PDA

View Full Version : Road annoyances

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

dando
03-12-13, 06:51 PM
Hey Data, Cleveland got you beat on that one. The Cleveland Shoreway was closed the last few days when some guy in a truck with a bed that lifts somehow was driving with the bed up and hit a pedestrian bridge and knocking it partially off its base:

http://www.clevescene.com/binary/8a3e/1362845020-90-accident.jpg

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2013/03/09/pic-dump-truck-hits-bridge-on-i-90

Dude, it's Cleveburgh...you expect better/smarter? The Drive, The Fumble, Red Right 88, Game 7, Game 6. $.10 beer night. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

dando
03-12-13, 06:56 PM
So after we dumped the Odyssey and picked up the Suburban - I am driving something larger than 95% of the other stuff on the road. Not counting the commercial trucks at least.

Yet I am have had more close calls driving the USS Family Cruiser Truck than with any of my other stuff combined. :saywhat: People cut me short changing lanes in traffic, pull out directly in front of me, race me to merge points, etc, etc.

Black paint and they can't see me? Anger at my hunk of fossil fuel burning iron? Everyone hates GM? :confused: At least the laws of physics are on my side.

I suggest removing the PSU log magnet from your ride to help with that. ;-)

I have just seen more stupid driving the past week than I have in years. I blame Al Gore....err, DST err...instant idiots, just add water. :saywhat: ;)

And guess what's in the forecast tomorrow AM for the AM rush? Snow/mix. :irked:

-Kevin

emjaya
03-12-13, 07:16 PM
There's a very narrow, windy, and beautiful road that runs between the small city I live in and the small town where I went to college. It's heavily wooded with some nice elevation changes. It's fabulous for pretending that you're Caracciola on the Nordschleife, until you come screaming around a corner behind a tractor or something similar. The best part is two low clearance railroad underpasses, each at the apex of a 10-mph corner. This is clearly not a road suitable for commercial traffic, and as there's a major highway a few miles North it doesn't get any.

Until now. Twice in two weeks some bozo in a tractor trailer has managed to wedge himself under one of the underpasses. This road would be a nightmare for a heavy truck even without the clearance problems. These things have been here for nearly 100 years, so it's not like it's a recent problem. I suspect they're getting creative trying to circumvent a weigh station...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OfYtCwucKe0/UT91rGzWK5I/AAAAAAAAE8Q/gwNBVsOr4mM/s800/bildea2.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-o-X7Cbi2csI/UT91rB2lHdI/AAAAAAAAE8U/BIU0naYhRy0/s800/bildea1.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LMQqUyiu-o0/UT91rNTC2aI/AAAAAAAAE8Y/JN8HjJJ0i_g/s800/bildeb1.jpg

Sat-Nav just gives you the short-cut, but doesn't warn you of the low bridges along the way. ;)

There is a rail bridge in south Brisbane that will have a truck stuck under it at least once a week. This is despite it having a low bridge warning device in front of it. :shakehead

TKGAngel
03-12-13, 08:57 PM
Traffic circles + suburban office park commuters + airport traffic = chaos.

Why is it so difficult to understand that one yields to traffic entering from the left and one doesn't stop in the middle of the circle to let someone in? It's not being "nice," it's called almost causing an accident behind you! :flame:

dando
03-12-13, 09:25 PM
Traffic circles + suburban office park commuters + airport traffic = chaos.

Why is it so difficult to understand that one yields to traffic entering from the left and one doesn't stop in the middle of the circle to let someone in? It's not being "nice," it's called almost causing an accident behind you! :flame:

DO. NOT. GET. ME. STARTED. ON. TRAFFIC. CIRCLES. PERIOD. 'kay? The idiots here have had a hard on for them a few years now...claiming they were cheaper that traffic lights, but not understanding people (especially in mini vans) can't drive in circles. OK, now you've stirred the pot... ;) And the idiots that turn on their turn signals entering a circle... :saywhat: :mad: See what you started? ;)

EDIT: and just to note, I was introduced to them in the mid-80s in DC and the past 21 years going to OCNJ. People driving in circles is a BAD idea.

-Kevin

WickerBill
03-12-13, 09:33 PM
Same issue here but not with roundabouts. If you are in line at a red light, and Gomer is at the gas station next to you wanting to go the same direction you are going, it is HIS responsibility to wait for an open lane. You should never be at a standstill on the roadway of your own volition when the flow of traffic is expecting you to move. YOU have the right of way and YOU are causing a dangerous situation by interrupting traffic flow to be "nice".

cameraman
03-12-13, 09:35 PM
Pish. I've got a traffic circle with trains running through the middle of it that is the main entrance to a major university.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/traffic.jpg

Does the traffic at the light back up into the traffic circle? Why yes, yes it does

dando
03-12-13, 09:54 PM
Bio Guy, do a search for Dublin, OH or Hilliard, OH. These things are sprouting like weeds. :saywhat: Again, people driving in circles is NOT a good thing.

