PDA

View Full Version : Pirates!

Pages : 1 [2]

Don Quixote
12-04-08, 05:37 PM
What about the actual pirates? No guidence from the UN on what to do with them? :irked:

Harsh words? I don't think it's bad enough yet to use harsh words. I think you have to start with understanding looks, and then tearful begging.

STD
12-04-08, 05:37 PM
Still no action by the ARPCT?
One can only wonder. :shakehead

KLang
12-04-08, 05:43 PM
Armed tourists is the answer. Somebody could make a fortune.

oddlycalm
12-04-08, 06:10 PM
Armed tourists is the answer. Somebody could make a fortune.
Or armed cruises. :D Come cruise the Gulf of Aden for 7 days and 6 nights in our luxury armored high speed ship and enjoy blowing pirates out of the water with large caliber weapons. Choose from the .50 cal sniper rifle class, the M134 mini gun class or 40mm Bofors class cruise. All training and ammunition included, prices starting at $15,000.00 based on double occupancy...

oc

SteveH
12-04-08, 06:32 PM
Or armed cruises. :D Come cruise the Gulf of Aden for 7 days and 6 nights in our luxury armored high speed ship and enjoy blowing pirates out of the water with large caliber weapons. Choose from the .50 cal sniper rifle class, the M134 mini gun class or 40mm Bofors class cruise. All training and ammunition included, prices starting at $15,000.00 based on double occupancy...

oc

That's tempting. Is that all inclusive?

hmmmm........ ;)

Ankf00
12-04-08, 06:34 PM

oc

in.

Don Quixote
12-04-08, 06:50 PM
Can I upgrade to clusterbombs?

oddlycalm
12-04-08, 06:59 PM
That's tempting. Is that all inclusive?
Everything but your bar tab...:D

oc

TravelGal
12-04-08, 07:13 PM
All joking aside, OC's idea would sell out in a New York minute. What a great idea, paperwork and insurance aside, of course. :D

KLang
12-04-08, 08:28 PM
Or armed cruises. :D oc

That was what I meant but didn't have time to post properly. Our network admin got canned and now I have to learn that job too. :mad: Too old for this crap ;)

nrc
12-04-08, 08:57 PM
Lethal force to repel boarders? Someone had better get a memo off to Greenpeace.

G.
12-04-08, 11:04 PM
Lethal force to repel boarders? Someone had better get a memo off to Greenpeace.
That upgrade will cost ya extra!

Methanolandbrats
12-04-08, 11:20 PM

oc That would be fun.........unless the pirates somehow captured the tourists, then it would really, really, really suck.

Gnam
12-05-08, 02:10 AM
This would have made a much better plot for Speed 2: Cruise Control. :p

See, Sandra Bullock can't slow down because she's being chased by Pirates!

oddlycalm
12-05-08, 03:44 PM
That was what I meant but didn't have time to post properly. Our network admin got canned and now I have to learn that job too. :mad: Too old for this crap ;)
Great idea, I just had some fun with it while you were tied up with work...:gomer: Sorry to hear about the admin absence. I got a feeling a lot of us will spend wearing additional hats during the next couple years. :irked:

oc

stroker
12-05-08, 09:37 PM
y'know, on a purely personal observation, if I were sailing my boat, steaming my ship, whatever, if some a-hole starts approaching me and making moves to board my ship I'm dispensing all the 308 Win I've got, as accurately as I can.

I just don't get this squeamishness about capping pirates. Just don't get it.

cameraman
12-06-08, 01:15 AM
You really want to put that 308 up against say a 20mm cannon and RPGs:eek:

eiregosod
12-06-08, 08:44 AM
Somali Pirates to acquire Citigroup
December 2, 2008 – 5:57 pm

November, 2008 (Bloomberg) — The Somali pirates, renegade Somalis known for hijacking ships for ransom in the Gulf of Aden, are negotiating a purchase of Citigroup.

The pirates would buy Citigroup with new debt and their existing cash stockpiles, earned from hijacking numerous ships, including most recently a $100 million Saudi Arabian oil tanker. The Somali pirates are offering up to $0.10 per share for Citigroup, pirate spokesman Sugule Ali said earlier today. The negotiations have entered the final stage, Ali said. ”You may not like our price, but we are not in the business of paying for things. Be happy we are in the mood to offer the shareholders anything,” said Ali.

The pirates will finance part of the purchase by selling new Pirate Ransom Backed Securities. The PRBS’s are backed by the cash flows from future ransom payments from hijackings in the Gulf of Aden. Moody’s and S&P have already issued a AAA investment grade rating for the PRBS’s.

