PDA

View Full Version : TV Viewing - Post Sopranos

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

stroker
07-19-08, 04:34 PM
I'm beginning to think that network TV shows are going the way of newspapers. They just can't compete with the cable-produced shows from HBO, et al. I don't know if it's a problem with funding, producing or the fact they have to deal with the FCC, but the number of genuinely good shows on the Big Three in the last few years has been pretty damned depressing. If it wasn't for internet access I'd think real hard about just dropping TV altogether.

Y'know, I don't think it'll be long before some cable channel will be created that'll run 100% "amateur" production, similar to You-Tube. Then these guys creating episodes of Star Trek in their garage will have a place to go...

tllips
07-19-08, 09:54 PM
I like Life. I'm glad it's coming back. For once, I think nothing I like was cancelled. And Scrubs even is moving to ABC (instead of being cancelled)! Saw a preview for Heroes on NBC. Looks like there will be a lot of action.

I also saw this week that Courtney Cox is replacing Dr. Kelso and that this is Zach Braff's last season.

G.
07-19-08, 10:56 PM
I'm beginning to think that network TV shows are going the way of newspapers. They just can't compete with the cable-produced shows from HBO, et al. I don't know if it's a problem with funding, producing or the fact they have to deal with the FCC, but the number of genuinely good shows on the Big Three in the last few years has been pretty damned depressing. If it wasn't for internet access I'd think real hard about just dropping TV altogether.

Y'know, I don't think it'll be long before some cable channel will be created that'll run 100% "amateur" production, similar to You-Tube. Then these guys creating episodes of Star Trek in their garage will have a place to go...
It's weird. Network TV, drama-wise, has gotten very good in the last decade.

Now, maybe it's just me, but in the last 2 years, I watch almost NOTHING on the Big Three. I didn't jump on to the Heroes/Lost crowd, cuz I can't devote that much time to "my stories". I can't commit.

Ah, we'll see how TV looks after the kids get older...

I pay for a billion channels, but only watch History, TLC, Speed, Bravo, BBCA, and AMC. Plus the HBO/Sho/Pay.

My TV viewing has not been enhanced.

Racing Truth
07-21-08, 02:54 PM
I didn't think Damages was that good. Mad Men, yes. Anyone watching Burn Notice?

Liked Damages (you better follow it closely, though), never watched Mad Men, love Burn Notice.

Insomniac
07-21-08, 07:49 PM
Liked Damages (you better follow it closely, though), never watched Mad Men, love Burn Notice.

I followed it. It just seemed to drag out. Almost like it should've just been a miniseries.

TravelGal
07-21-08, 07:59 PM
I followed it. It just seemed to drag out. Almost like it should've just been a miniseries.

As far as I'm concerned, that's the definition of Heroes. Enough already. Pffft. I gave up about 2/3 the way through last year.

oddlycalm
07-22-08, 01:15 PM
The Wire gets one nod.

FAIL.
Agreed G., 'The Wire' was ignored from it's beginning and since it was arguably the best of it's era it casts the awards in a bad light. The fact that it dealt with issues that a lot of people don't want to see in a realistic way says a lot about it being ignored at the awards. People prefer fantasy to our current reality.

oc

Gnam
09-18-08, 04:27 PM
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia returns tonight on FX for its fourth season. That show is messed up, but in a good way. :laugh:

oddlycalm
09-18-08, 04:59 PM
Watched "Sons Of Anarchy" a couple times and it's basically the Sopranos scooter trash cousins...:gomer: They are arms dealers and human trafficers but they are the good guys because they draw the line at crystal meth. :laugh:

Drea de Mateo is a Sopranos alum but the best acting is from Katy Sagal and Ron Perlman.

oc

Gnam
10-22-08, 05:00 PM
Must have missed the memo... FX cancelled The Riches on Oct.8

Probably for the best. Hope Izzard gets another show.

High Sided
10-22-08, 05:29 PM
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia returns tonight on FX for its fourth season. That show is messed up, but in a good way. :laugh:

best 30minute show since seinfeld :thumbup:

Classic Apex
10-22-08, 05:31 PM
^ Caught an episode of 'Testees' after Sunny last week. Damn good show too.

oddlycalm
10-22-08, 07:19 PM
^ Caught an episode of 'Testees' after Sunny last week. Damn good show too.

