And take the damned Flyers with you!

dando
01-09-09, 05:22 PM
And take the damned Flyers with you!

That's Phlyers, yo. ;) :p

-Kevin

Ankf00
01-10-09, 08:19 PM
anyone else think Flacco pulled a Dan Orlovsky a minute ago? they never showed a replay...

WickerBill
01-11-09, 12:17 AM
YES! He looked like he took two complete steps out of the back of the end zone.

dando
01-11-09, 10:44 AM
anyone else think Flacco pulled a Dan Orlovsky a minute ago? they never showed a replay...

I instantly thought he went out of the end zone, but nobody mentioned it. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
01-11-09, 12:25 PM
anyone else think Flacco pulled a Dan Orlovsky a minute ago? they never showed a replay... After the game, the talking heads in the studio mentioned it, and said he didn't step out. I think I saw a black helicopter in the background.

Insomniac
01-11-09, 01:30 PM
They showed he didn't, but that missed delay of game helped a lot.

WickerBill
01-11-09, 02:04 PM
Does anyone understand the announcer saying "there's an extra second" when the back judge looks at the clock, then looks at the ball? Seriously? An entire *second*?

dando
01-11-09, 03:32 PM
Does anyone understand the announcer saying "there's an extra second" when the back judge looks at the clock, then looks at the ball? Seriously? An entire *second*?

I've always wondered why the in game 30-second clock goes to 0 routinely, but no delay penalty is called.

-Kevin

dando
01-11-09, 04:10 PM
G Men secondary blows. :saywhat: :thumdown: Bruiser of a game. Reminds me of Big 10 foosball. :)

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-11-09, 04:30 PM
...except these teams actually have a chance to beat a team from another conference.

dando
01-11-09, 04:40 PM
...except these teams actually have a chance to beat a team from another conference.

:(

The way the G-Men's QB and secondary are playing, they aren't beating anyone from their own division let alone the AFC.

-Kevin

dando
01-11-09, 05:01 PM
Game. Amazing that we have two 9-game regular season winners playing in the NFC Championship. NOBODY gave the Cards a shot in hell @ Carolina last night. NOBODY. Rematch, this time in AZ. Keep in mind that the last time around the Cards were playing on a short week on Thxgiving after playing the G-Men the previous Sunday.

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-11-09, 05:02 PM

The clearly have no idea how long a second actually is.

Insomniac
01-11-09, 05:04 PM
I've always wondered why the in game 30-second clock goes to 0 routinely, but no delay penalty is called.

-Kevin

Pretty easy answer. The ref is instructed to watch the clock hit 0, then look at the snap. They don't look at both at the same time. That is the gap they talk about. The time between seeing it go to 0 and determining if the snap happened.

Insomniac
01-11-09, 05:05 PM
Game. Amazing that we have two 9-game regular season winners playing in the NFC Championship. NOBODY gave the Cards a shot in hell @ Carolina last night. NOBODY. Rematch, this time in AZ. Keep in mind that the last time around the Cards were playing on a short week on Thxgiving after playing the G-Men the previous Sunday.

-Kevin

Could all 4 #1 and #2 seeds go down?

Ankf00
01-11-09, 05:13 PM
good to see them channeling their inner Cowboys.

dando
01-11-09, 05:29 PM
Could all 4 #1 and #2 seeds go down?

All wildcard SB? :eek:

-Kevin

dando
01-11-09, 05:40 PM
good to see I'm channeling my inner Cowboys.

Fixed. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

dando
01-11-09, 05:49 PM
Oh my. :eek: My boss and his boss are Steelers fans. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
01-11-09, 06:06 PM
Matt Wilhelm gives SanAntonio </mushbooger> Holmes five after the punt return. :D Buckeyes always! :D

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-12-09, 11:03 AM
Well, the one team I wanted to lose won. :( SD sucks. Go Ravens!

Insomniac
01-12-09, 11:05 AM
Josh McDaniels to Denver. Get ready for a miilion stories and mentions of his age. His players saying how he looks so young and were surprised when they met him, etc. And NE goes to Denver next year, so there will be the obligatory Mentor-Student angle.

