PDA

View Full Version : Fall is in the Air!! - Football

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

Andrew Longman
10-11-07, 09:45 AM
Bills Giants, Hostetlor got them to the game, not Phil, so meh.

The Giants started the season 10-0. One of the most anticipated games in franchise history was the 7 December game against the 49er, which they lost 7-3 in classic physical defensive battle. Simms was hurt in week 15against the Bill in a game they would also lose. They finished the season 13-3 the fewest points allowed and fewest turnover given. That team literally beat the crap out of other teams and executed flawlessly.

To win the championship they had to beat two of the three teams they lost to in the regular season. They beat SF by knocking Montana into next week and by playing flawless, physical ball control offense in the SB against the Bills.

With Simms at the helm, they probably would have won too, but it was the collective effort of the team that was so remarkable to watch. Winning with Hoss made it all the more impressive, though he had several big plays himself.

But comparing CFB to the NFL is not I think the best comparison. D 1AA, II and III is better

Talk to folks at Youngstown St how they feel about going to the title game four years in a row and winning it three times in the early 90s. Ask Applachian St about winning it the last two years. Has how jazzed the town of Marquette, MI was in the fall of 75 when Steve Mariucci took a team that was 0-11 the year before to the DII national championship. Sure the crowds are smaller and the media coverage almost non-existant, but if you were to scale the energy that is there up to DI levels it would overwhelm MArch Madness.

Jus sayin'

dando
10-11-07, 01:51 PM
Coach Fran one more step closer to the door hitting him on the @ss on the way outta College Station...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3058459

You deserve it, dickhead. :laugh:

-Kevin

IlliniRacer
10-11-07, 02:28 PM
Coach Fran one more step closer to the door hitting him on the @ss on the way outta College Station...

-Kevin

Is there any part of him that doesn't say "sleaze"?

Ankf00
10-11-07, 03:48 PM
Talk to folks at Youngstown St how they feel about going to the title game four years in a row and winning it three times in the early 90s. Ask Applachian St about winning it the last two years. Has how jazzed the town of Marquette, MI was in the fall of 75 when Steve Mariucci took a team that was 0-11 the year before to the DII national championship. Sure the crowds are smaller and the media coverage almost non-existant, but if you were to scale the energy that is there up to DI levels it would overwhelm MArch Madness.

Jus sayin'

and that would completely nullify the memories of Miami bouncing UCLA on UCLA's last weekend of the season in '98 and Ron Dayne finishing them off in the Rose Bowl, Ricky running all over A&M's title game chances for the record, Clint Stoerner's fumble in Knoxville setting up the Vols for the Fiesta, McNabb and KJ obliterating Miami in the Carrier Dome for a trip to the Orange Bowl (only to get whupped by UF), John Cooper stumbling to MSU killing their title chances, A&M's McCown over Michael Bishop killing KSU's run. All that to set up Tee Martin, Peerless Price, Donte Stallworth, and Travis Henry vs. Marcus Outzen, Peter Warrick, and Laveranues Coles. And if Warrick isn't taken down by the UTK punter on that return, game might've gone to OT.

Wouldn't trade memories of seeing Ricky trample aggy in Austin for a playoff game. Wouldn't trade the gameday experience for TV friendliness. That to me is CFB. LSU driving on UF last weekend, Stanford knocking off USC and Appy St in the Big House will be remembered by CFB fans for years, G-men over Broncos that year is just another game.

Andrew Longman
10-11-07, 10:41 PM
Ank. I think you and I have this debate every year about this time. I don't want to do anything to diminish your CFB fun. Clearly you have a bunch.

That said, when the G men defeated the Broncos in 86, it exorsized 17 years of dysfunction in the the Meadowlands and Bronx. For long suffering Giant fans, I can't overstate how important it was to see a team win, finally win, not by luck, not by suffocating talent, but by will and excution. It validated the Mara philosophy of hard work, sportsmanship, and will. It was a huge deal, as was the 90 championship, and forms the residue and benchmark by which all Giant teams since are measured.

Still CFB does and should be focused on the school community, not the local sports market. As a State school. every tax payer is included in the RU school community, but it is made more special because perhaps half the roster is from Jersey. If we want to get excited then we at least we are rooting for our neighbors, not a free agent.

All I'm saying it that many of the dramatic moments you describe were contrived by a flawed and biased poll system and deminish more genuine conflicts such as whether Princeton beat Harvard, Auburn beat Alabama, Michigan beats OSU, or Northern Michigan beats Michigan Tech.

Ankf00
10-12-07, 11:39 AM
I was talking '98 g-men > 14-0 Broncos :) The super bowl win is in a completely different league, agreed.

Ankf00
10-12-07, 11:56 AM
the Fran emails: http://athcluster.tamu.edu/emails/

it's gold Jerry, gold!

wonder who he's talking about here ;)

Apparently reporters two days ago, in an interview with [name redacted] got the impression that he reported to camp at the 268 pounds he weighed last spring after a long bout with mononucleosis. The NY Times reported that, and the beat writers followed up on it. He is, as only you know, heavier than the 282 he weighed going into the Texas game.

When told of the line of questioning based on the perception of [name redacted] weighing 268, Amy Bragg, our registered dietician in charge of performance nutrition, commented, “Yes, he is. And I’m 6-feet-2.” (She is 5-2.)

