PDA

View Full Version : Road annoyances

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

WickerBill
12-05-09, 07:33 PM
That one kills me. I keep trying to remind myself, who's being safe and who's being the ******.

Doesn't help.

Edit: wait. Az z hat get's asterisks? What's next, golly darn? :D

hahahaha

woooo, I think that was in the original list back in 2002 :)

Elmo T
12-07-09, 04:36 PM
Another fun one in Harrisburg area. At least the construction around this one is mostly complete.

Route 322 @ 83/283 (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=route+322,+pa&sll=37.926868,-95.712891&sspn=30.683537,78.310547&ie=UTF8&ll=40.252755,-76.811922&spn=0.007697,0.019119&z=16)

nrc
12-15-09, 03:12 AM
This one has a happy ending.

I'm driving us home from from pub quiz tonight around the Columbus outerbelt. One thing about the MINI on the freeway is that it's easy for your speed to wander. I hate that so I tend to put it on cruise so I'm not watching my speed constantly.

I'm cruising along passing traffic in the third lane of a four lane stretch. The lane to my left is clear and I'm actively passing traffic on my right.

Someone comes up rapidly behind me in my lane, pauses a second, swings left, quickly comes along side, and sits there. It's some Honda boy in a newish Civic Si. I'm not sure what he was up to. Maybe he thinks "OFF CMBR" means lets race around the outerbelt. I click the cruise down a notch to let him go by. No go. "Whatever," sez I, click up a notch to my previous speed, and ignore him.

As it happens, my exit was about a mile and a half ahead on the right anyway. I had cleared the traffic to my right so I started moving over. Two properly executed lane changes and now I'm in the right lane and catching a black Charger in the lane to my left.

At this point Honda boy, who has moved over to the third lane, decides to cut across two lanes, swoop through the two car length and closing gap between me and the Charger, and then nail it and go past the Charger on the right.

The Charger gasses it and takes off after him. No red blooded Charger driver is going to let a ricer do him that way. Honda boy sees that someone has taken the bait and he shows his VTEC power, zipping past traffic and cutting back into the exit lane at the last second with the Charger in tow. I figure they must have hit 95 approaching the exit ramp.

The exit itself is a cloverleaf so as I approached I half expected to see someone in the ditch. Nope. But as I come around to the exit of the cloverleaf I see the Charger pulled over behind Honda boy with red and blue lights blazing. :D

So Columbus drivers beware. There is a black, unmarked Charger patrol car prowling the outerbelt. But if this was the kind of jackass they're looking for then it's a good thing.

Gnam
12-15-09, 03:38 AM
:D

reminds me of King of the Hill episode:
"Do you know why I pulled you over, sir? Because you beat me, sir."

Ankf00
12-15-09, 05:00 AM
:D

reminds me of King of the Hill episode:
"Do you know why I pulled you over, sir? Because you beat me, sir."

Is this john occupied? Esta Juan, occupado?

WickerBill
12-15-09, 12:04 PM

Huzzah!!

I saw someone get pulled over -- at one of the southside of Indy's worst intersections, Southport and Emerson -- for turning left through a red (this person wasn't out into the intersection yet when the light changed). I almost stopped behind the cop to see if he'd accept a tip. So happy.

Don Quixote
12-15-09, 12:11 PM
Just awesome.

dando
12-15-09, 12:49 PM
So Columbus drivers beware. There is a black, unmarked Charger patrol car prowling the outerbelt. But if this was the kind of jackass they're looking for then it's a good thing.

No ****? I assume this was on the SE side o' town? Gotta be a local yokel from Picktown or the 'burg? Shawnee Hills (aka the New Rome of the NW side) has a Mustang they use to poach speeders around the Zoo, but I've never seen any of the local departments using anything other than the standard issue GM or Ford cruisers.

-Kevin

TrueBrit
12-15-09, 01:45 PM
but I've never seen any of the local departments using anything other than the standard issue GM or Ford cruisers.

-Kevin

I have seen a few unfortunate souls pulled over by an un-marked police mini-van in my locale...I had to do a double-take the first time I saw it...

dando
12-15-09, 01:50 PM
I have seen a few unfortunate souls pulled over by an un-marked police mini-van in my locale

Talk about adding insult to injury. ;)

-Kevin

extramundane
12-15-09, 02:58 PM
No ****? I assume this was on the SE side o' town? Gotta be a local yokel from Picktown or the 'burg? Shawnee Hills (aka the New Rome of the NW side) has a Mustang they use to poach speeders around the Zoo, but I've never seen any of the local departments using anything other than the standard issue GM or Ford cruisers.