Reminds me of a Kevin Smith film where they took our all the arty dialogue...:gomer: "Easy Money" is another one that sounded lame but is actually pretty well done.

Heard that "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" is cancelled. No big surprise there I guess as the young audience stayed away in droves.

oc

nrc
10-22-08, 07:51 PM
Heard that "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" is cancelled. No big surprise there I guess as the young audience stayed away in droves.

Happy to find that this appears not to be the case. Not that it hit the mark every episode (kind of like Heroes) but it's more often good than bad.

http://www.thecelebritycafe.com/features/20973.html

G.
10-22-08, 11:07 PM
Sons of Anarchy is pretty good. Katie Segal is very good in it. So is "Dutch".

I just cannot get into Always Sunny.

I loved the first season, but now they're just trying too hard to be mean. And stupid.

KLang
10-23-08, 06:54 AM
Happy to see the other day Terminator got picked up for the remainder of season 2. :thumbup: I'm surprised considering the ratings. It has to be an expensive show.

I've been recording Fringe but haven't watched any of it yet. Is it any good?

oddlycalm
10-23-08, 03:44 PM
Happy to see the other day Terminator got picked up for the remainder of season 2. :thumbup: I'm surprised considering the ratings. It has to be an expensive show.

I've been recording Fringe but haven't watched any of it yet. Is it any good?
Thanks for the news. Previous reports of it's demise were clearly exaggerated. [/Twain] :laugh: Fox must be counting on the additional young hottiesto attract a bigger audience. :D

Fringe is ok for mainstream scifi. So far they haven't done much with the over arching plot about "the pattern," it's just been weird event of the week. I liked seeing Mark Valley turned into a crustacean as I've never particularly cared for him...:D Fox will probably stick with it at for lack of anything better to put in the slot so those that care may actually get to find out what the pattern is about.

oc

High Sided
11-14-08, 02:52 PM
best line from sunny in philli last night...

"mmmmm i'm gonna impregnate danica patrick while getting drunk in the sahara desert on a dune buggy" :tony:

Macs description of his "vision board"( cut out pictures of all the sh** you ever wanted pasted on a board), think this is how tony started the irl?

Gnam
11-15-08, 04:52 PM
...and the theme of turning a decent home into a smoking pile of rubble also seems vaguely familiar. :D:thumbup:

trish
02-22-09, 12:09 AM
I didn't think Damages was that good. Mad Men, yes. Anyone watching Burn Notice?

I saw my first episode today. I thought it was new this year. I love it!

racermike
02-22-09, 02:31 AM
Flight of the Conchords is pretty fun

Saw their HBO comedy special a couple of years ago, and was excited when I heard they got their own sitcom on there as well.

Last weeks episode was the best one this season so far (Jemaine w/ Australian chick)

Insomniac
02-22-09, 12:09 PM
I saw my first episode today. I thought it was new this year. I love it!

I still watch it and I think this season it's starting to get more interesting.

Ankf00
04-06-09, 02:08 PM
all I've watched w/ any kind of semi-regularity after the strike was Lost after Pushing Daisies was axed. PD at the same time was why I didn't watch Chuck, now I watch Chuck, now Chuck's probably going to get canned. :irked: I need something campy, funny and quirky during the week, dammit!

nrc
04-06-09, 03:11 PM
Terminator has gotten pretty interesting these last few episodes. Characters are dropping like flies. Heroes continues to wander around lost, looking for someone or something to put it out of its misery. :/

Ankf00
04-06-09, 03:26 PM
Yea, I was huge on Heroes at first and now I couldn't care less. Funny how no TiVo changes things :D

G.
04-06-09, 03:30 PM
I need something campy, funny and quirky during the week, dammit!Twin Peaks rocked that demo. back in the day.

dando
04-06-09, 03:37 PM
all I've watched w/ any kind of semi-regularity after the strike was Lost after Pushing Daisies was axed. PD at the same time was why I didn't watch Chuck, now I watch Chuck, now Chuck's probably going to get canned. :irked: I need something campy, funny and quirky during the week, dammit!

