PDA

View Full Version : best guitar solo ever

Pages : 1 [2]

oddlycalm
09-05-06, 02:57 PM
:thumbup: that woulda' been cool. I've seen Thompson a couple times w/ band & solo. Saw McQuinn solo. It's always been one of my contentions that some of the best musicians around are in bluegrass whether you like the genre or not, those guys can flat out play. Your contention was well proven when Clarence White joined what would be the final incarnation of the Byrds. Anyone that's heard the heavy overdriven lines on "Lover Of The Bayou" knows how hard he could rock and his session work has probably been heard by everyone here at one time or another unknowingly. It all ended when a drunk driver took him out in 1973 :(

Interesting to note that he was also the one that pioneered the flat picked guitar as a solo instrument in bluegrass during the 50's and early 60's with his band the Kentucky Colonels. Prior to that all the solo work in bluegrass was either fiddle or banjo. Slide Dobro came later as well.

oc

Gangrel
09-05-06, 03:02 PM
I always liked Stevie Hunter's guitar Intro to Lou Reed's Sweet Jane on the Rock n Roll Animal LP.

Seriously though, Freebird? :saywhat:
Two of the top 5 by Guns n Roses? :saywhat:

100% in agreement...

And besides...where the hell is the solo in Don't Fear the Reaper?