PDA

View Full Version : TV Viewing - Post Sopranos

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Ankf00
05-19-09, 01:08 PM
Rescue Me lost me when Leary went full emo. Was the last season much improved?

Insomniac
05-19-09, 02:51 PM
TSCC: Grrr. A network once again punishes their viewers for becoming engaged in a show. And they wonder why they can't get anyone to watch their new stuff. Maybe all the Terminator fans should get together and send
them bags of nuts (the "...and bolts" kind).

USA is doing it right with a final season of Monk to end the series and (hopefully) wrap up the loose ends.

Rescue Me continues to be very good.

I like Scrubs, but I think it's pretty well spent.

I believe I read that Monk would get proper send off. John C. McGinley better be back on Scrubs. I can see new interns/residents, but if there is no Dr. Cox (and the Janitor), it really is a different show.

Insomniac
05-19-09, 02:54 PM
One interview I read had a Fox muckety-muck quoted as saying they were afraid of the response from Joss Whedon fans if Dollhouse was cancelled.

I like how he said that they gave TSCC a chance. It was awfully nice of them to move it from Monday to Friday, lose 1/3+ of their audience then complain about lower ratings. Then renew the show that did even worse following it. I think this is the first Whedon show I've ever seen. Not sure what the love for him is. "Hit" shows on WB/UPN?

Insomniac
05-19-09, 02:56 PM

No idea what you're talking about. If Leary is in, it's awesome. :D

G.
05-19-09, 03:46 PM

I haven't gotten to the dvr yet, but what I caught had Leary back to full blown ahole. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
05-19-09, 04:06 PM
I haven't gotten to the dvr yet, but what I caught had Leary back to full blown ahole. :thumbup:

Seems like this season is more theatrical with long winded rants and speeches, but the writing is still top drawer. The scenes with Michael J. Fox as a badass gimp are pretty funny, especially the one where Fox is driving through the city WFO with Leary handing him beers and the next scene where Leary swaps his meds. :laugh:

oc

Ankf00
05-19-09, 06:19 PM
The scenes with Michael J. Fox as a badass gimp are pretty funny, especially the one where Fox is driving through the city WFO with Leary handing him beers and the next scene where Leary swaps his meds. :laugh:

oc

Sounds like I'm missing out.

G.
05-19-09, 06:21 PM
Seems like this season is more theatrical with long winded rants and speeches, but the writing is still top drawer. The scenes with Michael J. Fox as a badass gimp are pretty funny, especially the one where Fox is driving through the city WFO with Leary handing him beers and the next scene where Leary swaps his meds. :laugh:

ocCaught that!

Yes, great scene!

nrc
05-20-09, 09:23 AM
"Here's some fashion advice: you shouldn’t wear yellow because kids might try to ride you to school." :D

Meanwhile it looks like My Name is Earl may also get the ax. :(

dando
05-20-09, 10:06 AM

:cry:

Raising Arizona for TV. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Insomniac
05-20-09, 10:31 AM
Caught that!

Yes, great scene!

And the one before where Tommy finds out he's a paraplegic.

Insomniac
05-20-09, 10:32 AM

It did, but they're speculating FOX may pick it up. I still watch it, but it is very up and down the last year or 2.

Ankf00
05-20-09, 03:47 PM
My Name is Earl was greatness, but it's kind of run its course I think. Same with the Office until the Michael Scott Paper Company incident.

Law & Order should die. :gomer:

Can't believe Better Off Ted got picked up, only watched half of a couple of episodes but loved it.

Insomniac
05-20-09, 03:59 PM
Can't believe Better Off Ted got picked up, only watched half of a couple of episodes but loved it.

ABC finally cleared some space dumping According to Jim. :)

TKGAngel
05-20-09, 04:02 PM
My Name is Earl was greatness, but it's kind of run its course I think. Same with the Office until the Michael Scott Paper Company incident.

What did you think of The Office season finale? Judging from how it was received in my office, women loved it, but men thought it was meh.