I'm hoping for Mike Shanahan to New England for a year. He'd actually help, unlike Dom Capers.

dando
01-12-09, 11:23 AM
Pretty easy answer. The ref is instructed to watch the clock hit 0, then look at the snap. They don't look at both at the same time. That is the gap they talk about. The time between seeing it go to 0 and determining if the snap happened.

Seems to me that the 30-second clock should be mandated to be in certain spots, like the shot clock in basketball. Apparently the clock in TN is on the scoreboard. If the BJ needs to look @ the clock and then the position of the ball, it should be in plain view of both...like off the side of the goalposts. Just sayin'.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
01-12-09, 12:04 PM
I believe by rule the 30 second clock must be in the back of each endzone so the QB can easily see it.

Why the BJ can't also easily see it, and the ball at the same time, I don't know.

Deirforf's (?) explanation made no sense. I think it is more that they just give you about a second grace period. :rolleyes:

dando
01-12-09, 12:38 PM
I believe by rule the 30 second clock must be in the back of each endzone so the QB can easily see it.

Why the BJ can't also easily see it, and the ball at the same time, I don't know.

Deirforf's (?) explanation made no sense. I think it is more that they just give you about a second grace period. :rolleyes:

Not according to this story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3826899).

After the game, referee Terry McAuley said there was a "natural delay" when the back judge looks from the play clock to the center to see if the ball is snapped. The play clock at LP Field is located on the Jumbotron scoreboard, not at field level.

Dierdorf stopped making sense years ago. :saywhat: Afterall, he is from UM, yo. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
01-12-09, 12:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3827085

Dallas Cowboys linebacker Anthony Spencer was arrested over the weekend after a disturbance outside a downtown Indianapolis nightclub, police said.

Spencer was arrested on preliminary charges of public intoxication and disorderly conduct about 3 a.m. Sunday outside the Have a Nice Day Cafe, city police Sgt. Matthew Mount said.

:gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-12-09, 12:57 PM
Seems to me that the 30-second clock should be mandated to be in certain spots, like the shot clock in basketball. Apparently the clock in TN is on the scoreboard. If the BJ needs to look @ the clock and then the position of the ball, it should be in plain view of both...like off the side of the goalposts. Just sayin'.

-Kevin

You'd think they could simply sync the game and play clocks to something they can wear.

Insomniac
01-12-09, 12:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3827085

:gomer:

-Kevin

It's interesting that no Cowboy has been arrested in nearly 2 years and the first one was arrested outside of Dallas.

Andrew Longman
01-12-09, 02:53 PM
Not according to this story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3826899).

-Kevin

Sort of. The jumbotron is just above the field level seats. The BJ should be able to have both in his field of view. If the QB can see it and the defense, the BJ should be able to see it and the ball.

http://www.lpfield.com/visit/seating.aspx

Besides, he doesn't just watch the clock as described. If he is just watching the clock, how does he know when the ball is snapped and he needs to start his other duties? He has to have an eye on both.

One change I'd also like to see is how/when the clock starts. How many times after a long gain have you seen a team take a delay or TO because of the time it takes to get the team down field and lined up? Happened to the Giants yesterday and it happens all the time. I'm not sure the clock should start immediately after the end of the previous play.

dando
01-12-09, 03:35 PM
One change I'd also like to see is how/when the clock starts. How many times after a long gain have you seen a team take a delay or TO because of the time it takes to get the team down field and lined up? Happened to the Giants yesterday and it happens all the time. I'm not sure the clock should start immediately after the end of the previous play.

Yeah, I even noticed that after a few shorter plays in Pittsburgh yesterday.

-Kevin

dando
01-12-09, 04:09 PM
Kinda on topic/off topic, but a damn good read by Mitch Albom (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/the_bonus/01/07/detroit/index.html).

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-12-09, 04:42 PM

Maybe the players should spend less time celebrating and more time playing. As much as you hate celebrating, I'd expect you to realize that there is enough time to hit a big play and get the next play off.

Andrew Longman
01-13-09, 11:01 PM
Maybe the players should spend less time celebrating and more time playing. As much as you hate celebrating, I'd expect you to realize that there is enough time to hit a big play and get the next play off.