<clue stick time>

-Kevin

Indy
03-12-13, 11:57 PM
Your description may as well be a description of the Southport Road area in Indianapolis. Idiots.

I do a lot of driving all over the Indy metro area every work day, and I can assure you that the idiots in Southport are exactly as stupid as the idiots everywhere else. Anytime you spend several hours driving you will witness at least one act of profound idiocy. Today for me it was at the 465 South exit on the NW corner, when some douchebag with a backward hat in a black Ford Edge realized he was in the wrong lane and yanked the wheel over, nearly hitting me in the front left fender. The only thing that saved me was that I had maintained spacing, making sure that I had no traffic to my immediate right, so I was able to swerve out of the way. And, of course, he flipped me off. :mad:

If I didn't drive ultra-defensively, I think I would be in several accidents each year.

nrc
03-12-13, 11:59 PM
Bio Guy, do a search for Dublin, OH or Hilliard, OH. These things are sprouting like weeds. :saywhat: Again, people driving in circles is NOT a good thing.

<clue stick time>

-Kevin

On the other hand they make for some interesting test drives from Midwestern Auto group and the Toy Barn up in Dublin. It's a skid pad and an intersection! :gomer:

Indy
03-13-13, 12:03 AM
Regarding roundabouts, the cool thing about Carmel, IN is that they built all these things with no standard curbing, radius, or anything. So driving through them efficiently is an interesting exercise in line, braking points, etc.

Maybe I am going through a traffic circle with a fountain in the middle of a vinyl ghetto, but in my mind I am outbraking Raikkonen into the Bus Stop Chicane. :gomer:

dando
03-13-13, 12:32 AM
On the other hand they make for some interesting test drives from Midwestern Auto group and the Toy Barn up in Dublin. It's a skid pad and an intersection! :gomer:

I have several roads I would prefer to test drive. ;)

-Kevin

JohnHKart
03-13-13, 01:58 AM
People that won't turn right on a red no matter what. So I drive around them and leave them there. People that won't turn right on a red when the traffic Purpendicular has a left turn arrow ( therefore there is no oncoming traffic for those turning right. ) As to why those lanes dont get a right green arrow is beyond me. Stupid .

WickerBill
03-13-13, 06:42 AM
I really enjoy roundabouts in England. But I'm guessing it's because people know how to use them.

TKGAngel
03-13-13, 08:20 AM
And the idiots that turn on their turn signals entering a circle... :saywhat: :mad: See what you started? ;)

-Kevin

Sorry to have poked the bear. :)

I actually Googled to see if the turn signals in a circle behavior was a real traffic law because I see it here, but only in suburban traffic circles. Apparently, in the great state of NY it's not, but in other places it is. Your mileage may vary.

This morning's shenanigans included watching two full-size school buses merge into an exit ramp by using the tried and true put-on-your-directional-and-go method. Now granted, the ramp was backed up for over half a mile and cars cut in line all the time, but full size school buses should know better. It's so cool to jeopardize 50+ kids for the sake of moving up a half mile.

Elmo T
03-13-13, 09:38 AM
Traffic circles?

Paging Mr. Longman... who can perhaps explain how/why in most traffic circles the dude IN the circle has the right-of-way. Except for those circles in NJ where past practices means you don't. :saywhat: Sometimes. But maybe you do. What the heck - just drive on through and roll the dice.

dando
03-13-13, 11:18 AM
Sorry to have poked the bear. :)

I actually Googled to see if the turn signals in a circle behavior was a real traffic law because I see it here, but only in suburban traffic circles. Apparently, in the great state of NY it's not, but in other places it is. Your mileage may vary.

This morning's shenanigans included watching two full-size school buses merge into an exit ramp by using the tried and true put-on-your-directional-and-go method. Now granted, the ramp was backed up for over half a mile and cars cut in line all the time, but full size school buses should know better. It's so cool to jeopardize 50+ kids for the sake of moving up a half mile.

Get off my lawn. </grumpy old man mode> Sorry, this has been a running debate for some time now around these parts, and the damn things are spreading like weeds. Nuts. Anyway, the way a few of them are designed, folks (never me, BTW </John Lovitz>) can straight shoot them. I've seen tracks over the median piece, and of course the peeps that do 360s through the circle. :saywhat: I expect better from folks on this side of Cbus than say folks from like say Whitehall. :runs: :D

-Kevin

dando
03-13-13, 11:23 AM
Traffic circles?

