PDA

View Full Version : I am not liking Ike

Pages : 1 [2]

dando
09-12-08, 04:55 PM
mandatory evac for zones A & B went into effect yesterday.

The evac zones are based on the cat #, but the heads are calling Ike a cat 4-5 type storm. Peeps in zone C might be screwed based on the map KHOU just showed (basically flooding from Clear City down to Santa Fe on west and much of the east side of Galveston Bay).

Evac zone map:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/tropical/workshop06/HurricaneEvacuationMapzipcode.pdf

:(

They'd better get Abrams and Cantore off G-Town Isle ASAP. :eek:

-Kevin

JLMannin
09-12-08, 05:00 PM
I'm sure some people are choosing to stay beacuse it's "only a category 2 hurricane" :rolleyes:

Now thay are saying up to 22' storm surge. With 12 hours to go before landfall, I would not be suprised if the storm intensifies and the barometric pressure drops more, yielding even more storm surge.

The sheer size of this storm is astounding - hurricane force winds extending 110 miles from the eye, and tropical storm winds out to 250 miles? That makes a 500+ mile wide storm.

dando
09-12-08, 05:03 PM
I'm sure some people are choosing to stay beacuse it's "only a category 2 hurricane" :rolleyes:

Now thay are saying up to 22' storm surge. With 12 hours to go before landfall, I would not be suprised if the storm intensifies and the barometric pressure drops more, yielding even more storm surge.

The sheer size of this storm is astounding - hurricane force winds extending 110 miles from the eye, and tropical storm winds out to 250 miles? That makes a 500+ mile wide storm.

Yup. Peeps are focused on the cat #, but everyone is saying that is deceptive due to the size of Ike (~60 mile wide eye!). Also, make that 120 miles for hurricane winds and 275 for TS winds. :eek: The next 10 hours is going to be UGLY. :(

-Kevin

JLMannin
09-12-08, 05:07 PM
Yup. Peeps are focused on the cat #, but everyone is saying that is deceptive due to the size of Ike. Also, make that 120 miles for hurricane winds and 275 for TS winds. :eek: The next 10 hours is going to be UGLY. :(

-Kevin

Holy Crap :eek: That's bigger than Rita. People in the danger zone who have not yet left are in serious, seriois trouble. :(

dando
09-12-08, 05:13 PM
Holy Crap :eek: That's bigger than Rita. People in the danger zone who have not yet left are in serious, seriois trouble. :(

Amazing that the TWC peeps are still where they are. :shakehead

KHOU reported that the police chief of a beach spot just a bit S told a stranded couple to write their SSNs on their arms in black ink just in case. :(

Just caught this from the NHC forecast discussion:

ONE SHOULD EMPHASIZE THAT IKE IS A VERY LARGE HURRICANE AND
REGARDLESS OF WHERE THE CENTER OF THE HURRICANE MAKES LANDFALL...THE
EFFECTS WILL BE FELT AT LARGE DISTANCES FROM THE CENTER. IN
ADDITION...THE LARGEST STORM SURGE WILL OCCUR WITHIN THE ONSHORE
FLOW NEAR OR JUST AFTER LANDFALL. A GAGE INDICATES THAT THE WATER
LEVEL HAS ALREADY RISEN MORE THAN 9 FEET ON PART OF GALVESTON
ISLAND.

Wow.

-Kevin

SteveH
09-12-08, 05:33 PM
Just heard on the weather channel that the wind field is larger than Katrina's!

Two interesting sites
http://www.houstonhidefromthewind.org/

http://www.stormpulse.com/

If you're in the area, stay safe!!!

KLang
09-12-08, 07:12 PM
Downside of living out in the boonies, already lost power. Hopefully temporary. :\

Powering down while the UPS is still on. Switch to laptop later.

Wheel-Nut
09-12-08, 07:35 PM
I'm 80 miles as the crow flies to Freeport, I'm up 290 almost to Hockley. So far wind had picked up quite a bit, maybe 25 mph out of the north, northeast. No rain yet.