(And I really want a DM Buffalo shirt. Get on it already, NBC! :))

Ankf00
05-20-09, 04:57 PM
meh.

ABC finally cleared some space dumping According to Jim. :)

praise jeebus!

Insomniac
05-21-09, 10:26 AM
What did you think of The Office season finale? Judging from how it was received in my office, women loved it, but men thought it was meh.

(And I really want a DM Buffalo shirt. Get on it already, NBC! :))

I thought it was meh. More hilarity at the volleyball game would've been better. One thing that has made the Simpsons last so long is the characters don't age/grow. They always have to do stuff with the character4s in these shows that changes the show slowly.

oddlycalm
05-21-09, 12:34 PM
Law & Order should die. :gomer:
Which one? There are still three flavors of L&O airing north of what, 60 new episodes every season? Combine that with the re-airs of seasons past on multiple channels and it's probably on over 1000 times a year in some form. The old episodes from the early 90's with Paul Sorvino, etc. are being re-aired in some form of HD.... :laugh: If all three were canceled half the actors in NYC would be unemployed.:\

oc

Ankf00
05-21-09, 06:57 PM
Law & Order: Unemployed Actors, this Fall on NBC

Insomniac
05-22-09, 10:33 AM
Full Cancellation List:

ABC:
Cupid
In the Motherhood
Samantha Who?
The Unusuals

CBS:
Eleventh Hour
Harper’s Island
The Unit
Without a Trace
Worst Week

FOX:
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

NBC:
Kath & Kim
Life
Lipstick Jungle
Medium (Moving to CBS)
My Name Is Earl

CW:
Privileged
Reaper

oddlycalm
05-22-09, 02:44 PM
Full Cancellation List:

Ironically with a couple of the more well written shows among them. Most, if not all, to be replaced by unscripted dreck. :shakehead Only on American network television could a show by David Mamet get canceled and replaced by the Idiot Gibberish Hour. :gomer:

cameraman
05-22-09, 03:47 PM
Full Cancellation List:

ABC:
Cupid
In the Motherhood
Samantha Who?
The Unusuals

CBS:
Eleventh Hour
Harper’s Island
The Unit
Without a Trace
Worst Week

FOX:
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

NBC:
Kath & Kim
Life
Lipstick Jungle
Medium (Moving to CBS)
My Name Is Earl

CW:
Privileged
Reaper

I can honestly say I've never seen an episode of anything on that list.

dando
05-22-09, 04:51 PM
I can honestly say I've never seen an episode of anything on that list.

Just can't compete with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, eh? :gomer: ;) Earl was quirky Coen Brothersesque when it first came out, but I quit following it after the second season or so.

-Kevin

cameraman
05-22-09, 04:56 PM
Just can't compete with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, eh? :gomer: ;) Earl was quirky Coen Brosesque when it first came out, but I quite following it after the second season or so.

-Kevin

Actually that was the last show on network TV that I watched every week.

Gnam
05-22-09, 05:21 PM
My name is Earl reminds me of Joe Dirt. I may not want to watch it everytime it's on, but I feel better about America knowing it's on somewhere.

Life's a garden...Dig it. :thumbup:

Gnam
06-04-09, 02:53 PM
Burn Notice returns tonight at 9pm. :cool:

TravelGal
06-04-09, 07:41 PM
Full Cancellation List:

CBS:

The Unit
Without a Trace

NBC:
Life

I expected (and lamented) Life and probably The Unit (it got way too off the reservation from its original premise) but Without a Trace? Oh NO.

But if I had to choose between that and Cold Case, which it apparently came down to, I'd have made the same call. Still, I'm hating that Trace will be gone. :(

TravelGal
06-04-09, 07:42 PM
Burn Notice returns tonight at 9pm. :cool:

OOOOOOOh, yeah.