Paging Mr. Longman... who can perhaps explain how/why in most traffic circles the dude IN the circle has the right-of-way. Except for those circles in NJ where past practices means you don't. :saywhat: Sometimes. But maybe you do. What the heck - just drive on through and roll the dice.

Dude, it's NJ. Where they pump your ga$. There are no rules. Well, other than Bon Jovi and The Boss rules. :gomer: I've driven the roundy from Somers Point (a speed trap) to OCNJ for 20 years....I should wrap the car in bubble wrap. Doesn't help that the liquor store is located @ the entrance to the causeway bridge. :saywhat:

-Kevin

datachicane
03-13-13, 12:29 PM
Apparently the psychoactive drugs that my neighbor keeps warning that the gov't drops on us in those fake airliner contrails cause repeat accidents. It's like Santayana is the local insurance adjuster. These happened about six months apart.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WbOL0Z7WHaA/UUCo9DItITI/AAAAAAAAE8w/O3cg0l3et0g/s800/bilde%25281%2529.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-n1wewhW_P_U/UUCo8zPbMsI/AAAAAAAAE8s/FnHWTGieYTQ/s800/bilde.jpg

Napoleon
03-13-13, 12:57 PM
Traffic circles?

Since 99 almost every work day has taken me through 2 to 6 of them a day. It is pretty easy to tell the people who are not use to them.

Gnam
03-13-13, 01:08 PM
Pish. I've got a traffic circle with trains running through the middle of it that is the main entrance to a major university.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/traffic.jpg

Does the traffic at the light back up into the traffic circle? Why yes, yes it does
That is awesome. :D

dando
03-13-13, 01:17 PM
Since 99 almost every work day has taken me through 2 to 6 of them a day. It is pretty easy to tell the people who are not use to them.

They be called roundabouts in these parts. And yes, I can tell the drivers from Cleveburgh from those with an IQ >100 very easily. ;) :p

-Kevin

Napoleon
03-13-13, 02:36 PM
They be called roundabouts in these parts.

A few years ago when they opened a roundabout/traffic circle on the near west side of Cleveland and someone from ODOT was on TV explaining that there is a differance between a roundabout and traffic circle.

nrc
03-13-13, 02:45 PM
They be called roundabouts in these parts. And yes, I can tell the drivers from Cleveburgh from those with an IQ >100 very easily. ;) :p

-Kevin

I blame you for sticking this in my head now.

-Tdu4uKSZ3M

dando
03-13-13, 03:20 PM
I blame you for sticking this in my head now.

-Tdu4uKSZ3M

Dude, could be worse...it could be It's a Small World after All. :D

-Kevin

G.
03-13-13, 06:44 PM
http://toptenfamous.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/The-Magic-Roundabout.jpg

I would "LeRoy Jenkins" that sonofagun and just tromp on ye merry olde petrol actuator.

EDIT: Whoa. Deja Vu.

Andrew Longman
03-14-13, 04:30 PM
Traffic circles?

Reading this post, and spending pretty much three weeks out of four driving OUTSiDE Jersey I have to feel that Jersey traffic circles and roads are simply designed to eat the small and weak. Sorry cameraman but I drive in SLC a lot and the sprawl and congestion is maddening and the drivers may not exactly be engaged, but in Jersey the other driver AND pedestrians are the enemy to be consumed.

Jersey has been trying to eliminate or modify their famed circles and mostly that is just messing them up. Technically, by law you are supposed to yield to traffic already on the circle. Practically in jersey the biggest fastest object has the right of way. That worked perfectly in Jersey in almost every circle if you were familiar with it, so tourists beware but tough. Now the DOT has tried to rework every circle with yield signs reflecting the law and it has screwed everything up royally.

Except of course when they didn't. Elmo you must know the circles (3 of them) up in Flemington which they tried to apply the rule and then didn't and now all three circles have slightly different signage.

dando
03-14-13, 04:40 PM
I ran across one of the morons this AM. Mini van just plowed into the roundabout while I was halfway through. She (assuming it was a she since no reasonable male would drive a mini van...looks @ Elmo :D) just plowed on through and got stuck @ a red light for her left turn while I cruised on by. I don't do fingers these days...just a thumbs down. ;)

-Kevin

cameraman
03-14-13, 05:55 PM
The Utah Department of Transportation really isn't into silly things like traffic circles, they are into confusing you by making every interchange unique.