I wish this thing would make landfall during daylight and not at night.

trish
09-12-08, 08:21 PM
I wish you guys luck and will be saying a prayer for you.

RusH
09-12-08, 08:31 PM
wow....Houston has left the building.

Stay safe.

KLang
09-12-08, 09:22 PM
Wow, I am amazed. Somebody is out fixing outages tonight. :cool:

Back online for now. We've had some wind but no rain so far.

G.
09-12-08, 11:06 PM
klang, your pressure is dropping, and the gusts are up, but you know that already. (thanks for the weather station, btw. :thumbup: )

What I don't get, is stormpulse says the storm is 55 miles from Galv., 100 from Hou.

Do they measure the distance from the edge of the storm, or from the eye (it must be the edge, since this Ike mf-er is BIG)?

Again, stay safe Textards! :)

KLang
09-12-08, 11:15 PM
I have no idea how they measure the distances. I do think we're in for a long freaking night. :eek:

The wind speeds my station is reporting are likely too low. The trees are blowing around alot. The unit is mounted on a fence post. It is supposed to be much higher.

Ankf00
09-13-08, 12:02 AM
the house is going to be gone.

G.
09-13-08, 12:13 AM
the house is going to be gone.
Now's not the time to be a man of few words...

Ankf00
09-13-08, 12:26 AM
weather channel dude at the clear lake hilton across the street from the space center == good news. that hotel is at the tail of the lake, but it's no more than 2 mi from the bay

computer models of storm track, models of surge == bad news :\

Ankf00
09-13-08, 12:31 AM
greg abott talking about tough Texans. Geraldo on TV falling on his ass like a douche****.:shakehead

Ankf00
09-13-08, 01:16 AM
anyone says "Geraldo:" drink!

anyone says "surge:" drink!

anyone says "Cat 2:" drink 2x!

anyone says "Ca 3:" drink3x!

Geraldo gets swept away: finish chugging.

devilmaster
09-13-08, 01:19 AM
Geraldo gets swept away: finish chugging.

Hell, someone erect a statue in honour of hurricane ike. :rofl:

Ankf00
09-13-08, 01:29 AM
i thought the game was going to slow it down for me.

boy was i ****ing wrong.

Ankf00
09-13-08, 01:30 AM
Centerpoint sez 3/4 million out of power, 2-3 wk to get back online :\

Ankf00
09-13-08, 04:45 AM
8 ft reported tide at clear lake. w00t! **** you ike.

I think Geraldo's been lost at sea, chug!

all houston tv stations: http://flhurricane.com/ikecoverage.html

cart7
09-13-08, 07:37 AM
Cantore interviews a Galveston resident to swam 12 blocks from his flooded house to the hotel where everyone with partial sense in Galveston is holed up.

People in Port Arthur and Orange are in their attics as storm surge came up to nearly 13ft.

JLMannin
09-13-08, 08:52 AM
Cantore interviews a Galveston resident to swam 12 blocks from his flooded house to the hotel where everyone with partial sense in Galveston is holed up.

People in Port Arthur and Orange are in their attics as storm surge came up to nearly 13ft.

Did they remember to take axes and life vests? :shakehead

Ankf00
09-13-08, 11:03 AM

drive through the golden triangle and you can still see blue tarps everywhere over houses from Rita

KLang
09-13-08, 11:14 AM
Power out. Still fairly windy and only 2" of rain so far.

Lots of branches down but no damage visable from inside. :thumbup:

Laptop cell connection painfully slow.