A notorious speed trap in Western VA has one of these now:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4141/bm101.jpg

His antics were part of the reason why, when growing up, I thought The Dukes of Hazzard was a documentary.

WickerBill
12-16-09, 09:42 AM
Yesterday, in the parking garage at work.

http://www.lockwood5.com/images/far.jpg

http://www.lockwood5.com/images/close.jpg

My door would open less than 3 inches before my side mirror hit this woman's van.

I'm 6f4i, and am not terribly flexible due to some health issues, so I couldn't get in the passenger side and get my legs over the console. I ended up having to crawl in through the hatch. Laughing about it now -- I must've looked a clown -- but wasn't laughing so much yesterday.

trish
12-16-09, 10:17 AM
Yesterday, in the parking garage at work.

http://www.lockwood5.com/images/far.jpg

http://www.lockwood5.com/images/close.jpg

My door would open less than 3 inches before my side mirror hit this woman's van.

I'm 6f4i, and am not terribly flexible due to some health issues, so I couldn't get in the passenger side and get my legs over the console. I ended up having to crawl in through the hatch. Laughing about it now -- I must've looked a clown -- but wasn't laughing so much yesterday.Next time take both spaces.

dando
12-16-09, 10:43 AM

I'm 6f4i, and am not terribly flexible due to some health issues, so I couldn't get in the passenger side and get my legs over the console. I ended up having to crawl in through the hatch. Laughing about it now -- I must've looked a clown -- but wasn't laughing so much yesterday.

You must have been wondering what would Bret Favre do? ;) :p

That is some serious stupidity. :irked: As I've been known to say a few times, if you can't park it, don't buy it. :saywhat:

-Kevin

WickerBill
12-16-09, 11:57 AM
Brett Favre would've claimed he was done with driving, and didn't really want to do it very much anyway, and his body just couldn't handle the rigor of driving anymore, but secretly he would've really been waiting for ESPN and some woeful fanbase to come cover and watch the event and tell him how much better the world would be if he kept driving, and he should really consider driving one more season, but he'd still say noo, it's just too much, until months of people putting him on the pedestal he so desperately wants to be on would satiate his ego enough that he would relent and climb in the car.

He just loves driving SO MUCH!

(please let that be the end of Brett Favre talk in this thread)

dando
12-16-09, 12:21 PM
(please let that be the end of Brett Favre talk in this thread)

:)

-Kevin

JLMannin
12-16-09, 02:07 PM
WB - is that really two Saturn mini-vans parked next to each other?

Nice touch not blocking their plate number :)

WickerBill
12-16-09, 03:27 PM
Sigh. Mine's a Vue, so not quite a minivan. Hers is a Relay, so it's from the atrocious snout-nosed GM van family circa 2006.

(be glad you're at LTC-S)

oddlycalm
12-16-09, 04:03 PM
I carry a few message cards around in my card wallet:

THANK YOU FOR PARKING SO CLOSE!
Next time leave a f'ing can opener
so I can get my car out.
A******* like you should ride the bus.

Have some printed up and leave when appropriate.

oc

SteveH
12-16-09, 04:29 PM
or an ice pick in a tire would work too

Elmo T
12-16-09, 04:37 PM
Poor etiquette, but superb skills. It takes talent to park that close and not clip anyone else. Or maybe luck. :gomer:

Gnam
12-16-09, 04:49 PM
Slightly different topic, but I'm thinking about ordering some of these just for cathartic purposes...

http://www.iparklikeanidiot.com/
Did you place your order yet? :)

Elmo T
12-16-09, 05:55 PM
In college, my wife was in a car that was struck by another car trying to beat a train. :saywhat: No serious injuries, but these are pet peeve of mine.

jsVzC6Fic1I

JLMannin
12-16-09, 06:10 PM
In college, my wife was in a car that was struck by another car trying to beat a train. :saywhat: No serious injuries, but these are pet peeve of mine.

jsVzC6Fic1I

Imagine that moving van pulling up to your new house (or at least the front third of it :cry: )

Don Quixote
12-16-09, 06:11 PM
^^ Why didn't that train just stop? :gomer:

nrc
12-16-09, 08:20 PM

-Kevin

East, near Broad street. The Columbus Freeway Patrol has some marked Chargers, but I think this was State Patrol or Sheriff's office. I couldn't see the officer well as I went by. I did see dark uniform pants but no white shirt so I assume it wasn't city police.

chop456
12-17-09, 03:22 AM
Hers is a Relay

Do you know for a fact that it's a woman or are you just shunning political correctness and coming to the obvious logical conclusion? :D

Ankf00
12-17-09, 05:37 AM
WB's logical reasoning ability is above average, as seen here.

