PDA

View Full Version : Fall is in the Air!! - Football

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

nrc
09-01-07, 02:48 PM
Go educate yourself and read the article in the WSJ last week about the NFL Network and how stupily the NFL has handled that. The BTN is no different, but perhaps more misguided. :irked:

-Kevin
The BTN network is different. The NFL allows local stations to carry the games in the teams' market. Nobody is missing an NFL network game that they would have gotten before.

I just wonder if DirecTV is paying the same rate for these stations that they're trying to extract from the cable companies. Getting on DirecTV is a means of applying pressure on the cable companies who want to avoid losing customers to satellite. But without that lever they'd never even get off the ground.

dando
09-01-07, 03:36 PM
The BTN network is different. The NFL allows local stations to carry the games in the teams' market. Nobody is missing an NFL network game that they would have gotten before.

Yes, the BTN is different than the NFL Network, but the NFL is also larger and more national than the Big 10 +1. I'm sure the team owners would have had a fit if the NFL pulled games off local TV. However, the tactics are the same. Put pressure on the cables cos. by getting onto DTV and using that lever to exort the cable cos. In both cases, this largely hasn't worked with a few exceptions. What was interesting about that article was how the NFL forced it's way onto DTV via the NFLST, and then trashed its only real cable partner in Comcast by trumping its bid to put NFL games on OLN (now Vs) to put games on the NFL Network. As a result, Comcast pulled the NFL off the basic tier and put it on a premium tier. The two are now in court over this.

-Kevin

dando
09-01-07, 03:37 PM
I don't know what is funnier, the current score of the UM-Appalachian State game, or the complete lack of commercials on the Big Ten Network. :rofl:

It was great for watching the game in The Shoe. Quickest game I've seen in years. :thumbup: :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
09-01-07, 03:38 PM
HALF

Appalach St 28
Michigan 17

And App St. drives inside the UM 5 with :30 left. :laugh: :rofl:

Gotta love LLLLLLLoyd Carr. :gomer:

Final 34-32 App St. :rofl:

-Kevin

greenie
09-01-07, 03:45 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Pretty lame, but I was watching that on espn gamecast - Michigan takes a swift kick. Hysterical!

Wisconsin's next.

coolhand
09-01-07, 03:47 PM
App state got lucky there. they left to much time after their last score. When UM was throwing bombs you knew a PI would happen. Their receivers had a big advantage at that scenario.

They blocked tow kicks though :rofl:

nrc
09-01-07, 05:47 PM
What was interesting about that article was how the NFL forced it's way onto DTV via the NFLST, ...
I don't think the NFL forced anything. DTV lives on Sunday Ticket and carrying one extra network to preserve that exclusivity is nothing to them. It's not like they're using any bandwith for it. When there's not a live game on it looks more like a modern art project than a video feed.

Anyway, it was worth having the BTN today just to see the look of horror on the faces of Michigan fans.

WickerBill
09-01-07, 05:53 PM
Everything bad about Lloyd Carr was evident today. AppSt is good -- no question about it -- but Michigan should have put up 50 on these guys. When Carr "retires" at the end of this year, it will be about 2 years too late.

dando
09-01-07, 06:24 PM
I don't think the NFL forced anything. DTV lives on Sunday Ticket and carrying one extra network to preserve that exclusivity is nothing to them. It's not like they're using any bandwith for it. When there's not a live game on it looks more like a modern art project than a video feed.

Anyway, it was worth having the BTN today just to see the look of horror on the faces of Michigan fans.

Perhaps forced was the wrong word...it more like the NFL used the package for placement, and then they used a carrot for Comcast to bid on an NFL package for placement on their basic tier. In any case, the article was pretty damning about the tactics being used by both. Not sure about the quality of the NFL Net...it's on @ BWs on Bethel Rd. daily in the afternoon and it looks fine to me. Odd.

Agreed it would have been worth seeing BTN just to see LLLLLloyd Carr's face get longer. :D

-Kevin

skaven
09-01-07, 06:29 PM
Florida didn't look too good today. Tebow can't pass and our young and inexperienced D gave up almost three times as many yards to Western Kentucky as OSU. :(

And Appalachian State University is, indeed, HOT HOT HOT ! ! ! ! :rofl:

Spicoli
09-01-07, 07:00 PM
Tough day to be an IRISH fan. But they finally put Clausen in. jones looked like ****.

dando
09-01-07, 07:46 PM
I just spoke to a friend in Austin, and apparently the BTN not only screws fans that don't have it, any ABC/E$PN not carried regionally aren't carried on E$PN Gameplan any longer. The Wisky/Wazzu game wasn't available down there. Nice move Delaney, you ******. :saywhat: :shakehead :mad:

-Kevin

jcollins28
09-01-07, 08:16 PM
Tough day to be an IRISH fan. But they finally put Clausen in. jones looked like ****.

I can't wait to get our revenge for last year on your sorry a**. To bad Brady can not be their for it. God I hate Dorrell for last year. I hope UCLA puts up fifty on ND this year.

nrc
09-01-07, 08:19 PM
Not sure about the quality of the NFL Net...it's on @ BWs on Bethel Rd. daily in the afternoon and it looks fine to me. Odd.
Do they use DirecTV as their feed? That's where the problem lies.

RHR_Fan
09-01-07, 09:04 PM
Since our cable provider (Charter) isn't providing the BTN (yet), what do you guys think? Besides for missing games, which I can catch via radio, am I really missing anything?

~Nicole

dando
09-01-07, 09:09 PM
Do they use DirecTV as their feed? That's where the problem lies.