Head pirate, Ubu Kalid Shandu, said “We need a bank so that we have a place to keep all of our ransom money. Thankfully, the dislocations in the capital markets have allowed us to purchase Citigroup at an attractive valuation and to take advantage of TARP capital to grow the business even faster.”

Shandu added, “We don’t call ourselves pirates. We are coast guards and this will just allow us to guard our coasts better.”

STD
12-06-08, 12:19 PM
^^:laugh::rofl:

Seems fitting doesn't it? Pirates stickin' together.
A good home for the freshly Presidental pardoned 80's S and L crowd as well.

eiregosod
12-06-08, 02:00 PM
^^:laugh::rofl:

Seems fitting doesn't it? Pirates stickin' together.
A good home for the freshly Presidental pardoned 80's S and L crowd as well.

The S&L bailout worked the first time, why not go for seconds :tony:
maybe they are behind the pirate raids ;)

CITI IN TALKS WITH SOMALI PIRATES FOR POSSIBLE CAPITAL INFUSION

WILL REQUIRE ALL CITI EMPLOYEES TO WEAR PATCH OVER ONE EYE

SOMALIAN PIRATES APPLY TO BECOME BANK TO ACCESS TARP

PAULSON: TARP PIRATE EQUITY IS AN “INVESTMENT”, WILL PAY OFF

KASHKARI SAYS “SOMALI PIRATES ARE ‘FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND’”

MOODY’S UPGRADE SOMALI PIRATES TO AAA

HUD SAYS SOMALI DHOW FORECLOSURE PROGRAM HAD “VERY LOW” PARTICPATION *

FED OFFICIALS: AGGRESSIVE EASING WOULD CUT SOMALI PIRATE RISK

FED AGREED TODAY TO TAKE “WHATEVER STEPS” NEEDED FOR SOMALI PIRATES

stroker
12-07-08, 12:09 AM
You really want to put that 308 up against say a 20mm cannon and RPGs:eek:

If I was stupid enough to let them get within range and I'm not fast enough to get away WTF else am I going to do?

TravelGal
12-08-08, 01:17 PM
Today's Tidbit from the Association of Retail Travel Agents:

German Navy Thwarts Pirate Attack
The German Navy thwarted a suspected attack on a German cruise ship bound for Dubai in the Gulf of Aden a couple of weeks ago. The military vessel chased off two pirate boats with warning shots. The pirates never got closer than three miles and the ship was not aware of them. The incident took place days before the attempt on the Oceania Nautica. There have been three reported incidents on pirate attacks on cruise ships in the last two weeks, none of them successful. However this raises the possibility of an increase in cruise insurance, at least for those ships sailing in the area. Travel insurance companies said they would not boost rates for passengers but cruise lines travelling in the area would likely see some increases. Cruise ships are in a better position to repel boarders as they have much higher sides, making it harder for the pirates to throw hooks over the side and board. They also have hundreds more staff and are much faster than merchant boats.

Gnam
12-09-08, 05:17 PM
German cruise ship scared out of the water.

courtesy: sfgate.com

A German cruise ship plans to evacuate passengers in Yemen and fly them to the next port of call Wednesday to avoid any possible encounters with pirates off the coast of lawless Somalia.

The M/S Columbus, on an around-the-world trip that began in Italy, will drop off its 246 passengers Wednesday at the Yemeni port of Hodeidah before sailing through the gulf, the Hapag-Lloyd cruise company said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/12/06/international/i210100S95.DTL&tsp=1

How long before there's a summit with the pirate captains at the U.N.? :gomer:

TravelGal
12-09-08, 07:26 PM
Ask and you shall receive:

United Nations To Intervene in Piracy Problems Off Somalia Coast
The United Nations announced yesterday it will convene a two-day international conference in Nairobi to discuss the rampant piracy off the coast of Somalia. Kenya will be the host for the conference set to begin tomorrow, when technical experts will discuss the issue. On December 11, some 140 representatives from 40 countries will attend a ministerial-level meeting. Last week the UN called upon all countries and regional organizations, with the capacity to deploy naval ships and military aircraft off the Somalia coast, to fight piracy because the acts of piracy are impeding UN efforts to feed millions of hungry civilians in the strife-torn country. The UN is acting under Chapter V11 of the UN Charter authorizing the use of force. The 15 member Security Council called for the seizure and disposition of boats, vessels, arms and other related equipment used or suspected of being used for piracy. The EU is currently holding Operation Atalanta in the Gulf of Aden, a anti-piracy task force seeking to protect merchant ships from pirate attacks.