Shall we shoot him? :thumbup:

Gnam
06-05-09, 01:37 PM
Burn Notice = still good. :thumbup:

Also, the new series Royal Pains is suprising watchable.
The part about the smashed up Ferrari 430 Challenge was a nice touch.

stroker
06-06-09, 12:08 AM
Full Cancellation List:

ABC:
Cupid
In the Motherhood
Samantha Who?
The Unusuals

how the hell did "Private Practice" manage to not get axed?

Insomniac
06-06-09, 12:23 PM
how the hell did "Private Practice" manage to not get axed?

My working theories are they don't want to make Shonda Rhimes mad and they were able to get the viewers over 8M (~6M seems to be the cancellation threshold for ABC) by moving it to after Grey's. It can't stand on its own though.

Insomniac
06-06-09, 12:26 PM
Burn Notice = still good. :thumbup:

Also, the new series Royal Pains is suprising watchable.
The part about the smashed up Ferrari 430 Challenge was a nice touch.

"How are you going to get that repaired in 10 days?"
"I just have to replace it in 10 days."

stroker
06-06-09, 02:19 PM
My working theories are they don't want to make Shonda Rhimes mad and they were able to get the viewers over 8M (~6M seems to be the cancellation threshold for ABC) by moving it to after Grey's. It can't stand on its own though.

If only they'd apply that standard to the IRL...

nrc
06-12-09, 02:57 AM
Last chance for Earl exhausted.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090611/D98ONKOG0.html

Ankf00
06-12-09, 02:07 PM
well this sucks [/penguins]

trish
06-28-09, 12:50 PM
I'll probably take a beating for this, but I ended up watching and liking Pitchmen (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/pitchmen/pitchmen.html). Quite surprising, given that I usually can't turn the channel fast enough when a Billy Mays commercial comes on.

Guess who's dead?

KLang
06-28-09, 01:42 PM
Guess who's dead?

And it qualifies as 'breaking news' at CNN. :confused:

grungex
06-28-09, 03:16 PM
This is odd:

Mays was on board a US Airways flight that blew out its front tires as it landed at a Tampa airport on Saturday, MyFOXTampa.com reported.

US Airways spokesman Jim Olson said that none of the 138 passengers and five crew members were injured in the incident, but several passengers reported having bumps and bruises, according to the station.

Authorities have not said whether Mays' death was related to the incident.

Faux News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529328,00.html?mep)

trish
08-26-09, 09:18 PM
I just turned to ABC and they have a show called Crash Course on right now. Some extreme driving course contest.

Edit: I'll be slightly surprised if this show doesn't kill a contestant.

TravelGal
08-27-09, 03:39 PM
Is anyone watching Warehouse 13? Some eps are intriguing and some make me want to :yuck: I'm a few eps behind but I realize I don't care. Should I?

trish
08-27-09, 06:51 PM
Is anyone watching Warehouse 13? Some eps are intriguing and some make me want to :yuck: I'm a few eps behind but I realize I don't care. Should I?

Is that on HBO?

TKGAngel
08-27-09, 07:39 PM
I'm glad Top Chef and Project Runway are back.

The Office is filming in WNY today. I guess they have to make it good somehow for closing the Buffalo Branch of Dunder Mifflin. :)

trish
08-27-09, 08:49 PM
I have to confess to an increasing addiction to the Oxygen channel. :o

dando
08-27-09, 09:08 PM
I have to confess to an increasing addiction to the Oxygen channel. :o

Banned. :gomer:

-Kevin

trish
08-27-09, 09:19 PM
Banned. :gomer:

-Kevin

You haven't lived until you've watched Addicted to Beauty. :D

Now, back to the Snapped marathon.

Robstar
08-27-09, 10:03 PM
Anyone watching Mad Men Season 3?
So love it...
Entourage Season 6, Nurse Jackie & Hung I'm getting quite into too...