Still and probably repeating ourselves, [name redacted] looks the same – nimble and powerful – in practice. He gets winded quickly. “He is working hard,” Coach Fran said.

"STILL JUST AMONG US:
He also told a story about another official whose daughter goes to A&M. He had made a few calls (or no-calls) that went against us, and not what Fran considered good judgments. He's an official that Fran respects and thinks is very good. So he told him one time that he thought that perhaps the official was subconsciously not trying to appear biased about A&M. He said the official didn't like what he said but the plan was counter-subconscious-espionage: get the official to think subconsciously about that he might be thinking about subconsciously....well, you get the gist."

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/nhennigan/franchione.jpg

and apparently the texags.com admins were selling out their own posters who didn't hold the rope to the Ath Dept. :shakehead

http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=980632&forum_id=5

Andrew Longman
10-12-07, 12:19 PM

-Kevin

There's bunch here I don't get.

A copy of Franchione's contract, obtained by The Associated Press, specifies the coach must report to the school president "annually in writing" any outside income.

Why? The school is not the IRS. My employer doesn't ask about outside consulting work I do, so long as I am not poaching work from them.

"I was trying to keep some loyal Aggies informed on our program in greater detail throughout the year," he said. "Please do not blame them. They were only trying to support our program."

Support the program how? Just some alums with too much disposible income paying to feel important because they know extra special secret information. If they wanted to support the program they would use the $80K they spent to underwrite a scholorship or pay tutors.

"My supposition is someone came to Fran and said, 'You mind if we do something like this for some people?'" Byrne said. "His thought was, 'No. Go ahead.' My guess was he never saw it after that. He concentrates on football."

But he paid the guy and pocketed the profits? I think I would notice $40+K floating into my bank account.

Ankf00
10-12-07, 12:53 PM
Why? The school is not the IRS. My employer doesn't ask about outside consulting work I do, so long as I am not poaching work from them. because you don't want any allegations of slush funds or NCAA investigations stemming from such allegations. See Barnett, Gary.

But he paid the guy and pocketed the profits? I think I would notice $40+K floating into my bank account. He's an unadulterated fool to care about 37K when he's making 2M per, but we all know he's always been a fool, so it's not surprising...

Andrew Longman
10-12-07, 01:15 PM
because you don't want any allegations of slush funds or NCAA investigations stemming from such allegations. See Barnett, Gary.

What did Barrett do? He was dinged for getting hookers and booze for recruits and dismissing rape allegations by his kicker.

Besides, boosters boost coaches salaries all the time. See Saben, Nick.

So long as the money (slushfund or not) doesn't end up in players hands (they're already given a scholorship and the NCAA thinks that should be enough), everything is OK, no?

I think the real problem is the school thinks if boosters are willing to pay $1200 to get inside poop then they want a piece of that.

The dude is a fool and a slimebag but then so are the millionaire used car dealers that pay thousands just to be an uber fan of there jacktard team.

Ankf00
10-12-07, 01:23 PM
there was also a big stink about Barnett's summer camps and the revenue from those.

all the coaches run these kinds of camps, and do radio shows, tv shows, etc. that are usually stipulated in the contract and all revenue goes to the coach and his staff, but the ath dept still wants to know everything is copasetic, like in this case, rules violations that aggy has now self-reported to the NCAA.

Gnam
10-12-07, 03:33 PM
counter-subconscious-espionage :rofl: :thumbup:

Is that from EDSBS?

Ankf00
10-12-07, 03:45 PM

Is that from EDSBS?

no, that is exactly what was in Franchione's secret newsletter... :laugh: click on that link above, it has all the newsletters catalogued

Andrew Longman
10-12-07, 05:21 PM

Its a Texas thing. I think heard W Bush use the term in a speech about the importance of intelligence and strategery. :D

Ankf00
10-12-07, 05:26 PM
Its a Texas thing. I think heard W Bush use the term in a speech about the importance of intelligence and strategery. :D

you are mistaken. aggy are not texan, they are aggy unto themselves.

unless you're a "2%'er" like RichK, in that case you're not "old army," therefore not an authentic ag, therefore you remain unscathed by the mind hive ;)

Andrew Longman
10-12-07, 05:31 PM
you are mistaken. aggy are not texan, they are aggy unto themselves.

Now, now. The rest of Texas allows them to remain and breed. :D

Ankf00
10-12-07, 05:48 PM
we keep them confined to the backwoods, what harm can they do there?

ferrarigod
10-13-07, 12:44 PM
So I'm sitting here watching Iowa play the Fightin' Zookers. Fuming, if you will, try to grasp at how Jerk Ferentz makes all the money he does.

Sooooo, what is wrong with this picture, here, I'll help
1. Nick Saban, Alabama 4,000,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)
2. Charlie Weis, Notre Dame $3,300,000 LOSER
3. Pete Carroll, Southern Cal $3,000,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)
4. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma $3,000,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)
5. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa $2,850,000 LOSER
6. Mack Brown, Texas $2,550,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)
7. Jim Tressel, Ohio State $2,450,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)
8. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn $2,200,000 (NATIONAL TITLE) yea, i say so
9. Joe Paterno, Penn State $2,100,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)
10. Philip Fulmer, Tennessee $2,050,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)

So outside of the clear stupidity that is, Notre Dame football, Iowa is the only punks on the list to pay such a price to have the honor of losing as many games as they do.