Yup. BWs is all DTV. (I know, you don't care for 'slimy' wings) :)

-Kevin

Insomniac
09-01-07, 09:28 PM
App state got lucky there. they left to much time after their last score. When UM was throwing bombs you knew a PI would happen. Their receivers had a big advantage at that scenario.

They blocked tow kicks though :rofl:

Yup, very lucky. That coach is an idiot. 30 seconds left, Michigan has a timeout, inside the 5, 1st down. The decision is to send out the kicker? Not only that, but when they are on the hash mark? FG puts you up by only 2.

They didn't take a shot (could run or pass, then spike it if they don't score).

They didn't run the ball to the center and take a knee and force Michigan to use their last timeout, and if they didn't they could spike it.

Insomniac
09-01-07, 09:29 PM
Everything bad about Lloyd Carr was evident today. AppSt is good -- no question about it -- but Michigan should have put up 50 on these guys. When Carr "retires" at the end of this year, it will be about 2 years too late.

I'm just amused knowing they paid them to come there so they could beat them. :)

nrc
09-01-07, 09:29 PM
Since our cable provider (Charter) isn't providing the BTN (yet), what do you guys think? Besides for missing games, which I can catch via radio, am I really missing anything?
Don't know about W but for most schools the only games impacted are the small school contests that haven't been covered by the networks. In the past those games have been covered locally or a local network has paid for a feed from ESPN's college football package. For most schools that means one or two games.

nrc
09-01-07, 09:32 PM
They didn't run the ball to the center and take a knee and force Michigan to use their last timeout, and if they didn't they could spike it.Very lucky. You could see one of the coaches on the sideline arguing to take one shot at the endzone.

Insomniac
09-01-07, 09:32 PM
Now when I change my Location to remove Rodney Harrision and say "Let's go, Mountaineers!" people will think I jumped on the App State Bandwagon. ;)

ferrarigod
09-01-07, 10:29 PM
ND and scUM. ahhahahahahahahah

can't wait until "you can't spell citrus without UT" losses to Cal. ****ing scoremfest.
i have a feeling Aubrun is gonna lose to KSU-cks.

ferrarigod
09-01-07, 10:33 PM
Florida didn't look too good today. Tebow can't pass and our young and inexperienced D gave up almost three times as many yards to Western Kentucky as OSU. :(

And Appalachian State University is, indeed, HOT HOT HOT ! ! ! ! :rofl:

did you watch the game? timmy did quite well considering, and i'm no teebfanatics.com member.

The D started slow with W.K. marching down the field, but ****, they didn't get many more yards after that initial drive.

I mean we ended early after the downpour(which i waited for) but the game was not anything to be disappointed about. new offense, new d. good special teams, they exceeded my expectations. I was thinking much worse, but yea, i'm still worryin about LSU/USCarolina/FSU in the longrun.

note to the group. drinking until 5am and then getting up at 10am to pregame while still drunk and walking to the game in oppresive heat and then rain, sux.

extramundane
09-01-07, 10:45 PM
I'd just like to congratulate my alma mater for squeaking out a 10-pointer over the Sister Mary School for the Deaf & Blind. Such a hard-fought victory clearly paves the way for BCS Bowl berth and a bare minimum of felony convictions. :\

Oh, and Frank Beamer? I say this with nothing but respect, but with the tall bank you've been making, it's time to have that waddle removed from your neck once and for all. :thumbup:

ferrarigod
09-01-07, 10:59 PM
it's time to have that waddle removed from your neck once and for all. :thumbup:

from wiki.
In 1954, when Beamer was seven years old, he used a push broom to help keep a pile of burning trash in place. When the job was done he returned the broom to the garage, not knowing that its brushes were still smoldering. A spark ignited a can of nearby gasoline, that exploded in front of him. His 11-year old brother, Barnett, saved him by rolling him around on the ground, but Frank was left with burns on the right side of his neck, chest and his shoulders. Over the next few years he endured dozens of painful skin grafts and was left with permanent scarring.

Sean O'Gorman
09-01-07, 11:01 PM
Now when I change my Location to remove Rodney Harrision and say "Let's go, Mountaineers!" people will think I jumped on the App State Bandwagon. ;)

I heard that ferrarigod was telling people today that Appalachian State has always been his favorite I-AA team.

extramundane
09-01-07, 11:14 PM
from wiki.
In 1954, when Beamer was seven years old, he used a push broom to help keep a pile of burning trash in place. When the job was done he returned the broom to the garage, not knowing that its brushes were still smoldering. A spark ignited a can of nearby gasoline, that exploded in front of him. His 11-year old brother, Barnett, saved him by rolling him around on the ground, but Frank was left with burns on the right side of his neck, chest and his shoulders. Over the next few years he endured dozens of painful skin grafts and was left with permanent scarring.

Yeah, I think I'm kinda aware of that and all, what with my sophomore year financial aid having been cut to fund his raise.

He can front the coin to have some plastic at this point.

skaven
09-02-07, 12:15 AM
did you watch the game? timmy did quite well considering, and i'm no teebfanatics.com member.

The D started slow with W.K. marching down the field, but ****, they didn't get many more yards after that initial drive.

I mean we ended early after the downpour(which i waited for) but the game was not anything to be disappointed about. new offense, new d. good special teams, they exceeded my expectations. I was thinking much worse, but yea, i'm still worryin about LSU/USCarolina/FSU in the longrun.

