PDA

View Full Version : Saturday '09

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

dando
12-21-09, 10:42 AM
Letter to LA Times from guy that owns the Land Rover that McKnight was driving. Veeeerrrrrrryyyyyy credible explanation.

oh brother (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/12/joe-mcknight-story-was-rushed-santa-monica-businessman-says.html)

Clearly the sharpest knife in the drawer. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Don Quixote
12-24-09, 01:25 PM
Hey, how 'bout that Mountain West Conference? Wyoming, BYU and Utah all with the win. :cool: :thumbup:

Gnam
12-24-09, 02:23 PM
Utah 37 - Cal 27.

I fear for Coach Jeff Tedford's job. He's easily the best thing to happen to Cal's program in 20 years, but after this season the long knives are being sharpened.

Ankf00
12-24-09, 03:01 PM
would help if Tedford would teach Kevin Riley the meaning of the "forward pass."

dando
12-27-09, 01:09 AM
So where's Goterboy when Urbanwarfare steps down? :gomer: :eek:

-Kevin

dando
12-28-09, 07:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4776848

Add Mike Leach to the list of dumb @ss coaches (allegedy). :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
12-29-09, 10:11 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4776848

Add Mike Leach to the list of dumb @ss coaches (allegedy). :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin
I guess they take their football serious down there. :shakehead

dando
01-01-10, 01:31 PM
http://www.tackyt.com/images/graphics/duckseasoncopy.jpg

:D

-Kevin

dando
01-01-10, 04:08 PM
NW - Auburn :saywhat: :shakehead :eek:

And then the Gatorade dump happens during the post-game interview. :laugh:

-Kevin

Elmo T
01-01-10, 06:10 PM
NW - Auburn :saywhat: :shakehead :eek:

And then the Gatorade dump happens during the post-game interview. :laugh:

-Kevin

I thought Penn State was headed to a similar finish. :saywhat:

It wasn't pretty, but it was a win. :thumbup:

dando
01-01-10, 06:19 PM
I thought Penn State was headed to a similar finish. :saywhat:

It wasn't pretty, but it was a win. :thumbup:

That field was insane. Good time not to be in WDW. ;)

-Kevin

Don Quixote
01-01-10, 09:37 PM
O - H

nrc
01-01-10, 09:42 PM
O - H

I - O!

The Buckeyes may have finally found a quarterback today.

The tallest dwarves stood tall today! :D

Ankf00
01-01-10, 09:47 PM
"Tim's just great for every young person in the world" -Urban

:rofl:

dando
01-01-10, 10:27 PM
The tallest dwarves stood tall today! :D

Where have I heard/read that b4? ;)

GO BUCKS!/WHO DEY!

:)

-Kevin

dando
01-01-10, 10:28 PM
O - H

<still trying to locate his kiddies>

:p :D

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-01-10, 10:35 PM
If Northwestern could kick a ball, the Bigish 11 would have been 3-0 today.

dando
01-01-10, 10:56 PM
Big lEast fans: STFU. :saywhat: :shakehead :laugh:

-Kevin

Ankf00
01-02-10, 04:40 AM
meh.

Thursday needs to get here sooner.

dando
01-02-10, 11:33 AM
O - H

Those stats are amazing. +23 in ToP? :eek: 4 FGs made it into a game...otherwise, we beat them by 3 TDs. :( So did Pasadena survive your kids? ;)

-Kevin

Ankf00
01-02-10, 04:59 PM
that Rose Bowl was alright, I guess...

ours were more fun :D

Ankf00
01-03-10, 02:11 AM
Ruffin just called out Leach all sneaky-like in the post-game interview :laugh:

dando
01-03-10, 11:20 AM
Ruffin just called out Leach all sneaky-like in the post-game interview :laugh:

Leach is a slimeball, but he'll make a fine OC somewhere....perhaps Tampa Bay. :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
01-04-10, 05:01 AM
slimeballs dont maintain the level of graduation rate that he does. he's an arrogant ass, but slimeball is better left for nieuheisels and stoopses

Don Quixote
01-04-10, 05:21 PM
'ckin eh!