The continuous flow... (this is a goodie but flash animated)

http://www.udot.utah.gov/i/udot/ucon/cfi_anim.swf

dando
03-16-13, 01:47 PM
My fun from today...on the way back from a chilly St. Patty's Day Parade in dtown Dublin, we ran across a car that stopped. Just stopped three times. Once before entering a roundabout and twice more just out of the blue on a 45mph 2-lane road. 4 cars ended up passing the idiot car...one that just straight-lined the roundabout. I was the third one. :saywhat: :mad: I try not to flip a bit driving anymore (especially with the girls in the car), but this was the worst excuse for driving I have seen in a long, long time. :shakehead

-Kevin

cameraman
03-16-13, 03:41 PM
You're confusing me a bit. What is "straight-lining" a traffic circle? Here's one of the local circles:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/circle.jpg

What would straight-lining that entail? :confused:

Or this one...

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/Circle2.jpg

cameraman
03-16-13, 04:11 PM
Regarding roundabouts, the cool thing about Carmel, IN is that they built all these things with no standard curbing, radius, or anything. So driving through them efficiently is an interesting exercise in line, braking points, etc.

Those are some funky looking interchanges on the Keystone Parkway that you have there...

Indy
03-16-13, 05:48 PM
Those are some funky looking interchanges on the Keystone Parkway that you have there...

I would like to thank the people of Carmel for spending a gazillion dollars rebuilding that road. You probably cut ten minutes off my trip through your town, which is nice. :D

WickerBill
03-16-13, 09:42 PM
Keystone is very nice now. I mean, it still sucks terribly at 5pm, but otherwise, the roundabouts *do* seem to keep the traffic from backing up into the street and the merge into US31 is pretty seamless on the way up to Westfield.

Gnam
08-02-13, 03:55 PM
A 2000 Peterbilt semitractor trailer rig driven by 30-year-old Ryan T. Young of Owenton, Ky., was eastbound on I-74 approaching exit 132 when another vehicle began drifting into his lane. Young [said] he swerved to avoid the other vehicle and ran off the south side of the interstate where the semi ran up a hill then through the guardrail.

http://www.thedcregister.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11947:video-semi-ramps-off-i-74-then-lands-in-a-fiery-crash&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=44
You don't see that everyday. :eek: Good news is the truck driver walked away.

EwLk8p7tprc

Gnam
08-08-13, 07:42 PM
Lucky.

New Jersey is cracking down on motorists who stay in the left lane.

Gov. Chris Christie has signed into law a bill that raises the penalties for violating the state's keep-right law from $50 and $200 to between $100 and $300.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/23081699/nj-boosts-fines-for-left-lane-hogs

WickerBill
08-09-13, 07:28 AM
NICE! Now, if they don't enforce it, it is just politics, of course.

If I were a traffic cop (this could be its own thread) in an unmarked car, there would be spike in pull-overs for left lane lounging, lack of turn signals, and unsafe lane changes...

Are there ordinances against lane jumping? What could I pull someone over for (legitimately) when they pass a long line of traffic then dive-bomb into line right before the exit?

Elmo T
08-09-13, 08:42 AM
I'd like to add motorcycles using the shoulder or making their own lane down the center of stationary traffic. For every one bumper sticker I see about watching for cycles, I see 10 of these douches. :saywhat:

And you serious bicyclists, you tell me to respect you, etc, etc....well then follow the rules of the road. Don't blow stop signs in front of me or make your left turns from the shoulder across moving traffic behind you.

And you parents picking you kids up from camp? The asphalt parking lot is where you park and we all are here at the same time, yes. And yes, we all love our little pumpkins. But why do you think making your own parking spots in the grassy medians at the front of pick-up area is OK? And the handicap spaces doesn't mean the able-bodied can use them if they leave their cars running. I am talking to you driving the Bimmers and Volvo wagons. :flaming:

Now get off my lawn. ;)

KLang
08-09-13, 10:20 AM
NICE! Now, if they don't enforce it, it is just politics, of course.

If I were a traffic cop (this could be its own thread) in an unmarked car, there would be spike in pull-overs for left lane lounging, lack of turn signals, and unsafe lane changes...

Are there ordinances against lane jumping? What could I pull someone over for (legitimately) when they pass a long line of traffic then dive-bomb into line right before the exit?

I see the same crap every day. :mad:

I think for lane jumping it would be unsafe lane change or failure to yield. But I don't think anyone gets ticketed for these things until after the accident happens.

nrc
08-09-13, 10:45 AM
I'd like to add motorcycles using the shoulder or making their own lane down the center of stationary traffic. For every one bumper sticker I see about watching for cycles, I see 10 of these douches. :saywhat:

Some of these guys will point out that such idiocy is perfectly legal in their state. I think the intent is to allow cycles to split lanes in stationary or near stationary traffic. But they do it at freeway speeds, cutting between idiots who can't be trusted to maintain their own lane and past cars that aren't even blocked in their own lane, risking that they might change lanes at any time.