Haven't you heard, Tebow can't pass and our D isn't going to be any good. :gomer:

Also, with the recent defections of players from USC to UF, Pete Carroll is going to be looking under his bed for Urban Meyer before he goes to sleep each night. :thumbup:

greenie
09-02-07, 12:24 AM
Beamer hate = hysterical! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It wasn't that long ago that Va Tech was playing hoops in the Metro (poorly, of course) and was a crapola football independent.

I hope that Beamer bails out of that ****-show, and that program nose dives where it belongs.

Ankf00
09-02-07, 05:11 AM
Yeah, I think I'm kinda aware of that and all, what with my sophomore year financial aid having been cut to fund his raise.

He can front the coin to have some plastic at this point.

that's a crock, your ath dept is one of the few that is self sufficient, no university funds are involved w/ athletics at all

extramundane
09-02-07, 10:28 AM
that's a crock, your ath dept is one of the few that is self sufficient, no university funds are involved w/ athletics at all

:rofl:

Badger
09-02-07, 11:38 AM
Michigan better not be asleep at the wheel tomorrow... Appalachian State University is HOT HOT HOT ! ! ! ! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg) :D

As punishment, the UM players should have to learn and perform that song during halftime at the Bighouse.:D

The real UW handed it to another Pac 10 team.

ferrarigod
09-02-07, 02:02 PM
Haven't you heard, Tebow can't pass and our D isn't going to be any good. :gomer:

Also, with the recent defections of players from USC to UF, Pete Carroll is going to be looking under his bed for Urban Meyer before he goes to sleep each night. :thumbup:

Tebow did better than I expected, honestly, but he needs to learn how to slide. He got knocked out of bounds twice(with penalties to WKU) and got fliped at least once on the sideline. Timmy didn't have the best injury record at Neese and he needs to take it easy, we don't need that 1 extra yard after he's already gotten a first.

The D, as I said before, was good. But come on, its WKU we'll see if we can hold UT at home, they seem to be able to put up some points.

In 3 weeks after Troy/UT/UK, we'll have a better idea if we can compete with UGA/FSU/LSU. The jury is still out.

Ankf00
09-04-07, 01:06 PM
EDSBS:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1257/1312684903_7de72673e4.jpg?v=0

ouch.

Good chance we will lose to TCU next weekend, so I guess we're next.

Dr. Corkski
09-04-07, 03:07 PM
Mike Leach rules.

dando
09-04-07, 03:44 PM
New polls released.

UM: buh-bye
FreeShoes: buh-bye

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex?pollId=null&weekNumber=3&seasonYear=2007

1. USC (59) 1-0 1,619
2. LSU (5) 1-0 1,542
3. West Virginia (1) 1-0 1,449
4. Florida 1-0 1,346
5. Oklahoma 1-0 1,275
5. Wisconsin 1-0 1,275
7. Texas 1-0 1,221
8. Louisville 1-0 1,152
9. Virginia Tech 1-0 1,085
10. California 1-0 1,080
11. Georgia 1-0 959
12. Ohio State 1-0 940
13. UCLA 1-0 736
14. Penn State 1-0 662
15. Rutgers 1-0 659
16. Nebraska 1-0 541
17. Auburn 1-0 519
18. Arkansas 1-0 450
19. TCU 1-0 384
20. Hawaii 1-0 335
21. Georgia Tech 1-0 278
22. Boise State 1-0 267
23. Texas A&M 1-0 217
24. Tennessee 0-1 210
25. Clemson 1-0 195

-Kevin

Don Quixote
09-04-07, 04:00 PM
Has anyone ever fallen from 5th to off the list before? :eek:

dando
09-04-07, 04:35 PM
Has anyone ever fallen from 5th to off the list before? :eek:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3004279

Before Michigan's fall, Notre Dame held the ignominious record for largest drop in the rankings in the Top 25-era. The Fighting Irish dropped 16 spots -- from No. 9 to No. 25 -- after losing to Northwestern 17-15 on Sept. 3, 1995.

Texas dropped 15 spots in 1997, going from ninth to 24th after a 66-3 loss to UCLA in September 1997. Louisville also fell 15 spots -- 11th to unranked -- in September 2005 after losing to South Florida.

The highest ranked team to fall from the poll after one loss was No. 2 Oklahoma in 1959, when the AP was ranking the top 20 teams. Later that season Army went from No. 4 to unranked.

In 1950, Tennessee went from No. 4 to unranked in October and in 1960 Illinois fall out of the ranking from No. 4.

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-04-07, 05:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3004279

Before Michigan's fall, Notre Dame held the ignominious record for largest drop in the rankings in the Top 25-era. The Fighting Irish dropped 16 spots -- from No. 9 to No. 25 -- after losing to Northwestern 17-15 on Sept. 3, 1995.

Texas dropped 15 spots in 1997, going from ninth to 24th after a 66-3 loss to UCLA in September 1997. Louisville also fell 15 spots -- 11th to unranked -- in September 2005 after losing to South Florida.

The highest ranked team to fall from the poll after one loss was No. 2 Oklahoma in 1959, when the AP was ranking the top 20 teams.
Later that season Army went from No. 4 to unranked.

In 1950, Tennessee went from No. 4 to unranked in October and in 1960 Illinois fall out of the ranking from No. 4.

-Kevin

relevant parts in bold :p

Ankf00
09-04-07, 05:15 PM
Mike Leach rules.

Yarr. http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pirate.gif

dando
09-04-07, 05:16 PM
relevant parts in bold :p

Texas (19) in triplicate, as fans of various rivals made sport of the Longhorns' recent spate of legal issues -- "I hear Mack Brown is using a police scanner for recruiting purposes."

