump vs CZE & Ghana, to say he's a joke and doesn't belong is just :shakehead

Donovan sucks! Clear and simple. I've seen virtually every game of the world cup, for sure have seen every team play. The US looked the worst! Maybe Iran looked almost as bad, but at least they could score. The Saudis looked pretty good and Tunisia & Togo did decent as well. The USA looked slow, had no plays, never controlled the ball, lost a lot of balls and plain looked like s****e! The only guys that looked decent were McBride, Bocanegra, Mastroeni, Convey & Dempsey.

Secondly, Donovan will stay in the MLS, because no one else wants him! Who is going to use up one of their foreign player's allocations to pick Donovan? Maybe a B squad in Switzerland or Belgium, but no one else.

Also, I'm Swiss anyways, and my team made it to the next round and will be the surprise of these World Cups. So far no one has scored on us. I think we have it easy with Ukraine, who looked really bad in 2 or 3 games, next and already beat Italy this year, so we will see. :thumbup:

Insomniac
06-24-06, 09:28 AM
Btw, WTF are ho-hos?

http://www.twinkies.com/images/box_hohos.jpg

Dr. Corkski
06-24-06, 12:32 PM
He was offside no doubt, but Viduka got mugged in the area and didn't get called, and there was a blatant second Croat handball late in the 2nd that wasn't called, and since when do players get THREE yellow cards before being sent off. The ref was fuggin' awful in this game....fuggin' awful...That's what happens when you let a Brit ref. :p

TrueBrit
06-24-06, 12:54 PM
That's what happens when you let a Brit ref. :p
It's funny you should mention that, I was streaming the game at work and was routing for the 'Roos and as the game progressed was positive the ref had been bought off....then I go home and watch it on the big screen and find out it was a Limey ref and I said to myself "that makes sense".... :D

Fio1
06-24-06, 01:35 PM
Hey TrueBrit, do you think England can pull it off against Ecuador? Ecuador played very well so far and England had some so so games. But, on the other hand they had some brilliant moments, so it depends who shows up.

WickerBill
06-25-06, 04:07 PM
England are one of those sides that play just good enough to beat whoever they're playing. They don't look at all in sync and yet they continue winning. If they get it together, I think they could crush anyone they play; the question is, will they ever really get it together?

And did Terry try to give away a goal or what??

"The most overrated player in the history of football" saved their butts again today.

TrueBrit
06-25-06, 05:10 PM
Hey TrueBrit, do you think England can pull it off against Ecuador? Ecuador played very well so far and England had some so so games. But, on the other hand they had some brilliant moments, so it depends who shows up.

With the benefit of hindsight I'd have to say yes they can... ;)

England were heavy favourites before the game but I was more than a little nervous before the game, and as the first half progressed it appeared to be justified. However, as soon as the second half started I thought we were in good shape. England has played only one good half per game so far in this WC and their first was so instantly forgettable that the 2nd just had to be better, and then Beckham did what he does best and sealed the deal.

Should be an interesting match against Portugal next saturday.

Ankf00
06-25-06, 07:33 PM
I've seen virtually every game of the world cup, for sure have seen every team play. if you're saying that your frame of reference on judging players is all of 3 games out of an entire career then I say again, stick to grand am... :gomer:

Donovan sucks! Clear and simple. I've seen virtually every game of the world cup, apparently you missed the part where he was regulating on Italy

Ankf00
06-25-06, 07:37 PM

F@#$! I knew the dutch back line was going to let me down. So much for that half of my bracket :D

eiregosod
06-25-06, 07:40 PM

the only winners from the Portugal v Holland game was Eng-er-land.

never discount Beckham & gerrard from getting a goal out of nothing. Eriksson is a clown, I'm sure that he'll pick his best team by accident.

Big Phil Scolari will owwn the touchline on Saturday ;)

eiregosod
06-25-06, 07:42 PM
F@#$! I knew the dutch back line was going to let me down. So much for that half of my bracket :D

nevermind that. Van Basten & van Nistelrooy had an argument :flame: Ruud would have scored 3 of Kuyt's chances. The Dutch self-destruct again.

Ankf00
06-25-06, 07:42 PM
4 strikers to the world cup

1 not 100% match fit
1 is a tree who can't finish
1 vaporized his leg
1 is 17

Sven == genius. :laugh:

eiregosod
06-25-06, 07:45 PM
4 strikers to the world cup

1 not 100% match fit
1 is a tree who can't finish
1 vaporized his leg
1 is 17

Sven == genius. :laugh:

His squad selection should attarct asttention from offialils at the dept of mental health. Who knows, England could well win the world cup.

the guy who is 17 has never played top flight football before.