Indy
08-28-09, 01:46 AM
Top Chef :thumbup:

indyfan31
08-28-09, 10:49 AM

I'm having the same reaction to it, some very good, some not so much.
I'm just glad Eureka's back.

rosawendel
08-28-09, 11:44 AM
Wheeler Dealers and Auto Trader (on HD Theatre) are good for learning british car lingo, what with their "wings", "boots", "bonnets", and such. Crackin!

TravelGal
08-29-09, 12:51 AM
Is that on HBO?

Warehouse 13 is on "Syfy" That's for :gomer:s who can't spell SciFi. :shakehead

oddlycalm
08-29-09, 01:29 AM
So love it...
Entourage Season 6, Nurse Jackie & Hung I'm getting quite into too...
Mad Men and Entourage definitely.

oc

G.
09-08-09, 09:12 PM
"Sons Of Anarchy" in 55 mins...

:thumbup:

oddlycalm
09-21-09, 03:16 PM
So love it...

Last night the episode aired where the new account manager from the UK gets his foot shredded by a drunk secretary on a John Deere riding mower during an office party. :eek: Gotta say, didn't see that one coming. "He will never play golf again..." :laugh:

oc

nrc
09-21-09, 11:02 PM
Heroes started tonight. I'm afraid to look. :eek:

stroker
09-21-09, 11:18 PM
House.

SteveH
09-21-09, 11:42 PM
House.

agree, best House ever although Ken Kesey should gotten a writer's credit

Elmo T
01-06-10, 04:40 PM
For all of The Wire fans, get your Wire swag here. (http://www.karmaloop.com/search/search.aspx?page=1&keywords=the%20wire&msid=&refine=y&Brand=Milkcrate+Athletics) I am thinking about picking up the Omar shirt or the Avon Barksdale one. :thumbup:

Robstar
01-06-10, 07:53 PM
Been getting into Modern Family too... Hilarious :laugh:

TKGAngel
01-06-10, 08:34 PM
I've really enjoyed Glee and can't wait until it's back in April.

Idol starts next week and the beginning of the end of Lost starts next month.

Jersey Shore has been my recent guilty pleasure.

oddlycalm
01-06-10, 09:25 PM
I am thinking about picking up the Omar shirt or the Avon Barksdale one. :thumbup:
Nice, Omar on a black T has that mad dog killer look for summer evenings out with the family. :laugh:

I was watching some old "Homicide: Life on the Street" episodes over the holidays and, aside from have some of the same actors, it certainly has a similar vibe to "The Wire". Gave the son a boxed set of the complete series as it was one of his favorites.

oc

Ankf00
01-28-10, 09:17 PM
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/28/oceanic.jpg

Gnam
01-28-10, 09:49 PM
^ this MEANS something.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3641/sjff03img1064.jpg

Ankf00
01-28-10, 10:07 PM
it's $4815.16 before tax too

kayak points to oceanic-air.com :laugh:

allsome.

TKGAngel
01-31-10, 10:52 PM
I know some of you here are Deadliest Catch fans. I saw this on another board I visit.

Captain Phil has stroke, at hospital in Anchorage (http://community.adn.com/adn/node/147436)

nrc
01-31-10, 11:12 PM
I know some of you here are Deadliest Catch fans. I saw this on another board I visit.

Captain Phil has stroke, at hospital in Anchorage (http://community.adn.com/adn/node/147436)

Can't say that's a great surprise. :( Hope he gets well soon.

nrc
01-31-10, 11:49 PM
Speilberg, Hanks, and Goetzman, Producers of Band of Brothers have a 10 part mini-series about the war in the Pacific on tap for March.

smoNSbMs9Yo

dando
02-01-10, 12:16 AM
Speilberg, Hanks, and Goetzman, Producers of Band of Brothers have a 10 part mini-series about the war in the Pacific on tap for March.