In this case (the Giants game, and other occurances) celebration wasn't an issue at all. Officials had to run down the field at spot the ball, the play has to come in, personnel may have been changed, and time spent to quickly read the defense and audible the right adjustments eats up 30 seconds pretty quick. The need to audible adjustments on almost every play actually may have more to do with the problem than anything.

Insomniac
01-13-09, 11:09 PM
Well, Scott Pioli is gone now too.

Mangini's staff is being filled by ex-Patriots. They're saying the NE S.T. coach may be heading there too. The staff is getting thinner and more and more inexperienced. Even the front office at the top. #2 and #1 guys gone in back-to-back years. Cleveland is supposed to have #3 on the short list for GM as well.

In any case, :thumbup: to McDaniels. He landed the best opening in one of the best organizations. He could be there a long time. Same goes to Pioli. He can be running that show until he retires.

I'm just hoping Belichick has a lot more years left.

WickerBill
01-14-09, 08:13 AM
In this case (the Giants game, and other occurances) celebration wasn't an issue at all. Officials had to run down the field at spot the ball, the play has to come in, personnel may have been changed, and time spent to quickly read the defense and audible the right adjustments eats up 30 seconds pretty quick. The need to audible adjustments on almost every play actually may have more to do with the problem than anything.

The NFL wants the games to not last so long, so I'm doubting they're going to add time between plays.

Even though we all know the best way to shorten the games is to not have four commercials after an extra point, then four more after the ensuing kickoff...

nrc
01-14-09, 09:49 AM
The NFL wants the games to not last so long, so I'm doubting they're going to add time between plays.

Even though we all know the best way to shorten the games is to not have four commercials after an extra point, then four more after the ensuing kickoff...

I predict that four commercials per extra point will add almost no time to this weekend's AFC championship game. :)

Gnam
01-16-09, 10:00 PM
Tampa Bay deep sixes Gruden and GM Bruce Allen.

I thought Gurden was good for the Bucs, but losing that last regular season game to the Raiders sank his battleship.

Andrew Longman
01-17-09, 09:12 AM
Axing Chucky surprised me. I always thought he was one of the better ones, but reading in the morning paper I learned while he is the winningest coach in Buc history, he was only 60-57 and 45-53 and without a playoff win since winning the big one his first season.

That's pretty mediocre, even if he's never really had a quality QB.

dando
01-17-09, 11:46 AM
Axing Chucky surprised me. I always thought he was one of the better ones, but reading in the morning paper I learned while he is the winningest coach in Buc history, he was only 60-57 and 45-53 and without a playoff win since winning the big one his first season.

That's pretty mediocre, even if he's never really had a quality QB.

Mebbe he'll end up back in Oakland. :gomer:

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-17-09, 12:38 PM
So a question to everyone... how good or bad would Tampa have been if their HC had been Dungy for the last seven years?

Championship?

Better record?

Don Quixote
01-17-09, 01:04 PM
I think their record would have been the same. No qb = .500 record max. I wonder where Chucky will wind up. I wonder where Shanny will wind up. How about the Rat to the cowboys and Phillips get demoted to defensive coordinator. Let's start the Cowher to TB rumors.

Andrew Longman
01-17-09, 05:20 PM
Mebbe he'll end up back in Oakland. :gomer:

-Kevin

Doubtful but the Jets last night already were saying they were not interested.

He has three years left on his contract. I'd buy a sailboat. There are not real good openings out there except maybe Denver, but it depends on how much control the coach would have.

Next year will be interesting. All these guys have said they are not coaching in 09, but they may have some interest 10: Parcells, Cowhler, Holmgren, Dungy, Schottenheimer, then add Shannahan, Chucky, Fassel, and a few college guys who are just likely going to wait for the right job to open. Should prove interesting

dando
01-17-09, 06:54 PM
There are not real good openings out there except maybe Denver, but it depends on how much control the coach would have.

MacDaniels landed in Denver, so that's filled. Current openings are in St. Lou, Detroit, NYJ and Oakland.

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-17-09, 07:09 PM
So a question to everyone... how good or bad would Tampa have been if their HC had been Dungy for the last seven years?

Championship?

Better record?

I'd say roughly the same record, but no championship. Dungy coached the offense up enough to take advantage of Tony Dungy's/Monte Kiffin's defense. Then he got Oakland in the Super Bowl where Bill Callahan decided not to change the play calling.