Andrew Longman
08-09-13, 03:39 PM
I drive I78 a lot. There are cars in the left lane because there is no room in the right lanes for any more cars. And as a pack I routinely cruise past troopers while doing 85 mph and they don't blink. Driving talledega is calmer. Christie is a blow hard and just looking for new ways to raise revenue.

nrc
10-18-13, 01:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bz2Zw2O.gif

mapguy
10-18-13, 06:43 PM
That's awesome :D

dando
10-19-13, 11:52 AM
I'd :laugh: but we just had a family from Iraq, six killed in a car wreck yesterday. They leave behind 5 children. Both parents and four girls. A local PD was responding to a robbery @ a local McDs. Ran a red light. None of them were buckled. :saywhat: :shakehead:

cameraman
11-18-13, 04:26 PM
I saw a new one last night, one of the fancy new computer controlled LED traffic lights where the computer had completely lost it. All of the lights were turning on and off in a rapid, random pattern, the intersection was like a Christmas tree. I've never seen a signal with all the lights on at the same time before. It was kind of pretty actually. Of course that didn't stop people from blowing through it as if only the green lights mattered not the yellow and red ones that were on at the same time:flaming:

dando
11-18-13, 04:40 PM
I was actually going to update this thread...what is up with the one-light vehicles these days? :saywhat:

Gnam
04-08-14, 04:03 PM
The San Jose Mercury runs a column called Mr. Roadshow. It's like Dear Abby, but instead of people complaining about their families, it's commuters complaining about traffic.

There was a letter yesterday that I could not believe:

I'm not bashing any car, and not only am a huge electric car fan, but also own one.

At first I merely found it intriguing, but now find it embarrassing to see that a growing majority of cars you see driving in the dark with their headlights out are electric cars, particularly a Prius.

I first thought that maybe Toyota had programmed the automatic headlight sensors to delay the lights coming on, but after talking to my Prius-owning neighbors, they all gleefully admit that they turn their headlights on manually only when it is difficult for "them" to see. I try to tell them that a major reason for headlights is so that others can see you! I had this conversation with my sister and she told me that she started delaying her headlight use on her electric car when she saw neighbors doing it, and thought is was a great idea to save her batteries.

Let's educate the public and stop this trend before it spreads to other electric vehicle owners and gives us all a black eye.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mr-roadshow/ci_25485422/roadshow-suv-bashing-has-eased-electric-cars-are
I have not seen this, but WTF? :shakehead:

SteveH
04-08-14, 04:24 PM

Gnam
04-09-14, 03:56 PM
I hate when concrete trucks run red lights in College Station, Texas.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/EXCLUSIVE-Man-Gets-Video-of-College-Station-Crash-254474071.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLZjq2vxD3Q#t=142

Elmo T
04-11-14, 03:55 PM
The hose was kinked so they tried to move the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lVasp52POs

Still had a big kink, but they made it work:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2nc3nnp.jpg

Gnam
04-11-14, 05:07 PM
:D It would have been easier to move out of the way if they flipped it over onto its roof first.

datachicane
04-29-14, 08:59 PM
There's a very narrow, windy, and beautiful road that runs between the small city I live in and the small town where I went to college. It's heavily wooded with some nice elevation changes. It's fabulous for pretending that you're Caracciola on the Nordschleife, until you come screaming around a corner behind a tractor or something similar. The best part is two low clearance railroad underpasses, each at the apex of a 10-mph corner. This is clearly not a road suitable for commercial traffic, and as there's a major highway a few miles North it doesn't get any.

Until now. Twice in two weeks some bozo in a tractor trailer has managed to wedge himself under one of the underpasses. This road would be a nightmare for a heavy truck even without the clearance problems. These things have been here for nearly 100 years, so it's not like it's a recent problem. I suspect they're getting creative trying to circumvent a weigh station...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OfYtCwucKe0/UT91rGzWK5I/AAAAAAAAE8Q/gwNBVsOr4mM/s800/bildea2.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-o-X7Cbi2csI/UT91rB2lHdI/AAAAAAAAE8U/BIU0naYhRy0/s800/bildea1.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LMQqUyiu-o0/UT91rNTC2aI/AAAAAAAAE8Y/JN8HjJJ0i_g/s800/bildeb1.jpg

Same underpass, different day.
This guy decided to just stand on it and jam it on through, now he gets to buy some new railroad hardware.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tuqL3zW5hS8/U2BJJQVlaAI/AAAAAAAAFao/pJoumM4SQJI/s800/struck-truck-river-road-1%255B1%255D.jpg

cameraman
04-29-14, 09:52 PM
Same underpass, different day.
This guy decided to just stand on it and jam it on through, now he gets to buy some new railroad hardware.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tuqL3zW5hS8/U2BJJQVlaAI/AAAAAAAAFao/pJoumM4SQJI/s800/struck-truck-river-road-1%255B1%255D.jpg

Did he knock the bridge off of its mounts or merely wreck the trailer?

datachicane
04-30-14, 12:18 AM
They just got it out- it was wedged firmly enough that it took over 11 hours to extract the truck, so the assessment of damage to the bridge isn't complete yet. By all reports it doesn't look good.