"Book 'em, Horns."

"Got handcuffs?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3003569&sportCat=ncf

:D

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
09-04-07, 05:49 PM
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7908/fulmercupzo9.jpg

Ankf00
09-04-07, 05:56 PM
cuz that's just how we roll.

Sean O'Gorman
09-04-07, 06:24 PM
Woo, the Big Ten finally wins something!

Don Quixote
09-04-07, 06:57 PM
Illinois: When you recruit a bunch of criminals, that is supposed to make your team better. They didn't get the memo. They recruit bad eggs that can't play. :laugh:

Insomniac
09-04-07, 07:36 PM
New polls released.

UM: buh-bye
FreeShoes: buh-bye

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex?pollId=null&weekNumber=3&seasonYear=2007

-Kevin

Does that mean UM sucks that bad or they consider the best DI-AA school to be worse than all/most DI-A schools?

dando
09-04-07, 09:59 PM
Does that mean UM sucks that bad or they consider the best DI-AA school to be worse than all/most DI-A schools?

Well, according to one of the RPI measures, UM choked and hAppy State ain't what it seems:

http://realtimerpi.com/football/ncaaf_Men.html

YMMV.

Me thinks it's somewhere in between.

And yes, UM still sucks anyway you slice it. :D

-Kevin

dando
09-05-07, 12:31 PM
I just wonder if DirecTV is paying the same rate for these stations that they're trying to extract from the cable companies. Getting on DirecTV is a means of applying pressure on the cable companies who want to avoid losing customers to satellite. But without that lever they'd never even get off the ground.

FYI, Fox owns DTV, so my guess it they aren't paying the same $1.10 fee the BTN wants from Big 10 states ($.10 for all other states). :saywhat: :mad: FBTN! :flame:

-Kevin

WickerBill
09-05-07, 12:58 PM
Murdoch sold DirecTV to Liberty Media a while back.

Ankf00
09-05-07, 01:48 PM
fox does have a share of BTN, that combined with their former relationship with DTV might factor into things.

sucks for you midwesterners, but after years of having one of the best TV deals in the sport (along w/ SEC), I have less sympathy than I would otherwise:p

I wish TBS had re-upped their Pac-10/Big XII contract :( TBS+FSN+ABC late game via Gameplan late nights ftw

Andrew Longman
09-05-07, 02:36 PM

It means the rankings are stupid. This is essentially the same team that much of last year some felt should play OSU for the national championship.

Of course it also means that this is about the same team that given how they finished last year should never have been ranked #5.

Sorry, can't join in the UM hate. My grandfather got his medical degree there about 80 years ago and my mom was born there. I have been bred to hate OSU, so I understand the in kind hate in Columbus. That said, UofM hasn't played my kind of football since Carr came. Schiano is now playing my kind of football.

BTW, when did they do away with D1-A and D1-AA? They are now respectively called "The Bowl Sub-Division" and the "Championship Subdivision". WTF is that? The NCAA is so f'd up. I guess they are trying to show that IAA is the only place (with DII and III), that actually play for a championship.

dando
09-05-07, 02:36 PM
Murdoch sold DirecTV to Liberty Media a while back.

Not yet. A deal was reportedly announced late last year, but has not been completed yet.

http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=1400012

Stock
DIRECTV Common Stock is publicly traded under the ticker symbol DTV on the New York Stock Exchange and is 39% owned by Fox Entertainment Group, which is owned by News Corporation (NYSE: NWS, NWS.A).

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-05-07, 02:40 PM
BTW, when did they do away with D1-A and D1-AA? They are now respectively called "The Bowl Sub-Division" and the "Championship Subdivision". WTF is that? The NCAA is so f'd up. I guess they are trying to show that IAA is the only place (with DII and III), that actually play for a championship.

since last year, and that's exactly why, only national writer I've seen use those terms so far is Forde

dando
09-05-07, 02:46 PM
It means the rankings are stupid. This is essentially the same team that much of last year some felt should play OSU for the national championship.

Of course it also means that this is about the same team that given how they finished last year should never have been ranked #5.

Sorry, can't join in the UM hate. My grandfather got his medical degree there about 80 years ago and my mom was born there. I have been bred to hate OSU, so I understand the in kind hate in Columbus. That said, UofM hasn't played my kind of football since Carr came. Schiano is now playing my kind of football.

Pre-season polls are worthless, yo. 3-4 years ago UM and Dayglo Orange were ranked #3 and #5 respectively and finished unranked. :\

We're equal opportunity hate around here, BTW. (GO Navy!!!!) :) IMO, UM hasn't played UM foosball since Bo left. Both Moeller and Carr survived on John Cooper's failures.

I believe the D1-AA change just happened, as the media peeps can't consistently refer to them as one or the other. More NCAA funness. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
09-05-07, 02:48 PM
AP writer Ralph Russo used it today. First I'd seen it. I'm betting the 2007 NCAA press guide beats on reporters to use the new/correct terms.

Dumb IMO. Use of the word "sub division" is awkward and the titles are not self explanitory and confusing. And what problem were they trying to fix?

dando
09-05-07, 02:49 PM
fox does have a share of BTN, that combined with their former relationship with DTV might factor into things.

sucks for you midwesterners, but after years of having one of the best TV deals in the sport (along w/ SEC), I have less sympathy than I would otherwise:p

I wish TBS had re-upped their Pac-10/Big XII contract :( TBS+FSN+ABC late game via Gameplan late nights ftw

Why do think I'm bitching about the BTN so much?!? :cry:

So I don't get to watch TCU > UT on TBS this weekend?!? Mother ****er... :mad:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-05-07, 02:49 PM
AP writer Ralph Russo used it today. First I'd seen it. I'm betting the 2007 NCAA press guide beats on reporters to use the new/correct terms.