Insomniac
01-17-09, 07:13 PM
MacDaniels landed in Denver, so that's filled. Current openings are in St. Lou, Detroit, NYJ and Oakland.

-Kevin

Detroit has Jim Schwartz (where have you been? :p) and Steve Spagnuolo was just hired by the Rams.

Maybe ND fires Weis, hires Gruden. Patriots get Weis back.

dando
01-17-09, 07:35 PM
Detroit has Jim Schwartz (where have you been? :p) and Steve Spagnuolo was just hired by the Rams.

Maybe ND fires Weis, hires Gruden. Patriots get Weis back.

Busy. I haven't seen SC the past few days, and haven't listed to the radio either. Last heard Spags interiewed w/NYJ and Scwartz was likely, but not official in Motown. Considering what Porky is due @ ND, I wouldn't hold my breath that he'll be there anytime soon.

-Kevin

dando
01-17-09, 08:32 PM
Bucs moved fast, hiring a 32 year-old first time head coach (Raheem Morris). :eek:

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-18-09, 12:28 AM
Busy. I haven't seen SC the past few days, and haven't listed to the radio either. Last heard Spags interiewed w/NYJ and Scwartz was likely, but not official in Motown. Considering what Porky is due @ ND, I wouldn't hold my breath that he'll be there anytime soon.

-Kevin

My thinking was the Bucs owe Gruden money, and ND would owe Weis money. The job is Gtuden's if he's willing to take a small salary the first 3 years. It would offset what they owe Weis. I don't really think it would happen, just thinking it could work out for NE. :)

WickerBill
01-18-09, 07:20 PM
The Cardinals? Seriously??

Yes it was pass interference, but the Eagles shoulda considered playing for three quarters instead of two.

OW
01-18-09, 07:44 PM
Pass interference (offsets) The ball never went out of bounds<-no review

Hey just cause we have cameras - At least we still have human refs...

dando
01-18-09, 07:49 PM
The Cardinals? Seriously??

If it was Cleveburg, I'd be really surprise. :gomer:

And yes, as I posted previously, NOBODY gave them a .01% chance to make it to the Super Bowl. :eek: The bad news is that we get a full dose of Brenda Warner the next couple of weeks. :yuck: :saywhat: ;)

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-18-09, 08:02 PM
The bad news is that we get a full dose of Brenda Warner the next couple of weeks. :yuck: :saywhat: ;)

-Kevin

http://origin.theonion.com/content/node/34927

dando
01-18-09, 08:35 PM
http://origin.theonion.com/content/node/34927

:eek: :yuck: :thumdown: x11

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
01-19-09, 11:07 AM
GO STEELERS!!! :thumbup:

Insomniac
01-19-09, 11:09 AM
I had waited to post this, but I figure it's more meaningful at this point.

But I'd argue that the Cardinals -- and the other 11 teams in the playoffs -- all have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl (based on what we know now) than the Giants had at the outset of last year's playoffs (based on what we knew then).

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/02/the-cardinals-cant-win-the-super-bowl-just-like-the-giants-cou/

Being a Patriots fan, it has been a good decade, but on the flip side, since they last won, Pittsburgh has won (my personally most hated team) and the Manning brothers won. Now Pittsburgh is going to win another. :yuck: I've been cheering on the wrong side of every Super Bowl since XL. Sorry Arizona, I'm pulling for you.

Insomniac
01-19-09, 11:13 AM
Also, interestingly, you have Whisenhunt who was supposedly going to get the Pittsburgh job and the guy who did facing each other.

extramundane
01-19-09, 11:22 AM
GO STEELERS!!! :thumbup:

+1. I don't bleed black & gold like my brother does, but it's always nice to see them in the Bowl.

A friend of a friend who owns a printing biz in the 'burgh made up a bunch of these, guaranteed to inspire and/or infuriate everyone:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2im2b77.jpg

Wheel-Nut
01-19-09, 12:13 PM
I wish they had some decent looking caps for the AFC Championship. Those gray Reebok caps look like shat.

Don Quixote
01-19-09, 12:49 PM
Will Clark be fined for the helmet to helmet hit on Magahee?