Gr4QBZfjtqs

:gomer: :D

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-06-09, 03:44 PM

You can try Reaper on the CW. Although, it'll probably be cancelled as well.

Insomniac
04-06-09, 03:46 PM
Terminator has gotten pretty interesting these last few episodes. Characters are dropping like flies. Heroes continues to wander around lost, looking for someone or something to put it out of its misery. :/

TSCC has definitely picked up. Heroes has gotten somewhat better with the Pushing Daisies guy back on board.

Insomniac
04-06-09, 03:53 PM
And Rescue Me is back tomorrow!

oddlycalm
04-06-09, 05:53 PM
Breaking Bad is in season 2 :thumbup:

oc

nrc
04-06-09, 06:01 PM
TSCC has definitely picked up. Heroes has gotten somewhat better with the Pushing Daisies guy back on board.

Yes, it's improved since the "why are we still watching this?" days of Mohinder sliming people to his wall, but we wouldn't still be watching if this were the first season.

Ankf00
04-06-09, 06:28 PM
Yes, it's improved since the "why are we still watching this?" days of Mohinder sliming people to his wall

pretty much why I stopped watching, and I think it was How I Met Your Mother that I'd watch in favor of Chuck, before realizing Chuck was a full hour of mindless entertainment and I'd just watch HIMYM online if I heard the ep was really good. At least there will always be Barney Stinson.

Insomniac
04-07-09, 12:07 PM
Yes, it's improved since the "why are we still watching this?" days of Mohinder sliming people to his wall, but we wouldn't still be watching if this were the first season.

I agree. Only reason I'm still watching is I was watching from the beginning.

Insomniac
04-07-09, 12:09 PM
pretty much why I stopped watching, and I think it was How I Met Your Mother that I'd watch in favor of Chuck, before realizing Chuck was a full hour of mindless entertainment and I'd just watch HIMYM online if I heard the ep was really good. At least there will always be Barney Stinson.

I find its tag team partner, The Big Bang Theory entertaining. They renewed that show for 2 more seasons already.

TKGAngel
04-07-09, 02:08 PM
Lost has actually gotten pretty good again.

And The Tudors is back! The costuming and the set decoration are simply gorgeous.

TrueBrit
04-07-09, 03:25 PM
Deadliest Catch returns next Tuesday April 14th....

Got crabs?;)

TKGAngel
04-07-09, 04:21 PM
Mythbusters returns tomorrow, too.

Wonder how they're going to work Kari's pregnancy into the show.

nrc
04-07-09, 05:32 PM
Mythbusters returns tomorrow, too.

Wonder how they're going to work Kari's pregnancy into the show.

Maybe she was testing birth control myths. :D

pineapple
04-07-09, 08:50 PM
{snip}
And The Tudors is back! The costuming and the set decoration are simply gorgeous.
:thumbup: I second that, although it's strange not seeing the characters who had their head chopped last year.

If only "Rome" hadn't been prematurely, and stupidly, axed. :(

Ankf00
04-08-09, 12:10 AM
tried Reaper tonight, nowhere near as clever as Chuck, maybe if they worked in some Back to the Future, Untouchables, Big Lebowski quips...

Insomniac
04-08-09, 11:34 AM

And then they ruin it with the shape-shifter stuff. Let's have the viewers guess when it is Sylar or not Sylar!

Insomniac
04-08-09, 11:35 AM
tried Reaper tonight, nowhere near as clever as Chuck, maybe if they worked in some Back to the Future, Untouchables, Big Lebowski quips...

It's usually good for a few laughs. Chuck is definitely better (IMO) and hopefully won't be cancelled.

Ankf00
04-08-09, 04:14 PM
http://www.tv.com/story/13568.html?page=2

:\

Gnam
04-08-09, 04:18 PM
Reaper is heading off the rez. The incest (step sisters count) angle is creepy.

The History channel is starting a show about Patton on Friday. Looks like the battle scenes use the same animation as Dogfights and Battle 360: Enterprise.