I think Maisel, last week, made note of just that. "As an employee of a business that does much business with the NCAA, we've been urged to etc, etc. But sorry, that's too much work. D1-A it is."

dando
09-05-07, 02:50 PM
And what problem were they trying to fix?

The same kind of issue the Big 10 solved with the BTN.... :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
09-05-07, 02:57 PM
Both Moeller and Carr survived on John Cooper's failures.

Cooper's only failure was he couldn't beat UofM.;)

Moeller's failure was he got drunk in public once.

Carr tolerates individual play over team play.

Bo (as much as I loved him) hired Moeller and Carr.

We're equal opportunity hate around here, BTW. (GO Navy!!!!) :)

Are we going to do this every week? :) Let's just hope the Navy QB doesn't break his leg on the first play this year. :p

IMO, UM hasn't played UM foosball since Bo left.

Yup.

Andrew Longman
09-05-07, 05:39 PM
I found this for a friend today and thought it also belongs here.

Princeton (that other historical NJ football power ;) ) has a decidedly different approach to marching band. For Dando and other Big11 types, try not to be shocked. This is not the scripted Ohio.

Keep in mind that the academic workload is just a bit tougher at Princeton. They only practice on Tuesdays from 4:30-6 in a basement. And you don't have to play an instrument to be in the band. No kidding. (As a kid I took trumpet lessons in that basement from a band member and I sat with the band at a lot of games)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=350MrcFDY7g

Princeton: #1 again in USNews rankings.
Enjoy.

dando
09-05-07, 06:14 PM
I found this for a friend today and thought it also belongs here.

Princeton (that other historical NJ football power ;) ) has a decidedly different approach to marching band. For Dando and other Big11 types, try not to be shocked. This is not the scripted Ohio.

Keep in mind that the academic workload is just a bit tougher at Princeton. They only practice on Tuesdays from 4:30-6 in a basement. And you don't have to play an instrument to be in the band. No kidding. (As a kid I took trumpet lessons in that basement from a band member and I sat with the band at a lot of games)

Princeton: #1 again in USNews rankings.
Enjoy.

:laugh:

An dats The Incomparable Script Ohio, yo. Get it straight. ;)

rPNnIFH6_RU

:thumbup: TBDBITL rawks, aye!

FAMU is still the most entertaining 'alternative' band I've seen in person:

XFuFuglS_bE

(not the best video example, but it suffices)

-Kevin

Gnam
09-05-07, 06:46 PM

An dats The Script Ohio, yo. Get it straight. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPNnIFH6_RU

:thumbup:

-Kevin
Mighty slow spellers you got out dere. :p

Twice the letters, one quarter the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_1fhOddABc (skip to halfway)

coolhand
09-05-07, 08:30 PM

Yeah, TBS was good. I was able to see some of the lesser Pac-10 teams play.

Andrew Longman
09-05-07, 08:44 PM

An dats The Incomparable Script Ohio, yo. Get it straight. ;)

Oh, I'm straight. It's just that every bandmember and fan in the stands at a Princeton game, if separated from thelr parents, knows how to spell their home address for a police officer or security guard.:p

FAMU is good an I actually got to see them about 25 years ago in Tallahassee when I was working promoting chewing tobacco. That's another story.

Related... My local HS, where Trevor started today, is hugely big on band. I often go to the football games and a few years ago they were playing against a nearly all black, poor urban HS. Being a poor school unable to afford instruments, their band consisted of about 15 drummers and the cheerleaders dancing to "African/rap" rhythms. I thought the local redneck rural NJ crowd was going to laugh or boo, but to my naive surprise they watched and cheered loudly, jeering only those that weren't paying attention. The band was actually very good and did very well with what they had to work with.

Anyway, as a lifelong football player I never really got the band thing, but I really came to appreciated the tightness among the band clan that night and how for HS students and parents football it isn't all about caving someone's head in. It still is for me though.

Gnam
09-06-07, 02:56 AM
Football programs come, and football progams go, but one thing remains constant: CAL BAND GREAT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw2QgF7BWKQ

(Evil tree steals Golden Bear's axe, Runs like a punk, and gets chopped.)

dando
09-06-07, 02:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3007221

That's the newest trend among Ohio State fans, whose latest fashion statement is in the colors of Appalachian State, which shocked then-No. 5 Michigan 34-32 on Saturday in the first win by a Division I-AA team over a ranked I-A team.

Of course dem colors be blue and yeller. :yuck:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
09-06-07, 03:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3007221

Of course dem colors be blue and yeller. :yuck:

-Kevin

I'm working out of my home office today and just grabbed a t shirt off the top of the pile. I just came back from picking the kids up at school and one of the teachers (a PSU grad) screams at me from across the courtyard, "How can you possibly wear that shirt!?!"

I look down and I have an old Michigan shirt on. :gomer:

I could only shrug and say, "This is going to get really old, I can tell"

I think Cooper had it best when he said he roots for every Big Ten team to win every non conference game.

Ankf00
09-08-07, 12:11 AM
Turnpikes roll. Navy's #2 qb was an assload faster than the starter imo, anyone else think that? Paul Johnson has a new star on his hands.