WickerBill
04-30-14, 08:53 AM
Looks like they need one of these:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QCcMTHCBJ4c/TQ3LVrgyAxI/AAAAAAAAD6I/xXIUc0uPJxc/s280/If%2BYou%2BHit%2BThis%2BSign%252C%2BYou%2BWill%2BH it%2BThat%2BBridge.jpg

Don Quixote
04-30-14, 09:12 AM
Just let some air out of the tires. :gomer:

opinionated ow
04-30-14, 10:09 AM
People who don't use their eyes...I was riding legally past parked cars the other day with a line of moving traffic on my right. All of a sudden a man in a van decided he was going to stop in front of the parked vehicles and ran straight into me. Thank goodness Toyota make Hi-Ace doors with soft skins...

Elmo T
06-06-14, 02:27 PM
Wilmington, DE yesterday:

http://i60.tinypic.com/i6zi1z.jpg

SteveH
06-06-14, 02:51 PM
:thumbup:

:laugh::rofl::laugh:

Don Quixote
06-06-14, 03:26 PM
:thumbup:

:laugh::rofl::laugh:I wonder if the idiot's insurance will pay for the windows.

Gnam
06-06-14, 08:15 PM
A good car commercial would be showing a montage of firefighters bashing out car windows to access fire hydrants until they come upon a [insert car name here] parked in front of one. Without hesitation, the first firefighter runs up and smashes out both windows. But, as he turns back to the fire with a single tear in his eye, he suddenly wakes up in the fire house. "What a nightmare!" he exclaims. A view of the fire house parking lot shows it to be full of [insert car name here].

Insomniac
06-07-14, 12:35 PM
Wilmington, DE yesterday:

http://i60.tinypic.com/i6zi1z.jpg

Could they have just run the hose under the car, or is there a technical reason the window is better.

cameraman
06-07-14, 12:59 PM
Not sure the fitting at the end of the hose would fit under the car.

gjc2
06-07-14, 01:39 PM

They could have gone over or around the car: they were just making a point.

Gnam
06-07-14, 01:57 PM
I was thinking they should have opened both doors and laid the hose on the seats.

Elmo T
06-07-14, 01:58 PM

That is a 5" diameter supply hose. Fully charged, they don't bend well if at all. Under the car would have caused major kink in line severely limiting the flow.

From the Chief of the Department on the incident:

Chief defends hose through window/ (http://www.statter911.com/2014/06/06/oops-hydrant-parking-comes-price/)

Now while there are some who may believe that this decision was inappropriate or maybe the firefighters should have taken more time going house to house searching for the vehicle owner, just take a moment to think if it had been your home on fire, your family unaccounted for, your family member who is the firefighter who is going into this burning structure! The WFD doesn’t condone acts of vandalism or unnecessary property damage during any emergency scene. At least no more than we condone illegally parking in front of the fire hydrants that we need in order to do our job of saving life and property!

So while this may be unfortunate, it was absolutely necessary!

As to whether I as the Chief of Fire for the Wilmington Fire Department condone the actions of the firefighter who made the decision to take this action and establish the much needed water supply. The answer is yes! I have too because it was the Chief of the WFD who put a axe through the driver and passenger windows and passed the 5 inch supply line through the vehicle!

KLang
06-07-14, 02:07 PM
I think parking in front of a hydrant like that should mean automatic forfeiture of the vehicle. Just stupid. :shakehead:

Insomniac
06-08-14, 01:03 PM
I have nothing against it, even if unnecessary. Never should've parked there, it's a safety hazard (and illegal). I was just more curious than anything. I'm all for it. :)

nrc
06-08-14, 01:37 PM
Pic on the link shows they've got a ticket on the windshield as well. The owner should be glad they didn't leave the hydrant on a for a bit after they disconnected the line.

JohnHKart
06-10-14, 02:48 AM
I had some jaywalkers almost walk into the side of my car after I drove by them today, that's how slow I was going. I saw them coming into the street as I arrived at a corner to turn right and so I just about stopped as I was making the corner and they still almost hit me. Idiots. I just about had completely stopped , and they decided to head into the street. Have had two pedestrian deaths here in south Whittier / La Mirada just one and 1.5 miles down the road, (both seniors out for early am stroll) there's going to be some more dead people real soon. I'm slowing down, but every one else is still doing 60 in a 45. It's coming.

nrc
09-15-14, 05:33 PM
Do you suppose when all this "self driving cars" ballyhoo comes to fruition they'll be able to program them to just keep right and stay out of everyone's way? Will the "drivers" of these vehicles grab the wheel and force them into the left land and fight with GoogleHAL to keep them there for miles on end? Because that's the tenacity that I see in those clinging to the left lane of I71 from Columbus to Cincy.