Kirk Ferentz is 55-43(that is until they lose to the Illini, 55-44 after), that is on record pace for a worse record than Hayden Fry, and it will be a cold day in hell before they get a 2nd national title after the one and only 50 years ago when college ball resembled a co-ed intramural flag football game.

So what was Iowa thinking? I understand that Notre Dame is OUT of their damn mind, and they are paying for it, again.

But what is your damage Iowa, when did this AWESOME contract take place and please, for your sake, when does it end?

If you signed Kirk for that before his 2002 sharing of the Big Ten, then that is the most idiotic thing ever, as he hadn't even won a share of the Ten since he arrived, and has only 2 in his 9 years, or should we say 2 in 10 years. You haven't gotten a Big Ten to yourself since 1986, and well that is all kind of sad.

Either way, it is sickening that that much money is spent on a coach that has yet to do anything to prove his worth.

Good luck against the Zookers.

Spicoli
10-13-07, 01:50 PM
purdue looking sharp today.

31-7 Half

:laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
10-13-07, 03:00 PM
OSU should be dropped to #4 for not beating Kent State by at least 79 points.

jcollins28
10-13-07, 03:42 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/1559407899_e94df1edeb_o.jpg

jcollins28
10-13-07, 05:43 PM
Top news story in L.A., Hospitals in the Southern California are experiencing a shortage of crutches following a recent wave of broken ankles in the L.A area. All victims seem to be fans of the USC football team.

ferrarigod
10-13-07, 05:44 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/1559407899_e94df1edeb_o.jpg

word. :thumbup: I have an issue with their 2004 title. If USC thinks they can claim half of the 2003 title b/c LSU played a crappy OU, then the same flies for them the next year when Auburn was left out to so USC could play a crappy OU.

just my 2 pennies.

dando
10-13-07, 05:54 PM
So I'm sitting here watching Iowa play the Fightin' Zookers. Fuming, if you will, try to grasp at how Jerk Ferentz makes all the money he does.

Sooooo, what is wrong with this picture, here, I'll help
1. Nick Saban, Alabama 4,000,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)
2. Charlie Weis, Notre Dame $3,300,000 LOSER
3. Pete Carroll, Southern Cal $3,000,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)
4. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma $3,000,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)
5. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa $2,850,000 LOSER
6. Mack Brown, Texas $2,550,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)
7. Jim Tressel, Ohio State $2,450,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)
8. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn $2,200,000 (NATIONAL TITLE) yea, i say so
9. Joe Paterno, Penn State $2,100,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)
10. Philip Fulmer, Tennessee $2,050,000 (NATIONAL TITLE)

So outside of the clear stupidity that is, Notre Dame football, Iowa is the only punks on the list to pay such a price to have the honor of losing as many games as they do.

Kirk Ferentz is 55-43(that is until they lose to the Illini, 55-44 after), that is on record pace for a worse record than Hayden Fry, and it will be a cold day in hell before they get a 2nd national title after the one and only 50 years ago when college ball resembled a co-ed intramural flag football game.

So what was Iowa thinking? I understand that Notre Dame is OUT of their damn mind, and they are paying for it, again.

But what is your damage Iowa, when did this AWESOME contract take place and please, for your sake, when does it end?

If you signed Kirk for that before his 2002 sharing of the Big Ten, then that is the most idiotic thing ever, as he hadn't even won a share of the Ten since he arrived, and has only 2 in his 9 years, or should we say 2 in 10 years. You haven't gotten a Big Ten to yourself since 1986, and well that is all kind of sad.

Either way, it is sickening that that much money is spent on a coach that has yet to do anything to prove his worth.

Good luck against the Zookers.

56-43. :p

Ferentz is the most overrated coach in college foosball. Period.

-Kevin

dando
10-13-07, 05:56 PM
purdue looking sharp today.

:laugh:

Purdoo 33 ND 19. Nuff said. Look in your own backyard for the suck, yo. :laugh:

-Kevin

dando
10-13-07, 06:02 PM
OSU should be dropped to #4 for not beating Kent State by at least 79 points.

Duder, they played the 2nd and 3rd teams the ENTIRE second half. Plus they buttoned it up and ran the ball most of the second half (9 passes vs. 16 in the 1st half). Embarrassing in-state schools is not Scarlet & Gray Jeebus Tressel's style, yo. :irked:

-Kevin

dando
10-13-07, 08:03 PM
Oh the upset goodness. Thx, Less Miles. :gomer: :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Insomniac
10-13-07, 08:17 PM
It seems the real parity is in the NCAA. Or, as usual, people can't rank the teams very well. :)

ferrarigod
10-13-07, 08:22 PM
It seems the real parity is in the NCAA. Or, as usual, people can't rank the teams very well. :)

i have always felt, and now more than ever feel, that pre-season polls should be banned.

Thank you UK for beating LSU, now its time for Oregon State to do its job and off the fighting Berks.