Wheel-Nut
01-19-09, 01:21 PM
Will Clark be fined for the helmet to helmet hit on Magahee?

I heard the announcers say something about that was a legal hit downfield?? Can some clarify?

Don Quixote
01-19-09, 01:32 PM
I heard the announcers say something about that was a legal hit downfield?? Can some clarify? I don't really know the rules, but if that was a legal hit, they need to do something about it. In the slow motion replay, Clark lowers his head just before impact, an obvious intentional spear. I'm sure all the Todd Bertuzzi apologists around here will disagree with me, but I think Clark could have killed Magahee.

WickerBill
01-19-09, 01:54 PM
More likely to be fined for launching himself.

TKGAngel
01-19-09, 02:00 PM
I don't really know the rules, but if that was a legal hit, they need to do something about it. In the slow motion replay, Clark lowers his head just before impact, an obvious intentional spear. I'm sure all the Todd Bertuzzi apologists around here will disagree with me, but I think Clark could have killed Magahee.

As much as I think McGahee is a schmuck, I didn't want to see him leave on a stretcher. You could tell that he was out before he hit the ground. The way his fists and body seized up was eerily reminiscent of Kevin Everett.

And who's a Bertuzzi apologist around here?

nrc
01-19-09, 02:04 PM
I don't really know the rules, but if that was a legal hit, they need to do something about it. In the slow motion replay, Clark lowers his head just before impact, an obvious intentional spear. I'm sure all the Todd Bertuzzi apologists around here will disagree with me, but I think Clark could have killed Magahee.

It wasn't much different than Ward's hit that broke Keith Rivers' jaw. He put his head down but turned to lead with his shoulder. The NFL said that was legal.

Andrew Longman
01-19-09, 02:11 PM
Clean hit in my book

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e35c6a&campaign=ec0009

Led with his shoulder. Caught helmet with helmet. McGahee had no chance to defend himself. Just a sick hit.

It's what you expect your safety to do and why people buy tickets.

He's out of the hospital and I'm thankful everyone is OK. It easily might have been different.

Clark will certainly be fined. $25K is my bet.

Don Quixote
01-19-09, 02:31 PM
And who's a Bertuzzi apologist around here?
They know who they are. Don't make me pull up those threads. :laugh:

Don Quixote
01-19-09, 02:36 PM
It wasn't much different than Ward's hit that broke Keith Rivers' jaw. He put his head down but turned to lead with his shoulder. The NFL said that was legal. I agree the hits are similar. Like WB said though, Clark did launch himself. Does anybody else see a pattern here? :\

Wheel-Nut
01-19-09, 02:44 PM
. . . . Does anybody else see a pattern here? :\

The Steelers are a hard hitting team?

dando
01-19-09, 03:48 PM
Just hand the trophy over to the Steelers. Srsly. No one gets hurt that way.

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-21-09, 10:41 AM
The league said no fine:

"[McGahee] had completed the catch and was a runner. Helmet-to-helmet contact is legal in that situation as it is for any ball carrier (running back, quarterback, or receiver). Helmet-to-helmet contact is prohibited against defenseless players (defined as a receiver in the process of making a catch or a quarterback in the act of passing)."

He was also the guy who laid out Welker. Which IMO should've been fined but wasn't.

dando
01-21-09, 11:17 AM
IMO, helmet-to-helmet contact should be outlawed. Period.

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-21-09, 01:06 PM
How can you outlaw something that 80% of the time is incidental? Maybe 90%? You really think the dude hitting wants to concuss the guy so bad he's willing to take a concussion himself?

The truth is they throw their shoulders and duck their heads when trying to execute a non-wrapup tackle. When you duck your head, and your opponent (McGahee in this case) ducks *his* head too when he perceives the impact, you get helmet-to-helmet.

I can almost PROMISE you that the safety wants to blast the guy onto his back by using a shoulder, not his head. I can't imagine there are too many guys out there looking to violently bang helmets, knowing the paralysis risk for both players involved.

Seems like trying to outlaw high passes because too many receivers are getting blown up when they're reaching for the ball. Part of the game. If they fined Eli for high passes, he might be paying the NFL for the privilege of playing.