OK for now. :thumbup:

Ankf00
09-13-08, 11:22 AM
:thumbup:

dando
09-13-08, 12:10 PM

:cool:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
09-13-08, 12:16 PM

OK for now. :thumbup: Stay dry. :thumbup: Will it really take 2-3 weeks to restore all power as they have been saying? It seems that they should transition away from overhead power lines in hurricane allys. Easier said than done, I am sure.

cart7
09-13-08, 02:11 PM
Reports from Galveston that the tribute monument to those who perished in the 1900 hurricane was completely destroyed. :eek:

dando
09-13-08, 02:38 PM
Reports from Galveston that the tribute monument to those who perished in the 1900 hurricane was completely destroyed. :eek:

It's not. I can see it in the background while Cantore is reporting from there.

-Kevin

dando
09-13-08, 02:45 PM

Now would be a good time for some canned bacon. :D

-Kevin

TKGAngel
09-13-08, 03:22 PM
Good to hear that you're doing well, KLang. Stay dry!

Will it really take 2-3 weeks to restore all power as they have been saying?

I believe it.

It took almost a week for all of WNY to get its power back after a massive snowstorm a couple years back. And that was only with about 400,000 households needing to get back on the grid.

Insomniac
09-13-08, 03:45 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/2vlvg1v.jpg

:laugh:

So that's why DirecTV slaps their logo everywhere. I know I'm watching DirecTV, you don't have to tell me over and over!

SteveH
09-14-08, 12:26 AM
How to protect your car during a hurricane.....

http://a.abclocal.go.com/images/ktrk/cms_exf_2007/news/ktrk_091208_ikeviewerRK2.jpg

:gomer:

Don Quixote
09-14-08, 12:47 AM
Calling CarFacts.com!

Cam
09-14-08, 01:00 AM

http://a.abclocal.go.com/images/ktrk/cms_exf_2007/news/ktrk_091208_ikeviewerRK2.jpg

I really hope we get to see the after pic for this one. :saywhat:

Ankf00
09-14-08, 12:55 PM
no window or shingle damage, just a torn up fence and one uprooted maple tree. supposed to be in the 90's today and then a cold front tomorrow

dando
09-14-08, 01:23 PM
Jimmy Johnson cracks on the Fox pre-game show...."Charlie Weiss needs to get that knee fixed so he can get back on that exercise program." :rofl: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
09-14-08, 01:44 PM

That looks more like Indiana tornado and hail protection :gomer:

Dave99
09-14-08, 10:16 PM
Ike and Tina Turner

http://www.sciam.com/media/inline/blog/Image/avn-l.jpg http://www.musicstars.com.ar/t/tina_turner/tina_turner1.jpg

Ankf00
09-15-08, 12:31 PM
So that's why DirecTV slaps their logo everywhere. I know I'm watching DirecTV, you don't have to tell me over and over!

AKwMiExUKXg

Ankf00
09-15-08, 12:48 PM
sat photos are up:

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/ike/IKE0000.HTM

and I found the guy I'm going to have build my house. some of his work on display here:

http://www.jakeabby.com/cb/394.jpg

http://www.jakeabby.com/cb/gilchrist3.jpg

Don Quixote
09-15-08, 01:39 PM
Wow.

Methanolandbrats
09-15-08, 03:24 PM
Building a house on a barrier island is one of the dumbest things a person can do. Of course the rest of the insurance company policy holders have to pay to clean up the mess :mad:

pchall
09-15-08, 03:54 PM
No power in Cincinnati for about 24 hours. Now it is coming back slowly in various neighborhoods. I've got a 45 year old pin oak taller than the house down in the back yard and some damage to the gutters and soffett work. Got stopped by the local cops yesterday carrying a chainsaw and a gallon of gas through the adjoining woods and properties near my sister's place to help clear limbs down over driveways and across the road in that area. Clifton got it rather worse than College Hill.

