PDA

View Full Version : Saturday is Beerday

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Ankf00
11-10-08, 09:51 PM
How hypocritical of Time Warner. They fight BTN and NFL Net claiming consumer protection from raising rates due to the proliferation of these nets, and now they are a party to creating one for a single U. :saywhat: :mad: IMO, this is simply ludicrous. :irked:

-Kevin

UT's not asking for the outrageous subscriber fees BTN demanded, nor are they demanding to be on standard cable.

dando
11-10-08, 10:08 PM
If OU wins out (OSU @ Stillwater), it's a 3 way tie, 5th tiebreaker being BCS rankings, 50/50 between us and them. They'll have the bounce from the voters w/ the Tech win, we'll have the computers b/c of our W's, our OOC opponents' records, and the fact we didnt play a 1-9 1-AA team. We're above them now so it depends on how much of a bump they get out of the Tech & OSU wins and if we can ****stomp KU and aggy.

If OU wins then loses to OSU, Tech wins head to head tiebreaker and we need Mizzou to beat them in KC. Same if Tech wins out, need the Mizzou win.

IOW, BC$ Jr. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
11-11-08, 12:33 PM
Maybe I am being naive, but Tech looks unbeatable right now. They may just run the table into the big show.

dando
11-11-08, 12:46 PM
Maybe I am being naive, but Tech looks unbeatable right now. They may just run the table into the big show.

We'll see when they go on the road in 2 weeks. The Game @ noon, PSU/MSU @ 3:30, Utard/BYU @ 6, and Tech/Okie @ 8. I'm gonna OD on foosball! :cool: :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
11-11-08, 12:54 PM
UT's not asking for the outrageous subscriber fees BTN demanded, nor are they demanding to be on standard cable.

Well, duh. They wouldn't have any leverage to do that. BTN had the leverage of five of the top ten schools for enrollment in the country (OSU, MN, MSU, PSU and Wisky). Clearly FJD and Fox miscalculated their advantage. :thumdown:

-Kevin

dando
11-12-08, 03:28 PM
Get ready for cable and DBS bills to go up again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3697923

SportsBusiness Daily reported that in bidding, Disney is offering about $125 million annually to air the games, while Fox is offering about $100 million annually. According to USA Today, several people with knowledge of the negotiations confirmed those figures.

ESPN did not immediately comment on the reports.

Fox currently pays about $82.5 million annually to air four of the five BCS games -- the Sugar, Orange and Fiesta bowls and the BCS National Championship Game. ABC, also an affiliate of Disney, currently has a separate deal to air the Rose Bowl.

:saywhat: :mad:

I wonder what Walt would think of the monster DI$ has become. :irked:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
11-13-08, 01:30 PM
Did anyone catch the Northern Illinois - Western Michigan game last night? It's another example of how great college football is. Northern (wife's alma mater) was down by a count of 30-6 with minutes remaining in the third quarter. They score, gather up an onside kick, score again, get another onside kick, and before you know it they kick a tying field goal with less than a minute remaining to send it to OT. Western intercepts and wins in OT. The weather was bad, and the fog in DeKalb was so thick they could only use the sideline camera's down at the field level. Fun stuff! :) :thumbup:

Don Quixote
11-13-08, 01:34 PM
UT's not asking for the outrageous subscriber fees BTN demanded, nor are they demanding to be on standard cable. The problem with this is that the alums that live around the country will be screwed. As it now stands they can catch most of the games on the networks or on cable. Folks out of the big 12 region will wind up having to go to sports bars to see the games, not that that is a bad thing. Maybe if they stream the games on the internet for a reasonable cost that would be fixed. :\

dando
11-13-08, 03:03 PM
The problem with this is that the alums that live around the country will be screwed. As it now stands they can catch most of the games on the networks or on cable. Folks out of the big 12 region will wind up having to go to sports bars to see the games, not that that is a bad thing. Maybe if they stream the games on the internet for a reasonable cost that would be fixed. :\

Or as in your case, you end up paying $5/mo. (or more as more channels are added) for a sports tier that you'll use a few times/mo. For example, BTN is free on TWC in NC, but not for my 'rents in SC. This is a VERY slippery slope, IMO. :irked:

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-14-08, 02:11 AM
The problem with this is that the alums that live around the country will be screwed. As it now stands they can catch most of the games on the networks or on cable. Folks out of the big 12 region will wind up having to go to sports bars to see the games, not that that is a bad thing. Maybe if they stream the games on the internet for a reasonable cost that would be fixed. :\

abc, espn, fsn still get to pick their weekly games according to the B12 contract, just that the non-selected games (such as our season opener vs. FAU) will go on this network instead of PPV or local syndication since the new media contract allows schools greater rights for those non-selected games. it'll mostly air baseball, basketball, etc.

Don Quixote
11-14-08, 06:09 PM
The BTN example is likely to repeat for you UT folks. When it comes to the lesser games, especially the non-conference games, they used to be shown on regional coverage on ESPN or the Duece, and if you couldn't get them because you lived out of the region you could watch it on the gameplan package or a single pay per view. But at least you could get the game. Then along came the BTN and most of the cable systems weren't interested in covering midwest football outside of the 8 big ten states. So all the big ten alums living around the country were screwed. I can get it on Comcast now, a year later, but are you sure the cable companies will pick up a one school network throughout the whole country?

dando
11-15-08, 07:28 PM
The Game week begins, and UM still sucks (even more than ever)!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=283200130

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan sank to an all-time low on a day as miserable as its season.

C.J. Bacher threw touchdown passes on his first two drives of the second half to lift Northwestern to a 21-14 win Saturday over the Wolverines, handing them eight losses overall and five at home for the first time in the storied program's 129-year history.

:gomer:

We don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan....

http://8.media.collegehumor.com/collegehumor/ch6/a/7/collegehumor.1d44a64a096c7f620d17b457b0def384.jpg

:rofl:

DuCbvmHBL-k

pinXtYnC3BE

ySjEPL_csU4

Muck Fichigan! :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
11-16-08, 12:11 PM
Beanie.

1opisGofQiY

Pryor.

r2DEOhKLTxU

Rich Rod.

http://ymswwc.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/rod20.jpg

:gomer: :D

-Kevin

Insomniac
11-17-08, 01:42 PM
E-Mail Going Around Now

ANTHRAX SCARE AT MICHIGAN

Michigan football practice was delayed nearly two hours this morning after a player reportedly found an unknown white powdery substance on the practice field.

Head coach Rich Rodriguez immediately suspended practice while police and federal agents were called to investigate. After a complete analysis, FBI forensic experts determined that the white substance, unknown to the players, was the goal line.

Practice was resumed this afternoon after special agents decided the team was unlikely to encounter the substance again.

Andrew Longman
11-17-08, 02:41 PM
E-Mail Going Around Now

OK so that's funny.

I wonder how long the Rod experiment will last at UoM. He needs a chance to recruit players who fit the spread offense, but this team defensively and otherwise is so un-Bo, so un-tough. so un-Michigan.

dando
11-17-08, 02:51 PM
this team defensively and otherwise is so un-Bo, so un-tough. so un-Michigan.

Suffice that to read UM sux. ;) Rich Rod's longevity depends on Bill Martin's length of tenure, which shouldn't be long, IMO. Martin is as big of a disgrace as FJD, IMO.

-Kevin

Insomniac
11-17-08, 03:41 PM
OK so that's funny.

I wonder how long the Rod experiment will last at UoM. He needs a chance to recruit players who fit the spread offense, but this team defensively and otherwise is so un-Bo, so un-tough. so un-Michigan.

I haven't been paying attention, but does he have a QB?

dando
11-17-08, 04:20 PM
I haven't been paying attention, but does he have a QB?

He has some recruits for next season, including a QB, but nothing like a T. Pryor.

-Kevin

Don Quixote
11-17-08, 05:44 PM
E-Mail Going Around Now

made my day. :laugh:

Insomniac
11-18-08, 09:34 AM
made my day. :laugh:

You can imagine its popularity among WVU employees, alumni and students. :)

Ankf00
11-18-08, 02:42 PM
old email, still funny

Andrew Longman
11-18-08, 04:47 PM
I just heard a long Mike Franseca interview with Alan Rosenberg who authored The War as They Knew It about Bo and Woody and the rivalry set in the context of the Vietnam/Watergate/60s/70s social turmoil

Impressive interview and I learned a lot about Woody that I hadn't appreciated.

Sounds really great http://www.amazon.com/War-As-They-Knew-Schembechler/dp/0446580139

Andrew Longman
11-18-08, 05:01 PM
I just heard a long Mike Francesa interview with Alan Rosenberg who authored The War as They Knew It about Bo and Woody and the rivalry set in the context of the Vietnam/Watergate/60s/70s social turmoil

Impressive interview and I learned a lot about Woody that I hadn't appreciated.

Sounds really great http://www.amazon.com/War-As-They-Knew-Schembechler/dp/0446580139

Don Quixote
11-18-08, 05:12 PM
I have a couple of pretty good Woody stories. When I was taking my sophmore surveying class we were out on the campus taking some shots on a mapping project. Woody walks by and asks us if he could take a look. He stands behind the transit and starts reading off shots, giving hand signals to the rod man, and chatting with us about everything in the world except football. He manned the instrument for about 15 minutes and then shook hands with us and went his way. When we were packing up and walking back to the classroom our professor said "I saw that coach Hayes was helping you." We said "yeah, he really knew what he was doing". The prof says, "yeah, coach Hayes loves to survey." :)

Andrew Longman
11-18-08, 05:42 PM
Don, I never realized that he saw himself as a history teacher first and foremost. He apparently once toured a presidential library and partway through dismissed the tour guide and took it over himself because the guide was getting all wrong.

Reminds me some of my daughter's 8th grade history teacher who I've found has his own version of history and feels eager to share it, but apparently he knew his stuff and was compelled to teach others.

Bo, wasn't disinterested in history, but felt his job first and most was to make great men through football.

Don Quixote
11-18-08, 06:07 PM
Absolutely. He went back to teaching history after he was fired. I'm not sure how long that lasted because I graduated in 1979. His classes were very popular.

Ankf00
11-18-08, 06:08 PM
Muschamp to become our HC after Mack, .9M/yr as DC.

damn.

while I'm not crazy about losing him to a vacant job and would prefer more than 2 yrs of stability at a time at DC, it's not like we're hard up for recruiting DCs or HCs

dando
11-18-08, 06:23 PM
Muschamp to become our HC after Mack, .9M/yr as DC.

damn.

while I'm not crazy about losing him to a vacant job and would prefer more than 2 yrs of stability at a time at DC, it's not like we're hard up for recruiting DCs or HCs

Damn. Mack's only 57. Someone must know something. Otherwise Muschamp risks waiting in the wings for ~30 years. :gomer:

-Kevin

Gnam
11-18-08, 06:25 PM
Absolutely. He went back to teaching history after he was fired. I'm not sure how long that lasted because I graduated in 1979. His classes were very popular.
8bfgrj_62-Y

dando
11-18-08, 06:28 PM

I don't think it was much longer. He declined pretty quickly until he died in '86. He addressed my honorarium in the fall of '84 and he was noticeably diminished by then. :(

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-18-08, 06:33 PM
Damn. Mack's only 57. Someone must know something. Otherwise Muschamp risks waiting in the wings for ~30 years. :gomer:

-Kevin

prior to this season mack was going to stick around for 5 max, more likely 2-4 to see the current class through. still, no need to take unproven DC, as badass as Boom MF'er is... could be worse, could be stuck with Rod or Zook :gomer:

Don Quixote
11-19-08, 04:50 PM
Brutal and well deserved column about Rich Rod:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=granderson/081119&sportCat=ncf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1

dando
11-19-08, 05:00 PM
prior to this season mack was going to stick around for 5 max, more likely 2-4 to see the current class through. still, no need to take unproven DC, as badass as Boom MF'er is... could be worse, could be stuck with Rod or Zook :gomer:

The Herd said today that Mack's contract runs for another eight years. :saywhat: :confused:

-Kevin

dando
11-19-08, 05:01 PM
Brutal and well deserved column about Rich Rod:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=granderson/081119&sportCat=ncf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1

It's open season on Rich Rod in the state up north. :thumbup: What a dickhead. :thumdown:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
11-19-08, 06:05 PM
It's open season on Rich Rod in the state up north. :thumbup: What a dickhead. :thumdown:

-Kevin I must confess that I have been less than sensitive to my Michigan bretheren this week. Perhaps I have crossed the line. If the Buckeyes screw up this weekend I will have to move.

dando
11-19-08, 06:22 PM
I must confess that I have been less than sensitive to my Michigan bretheren this week. Perhaps I have crossed the line. If the Buckeyes screw up this weekend I will have to move.

Dude, I have a few of the Morons in my clan. The get no quarter from me...I'm making up for the 2-10-1 Cooper years. :D

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-19-08, 07:36 PM
The Herd said today that Mack's contract runs for another eight years. :saywhat: :confused:

-Kevin

it does, but he stays at least till colt's done, and at most through the current class. this was from ath dept convos regarding his succession and plans prior to this season. if he bags another MNC he's definitely done.

Ankf00
11-19-08, 07:37 PM
I must confess that I have been less than sensitive to my Michigan bretheren this week. Perhaps I have crossed the line. If the Buckeyes screw up this weekend I will have to move.

they won't find you in the san juans this time of year :D

Andrew Longman
11-19-08, 07:37 PM
Dude, I have a few of the Morons in my clan. The get no quarter from me...I'm making up for the 2-10-1 Cooper years. :D

-Kevin

During the Alan Rosenberg interview yesterday he mentioned something that I always kinda sensed but didn't get full bore. He said hating UoM is a bit bigger deal in Columbus than hating tOSU in Ann Arbor. UoM has other things of importance going for it. ;)

The Rich Rod thing is proving a disaster. Either they need to let him implement the spread or let him go now. The whole hire seems to have been poorly thought through and supported. Sorta like Cooper at tOSU.

Schiano would have been a much better fit but I'm glad he stayed put.

Insomniac
11-20-08, 10:22 AM
I don't feel bad for Michigan or Rich Rod. Karma. :D

dando
11-20-08, 10:57 AM
During the Alan Rosenberg interview yesterday he mentioned something that I always kinda sensed but didn't get full bore. He said hating UoM is a bit bigger deal in Columbus than hating tOSU in Ann Arbor. UoM has other things of importance going for it. ;)

The Rich Rod thing is proving a disaster. Either they need to let him implement the spread or let him go now. The whole hire seems to have been poorly thought through and supported. Sorta like Cooper at tOSU.

Schiano would have been a much better fit but I'm glad he stayed put.

I've heard differing views on that, and believe it or not I do have friends that went to the UoM. UM has a stronger in state rival than OSU, so MSU is a bigger rival for some (according to Gary Moeller). I think the rivalry has ebbed and flowed over the years, especially since OSU went 2-10-1 under Cooper and UM has gone 1-6 against the Vest. Obviously the 10 year war was the peak of the rivalry. I remember when the Freep and Dispatch ran ads in the other paper for their respective schools. This year there is no buzz whatsoever.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Schiano once Joe Pa retires.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
11-20-08, 11:45 AM
dando, I lived in MI and have several relatives who went there. In state, the MSU/UofM rivalry may be bigger in terms of schools, but not necessarily football teams. MSU is more the blue collar school and UofM gets the label as the more preppy school. Or as it was explained to me, if your dad is in the UAW you go to State. If your dad is in management, you go to UofM. Naturally, State and UofM alum like each other about as much as labor and management.

But the biggest game of the year is tOSU without doubt. It is the only game that matters. But back when it almost always determined who won the Big Ten and who would go to the Rose Bowl (the only bowl game that mattered), it was certainly a bigger deal. I think all the rivalries have diminished when anybody can get to a bowl game and your ranking has become more important to fans than your conference.

As it is, I will miss my first tOSU/UofM game since I think 1968 as I will be backpacking with Girl Scouts in a windy 24 degree woods this weekend. Joy.

Ankf00
11-20-08, 01:47 PM
the Rose Bowl (the only bowl game that mattered),

Bobby Layne and Sammy Baugh say "Hi, from Doak's House." :)

My understanding is as such:
MSU == aggy, pesky and annoying redheaded step brother with a national title waaaaay back when but traditionally not national, the blue collar (farmer) school. tOSU == OU North, border rivalry of national importance decade after decade, and who will go to a game vs. Wisky or Iowa with "Muck Fichigan/Tuck Fexas" t-shirts and other cheesy rivalry stuff that has no bearing on the game actually being played in front of them.

:D

Don Quixote
11-20-08, 05:04 PM
Big news: Michigan may not be able to travel to Columbus on Saturday. It turns out that this year they haven't been able to get past Toledo. [rimshot] :)

dando
11-20-08, 05:19 PM
So I just heard that Rich Rod suspended a WR (Zion Babb) has been kicked off the team and DT (Jason Kates) quit the team. This on The Game week? What a mess it is up north. :laugh:

-Kevin

dando
11-20-08, 05:26 PM
Big news: Michigan may not be able to travel to Columbus on Saturday. It turns out that this year they haven't been able to get past Toledo. [rimshot] :)

Or...they can't figger out how to cross the state line. :D

-Kevin

dando
11-20-08, 05:36 PM
dando, I lived in MI and have several relatives who went there. In state, the MSU/UofM rivalry may be bigger in terms of schools, but not necessarily football teams. MSU is more the blue collar school and UofM gets the label as the more preppy school. Or as it was explained to me, if your dad is in the UAW you go to State. If your dad is in management, you go to UofM. Naturally, State and UofM alum like each other about as much as labor and management.

But the biggest game of the year is tOSU without doubt. It is the only game that matters. But back when it almost always determined who won the Big Ten and who would go to the Rose Bowl (the only bowl game that mattered), it was certainly a bigger deal. I think all the rivalries have diminished when anybody can get to a bowl game and your ranking has become more important to fans than your conference.

As it is, I will miss my first tOSU/UofM game since I think 1968 as I will be backpacking with Girl Scouts in a windy 24 degree woods this weekend. Joy.

I hear what you're saying, which made Moeller's comments about MSU being a bigger rival than OSU even more puzzling. Perhaps he was just bored kicking Cooper's arse, and MSU was pretty solid in the late-80s and early to mid-90s.

The last time UM didn't go to a bowl was back in '74 when they were 10-1 with their only loss was to OSU. Back then the Big Ten did not allow teams to go to another bowl. That may have been the tipping point to change the rule because I remember OSU being in the Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl in '77 and '78. And I know some other bowls existed, as I recall watching the Bluebonnet Bowl on New Year's Eve @ my grandparent's house.

Despite the wx, I'll bet you'll enjoy hiking with the scouts more than The Game. Now if you could ever figger how to operate a DVR, you could do both. ;)

-Kevin

dando
11-20-08, 05:46 PM
Local blog entry about the lack of eggcitement around here for the 105th version of The Game:

http://blog.dispatch.com/blog-18/2008/11/getting_out_those_osu_flags_fo.shtml

The city isn't excited. Friends have told me that OSU-Michigan tickets are easy to get, not only at face value but in some cases below face. The Buckeyes' six wins in seven games against the Wolverines under Tressel haven't helped; fans who used to lie awake at night wondering whether the Buckeyes could beat Michigan now sleep soundly, content with the knowledge that OSU will roll to an easy win.

Sucks that my mom is hauling all the way up here to witness her first The Game and it's likely to as eggciting as the YSU season opener. :( Oh well, @ least she'll get to partake in my turkey on Turkey Day. :)

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-20-08, 07:48 PM
Oh well, @ least she'll get to partake in my turkey on Turkey Day. :)

-Kevin

why do you hate your mother so? she brought you into this world, show some respect!

dando
11-21-08, 06:59 PM
T-minus 18 hours to kickoff and....

UM STILL SUCKS!!11!1!!!!!!1!

:D

:thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
11-21-08, 06:59 PM
why do you hate your mother so? she brought you into this world, show some respect!

Dude, my bird is....

GOOD EATS!

:)

-Kevin

dando
11-22-08, 03:07 PM
Suck it, Dick Rod. :laugh: :D

2 plays == bingo! :D

Muck Fichigan!!1!11!

-Kevin

Insomniac
11-22-08, 03:38 PM
Suck it, Dick Rod. :laugh: :D

2 plays == bingo! :D

Muck Fichigan!!1!11!

-Kevin

The only time I'll be on an OSU fan's side. ;)

oddlycalm
11-22-08, 05:03 PM
Got a blast of OSU sentiment when a drunk dialing Buckeye fan blew the area code (503 instead of 513?) and called with a rude, but slurred, post game song...:laugh: He was well into the 2nd verse when he realized I wasn't his UofM alum cousin.... :gomer:

oc

dando
11-22-08, 07:51 PM
Got a blast of OSU sentiment when a drunk dialing Buckeye fan blew the area code (503 instead of 513?) and called with a rude, but slurred, post game song...:laugh: He was well into the 2nd verse when he realized I wasn't his UofM alum cousin.... :gomer:

oc

That wa moi, yo. :gomer: :p

...the whole state of......we're from oHIo.....

;)

-Kevin

cameraman
11-22-08, 10:34 PM
Ha!

Utah 48 BYU 24
:thumbup:

Ankf00
11-22-08, 11:47 PM
OU will be playing in Miami...

:yuck:

dando
11-23-08, 02:45 PM
Doesn't apply to the BC$, but AP has Okie > Burnt Orange by 4 pts. This will be very interesting. Lefty OSU vs. PSU redux in Rose Bowl == :thumdown: :yuck:

-Kevin

dando
11-23-08, 03:11 PM
Okie to #2 in USA Today.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
11-23-08, 03:18 PM
After a come-from-behind, double-OT win against Bowling Green, Buffalo is guaranteed its first bowl bid since they rejected the 1958 Tangerine Bowl bid. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=buffalo58)

They may not be BCS bound, but the current UB team is such a feel good story.

oddlycalm
11-23-08, 03:20 PM
Ha!

Utah 48 BYU 24
:thumbup:
Bowl game. :thumbup: My source in your board of trustees meeting said they were talking possibly Florida, Georgia, Texas, LSU...some big SEC team, and one of the Trustees says, “Better have the party before the game”

Seems like bumping heads with the big dogs is gonna take some getting used to for some folks. :D

oc

dando
11-23-08, 05:23 PM
Bowl game. :thumbup: My source in your board of trustees meeting said they were talking possibly Florida, Georgia, Texas, LSU...some big SEC team, and one of the Trustees says, “Better have the party before the game”

Seems like bumping heads with the big dogs is gonna take some getting used to for some folks. :D

oc

Utah struggled to beat UM 25-23, which got hammered Sat by OSU 42-7, which got hammered by U$C 35-3. Draw your own conclusions....

My guess they'll end up in the Fiesta or Sugar...prolly Sugar against Bama is my guess, but the Fiesta may want them since they are a closer draw. And they'll get hammered just like Hawaii did in the '08 Sugar Bowl.

-Kevin

dando
11-23-08, 10:19 PM
BC$ released...Bama, UT, Okie. Question is what will a W over Okie OSU by Okie vs. a W by UT over A&M do to the numbers?

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-23-08, 10:37 PM
the gap is .008 in BCS. OU made a net gain of like 100 pts in the Harris. The SoS bump OSU will give them will cover that .008 difference. UT will still have #1 SoS, and we're actually #1 in the Sagarin rankings, but unless about 10 coaches and about 30 Harris voters switch their votes, OU goes through if they and Tech win out...

dando
11-23-08, 11:06 PM
the gap is .008 in BCS. OU made a net gain of like 100 pts in the Harris. The SoS bump OSU will give them will cover that .008 difference. UT will still have #1 SoS, and we're actually #1 in the Sagarin rankings, but unless about 10 coaches and about 30 Harris voters switch their votes, OU goes through if they and Tech win out...

Sucks to be y'all. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-23-08, 11:07 PM
yea, oh well, just go answer my question about the mp3 player jackass :p

Don Quixote
11-24-08, 09:44 AM
My report from a quick trip to Columbus this weekend:

burning couch count = 0
burning dumpster count = 0
students blocking high street requiring riot police to use tear gas = 0
cars tipped over = 0

When I was a student, beating Michigan meant so much more. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
11-24-08, 11:05 AM
After a come-from-behind, double-OT win against Bowling Green, Buffalo is guaranteed its first bowl bid since they rejected the 1958 Tangerine Bowl bid. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=buffalo58)

They may not be BCS bound, but the current UB team is such a feel good story.

This is such a great story. An significant turn around for a program I'm not sure many even though belonged in IA football a few years ago.

And the 58 team turning down the Tangerine Bowl bid because of the racist laws in Orlando. Shameful that their refusal to keep their two black players home didn't shame official in FL into changing their rules. Shows how far we've come since 58

Andrew Longman
11-24-08, 11:08 AM
I'll bet you'll enjoy hiking with the scouts more than The Game. Now if you could ever figger how to operate a DVR, you could do both. ;)

-Kevin

We did. 17 degrees Saturday night but the girls (and I) had a great time. Came home exhausted but thrilled.

On your advice I didn't even bother to try to program the DVR.

dando
11-24-08, 11:16 AM
On your advice I didn't even bother to try to program the DVR.

You saved 3 hours of your life. Rich Rod has his work cut out for him.

-Kevin

nrc
11-24-08, 12:54 PM
When I was a student, beating Michigan meant so much more. :gomer:

Careful. I firmly believe the current string of beatings is karmic justice for the team up North daring to say that The Game didn't matter any more.

Don Quixote
11-24-08, 02:57 PM
Careful. I firmly believe the current string of beatings is karmic justice for the team up North daring to say that The Game didn't matter any more. True. Michigan has now reached Cooper levels of suckage in the Game. The pendulum will swing the other direction someday. I just hope that Richy Rid isn't there to see it. :)

dando
11-24-08, 04:45 PM
In other news, another UM player quit the team. :laugh:

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-26-08, 11:35 AM
Aggies

The history of the aggie people is as confusing and complex as any culture that exists on earth. Yet, unlike many peoples that have adapted and evolved in response to external and internal influences over the centuries, the aggies have largely remained true to their roots. And they're proud of it. As a result of passing on their beliefs and practices over the years, their behavior over time has been remarkably consistent. It is this consistency that makes them an exciting and fascinating group to study.

Who are the aggies? The relationship between the aggies and morons, idiots, and okies are often misunderstood. Contrary to widespread belief, the aggies are considered, and consider themselves, a separate people from the morons, idiots, and okies. Historically, the true stupidity of aggies has largely dominated over, and outnumbered all three other groups combined. The misconception that the four groups are related probably stems from the fact that morons and idiots have imitated many rituals and behaviors practiced by the aggies. However, aggies are a distinct group. [Although recent evidence (Solomon, Shyster, et. al…1995) suggests that at one time, probably early in the century, aggies and okies lived together and interbred in parts of Southern Oklahoma and Texas, hence, Arkansas was populated by their offspring.

What largely separates aggies from the others groups is their social interaction. Unlike okies, idiots, and morons, aggies are highly social creatures that tend to validate each other's views and beliefs. This can lead to what scholars call a "groupthink delusion." It is believed that these delusions are the glue that have bound aggies everywhere together over the years.

The history of the aggie school of thought actually begins in ancient Greece, with the early philospher Slocumedes, who was the first to recognize that the absence of everything is equivalent to nothing. He had a large number of stupid followers and much of his works is still passed on from parent to child today. Stupicles, from Pheces, taught that all things could be crushed by a large enough piece of wood. His students, known as woodpeckers, practiced pet embalming, hand gestures, organized grunting and mastered many techniques in consuming solid food through their nasal cavities. Stupicles was also a prolific writer. Unfortunately, his twelve volumes of philosophical works, which he wrote entirely in the sand on an Egyptian beach, was lost during a high Mediterranean tide.

With the rise of the Roman Empire, many aggies sought the stability and steady work afforded by slavery. The aggies however, made poor slaves, and many were forced into Christianity for "entertainment of monks" and so that they could be fed to the lions. Others were driven out of the Roman Empire into Northern Europe where they settled many colonies. The void left by the fall of the Roman Empire provided the aggies an opportunity to flourish unhindered in Europe, hence Poland and France were populated.

The aggies didn't fare so well during the industrial revolution since the philosophical and scientific frameworks of Descartes and Newton didn't give much leeway to superstition and planned ignorance. More and more aggies found themselves falling into the ranks of the working masses. Aggies caused many early industrial accidents as they tried to fit into this rapidly changing society, and evidence of their engineering prowess remains, such as the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Their ways and practices were not appreciated in the new European culture; however, and increasingly many aggies sought refuge across the ocean in America. That is those who didn't wind up sinking their ships in the North Atlantic.

Part of the problem in identifying an aggie is that they look and act much like anyone else until they do or say something decidedly stupid. Most aggies don't think of themselves as morons, but rather as intelligent individuals. This makes it very difficult to reason with an aggie. Stupid acts can take many forms and vary in degree, but when an aggie commits one it is unmistakable. The majority of the times a aggie turns out to be nothing more than an inconvenience and source of humor to the innocent bystander. These incidents are played out on city streets, supermarkets and country Dairy Queens daily. However, there are times when these acts can get out of hand and be devastating. It is always wise to be on alert and prepared, and stay away from large stacks of logs, maroon-clad men wielding binoculars, or people with shaved heads and swords.

At times you may find yourself in close proximity to an aggie in the midst of a stupid spell. It is good advice not to approach them during an incident unless accompanied by a trained professional. If you find that you have no choice, then speak slowly and use small, soothing words. Never try to outwit an aggie since they will only interpret that as a hostile and aggressive act. Always let the aggie think they are superior. And under no circumstances let your face or hands, pets or livestock near aggies mouth.

Keep in mind at all times, that although an aggie may seem intelligent and civilized, they are not. It is an adaptive disguise developed over the centuries

Andrew Longman
11-26-08, 12:10 PM
Thank Ank. I learn something helpful every day. Explains a lot.

But what's with the nut grab thing they do at football games?

Don Quixote
11-26-08, 12:29 PM
But what's with the nut grab thing they do at football games? I could have gone all year without thinking about that. :D

Ankf00
11-26-08, 02:02 PM
aggy's explanation for nut grabbing is as follows:

"From the outside you can't understand, and from the inside you can't explain."

Aggy is an odd peoples.

Ankf00
11-28-08, 01:20 PM
this game belongs on thanksgiving night. awesome experience. RichK, please don't get put on TV probation again and get the game moved to 11am Friday again.

dando
11-29-08, 02:43 PM
24 + 20:58:05 till kickoff

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/24.jpg

Buh bye Sly. :(

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3733168

Sylvester Croom has resigned as head coach of Mississippi State.

Ole Miss humiliated Mississippi State 45-0 on Friday at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium. Mississippi State lost 97 yards on sacks alone and Ole Miss held the Bulldogs to minus-51 yards rushing, busting the previous school record of minus-16 set against Auburn in 1992.

Ole Miss held Mississippi State to 37 total yards on 56 plays and limited tailback Anthony Dixon to 14 yards a week after he rushed for a career-high 179 yards against Arkansas.

"I didn't see that one coming," Croom said Friday.

The most lopsided Egg Bowl since the Rebels won 48-0 in 1971 and another poor offensive performance by the Bulldogs cast more doubt on the fifth-year coach's future. He signed a contract extension following last year's breakthrough 8-5 performance, but was under pressure after difficulties on offense and special teams cost the Bulldogs this year.

-Kevin

dando
11-30-08, 12:20 AM
Jeebus this is just insane. Do they play D in the Big Twinkie? :eek:

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-30-08, 01:49 PM
trail OU by 1 pt in the coaches, made up 41 pts. but they have 2 #1 votes and Tech has 1 #1 vote :saywhat: lack of transparency == b.s.

nrc
12-01-08, 12:11 PM
Wait. The Big 12 counts BCS rankings above head-to-head results? Wow.

Ankf00
12-01-08, 04:46 PM
:(

Go Mizzou?

Don Quixote
12-01-08, 04:55 PM
Does this mean that my beloved Buckeyes will get trounced by the Horns in the Fiesta Bowl?

Ankf00
12-01-08, 08:29 PM
if bradford doesn't choke, he wins heisman and goes to miami.

if that's the case:

Does this mean that my beloved Buckeyes will get trounced by the Horns in the Fiesta Bowl?

god I ****ing hope so :flame:

redmist
12-02-08, 04:44 PM
Wait. The Big 12 counts BCS rankings above head-to-head results? Wow.

it's because there is a 3 way tie. texas says "we beat ou" taco tech says "well we beat texas" and ou says "well we prison raped tech" so around and around it goes.

Don Quixote
12-02-08, 04:52 PM
god I ****ing hope so :flame: You don't want to play the Buckeyes under the lights. :D

Ankf00
12-02-08, 06:09 PM
it's because there is a 3 way tie. texas says "we beat ou" taco tech says "well we beat texas" and ou says "well we prison raped tech" so around and around it goes.

every other conference has clauses using head to head or conf opponents to solve 3 way ties. not the BCS itself, when the difference in every last computer and both polls between OU & UT are statistically insignificant.

6 votes, 1 vote (in a poll that has OU receiving #1 votes from Pelini & Leach over 'bama which is complete garbage), and no statistically sig diff in any computer in a 95%, or even 55% confidence interval.

about as close to a tie as you can get.

Ankf00
12-02-08, 06:16 PM
You don't want to play the Buckeyes under the lights. :D

We skerrrred :D

Ankf00
12-04-08, 01:10 PM
BCS DECLARES GERMANY WINNER OF WORLD WAR II

US Ranked 4th

After determining the Big-12 championship game participants the BCS computers were put to work on other major contests and today the BCS declared Germany to be the winner of World War II.

"Germany put together an incredible number of victories beginning with the annexation of Austria and the Sudetenland and continuing on into conference play with defeats of Poland, France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands. Their only losses came against the US and Russia; however considering their entire body of work--including an incredibly tough Strength of Schedule--our computers deemed them worthy of the #1 ranking."

Questioned about the #4 ranking of the United States the BCS commissioner stated "The US only had two major victories--Japan and Germany. The computer models, unlike humans, aren't influenced by head-to-head contests--they consider each contest to be only a single, equally-weighted event. The fact that Japan was able to easily take over and occupy Vietnam, something that the US failed to do in its time vs. Vietnam, enforces the weakness of the US' head-to-head victory over Japan."

German Chancellor Adolph Hiter said "Yes, we lost to the US; but we defeated #2 ranked France in only 6 weeks." Herr Hitler has been criticized for seeking dramatic victories to earn 'style points' to enhance Germany's rankings. Hitler protested "Our contest with Poland was in doubt until the final day and the conditions in Norway were incredibly challenging and demanded the application of additional forces."

The French ranking has also come under scrutiny. The BCS commented " France had a single loss against Germany and following a preseason #1 ranking they only fell to #2."

Japan was ranked #3 with victories including Manchuria, Borneo and the Philippines.

Ankf00
12-04-08, 01:30 PM
Crabtree's roommate arrested

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7999888&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

12/04/08

FOX 34 received confirmation early this morning that Texas Tech football player De'Shon Sanders was arrested overnight.

Jail reps tell us he was taken into custody by the Drug Enforcement Agency and is currently being held at the Lubbock County Jail.

Sanders is a senior cornerback from New Mexico. He came to Tech from a junior college in San Francisco. We're working to gather more information.

DEA? ruh roh :eek:

cameraman
12-04-08, 01:33 PM
Crabtree's roommate arrested

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7999888&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

DEA? ruh roh :eek:

Yikes. This could get really ugly.

Don Quixote
12-04-08, 01:50 PM
Yikes. This could get really ugly. Maybe they will have to forfeit their win against the horns. :D

redmist
12-04-08, 05:53 PM
hitler hates the bcs.;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1hTx9CNKcY

TKGAngel
12-06-08, 08:35 AM
Let's Go Buff-a-lo! :::clap clap clapclapclap:::

Looks like UB didn't get the memo saying that they were supposed to roll over and die against Ball State. What a fun game to watch last night (and about darn time a team from Buffalo won something lately).

dando
12-06-08, 01:17 PM
Let's Go Buff-a-lo! :::clap clap clapclapclap:::

Looks like UB didn't get the memo saying that they were supposed to roll over and die against Ball State. What a fun game to watch last night (and about darn time a team from Buffalo won something lately).

Nice W last night. Say buh-bye to Gill, yo.

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-06-08, 09:14 PM
Turner needs to head east to SU.

Sam Bradford needs to diaf.

Chase's FUPA needs to not give up 5 picks tonight.

Gary Danielson needs to suffer a heart attack while in a hotel room w/ an atlanta hooker tonight.

[/hate]

TKGAngel
12-06-08, 09:46 PM
Turner needs to head east to SU.

According to the B-Lo News, he interviewed at 'Cuse last week. Auburn also has been granted permission to talk to him.

UB is also inviting members of the '58 Tangerine Bowl team to accompany them on their bowl trip.

Ankf00
12-06-08, 11:01 PM
I hope Tebow goes for 500 total yards and 7 TDs in Miami.

Ankf00
12-07-08, 12:33 AM
4 minutes left in the game.

5 touchdown lead.

Why is bradford still in, let alone throwing for the end zone on 5 step drops?

oh right, Mr. "I took the high road" hates puppies and jesus, and runs it up WAC-style every chance he gets