Ankf00
06-25-06, 07:46 PM
nevermind that. Van Basten & van Nistelrooy had an argument :flame: Ruud would have scored 3 of Kuyt's chances. The Dutch self-destruct again.
Was on the road during the match, going to have to d/l it. Stupid dutchies :mad:

eiregosod
06-25-06, 07:51 PM
Was on the road during the match, going to have to d/l it. Stupid dutchies :mad:

coaching blunders #1

keep your best striker on the bench. :gomer:

Ankf00
06-25-06, 08:17 PM
coaching blunders #1

keep your best striker on the bench. :gomer:

coaching blunders #2

play a 4-5-1 w/o a finisher at striker when you need the result to advance :gomer:

Ankf00
06-25-06, 08:21 PM
NUREMBERG, June 25 (Reuters) - FIFA President Sepp Blatter said the referee could have been yellow-carded himself after sending off four players and handing out bookings to eight others in Portugal's World Cup 1-0 win over the Netherlands.

Each team finished with nine men after Russian referee Valentin Ivanov took centre stage in Sunday's second-round match, creating a World Cup finals record for red cards in one match.

'I consider that today the referee was not at the same level as the participants, the players. There could have been a yellow card for the referee,' Blatter told Portugal's SIC television channel.

:laugh:

Dr. Corkski
06-25-06, 08:44 PM
Tough Russian judge. :gomer:

eiregosod
06-25-06, 08:52 PM
bring back Pierluigi Colina.

the officiating at this world cup is terrible. That being said, Blatter and his guys at Fifa should give more discretion to the referees instead of demanding yellow cards for certain tackles.

The game tonight had 25 fouls and 16 yellow cards.

Ankf00
06-25-06, 08:54 PM
^^^ And Anders Frisk...

Ankf00
06-25-06, 09:32 PM
nm.

WickerBill
06-26-06, 06:40 AM
http://dblogg.blogg.se/images/colina_1133902548.jpg

Ooooh yeah. Scariest ... official ... ever.

devilmaster
06-26-06, 09:54 AM

Looks like Uncle Fester.

Ankf00
06-26-06, 10:32 AM

werd. but also one of the best ever alongside Frisk :thumbup:

Ankf00
06-26-06, 11:51 AM
:rofl: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=davies/index&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

http://espn.go.com/i/page2/photos/060601/michael_davies_2006.jpg

The "working" press room, FIFA World Cup Stadium, Stuttgart, 7:35 p.m., June 25

England 1 -- Ecuador 0.

How to be absolute pants and win.

I think it would be a massive book. Perhaps an entire business.

Learn to grind out victory in life by being just like the England team -- working quite hard, not doing anything too well, getting a little lucky and doing just about enough to succeed. You don't have to change your habits, perform to your potential, come up with any great ideas or even execute anything well. You just have to show up, be a little bit hard, and stand the heat. Until it cools down.

The England team are all basically pants. But they've turned pantsness into an art. It sucks the opposition in, slows the momentum of the game to a crawl, makes the opposition play down to their level and makes them believe they must be winning even when they're not, which means they seem to try less hard.

But while they're still (barely) winning, let's rank them again in ascending order of pantsness...

Absolutely no pants
David Beckham
Ashley Cole

Sven-Goran Eriksson, the England coach, should really just walk into the press conference, raise his middle finger to the assembled English football press (who all wanted Beckham dropped) and over his glasses, in his Swedish accent, say "schwivel you idiotsh.

*snip*

Short pants (Lederhosen, perhaps)
Wayne Rooney
Owen Hargreaves
Rio Ferdinand
John Terry
Paul Robinson

I'm starting to enjoy how ticked off Rooney looks all the time. He should open a pub with Bruce Arena.

*snip*

Jeans, worn in the German jugend style, rolled up to somewhere between the knee and the ankle
Joe Cole
Steven Gerrard
Frank Lampard

*snip*

Pants ... billowy, stiff, scratchy, multi-pleated Dockers
Michael Carrick

*snip*

TrueBrit
06-26-06, 12:54 PM
In a world cup plagued with horrendous decisions the one against the Aussies today has to take the cake. What an absolutely fuggin' useless call.... :shakehead :thumdown:

WickerBill
06-26-06, 12:55 PM
That's a sucky way to lose.

Ankf00
06-26-06, 12:56 PM
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences would like to award the 2006 Oscar for Best Actor to Fabio Grosso.

I figure it's karma working it's thing with Italy vs. Hiddink

Tifosi24
06-26-06, 01:05 PM
Nothing like watching the end of that game with a room full of Italy supporters, where is the puking emoticon when you need it. The challenge looked a bit reckless, but you have to ask yourself if the contact, which wasn't at all hard, led to him not getting a chance on goal. I say no because the other Aussie defender was right there, and lets face it with a minute left in the game it should be a horrendous challenge before you hand out a pentalty kick. I tend to harp about hockey refs not making calls at the end of games, but I would say this is a situation where the ref should have taken a page from that reffing book and let them play. I honestly think it is a borderline call on a PK any time during the game, but with less than a minute to play I think it is an easy no call. There is no team I want to lose more in this tournament more than the Italians, because of their diving antics.

Ankf00
06-26-06, 01:16 PM
Argentina puts Italy at shame when it comes to acting.