Damn you, HBO. </seinfeld newman speak> ;)

-Kevin

Elmo T
02-03-10, 06:03 PM
For the Wire fans - with obviously NSFW language -

100 Greatest Quotes from The Wire (http://www.pajiba.com/guides/the-100-greatest-quotes-from-the-wire.php)

Another 100 Quotes from The Wire (http://www.pajiba.com/guides/another-100-great-quotes-from-the-wire.php)

Makes me realize how much I miss that show. :thumbup:

"Good night po-po's, good night fiends, good night hoppers, good night hustlers, good night scammers, good night to everybody, good night to one and all..."

oddlycalm
02-03-10, 10:37 PM
For the Wire fans - with obviously NSFW language

Makes me realize how much I miss that show. :thumbup:

Wow, he did a great job with the 100 best quote videos. I can think of hundreds more. :thumbup:

Agreed, The Wire showed how good TV can be. It also demonstrated that the TV audience for urban reality is substantially smaller than for vampire fantasies and other fluff, regardless of how good the writing and acting is. :(

oc

PS Pajiba's review of the Grammy's had me laughing my tail off. :thumbup:

Sean Malone
02-03-10, 10:59 PM
Wow, he did a great job with the 100 best quote videos. I can think of hundreds more. :thumbup:

Agreed, The Wire showed how good TV can be. It also demonstrated that the TV audience for urban reality is substantially smaller than for vampire fantasies and other fluff, regardless of how good the writing and acting is. :(

oc

PS Pajiba's review of the Grammy's had me laughing my tail off. :thumbup:

Meh. There's a saying in hollywood that goes "it's easy to act like a mentally challenged person". I just made that up but it is a real saying there. The same goes with "gangster from da hood".
I made it through 2 minutes of that best of quote clip, which is a minute longer than any full episode I landed on while flipping around.:) and no, I don't care if it's Bourdains favorite TV show. :D

indyfan31
02-04-10, 12:52 PM
Same here, but I couldn't make it through the self-congratulatory article, much less the "quotes". I still don't get how obscenities have been elevated to an art form.

dando
02-04-10, 12:57 PM
I still don't get how obscenities have been elevated to an art form.

George. Carlin. :)

-Kevin

High Sided
02-04-10, 02:46 PM
a new fx drama "justified" looks like it could be a good one.
"damages" season 3 has gotten off to a good start.
0HbBCx8avfI

oddlycalm
02-04-10, 07:56 PM
George. Carlin. :)
Lenny Bruce --> George Carlin --> Richard Prior --> Quentin Tarantino

oc

nrc
03-07-10, 11:33 PM
The Pacific starts Sunday 3/14. Set your Tivos.

http://www3.tivo.com:80/tivo-tco/oneclick.do?searchCriteria=2049|programsearch|tivo :cl.160038649

M5Z6-DihMM0

G.
03-08-10, 02:34 PM
anybody catching Modern Family (http://abc.go.com/shows/modern-family) ?

I've made the decision to set the DVR to catch this sitcom. I don't make that decision lightly. :laugh:

I've only seen parts of an episode or two, and caught myself laughing. I can't think of the last sitcom that made me do that, maybe Arrested Development.

Actually, it's probably Chowder (http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/chowder/index.html?hpt=hp_Q1_Schedule1) , so what do I know. :\

Pacific BETTER deliver!

oddlycalm
03-08-10, 03:35 PM
Pacific BETTER deliver!
Careful, no spoilers....:gomer:

oc

oddlycalm
03-15-10, 06:02 PM
The Pacific starts Sunday 3/14. Set your Tivos.

Quite a real life character. The true story seems heavier than anything a screen writer could make up.

John Basilone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Basilone)

oc

Gnam
03-15-10, 06:05 PM
If anyone has DirecTV but not HBO, the Pacific series is being rebroadcast on DirecTV's 101 channel. For now, the schedule shows three upcoming episodes.

Ankf00
03-15-10, 06:21 PM
The true story seems heavier than anything a screen writer could make up.

