PDA

View Full Version : 2007 NFL Foosball!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Andrew Longman
11-25-07, 06:26 PM
Eli sucks. :yuck:

Not just Eli sucking. It would help if receivers made their reads and ran their routes correctly.

But mostly Giants were out-prepped and probably believing their hype again.

Insomniac
11-25-07, 06:53 PM
They still have a 1.5 game lead over Detroit in the WC. A lot of people say that they could beat NE in the last game because they may be playing to get into the playoffs. As it stands right now, they'll have nothing to play for (locked into #5). Would've been nice if they won though. :)

Spicoli
11-25-07, 07:03 PM
Devin Hester runback for Bears. Holy Jeebus was that guy flying. :eek:

Edit: Make that TWO runbacks.

Andrew Longman
11-25-07, 07:13 PM
They still have a 1.5 game lead over Detroit in the WC. A lot of people say that they could beat NE in the last game because they may be playing to get into the playoffs. As it stands right now, they'll have nothing to play for (locked into #5). Would've been nice if they won though. :)

I have a feeling NE is going to go for every record they can this year. Belichick won't make the same mistake Dungy did a few years ago. Football players can only get motivated if they are chasing or being chased and he wants this team to be the most dominant team in history. That's what they are chasing.

And in the Chase/Be Chased theme that's exactly the trap I see the Giants falling into. I can easily see a total collapse a la last year or limping into the playoffs utter believing they can just turn it on again.

And as someone who spends time and money to watch them, yes it would be nice if they won, or at least looked prepared for the possiblity.

Ankf00
11-25-07, 07:35 PM
And as someone who spends time and money to watch them, yes it would be nice if they won, or at least looked prepared for the possiblity.

my biggest beef. the last time they showed any effort in a big game was 41-0. ever since then they've just sleepwalked through the important games

IlliniRacer
11-26-07, 11:30 AM
Went to the Lambs game yesterday.

Like the tens of people in the stands, I too thought they were on the verge of victory. Alas, we were punched in the 'nads and reminded that our team was being lead by Gus Frerotte. :shakehead

Don Quixote
11-26-07, 11:48 AM
Devin Hester runback for Bears. Holy Jeebus was that guy flying. :eek:

Edit: Make that TWO runbacks. And his presence indirectly caused a blocked punt later in the game. Nice that the Broncos decided to accommodate Hester by kicking to him. :laugh:

Andrew Longman
11-26-07, 01:00 PM
Nice that the Broncos decided to accommodate Hester by kicking to him. :laugh:

Height of Shananhan arrogance. Not once but twice.:rolleyes:

Insomniac
11-26-07, 02:10 PM
I have a feeling NE is going to go for every record they can this year. Belichick won't make the same mistake Dungy did a few years ago. Football players can only get motivated if they are chasing or being chased and he wants this team to be the most dominant team in history. That's what they are chasing.

After last night, they have some tinkering to do to get back on track to destroy records. Baltimore and Pittsburgh the next 2 weeks.

Don Quixote
11-26-07, 02:40 PM
Height of Shananhan arrogance. Not once but twice.:rolleyes: Sports talk around here is beating up on the special teams coach today. You can bet your life that the "the rat" was the one that decided to kick to Hester.

FTG
11-26-07, 02:47 PM
Did anyone see Vince Young? He was just five touchdown passes short of beating a 3 and 7 team.

Ankf00
11-26-07, 02:49 PM
You can bet your life that the "the rat" was the one that decided to kick to Hester. I didn't know Jerry Jones was involved with the Broncos. Go figure...

TKGAngel
11-26-07, 03:02 PM
Saw this on the local sports station site amongst the Team JP / Team Trent talk:

http://www.wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=2852

Hope he comes out of everything ok.

Insomniac
11-26-07, 03:11 PM
Sports talk around here is beating up on the special teams coach today. You can bet your life that the "the rat" was the one that decided to kick to Hester.

The Rat = Shanahan a.k.a. The Ultimate Leader (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=415)?

Don Quixote
11-26-07, 03:38 PM
Saw this on the local sports station site amongst the Team JP / Team Trent talk:

http://www.wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=2852

Hope he comes out of everything ok.That does not sound good. I wonder if he knows the assailant? :(

FTG
11-26-07, 04:09 PM
That does not sound good. I wonder if he knows the assailant? :(

"Officers were sent to Taylor's home at about 1:45 a.m. after his girlfriend called 911 and said he was shot in his lower body, Lt. Nancy Perez said.