trish
12-19-08, 06:26 PM
Chinese approach to fighting off pirates (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/piracy/3849969/Chinese-ship-uses-Molotov-cocktails-to-fight-off-Somali-pirates.html)

Gnam
12-19-08, 08:59 PM
needs more kung-fu. :p

STD
12-20-08, 12:22 PM
Wait until they figure the profit margins the Somali pirates are running up.

http://media.acmeanimation.org/Media/1280/08e72ce9-727a-477d-9d46-abb9f8340cb7/pirateships_v1.jpg

Gnam
01-09-09, 10:03 PM
7 ships in 12 days seized off Somali coast.
Who knew you could steal a super tanker?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/11/18/international/i063658S03.DTL&tsp=1

Piratical Plan Phor Profit:
1. Hijack Supertanker
2. Demand $25 million ransom
3. Wait (2) months
4. Accept $3 million
5. Get away in small boat
6. Don't fight with partners and sink boat.

So close...:laugh:
Story (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1110585/Pictured-The-moment-3million-ransom-parachuted-Somali-pirates.html)

pchall
01-09-09, 10:25 PM
So, we all get together and buy a SeaRay, vacation off the coast of Somalia for a month, and resurrect Champ Car on the proceeds?

:D

Insomniac
01-11-09, 01:21 PM
So, we all get together and buy a SeaRay, vacation off the coast of Somalia for a month, and resurrect Champ Car on the proceeds?

Until you're mistaken for a pirate ship and blown up. ;)

chop456
04-08-09, 06:27 AM
Somali pirates have hijacked a Danish-owned container ship with a 21-strong American crew on board, officials say.

The US-operated 17,000 tonne vessel, named as Maersk Alabama, was seized in the Indian Ocean about 400 miles (645 km) east of the capital, Mogadishu.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7989474.stm

400 miles off the coast?

Wheel-Nut
04-08-09, 09:31 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7989474.stm

400 miles off the coast?

Mothership operation.

dando
04-08-09, 10:27 AM
I saw some pirates recently...@ WDW, matey! ;)

-Kevin

dando
04-08-09, 01:01 PM
Die Hard 5:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/08/ship.hijacked/index.html

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Crew members of a U.S.-flagged ship have regained control of the vessel from pirates who seized it, a Pentagon official said Wednesday.

:cool:

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
04-08-09, 02:45 PM
Die Hard 5:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/08/ship.hijacked/index.html

:thumbup: :thumbup:

:cool:

-Kevin

YES!! :thumbup:

I still don't understand how the pirates get control of a freighter. With armed security onboard it would be too easy to pick them off as they come over the rail.

KLang
04-08-09, 03:55 PM
YES!! :thumbup:

I still don't understand how the pirates get control of a freighter. With armed security onboard it would be too easy to pick them off as they come over the rail.

The current story (http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/08/ship.hijacked/index.html) says the crew was not armed. No mention of security either.

I can't believe they haven't started arming the crew or hiring security. This has been going on for quite a while.

Gnam
04-08-09, 04:11 PM
Anything is possible. One time some guys hijacked a battleship without any resistance, and the cook had to save everybody.

Wheel-Nut
04-08-09, 04:48 PM
Anything is possible. One time some guys hijacked a battleship without any resistance, and the cook had to save everybody.

and don't forget about that time he was on that train . . . .

dando
04-08-09, 04:58 PM

http://www.funkapel.nl/images_interview/erika.jpg

-Kevin

KLang
04-08-09, 05:47 PM
:thumbup:

Don't think I've seen her in anything else since that movie.

dando
04-08-09, 05:57 PM

Don't think I've seen her in anything else since that movie.

She was in some other bimbo flick shortly after Under Siege (Chasers?), but then she fell off a cliff....prolly still living off ET residuals.

-Kevin

dando
04-12-09, 04:43 PM
GO SEALS!!!1!!1!!!!1

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D97H4B680&show_article=1

MOMBASA, Kenya (AP) - An American ship captain was freed unharmed Sunday and three of the pirates who held him for days in a lifeboat off the Somali coast were killed in a operation by U.S. Navy Seals that was approved by President Barack Obama, officials said.