Don Quixote
01-04-10, 05:22 PM
slimeballs dont maintain the level of graduation rate that he does. he's an arrogant ass, but slimeball is better left for nieuheisels and stoopses They asked him if he would have done anything different, and he said not that he could think of. :shakehead

Don Quixote
01-04-10, 10:45 PM
Big Ten refs calling the Fiesta Bowl. :shakehead :shakehead
TCU defender just got called for pass interference for getting pulled down by his jersey by the BSU player. :thumdown:

Ankf00
01-04-10, 11:55 PM
'ckin eh!

thankfully by now the groundcrew has updated the end zone paint for the real bowl game :D

Don Quixote
01-05-10, 12:40 AM
thankfully by now the groundcrew has updated the end zone paint for the real bowl game :D
Jerk. :p

dando
01-05-10, 01:02 AM
Roll Tide!

Fixed. :D

-Kevin

Ankf00
01-05-10, 06:18 PM
less than 24 hours till we're on the road.

[marv] YES!!!![/albert]

dando
01-05-10, 06:24 PM
less than 24 hours till we're on the road.

[marv] YES!!!![/albert]

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/deadspin/2008/08/Roll_Tide_with_pitchers_of_beer_01.JPG

:gomer:

-Kevin

nrc
01-05-10, 06:48 PM
Why are they holding pitchers of urine?

Don Quixote
01-05-10, 06:56 PM
It's a sign of ubermanhood in 'bama to drink urine before a big game. :gomer:

Ankf00
01-05-10, 09:27 PM

when the median IQ of a state lies below 80, I choose the "ignorance is bliss" path to understanding & life

dando
01-05-10, 09:44 PM

Stupid boss....that's recycled beer. Sheesh! :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Don Quixote
01-05-10, 09:57 PM
looking like an I-Oh-Way beatdown.

Don Quixote
01-05-10, 10:01 PM
Drew Tate just threw a pick 6. :thumdown:

WickerBill
01-06-10, 07:23 AM
Don't look now, but the Big Televen did pretty darn well in the bowls this year. But I doubt we hear much about it from ESPN, unlike how they crow about it when the Big Ten has a bad bowl season.

nrc
01-06-10, 10:24 AM
The press hates it when the reality doesn't match the story that they want to write.

dando
01-06-10, 10:28 AM
Don't look now, but the Big Televen did pretty darn well in the bowls this year. But I doubt we hear much about it from ESPN, unlike how they crow about it when the Big Ten has a bad bowl season.

And two of the three they lost could easily have been victories.

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-06-10, 10:30 AM
And two of the three they lost could easily have been victories.

-Kevin

Yeah, no kidding -- Big 10 needs to look into better recruitment of kickers.

dando
01-06-10, 10:47 AM
And now for the silliest part of bowl season...why in the world the GMAC bowl is being played in the midst of the BC$ bowls. Dumb. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
01-06-10, 10:53 AM
...why in the world the GMAC bowl is being played?

-Kevin

Fixed it fer ya ;)

Don Quixote
01-06-10, 11:04 AM
Seriously, even given the bad matchup, does GMAC even have any money to buy these naming rights and advertising, or is this just more of our tax money at work?

Ankf00
01-06-10, 11:42 AM
well the naming rights are generally multi-year contracts so they're probably tied into it

Andrew Longman
01-06-10, 12:11 PM
Seriously, even given the bad matchup, does GMAC even have any money to buy these naming rights and advertising...

Is there anyone left in Detroit, let alone with money for a ticket, to go to this game?

dando
01-06-10, 12:29 PM
Is there anyone left in Detroit, let alone with money for a ticket, to go to this game?

Even more curious, the game is being played in Mobile. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
01-06-10, 01:10 PM
Even more curious, the game is being played in Mobile. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Doy. Shows how wrapped up I am in the game. :gomer:

Don Quixote
01-06-10, 01:44 PM
I hear that Troy travels well. Not so sure about Central Mich. :gomer:

dando
01-06-10, 01:51 PM
I hear that Troy travels well. Not so sure about Central Mich. :gomer:

Their coaches certainly do. :gomer:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
01-06-10, 11:44 PM
my apologies to troy and cm. Great game!!!!!!!!

dando
01-07-10, 09:30 PM
Go Tie! Go Tie! Go Tie! :gomer:

(just thankful the game is not on Fox)

-Kevin

dando
01-07-10, 09:35 PM
A night flyover. :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
01-07-10, 09:35 PM
Am I the only one that's getting a little sick of Herbstreit? I think the guy is trying too hard, and I suspect him of practicing his pensive and thoughtful facial expressions in front of the mirror. That is all. Hookem Horns!

dando
01-07-10, 09:43 PM
:saywhat:

dando
01-07-10, 10:27 PM
Got QB? :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
01-07-10, 10:42 PM
that Rose Bowl was alright, I guess...

ours were more fun :D

Not so much. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
01-07-10, 10:49 PM
Got defense?