Tim
10-13-07, 08:26 PM
I was pumped at the start of the year to have Wisconsin/Michigan tickets. Now I'll be attending the game that will decide who goes to the Alamo bowl.

Methanolandbrats
10-13-07, 09:59 PM
I was pumped at the start of the year to have Wisconsin/Michigan tickets. Now I'll be attending the game that will decide who goes to the Alamo bowl.:laugh: That's funny. Ya never know how this stuff will come out.

dando
10-13-07, 10:45 PM
Hippies == :rofl:

UC > left coast OSU > Cal. :laugh:

-Kevin

greenie
10-13-07, 10:47 PM
Thank you UK for beating LSU, now its time for Oregon State to do its job and off the fighting Berks.

You got your wish. What a wild finish - I don't expect the brainiac teams to meltdown completely like Cal did - but that was a coaching failure (kick the FG w/no time outs - just asking for trouble) and a mistake by the QB (running past the LOS for no explicable reason), topped off by another coaching failure (having the kick team run out on 2nd down, spike the ****ing ball).

Fantastic! :beer:

KAOS theory reigns supreme in the NCAA this year - wild season.

edit - p.s. - it was funny seeing the Cal students not leaving their seats after that calamity. They also looked stupid - go back to class geeks. :gomer:

coolhand
10-13-07, 10:59 PM
CAL losing like that had to be worse than SC being outplayed by the farm... :rofl: :rofl: I did not realize how much of an eff up that was till he got up and ran towards the sideline.

cameraman
10-14-07, 12:40 AM
56-43. :p

Ferentz is the most overrated coach in college foosball. Period.

-Kevin

It could be worse, they could have Gene Chizik.
:shakehead

Gnam
10-14-07, 02:45 AM
Now THAT was Cal football. Get your hopes up, then rip your guts out.

ferrarigod
10-14-07, 02:54 AM
lsu. hahaha.
cal. hahaha.
mizzou. haha.

good riddens, bad rubbish.

:D

dando
10-14-07, 10:33 AM

Or other UT greatness like Greg Roibinson. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
10-14-07, 10:36 AM
Early BC$ projects have The OSU #1 and USF #2 followed by BC. :eek:

-Kevin

ferrarigod
10-14-07, 02:07 PM
AP Top 25
1. Ohio State (50) 7-0 1,599
2. South Florida (11) 6-0 1,503
3. Boston College (1) 7-0 1,448
4. Oklahoma (1) 6-1 1,399
5. LSU (1) 6-1 1,331

USA Today Poll
1. Ohio State (56) 7-0 1,495
2. Boston College (1) 7-0 1,383
3. South Florida (3) 6-0 1,320
4. Oklahoma 6-1 1,288
5. LSU 6-1 1,173

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

BCS comes out at 5 right? Or is it different for the first one?

dando
10-14-07, 02:29 PM
BCS comes out at 5 right? Or is it different for the first one?

Something like that. Last year it coincided with halftime of the 4pm game, plus they want to get it onto the 6pm news and SportsCenter. This season just goes to show why a playoff is needed. :irked: IMHO, The OSU is #1 by default, not by results. :\

EDIT: they will be announced on the Fox postgame show according the the Fox studio talking heads.

-Kevin

coolhand
10-14-07, 03:44 PM
Funny this goes back around to where OSU was last year.

The AP poll though makes no sense.

dando
10-14-07, 03:50 PM
Funny this goes back around to where OSU was last year.

The AP poll though makes no sense.

Just shows how clueless the writers are on how to handle the non-traditional teams like USF and BC. It'll be interesting to see how the Harris and the 'puter polls handle them as well. I suspect they'll be all over the map based on what I read/heard about them thus far. :irked:

USF @ the Scarlet Letters on Thurs should be fun. :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
10-14-07, 04:41 PM
Goters #15, U$C #14, Ducks #10. :eek:

Gotta love LSU #4 while Kintucky is @ #7, and Cal @ #12 with Duckies @ #10. :gomer:

-Kevin

coolhand
10-14-07, 04:54 PM
Goters #15, U$C #14, Ducks #10. :eek:

Gotta love LSU #4 while Kintucky is @ #7, and Cal @ #12 with Duckies @ #10. :gomer:

-Kevin

lol SC is 9 in the two human polls but 14 in BCS, that Stanford loss is a big hit in the puters.

ASU #1 pac-10

What game worries you most for OSU?

ferrarigod
10-14-07, 07:05 PM
lol SC is 9 in the two human polls but 14 in BCS, that Stanford loss is a big hit in the puters.

ASU #1 pac-10

What game worries you most for OSU?

@ Meatchicken. pretty much all there is, and I don't think scUM has a chance, however, it'll probably be for the Big Televen, so who knows.

Personally I don't think OSU should be first, USF has played (somewhat) quality teams, OSU has zero to show except playing at a weak Washington.

Should be USF, OSU, LSU, BC, OU.

BC having trouble with ND yesterday says something.

ferrarigod
10-14-07, 07:25 PM
Word on the street is Steve Pederson, A.D. for Nebraska has been fired.

Yes, he just signed a contract extension. Yes Callihan just signed one. The booster money is drying up quick and Pederson solely took it on himself to hire Bill and Cosgrove, he is the first step in the firing.