Investigators were still interviewing the girlfriend and other relatives who were in the home to try to determine what happened, Perez said

had been shot in the leg and there was much bleeding because the femoral artery was severed."

"Femoral artery: The main artery of the thigh, supplying blood to the groin and lower extremity."

Home invasions happen, but most robbers don't walk into a home full of people.

cameraman
11-26-07, 04:20 PM
Severed femoral artery = zero blood pressure = zero oxygen to brain.
:shakehead

FTG
11-26-07, 04:25 PM
Severed femoral artery = zero blood pressure = zero oxygen to brain.
:shakehead

I doubt the shooter had a medical degree, but we'll see: all the facts aren't in.
Still, I'd still rather be hit in the femoral artery than what she might have been aiming at. Andre Rison's girlfriend doesn't seem so bad to me now.

cameraman
11-26-07, 04:37 PM
I doubt the shooter had a medical degree

Don't care. If his femoral artery was really severed the likelihood that he will have serious & permanent brain damage is very high. That said:
A hospital spokeswoman says Taylor's family has asked that no information about his condition be released at this point.

Insomniac
11-26-07, 04:43 PM
I doubt the shooter had a medical degree, but we'll see: all the facts aren't in.
Still, I'd still rather be hit in the femoral artery than what she might have been aiming at. Andre Rison's girlfriend doesn't seem so bad to me now.

Do you think his girlfriend shot him? He heard some noise and went downstairs to investigate it and was shot by one of the people breaking in to his home with his girlfriend and daughter upstairs.

FTG
11-26-07, 04:56 PM
Don't care. If his femoral artery was really severed the likelihood that he will have serious & permanent brain damage is very high.

Obviously, I hope that he's OK - especially since Springs father is in a coma - but someone pulled the trigger and I don't think there's anything wrong with wondering who, especially since - right now - Taylor is still alive.

Do you think his girlfriend shot him? He heard some noise and went downstairs to investigate it and was shot by one of the people breaking in to his home with his girlfriend and daughter upstairs.

Could be a burglar, but I'm skeptical. I would imagine he could afford a pretty good security system. Amateurs tend to shoot high. Good shots tend to hit center body mass. Taylor had been in trouble before. If I understand the reports correctly, The first call to police said, "Someone's been shot." (If the girlfriend were safely in bed, wouldn't she phone 911 and say, "I think there's someone in our house." right away) Lots of things that make me wonder. We'll know soon enough. CSI can figure it out.

dando
11-26-07, 11:00 PM
And the winner for the most pathetic field in the NFL is.....

Pittsburgh!

How pathetic. :shakehead

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
11-26-07, 11:19 PM
And the winner for the most pathetic field in the NFL is.....

Pittsburgh!

How pathetic. :shakehead

-Kevin

36 hours of rain man. Its a mess in the East. Big issue seems to be they have a suck ass tarp there. Did nothing to protect the field.

Bigger issue is their next home game. It will be shot by games end and it is late in the year to establish new sod.

dando
11-26-07, 11:43 PM
36 hours of rain man. Its a mess in the East. Big issue seems to be they have a suck ass tarp there. Did nothing to protect the field.

Bigger issue is their next home game. It will be shot by games end and it is late in the year to establish new sod.

That is new sod, yo. I saw highlights of Pitt this past weekend, and it was dirt in the middle of the field. Heinz is notoriously bad, second only to the Pats before they installed FT last season. :shakehead

And yes, I know how wet it is...it just passed through here. :saywhat:

And yes, the next home game is vs. Cincy next week. :saywhat: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
11-26-07, 11:54 PM
Poor circumstances with the rain. They tried to "fix" it with new sod. I also take exception to second worst to NE. Painted dirt is always worse than mud. The Titans have also had painted dirt as well a few years back. So NE's field was marginally better before they replaced it. It actually held up well until last season (the Pats purposely let it get muddy/soft to make it a slow track) but Kraft had way too many things happening last spring/summer at the stadium and it never got a chance to really get rooted again.

dando
11-27-07, 12:00 AM
Poor circumstances with the rain. They tried to "fix" it with new sod. I also take exception to second worst to NE. Painted dirt is always worse than mud. The Titans have also had painted dirt as well a few years back. So NE's field was marginally better before they replaced it. It actually held up well until last season (the Pats purposely let it get muddy/soft to make it a slow track) but Kraft had way too many things happening last spring/summer at the stadium and it never got a chance to really get rooted again.

Well, the Pats fiasco is well documented after last year's abomination vs. the Jets. This is like the Snow Bowl...The OSU vs. UM w/o the snow. INSANE. Period.

EDIT: Apparently they laid the new turf on top of the old turf. Idiots. As early as last Friday the forecast was for heavy rain and storms on Monday around here. :shakehead

-Kevin

extramundane
11-27-07, 09:13 AM
Sean Taylor's gone (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Auj8q.CVo2sc2AbQuVCIIsN82PAI;_ylu=X3oDMTFpNm9 mbDM5BGlpZANpb1J2YzBNaW5nMzZ5M05DOTExblNnLS0Ebm9oA zkEcG9zAzIEcmlkA182MDU0/SIG=12al9ucjk/**http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071127/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_obit_taylor_11).

dando
11-27-07, 10:29 AM
^^^

:(

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-27-07, 01:29 PM
"According to a preliminary investigation, it appears that the victim was shot inside the home by an intruder," Miami-Dade County police said in a statement. "We do not have a subject description at this time."

But police were still investigating the attack, which came just eight days after an intruder was reported at Taylor's home. Officers were sent to the home about 1:45 a.m. Monday after Taylor's girlfriend called 911.

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened by loud noises, and Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection.

Insomniac
11-27-07, 02:18 PM
Steelers interested in WVU field surface for Heinz Field

The Steelers are investigating artificial surfaces and it appears they might install one at Heinz Field before the start of the 2008 season.

They acknowledged the surface on their field was not good enough when they covered it with new sod this weekend for tomorrow night's game. Now they are looking to take the next step and put something down permanently.

They have been particularly interested in the new surface West Virginia University has this year. WVU installed a new generation of Field Turf this summer called Duraspine at the cost of $901,152. The Steelers sent some of their people to WVU to take a look at the turf there.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07329/836557-66.stm

dando
11-28-07, 03:02 PM
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5iBdra1pKaXGPhiIPgpCy69ed8fcg

An NFL players survey last year ranked the Patriots' Gillette Stadium and Heinz Field as the two worst playing fields. The Patriots subsequently yanked up the grass and put down grass-like artificial turf.

:p

That grass has got to go. That field is worse than the field in Cincy was before they replaced it a few years ago.

-Kevin

Gnam
11-28-07, 03:34 PM
Artificial turf is neat and all, but football is supposed to be played in the mud. IMO, that Pittsburg v. Miami game was one of the best this year.

dando
11-28-07, 03:37 PM
Artificial turf is neat and all, but football is supposed to be played in the mud. IMO, that Pittsburg v. Miami game was one of the best this year.

I wouldn't have minded mud. They played that game on a sponge. Players commented that their feet and hands would completely sink into the turf (because the new turf was installed on top of the old turf).

-Kevin

Don Quixote
11-28-07, 04:28 PM
Steelers could save some money by hiring the old groundskeeper for the Browns that used to paint the dirt green. That field played way better in the rain and snow than what I saw on MN football.

dando
11-29-07, 06:18 PM
The further the travesty that is Heinz Field, the turf won't be replaced for this week's game and more rain is in the forecast for Sun. Brilliant! :shakehead Yet another mockery will be in store on SNF this week vs. the Who Deys. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-29-07, 06:28 PM
Rolle says it was a hit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3132378

dando
11-29-07, 06:30 PM
Rolle says it was a hit.

Duh. :gomer: And the police say it was a random burglary. Riiiiiight. :shakehead

-Kevin

stroker
11-29-07, 07:50 PM
No predictions on GB vs Dallas?

Does anyone happen to know when the last time Dallas played a regular season game in GB was?

extramundane
11-29-07, 08:07 PM

If a game is played, but only 17 people actually have the channel that airs it, is it really played?

dando
11-29-07, 08:08 PM

Does anyone happen to know when the last time Dallas played a regular season game in GB was?

Oh, is there an NFL game tonight? I checked the listings, but didn't see anything listed...... :saywhat: FNFLN!

No idea when they last played in the regular season @ Lambeau, but I'll bet it's been awhile.

Prediction: 'boyz 24 Packers 17

I hate the 'boyz, so Go Pack!

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-29-07, 08:57 PM
If a game is played, but only 17 people actually have the channel that airs it, is it really played?

time warner carries it in TX, so all of Houston and I believe Austin get to watch it.

dando
11-29-07, 09:08 PM
time warner carries it in TX, so all of Houston and I believe Austin get to watch it.

The FNFLN games are carried in the local markets for the teams that are playing. I would doubt that would include most of TX, as the Bungles/Bmore Browns weren't available here last season. In any case, I'll enjoy the Cards/Scarlet Letters more than that game. :)

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
11-29-07, 10:59 PM
Hey, I have the NFL Network in HD (which looks just fine on U-Verse, BTW). It still sounds like Urkel is announcing, but I have the channel.

I guess one of the benefits of having an upstart TV provider is that you have all the new channels right away.

Andrew Longman
11-29-07, 11:15 PM
I have Direct TV

I'm watching Rutgers thrash Louisville :D

I am not listening to Gumble

racermike
11-30-07, 12:10 AM
I have Direct TV

I am not listening to Gumble

Gumbel makes me want to jam a thick lead pencil into my eardrum

Methanolandbrats
11-30-07, 12:15 AM
34-27 right now. Cowhomos are up since the refs gifted em 10 points. Game was homecooked. Packers missing best pass rusher and defensive back, if Packers lose it's too bad Jerry's Kids won't come to Green Bay to play in real football weather.

Andrew Longman
11-30-07, 12:40 AM

Not

Ankf00
11-30-07, 12:44 AM
Big Least returns home to roost :gomer:

Insomniac
11-30-07, 08:32 AM
The further the travesty that is Heinz Field, the turf won't be replaced for this week's game and more rain is in the forecast for Sun. Brilliant! :shakehead Yet another mockery will be in store on SNF this week vs. the Who Deys. :saywhat:

-Kevin

There isn't much they can really do at this point. It took the Patriots 10 or 11 days to replace their field with Field Turf, and that was with no rain and working 24/7. It was also probably organized on a little more notice as well.

Insomniac
11-30-07, 08:35 AM
Rolle says it was a hit.

Makes you wonder about Mike Vick. Could he have broken away even if he wanted to? Although, the irony is his "friends" flipped on him.

TKGAngel
11-30-07, 09:46 AM
Makes you wonder about Mike Vick. Could he have broken away even if he wanted to? Although, the irony is his "friends" flipped on him.

There's an article in last week's SI about Vick. The premise of the article (and I've just skimmed it) is that Vick felt loyalty to his hometown friends, and could not break away from them. Then again, the article also points out that Vick might not have tried hard enough to break away, despite having numerous opportunities to do so. The former mayor of Atlanta (his name escapes me atthe moment) said that he'd approached Vick numerous times about getting involved in the community, joining a church, etc and was always rebuffed, as Vick preferred to hang with the people from his hometown, thereby isolating himself from the Atlanta community.

nrc
11-30-07, 09:59 AM

-Kevin

The Bengals got permission to use one inch cleats so the divots should be epic! :)

dando
11-30-07, 10:22 AM
The Bengals got permission to use one inch cleats so the divots should be epic! :)

Do the lift, clean and place rules also apply on punts? :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
11-30-07, 11:21 AM
There isn't much they can really do at this point. It took the Patriots 10 or 11 days to replace their field with Field Turf, and that was with no rain and working 24/7. It was also probably organized on a little more notice as well.

Well, they installed a new field <48 hours before the last game, so a week should provide enough to do that again (not that I'm advocating doing that). I'm amazed @ the lack of comment by the NFL on this. The league that fines players for wearing unauthorized equipment, etc. doesn't admonish the Steelers/Pittsburgh for the condition of the field for a prime time game? Lunacy.

-Kevin

Insomniac
11-30-07, 04:44 PM
Well, they installed a new field <48 hours before the last game, so a week should provide enough to do that again (not that I'm advocating doing that). I'm amazed @ the lack of comment by the NFL on this. The league that fines players for wearing unauthorized equipment, etc. doesn't admonish the Steelers/Pittsburgh for the condition of the field for a prime time game? Lunacy.

-Kevin

They laid new sod over the old sod. I don't know if they want to lay a 3rd layer down. I'm not even sure what the wisdom in laying the second layer down was. I don't know how they expect it to take root so quickly. There's just not enough sun in the winter to allow for that amount of abuse on a grass field. The Rooneys are going to have to suck it up and install FieldTurf. They could possibly do it after Week 15 in time for the play-offs. I don't think they will though. They only have 1 home game after Cincy (Week 15) and most likely 1 play-off home game 3 to 4 weeks after that. Sucks for Cincy though.

Insomniac
11-30-07, 04:46 PM
There's an article in last week's SI about Vick. The premise of the article (and I've just skimmed it) is that Vick felt loyalty to his hometown friends, and could not break away from them. Then again, the article also points out that Vick might not have tried hard enough to break away, despite having numerous opportunities to do so. The former mayor of Atlanta (his name escapes me atthe moment) said that he'd approached Vick numerous times about getting involved in the community, joining a church, etc and was always rebuffed, as Vick preferred to hang with the people from his hometown, thereby isolating himself from the Atlanta community.

I heard about that today. My co-worker summarized it as a childhood agreement that if one of them make it, they will bring the rest with them.

nrc
12-02-07, 08:13 PM
Pregame and they're talking about how the field should be better than last week. That's not saying much. They showed Chad on the field testing the footing and it looked pretty miserable.

Also, I see that the Redskins started their defense today with only 10 men on the field in tribute to Sean Taylor. Very classy move to risk actual consequences in the game to pay tribute.

TKGAngel
12-03-07, 09:31 AM
Also, I see that the Redskins started their defense today with only 10 men on the field in tribute to Sean Taylor. Very classy move to risk actual consequences in the game to pay tribute.

In this morning's Snooze, its reported that the assistant coaches came up with the idea and didn't tell Gibbs until right before kickoff. Their thought was that if they told him about it any earlier, he would start worrying about it.

It was an emotional game for both sides, with a wacky ending to boot.

dando
12-03-07, 10:57 AM
Pregame and they're talking about how the field should be better than last week. That's not saying much. They showed Chad on the field testing the footing and it looked pretty miserable.

Did CJ actually play last night? :saywhat:

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-03-07, 01:39 PM
In this morning's Snooze, its reported that the assistant coaches came up with the idea and didn't tell Gibbs until right before kickoff. Their thought was that if they told him about it any earlier, he would start worrying about it.

It was an emotional game for both sides, with a wacky ending to boot.

They should've told him and let the media know. Buffalo may've played only 10 guys or run to the strong side at least.

Insomniac
12-03-07, 01:40 PM
Did CJ actually play last night? :saywhat:

-Kevin

You missed him run a 14-yard out on 4th and 18 and step out of bounds? :D

nrc
12-09-07, 05:52 PM
Pet Peeve:
Lions just lost to the Cowboys because instead of just falling on a fumble to end the game the Lions tried to pick it up and run with it. :shakehead

dando
12-09-07, 10:48 PM
Pet Peeve:
Lions just lost to the Cowboys because instead of just falling on a fumble to end the game the Lions tried to pick it up and run with it. :shakehead

ESPN Radio guy called that the Youtube generation of NFL players....wanting to be on the highlights rather than win for the team. Spot on. :\

-Kevin

devilmaster
12-09-07, 11:01 PM
Pet Peeve:
Lions. :shakehead

Fixed for ya. :D

Spicoli
12-09-07, 11:34 PM
Bet paffTard is hating Indy right now. :D

Insomniac
12-10-07, 11:45 AM
Pet Peeve:

And the legend of Romo grows.

Will it be even remotely bearable to watch the Super Bowl if the Cowboys are in it and you're not a Cowboys fan?

dando
12-10-07, 12:08 PM

Will it be even remotely bearable to watch the Super Bowl if the Cowboys are in it and you're not a Cowboys fan?

I can't even fathom Pats vs. 'boyz in the SB. :irked: No way I could pull for either team. :\

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-10-07, 12:29 PM

Has it ever?

Though these Boys are not as readily hatable as the 90s teams with Irvin, Deion, Emmett, Jimmy Johnson and Switzer

Andrew Longman
12-10-07, 12:32 PM
I can't even fathom Pats vs. 'boyz in the SB. :irked: No way I could pull for either team. :\

-Kevin

At least it would be a classic match up. While there have been several good Super Bowls lately, few pitted truly great teams against each other

Hate Pats as you like. But they are really, really good, play the game as it should be, and are coached really well.

The Boys not nearly so much, but they are 11-1

Insomniac
12-10-07, 01:19 PM
I was really talking about it being on FOX and Buck/Aikman being the announcers.

Andrew Longman
12-10-07, 02:00 PM
I was really talking about it being on FOX and Buck/Aikman being the announcers.

Its on Fox this year? AAAAAAARGHH!

For whatever reason every Giants game has either Buck/Aikman or "Dick-Moose and Goose" as the announcers. Aikman and Johnson are such smug Giant haters it drives me nuts (as does Joe Morgan doing Yankees games)

But even when they are not disin' the Giants organization they are so opinionated about everything on the field (and proven wrong much of the time)

Yesterday I noticed such a bright contrast when I turned from the Giants to the Jets game and from Moose and Goose to Dick Enberg. He just says what happens and does it with enthusiasm and as if he just happy to be there. No pisssing and moaning about some idiotic performance on the field.

But the best play by play guys in my mind were Summerall and Crique

dando
12-10-07, 02:20 PM

Last I checked, there was a mute button on my remote. :)

-Kevin

dando
12-10-07, 02:28 PM

Criqui and Trumpy were awesome in the 80s. He was still pretty good when he was teamed with Steve Tasker. Michaels is bearable. Endberg was decent in his prime 25 years ago. Gumbel and Simms are pathetic as well.

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-10-07, 03:19 PM
Its on Fox this year? AAAAAAARGHH!

For whatever reason every Giants game has either Buck/Aikman or "Dick-Moose and Goose" as the announcers. Aikman and Johnson are such smug Giant haters it drives me nuts (as does Joe Morgan doing Yankees games)

But even when they are not disin' the Giants organization they are so opinionated about everything on the field (and proven wrong much of the time)

Yesterday I noticed such a bright contrast when I turned from the Giants to the Jets game and from Moose and Goose to Dick Enberg. He just says what happens and does it with enthusiasm and as if he just happy to be there. No pisssing and moaning about some idiotic performance on the field.

Yup, on FOX.

I'd like to see Ron Jaworski and any play-by-play guy who does play-by-play instead of opinions. Marv Albert? Summerall is good too.

The booth has really suffered over the years.

Insomniac
12-10-07, 03:20 PM
Last I checked, there was a mute button on my remote. :)

-Kevin

Is the commentary on it's own (center channel) audio channel? I'd like the broadcast sound and radio commentary.

Insomniac
12-10-07, 03:22 PM
Criqui and Trumpy were awesome in the 80s. He was still pretty good when he was teamed with Steve Tasker. Michaels is bearable. Endberg was decent in his prime 25 years ago. Gumbel and Simms are pathetic as well.

-Kevin

Gumbel and Simms haven't been together for a couple years. Now it's Jim Nantz and Phil Simms. I can't understand how the NFL Network kept Bryant Gumbel.

Andrew Longman
12-10-07, 03:34 PM
Is the commentary on it's own (center channel) audio channel? I'd like the broadcast sound and radio commentary.

Don't know. But I've tried to have the radio commentary on with the TV but they use different delays (TV is several seconds longers, at least compared to Giants radio) so the radio tells your ears everything that happens just before it happens for your eyes. Screws up the experience.

Andrew Longman
12-10-07, 03:36 PM
I can't understand how the NFL Network kept Bryant Gumbel.

I will not watch NFL Network games because of Gumbel. At least not with the sound on. I've tried. I've really tried but he just makes it too painful.

racermike
12-10-07, 03:47 PM
I will not watch NFL Network games because of Gumbel. At least not with the sound on. I've tried. I've really tried but he just makes it too painful.

Actually thats NOT Bryant, Bryant makes things sound interesting.

Its his younger brother Greg

dando
12-10-07, 03:55 PM

The majority of that signal comes out of the center channel (so that it appears to come from the screen), but there is some bleed over into the L/R channels. So turn those three down and jack up the surround channels. :)

-Kevin

dando
12-10-07, 03:58 PM
Gumbel and Simms haven't been together for a couple years. Now it's Jim Nantz and Phil Simms. I can't understand how the NFL Network kept Bryant Gumbel.

Shows how much NFL I get to watch. :( Nantz is OK, bit Simms is a bozo.

-Kevin

dando
12-10-07, 04:01 PM

Its his younger brother Greg

Nope. It's Bryant.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/onairtalent

Gregg is doing games on CBS with Dierdorf. Another pathetic combination, IMHO.

-Kevin

racermike
12-10-07, 04:03 PM
IF the playoffs started today

NFC
Wild-card round, Jan. 5-6
No. 5 Giants (9-4) at No. 4 Buccaneers (8-5, NFC South leaders)
No. 6 Vikings (7-6) at No. 3 Seahawks (9-4, NFC West leaders)

Second round, Jan. 12-13
Lower-ranked team at No. 1 Cowboys (12-1, NFC East leaders)
Higher-ranked team at No. 2 Packers (11-2, NFC North leaders)

Explaining the seedings: Giants seeded behind Tampa Bay because they're not a division champion.

* Teams on outside looking in - Redskins (6-7), Arizona (6-7), Lions (6-7), Saints (5-7), Panthers (5-8), Eagles (5-8), Bears (5-8), Falcons (3-9)
* Eliminated from playoffs - 49er's (3-9), Rams (3-10)

AFC
Wild-card round, Jan. 5-6
No. 5 Jaguars (9-4) at No. 4 Chargers (8-5, AFC West leaders)
No. 6 Browns (8-5) at No. 3 Steelers (9-4, AFC North leaders)

Second round, Jan. 12-13
Lower-ranked team at No. 1 Patriots (13-0, AFC East leaders)
Higher-ranked team at No. 2 Colts (11-2, AFC South leaders)

Explaining the seedings: Jacksonville seeded behind San Diego because it's not a division champ.

* Teams on outside looking in - Bills (7-6), Titans (7-6), Broncos (6-7), Texans (6-7), Bengals (5-8)
* Eliminated from Playoffs - Chiefs (4-9), Raiders (4-9), Ravens (4-9), Jets (3-10), Dolphins (0-13)

Andrew Longman
12-10-07, 04:08 PM

Interesting?

How about wrong? A lot.

Someone please tell him that when you punt on fourth down its not called "turning it over on downs".

dando
12-10-07, 04:10 PM
No. 6 Vikings (7-6) at No. 3 Seahawks (9-4, NFC West leaders)

I wouldn't be wanting to play the Vikes if I were in your shoes.

Browns-Steelers...2002 redux. :laugh:

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-10-07, 04:34 PM
Don't know. But I've tried to have the radio commentary on with the TV but they use different delays (TV is several seconds longers, at least compared to Giants radio) so the radio tells your ears everything that happens just before it happens for your eyes. Screws up the experience.

I'd have to delay the radio with a PC and adjust the DVR to match up.

Insomniac
12-10-07, 04:37 PM

He does not have a play-by-play voice. He is great on Real Sports, but has no business doing play-by-play.

Insomniac
12-10-07, 04:38 PM
The majority of that signal comes out of the center channel (so that it appears to come from the screen), but there is some bleed over into the L/R channels. So turn those three down and jack up the surround channels. :)

-Kevin

So much work. Why can't FOX get a real #1 crew?

Insomniac
12-10-07, 04:40 PM
Interesting?

How about wrong? A lot.

Someone please tell him that when you punt on fourth down its not called "turning it over on downs".

Or there are 4 quarters, not periods. You would think the NFL Network would have a requirement that you are familiar with football terminology.

Andrew Longman
12-10-07, 04:53 PM
Or there are 4 quarters, not periods. You would think the NFL Network would have a requirement that you are familiar with football terminology.

My sense is he is so full of himself that either a) everyone is afraid to tell him b) he's so hated no one tells him just so he can continue to make an ass of himself or c) he's been told but he thinks his way is better; puts the Bryant brand on it.

Don Quixote
12-10-07, 05:34 PM
I would only watch the NFL network broadcast if they teamed up Gumbel with Willard Scott. Now that's entertainment! :laugh:

Andrew Longman
12-10-07, 08:02 PM
Nantz is OK, bit Simms is a bozo.

-Kevin

You know, I just can't let that go. Bozo? Really? Wow.

I know I have my Giant fan biases, but I never saw that.

Just knowing him (if you want to call it that, he doesn't know me :gomer: ) all these years in NY he never developed a big ego, never says anything to needlessly inflame, and does his homework on everything he does.

Whether it was lifting weights with the linemen back in the day or doing his background work for a broadcast, he's put in what it takes to be successful without making himself a "personality" (See Sanders and Irvin and many of the other yahoos in the booth and studio).

Maybe he's a little TOO milktoast for you?

Slight aside, I remember an interview he did with Imus where he said he never was so nervous playing football as he was the first time he did the on-air thing right after he retired. I think it was an in studio ESPN gig and he was a mess before hand, but getting through it and being successful convinced him broadcasting could satisfy his competitive drive. In other words he chose to do broadcasting because it was hard, not because he found it easy. I thought that impressive.

Second slight aside, Bart Oates talks about the night before the 86 Super Bowl, and hearing Phil though the wall in the hotel saying over and over again, "I'm Going to Disney World". He was the first person Disney paid to do that after the game and he was most concerned with screwing that up if they won the game. I think that shows his humility and commitment to preparation. Or maybe he's just a goofball.

Racing Truth
12-11-07, 09:14 PM
1. I wouldn't be wanting to play the Vikes if I were in your shoes.

2. Browns-Steelers...2002 redux. :laugh:

-Kevin

1. Agreed. Pretty good D, great running game, and Jackson is no longer a total embarrassment at QB.

2. Meh, maybe, but I think this '07 Browns is farrrrr more legit than the '02 team. Not saying they WILL win, but I think they've got a pretty good shot.:thumbup:

dando
12-11-07, 10:17 PM
Maybe he's a little TOO milktoast for you?

I figgered bozo would twist either yers or Ank's undies a bit. ;)

Perhaps bozo was a poor choice. Simpleton is more like it. Perhaps that's why you two like him so much. :p :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
12-11-07, 10:20 PM
2. Meh, maybe, but I think this '07 Browns is farrrrr more legit than the '02 team. Not saying they WILL win, but I think they've got a pretty good shot.:thumbup:

Tommy Maddox. :gomer:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-11-07, 10:24 PM
Simpleton is more like it. -Kevin

Yeah, but he's our Simpleton. And he's never shamed us. :gomer:

Ankf00
12-12-07, 12:02 AM
I figgered bozo would twist either yers or Ank's undies a bit. ;)
-Kevin

I didn't hear, I was too busy burning couchese to fit into my new town :gomer:

Stu
12-12-07, 05:46 AM

This Browns team is winning because of an incredibly easy schedule. That 2002 Browns team won a bunch of last second games.

Either way, out of the playoffs in the first round is likely, especially against Pittsburgh.

Insomniac
12-12-07, 10:27 AM
This Browns team is winning because of an incredibly easy schedule. That 2002 Browns team won a bunch of last second games.

Either way, out of the playoffs in the first round is likely, especially against Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh and Cleveland have nearly identical strengths of schedules. The difference being the 2 wins Pittsburgh has over Cleveland.

Cleveland has lost to PIT (2x), ARI, NE and OAK. Pittsburgh has lost to ARI, DEN, NYJ and NE. That doesn't really say much about Pittsburgh either. I'd personally give Cleveland a chance against Pittsburgh. They can score and play the same defense as the Patriots and Jets.

dando
12-12-07, 12:04 PM
Pittsburgh and Cleveland have nearly identical strengths of schedules. The difference being the 2 wins Pittsburgh has over Cleveland.

Cleveland has lost to PIT (2x), ARI, NE and OAK. Pittsburgh has lost to ARI, DEN, NYJ and NE. That doesn't really say much about Pittsburgh either. I'd personally give Cleveland a chance against Pittsburgh. They can score and play the same defense as the Patriots and Jets.

Here's the big difference b/w Cleveland and Pittsburgh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=team&sort=ypg&pos=def&league=afc&year=2007&season=2

Pittsburgh has a couple of bad losses. They had no business losing to NYJ, Denver, or the Cards. All were road losses as well. If Pitt plays the Brownies @ home, advantage Pitt. We'll see after this weekend when the Brownies host Buffalo and Steelers host Jax. I think the Brownies have another loss in them this weekend or next...maybe both.

-Kevin