Not so much. :irked:

WickerBill
01-08-10, 10:24 AM
Well, I guess I'll talk about it.

Alabama won.

Alabama looked far more vulnerable than I expected them to look. I couldn't believe that, while McCoy was in, Texas was picking up 4-6 yards on sweeps. Texas just appeared to be able to negate Bama's size and strength with speed, which is weird because they really haven't been able to do that to anyone else this year.

Of course, once McCoy got injured, Alabama was able to really attack the running game. That Alabama still gave up two passing TDs to an 18 year old told me that McCoy could have absolutely dominated the game.

The shovel pass was a dumb idea, yes, but seriously, who expects a shovel pass to get batted into the air? Ugh.

I hope McCoy turns into Joe Montana. He will be drafted in a similar draft position that Montana did, and the question marks about his game are eerily similar to those Joe had when he came out -- arm strength, body strength, and size. But he also has the things Montana had: he's very accurate, he has good pocket awareness, and he's really smart.

Unless he gets drafted by Oakland.

Don Quixote
01-08-10, 10:39 AM
Just my opinion, but no way Alabama wins that game without the injury. Texas would have scored more, made less mistakes, and would have kept the ball away from Alabama's running game. This game leaves a bad taste in the mouth, and the win gets an asterisk in my book. Did you see Saban's reaction when they dumped the gatorade on him? Boy that guy is fun. :thumdown:

dando
01-08-10, 12:06 PM
Just my opinion, but no way Alabama wins that game without the injury. Texas would have scored more, made less mistakes, and would have kept the ball away from Alabama's running game. This game leaves a bad taste in the mouth, and the win gets an asterisk in my book. Did you see Saban's reaction when they dumped the gatorade on him? Boy that guy is fun. :thumdown:

Saban is a prick for sure. :saywhat: :thumdown:

Texas didn't take advantage of the early 'bama mistakes. Game. So I assume yer still :cry: over losing Ginn in the '06 championship? :gomer: Odd thing is that it just didn't seem like that big of a hit to take him out. McBoy is a bit injury prone...I just don't see him making it in the NFL.

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-08-10, 12:30 PM
McBoy is a bit injury prone...I just don't see him making it in the NFL.

I love to hear this. The winningest quarterback in the history of college football is injury prone. I'm not the smartest man in the big city, but it seems you wouldn't really be able to set such a record if you were missing games due to injury. Considering how much he ran and how poor his o-line was this season, the guy can take a hit.

But you can continue to let your Ank-fueled blinders keep you from liking McCoy. He may not be Montana, but I bet he does pretty well if given the opportunity.

dando
01-08-10, 01:05 PM
I love to hear this. The winningest quarterback in the history of college football is injury prone. I'm not the smartest man in the big city, but it seems you wouldn't really be able to set such a record if you were missing games due to injury. Considering how much he ran and how poor his o-line was this season, the guy can take a hit.

But you can continue to let your Ank-fueled blinders keep you from liking McCoy. He may not be Montana, but I bet he does pretty well if given the opportunity.

I have no blinders. I've seen enough of McBoy, and I respect his abilities. Playing in the Big 12, not so much. The fact is when he has played a real defense, he has struggled (OSU '06 and '08, UN '09, etc.). We'll see who's right in the long run.

BTW, I was a bit young to remember seeing Montana much in college, and back in those days we didn't have the coverage we have today, so it wasn't really possible to watch players like we do today. I'll have to take your word on the McCoy/Montana comparison. I do have vivid memories of Montana playing the Bengals, tho. :(

-Kevin

Don Quixote
01-08-10, 01:15 PM
But at least we are all in agreement that Alabama is a fraud national champion, and Ingram is the second best back on his team. :gomer:

nrc
01-08-10, 09:29 PM
But at least we are all in agreement that Alabama is a fraud national champion, and Ingram is the second best back on his team. :gomer:

I don't buy this thinking. Football is a team sport and the trophy always goes to the team that plays the best 60 minutes at the end of the year.