Another rumor from Lincoln is that the UNL President(or whatever regent or whatever they have) is gone sooner rather than later.

Cosgrove was going to be used as a easy way out after the USC game, but Pederson decided to ignore that.

Big donaters are said to have stopped funding until the entire network has been reshuffled.

Also someone close to Tom Osbourne said Dr. Tom may end up heading a committee to bring together the Husker community and find another coach.

Lincoln is burning.

cameraman
10-14-07, 07:27 PM
Lincoln is burning.

Good.

ferrarigod
10-14-07, 07:47 PM
Mike Gundy Bud Light Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyTQUWEKx0o

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dando
10-14-07, 07:51 PM
lWhat game worries you most for OSU?

The BC$ championship. :gomer:

PSU will be the be a test. Night game in unHappy Valley, plus JoePa has caused probs for Tress & crew since Scarlet & Gray Jesus took over the head job. Close games in '02, '03 and '06, plus the upset there in '05. Baring major injuries, I don't see much in the way of a challenge with MSU, Zookers, Wisky, and UM upcoming. UM should be a challenge, but who knows with that squad? Plus, if Hart's injury is bad, they might as well start planning for LLLLLoyd's retirement party.

-Kevin

dando
10-14-07, 07:55 PM
@ Meatchicken.

aka: the other, other white meat. :gomer: That game depends on Hart's health plain and simple.

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-15-07, 11:36 AM
ISU has absolutely no talent and that's the new coach's fault how?

CAL losing like that had to be worse than SC being outplayed by the farm... :rofl:
while it was hilarious, keep telling yourself that ;)

and ol' Lester plays true to form :laugh:

Dr. Corkski
10-15-07, 12:10 PM
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/7587/manginodonewu0.jpg

Andrew Longman
10-15-07, 12:57 PM
USF @ the Scarlet Letters on Thurs should be fun. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Sure should be. Piscataway will be rockin'. Rutgers (and Ray Rice, now running behind Anthony Davis) looks to have their mojo back against Cuse.

Now IF RU wins, what does THAT do to the rankings? OSU #1 and everyone else just forfeits the rest of the season?

Ankf00
10-15-07, 01:00 PM
last night was fun.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7466/drivechatlw6.jpg

Ankf00
10-15-07, 03:54 PM
Pederson pressie in an hour.

You want to get back to winning on the plains?

Chris. f'n. Peterson.

Don Quixote
10-15-07, 06:47 PM
But defense wins in the Big 12. Not a good fit, IMO, but it sure would be fun to watch.

ferrarigod
10-15-07, 07:07 PM
Word on the street is Steve Pederson, A.D. for Nebraska has been fired.

Yes, he just signed a contract extension. Yes Callihan just signed one. The booster money is drying up quick and Pederson solely took it on himself to hire Bill and Cosgrove, he is the first step in the firing.

Another rumor from Lincoln is that the UNL President(or whatever regent or whatever they have) is gone sooner rather than later.

Cosgrove was going to be used as a easy way out after the USC game, but Pederson decided to ignore that.

Big donaters are said to have stopped funding until the entire network has been reshuffled.

Also someone close to Tom Osbourne said Dr. Tom may end up heading a committee to bring together the Husker community and find another coach.

Lincoln is burning.

awesome. about damn time. he is the sole reason why callahan is there, he made all the decisions and he made the worst ones.

tough break.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=aOuv0xBg1rgA&refer=home

cosgrove, callihan and the president are next. purge the skers.

bomb. destroy. rebuild.

:thumbup:

Pederson first, Callihan next. Callihan won't let them fire Cosgrove, and refuses to be a lame duck.

Still looking to the president on the way out as well, time will tell.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10410319

Ankf00
10-16-07, 11:13 AM
why the **** would the president be fired over football performance?

But defense wins in the Big 12. Not a good fit, IMO, but it sure would be fun to watch.
40ppg spread passing attacks win the Big 12, unless it's a CU/KSU spoiler year.

Heupel and '00 OU was almost exclusively a 4 wide gun base set based on Leach's offense (he had left for TT the year before), then Mangino modified it incorporating more 11 packages w/ the TE but remaind shotgun spread. Long takes over OC duties and brings in some I-form and you have to take advantage of AP's ability but they still aired it out from the same base sets. UT's '04-'05 teams were shotgun zone read based with a 3 WR base set. Base set remained the same the past 2 years only w/o the zone read base running play.

the diff between Tech/OkSt and OU/UT is D, but unless NU becomes the '85 bears NU doesn't have the guns to hang with UT or OU in most years

Methanolandbrats
10-16-07, 11:15 AM
why the **** would the president be fired over football performance? You just don't understand the purpose of a top tier university ;)

Andrew Longman
10-16-07, 11:30 AM

Interesting discussion here: http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-knightcommission&prov=ap&type=lgns

Sports are a separate commercial enterprise from the academic part of the school?

True, but sad.

And if the boosters are holding back money because the football team stinks, then its the presidents fault because #1 on his list of priorities in "development".