WickerBill
12-17-09, 10:18 AM
Do you know for a fact that it's a woman or are you just shunning political correctness and coming to the obvious logical conclusion? :D

Haha.

Our company parking badges have our ID# on them. She had no chance to hide.

Gnam
12-17-09, 01:16 PM
Find her office and block her door with a filing cabinet or bookcase, leaving her 3" to squeeze by.

chop456
12-18-09, 03:15 AM
Or adjust the armrests on her desk chair all the way inboard. Not only will she get the message, it'll give her a complex. :D

dando
01-07-10, 09:15 PM
~3" today....wife went out, so I took the girls to Skyline for dinner (OK, so maybe I had other motivations :gomer:). Came across two cars in < an hour driving w/o their lights on b/w 6 and 7 pm. :saywhat: :shakehead I just don't get how idiots drive their cars when it's dark, so you can't see the dash w/o lights on....especially in poor weather. :irked: Jeebus!

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
01-07-10, 10:46 PM
Came across two cars in < an hour driving w/o their lights on b/w 6 and 7 pm. :saywhat: :shakehead I just don't get how idiots drive their cars when it's dark, so you can't see the dash w/o lights on....especially in poor weather. :irked: Jeebus!

-Kevin

You made a mistake in thinking they even look at their dashboard. :gomer:

grungex
01-07-10, 11:29 PM
I blame stupid daylight running lights for this phenomenon...

dando
01-08-10, 01:22 PM
You made a mistake in thinking they even look at their dashboard. :gomer:

Perhaps they were snow blind. :\ *grumbles*

-Kevin

dando
01-22-10, 02:20 PM
Gotta love oHIo.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/01/22/honk.ART_ART_01-22-10_A1_RIGCIG7.html

To honk or not to honk? It's a question most drivers have considered while stuck behind a stopped car. Whitehall resident Patsy Martin chose to honk last week and wound up with a $120 ticket from police.

"After I parked, I was talking on the phone, and I looked up and there was a policeman," she said. "I thought he was kidding. I'd never heard of such a thing."

It was no joke.

Unnecessary use of a horn is illegal, Whitehall detective Daniel Kelso said.

:saywhat: :shakehead

Brought to you by the Land of the Left Lane Drivers..... *sigh*

-Kevin

Gnam
01-22-10, 03:41 PM
When the light turns green, a reminder 'beep' after a three count is a sign of trust and friendship. :p

Also, flashing your brights and smoking your tires as you swerve around a double parked Lexus that's waiting for his girlfriend and her friend to window shop at a closed shoe store is just common courtesy and translates to "I like your style. Let's hang out more often," in Cantonese.

JLMannin
01-22-10, 04:47 PM
Here's an annoyance - some idiot blows past a red light and smacks your car right at the drivers side front wheel . . . . .

Oh, wait - I was that idiot. :mad::saywhat::cry::rolleyes::shakehead:thumdown:: confused::mad::yuck:

grungex
01-22-10, 07:38 PM
Wait -- are you saying you caused the accident?

Either way, I'm glad you're OK.

JLMannin
01-22-10, 09:59 PM
Wait -- are you saying you caused the accident?

Either way, I'm glad you're OK.

Yep. I was thinking what my department would look like with no pilot plants on site to support (Currently, in-process sample analysis takes up a big portion of our time). I was thinking about which kid to take to music lessons first

By the time I was 1/4 way into the intersection, I realized the light was red. At this point, my brain went into overdrive, and if I could process sensory input that fast all this time, I would be like Dr. Manhattan. I looked to my right, and the first three lanes of traffic were moving. I thought to myself, "wow, that is not good". I looked ahead, and I saw a black Mercedes E320 wagon in front of me, and I thought "this is going to suck". BAM. Airbags.

No one was hurt. 27 years of driving with out a single moving violation, speeding ticket, nada, zip. Oh well, just like performance reviews, my insurance company is only going to focus on what just happened, not the well established history of performance.

TKGAngel
01-27-10, 07:31 PM
I get nervous around big trucks. And idiots like this guy don't do much to calm my nerves.