Ankf00
09-08-07, 07:19 AM
http://www.thefugeeforums.com/forums/images/smilies/rockon.gif K! STATE!!! http://youtube.com/watch?v=-A-05wPlQQ4

coolhand
09-08-07, 01:33 PM
lol in the comments

Apparently KSU isn't known for any video production classes. It reminds me of something I would see on "saved by the bell."

extramundane
09-08-07, 10:29 PM
I'd just like to congratulate my alma mater for squeaking out a 10-pointer over the Sister Mary School for the Deaf & Blind. Such a hard-fought victory clearly paves the way for BCS Bowl berth and a bare minimum of felony convictions. :\

As a followup, I'd like to further congratulate the cHokies for playing an actual football team so early in the season. Too bad nobody told them they weren't playing Montgomery County Middle School this week. :rolleyes:

Ankf00
09-09-07, 12:38 AM
took us 6 qtrs to get to playing football this year, but it's on now.

coolhand
09-10-07, 02:37 AM
never seen this :rofl:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=txlOreGZ4oo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S-srurDoQXE

Andrew Longman
09-10-07, 10:05 AM
For those of you on another thread busting on West Virginia, I think we have more to fear from Mississippi

Whoa coach O

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HX7wzhMvbzo&mode=related&search=

Stay classy girls

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iif0OCcrXzg&mode=related&search=

coolhand
09-10-07, 11:06 AM
rambel hurameormoamg football.

//////////Isn't Ole Miss the place people talk about to see attractive woman at games?

Ankf00
09-10-07, 11:14 AM
For those of you on another thread busting on West Virginia, I think we have more to fear from Mississippi

Whoa coach O

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1055/1248252861_578afeea5c.jpg?v=0

required reading: http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?cat=54

Stay classy girls

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iif0OCcrXzg&mode=related&search= god bless their little hearts.

ferrarigod
09-10-07, 11:27 AM
You know what the best part is about Michigan and Notre Dame being 0-2 each?

After next week you know one of them is going to be 0-3. :thumbup:

there are no losers next week for fans that think both schools are powered by unbelievable media hype.

hahaha. jabba the weis was NO better than Ty, but don't tell Spicoli, he thinks, they're grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!!!!

UM has a loss to a Division 2 team, and Notre Dame has yet to score an offensive touchdown this season.

it can't get any better.

Spicoli
09-10-07, 12:16 PM
You know what the best part is about Michigan and Notre Dame being 0-2 each?

After next week you know one of them is going to be 0-3. :thumbup:

there are no losers next week for fans that think both schools are powered by unbelievable media hype.

hahaha. jabba the weis was NO better than Ty, but don't tell Spicoli, he thinks, they're grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!!!!

UM has a loss to a Division 2 team, and Notre Dame has yet to score an offensive touchdown this season.

it can't get any better.

Oh bite me.

Weiss fan? moi? Never. Fat ****s should not coach.

Bottom line is this: those are 75% HIS recruits, and he's 0-2 when he should be 2-0. ND Alumni will not tolerate this. In fact, they do not otlerate anything less than Nat Championships, so by that standard, he will be gone by, oh, November. :D

Sad days for ND peeps. :shakehead

Insomniac
09-10-07, 12:23 PM
Oh bite me.

Weiss fan? moi? Never. Fat ****s should not coach.

Bottom line is this: those are 75% HIS recruits, and he's 0-2 when he should be 2-0. ND Alumni will not tolerate this. In fact, they do not otlerate anything less than Nat Championships, so by that standard, he will be gone by, oh, November. :D

Sad days for ND peeps. :shakehead

I'm surprised that Weis didn't have a new QB ready to step in after Quinn and that given his system is NFL caliber that more capable QBs (and other skill positions) weren't lining up at ND's door.

Ankf00
09-10-07, 12:51 PM
Jabba the Weis has 2 top 10 recruiting classes and the #1 class for 08 currently, he'll actually have a chance to win a BCS bowl for once come '09. Willingham's first recruiting class was solid but dropped to the low 20's high 30's after, not the stuff 10 win seasons are made of, and those are the jrs and srs Weis is dealing with right now.

if Jabba lets the 4/5* stud underclassmen get meaningful PT this season, they could make a decent run in '08 too.

ferrarigod
09-10-07, 02:17 PM
Jabba the Weis has 2 top 10 recruiting classes and the #1 class for 08 currently, he'll actually have a chance to win a BCS bowl for once come '09. Willingham's first recruiting class was solid but dropped to the low 20's high 30's after, not the stuff 10 win seasons are made of, and those are the jrs and srs Weis is dealing with right now.

if Jabba lets the 4/5* stud underclassmen get meaningful PT this season, they could make a decent run in '08 too.

the problem with that is jabba did what he did with ty's people.

next year is next year, but 0-3 seems like forever.

Ankf00
09-10-07, 02:55 PM
the problem with that is jabba did what he did with ty's people. exactly, with ty's best recruiting class, and Jabba's people are markedly better, 4x the number of bluechips, they're just young and inexperienced fr, rs fr, and so right now. the jr and sr now are Ty's last 2 classes which were horrible.

ND's slushfunds are tied to him for 10 more years, they'd only dump him for 1-11.

Al Czervik
09-10-07, 03:13 PM
ND's slushfunds are tied to him for 10 more years, they'd only dump him for 1-11.