Ankf00
10-16-07, 12:11 PM
the academics at UT got their way years ago when the Ath Dept was hung out on its own to dry.

only turns out that most would rather donate to the ath dept than the univ, so now the ath dept is rolling in funds while the univ is losing budget...

but on topic, the ath dept is pretty much independent in operation as long as the players are clean and are not making the general univ look bad(that hasn't been going so well lately), but the univ Pres & Chancellor are never going to be pressured b/c of a football team if President Faulkner was never pressured during the McWilliams/Mackovic years

Don Quixote
10-16-07, 03:18 PM
40ppg spread passing attacks win the Big 12, unless it's a CU/KSU spoiler year.
Except, in the north, there's always a couple of pesky games played in the snow or freezing rain. They still better be able to pound the ball on the inside and play tough defense, or risk being an entertaining third place team. In addition, those corn fed NE farm boys don't know how to play that game you speak of.

Ankf00
10-16-07, 03:46 PM
In addition, those corn fed NE farm boys don't know how to play that game you speak of. true :laugh:

but remember buffalo's K-Gun took them to 4 straight super bowls, and Chris Peterson's Chameleon spread is doing pretty well in Boise.

Thing about both of them is they had/have solid rushing components, which imo is why Peterson would be such a great fit scheme-wise, his gameplan will pound the ball 45 times a game if that's what's going to win the game for him, thus "chameleon offense" :) And yes, I have a man-crush.

Don Quixote
10-16-07, 04:03 PM
So we are in agreement, Lloyd Carr to the Corn. :D

ferrarigod
10-16-07, 04:21 PM

No one is a fan of the Prez. He hired Pederson and signed him to an extension after years of being total ****. The big N donaters have stated that they don't like the prez, or the direction of athletics or academics. The Prez and state regents board, (or whatever they are calling themselves) made this decision. The Prez needed to do it to save his job, as Pederson ignored the opportunity 2 weeks before to pass the blame on someone else.

Ank, I don't know if you understand how serious Nebraska football is to those in Lincoln/Omaha. It is ALL that is there, it is ALL they have. On gameday Memorial is the 2nd biggest city in Nebraska. They have no lives, but they do have money, and money talks.

As time goes on, we'll find out what happens. Money talks, ******** walks, and the big Nebraska money wants a total reconstruction and Dr. Tom as at least Interim AD searching for a new coach.

So we are in agreement, Lloyd Carr to the Corn. :D

If that is the case, I'm glad we all agree Les Miles to scUM. Bo Pellini to Nebraska perhaps as well. Many liked what he did under Frank.

Ankf00
10-16-07, 04:30 PM
Unless it's something as seedy as the Barnett business, and in this case it's not, it's just losses, the President has nothing at all to do with athletics (unless you're OU and Scott Boren, in which case you have no academics to fall back on so you only focus on football). There's no way faculty are going to let the ath dept and its boosters start meddling with the general university

coolhand
10-17-07, 12:53 AM
Interesting discussion here: http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-knightcommission&prov=ap&type=lgns

Sports are a separate commercial enterprise from the academic part of the school?

True, but sad.

And if the boosters are holding back money because the football team stinks, then its the presidents fault because #1 on his list of priorities in "development".

"What we've got here is essentially a commercial enterprise," Gary Roberts, dean of the Indiana University law school, told the commission.

That is why they don't like it

ferrarigod
10-17-07, 10:33 AM
Unless it's something as seedy as the Barnett business, and in this case it's not, it's just losses, the President has nothing at all to do with athletics (unless you're OU and Scott Boren, in which case you have no academics to fall back on so you only focus on football). There's no way faculty are going to let the ath dept and its boosters start meddling with the general university

step 2, Dr Tom becomes interim AD:
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-colfoot1017.artoct17,0,7655317.story

only 3 more steps to go. Making Dr. Tom interim may save the chancellor(that what the real name of that role is at UNL). I'm telling you Ank, big **** is going down, Harvey Pearlman may have helped to save his job with Dr. Tom's interim role, but he isn't out of the woods yet.

Still up for firing, Cosgrove and Bill. So long ladies. black shirts should release balloons over this.

ferrarigod
10-17-07, 10:40 AM
just got word of the short list for coaches. There are basically 2 different tiers of coaches, Jim Levitt, Bo Pellini being in the top tier. Turner Gill (former Sker now UBuff coach) and a few others are being mentioned. No Chris Peterson mentioned. If Norm Chow takes over USC as expected, and Les Miles heads to the Wolverweenie's this could get very interesting. Still a much better situation than after they fired Solich and had much larger competition for a coach position.

I am so amused that Dr. Tom is the interim after he and the '97 team watched that Neb/OSU game at home last weekend. When talking to anyone I know from the Big O, or UNL the first thing they say is, 'Dr. Tom wanted to be Governor and lost, many people stating that he'd be more help as UNL AD than down the street at the governors office.' It's true, they're insane.

Ankf00
10-17-07, 11:27 AM
only 3 more steps to go. Making Dr. Tom interim may save the chancellor(that what the real name of that role is at UNL). I'm telling you Ank, big **** is going down, Harvey Pearlman may have helped to save his job with Dr. Tom's interim role, but he isn't out of the woods yet.

http://www.nebraska.edu/board/

The Board of Regents consists of eight voting members elected by district (see map) for six-year terms, and four non-voting student Regents, one from each campus, who serve during their tenure as student body president. The board supervises the general operations of the university, and the control and direction of all expenditures. The board also includes a corporation secretary who manages all records including agendas, minutes, notices, policies and bylaws. Those documents can also be found on this web site.