Trucker Tired & Watching Adult Entertainment, Leading to Fatal Crash (http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/937078.html)

trish
01-27-10, 07:57 PM
Yep. I was thinking what my department would look like with no pilot plants on site to support (Currently, in-process sample analysis takes up a big portion of our time). I was thinking about which kid to take to music lessons first

By the time I was 1/4 way into the intersection, I realized the light was red. At this point, my brain went into overdrive, and if I could process sensory input that fast all this time, I would be like Dr. Manhattan. I looked to my right, and the first three lanes of traffic were moving. I thought to myself, "wow, that is not good". I looked ahead, and I saw a black Mercedes E320 wagon in front of me, and I thought "this is going to suck". BAM. Airbags.

No one was hurt. 27 years of driving with out a single moving violation, speeding ticket, nada, zip. Oh well, just like performance reviews, my insurance company is only going to focus on what just happened, not the well established history of performance.Who is your insurer?

Ankf00
01-27-10, 08:13 PM

No one was hurt. 27 years of driving with out a single moving violation, speeding ticket, nada, zip. Oh well, just like performance reviews, my insurance company is only going to focus on what just happened, not the well established history of performance.

admit it, you had pr0n playing in the in-dash entertainment system :D

chop456
01-28-10, 03:05 AM
I get nervous around big trucks. And idiots like this guy don't do much to calm my nerves.

Trucker Tired & Watching Adult Entertainment, Leading to Fatal Crash (http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/937078.html)

That's why I don't drive a truck.

nrc
01-28-10, 03:24 AM
Add tractor trailers in general during winter weather to the list. Many of them barrel along as if they're impervious to the conditions. Eventually some of them end up on the wrong side of the physics equation and a bunch of people end up dead.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/22174292/detail.html

WickerBill
01-28-10, 07:16 AM
admit it, you had pr0n playing in the in-dash entertainment system :D

It was a Saturn SL1!! The only in-dash entertainment in an SL1 is "find-the-rattle".

(Sorry JL, perhaps I'm generalizing too much)

Elmo T
01-28-10, 09:51 AM
Is anyone taught the fundamentals of foul weather driving anymore? :confused:

I wake this AM to <1" of snow on the ground - but the conditions were perfect for the formation of a glazed and slick roadway. I stopped at no less than half a dozen disabled autos or accidents on the way into the office. :shakehead

Nearly every one was caused by excessive speed, particularly into the turns. Does anyone know to brake THEN turn???? And I use the work "brake" loosely in this weather - they should have been going at an appropriate speed to start. An SUV rollover, but mostly understeering into trees, signs, ditches, etc.

I can distinctly remember my father (who drove RWD police cars - no SUV's at that time - in all weather for 30 years) stressing these winter weather driving tips:

1. Fast is slow and slow is fast.
2. Brake before your turn - never during.
3. Assume everyone else on the road is an @$!hole.

I've had great success with those tips!

Indy
01-28-10, 10:01 AM
I just want to thank all the morons for making the police state necessary. Indiana is about to pass a law to inflict very punitive fines on people who text and drive. It is a problem, of course, not because someone like me uses a long stoplight to get some work done, but because of Texting Tilly who can not walk and chew gum, but nevertheless weaves down the highway too slowly in the left lane in her Expedition, oblivious to the danger she causes. Thanks to people like you, Tilly, all of us can enjoy our nanny state together. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

cameraman
01-29-10, 05:58 PM
I just want to thank all the morons for making the police state necessary. Indiana is about to pass a law to inflict very punitive fines on people who text and drive. It is a problem, of course, not because someone like me uses a long stoplight to get some work done, but because of Texting Tilly who can not walk and chew gum, but nevertheless weaves down the highway too slowly in the left lane in her Expedition, oblivious to the danger she causes. Thanks to people like you, Tilly, all of us can enjoy our nanny state together. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Having missed many a green light cycle due to morAns texting at the light and not looking up for 30 seconds after the light changed you get no sympathy.

Indy
01-30-10, 12:19 AM
Yeah but I ain't one of them morAns. :gomer:

oddlycalm
01-30-10, 05:00 AM
Is anyone taught the fundamentals of foul weather driving anymore? :confused:
Is anyone taught the fundamentals of anything anymore is a better question. :laugh:

Everyone that learns to drive should have to learn and demonstrate proficiency in low grip situations. At the driving schools they use wet skid pads with dollies on the cars to simulate very low grip. That would do. We used frozen lakes, but they don't happen everywhere.

It's the same here BTW. An inch of snow equals chaos.

oc

emjaya
01-30-10, 09:15 AM

oc

We don't need snow to bring out the crazy in people over here. The first rain after a dry spell and the place is a gridlock with accidents, mostly nose-to-tail.