John Basilone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Basilone)

oc

he certainly does mark twain proud

oddlycalm
03-15-10, 08:01 PM
For now, the schedule shows three upcoming episodes.
Looks like there will be 10 episodes although you'd never know that by looking at HBO's site.

oc

nrc
03-15-10, 10:31 PM
I was pretty pleased with the first episode. It didn't seem quite as cohesive has BoB but it's promising and just getting started.

I'm happy to see that they're not shying away from showing the real attitudes and actions of that period - for either side. I'm surprised that the sensitivity police haven't gone on alert over it.

I did spot what looked like a flight of Corsairs in one shot and it's still too early for those. It was Wildcats and Dauntless aircraft in that first invasion as a I recall.

stroker
03-16-10, 09:38 AM
Anyone else going to make an effort to see "Justified?"

Gnam
03-16-10, 12:14 PM
I was pretty pleased with the first episode. It didn't seem quite as cohesive has BoB but it's promising and just getting started.

"Where's the Navy?"

:eek: & :laugh: at the same time.

Ankf00
03-16-10, 06:05 PM
wasn't the first ep of BoB training camp and ******* commanding officer?

nrc
03-16-10, 06:51 PM
Yes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Band_of_Brothers_episodes) The conflict with Sobel gave a pretty consistent story arc as they introduced the characters. The Pacific necessarily jumped around more.

Gnam
03-17-10, 04:59 PM
Anyone else going to make an effort to see "Justified?"

I watched the first episode. :shakehead

Quickdraw gunfighter w/ cowboy hat (shades of Patrick Swayze in Next of Kin)
but he'll only shoot after the other guy draws first (just like Han Solo ;))
from Kentucky, likes fried chicken, moonshine, & guns, but doesn't smoke
saves hometown from Nazis (now he's Indiana Jones)
US Marshall driving a Lincoln Town Car :saywhat:
Doug E Doug complete with Jamaican accent, where's the bobsled? (Cool Runnings!)
Federal agents capture instead of kill two armed bank robbers who open up on them with AK-47s. (Didn't they see Heat?)

stroker
03-17-10, 07:37 PM
I watched the first episode. :shakehead

Federal agents capture instead of kill two armed bank robbers who open up on them with AK-47s. (Didn't they see Heat?)

I think they were the full auto version of the Mini-14 ("AC-56" IIRC???). No self-respecting White Supremacist would shoot a Commie rifle...:) But I get your point.

I thought it was okay for TV. I generally like Elmore Leonard but I see his stories as kind of formulaic when it comes to characters. This does not have his normal style so it's kind of a refreshing change for me. I liked that the local members of the Aryan Brotherhood might have managed to graduate 4th grade but I don't think the characters were as vicious as they would have been in reality.

oddlycalm
03-22-10, 02:50 PM
Caught the 'Breaking Bad' season 3 opener. Pretty good.

I heard this season is going to be darker. :saywhat: Like the first two weren't really dark...? :laugh:

oc

oddlycalm
03-22-10, 03:42 PM
I generally like Elmore Leonard but I see his stories as kind of formulaic when it comes to characters. This does not have his normal style so it's kind of a refreshing change for me. I liked that the local members of the Aryan Brotherhood might have managed to graduate 4th grade but I don't think the characters were as vicious as they would have been in reality.
"Justified" seems a bit like Shane Vendrell (The Shield) goes Aryan Nation and meets "Deadwood." Agreed, a bit of a departure for Leonard. Basically a script right out of a western set in the modern day. If the Aryan Brotherhood characters were accurate they certainly wouldn't be useful for comic relief. Plenty of testosterone.

oc

Elmo T
03-31-10, 03:07 PM
I've been looking forward to watching Treme.

This came as a shock today - only 48yo. :(

'Wire,' 'Treme' writer David Mills dies (http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/31/wire-treme-writer-david-mills-dies/?hpt=T2)

Sean Malone
03-31-10, 03:56 PM

I'm happy to see that they're not shying away from showing the real attitudes and actions of that period - for either side. I'm surprised that the sensitivity police haven't gone on alert over it.