KLang
04-08-09, 04:23 PM
http://www.tv.com/story/13568.html?page=2

:\

Crap :irked: I watch both Chuck and Terminator. I've got Dollhouse recorded but haven't watched yet.

Ankf00
04-08-09, 06:10 PM
Crap :irked: I watch both Chuck and Terminator. I've got Dollhouse recorded but haven't watched yet.

How can a show that constantly has video game geekery like the Call of Duty vs. Largemart strategy & the final level of Missile Commander AND mixes in theme & quote from old movies/shows like Back to the Future, Casablanca, Quantum Leap (w/ the Scott Bakula ep.) AND jams Bloc Party, Bon Iver, Hot Chip, Spoon, Franz, etc. fail? HOW?!?!?!

Even Chevy Chase's character was him playing his legendary, obnoxious, self-satisfied self that had him run out of Hollywood!

Genius.

Insomniac
04-09-09, 10:22 AM
How can a show that constantly has video game geekery like the Call of Duty vs. Largemart strategy & the final level of Missile Commander AND mixes in theme & quote from old movies/shows like Back to the Future, Casablanca, Quantum Leap (w/ the Scott Bakula ep.) AND jams Bloc Party, Bon Iver, Hot Chip, Spoon, Franz, etc. fail? HOW?!?!?!

Even Chevy Chase's character was him playing his legendary, obnoxious, self-satisfied self that had him run out of Hollywood!

Genius.

Long shot, but it is produced by Warner Brothers, maybe another network would be interested. It's the same production company as Supernatural, which will likely be done next season. CW? Nah. Too busy remaking Melrose Place and spinning off Gossop Girl prequels.

Reaper is ABC Studios, but I don't see that making it if CW dumps it.

TravelGal
04-09-09, 08:25 PM
OK, I'll say it outloud. I miss Fringe. The cow, Walter, the idiot woman with the blond hair. Extremely politely weird. I like it. It was back this week but I'm about a month behind in my Tivo stuff.

Insomniac
04-10-09, 10:24 AM
OK, I'll say it outloud. I miss Fringe. The cow, Walter, the idiot woman with the blond hair. Extremely politely weird. I like it. It was back this week but I'm about a month behind in my Tivo stuff.

They're running the last 6 episodes of the season straight now. You may be able to collect them and watch them all together.

Gnam
04-10-09, 01:51 PM
I saw a rerun of NBC's Kings last night on the Sci-Fi channel. :confused: :thumbup:

It's definately a soap opera, but it reminds me of Galactica. It's also not a cop/doctor/reality show, so it's got that going for it.

And with Magua on the cast there's a good chance someone will end up under his knife before he eats their heart and wipes out their seed.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/3141/magua2xp.jpg

High Sided
04-10-09, 02:06 PM
Harpers Island started last night on cbs, looks to be a good summer show for the tivo. you can watch the 1st episode online...
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/harpers_island/video/video.php?cid=826510639&pid=3TyqRD2bFgF_75DevKv5JYljYtAfYOGG&category=recent&play=true

dando
04-14-09, 07:39 PM
Terminated.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/04/scoop-fox-set-t.html?cnn=yes

-Kevin

KLang
04-14-09, 10:57 PM
Terminated.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/04/scoop-fox-set-t.html?cnn=yes

-Kevin

I will be bummed if it is really canceled. So many questions after the last episode. I watched the last couple minutes several times and I still don't know what the heck was going on. :confused:

nrc
04-15-09, 09:09 AM
I will be bummed if it is really canceled. So many questions after the last episode. I watched the last couple minutes several times and I still don't know what the heck was going on. :confused:

My speculation:

It appears that they've time travelled to an alternate future time line where John Connor is not the leader of the resistance and the human girl that Cameron's terminator was based on is alive. Weaver appears to be part of a another faction that opposes SkyNet, although they're not allied with John Connor's faction. This faction may be led by Weaver's daughter.

It seems like they would wait to see how the new Terminator movie does at the box office before deciding to pull the plug. It's a long time until fall, but a big hit might generate fresh interest.

Insomniac
04-15-09, 09:58 AM

Time travel makes things weird, but in this series, you can go back in time to change the future. I see one of two things with John Connor.