Don Quixote
01-30-10, 01:18 PM
The first rain after a dry spell and the place is a gridlock with accidents, mostly nose-to-tail.
That's the way it is here also,the first snow of the year is a disaster. After that, folks get used to it and traffic moves ok. Except for the Cali transplants, of which there are many. Way too many. They never learn.

JohnHKart
01-30-10, 06:06 PM
Sometimes people do know what to do. Was in snowy Edmonton, Can. last year in feb for a gig (emotionally traumatic, thought I'd seen the last of that place forever after a funeral there in 2007). We went around the corner in a parking lot in a large 10 passenger Ford van, I felt the back end step out and at the same time I watched the shuttle driver correct the slide correctly. It was some great driving and he knew what to do. We were doing about 5-10 mph also.:thumbup:

Elmo T
01-31-10, 08:43 AM
This last "snow" :rolleyes: wasn't the first messy weather, but it was unexpected - snow wasn't forecast for the AM. It was a small amount of snow that made for some low traction areas, but everyone was driving like the road was dry.

There seemed to be two groups having problems - the folks driving the "luxury" RWD cars and the SUV drivers. No doubt a disconnect between the driver's perception of the car's ability and the driver's perception of their own ability.

nrc
02-10-10, 03:20 AM
Lots of snow today. I'm waiting to turn left at a light. I saw that traffic on the cross street was having trouble making it up the slight rise that I'd be turning onto so I stopped a few feet back from the stop bar to give my self some room to get moving.

Then from my left a Bimmer trying to turn right slides across both lanes and into my left front bumper. :mad: Damage appears limited to the front bumper which got pushed back far enough that something is poking through from behind. I guess we'll find out how much damage is underneath.

I'm glad I stopped a bit back. If I'd pulled all the way up he'd have clouted me in the fender and wheel instead.

oddlycalm
02-10-10, 04:59 AM
I guess we'll find out how much damage is underneath.
Sorry your sled got biffed by a RWD panzer jockey. :thumdown:

dando
02-10-10, 06:11 PM
Then from my left a Bimmer trying to turn right slides across both lanes and into my left front bumper. :mad: Damage appears limited to the front bumper which got pushed back far enough that something is poking through from behind. I guess we'll find out how much damage is underneath.

'tis why I kept my ride parked yesterday. Bimmer drives like a crapwagon in snow TC or no TC. :irked: :thumdown:

-Kevin

Elmo T
02-10-10, 06:18 PM
'tis why I kept my ride parked yesterday.
-Kevin

I passed my fair share of BMW's this AM on the road. I keep a wide berth at all times. :saywhat:

On the other hand, I give high marks to the Subie - this being its first real winter weather test. You really have to work hard to make it misbehave.

dando
02-10-10, 06:35 PM
I passed my fair share of BMW's this AM on the road. I keep a wide berth at all times. :saywhat:

A couple of years ago I was on a trip to HQ in Dulles about this time of year. I ended up leaving early to beat an ice/snow storm in DC. My return flight was delayed until almost midnight (from ~9pm), landed @ ~2am. :irked: Driving back from the airport on 270, I did a spin and win while watching a p/u truck I had just passed go trucking by in slo mo....I was like John Candy in Planes, Trains and Automobiles pulling my hands off the wheel. :eek: Took arterial roads back home the rest of the way....I would literally start the car when a light turned green (1st car in line @ 2am), and get through the intersection by the time the light turned red. It turned out my tires were low on tread despite being only ~20K used. Got new tires to replace the Kumos, but it's not much better since then.

Of course there's the harrowing experience coming back from a show back in 2/03 (again about this time of year)...my first winter after installing Pirelli P-Zero tires and RDS wheels, which are wider and lower profile than the standard tires. After sliding all over on 270 from Easton to Dublin, I finally was ~ a 1/2 mile from home crawling along when I encountered two deer in the middle of the road. Somehow the car stopped in time and they just ambled off after staring @ the car coming @ them. Another John Candy moment. :saywhat: After a couple of drinks once we got back home, we had Carolanne in October. :D :gomer:

-Kevin

nrc
02-10-10, 09:33 PM
'tis why I kept my ride parked yesterday. Bimmer drives like a crapwagon in snow TC or no TC. :irked: :thumdown:

-Kevin

As he was sliding toward me I was thinking of the commercials that BMW used to run to show their remarkable stability control. Ice racing or something.

Might want to hit the tire rack for one of their winter packages.

dando
02-10-10, 09:39 PM
Might want to hit the tire rack for one of their winter packages.