Ankf00
01-08-10, 10:06 PM
I have no blinders. I've seen enough of McBoy, and I respect his abilities. Playing in the Big 12, not so much. The fact is when he has played a real defense, he has struggled (OSU '06 and '08, UN '09, etc.). We'll see who's right in the long run.

-Kevin

so we've got his 2nd career start against a top 5 team as a freshman, a bowl game where he led one of his many 4th q comebacks and game winning drives, and an NU game where the o-line **** the bed.

no mention of going 3-1 vs OU, almost making natl title game as a freshman after the tOSU loss, dropping 45 on a phenomenal OU team last year, tearing through 4 top 10 teams in 4 weeks only losing to tech on the final play b/c of 2 defensive mistakes, and SHOULD'VE been in the title game last year too.

yea, he never did anything against good D's:gomer:

I don't buy this thinking. Football is a team sport and the trophy always goes to the team that plays the best 60 minutes at the end of the year.

this, injuries happen, they won, it's how it goes. it sucks that for both teams that it worked out in the fashion that it did, both teams absolutely scrapped their game plans 4 minutes into the game, and 'bama robbed of the ability to enjoy the title to the fullest with every reporter asking them about asterisks and mccoy. a month of anticipation to watch an exhibition.

Ankf00
01-08-10, 10:17 PM
oh and then there's the most accurate passer in NCAA history thing...

Ankf00
01-08-10, 10:22 PM
Alabama looked far more vulnerable than I expected them to look. I couldn't believe that, while McCoy was in, Texas was picking up 4-6 yards on sweeps. Texas just appeared to be able to negate Bama's size and strength with speed, which is weird because they really haven't been able to do that to anyone else this year.
o-line showed up for the most part, allowing the rb's to bounce it without getting cut off by the playside LB scraping over the end. alabama knew it was a glaring weakness and adjusted, saban even spoke to it apparently in his halftime interview. first time we ran that 2nd half DE blows it up in the backfield and thus ended that offensive wrinkle. was impressed by the pulling lineman, they've been slow and incapable all season. the WRs had an OU-like performance w/ their crappy blocking though. oh well...

The shovel pass was a dumb idea, yes, but seriously, who expects a shovel pass to get batted into the air? Ugh.
dumb luck, but Tanner, LG, blew the block as badly as humanly possible, at that point GG should've thrown it at the RB's feet since there is no play, inexperience, oh well...

I hope McCoy turns into Joe Montana. He will be drafted in a similar draft position that Montana did, and the question marks about his game are eerily similar to those Joe had when he came out -- arm strength, body strength, and size. But he also has the things Montana had: he's very accurate, he has good pocket awareness, and he's really smart.

has been my opinion as well. supposedly redskins have been scouting him heavily, he's made for a WCO, lucky for him 50% of the NFL does just that

WickerBill
01-09-10, 03:28 PM
has been my opinion as well. supposedly redskins have been scouting him heavily, he's made for a WCO, lucky for him 50% of the NFL does just that

Well, unless Leatherface has changed his philosophy, that ain't the offense he's made for. I'm dreaming, but he'd be so insanely perfect in Denver's offense.

Ankf00
01-10-10, 05:01 PM
USC to get the ban hammer?

Sources with knowledge of the situation say the NCAA is in the final stages of what has become a two-sport, department-wide investigation into USC athletics. A source told Yahoo! Sports that Reggie Bush voluntarily met with NCAA investigators last summer to discuss allegations of receiving extra benefits from marketing representatives.

The NCAA is expected to finalize its investigation in the next couple months if not sooner.

Details in the case date back to 2004, when Bush allegedly began receiving cash, clothes, cars, travel and a rent-free home for his mother and stepfather from marketing companies. The case could run through last month’s revelation that Joe McKnight (“the next Reggie Bush”) was driving a SUV registered to an L.A.-area businessman. It also includes agent activity surrounding former basketball star O.J. Mayo that led to the resignation of coach Tim Floyd and the school sanctioning itself last month.