1. This is how it always happened. He time traveled to the future. They never show him in the future. Maybe he did start out as a kid and stayed behind the scenes for that reason. They don't say when he started to lead the resistance, so that could explain why Derek didn't recognize him.

2. As nrc said, John changed the future by time traveling so he never became the leader of the resistance.

Cameron is not Cameron. That is Alison. I believe this because the dog wasn't barking.

Insomniac
04-15-09, 10:05 AM
My speculation:

It appears that they've time travelled to an alternate future time line where John Connor is not the leader of the resistance and the human girl that Cameron's terminator was based on is alive. Weaver appears to be part of a another faction that opposes SkyNet, although they're not allied with John Connor's faction. This faction may be led by Weaver's daughter.

You think Savannah grew up to lead? Weaver didn't really feel she was key to anything. It was all about her "son" and John Connor.

I think Weaver somehow ties into the submarine episode. The whole "answer to the question thing". The liquid metal told Jesse the answer was no before they evacuated the sub. She later told Cameron the answer and Cameron told her what the question was. Then Weaver told Ellison to ask Cameron the question and she acted real weird at that point. I'm thinking they found someone to join them (Weaver) and she went back to help.

KLang
04-15-09, 10:25 AM
This episode was supposed to serve as either a season or series finale. I'm curious what the next season would have brought. If the series was to continue as the 'Sarah Connor Chronicles' wouldn't John have had to return to the past? That might have restored him as the leader in the future.

Insomniac
04-15-09, 12:22 PM
This episode was supposed to serve as either a season or series finale. I'm curious what the next season would have brought. If the series was to continue as the 'Sarah Connor Chronicles' wouldn't John have had to return to the past? That might have restored him as the leader in the future.

I had read that the creator said he wasn't going to make a series finale. He didn't want to wrap it up and make it easy for FOX to just dump it.

Came across this interview with Brian Austin Green: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20811

KLang
04-15-09, 01:07 PM
Came across this interview with Brian Austin Green: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20811

Thanks for the link, Good read. :thumbup:

Ankf00
04-21-09, 03:19 PM
The drive-in scene from Spies Like Us.

The forgiveness plea & seppuku scenes from Godfather II.

The slow-clap & carrying the woman out the building scene from Officer & a Gentleman.

Last Night's Chuck ftw. :laugh:

extramundane
04-21-09, 06:56 PM
The drive-in scene from Spies Like Us.

Won't you gentlemen have a Pepsi?

:thumbup:

Insomniac
04-22-09, 02:43 PM
What is NBC going to be showing during May sweeps on Mondays? Can't be good that Heroes and Chuck are done next week.

TKGAngel
04-22-09, 03:12 PM
What is NBC going to be showing during May sweeps on Mondays? Can't be good that Heroes and Chuck are done next week.

Technically, next week is the first week of May sweeps.

NBC is replacing Chuck with new episodes of Deal or No Deal.

And the network has moved the remaining episodes of Kings to the summer.

Meanwhile, the Food Network has announced a show called "What Will Brian Boitano Make?"

Insomniac
04-23-09, 12:23 AM
Technically, next week is the first week of May sweeps.

NBC is replacing Chuck with new episodes of Deal or No Deal.

Works for me. The DVR could use a break on Mondays.

Insomniac
04-24-09, 10:58 AM
Heroes is picked up for less episodes next season (18). Chuck still unknown. Subway is starting a "campaign" to save the show. By a sub, submit Save Chuck to their suggestion box.

ABC renewed Private Practice. :confused: They must be afraid to upset Shonda Rhimes.

extramundane
04-24-09, 11:26 AM
I'll probably take a beating for this, but I ended up watching and liking Pitchmen (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/pitchmen/pitchmen.html). Quite surprising, given that I usually can't turn the channel fast enough when a Billy Mays commercial comes on.