I'm thinking chains. :(

-Kevin

chop456
02-11-10, 02:46 AM
Shoulda' sprung for the ix, cheapskate. :D

dando
02-12-10, 05:27 PM
Yahoos driving around with 6"+ of on the car....a week later. :saywhat: I saw a couple yesterday and today with snow covering the hood, headlights, etc. completely covered as well as several SUVs wearing 6" 'hats'. :saywhat: :thumdown: Mind our snow has been far less 'epic' than the easties this past week.

-Kevin

dando
02-12-10, 05:29 PM
Shoulda' sprung for the ix, cheapskate. :D

Wasn't no such model back in '98, yo. I wouldn't be caught dead in one of the newer 328/330 models. :saywhat: Plus, I have a Shark Injector chip upgrade and KLN cold air intake....just sayin'. :D

-Kevin

cameraman
02-13-10, 05:26 PM
On the other hand, I give high marks to the Subie - this being its first real winter weather test. You really have to work hard to make it misbehave.

Don't kid yourself. I live on the east side of Salt Lake, Subie capitol of the planet, and I have seen more than a few stuck Subies.

First and foremost four bald tires will strand any Subie.:shakehead
Second, 50 mph into that 35 mph corner isn't going to work:saywhat:

And have you ever seen the Mythbusters where they drive the Subie off the cliff:eek::eek::eek:

Elmo T
02-13-10, 09:58 PM
First and foremost four bald tires will strand any Subie.:shakehead
Second, 50 mph into that 35 mph corner isn't going to work:saywhat:

Noted philosopher Ron White says "You can't fix stupid..."

Following my Dad's words of wisdom on winter driving, I will do OK with the Subie ;). It is very predictable in the snow - more so than my Durango "fire truck" :saywhat:

nrc
02-14-10, 11:58 PM
Damage appears limited to the front bumper which got pushed back far enough that something is poking through from behind. I guess we'll find out how much damage is underneath.

$1057 estimate so far. Allstate has been great so far even when they haven't been aware that I'm a customer and not just a claimant.

I went to Midwestern Auto Group's preferred shop before going to the Allstate adjuster. Good move since the Allstate Adjuster basically copied the parts list from the shop's estimate.

dando
02-15-10, 12:03 AM
$1057 estimate so far. Allstate has been great so far even when they haven't been aware that I'm a customer and not just a claimant.

I went to Midwestern Auto Group's preferred shop before going to the Allstate adjuster. Good move since the Allstate Adjuster basically copied the parts list from the shop's estimate.

Oh ****. I can hear the 3C radio spots now...

:saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
02-15-10, 12:07 AM

oc

CA chain law says "hi." Pay no mind to the lack of chain law on the NV side of the border on the same mountain pass, no sir, pay you no mind to that.

:shakehead

Elmo T
03-22-10, 09:03 AM
Had a trip to MD, just south of Gettysburg this weekend.

On I78 coming back home -

To the BMW in my rearview mirror: As you can see, there is a steady line of traffic in the right line. Just like you, I am in the left lane passing those cars. I am traveling at 78ish mph. I do see you weaving back and forth flashing your lights. You are now so close that perhaps you cannot see the tractor trailer in front of me. And I assume you didn't see the steady line of cars also traveling at 80mph in the left lane passing the slower traffic. My sincerest apologies that I cannot make my car levitate. :rolleyes:

ALSO

To the Lexus now drafting me in the right lane. I checked the speedo - I am now traveling at 80mph. I see you in my mirrors as well. Feel free to move to the left lane and pass me. Oh... I see you've made that choice. I also see the exit for Cabella's rapidly approaching. Must be less than 1,000 feet away now. What are the chances that you will......... jam on the brakes as you cut across in front of me and swerve onto the exit ramp. :flame:

Don Quixote
03-22-10, 10:18 AM
Had a trip to MD, just south of Gettysburg this weekend.