Trust me, the view from Domer central is a little different.

dando
09-10-07, 03:13 PM

Whoa coach O

Reminds me of the days after Cooper arrived when he and his clan hawked hot tubs & such. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-10-07, 03:19 PM

the views of the village mob usually differ greatly from the view of the select few in the program who pay the bills and sign the checks. That's how you have John Cooper at tOSU for 13 seasons. That's how you still have Lloyd at UM. That's how you have Mack Brown still in Austin after being the first UT coach to drop 5 straight to OU.

coolhand
09-10-07, 06:25 PM
Changing the coach every 3 years wont solve a thing. They should stick with Weis if they are smart.

coolhand
09-10-07, 06:34 PM
I've done all the calculations and here's how it's going to shake down.

1) Carr is out. There's no debating this.

2) Miles to UM. He is a "Michigan Man" to the core (puke) and has an opt-out clause in his contract specifically for Michigan. Many people wonder why anyone would go to Michigan from LSU, but they only have recent history on their minds. LSU is not a traditional power and doesn't have the same "All Time" clout that Michigan has. If they went in the toilet now, they'd be known for having a good decade. Michigan is in the toilet now and they're still one of the all time great programs.

3) Tedford to LSU. Cal is having a great run under Tedford but they'll always be Cal. The tree-huggers will always block efforts to expand the football facilities or even adequately fund the football program. Tedford knows its only a matter of time for him to make the jump from a great coach to the elite circle and he won't be able to do it in Berkeley. Tedford to LSU.

4) Carroll to Cal. PC loves a challenge and, so, the things that drive Tedford from Berkeley will attract PC. Plus, he's a northern California kid; he left his heart in San Francisco and he won't be able to stay away forever. Tedford will leave a respectable program behind and Carroll will see it as an opportunity to build a juggernaut in his own backyard.

5) Erickson to USC. Finally, Garrett's dream of bringing Erickson to Heritage Hall will be realized. It took a long strange series of events but all of these dominos have been accounted for in the Garrett Strategy. Erickson is always looking for a step up: OSU, then some NFL team, then Idaho, then ASU and finally USC. Of course, that won't be enough for Erickson. He'll vacate the USC position after one season and return to WSU when they fire Bill Doba after 57 years of service.

6) Coach O to USC. Orgeron will return to USC after extended talks with Norm Chow yield nothing. Coach O will return a shirts-off, ear-rings out, Wild Boys type of mentality to USC football that we haven't seen since the 2004 season. And we'll finish last in the Pac 10... but it'll be fricking awesome.:rofl:

Ankf00
09-10-07, 06:54 PM
yo yo yo yo yo yo... ESS SAY FOOTBAW!

Dr. Corkski
09-10-07, 07:03 PM
Having witnessed the carnage firsthand this past Saturday there is no possible way that Greg Robinson will still be coaching the frutty cuppers past this year.

Al Czervik
09-10-07, 08:01 PM
the views of the village mob usually differ greatly from the view of the select few in the program who pay the bills and sign the checks. That's how you have John Cooper at tOSU for 13 seasons. That's how you still have Lloyd at UM. That's how you have Mack Brown still in Austin after being the first UT coach to drop 5 straight to OU.

Fat Charlie has already ruffled a few Domeratti feathers. They will tolerate him as long as he wins.

I don't really GAF, as long as Purdue beats 'em. The Andretti-like whining is fun, though.

Spicoli
09-10-07, 09:42 PM

natives get restless easily.

see: davey, bob. willingham, ty. and everyone else.

Ankf00
09-10-07, 09:45 PM
davie was fired after his contract expired due to suckitude. ty was fired after 3 b/c they never wanted to hire him in the first place a), they only did b/c the O'Leary hire blew up in their face and the BCA was on their ass. Neither Ty Willingham nor his agent were contacted prior to the O'Leary hire, that is fact, the firing wasn't racial but the hiring was. He was fired b/c they thought they had Urban coming in.

This is Weis' 3rd year, 2 of which are BCS bound and the 4th has a high chance of being, the 5th definitely will be.

They already lowered their admissions bar for him, they're not about to jettison him while owing him his 10 years' guaranteed $$$$ when they're bringing in BCS cash. This isn't the NFL. When you're fired, you get your pay. A&M will be paying 3 coaches' salaries simultaneously once they fire Fran after this season.

Spicoli
09-10-07, 10:17 PM
davie was fired after his contract expired due to suckitude. ty was fired after 3 b/c they never wanted to hire him in the first place a), they only did b/c the O'Leary hire blew up in their face and the BCA was on their ass. Neither Ty Willingham nor his agent were contacted prior to the O'Leary hire, that is fact, the firing wasn't racial but the hiring was. He was fired b/c they thought they had Urban coming in.

This is Weis' 3rd year, 2 of which are BCS bound and the 4th has a high chance of being, the 5th definitely will be.

They already lowered their admissions bar for him, they're not about to jettison him while owing him his 10 years' guaranteed $$$$ when they're bringing in BCS cash. This isn't the NFL. When you're fired, you get your pay. A&M will be paying 3 coaches' salaries simultaneously once they fire Fran after this season.

wow. you must spend alot of time reaqding up onftooball.

Insomniac
09-10-07, 10:46 PM
This isn't the NFL. When you're fired, you get your pay. A&M will be paying 3 coaches' salaries simultaneously once they fire Fran after this season.

I think you have it backwards there. In the NFL, coaches salary are generally guaranteed. They get fired, they get paid. College makes use of buyouts, which is why coaches can easily jump to another school when they're under "contract". From all reports, Weis has a pretty damn big buyout that ND has to pay to get rid of him or someone has to pay to get him. Given that, I think it's pretty much a lock he won't get fired because they would have to be absolutely certain he isn't the right coach to pay that buyout.