The board meets regularly, primarily in Lincoln but also in Omaha and greater Nebraska. Persons wishing to provide information to the board or to appear before it should contact:

the day athletics dictates who is in charge of the general university is the day the entire faculty quits. boosters can't do a damned thing about it

ferrarigod
10-17-07, 02:58 PM
the day athletics dictates who is in charge of the general university is the day the entire faculty quits. boosters can't do a damned thing about it

boosters = money. they have stopped promising to give it. thats how the boosters speak and get things done.

Neb. is set up much different than Florida and Ohio State in the governance of universities, but I'm telling you, one thing is for certain, money talks. The one advantage Florida has is if boosters don't give money its the UAA that gets hurt, not the school, so not giving money doesn't prove anything to UF. Either way, this isn't done yet, soooo glad Dr. Tom is there.

Ankf00
10-17-07, 03:27 PM
boosters = money. they have stopped promising to give it. thats how the boosters speak and get things done.
unless federal & private research grants and state funding is affected no one will be affected. athletic boosters donate 99% of their $$$ to athletics, not the univ.

Pelini's the obvious choice (even though I don't think his NU or OU defenses were great at all), Turner Gill w/ his 5-14 record would be idiotic with who's available to them.

cameraman
10-17-07, 03:56 PM
boosters = money.

Not so much. The "boosters" that donate to the athletic department are not the same alumni that build new teaching buildings and fund faculty chairs. They are two very different groups of people and there is surprisingly little crossover between the two.

That said the largest individual donor to the University of Utah has built buildings for both but they have spent well over a hundred million on this place and they are well & truly out of the ordinary.

Don Quixote
10-17-07, 04:42 PM
I read in an SI earlier this year that tOSU athletic department made an $8 million profit last year, and fields 36 varsity sports, far more than any other school. A check for 5 mil was written to help pay for the library renovation. Nice to have 105k seats sold out on Saturdays.

ferrarigod
10-17-07, 11:14 PM
I read in an SI earlier this year that tOSU athletic department made an $8 million profit last year, and fields 36 varsity sports, far more than any other school. A check for 5 mil was written to help pay for the library renovation. Nice to have 105k seats sold out on Saturdays.

i'm pretty sure they increased revenue 8 million. believe total revenue was just at $105-110 million. it was the first year in a while that OSU made profit, $1.5 million. my numbers may be a little off, but it was alarmingly not a lot of profit.

The UAA at UF has never made anything public. It is an intriguing situation for a private company to be handling such things.

dando
10-17-07, 11:53 PM

And the Schott should sold out for the boyz hoops this season. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
10-18-07, 10:14 AM
i'm pretty sure they increased revenue 8 million. believe total revenue was just at $105-110 million. it was the first year in a while that OSU made profit, $1.5 million. my numbers may be a little off, but it was alarmingly not a lot of profit.

The UAA at UF has never made anything public. It is an intriguing situation for a private company to be handling such things.

http://www.forbes.com/home/business/2006/12/22/college-football-ncaa-business_cz_jg_1222collegefootball.html

Ankf00
10-18-07, 10:52 AM
pretty sure I posted top 10 ath dept revenues and their flucuations year to year on this thread or some other within the past 3 months.

ferrarigod
10-18-07, 11:48 AM
http://www.forbes.com/home/business/2006/12/22/college-football-ncaa-business_cz_jg_1222collegefootball.html

thats value of the brand, not AD profit/loss.

Ankf00
10-18-07, 12:10 PM
found it: http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=206827&postcount=198

2.9M surprlus for tOSU Ath Dept for 05-06, but dunno about 06-07

dando
10-18-07, 01:12 PM

Keep in mind the debt being carried by The OSU for building Andyland (Jesse Owens Field, The Schott, The Shoe renovation, etc.) There's a few hundred millions being paid for in debt to build those facilities, yo.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
10-18-07, 01:32 PM
thats value of the brand, not AD profit/loss.

As determined by the profit they then contribute to the school and other stakeholders.

dando
10-18-07, 11:37 PM
Congrats Scarlet Letters. :thumbup: USF #2 my @ss. :irked:

-Kevin

chop456
10-19-07, 01:25 AM
A #2 team only giving 2 points to an unranked opponent. Right. The rankings continue to be a joke. :tony:

Too bad USF couldn't have played OSU in the whatever bowl so we could see a 174-3 demolition.

Andrew Longman
10-19-07, 12:24 PM
Too bad USF couldn't have played OSU in the whatever bowl so we could see a 174-3 demolition.

At least there won't be TWO underserving teams in the championship game.

OSU is good but they've done nothing but not lose to an unranked team to deserve the #1 ranking. Looking at their schedule, that may not change.

This year more than any in memory shows the need to for a playoff.

Last night's RU win was huge but not because they beat the #2 team, No one thought USF was deserving of #2. Rather it was big because a loss to a very good USF would drop them to 4-3 and 1-2 in the conference with little chance at a Big East championship and/or major bowl bid.