On I78 coming back home -

To the BMW in my rearview mirror: As you can see, there is a steady line of traffic in the right line. Just like you, I am in the left lane passing those cars. I am traveling at 78ish mph. I do see you weaving back and forth flashing your lights. You are now so close that perhaps you cannot see the tractor trailer in front of me. And I assume you didn't see the steady line of cars also traveling at 80mph in the left lane passing the slower traffic. My sincerest apologies that I cannot make my car levitate. :rolleyes:

ALSO

To the Lexus now drafting me in the right lane. I checked the speedo - I am now traveling at 80mph. I see you in my mirrors as well. Feel free to move to the left lane and pass me. Oh... I see you've made that choice. I also see the exit for Cabella's rapidly approaching. Must be less than 1,000 feet away now. What are the chances that you will......... jam on the brakes as you cut across in front of me and swerve onto the exit ramp. :flame:

My dad once taught me the press-the-brake-enough-to-show-brake-lights-but-not-enough-to-engage-the-brakes trick. Works like a charm for aholes like you describe.

grungex
03-22-10, 10:29 AM
Unfortunately, not always. Some become so enraged by this they start tailgating even more aggressively, or swoop around you and then slam on their brakes repeatedly... :irked:

dando
03-22-10, 11:31 AM

Sorry about that...I was just trying to say hi. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Indy
03-22-10, 11:41 AM
Motorcycle trick: don't brake, just let off the accelerator a bit and allow yourself to slow gradually. Eventually they will pass you, and it will not appear to be a provocation.

On the other hand, if you are in a big, safe vehicle, and you are ready for a new one, perhaps slamming on the brakes will teach the offending party a valuable lesson. :laugh:

Elmo T
03-22-10, 11:57 AM
Sorry about that...I was just trying to say hi. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

I knew someone would recognize the ChampCar and WDW stickers on the rear glass. ;)

Elmo T
05-10-10, 03:22 PM
I didn't know whether to put this here or
the YouTube thread:

-qvXbIenivk

Gnam
05-10-10, 03:54 PM
ACTIVITY BUS!!!! :thumbup:

4:30 is the winner, but 4:42 is my favorite. ;)

The pedestrians & motorcycles are brutal. :(

dando
05-10-10, 04:13 PM
So the FD trucks @ 4:44 were an outtake from Roxanne? :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Elmo T
05-10-10, 04:50 PM
So the FD trucks @ 4:44 were an outtake from Roxanne? :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Unfortunately, no. :saywhat:

At least the camera clears up which truck was at fault. Take note of the civilian at the corner.

Methanolandbrats
05-10-10, 04:50 PM
Nice pitch and catch by the bus, I quit watching when the fatals came up, not cool.

Elmo T
05-10-10, 05:33 PM
n the fatals came up, not cool.

There is no "and they walked away" commentary or anything like that. None looked like definitive fatals.

I was surprised to see some of those on a You Tube link - something I hadn't known for anything too gory. Years of work though and my "gore meter" might be a bit off. :(

cameraman
05-10-10, 10:20 PM
The last one one the video you could see the motorcycle driver moving after he was on the ground for a minute. I'm thinking he survived after a long stay in the hospital.

Methanolandbrats
05-10-10, 10:46 PM
There is no "and they walked away" commentary or anything like that. None looked like definitive fatals.

I was surprised to see some of those on a You Tube link - something I hadn't known for anything too gory. Years of work though and my "gore meter" might be a bit off. :(I did'nt mean it was'nt cool of you to post it, I just think it was uncool for some of those to be public if the people died, maybe they did'nt.

TKGAngel
05-11-10, 09:36 AM
Annoyance: the great state of Ohio shutting down an entire lane on the 90 outside Cleveland so grass could be planted. On Friday, I was stuck in a mile long backup while Henry Hardhat blew hay off the road with a leaf blower. On Monday, there was a five car pileup on that same stretch of road that resulted in a fatality. (I was driving by on the other side and the image of the car crumpled against the semi haunted me all the way home.)

ChampcarShark
05-11-10, 10:26 AM
I didn't know whether to put this here or
the YouTube thread:

I think this is the right place, red lights are annoying.

Elmo T
05-11-10, 10:51 AM
I think this is the right place, red lights are annoying.

Obviously - as many folks have chosen to ignore them. :saywhat:;)

dando
05-11-10, 11:17 AM
Annoyance: the great state of Ohio shutting down an entire lane on the 90 outside Cleveland so grass could be planted. On Friday, I was stuck in a mile long backup while Henry Hardhat blew hay off the road with a leaf blower. On Monday, there was a five car pileup on that same stretch of road that resulted in a fatality. (I was driving by on the other side and the image of the car crumpled against the semi haunted me all the way home.)