Gnam
09-15-14, 05:59 PM
I don't think so. Once relieved of the task of driving, people will happily disappear into their phones/screens until the vehicle comes to a stop. They won't care about 'making good time' as long as they have a strong wifi signal the whole way.

People driving "Manual" cars will be able to easily pass the drones because the first rule of robotics will be interpreted as "stay to the right." ;)

Andrew Longman
09-16-14, 11:10 AM
But much of the social benefit of self driving cars comes from cars traveling in formation at the same speed and closely spaced. That will allow far more cars to fit on currently clogged highways and they will travel faster rather than jammed up because everyone is trying to go a different speed.

But that only works if everyone on the highway has a robot car. The manual cars will not be allowed. That's what I've read anyhow. :rolleyes:

Personally I hate the idea and just choose to live where traffic jams are not an issue. :D

Elmo T
09-25-14, 08:39 AM
There is a long standing issue with police cars arriving at fire scenes and blocking the fire trucks. This is what can happen. :rofl::rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCT74Szg_sA

JohnHKart
09-26-14, 01:46 AM
The bridge height sign reminded me of this:

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-party-buses-20140920-story.html

Sheesh , never imagined teens would lose their lives hitting their heads on an underpass. Crazy.

Gnam
09-26-14, 02:44 AM
There is a long standing issue with police cars arriving at fire scenes and blocking the fire trucks. This is what can happen. :rofl::rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCT74Szg_sA
:D
Next time remind them that it's Protect and Serve, not block and **** up.

nrc
05-23-15, 12:05 AM
With the current fashion of sexy running lights I have a new annoyance. Certain brands - I've noticed mainly Chryslers - now turn off their sexy running light on one side when a turn signal is activated. This is probably to make sure the turn signal is visible. When it comes back on the result is a flash of white light that I sometimes see in my peripheral vision and for an instant mistake for an emergency vehicle.

Aside from that annoyance, the whole feature just looks cheap and poorly executed.

WickerBill
05-23-15, 08:31 AM
It isn't just Chrysler. And yes it looks awful even without the "flash".

opinionated ow
05-23-15, 09:29 AM
It isn't just Chrysler. And yes it looks awful even without the "flash".

Am I the only one in this world who hates the running lights? It's like having a vajazzle on the front of your car. It's vulgar.

WickerBill
05-23-15, 10:29 AM
I thought they looked fine on Audis when they first came out. but you knew, once Audi did it, everyone would follow and it wouldn't look as good.

SteveH
05-23-15, 02:00 PM
I thought they looked fine on Audis when they first came out. but you knew, once Audi did it, everyone would follow and it wouldn't look as good.

Audi's were and still are integrated into the body very nicely. For some manufacturers it appears they added the LED lights as an after thought and those look like crap.

What bothers me worse are the overly bright LED brake lights on some cars. Cadillac comes to mind. There are others.

opinionated ow
05-24-15, 12:30 AM
Audi's were and still are integrated into the body very nicely. For some manufacturers it appears they added the LED lights as an after thought and those look like crap.

What bothers me worse are the overly bright LED brake lights on some cars. Cadillac comes to mind. There are others.

The big thing we noticed in North America is that the blinkers are hard to spot. Under Australian Design Rules they must be orange and distinct from the brake/tail lights.

Kiwifan
05-24-15, 02:09 AM
The big thing we noticed in North America is that the blinkers are hard to spot. Under Australian Design Rules they must be orange and distinct from the brake/tail lights.

Yep noticed that too. Found it odd. Still love driving over there though, the drivers seem to be more aware of other drivers and are prepared to let you in if you want to change lanes. unlike here. :irked:

nrc
05-24-15, 03:13 PM
Amber turn indicators would be nice. Back in the olden days a lot of imports kept their standard amber rear turn indicators when they came over. Some domestics even adopted it even if it was just a fashion thing - some of them were just reflectors. I was always partial to it for turn indicators although it was sometimes less attractive.

Lately the imports have been switching to all red tail lights. That may be about cost or style but it may also be because their amber turn indicators are too small to meet U.S. regulations which require a minimum area for stop and turn indicators.

WickerBill
05-24-15, 07:01 PM
Unsure why - maybe a more angled nose on newer cars combined with clear lenses on front indicators - but I'm having more difficulty than I used to when at a stop sign in the daytime. If there is a car to my left or right, and they are turning away from me (i.e. in front of me if I intend to go straight), I often cannot see their signal until they've turned and I can glimpse the rear of the car.