Best thing about Ike is that it spared me the second half of the Bangles game. It should have struck an hour and a half earlier. :p

Ankf00
09-15-08, 03:58 PM
Building a house on a barrier island is one of the dumbest things a person can do. Of course the rest of the insurance company policy holders have to pay to clean up the mess :mad:

don't forget the federally subsidized flood ins. of course those homes also provide a ridiculous percentage of tax revenue for the area. galveston's west end provides something like 40% city revenue. I'd guess Bolivar peninsula provides a sizeable chunk of Liberty Co.'s despite it's small size

houston ppl, centerpoint outage map by zip code: http://centerpointenergy.com/staticfiles/ike/outages.html

Ankf00
09-15-08, 04:07 PM
if I can't get that first guy to build my house, the guy who built this one will suffice

http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/ike_09_15/ike13.jpg

KLang
09-15-08, 08:34 PM
Power and water have been out since Saturday morning about 2:00.

Got the generator running Saturday morning to run the main fridge and a TV and a fan and laptop. :thumbup: to my Honda generator. First time I have had to use it and it ran like a champ.

After two days of playing lumberjack in the yard it is hard to explain just how crummy we felt. Wife and I went looking for a motel about 5:00 this afternoon.

Checked in, got cleaned up and came home to the power and water service restored. :laugh:

Thoughts go out to those much less lucky then us. :(

dando
09-15-08, 09:31 PM
Cable out about 1:30pm yesterday, power out ~5pm, phone out some time overnight. :( All has been restored by 6pm today (except cable :( :(.)...sucketh to w/o broadband, yo. :(

BTW, looks to be a war zone around here. :(

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
09-15-08, 10:31 PM
I feel really bad those people lost their homes and all their stuff, but it's just dumb to allow development in places like that. Barrier islands should be parks planted with vegetation to secure and enlarge the islands. That way they protect the bay and shoreline. Eventually there will probably be zoning along those lines. :(

Andrew Longman
09-16-08, 09:51 AM
Its not so much a zoning issue as an insurance issue. Federal flood and wind insurance is what makes this development possible. And when folks in Kansas and elsewhere see their insurance rates go up to pay for this destruction maybe the rest of the nation will be less willing to fund it.

Gnam
09-16-08, 08:04 PM
I don't disagree, but should the folks on the Gulf coast have to pay for tornado damage in Kansas, or earthquake damage in California? We can't all live in Delaware. ;)

G.
09-17-08, 05:14 PM
Alright, where's wheel_nut?

KLang
09-17-08, 05:53 PM
If the numbers can be believed, over half the city and suburbs are still powerless.

dando
09-17-08, 06:27 PM
If the numbers can be believed, over half the city and suburbs are still powerless.

I'll believe it. We still have ~200K w/o power here and we just had TS force winds. No cable or broadband here. :( Pr0n sucks on dialup. :gomer:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
09-17-08, 06:45 PM

Easy to believe. The outage maps are staggaring.

oc

Ankf00
09-17-08, 06:52 PM

From the ppl I know still w/o, map can't be too far off.

KLang
09-17-08, 07:19 PM
I didn't mean to sound like I didn't believe the numbers. I can see with my own eyes how bad it is driving back and forth from work. :(

G.
09-18-08, 12:03 PM
And looky who shows up.

:thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
09-18-08, 12:04 PM

I'm here, that was one hell of a blow and I didn't enjoy it. Sorry. I'm still without power at home and work. Although it seems everyone around me has power. :flame:

I finished off the Sam Adams Lager yesterday and had to tap into the Busch Light, send prayers. Actually my area is up and running but I thought I would give it a try. Busch Light, Peppered Beef Jerky eaten by the light of a Citronella Candle, . . . . . you might be a redneck!!! :laugh:

dando
09-18-08, 12:32 PM
Busch Light, Peppered Beef Jerky eaten by the light of a Citronella Candle, . . . . . you might be a redneck!!! :laugh:

:eek: :yuck:

I didn't think you were supposed to do that near an open flame. :gomer: ;)

R6dm9rN6oTs

:D

Hope you get yer power back soon. I'm on day 4 of no pr0nband. :( :cry:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
09-18-08, 12:36 PM
I'm here, that was one hell of a blow and I didn't enjoy it. Sorry. I'm still without power at home and work. Although it seems everyone around me has power. :flame:

I finished off the Sam Adams Lager yesterday and had to tap into the Busch Light, send prayers. Actually my area is up and running but I thought I would give it a try. Busch Light, Peppered Beef Jerky eaten by the light of a Citronella Candle, . . . . . you might be a redneck!!! :laugh:If you're drinking warm Busch Light, now would be an excellent time to quit drinking.:yuck:

trish
09-18-08, 07:31 PM
I feel really bad those people lost their homes and all their stuff, but it's just dumb to allow development in places like that. Barrier islands should be parks planted with vegetation to secure and enlarge the islands. That way they protect the bay and shoreline. Eventually there will probably be zoning along those lines. :(

I just came across an article that mentioned a Texas law that could condemn these homes and seize the land as public property. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080918/ap_on_re_us/ike_beach_houses_3

Michaelhatesfans
09-18-08, 07:52 PM
if I can't get that first guy to build my house, the guy who built this one will suffice

http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/ike_09_15/ike13.jpg

I think that's one of the ones that sits on stilts (looks like it, anyway). You've basically got a big open space at the bottom, so they convert it to garage space. A guy down in Grants Pass had a set up like that, with three garage doors on each side. A few years back when the Rogue broke it's banks he just opened up all six garage doors. The water ran in one side of his "garage" and out the other. Beats the hell out of watching your furniture float around your living room.:thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
09-18-08, 08:22 PM
:eek: :yuck:

. . . :D

Hope you get yer power back soon. I'm on day 4 of no pr0nband. :( :cry:

-Kevin

Power back on as of about 4:00pm today. The Centerpoint crew wasn't leaving the street until something happened.

So what happened while I was offline? CART failed?? WTF!! What's this irl thing about? :laugh:

Methanolandbrats -I did have ice. Warm Busch Light?? I don't know about that.

cart7
09-19-08, 10:05 PM
Saw interviews today on MSNBC weather plus with 2 idiots....er survivors who decided to ride the storm out in Crystal city on the Bolivar peninsula, the same place where those house shots are from. The first was a caretaker at a general store. The reporter was amazed that the guy was found in the second story of a stilt house. The house didn't have much more than a frame left on wobbly supports. The guy was quick to inform the reporter that he didn't start out there, he actually decided to ride the storm out in the store but when the storm got going the building collapsed and he was tossed up into the stilt house. Amazingly this guy was a long time resident. Somehow the math must have been confusing to him.

1 story building @ 6 feet above sea level and a 15 foot storm surge = water way over his head.

The second guy seemed completely oblivious. This Texan thought that riding a CAT 3 hurricane out in a mobile home located on a spit of sand was a good idea. He didn't seem really with it. Perhaps his head had been slammed repeatedly into some wood by the waves.

The sad part is both of these guys still have the potential to pro-create offspring.

I still loved the Galveston guy who claimed he rode the storm out because he figured there'd be decent waves to surf the next day. :gomer:

Michaelhatesfans
09-20-08, 01:50 AM
The sad part is both of these guys still have the potential to pro-create offspring.

And vote.

Michaelhatesfans
09-20-08, 01:52 AM
Self edit...

Ankf00
09-20-08, 01:58 AM
I still loved the Galveston guy who claimed he rode the storm out because he figured there'd be decent waves to surf the next day. :gomer:

don't hate.

chop456
09-23-08, 02:08 AM
More pics.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/09/the_short_but_eventful_life_of.html

Gnam
09-23-08, 05:14 PM
ohnoes!

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1743/hurricaneikefishfenceyo9.jpg

Don Quixote
09-23-08, 05:29 PM
:rofl:
Somebody call PETA quick!!!!!

nrc
09-24-08, 10:21 PM
We had our own excellent Ikeventure.

The good news is that much of the last week or so was spent in Vegas were we had a great time and lost less money than we expected. :D The bad news is that Ike was not our friend.