Hey, it could be worse. They could be doing what's going on in my 'burb....they're installing handicap ramps on corners WHERE THERE ARE NO SIDEWALKS. (insert Sam Kinison scream here) :saywhat: :shakehead

Last week I was stuck in a jam, which I managed to drive around and came back to the intersection I needed to cross from the other direction to find a car basically under the front of a school bus. :eek:

-Kevin

WickerBill
05-11-10, 07:28 PM
I'm in Northern California, and I'm riding instead of driving to my appointments, but I can honestly say the driving here is 5x better than in Indianapolis. Sure, they don't believe in turn signals, but they also simply make better decisions. So far:

- People get into turn lanes as soon as they start
- There is never a 30 second wait at a four way stop while Betsy and Junior try to wave each other on
- I haven't seen anyone trying to squeeze through a left-hand turn arrow long after it's turned red

Maybe it's just this section of CA, but it's been nice.

Indy
05-11-10, 09:23 PM
Mmmm, not too sure about that, WB. I have done a fair bit of driving in Northern Cali., and I have seen some hair raising stupidity. As I have here, too.

The older I get, the more I drive like an older person. You just can't be too defensive.

nrc
05-11-10, 10:46 PM
Spent some time as a pedestrian in downtown SF last year and saw some pretty severe stupidity out in the traffic lanes. Probably more of the "I'm an impatient jerk" variety than the "I'm oblivious to everything" variety that is so common here in the Midwest.

Indy
05-12-10, 12:41 AM
Probably more of the "I'm an impatient jerk" variety than the "I'm oblivious to everything" variety that is so common here in the Midwest.

That's a good way to describe it. Here they are nice but dumb, there they are, um, not so nice. :laugh:

datachicane
05-12-10, 01:10 AM
Whenever I travel, I'm always surprised when I get back to Stumptown just how courteous the drivers are, even in heavy traffic. Pretty cool for a medium-sized city.

For the record, I don't live there. Where I am the driving is somewhat more, umm, agricultural. :saywhat:

Michaelhatesfans
05-12-10, 01:32 AM
Whenever I travel, I'm always surprised when I get back to Stumptown just how courteous the drivers are, even in heavy traffic. Pretty cool for a medium-sized city.

:laugh:
The guy in front of me on I-5 today probably would have disagreed had he seen the gestures that I was throwing his way...

Basically, we disagreed on whether or not one should follow an emergency vehicle through a traffic jam.

(waits for lecture from Elmo...);)

Elmo T
05-12-10, 06:13 AM
Basically, we disagreed on whether or not one should follow an emergency vehicle through a traffic jam.

:saywhat:;)

That works right up until the motorist that actually yielded to the right swings back out into traffic and into the path of the trailing civilian car. :rolleyes:

More often, I see folks tagging behind an emergency vehicle when it is equipped with a traffic light preemptor. "Oh look, green lights all the way".

Indy
05-12-10, 08:52 AM
About this midwest/coasts driving style difference. The thing that irritates me the most is the person who regards driving as a competitive game. For example, I am preparing to change lanes, so out of courtesy to the driver behind the spot I am about to occupy, I signal, then begin to ease over in a slow, predictable way. That driver, apparently out of pure meanness, closes the gap in an attempt to prevent me from doing so. In the mind of the midwesterner, it is that "me first" New York/L.A. attitude which we find so primitive and animalistic. It seems that they think we are slow and stupid, when in fact we find them to be uncivilized.

Of course you see all types everywhere. But there is a difference between regions.

cameraman
05-12-10, 12:15 PM
Except you just described the Utah driver perfectly. Never yield, never allow someone to merge. That is the rule around here:flame:

Michaelhatesfans
05-12-10, 12:18 PM
My wife's biggest adjustment to driving in the Pacific NW, was that her Euro background had her always leaving a few car lengths between her car and the car in front of her. Here, if you leave three car lengths, if will quickly become filled with three cars. To her, it was an invisible safety barrier - to us, it's useable space...:laugh:

Michaelhatesfans
05-12-10, 12:26 PM
:saywhat:;)

That works right up until the motorist that actually yielded to the right swings back out into traffic and into the path of the trailing civilian car. :rolleyes:

:laugh:
Yeah, I didn't want to be that guy, for sure. I wouldn't do that at speed for that very reason. As it was, traffic was so heavy that he was down to about 10/15mph, so it was a bit of a judgement call as to how long we were going to look at an empty lane during a traffic jam.

Elmo T
05-12-10, 03:48 PM
to how long we were going to look at an empty lane during a traffic jam.

I've seen the PD stop folks trailing too close too.

And my fellow responders aren't above some brain fade. Civilians cannot make their cars levitate or disappear no matter how hard you blow the siren. :rolleyes::thumdown:

And a car fire does not justify this piece of driving. :flame:

7bqxBX9RuY0