The rankings are stupid and therefore the whole BCS championship thing is stupid. That said, anyone care to predict how far RU rises and USF falls? :)

ferrarigod
10-19-07, 06:03 PM
The plot thickens:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=291569

Nebraska interim athletic director Tom Osborne responded Thursday to reports that football coach Bill Callahan said the former coach was "trying to run things from Washington" while he was a U.S. congressman.

Callahan allegedly called Osborne a "crusty old (expletive)," according to former Nebraska football trainer Doak Ostergard, who is quoted in a book to be self-published by a student at the University of Nebraska.

goodbye bill. you wank.

dando
10-19-07, 10:44 PM
At least there won't be TWO underserving teams in the championship game.

OSU is good but they've done nothing but not lose to an unranked team to deserve the #1 ranking. Looking at their schedule, that may not change.

This year more than any in memory shows the need to for a playoff.

Last night's RU win was huge but not because they beat the #2 team, No one thought USF was deserving of #2. Rather it was big because a loss to a very good USF would drop them to 4-3 and 1-2 in the conference with little chance at a Big East championship and/or major bowl bid.

The rankings are stupid and therefore the whole BCS championship thing is stupid. That said, anyone care to predict how far RU rises and USF falls? :)
Depending on this weekend's results, USF drops to ~#15 and Scarlet Letters end up # 25 or just outside the top 25 looking in. YMMV.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
10-19-07, 10:50 PM
Depending on this weekend's results, USF drops to ~#15 and Scarlet Letters end up # 25 or just outside the top 25 looking in. YMMV.

-Kevin

Wow, that's not very generous to RU or the Big East.

But you might be right.

I find a couple of comments interesting among the ESPN pundits. RU only won because the got lucky on two fake kicks that were well defended. Bunk. USF was never securely in the lead and looked pretty much the equal the whole game.

Or, the BCS is relieved USF lost because they never should have been there in the first place.

Other wins and losses matter but I would think/hope beating the #2 team after previously being in the top ten would justify something better than a #25 ranking.

Regardless, the thing that is most important and should be is simply winning the BE championship

jcollins28
10-20-07, 06:14 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/sonofwestwood2002/cal_bearhump.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/sonofwestwood2002/cal_aid.jpg
http://images.bruinsnation.com/images/admin/CalBanner.jpg

EDwardo
10-20-07, 06:34 PM
NATIONAL CHUMPIONSHIP GAME

Notre Dame vs Nebraska

:snicker:

ferrarigod
10-20-07, 08:01 PM
NATIONAL CHUMPIONSHIP GAME

Notre Dame vs Nebraska

:snicker:

appalachian could ****'em both up.

ferrarigod
10-23-07, 04:28 PM
nebraska is favored by 22 points over Texas this weekend.

If there was ever a time to mortgage a house, this would be it.

Ankf00
10-23-07, 04:50 PM
you suck at reading lines. try it again ;)

ferrarigod
10-23-07, 05:02 PM
you suck at reading lines. try it again ;)

oh yea, you're right, my friend messed up his message he put a - not a +.

either way, 22 is not enough either. :rofl: :rofl:

Ankf00
10-23-07, 05:32 PM
'07 Texas Football is like a pregnant chick. You've got no clue what mood she's going to be in on gameday. I think the +21 is mad generous, but that's just me.

ferrarigod
10-23-07, 05:58 PM
'07 Texas Football is like a pregnant chick. You've got no clue what mood she's going to be in on gameday. I think the +21 is mad generous, but that's just me.

UT has been a tad schizo, but I can't imagine lincoln is gonna work this one out.

Gnam
10-24-07, 05:57 PM
Omaha, NE (AP) -A seven-year old boy was at the center of a
Douglas County courtroom drama today when he challenged a
court ruling over who should have custody of him. The boy has
a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge
initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child
custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be
maintained to the highest degree possible. The boy surprised
the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than
his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her.

When the judge then suggested that he live with his
grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him.
After considering the remainder of the immediate family and
learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life
among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing
the boy to propose who should have custody of him. After two
recesses to check legal references and confer with the child
welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the
Nebraska Cornhuskers, whom the boy firmly believes are not
capable of beating anyone.

cameraman
10-24-07, 07:06 PM
The kid is wrong. Nebraska kicked the crap out of Iowa State:shakehead

dando
10-24-07, 11:58 PM
Wow, that's not very generous to RU or the Big East.

But you might be right.

I find a couple of comments interesting among the ESPN pundits. RU only won because the got lucky on two fake kicks that were well defended. Bunk. USF was never securely in the lead and looked pretty much the equal the whole game.

Or, the BCS is relieved USF lost because they never should have been there in the first place.

Other wins and losses matter but I would think/hope beating the #2 team after previously being in the top ten would justify something better than a #25 ranking.

Regardless, the thing that is most important and should be is simply winning the BE championship

Been busy taking the girls to WDW this week, so I haven't had much time to check the rankings or much else this week. Looks like I got it pretty close, with USF a few spots higher due to other upsets last week, and RU #25 in one poll, but outside looking in in another poll. *bows* ;)

Trickeration is part of the game. USF got caught by with its pants down and RU executed well.

It'll be interesting to see if BU and The OSU survive the weekend. Rain in unHappy Valley concerns me ala '05 upset. :\

-Kevin