So I have to refrain from yelling at them for not using a signal until I see the rear of the car, is what I'm telling you. :)

nrc
07-31-15, 12:27 PM
777 (http://www.zazzle.com/if_everyone_drove_a_prius_poster-228875217748912459)

chop456
08-03-15, 01:44 AM
:laugh:

cameraman
09-23-15, 01:28 PM
It's gonna be a long day for the road crew at Zion National Park:eek:

http://www.sltrib.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=tRrG2 NAl24EYxxHpHTZ3ls$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtw6vMj3r0BZ5r VoOoEs6k1WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Don Quixote
09-23-15, 02:31 PM
They love that stuff. This means they get to play with dynamite.

dando
09-23-15, 09:33 PM
They love that stuff. This means they get to play with dynamite.

My dad is a TV repair man. He's got an awesome set of tools. He can fix it. #Fast Times At Ridgemont High ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STeVTzWelns

:D

datachicane
10-06-15, 09:11 PM

Once more, with feeling.
Pretty sure I've missed a couple in between. Apparently it's the CDL equivalent of the kite-eating tree.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQE3m_PU8AAcPFw.jpg

nrc
10-07-15, 12:39 AM
Once more, with feeling.
Pretty sure I've missed a couple in between. Apparently it's the CDL equivalent of the kite-eating tree.

I wonder if Google Maps or some other navigation source suddenly started routing traffic that way.

nrc
11-28-16, 01:12 PM
Congratulations to the POS Toyota Corolla squatting in the left lane of I70 this morning. For almost a mile you successfully blocked two unmarked cars with emergency lights who were probably responding to the "active shooter" at OSU. :mad:

WickerBill
12-31-16, 03:29 PM
New thing seems to be taking hold in Indianapolis.

Braking hard in the middle of a two-lane road, coming to a complete stop, then turning left signal on.

I would be a terrible traffic cop because I would spend all day ticketing people for signal violations. Rolled through a neighborhood stop sign at 1mph? No problem. Held up traffic because you were too busy on your phone to activate your signal? Six weeks in federal prison.

nrc
01-01-17, 12:21 AM
New thing seems to be taking hold in Indianapolis.

Braking hard in the middle of a two-lane road, coming to a complete stop, then turning left signal on.

I would be a terrible traffic cop because I would spend all day ticketing people for signal violations. Rolled through a neighborhood stop sign at 1mph? No problem. Held up traffic because you were too busy on your phone to activate your signal? Six weeks in federal prison.

I dub you Marshall Wickerbill. Go make it right. Or left.

Gnam
01-01-17, 03:05 AM
The new thing out here is driving 35-45mph on the freeway with your hazard lights on.

At first you think they're having car trouble, but they never pull over and pass right by exits.
It's insane.

Elmo T
02-22-17, 11:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HppFNyqVOI

nrc
02-22-17, 12:58 PM
Ouch.

Ohio has a law requiring drivers to move over and leave an open lane for stopped emergency vehicles. You're allowed to just reduce speed if changing lanes would be unsafe but I'm amazed at how many vehicles ignore this even when they have ample opportunity to change lanes.

And the problem is not just a matter of hitting emergency responders on the traffic side of a stopped vehicle - people commonly run off the shoulder and hit stopped emergency vehicles with flashing lights. :mad:

Elmo T
02-22-17, 02:42 PM
people commonly run off the shoulder and hit stopped emergency vehicles with flashing lights. :mad:

Police Officers after sentencing hearing (http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/news/crime/police-officers-mark-buzby-left-and-michael-egan-after-sentencing/image_d3640887-bfb1-5718-9fae-b4c144626b71.html)

My brother-in-law and his partner in court after they were struck by a car. :flaming::flaming:

They were clearing after investigating a traffic accident - standing at the rear of their patrol car with warning lights flashing. DUI driver (a truck driver who after exceeding the allotted max time to drive on a CDL - then went to the bar) left the traveled part of the roadway, drove onto the right median at an intersection, and crushed Mark and Mike's legs between the two cars.

nrc
02-22-17, 11:33 PM
Police Officers after sentencing hearing (http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/news/crime/police-officers-mark-buzby-left-and-michael-egan-after-sentencing/image_d3640887-bfb1-5718-9fae-b4c144626b71.html)

My brother-in-law and his partner in court after they were struck by a car. :flaming::flaming:

They were clearing after investigating a traffic accident - standing at the rear of their patrol car with warning lights flashing. DUI driver (a truck driver who after exceeding the allotted max time to drive on a CDL - then went to the bar) left the traveled part of the roadway, drove onto the right median at an intersection, and crushed Mark and Mike's legs between the two cars.

Wow, that's terrible. :flaming: