PDA

View Full Version : Refund$$$$$$

Pages : 1 [2]

cameraman
02-15-08, 02:13 PM
Doesn't matter to me since I don't qualify for one.

Are you sure?

Dividends, interest and capital gains income is not included when determining qualifying income. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) does not count as qualifying income for the stimulus payment. Also not included in qualifying income are non-veterans or non-Social Security pension income (such as those from Individual Retirement Accounts).

dando
02-15-08, 02:16 PM
Are you sure?

NQSO excercises are treated as income, so I'm horked. I had to excercise expiring options last year. Glad I did it then with the stock in the $21 range, while it's now in the $15-$16 range. :eek: Options expired this month, and I left a boatload of them on the table well underwater. :(

-Kevin

Stu
02-15-08, 02:27 PM
That isn't really true though. That $57T is the debt for time = infinity. It is not the current debt. That is why they say we need fo "fix" programs like social security and medicare before they become insolvent.

Only the government wouldn't consider those payments a problem.

Consider it like property taxes for a home owner. You know you are going to have to make the payment, but if you dont have the money now, and if you dont have the money coming in, then you arent going to be able to pay for it.

Until those programs are actually fixed, its a 57 trillion dollar problem that we American's cannot afford. Call it debt, call it whatever you want, its money we dont have to pay for programs that people are expecting.

57 trillion dollars for Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. It boggles my mind that anyone would want this same government to cover ALL Americans.

Insomniac
02-15-08, 02:49 PM
Are you sure?

I read that a different way. You need to have wage income to qualify, but the other income is counted as part of the limit. So, if your AGI is $50k, and it is all from capital gains, you have $0 as qualifying income and get nothing. If you made $53k and $3k was wage income, you'd likely get the full $600 (if your tax liability is >= $600). If you made $100k and only $15k was wage income, you would be disqualified because your AGI is too high.

I should note that I don't know exactly what you were saying to dando. When I initially read your quote I thought it meant that the IRS would not include that type of income when determining how much you earned. So if you made near the limit, but were pushed over by interest on a bank account, you'd still get the rebate check.

Insomniac
02-15-08, 02:58 PM
Only the government wouldn't consider those payments a problem.

Consider it like property taxes for a home owner. You know you are going to have to make the payment, but if you dont have the money now, and if you dont have the money coming in, then you arent going to be able to pay for it.

Until those programs are actually fixed, its a 57 trillion dollar problem that we American's cannot afford. Call it debt, call it whatever you want, its money we dont have to pay for programs that people are expecting.

57 trillion dollars for Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. It boggles my mind that anyone would want this same government to cover ALL Americans.

They consider it a problem. They are constantly reporting that there will be a problem in the future. It's just the way it is phrased, it makes it seem the programs are in debt right now, but they aren't. That is all based on calculations right now predicting the future. I am certainly glad that they are thinking about the future, but I find it disingenuous to say that they are in debt, or there are current problems. When people say that they are in that much debt, it isn't true. It's a financial forecast only.

cameraman
02-15-08, 03:20 PM
NQSO excercises are treated as income, so I'm horked. I had to excercise expiring options last year. Glad I did it then with the stock in the $21 range, while it's now in the $15-$16 range. :eek: Options expired this month, and I left a boatload of them on the table well underwater.

Yeah but are you sure that you are sure?

The check is an advance refund on your 2008 taxes that is based, at the moment, on your 2007 income. So in 2007 you made too much so you don't get the check this May. But that is only an estimate, so if when you file your 2008 taxes next year and your 2008 income is under the limit you will get the rebate check next spring. So as long as you do not have second pile of options to exercise this year you will actually get the money.

The opposite is not true, if you get the money in May and your 2008 income rises above the limit you do NOT have to pay back any refund you got.

Also any kids born in 2008 will get their $300 next year.

Also as the checks are advance rebates on your 2008 taxes they are not considered 2008 income.

And the taxes you pay next spring will be no different than if this had never happened.

Stu
02-15-08, 04:23 PM
They consider it a problem. They are constantly reporting that there will be a problem in the future. It's just the way it is phrased, it makes it seem the programs are in debt right now, but they aren't. That is all based on calculations right now predicting the future. I am certainly glad that they are thinking about the future, but I find it disingenuous to say that they are in debt, or there are current problems. When people say that they are in that much debt, it isn't true. It's a financial forecast only.

again, call it what you want. its money the feds owe that they dont have and that American's cannot afford.

Stu
02-15-08, 09:30 PM

and just for kicks:

debt (dt)
n.
1. Something owed, such as money, goods, or services.
2. a. An obligation or liability to pay or render something to someone else.
b. The condition of owing: a young family always in debt.

The government is obligated to pay out social security funds to the American people. That fits right in with the definition of debt.

Insomniac
02-16-08, 12:10 AM
again, call it what you want. its money the feds owe that they dont have and that American's cannot afford.

and just for kicks:

debt (dt)
n.
1. Something owed, such as money, goods, or services.
2. a. An obligation or liability to pay or render something to someone else.
b. The condition of owing: a young family always in debt.

The government is obligated to pay out social security funds to the American people. That fits right in with the definition of debt.

It's a financial forecast though. They are forecasting that they will have a $57T shortfall between now and the end of time. This is all fluid. The $9T national debt is not a forecast, but actual money the U.S. Government has borrowed and are obligated to pay back. It is something to be concerned about, but it is not a debt or obligation yet.

Stu
02-16-08, 08:49 AM
:shakehead

what changes might happen to this "financial forecast" that might eliminate or reduce the amount that the government will pay out so that it doesnt turn into your definition of debt? cutting benefits? doesnt seem like washington wants to do that? raising taxes? if they want to raise taxes, why are they shelling out these tax rebates?

so far they have made no changes to their policies, and no matter which of the 3 serious candidates becomes president, none of them are talking about reducing spending.

we are arguing semantics here. the point is that the government has programs in place right now that are going to cripple us financially. no candidate is talking about fixing these programs. if anything, they are talking about expanding them.

Stu
02-16-08, 09:18 AM
for anyone that doesnt care about semantics, and wants to know about the problem, you can watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btCmQJXTyTw

Now yes, this is of Glenn Beck's TV show. A lot of people hate Glenn Beck, so if you don't like him, feel free to ignore what HE says. Walker's interview starts at around 4 minutes.

However, we should all pay attention to his guest, Comptroller General of the United States David Walker. His biography is here: http://www.gao.gov/cghome/dwbiog.html

Insomniac
02-16-08, 11:12 AM
:shakehead

what changes might happen to this "financial forecast" that might eliminate or reduce the amount that the government will pay out so that it doesnt turn into your definition of debt? cutting benefits? doesnt seem like washington wants to do that? raising taxes? if they want to raise taxes, why are they shelling out these tax rebates?

so far they have made no changes to their policies, and no matter which of the 3 serious candidates becomes president, none of them are talking about reducing spending.

we are arguing semantics here. the point is that the government has programs in place right now that are going to cripple us financially. no candidate is talking about fixing these programs. if anything, they are talking about expanding them.

We are not arguing semantics. We are talking about two completely different things. One is the actual debt of the U.S. Government ($9T) and the other is a forecasted shortfall ($57T) from now to the end of time. It is simply not true that is debt.

The social security trust has $2T in it. Do you want to now claim it actually has a negative balance because of the forecasted shortfall? This isn't my definition of debt, it is everyone's definition. No economist is calling it a debt.

The last study I saw forecasted that there would be a $4T shortfall for social security over the next 75 years. I don't know what any candidate and congress will do to account for this. As you said, they aren't likely to reduce benefits (spending), leaving a payroll tax increase or an eventual move away from social security as higher likely options.

Answer this question: If you are not collecting social security benefits, how much does the government owe you in social security benefits?

Insomniac
02-16-08, 11:30 AM
for anyone that doesnt care about semantics, and wants to know about the problem, you can watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btCmQJXTyTw

Now yes, this is of Glenn Beck's TV show. A lot of people hate Glenn Beck, so if you don't like him, feel free to ignore what HE says. Walker's interview starts at around 4 minutes.

However, we should all pay attention to his guest, Comptroller General of the United States David Walker. His biography is here: http://www.gao.gov/cghome/dwbiog.html

"technical debt"
"implicit mortgage"

It does not equal real debt and they are using words to back that up. It's certainly a problem that can and should be addressed, but it's not debt. That number isn't between now and 2040, 2075, 2108, it's from now until Infinity. We can all agree the sooner they address the problem the better, but this idea that every U.S. household's share is $400k isn't even accurate. Unless someone figures out how people can live forever, it's simply not true. It's interesting that there is an actual number though. It implies that at some point the system won't be broken as is. Well, you know, if they can find $57T without borrowing it. :)

All the candidates do talk about driving down healthcare costs. By doing that (if they can), that would reduce the medicare shortfall drastically without doing anything else. The shortfall has had a sharp increase over the last few years because healthcare costs are going up by double-digit percentages year after year.

Stu
02-17-08, 09:30 AM
We are not arguing semantics. We are talking about two completely different things. One is the actual debt of the U.S. Government ($9T) and the other is a forecasted shortfall ($57T) from now to the end of time. It is simply not true that is debt.

Either way, its money the government has promised to people that it does not have. No changes have been made to the system, so unless a bunch of old people get killed off, that money will have to come from somewhere.

The social security trust has $2T in it. Do you want to now claim it actually has a negative balance because of the forecasted shortfall? This isn't my definition of debt, it is everyone's definition. No economist is calling it a debt.

The Social Security Trust is EMPTY. Even our Commander in Chief has come out to admit that:

“A lot of people in America think there is a trust — that we take your money in payroll taxes and then we hold it for you and then when you retire, we give it back to you,” Bush said in a speech at the University of West Virginia at Parkersburg.

“But that’s not the way it works,” Bush said. “There is no trust ‘fund’ — just IOUs that I saw firsthand,” Bush said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7393649

Those IOU's are part of our national debt. There is no real value in the trust fund, because government will not be able to pay them back when the time is needed? If they did have the ability to pay off that debt, they wouldn't be in debt in the first place.

Answer this question: If you are not collecting social security benefits, how much does the government owe you in social security benefits?

None, but that is irrelevant right now. The only candidates that talked about adjusting Social Security benefits were Mitt Romney and Ron Paul. Romney is out and Paul has no chance, so I think the promised money from Social Security is still a valid concern.

Answer me this question. If you are not paying your property taxes, how much do you owe the government in property tax dollars? As long as the government doesnt change anything, you still owe them.

Stu
02-17-08, 09:36 AM
"technical debt"
"implicit mortgage"

It does not equal real debt and they are using words to back that up. It's certainly a problem that can and should be addressed, but it's not debt. That number isn't between now and 2040, 2075, 2108, it's from now until Infinity. We can all agree the sooner they address the problem the better, but this idea that every U.S. household's share is $400k isn't even accurate. Unless someone figures out how people can live forever, it's simply not true. It's interesting that there is an actual number though. It implies that at some point the system won't be broken as is. Well, you know, if they can find $57T without borrowing it. :)

All the candidates do talk about driving down healthcare costs. By doing that (if they can), that would reduce the medicare shortfall drastically without doing anything else. The shortfall has had a sharp increase over the last few years because healthcare costs are going up by double-digit percentages year after year.

I'm not talking about the technicality of the term debt anymore. I don't care. Its money that will be owed that does not exist.

And I think I will trust the head of the GAO's numbers.

As far as driving down healthcare costs, Im not paying close attention to this race anymore because all 3 remaining candidates are exactly the same. Driving down healthcare costs is not a likely occurrence. Everytime government tries to do so, they either fail (republicans with prescription drugs) or we see mass layoffs (clinton with balanced budget act). Neither one improves the quality of care or really reduces costs.

If they want to reduce costs they need to do 1 of 2 things. Go to a government controlled single payer system like Canada or the UK, or get rid of the government intervention in the market and let the free market do its work. No candidate is arguing to do either of those.

Insomniac
02-17-08, 11:17 AM
The Social Security Trust is EMPTY. Even our Commander in Chief has come out to admit that:

“A lot of people in America think there is a trust — that we take your money in payroll taxes and then we hold it for you and then when you retire, we give it back to you,” Bush said in a speech at the University of West Virginia at Parkersburg.

“But that’s not the way it works,” Bush said. “There is no trust ‘fund’ — just IOUs that I saw firsthand,” Bush said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7393649

Those IOU's are part of our national debt. There is no real value in the trust fund, because government will not be able to pay them back when the time is needed? If they did have the ability to pay off that debt, they wouldn't be in debt in the first place.

It is filled with U.S. Government bonds, and would be no matter what. They can't take money and let it just sit there. People are against privatization or investment in the markets. That only leaves bonds or it gets eaten away by inflation. I don't recall the U.S. Government ever defaulting on a loan.

None, but that is irrelevant right now. The only candidates that talked about adjusting Social Security benefits were Mitt Romney and Ron Paul. Romney is out and Paul has no chance, so I think the promised money from Social Security is still a valid concern.

Answer me this question. If you are not paying your property taxes, how much do you owe the government in property tax dollars? As long as the government doesnt change anything, you still owe them.

It's not irrelevant. That $57T includes how much they "owe" you. But you have no idea what, if anything they owe you. Edwards definitely said he would raise the cap on social security contributions.

Social security has been broken since the day FDR singed it into law and medicare has been broken since the day LBJ signed it into law. They both relied on the $ coming in to be greater than or equal to the $ being paid as benefits until the end of time. It was doomed from the beginning and the only way to fix it is get more money, and unless they make a whole lot in the global markets, it has to be through taxes and no one wants to be the one to do that.

If I am not paying my taxes, I obviously owe the government what my tax liability is plus interest. But neither social security or medicare are unable to pay their current bills. The proper analogy is how much do I owe them from now to the end of time. That is $0. I can certainly predict how much it would be and would be wise to take that into account to be sure I can afford it, but I don't owe it yet, and may or may not owe it at all.

Jag_Warrior
02-17-08, 11:26 AM
hookers and whiskey :thumbup:

Just make sure that they're (both) made in the U.S. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of this grand plan/scheme. Ben Bernanke said that. Him bery, bery smart man. I'm sure he supports American made hookers and whiskey.

Where have you gone, Paul Volker? :(

Stu
02-17-08, 11:58 AM
It is filled with U.S. Government bonds, and would be no matter what. They can't take money and let it just sit there. People are against privatization or investment in the markets. That only leaves bonds or it gets eaten away by inflation. I don't recall the U.S. Government ever defaulting on a loan.

I am aware that it is filled with US Treasury Bonds, however that money is useless if they cannot pay it. You are right that they have not defaulted on a loan, yet...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59692

U.S. Treasuries should be downgraded to junk bond status, not given a "triple-A" government rating, economist John Williams says, supporting a warning issued by Moody's last week that the credit rating of the U.S. government may be plunging in the next decade.

The issue surfaced recently when Reuters published a Moody's warning that in the next 10 years, the credit rating of the United States is at risk of being dropped below triple-A.

http://www.europac.net/media/Schiff-FBN-1-10-08_lg.wmv

http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNews/idUSN1017237120080110

NEW YORK, Jan 10 (Reuters) - Moody's Investors Service said on Thursday the United States' "triple-A" government bond rating could come under pressure in the very long-term if the Medicare and Social Security programs are not reformed.

"These two programs are the largest threats to the long-term financial health of the United States and to the government's Aaa rating," Moody's analyst Steven Hess said in the agency's annual report on the United States.

The proper analogy is how much do I owe them from now to the end of time. That is $0. I can certainly predict how much it would be and would be wise to take that into account to be sure I can afford it, but I don't owe it yet, and may or may not owe it at all.

I agree. I already said this, when I said, if the govt doesnt change anything you will still owe them. You can add to that the fact that if you get rid of your house, you also won't owe them. But my point was that something must change. Thats all I am saying, something needs to change and nothing is.

I am not sure why we are even arguing about this. Its stupid. Call it debt, call it projected money owed. Who gives a crap? Its a problem that isn't being fixed. I am glad that you are more confident in our US Government that they can pay back all these loans in the social security trust, but I am not. The worst part is that of these 3 programs, Social Security is the one that is the least in trouble.

This all relates back to the refunds because it shows that the government doesnt know what they are doing. There is a struggling economy going on right now and their answer to the problem is to borrow money and throw it back into the market.

The feds need to cut spending to fix this problem. George W Bush is not only the first President to oversee a 2 Trillion dollar budget, we are now looking at a 3 Trillion dollar budget in 2008. The amount that our spending has increased in the last 8 years is astounding.

Insomniac
02-17-08, 09:23 PM
I am aware that it is filled with US Treasury Bonds, however that money is useless if they cannot pay it. You are right that they have not defaulted on a loan, yet...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59692

http://www.europac.net/media/Schiff-FBN-1-10-08_lg.wmv

http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNews/idUSN1017237120080110

I agree. I already said this, when I said, if the govt doesnt change anything you will still owe them. You can add to that the fact that if you get rid of your house, you also won't owe them. But my point was that something must change. Thats all I am saying, something needs to change and nothing is.

I am not sure why we are even arguing about this. Its stupid. Call it debt, call it projected money owed. Who gives a crap? Its a problem that isn't being fixed. I am glad that you are more confident in our US Government that they can pay back all these loans in the social security trust, but I am not. The worst part is that of these 3 programs, Social Security is the one that is the least in trouble.

This all relates back to the refunds because it shows that the government doesnt know what they are doing. There is a struggling economy going on right now and their answer to the problem is to borrow money and throw it back into the market.

The feds need to cut spending to fix this problem. George W Bush is not only the first President to oversee a 2 Trillion dollar budget, we are now looking at a 3 Trillion dollar budget in 2008. The amount that our spending has increased in the last 8 years is astounding.

I think this all started because you said the U.S. was in tens of millions of dollars of debt. ;) I think we agree about all this stuff. We agree something needs to be done about social security and medicare. We agree that the national debt needs to be paired down. I'm also concerned about the value of the dollar. We are getting killed and have been very fortunate that prices in the U.S. have not gone up with the weakened dollar. We are most certainly heading for a financial catastrophe at the current pace we are on. I'd say we're going to have bigger problems, and sooner, if the dollar keeps on sliding.

Gnam
03-17-08, 05:51 PM
FYI.

Stimulus Payment Schedule
for Tax Returns Received and Processed by April 15

Economic stimulus payments will be issued according to the last two-digits of the main filer's Social Security number. People who use direct deposit also will be among the first to receive the payments starting May 2. Paper checks will be put in the mail starting May 16.

DIRECT DEPOSIT
Last two SSN digits: Payments will be mailed by:
00 - 20 ................... May 2
21 - 75 ................... May 9
76 - 99 ................... May 16

PAPER CHECK
00 - 09 ................... May 16
10 - 18 ................... May 23
19 - 25 ................... May 30
26 - 38 ................... June 6
39 - 51 ................... June 13
52 - 63 ................... June 20
64 - 75 ................... June 27
76 - 87 ................... July 4
88 - 99 ................... July 11

link to gubmint site (http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=177937,00.html)

TravelGal
03-17-08, 07:04 PM
Have been having a debate with some folks so may as well toss it here. My mom is our legal dependent. NOT our child, obviously. Years ago the IRS wrote to her and asked her to stop filing a tax return. :rofl:

We are concerned that if she files one to get the stimulus check, it will "disturb" the fact that she is a dependent and therefore does not file tax returns.

Any thoughts? Besides "See a tax accountant" which we will be doing next week.

cameraman
03-17-08, 10:01 PM
Have been having a debate with some folks so may as well toss it here. My mom is our legal dependent. NOT our child, obviously. Years ago the IRS wrote to her and asked her to stop filing a tax return. :rofl:

We are concerned that if she files one to get the stimulus check, it will "disturb" the fact that she is a dependent and therefore does not file tax returns.

Any thoughts? Besides "See a tax accountant" which we will be doing next week.

It is pretty simple actually. If your Mom is claimed as a dependent on your tax return she not eligible for the check.

TravelGal
03-18-08, 01:08 AM
It is pretty simple actually. If your Mom is claimed as a dependent on your tax return she not eligible for the check.

You are saying what I thought. If she files, she is no longer dependent of mine. Even if she has no income. So her getting her own check would not be worth it.

cameraman
03-18-08, 01:51 AM
If she files, she is no longer dependent of mine.That is not true. Kids file all the time and they are still dependents.

Do you claim your mother as a dependent on your income taxes? That is the deciding factor.
(At least the first deciding factor:rolleyes: )

Stu
03-18-08, 10:37 AM
That is not true. Kids file all the time and they are still dependents.

Do you claim your mother as a dependent on your income taxes? That is the deciding factor.
(At least the first deciding factor:rolleyes: )

right cuz when she does her taxes, somewhere it should ask if someone else can claim her as a dependent.

TravelGal
03-18-08, 04:05 PM
right cuz when she does her taxes, somewhere it should ask if someone else can claim her as a dependent.

Ah, right. Forgot about that.

Yes, we claim her. The law appears to be written that we could get a larger "refund" if we had children as dependents but having a senior as a dependent.

Sean O'Gorman
03-18-08, 04:18 PM
I can use mine on a new couch now. :flame: :mad: :rolleyes:

Ankf00
03-18-08, 04:19 PM
I can use mine on a new couch now. :flame: :mad: :rolleyes:

why now? football season's long since over

cameraman
03-18-08, 04:23 PM
Looks like I'll be using mine as a down payment on a basement floor drain:cry:

Sean O'Gorman
03-18-08, 04:26 PM
why now? football season's long since over

There was a fire in the apartment above mine and the couch took the brunt of the water damage. Better than than the TV though. :)

Insomniac
03-19-08, 08:47 AM
Ah, right. Forgot about that.

Yes, we claim her. The law appears to be written that we could get a larger "refund" if we had children as dependents but having a senior as a dependent.

There is an age limit (17) on the dependents who would qualify for the extra $300. Basically, you get the money if your dependent qualifies for the child tax credit.

TravelGal
03-19-08, 01:00 PM
I thought that. ^^^^ which is why I wondered if we dared have her file on her own to get her own $300. Oh well, she only missed the cutoff by 77 years.

Insomniac
03-19-08, 07:04 PM
I thought that. ^^^^ which is why I wondered if we dared have her file on her own to get her own $300. Oh well, she only missed the cutoff by 77 years.

You would have to also not claim her as a dependent. She'd also have to meet the $3,000 qualifying income for the $300.

BTW--I don't think there is any scenario where her getting $300 would outweigh your benefit of claiming her as a dependent unless you have little to no tax liability.

ChampcarShark
03-21-08, 10:43 AM
When to expect your money

Direct deposit
Last two SSN digits: Payment will be transmitted:
00 through 20 May 2
21 through 75 May 9
76 through 99 May 16

PAPER CHECK

00 through 09 May 16
10 through 18 May 23
19 through 25 May 30
26 through 38 June 6
39 through 51 June 13
52 through 63 June 20
64 through 75 June 27
76 through 87 July 4
88 through 99 July 11

Sean O'Gorman
03-21-08, 10:46 AM
Woo, I made the cutoff for the first deposit. Now I can buy a new couch. :P

Stu
03-21-08, 11:57 AM
just in time for the june mortgage payment.

Ankf00
03-21-08, 12:44 PM
first deposit, holla!

Insomniac
03-21-08, 02:16 PM
Heh, Gnam posted that 4 days ago. ;)

Anyone know how long it takes to process a tax return? I owe and am dragging my feet. I'd like to delay as long as I can. But I want my few bucks. :D

extramundane
03-21-08, 02:34 PM
Heh, Gnam posted that 4 days ago. ;)

Anyone know how long it takes to process a tax return? I owe and am dragging my feet. I'd like to delay as long as I can. But I want my few bucks. :D

No idea on a return where you owe, but mine came through in less than 3 weeks.

Stu
03-21-08, 06:21 PM
im sure the rebate checks are delayed until may because of the 4/15 filing deadline.

i owe too, and they wont get a cent until 4/15.

cameraman
03-21-08, 08:06 PM
Yeah I'll be mailing my return on 4/15. I owe money and there is no way in hell that I am going to pay some company to allow me to efile. If the IRS wants us to file electronically to save them time and money they can bloody well make it free.

Insomniac
03-21-08, 09:26 PM
im sure the rebate checks are delayed until may because of the 4/15 filing deadline.

i owe too, and they wont get a cent until 4/15.

I asked because they said "Stimulus Payment Schedule for Tax Returns Processed by April 15".