Ankf00
04-24-09, 02:44 PM
ABC renewed Private Practice. :confused: They must be afraid to upset Shonda Rhimes.

maybe their new pilots suck?

the 2 new NBC shows plummet in ratings, damn

Insomniac
04-25-09, 09:45 AM
maybe their new pilots suck?

the 2 new NBC shows plummet in ratings, damn

I'm going with my theory. ;) But I guess 8-9M viewers is enough. I'm just surprised it is for Thursday night. There's like a 6M viewer drop off following Grey's Anatomy.

Ankf00
04-25-09, 12:56 PM
networks do love their prime time medical soaps

oddlycalm
04-25-09, 07:09 PM
"Life" is another show that has a strong but small following that doesn't look like it'll be coming back. The network indicated that it's failure to build a strong following in the critical 12-19yr old retarded male market segment may be cause for cancellation....:\

oc

Insomniac
04-26-09, 03:24 PM
"Life" is another show that has a strong but small following that doesn't look like it'll be coming back. The network indicated that it's failure to build a strong following in the critical 12-19yr old retarded male market segment may be cause for cancellation....:\

oc

NBC is going to be making some tough calls since they're losing 5 hours of prime time for Leno. The writers strike really hurt some shows. I think Life was one of them. Lost a couple million viewers.

oddlycalm
04-26-09, 05:52 PM
NBC is going to be making some tough calls

IMO all three majors need to make tough calls if they want to remain relevant. They're positioning themselves to be the GM and Chrysler of the entertainment biz if they continue down the path they are on.

oc

Ankf00
04-26-09, 06:19 PM
reality TV == SUV/trucks

Insomniac
04-26-09, 06:41 PM
IMO all three majors need to make tough calls if they want to remain relevant. They're positioning themselves to be the GM and Chrysler of the entertainment biz if they continue down the path they are on.

oc

What do you mean? Who is eclipsing them?

Ankf00
04-28-09, 02:57 PM
"watch me for the changes."

:rofl:

dando
04-28-09, 03:21 PM
What do you mean? Who is eclipsing them?

They are being nibbled to death by the niche cable channels. Compare the ratings of 20 years ago with those of today, and they are half of what they were if not worse.

-Kevin

cameraman
04-28-09, 04:22 PM
We watch too much TV but none of it is on ABC, CBS, Fox or NBC.

Insomniac
04-28-09, 04:43 PM
They are being nibbled to death by the niche cable channels. Compare the ratings of 20 years ago with those of today, and they are half of what they were if not worse.

-Kevin

I'd say that's far from eclipsing though. They still have the biggest numbers by quite a bit. There is no question there is a lot more choices and cable/satellite is far, far more prevalent.

oddlycalm
04-28-09, 05:12 PM
I'd say that's far from eclipsing though. They still have the biggest numbers by quite a bit. There is no question there is a lot more choices and cable/satellite is far, far more prevalent.

Eclipse was your term. Losing half their market share to the competition in 20yrs = much worse than GM or Chrysler. It took GM more than twice as long to screw up that badly. If they continue with their traditional business models they will be running infomercials during prime time before long.

oc

Gnam
04-28-09, 05:57 PM
TNT has a show 'Trust Me' that is basically an hour long commercial for two or three products wrapped up in a drama.

Ankf00
04-28-09, 05:59 PM
Always Sunny, Flight of the Conchords, Wire, and many others >> broadcast

nrc
04-28-09, 10:33 PM
Heroes season finale: It's like they strapped it to a rocket and shot it over an ocean full of sharks. :rolleyes:

Insomniac
04-29-09, 08:34 AM
Eclipse was your term. Losing half their market share to the competition in 20yrs = much worse than GM or Chrysler. It took GM more than twice as long to screw up that badly. If they continue with their traditional business models they will be running infomercials during prime time before long.

oc

That was sneaky of me. :)

I guess I don't see it the same way as you do. Top shows are getting ~20M viewers. Generally anything on the ABC/CBS/NBC schedule is averaging in the 7M viewer range or it is likely cancelled. For CBS, they are dumping shows that get over 10M viewers. They are losing viewers, but I think with the variety offered now, it's basically impossible for them to keep all of them. But they still, by far (both individually and most definitely collectively) are doing better than any other channel or group of channels.

Insomniac
04-29-09, 08:35 AM
TNT has a show 'Trust Me' that is basically an hour long commercial for two or three products wrapped up in a drama.