I did spot what looked like a flight of Corsairs in one shot and it's still too early for those. It was Wildcats and Dauntless aircraft in that first invasion as a I recall.

I've been watching. I'm more of a Euro theater guy myself, but I've enjoyed the first 3 eps so far. I'm glad ep 3 focused a bit more on character development. I felt too detached during the first 2 eps. I was surprised that they jumped right into the action in the first show, granted they wouldn't want to just duplicate the BoB template just set in the Pacific. So far so good and I expect it to keep getting better.

The previews for Boardwalk Empire look absolutely savory!

oddlycalm
03-31-10, 08:41 PM
I've been looking forward to watching Treme.

This came as a shock today - only 48yo. :(

'Wire,' 'Treme' writer David Mills dies (http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/31/wire-treme-writer-david-mills-dies/?hpt=T2)

:( Yeah, I'm guessing that was a shocker for everyone.

oc

nrc
05-04-10, 11:20 PM
So we're nearly through "The Pacific" and not much comment here. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed in the series, I'm just not quite sure what to make of it. It's hard to compare with BoB because they set about telling the story in a very different way. I think it's successful in a lot of ways, but ultimately it's not as engaging as BoB.

The Pacific really captures the period and the lives of the men who went through hell in the Pacific in a way that BoB didn't really attempt. They're fully formed human beings who lived and loved and had their lives and bodies torn apart by something they had no control over. It's a great accomplishment and a tribute to those men, but it lacks the relentless pace that made BoB so compelling.

Methanolandbrats
05-04-10, 11:27 PM
:thumbup:NBA playoffs.

Ankf00
05-05-10, 12:41 AM
So we're nearly through "The Pacific" and not much comment here. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed in the series, I'm just not quite sure what to make of it. It's hard to compare with BoB because they set about telling the story in a very different way. I think it's successful in a lot of ways, but ultimately it's not as engaging as BoB.

The Pacific really captures the period and the lives of the men who went through hell in the Pacific in a way that BoB didn't really attempt. They're fully formed human beings who lived and loved and had their lives and bodies torn apart by something they had no control over. It's a great accomplishment and a tribute to those men, but it lacks the relentless pace that made BoB so compelling.

the insurmountable problem is that it's impossible to tell the story of the pacific theater in a similar manner as european, it just won't make for as good of a series. marine units were cycled out after a certain metric (don't remember if it was 3 campaigns or certain amount of combat days), so you have to cycle through characters to get to so many major battles.

many major battles were primarily naval, the decisive moment of guadalcanal certainly were, so there's no real story for the marines we're on the island, peleliu destroyed 1st marine division, think 60% in caskets :\, so there goes that story, iwo jima was almost as atrocious so hard to bring the same characters on an arc through all these battles, then okinawa, no mention of philippines since the place in time doesnt allow it to fit in this story.

to get a half decent intertwined story for the other war, they need memoirs of 2 diff guys who cycled in at diff times, plus the collected stories of Basilone

TravelGal
05-05-10, 02:00 AM
On a much less somber topic, we're enjoying Human Target. I don't like any of the actors but together they make a weirdly fascinating, incompatible mob.

Ankf00
05-05-10, 02:33 AM
we're enjoying Human Target.

:saywhat:

KLang
05-05-10, 08:29 AM
On a much less somber topic, we're enjoying Human Target. I don't like any of the actors but together they make a weirdly fascinating, incompatible mob.

I'm enjoying it too. Fairly mindless stuff but enjoyable. Haven't seen if it will be back again.

oddlycalm
05-05-10, 03:04 PM
the insurmountable problem is that it's impossible to tell the story of the pacific theater in a similar manner as european
Yeah, it would take a lot more that ten 40 minute episodes to begin to cover the sweep of the pacific theater. They've done a good job of what they have done as far as it's gone. I'd assumed they would end with Okinawa and VJ day, but Iwo Jima is part 9 and time is running out.

oc