Capt. Richard Phillips' crew, who said they had escaped after he offered himself as a hostage, erupted in cheers aboard their ship docked in Mombasa, Kenya. Some waved an American flag and fired a flare in celebration.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :cool:

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-12-09, 07:23 PM
GO SEALS!!!1!!1!!!!1

-Kevin

But a note to the headline writer: Firefight != Snipers

oddlycalm
04-12-09, 08:39 PM
GO SEALS!!!1!!1!!!!1

Seals 3 + 1 captured vs creeps 0 :thumbup: Night shooting on rolling seas = serious business.

oc

G.
04-12-09, 10:46 PM

But a note to the headline writer: Firefight != Snipers
Well, they said it was swift.

Very cool. Could have went a different way.

emjaya
04-12-09, 11:19 PM
GO SEALS!!!1!!1!!!!1

-Kevin

:\

Pirates are holding about a dozen ships with more than 200 crew members, according to the Malaysia-based piracy watchdog International Maritime Bureau.

Let's hope the outcome is as good for all the others being held, now that the stakes have been raised.

Don't get me wrong, I think a visit to a few pirate bases by a multi-national fleet in a bit of gunboat diplomacy is well over due; but now that it has turned into a shooting war, lets make sure the right people are being shot.

KLang
04-13-09, 09:08 AM
multi-national fleet

There is already one there but the UN won't let them do anything usefull.

The actions taken by the US and France are probably against the rules. :irked:

oddlycalm
04-13-09, 09:13 PM
lets make sure the right people are being shot.

Right. The creeps that bankroll these operations would be a good start. People keep talking as if Somali coastal villagers came up with the money for motherships, sat nav, satellite phones, shipping schedules, etc. Very likely some right pricks from somewhere else are behind most of it. Get rid of them, either legally or by mysterious accident, and save everyone a lot of time and money.

oc

eiregosod
04-14-09, 07:08 AM
:\

Let's hope the outcome is as good for all the others being held, now that the stakes have been raised.

Don't get me wrong, I think a visit to a few pirate bases by a multi-national fleet in a bit of gunboat diplomacy is well over due; but now that it has turned into a shooting war, lets make sure the right people are being shot.

who knows what'll happen now.... lite da foos

---------------------------------

that multi billion dollar training for the Seals really paid off . Watch out when the Seals come knocking when you pirated the latest Hollwood DVD :tony:

the real reason is that proper Islamic govermnet canot be allowed to exist in Somalia, then add in all the dumping of nuclear waste* that kills off their fish stocks and wonder who the bad guys really are :tony:

* its been widely reported thoughsearching on breibart might prove fruitless

STD
04-14-09, 11:04 AM
Might start by looking for the fools that have no clue they have been bankrolling and arming the whole deal all along.
Warlords are having a great time.
Just with a little collateral damage.

coolhand
04-19-09, 03:01 AM
NATO, the UN and the rest of the "international law" crowd have no legal framework for dealing with detained pirates. The Dutch just let 7 pirates go due to the rules

This is where all the GWOT hand ringing about "illegal detention and military tribunals" will start to hurt

eiregosod
04-19-09, 07:13 AM
NATO, the UN and the rest of the "international law" crowd have no legal framework for dealing with detained pirates. The Dutch just let 7 pirates go due to the rules

This is where all the GWOT hand ringing about "illegal detention and military tribunals" will start to hurt

nyarrrrrrrrrrrrrr

KLang
04-19-09, 10:41 AM

Just shoot them.

Wheel-Nut
04-19-09, 11:43 AM
Just shoot them.

Or make them walk the plank.

Seriously, just make them disappear. :thumbup:

FTG
04-19-09, 11:53 AM

I suspect it started hurting when we started smashing faces into cement walls.

Michaelhatesfans
10-08-09, 02:46 AM
:rofl:

Looks like the Somali pirates could use some spotters guides...

"Avast ye - oh ****!!!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8294858.stm

KLang
10-08-09, 06:35 AM
Although the international naval forces have stepped up patrols in the Gulf of Aden this year, relatively few of the pirates detained have faced trial because of the legal complexities involved.

:irked:

Elmo T
10-08-09, 07:59 AM
Although the international naval forces have stepped up patrols in the Gulf of Aden this year, relatively few of the pirates detained have faced trial because of the legal complexities involved.

I know nothing about the laws of the high seas, but a quick google search and this pops up from the UN. I guess seems clear, but clearly there is far more to it.