Granted, Grosso made a meal of the "foul" (if that's even the appropriate word), but the game should be called evenly throughout be there 1 minute remaining or 80. Swallowing the whistle is americanized bull. But I don't think that should've been a foul at any point in time.

The red on Materazzi was complete bulldoody as well, and despite being up a man Australia only had 4 shots on goal, and I think only 5 shots within the penalty area. Italy had something like 10 shots on goal from within...

Socceroos were hosed, but they didn't do anything to help themselves after Materazzi was booked.

Ankf00
06-26-06, 01:21 PM
Nothing like watching the end of that game with a room full of Italy supporters, where is the puking emoticon when you need it.
I watched it with Italian nationals, it was funny.

[Super Mario Accent] "I think, you know, he get the Oscar next year." [/Super Mario Accent]

Insomniac
06-26-06, 01:34 PM
Nothing like watching the end of that game with a room full of Italy supporters, where is the puking emoticon when you need it. The challenge looked a bit reckless, but you have to ask yourself if the contact, which wasn't at all hard, led to him not getting a chance on goal. I say no because the other Aussie defender was right there, and lets face it with a minute left in the game it should be a horrendous challenge before you hand out a pentalty kick. I tend to harp about hockey refs not making calls at the end of games, but I would say this is a situation where the ref should have taken a page from that reffing book and let them play. I honestly think it is a borderline call on a PK any time during the game, but with less than a minute to play I think it is an easy no call. There is no team I want to lose more in this tournament more than the Italians, because of their diving antics.

It's almost always such a hard call to make. It's like fouls change once in the penalty area given what the stakes are. It ends up being a PK or no call, whereas outside the box they have a greay area where they can just call a fould and you have a free kick.

What a terrible way to lose though. I can't fault Italy here, they say you have to be able to play well enough to make the ref's decisions not matter, and this was that case, Up a man for 35 mins and they didn't bring fresh legs on until after the 80'. It's always bad when the fans can make better coaching decisions.

dando
06-26-06, 05:08 PM
Well, @ least they finally called out the refs for some of the BS calls we've seen:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=372587&cc=5901

"I think there could have been a yellow card for the referee," Blatter said.

Yellow? How about RED? :saywhat:

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
06-26-06, 05:38 PM
"Ukraine is game to you?! Howbout I take your little board and smash it!!"

Note to the Swiss: the idea of penalty kicks is to kick the ball into the net, not at the goalie. :gomer:

anait
06-26-06, 05:52 PM
"Ukraine is game to you?! Howbout I take your little board and smash it!!"

Note to the Swiss: the idea of penalty kicks is to kick the ball into the net, not at the goalie. :gomer:

I think every one of the UKR players' last names was in my hometown phone book. :)

Yeah, those kicks from the Swiss were, um...gentle?

Ankf00
06-26-06, 06:03 PM
The Swiss maintained their neutrality towards winning or losing the match. :gomer:

emjaya
06-26-06, 11:32 PM
That's a sucky way to lose.

In a way,it's a good way to lose.

If it was 6-0 flogging we would be just unhappy. :cry:

This way we are unhappy and angry at being ripped off. :mad:

For the next four years we will be looking for revenge. :flame:

Italy did look the better team, i must admit.Australia did alright though,all through the World Cup. :thumbup:

Go England.

RusH
06-26-06, 11:33 PM
I hope the Uki`s make the guidos choke on their spaghetti :gomer:

And the Brazzzzzzzzilions have noone to challenge them in the other half of the groups. I wish Spain would make it on that grid.

A FIFA crafted GER/Brazzzzilion final. {yawn}

Ankf00
06-26-06, 11:56 PM
Sorry, this was karma biting Hiddink in the ass for '02. Karma doesn't reverse itself after it restores things to the natural order :p

A FIFA crafted GER/Brazzzzilion final. {yawn}
The only thing FIFA crafted was Maradona being credited for not one, but two goals which he never scored in that quarter-final.

RusH
06-27-06, 07:19 AM
The only thing FIFA crafted was Maradona being credited for not one, but two goals which he never scored in that quarter-final.

hook line and sinker :gomer:
:cry:

TrueBrit
06-27-06, 09:33 AM
FMaradonna and the nose of god.... :flame:

Talk about over-rated..... :shakehead

TrueBrit
06-27-06, 09:36 AM
In a way,it's a good way to lose.

If it was 6-0 flogging we would be just unhappy. :cry:

This way we are unhappy and angry at being ripped off. :mad:

Italy did look the better team, i must admit.Australia did alright though,all through the World Cup. :thumbup:

Go England.

You guys were absolutely ripped off....an amazingly bad call....It was good to see you guys do so well, you brought a refreshing approach to the game and I don't think it was a fluke...

Better luck next time!

emjaya
06-27-06, 09:57 AM
Sorry, this was karma biting Hiddink in the ass for '02. Karma doesn't reverse itself after it restores things to the natural order :p

Natural order = USA out in first round. :p