I wonder if that means you go to the back of the line if it isn't processed by then.

Insomniac
03-21-08, 09:27 PM
Yeah I'll be mailing my return on 4/15. I owe money and there is no way in hell that I am going to pay some company to allow me to efile. If the IRS wants us to file electronically to save them time and money they can bloody well make it free.

Exactly! It's so dumb that you have to pay to e-file.

TravelGal
03-22-08, 12:38 AM
I asked because they said "Stimulus Payment Schedule for Tax Returns Processed by April 15".

I wonder if that means you go to the back of the line if it isn't processed by then.

You may be right because my mom (whom we all know by now in this thread) mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago that the deadline for getting the returns in to get the first payment was fast approaching. She couldn't remember the details but I had not even heard of it. Not bad for 94. ;)

chop456
04-25-08, 06:47 AM
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The federal government, eager to boost the flagging economy, will start distributing special tax rebates on Monday - five days earlier than expected, the Treasury Department said Thursday.

The department had said last month that it would begin giving rebates on May 2.

I'm buying two ponies now! :thumbup:

dando
04-25-08, 10:36 AM
**** that. I get to pay $2.5K/quarter in AMT. :finger: :flame: :irked:

-Kevin

Stu
04-25-08, 12:00 PM
**** that. I get to pay $2.5K/quarter in AMT. :finger: :flame: :irked:

-Kevin

hey thats what you get for being successful. who do you think you are going out and working hard for your money. you dont deserve to keep what you earn when lazy, er, poor people are suffering.

dando
04-25-08, 12:31 PM
hey thats what you get for being successful. who do you think you are going out and working hard for your money. you dont deserve to keep what you earn when lazy, er, poor people are suffering.

The Feds haven't re-indexed for the AMT since its inception back in the 60s, so it's starting to creep into the middle tax brackets. I make a decent living, but we're far from wealthy. Paying as much taxes as we're paying this year is simply ludicrous. From what I've read, when AMT started a few K tax payers paid the AMT, but it now affects ~3M tax payers. :irked:

-Kevin

G.
04-25-08, 12:48 PM
I'm buying two ponies now! :thumbup:nrc won't allow ponies here. Or sparkles.:flame:

pony hater! (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=229621&postcount=1)

dando
04-25-08, 12:59 PM
nrc won't allow ponies here. Or sparkles.:flame:

pony hater! (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=229621&postcount=1)

nrc: I hate anybody who had a pony growing up.
Manya: I had a pony!
nrc: Well, I didn't mean a pony per se…
Manya: When I was a little girl in Poland, we all had ponies. My sister had pony, my cousin had pony. So, what's wrong with that?
nrc: Nothing. Nothing at all. I was just expressing…
Helen: Should we have coffee? Who's having coffee?
Manya: He was a beautiful pony. And I loved him!
nrc: Well, I'm sure you did. Who wouldn't love a pony? Who wouldn't love a person who had a pony?
Manya: You! You said so!

:D

-Kevin

chop456
04-25-08, 01:06 PM
I'll get my ponies whether he likes it or not. He might not like me talking about it but he can't stop me.

P.S. - Good thing that Wickerbill guy's not in charge anymore or he'd shut down my pony acquisition in a second. He's done it before.

dando
04-25-08, 01:11 PM
I'll get my ponies whether he likes it or not. He might not like me talking about it but he can't stop me.

P.S. - Good thing that Wickerbill guy's not in charge anymore or he'd shut down my pony acquisition in a second. He's done it before.

And he's in a bad mood today (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=229986&postcount=23).

:eek: ;)

-Kevin

nrc
05-09-08, 07:36 PM
Got stimulified this week. Now I just need to find someone to fix or replace our fence.

ChampcarShark
05-13-08, 01:16 PM
Got stimulified this week. Now I just need to find someone to fix or replace our fence.

Try here

http://highedge.vo.llnwd.net/d1/3_prod/d1/Picture/09/68/20_91399088.jpg

trish
11-14-08, 02:03 PM
Have fun with your refund$$$$$$$$. I didn't make enough (I started my first paid job in late August and was about $600 short) so I won't be getting anything.

That might not be true. (http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/article/106140/Taxpayers-Get-Second-Chance-at-Stimulus)