PART VII - HIGH SEAS (http://www.un.org/Depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/part7.htm)

Article105

Seizure of a pirate ship or aircraft

On the high seas, or in any other place outside the jurisdiction of any State, every State may seize a pirate ship or aircraft, or a ship or aircraft taken by piracy and under the control of pirates, and arrest the persons and seize the property on board. The courts of the State which carried out the seizure may decide upon the penalties to be imposed, and may also determine the action to be taken with regard to the ships, aircraft or property, subject to the rights of third parties acting in good faith.

nrc
10-08-09, 10:56 AM

"Avast ye - oh ****!!!"

Maybe they just believed all the French surrender jokes. :D

dando
10-08-09, 11:00 AM

"Avast ye - oh ****!!!"

French navy ship and harmless cargo vessel...seems like a match. France surrenders! :gomer:

-Kevin

emjaya
05-11-10, 07:32 PM
Note to Pirates: Don't mess with the Ruskies!

Pirates who seized Russian tanker most likely perished

11.05.2010, 12.11

MOSCOW, May 11 (Itar-Tass) - The pirates who seized the Moscow University Tanker in the Gulf of Aden have been unable to reach the shore, according to the latest reports, and mostly likely have perished, a high-placed Defense Ministry official told reporters.

http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?NewsID=15112461&PageNum=0

More details.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/captured-somali-pirates-dead-russia/story-e6frfku0-1225865290897

oddlycalm
05-11-10, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=emjaya;275783]Note to Pirates: Don't mess with the Ruskies![QUOTE]
Right, the Russians don't historically show a lot of concern over the rights of those that cross them.

On September 30, 1985 four Soviet diplomats were kidnapped in Beirut and Arkady Katkov was shot in the head by Hezbollah's head of security, Imad Mughniyeh. The Soviets gave the kidnappers 48 hours to return the hostages and dispatched some guys they call Spetsgruppa A (Alfa Group).

The kidnappers and their relatives were identified by supporting KGB operatives working with the Druze militia, and some of the eldest sons were taken hostage. Following the standard policy of 'no negotiation', Alfa proceeded to sever some of their hostages' body parts (among them a head and some testicles) and sent them to the perpetrators with a warning that more would follow if the Russian hostages were not released immediately. The tactic worked and no other Russian national was taken hostage in the Middle East for the next 20 years, until the 2006 abduction of Russian diplomats in Iraq.

My guess is that word will get around quickly with the Somali pirates when it comes to Russian ships as well.

oc

nrc
01-25-12, 12:34 PM
Two hostages safe and a dozen less Somali thugs to worry about. :thumbup:

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20120125/D9SG1USO3.html

Methanolandbrats
01-25-12, 01:15 PM
Sure takes some attachments to parachute into a camp full of drugged up cannibals.:thumbup:

Gnam
01-25-12, 02:06 PM
Nice. :thumbup:

They should use the pirates to clear the mine fields. "Start walking."

dando
01-25-12, 11:21 PM
Damn. Another thread where I scroll up and see a post from oc. :(

-Kevin

Opposite Lock
10-28-13, 01:03 PM
Britney Spears Music Used To Scare Off Somali Pirates (http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/10/28/Britney-Spears-Music-Used-To-Scare-Off-Somali-Pirates)

Rachel Owens, 34, a merchant navy officer on huge super tankers off the east coast of Africa says music is a really effective way of deterring the pirates and their high-speed skiffs: “Her songs have been chosen by the security team accompanying our tankers because they thought the pirates would hate them most. These guys can’t stand Western culture or music, making Britney’s hits perfect.”

According to Rachel, the blasting of Britney's music can be specifically targeted as well: “The speakers can be aimed solely at the pirates so as not to disturb the crew. They’re so effective the ship’s security rarely needs to resort to firing guns - as soon as the pirates get a blast of Britney they move on as quickly as they can.”

Steven Jones, of the Security Association for the Maritime Industry, said the US police and military were the first to use music to deter potential raiders. Subsequently, the tactic was adopted by cruise ships and merchant navy vessels to scare off pirates. “I’d imagine using Justin Bieber would be against the Geneva Convention,” Jones said.

G.
10-28-13, 02:53 PM
Britney Spears Music Used To Scare Off Somali Pirates (http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/10/28/Britney-Spears-Music-Used-To-Scare-Off-Somali-Pirates)

I'm pretty sure this is a tongue-in-cheek report.

I believe that they use sound weapons for close in, before they resort to live fire.

It's an effective non-lethal weapon.

TravelGal
10-29-13, 10:18 AM
I'm pretty sure this is a tongue-in-cheek report.

Well the Justin Bieber comment made me laugh. Or they could us Barry Manilow to lull them into a stupor before they got close to the ship they were trying to attack.