If the NCAA declares Bush retroactively ineligible for the 2004 season, the Bowl Championship Series has said it will consider stripping the Trojans of its lone BCS title during Carroll’s era.

By the end, who knows what will be left.

not bloody likely, but one can hope...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AtzdWHPQmXPZADiFDCdC8GkcvrYF?slug=dw-carroll011010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Don Quixote
01-10-10, 07:51 PM
USC to get the ban hammer?

not bloody likely, but one can hope...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AtzdWHPQmXPZADiFDCdC8GkcvrYF?slug=dw-carroll011010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
There must be some reason why Carroll is splitting.

Ankf00
01-12-10, 06:21 PM
for everyone who thought Dez Bryant was unfairly punished by having an "innocent" dinner w/ Deion...

he's now signed w/ Eugene Parker

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0110/694772.html

I wonder what Deion's cut was :laugh: srsly.

Ankf00
01-12-10, 10:28 PM
ESPN now saying Kiffin + pops + Layla to USC.

one week into the offseason and I have enough entertainment to last a year :tony:

Tennessee should hire Spurrier!!!!! !!!!! 1111 !!!!

Ankf00
01-12-10, 10:56 PM
Supposedly Chow is heading from Westwood to South Central.

they're getting the band back together :gomer:

NCAA delivers it's verdict in 2.5-3 months too. :)

Don Quixote
01-12-10, 10:59 PM
So what, Kiffin will stay there for 1 year now?

Ankf00
01-12-10, 11:05 PM
Abramoff being rumoured as new recruiting coordinator.

Jeff Skilling as compliance officer.

Ankf00
01-13-10, 01:06 AM
Coach Boom to Knoxville? :\ Screw you Lane Kiffin.

NM, confirmation he's staying from inside the ath dept, w00t! :D

WickerBill
01-13-10, 08:47 AM
Coach Boom to Knoxville? :\ Screw you Lane Kiffin.

NM, confirmation he's staying from inside the ath dept, w00t! :D

Show me the confirmation! Please stay, Screamin' Willie

Ankf00
01-29-10, 03:52 AM
Jackson Jeffcoat called OU coaches to inform he's signing with the good guys, announcement tomorrow morning.

Jordan Hicks from oHIo announcing the same right afterwards.

#1 & #2 defensive players in the nation, DE & LB.

hooooo-lee sheeeeeeeee, Boom & Major cleaned UP this year. Stole Cobb from Tenn, stole Mike Davis from LSU, possibly stealing A&M's one blue chip'esque commit in Corey Nelson, stole #1 WR Darius White from Ok St even though Deion was involved in his recruitment, stole Arky's placekicker this week too :D

dando
02-11-10, 01:52 PM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100211/SPORTS0203/2110451/1361/Report--Texas--Big-Ten-have--preliminary-exchanges--about-expansion

The University of Texas has had "preliminary exchanges" with Big Ten officials about the conference's desire to add a 12th school, according to a report.

Oh my.

:eek:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
02-11-10, 03:29 PM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100211/SPORTS0203/2110451/1361/Report--Texas--Big-Ten-have--preliminary-exchanges--about-expansion

Oh my.

:eek:

-Kevin Did anybody tell them that it snows up there in Big 10 country? :D

dando
02-11-10, 03:45 PM
Did anybody tell them that it snows up there in Big 10 country? :D

And we don't gots no dome for the Big 10+1+1 championship. :D I srsly about fell out of my chair @ work when I heard this mentioned on The Herd earlier.

-Kevin

Ankf00
02-11-10, 04:58 PM
all about the benjamins. Big Televen wants more TV $$$ from the cable package that SA DFW and HOU would bring.

would never happen b/c of the state leg, I think tech & baylor are sufficiently marginalized w/ the current power structure, but A&M + the others represent enough leg votes + the gov to cut UT funding, the same way they tried to when the SWC folded and we were talking to Big 10 & Pac 10, aggy was talking to SEC but SEC wanted UT in a package. also wouldn't happen b/c we're not going to fly 1500 miles for every away game.

A&M + UT + SEC is the only one that makes sense geographically & financially, didn't do it in 96, but when the TV contract is worht a bajillion dollars now...