I flew out Sunday before last for VMworld (trade show) and got a good view of the remnants of Ike as we flew over. I'm not sure whether we flew right over or skirted it, the pilot never made any comment other than to expect some bumps. I think he figured it would be better to stay quiet than to worry everyone, but the flight attendants were definitely rushing out the $7 snack boxes (pass) to beat the rough patch ahead. Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as I expected.

I arrived in Vegas in time to watch the Bengals stink things up in high winds. I'm thinking their suck may have accelerated things since the rest of the state seemed to take the brunt of it.

After the game I started getting distress calls from Missy back home. Winds were trying to drag the barzebo off the deck. No sooner had she rescued it and retreated to the house than an five inch thick branch came out of the top of one of our big Maple trees, flew fifty feet across the yard and came down on top of it. Damage appears minor but the metal frame is broken in one place and buckled in two others.

Then another Maple almost two feet in diameter broke off about twenty feet up, fortunately hitting nothing but leaving the tree a goner. Finally, the same Maple that dispatched the barzebo lost an even bigger branch that ripped down our electric line. I think power was already out by then but it was clearly no got going to be back any time soon at that stage.

So there she is with the power line ripped out of the house and and the yard a shambles with plans to leave and meet me in Vegas later in the week. Joy.

The rest of the week was a race to see whether power would be on before it came time for her to leave. We were very nervous about the prospect of leaving the house unattended with the power line dangling with a tree resting on it.

Fortunately the power was back on in the neighborhood and the crew showed up to fix the feed line just a day and a half before she was scheduled to leave.

With another refrigerator full of food in the trash I suppose it's time to get serious about a generator. That's the only way to be sure we won't need one. :\

dando
09-25-08, 09:39 AM
Glad to hear y'all survived Wind Storm '08, boss. Cable finally back after a week off. :( Neighbors right behind us had cable all along (WOW vs. TWC). :saywhat: :mad:

Pre- and post-Ike pics:

http://coastal.er.usgs.gov/hurricanes/ike/photo-comparisons/bolivar.html

:eek: :(

-Kevin

devilmaster
09-25-08, 10:26 AM
ohnoes!

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1743/hurricaneikefishfenceyo9.jpg

[Monty Burns]I call it the Burns omni-net. It sweeps the sea clean.[/Monty Burns] :rofl:

Wheel-Nut
09-26-08, 10:06 AM
Here is a link to some pictures taken in Treasure Island. TI is a west end Galveston community.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SpaceUniverses/TreasureIslandIkeHurricanePhotos#

Wheel-Nut
09-26-08, 10:49 AM
This link is to a site of photos taken at the Galveston Yacht Basin.

http://69.53.105.75/gyb.html

Wheel-Nut
09-26-08, 02:49 PM
Damage to some old warbirds at the museum in Galveston. :(

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/special/07/templates/listpop.html?vid=1815758321

Gnam
09-26-08, 03:10 PM
Dang. There was a lot of water in that hanger. To bad they couldn't put the whole city on stilts.

Ankf00
09-26-08, 03:24 PM
Dang. There was a lot of water in that hanger. To bad they couldn't put the whole city on stilts.

then they'd just float away to anuahac, not exactly Splashtown USA.

yes I am going to hell, first class, direct flight.

emjaya
09-26-08, 11:17 PM
This link is to a site of photos taken at the Galveston Yacht Basin.

http://69.53.105.75/gyb.html

Weird how some boats were tossed about and others look as if they were untouched. :\

Methanolandbrats
09-26-08, 11:40 PM
Weird how some boats were tossed about and others look as if they were untouched. :\
If I lived there and had a fine boat and several days notice from the NWS, I'd sail for Florida and tie it up in a safe place.