Ankf00
09-10-07, 11:14 PM
buyouts at top flight programs are a completely different beast from the kinds of buyouts guys at mid-tier programs like Rich Rod have. Lester has an out clause for Michigan and that's it, Stoops, Mack, Tressel, etc. have no easy buyout, they're at destination programs and either they're fired or they're still in the same office, so their contracts are structured as such. Same applies for Weis & ND.

ferrarigod
09-11-07, 01:19 AM

i don't believe that at all. espcially when they are 0-3.

davie was fired after his contract expired due to suckitude. ty was fired after 3 b/c they never wanted to hire him in the first place a), they only did b/c the O'Leary hire blew up in their face and the BCA was on their ass.

don't forget jessie jackson up their ass. :yuck:

Insomniac
09-11-07, 09:02 AM
buyouts at top flight programs are a completely different beast from the kinds of buyouts guys at mid-tier programs like Rich Rod have. Lester has an out clause for Michigan and that's it, Stoops, Mack, Tressel, etc. have no easy buyout, they're at destination programs and either they're fired or they're still in the same office, so their contracts are structured as such. Same applies for Weis & ND.

Let's put all of the Charlie Weis-to-the-NFL possibilities to bed, shall we? I've got the real number it would take to buy him out of his contract, which has nine years left to run at Notre Dame. That figure plus the fact that he doesn't want to leave should take him out of the NFL pool for the foreseeable future.

The rock-solid, no-exceptions buyout number for Weis from Notre Dame: $21 million.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/01/14/playoffs/4.html

He signed a 10-year/$40M deal. His entire salary is not guaranteed.

Ankf00
09-11-07, 12:20 PM
while my "guaranteed" comment was meant towards player contracts, I didn't specify and it's a stupid comparison anyway

but ND always declines info requests on Weis' contract, only thing they've let out is that it's north of $3M. But even if $21M is true, that's the profit of a top ath dept in a good financial year. tOSU pulled in $100M+ revenue last year and only profited $3M, the previous year they lost $1M, http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2006-08-18-ohio-state-revenue_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio State's athletic department has surpassed $100 million in annual revenue for the first time, earning $101.5 million during the past fiscal year, The Columbus Dispatch reported Friday.
The university's sports program also finished the 2005-06 fiscal year that ended June 30 with a $2.9 million surplus, according to documents obtained by the newspaper.

Most of the surplus was placed into an account that will help fund construction of a women's softball stadium, a women's crew boathouse and an indoor tennis facility.

Money made by the football team helped Ohio State surpass its 2004-05 results, when the athletic department lost $920,000 on $88.8 million in revenue. Overall revenue grew 14.3% last year, and expenses grew 9.8%.

Top Salaries (http://americasbestonline.net/index.php/pages/collegehighestpaidcoaches.html)

1. Nick Saban, Alabama 4,000,000
2. Charlie Weis, Notre Dame $3,300,000
3. Pete Carroll, Southern Cal $3,000,000
4. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa $2,850,000
5. Mack Brown, Texas $2,550,000
6. Bobby Petrino, Louisville $2,500,000
7. Jim Tressel, Ohio State $2,450,000
8. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma $2,400,000
9. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn $2,200,000
10. Joe Paterno, Penn State $2,100,000
11. Philip Fulmer, Tennessee $2,050,000
12. Bobby Bowden, Florida State $2,000,000
12. Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M $2,000,000
12. Urban Meyer, Florida $2,000,000

$21M is almost a decade of base salary prior to bonus incentives for most of those guys, and it's 7 years of salary for Weis. If a decade of salary for his potential replacement (Weis & Saban aren't the norm in hiring) is a "buyout" in your opinion, have at it. It'd be nice to have that kind of money to throw at a problem. :)

edit: I take back half my rant, I'm combining contracts and state employee status into one in my mind (for the state school guys)

Ankf00
09-11-07, 12:31 PM
i don't believe that at all. espcially when they are 0-3. I realize we all loathe Jabba, and we would all love to see him go down in flames, but the BCS appearances (and the $1,000,000's ND profits off each one) and top 10 recruiting classes speak for themselves, the people who matter aren't going to jettison him after this year even if they do go 0-3.

He's playing a true freshman quarterback ffs, that's not exactly the stuff new years day bowls are made of.

Insomniac
09-11-07, 01:04 PM
while my "guaranteed" comment was meant towards player contracts, I didn't specify and it's a stupid comparison anyway

but ND always declines info requests on Weis' contract, only thing they've let out is that it's north of $3M. But even if $21M is true, that's the profit of a top ath dept in a good financial year. tOSU pulled in $100M+ revenue last year and only profited $3M, the previous year they lost $1M, http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2006-08-18-ohio-state-revenue_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA

Top Salaries (http://americasbestonline.net/index.php/pages/collegehighestpaidcoaches.html)

$21M is almost a decade of base salary prior to bonus incentives for most of those guys, and it's 7 years of salary for Weis. If a decade of salary for his potential replacement (Weis & Saban aren't the norm in hiring) is a "buyout" in your opinion, have at it. It'd be nice to have that kind of money to throw at a problem. :)

edit: I take back half my rant, I'm combining contracts and state employee status into one in my mind (for the state school guys)

I'd trust Peter King when he says he has seen the contract. I've said it's very unlikely for them to do that, and it would only make sense if they were absolutely certain he's the wrong guy. I was merely stating the facts of Weis' contract vs. the typical NFL coach's contract. They can dump for his buyout amount, which is lower than the total amount in the contract.

The boosters will have to get more than vocal to push Weis out.