TNT cancelled it after the first season. Mad Men ratings wasn't good enough.

Insomniac
04-29-09, 08:37 AM
Heroes season finale: It's like they strapped it to a rocket and shot it over an ocean full of sharks. :rolleyes:

Seemed like they just sent it right back to season 1. It still bugs me that Peter lost his original power.

Ankf00
04-30-09, 01:03 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/29/DDNL17A1BT.DTL

As the television season heads toward its whimpering close, let's take the broadcast networks at their word (no giggling, no tittering, no hissing!) and assume that they will make groundbreaking changes to the aging, broken model.

In lieu of that, wouldn't it be great if they just did the obvious - listened to what you wanted, what you like and don't like about the way they do business?

For seven years networks have been losing audience share. It might be helpful to find out why - from the source.

Here's a handy distillation of annoyances, for all the networks that have forgotten whom they work for:

:laugh:

Ankf00
05-04-09, 03:11 PM
travel gal is pleasantly surprised today, Fringe renewed.

KLang
05-04-09, 03:20 PM
Chuck is still on the bubble. :irked:

Insomniac
05-06-09, 02:25 PM
Life is gone.

oddlycalm
05-06-09, 06:57 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/29/DDNL17A1BT.DTL
:laugh:

Yep, it's not particle physics and he's not the first person to nail it. :D

oc

TravelGal
05-07-09, 06:53 PM
travel gal is pleasantly surprised today, Fringe renewed.

Hey, er, hola. Thanks for remembering. Yes I was both pleased and surprised.

Life is gone.

I'm a little behind in my Tivo's but the new partner, who started promisingly, seemed to turn into a jerk after a couple of episodes. I am using that to tell myself I'm not so sad about losing this low-key, witty show. But I am. I learned more about Zen from him than I ever did from any book.

Insomniac
05-09-09, 05:29 PM
I'm a little behind in my Tivo's but the new partner, who started promisingly, seemed to turn into a jerk after a couple of episodes. I am using that to tell myself I'm not so sad about losing this low-key, witty show. But I am. I learned more about Zen from him than I ever did from any book.

Sarah Shahi was only gone because of her pregnancy. The new partner was always just temporary during her absence. Personally, I like Gabrielle Union, but Sarah Shahi worked better as his partner.

TravelGal
05-10-09, 12:35 AM
Sarah Shahi was only gone because of her pregnancy. The new partner was always just temporary during her absence. Personally, I like Gabrielle Union, but Sarah Shahi worked better as his partner.

I figured there was some outside reason she left for a while. I also liked the new partner but in her third (?) episode the writing for her was pretty poor. She returned to form in the last episode, which I just saw this week. I thought it was one of their better eps, which is always nice for a finale. Too bad there are 3 blanks left on Charlie's rogues gallery. I thought they had finally gotten a good ensemble (loved the British B!tch of a detective!) but sometimes these things jell way too late.

KLang
05-18-09, 10:44 AM
13 episode order for Chuck. :thumbup:

Ankf00
05-18-09, 07:32 PM
w00t!

Insomniac
05-18-09, 07:57 PM
TSCC is done. But Dollhouse gets renewed. :confused:

I'm surprised Scrubs will be back.

nrc
05-18-09, 11:42 PM
TSCC: Grrr. A network once again punishes their viewers for becoming engaged in a show. And they wonder why they can't get anyone to watch their new stuff. Maybe all the Terminator fans should get together and send
them bags of nuts (the "...and bolts" kind).

USA is doing it right with a final season of Monk to end the series and (hopefully) wrap up the loose ends.

Rescue Me continues to be very good.

I like Scrubs, but I think it's pretty well spent.

TKGAngel
05-19-09, 08:01 AM
TSCC is done. But Dollhouse gets renewed. :confused:

I'm surprised Scrubs will be back.

One interview I read had a Fox muckety-muck quoted as saying they were afraid of the response from Joss Whedon fans if Dollhouse was cancelled.

extramundane
05-19-09, 08:11 AM
Rescue Me continues to be very good.

:thumbup: Possibly my favorite show currently on TV.