Wheel-Nut
09-27-08, 09:38 AM
The guy I usually charter did that but he went down to Port Aransas, TX with his 32' Proline. His boat made it through but his house in Surfside has lots of damage, still standing but damaged.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2188/2354719428_454843a266_o.jpg

Wheel-Nut
09-28-08, 12:11 PM
Interesting report of stuff washing up on the beach in far south Texas. This is from one of the fishing forums I read.

before i post the following article lemmee tell you what i've seen, found, and heard about........

I picked up everything from lures, popping corks, to mooring bouys off the beach last Friday and it's still rolling in............... steps to balconeys, bannister railings, doors, refrigerators, wet/dry vacs galore, you-name-it! (and oh yeah!, a hot tub or two)

lots of furniture and new lumber too

heard that on thursday a couple boys saw 4 wheels bobbin' in the surf........ they when out a drug in a new 4-wheeler that would still turn over and didn't even get any water in the gas tank

i even saw a v-bottom aluminum boat being hauled out friday too and picked up the DVD of 'Kill Bill'........... too much stuff for someone as-lazy-as me to try and list here

anyway, here's the article from the SPI Breeze.......

Beach erosion, debris from Ike affecting beaches

First it was the storm surge. Now it’s a surge of debris.

Hurricane Ike is still having an impact on South Padre Island.

It’s been two weeks since Ike slammed into the upper Texas coast, washing away homes on Galveston Island and the Bolivar Peninsula.

The debris field, quickly swept out to sea, is now making its way south through the Gulf of Mexico and washing up along beaches from Corpus Christi to South Padre Island.

Deputy Director of Cameron County Parks and Recreation Joe Vega said the majority of the debris washing up at Isla Blanca Park are plastic bottles and cans, but says larger items like refrigerators and wooden palettes have been found on the north end of the Island.

Refrigerators have also been seen on town beaches, as well as telephone poles, parts of piers and sides of houses with the windows still attached, said Gary Ainsworth, public information officer for the town of South Padre Island. He says although the town has had front loaders cleaning the beaches since Monday, visitors should expect the debris to continue washing up.

“There is a large debris field a couple miles wide sitting offshore,” Ainsworth said. “We are doing everything we can, as soon as we can to clean the beaches, but we’re asking people to be careful when they’re walking on the beach and if they see any hazardous debris, to please call the city.”

The Corpus Christi area has been cleaning up as much as 100 tons of debris a day from Coastal Bend beaches.

“People could do furniture shopping out here,” Padre Island National Seashore Park Ranger Chelsea Aldrich said, adding that entire sides of houses with electrical fixtures still intact are washing up.

Petty Officer Mike Schiltz of Coast Guard Station South Padre Island reported seeing washers, dryers, coolers and even a hot tub in the offshore debris field and he expects to see more in the upcoming days.

The estimated 6-foot storm surge from Hurricane Ike that pushed up tides and roiled the surf along the Island is being blamed for significant erosion on both town and county beaches.

“It’s pretty obvious the storm surge has eroded a lot of our dunes,” said Vega, who is applying for a grant with the state’s Impact Assistance Program so the county parks department can implement an emergency erosion response plan.

“We need coastal engineers who are experts in dune restoration to help us with the plan and conduct a feasibility study,” Vega said.

In an attempt to protect town beaches, Island work crews are using the large amounts of seaweed washing ashore to reinforce dunes. Front loaders remove the smelly seaweed from the beach, pushing it into the dunes where it helps stabilize the sand.

Wheel-Nut
09-30-08, 02:56 PM
Hooters Galveston Before -

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109&d=1221243849
and After

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Wheel-Nut/gtownhooters.jpg

dando
09-30-08, 06:36 PM
Hooters Galveston Before -

and After

:eek:

Luckily the wait staff had their own personal flotation devices. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
10-03-08, 10:20 AM
Hundreds of photos of Ike's aftermath.

http://www.tpicks.com/pictures%20people%20have%20sent%20me.html

dando
10-03-08, 02:19 PM
Still ~300 peeps MIA. :(

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/02/ike.missing/index.html

-Kevin