Insomniac
01-21-09, 01:26 PM
IMO, helmet-to-helmet contact should be outlawed. Period.

-Kevin

Over on ProFootballTalk they put the whole rule up:

Per Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8(g) of the 2008 NFL rules, the concept of unnecessary roughness includes “using any part of a player’s helmet . . . or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily; although such violent or unnecessary use of the helmet and facemask is impermissible against any opponent, game officials will give special attention in administering this rule to protecting those players who are in virtually defenseless postures (e.g., a player in the act of or just throwing a pass, a receiver catching or attempting to catch a pass, a runner already in the grasp of a tackler, a kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air, or a player on the ground at the end of a play).”

Using your helmet seems to be illegal no matter what. Doesn't matter where you hit the other player with it.

My problem is that at the beginning of the season they were nailing everyone for those types of hits. They essentially wanted the players to not make those blasting kind of hits. At some point they changed course. Now I have no idea what the criteria is to get fined. (Especially if there is no flag.)

From my perspective, there are two ways to see these hits. One is part of the game and any thought of fining it would be the equivalent of just turning the sport into flag football. The flip side is a hit like that is more than likely to cause some type of injury and there should be stiff protections for that. Personally, I don't have a problem with forcing players to avoid "jacking" each other up. Someone isn't going to walk away at some point. The blind hits are some of the most violent. The guy is standing ready to level someone and he doesn't even see it coming. (Chad Clifton, Keith Rivers) IMO, sure they are legal hits, but they seem unnecessary. You can't tell me that Warren Sapp and Hines Ward didn't know the guy had no idea it was coming.

There are other hits like Kevin Everett's that seem more incidental. I'd say this hit by Clark was a mix of both. There was no intent to smash helmets, but he was going for a big hit, not just a tackle. I said it before, these guys are bigger, stronger and faster and their bodies haven't kept up to take those hits.

The NFL is messed up in that regard. They spend their time legislating TD celebrations and started to enforce on these hits, and just stopped. When someone doesn't get back up, that will be infinitely worse than a TD dance T.O. or Ocho Cinco ever could've done.

stroker
01-21-09, 02:27 PM
Did anyone else have louse reception for the Steelers game last weekend? Video/audio breakup, etc?

Andrew Longman
01-21-09, 03:11 PM
Over on ProFootballTalk they put the whole rule up:

Good post

Spearing (leading with you head) has been illegal (in HS) since I was in 11th grade ('76). Our coaches had to re-teach us how to tackle, though I don't recall a single spearing penalty my last two years of HS or 4 years of college. The fact is your head is at the top of you body and in a game that is often played horizontally it is the first thing that is likely to hit your opponent in a tackle or a block.

Head and neck injuries destroy players and the game. I estimate I've have at least 15 concussions in the 29 years I played, most coming when I was young, none treated by a doctor. (I'm that limits my ability to post youtube threads :gomer:).

At the same time, they need to come up with and enforce a workable rule in a consistent fashion. Big hits are part of the game and can be game changers, but asking these guys to do it just to keep their jobs while asking them to also write a check on Monday is wrong and it frustrates fans.

dando
01-21-09, 03:48 PM
Did anyone else have louse reception for the Steelers game last weekend? Video/audio breakup, etc?

Nada.

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-21-09, 05:34 PM

Unfortunately, no. :)

Insomniac
01-21-09, 05:44 PM
Head and neck injuries destroy players and the game. I estimate I've have at least 15 concussions in the 29 years I played, most coming when I was young, none treated by a doctor. (I'm that limits my ability to post youtube threads :gomer:).

At the same time, they need to come up with and enforce a workable rule in a consistent fashion. Big hits are part of the game and can be game changers, but asking these guys to do it just to keep their jobs while asking them to also write a check on Monday is wrong and it frustrates fans.

I hope you're way off on your estimate. From the little research they've done on some former players, that's a scary number.

I feel like the unnecessary roughness call should cover this stuff. When you come in like that vs say trying to tackle. Clark had the time to run at him and rotate his body to hit McGahee using his shoulder. And it wasn't directly on his shoulder, it was the back part of his shoulder. He was preparing himself for a big hit. IMO, that by definition is unnecessary roughness. He was trying to hit him as hard as he possibly could while trying to protect himself. I understand the intimidation factor here, but you can hit a guy hard in other ways.

Andrew Longman
01-21-09, 08:20 PM
I hope you're way off on your estimate. From the little research they've done on some former players, that's a scary number.

I feel like the unnecessary roughness call should cover this stuff. When you come in like that vs say trying to tackle.

Sadly (I guess) my estimate is probably low. At the time, concussions were not take as seriously as they are now. The impact was not as understood, and not playing because you had a headache/nausea/blurred vision was discouraged. I once played most of a quarter literally unconscious. I have no memory of about 9 minutes I played after taking a head to head contact (and cracked sinus) with a receiver trying to intercept a pass.

But I think you and I agree that what's needed is clearer rules more consistenly enforced. At the same time, Ward made that hit, the way he did, because that's what's expected to keep his job.

Insomniac
01-22-09, 10:58 AM
Sadly (I guess) my estimate is probably low. At the time, concussions were not take as seriously as they are now. The impact was not as understood, and not playing because you had a headache/nausea/blurred vision was discouraged. I once played most of a quarter literally unconscious. I have no memory of about 9 minutes I played after taking a head to head contact (and cracked sinus) with a receiver trying to intercept a pass.

:eek:

dando
01-22-09, 12:20 PM

But I think you and I agree that what's needed is clearer rules more consistenly enforced. At the same time, Ward made that hit, the way he did, because that's what's expected to keep his job.

That was also back in the dark ages when water was limited @ practices and salt tablets were commonly used. My uncle also played foosball in high school and college, and as a result had numerous knee surgeries before arthroscopic surgery. He has enough train tracks on his knees (now replaced twice each) to go coast to coast. It's amazing to think where we were medically ~30 years ago. :eek:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
01-22-09, 12:39 PM
That was also back in the dark ages when water was limited @ practices and salt tablets were commonly used.

Ah memories.

I want to be clear that I don't regret one day I played football and actually the longer I played the more I got out of it. I was lucky to only require arthroscopic surgery once on my knee though I broke my collar bone twice and separated/dislocated my shoulders multiple times. I also broke or dislocated everyone of my fingers at least once. But all tolled, I am not like any more broken down than most near 50 year olds.

I never prompted my kids to play football but when my youngest (9) asked this last year to play I was supportive (even though I expected him to quit day one. As it turned he absolutely loved it, even though he wasn't that good - sort of like his dad)

But I literally teared when he was given his equipment. It was so much better than what I had. Air inflated helmets, rib pad, proper facemasks, etc. -- all new.

I went to HS in the richest town in a rich state and we got only 5 new helmets a year and they went to the best starting seniors on the varsity. If you were a freshman you likely had a helmet more than 10-15 years old with padding that was completely compacted and ill fitted. We all had cuts on the bridge of our noses because the helmet would slide down on impact and bash your nose.

dando
01-22-09, 01:19 PM
But I literally teared when he was given his equipment. It was so much better than what I had. Air inflated helmets, rib pad, proper facemasks, etc. -- all new.

I went to HS in the richest town in a rich state and we got only 5 new helmets a year and they went to the best starting seniors on the varsity. If you were a freshman you likely had a helmet more than 10-15 years old with padding that was completely compacted and ill fitted. We all had cuts on the bridge of our noses because the helmet would slide down on impact and bash your nose.

No doubt. I didn't play much, and ended up using my uncle's HS equipment when I was your son's age. Needless that didn't go very well. :( Considering how scrawny I was back then (I was 6' 3" and ~140 dripping wet in HS), track and hoops were a better fit anyway. :)

-Kevin

TKGAngel
01-22-09, 01:46 PM

Yes. Audio was varying levels of loud and quiet all game, with audible clicks when the volume changed. Very annoying. I just blamed Time Warner.

dando
01-22-09, 02:00 PM
Yes. Audio was varying levels of loud and quiet all game, with audible clicks when the volume changed. Very annoying. I just blamed Time Warner.

Odd. I have TWC and didn't notice anything strange. Was this in SD or HD? Admittedly I missed a few chunks while preparing dinner.

-Kevin

nrc
01-22-09, 03:11 PM
We all had cuts on the bridge of our noses because the helmet would slide down on impact and bash your nose.

That can be from ill fitting equipment or just a whole heap of won't quit. Tim Krumrie had a pretty much a permanent cut on the bridge of his nose. Still my favorite Bengal player of all time.

dando
01-22-09, 03:27 PM
That can be from ill fitting equipment or just a whole heap of won't quit. Tim Krumrie had a pretty much a permanent cut on the bridge of his nose. Still my favorite Bengal player of all time.

Sure beats the one I hate the most.

GJFOBI1cZaM

:mad:

Watching his ankle in that game was just heinous. :eek: Munoz will always be my favorite, tho.

-Kevin

SurfaceUnits
01-22-09, 11:00 PM
Cold Hard Football Facts: Why Warner is better QB than Manning

Warner in the postseason (10 games):
230 of 360 (63.9 percent), 2,991 yards, 8.31 YPA, 299 yards per game, 23 TD, 12 INT, 97.3 passer rating.

Manning in the postseason (15 games):
348 of 565 (61.6 percent), 4,207 yards, 7.4 YPA, 280 yards per game, 22 TD, 17 INT, 84.9 passer rating.

You'll notice Warner is better than Manning in almost every single efficiency stat and has actually thrown more postseason TD passes than Manning (23 to 22) -- despite playing in five fewer games.

You'll also notice Warner's postseason passer rating (97.3) is higher than his regular-season passer rating (93.8), while Manning's postseason passer rating (84.9) is significantly lower than his regular-season passer rating (94.7).

In other words, Warner's play improves in the postseason pressure cooker. Manning's performances plummet.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/21/chff/index.html

Insomniac
01-23-09, 12:28 PM
Cold Hard Football Facts: Why Warner is better QB than Manning

Warner in the postseason (10 games):
230 of 360 (63.9 percent), 2,991 yards, 8.31 YPA, 299 yards per game, 23 TD, 12 INT, 97.3 passer rating.

Manning in the postseason (15 games):
348 of 565 (61.6 percent), 4,207 yards, 7.4 YPA, 280 yards per game, 22 TD, 17 INT, 84.9 passer rating.

You'll notice Warner is better than Manning in almost every single efficiency stat and has actually thrown more postseason TD passes than Manning (23 to 22) -- despite playing in five fewer games.

You'll also notice Warner's postseason passer rating (97.3) is higher than his regular-season passer rating (93.8), while Manning's postseason passer rating (84.9) is significantly lower than his regular-season passer rating (94.7).

In other words, Warner's play improves in the postseason pressure cooker. Manning's performances plummet.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/21/chff/index.html

I don't think it matters now that Manning has a ring.

stroker
01-31-09, 10:04 AM
Okay, everybody. It's put up or shut up time.

Let's hear some predictions for the game.

I'll take the Cardinals 27-24

OW
01-31-09, 10:34 AM
Da Cardz..... Tree ; Da Bearz.... NinedyToo DA Nutti'n

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTRCVr_4-kQ&feature=related

Andrew Longman
01-31-09, 11:32 AM
Steelers 24-21

WickerBill
01-31-09, 12:45 PM
Steelers 34-23 Cardinals

Insomniac
01-31-09, 12:56 PM
I predict Steelers 27-17, but I'm hoping for Cardinals 38-14.

Gnam
01-31-09, 02:30 PM
Super Birds 13-10 Steelers.
Kurt Warner MVP

TKGAngel
01-31-09, 03:59 PM
Pittsburgh 27-14.

And congrats to Bruce Smith and Ralph Wilson on making the HoF. Canton will be invaded by Buffalo in August, that's fer sure.

Just an FYI to all of you that Danica will be starring in two Go Daddy ads this year.

stroker
01-31-09, 04:23 PM
Just an FYI to all of you that Danica will be starring in two Go Daddy ads this year.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be sure to have a second TV available in case I reflexively throw an unopened beer through the screen.

dando
01-31-09, 04:35 PM
And congrats to Bruce Smith and Ralph Wilson on making the HoF. Canton will be invaded by Buffalo in August, that's fer sure.

Nah. oHIo i building fence. :gomer:

Steelers 21-17. I'm just happy another made into the Super Bowl b4 the Clowns. :gomer:

-Kevin