PDA

View Full Version : The Canuckolympic thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Ankf00
02-23-10, 05:39 PM
couldn't care less about sequins on guys, but the russian mullet dude has apparently won the Platinum Medal for his athletic achievements in Vancouver, trumping the piddly Gold awarded to the american skater.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/In-Plushenko-s-mind-and-website-he-s-the-plat?urn=oly,221408

opinionated ow
02-23-10, 05:39 PM
:laugh: which is why he gets on so well with everyone on the world cup tour, because he's such a blowhard
My impression comes from his celebrations and interviews over the years and the guy comes across as a self gratificationist

if he had that union jack hybrid of AUS on his GS outfit you'd be posting on about what a great humanitarian and saintly figure he is :gomer:

Almost. He just needs to be from the Commonwealth ;):p

Methanolandbrats
02-23-10, 05:41 PM
self gratificationist
:saywhat:

opinionated ow
02-23-10, 05:43 PM
:saywhat:

polite way of saying w*****

Ankf00
02-23-10, 05:49 PM
I'm sure you've seen so many of his podium celebrations over the years, what with that aussie heavy lineup on the FIS men's alpine tour resulting in non-stop australian television coverage throughout ski season :laugh: I'd bet dollars to donuts you had absolutely no recollection of his salt lake results during the '06 media hype.

:rofl:

Don Quixote
02-23-10, 06:35 PM
I think you can say wanker on this site.

edit: yep :D

Ankf00
02-23-10, 08:20 PM
haven't looked up the men's GS results yet, but even if we don't medal, US Ski still carries 40% hit rate on all alpine medals awarded thus far.

oddlycalm
02-23-10, 10:25 PM
That was prolly back when you used to walk to school uphill both ways. :gomer: :p ;)

Gas was 21 cents/gal, why would we walk...? :p

oc

dando
02-23-10, 10:32 PM
Gas was 21 cents/gal, why would we walk...? :p

oc

Y'all had cars? *gasp* :p ;)

-Kevin

emjaya
02-23-10, 10:49 PM
Y'all had cars? *gasp* :p ;)

-Kevin

My cousins would drive a car to their front gate to catch the school bus. Big, big property.

Indy
02-24-10, 03:56 AM
self gratificationist

I am going to steal that. :laugh:

opinionated ow
02-24-10, 07:01 AM
I am going to steal that. :laugh:

Feel Free! :D

I'm sure you've seen so many of his podium celebrations over the years, what with that aussie heavy lineup on the FIS men's alpine tour resulting in non-stop australian television coverage throughout ski season I'd bet dollars to donuts you had absolutely no recollection of his salt lake results during the '06 media hype.

Ok smart alec. We don't see it regularly but there is the occasional bit of skiing on tv. And I still think he is full of himself:p

opinionated ow
02-24-10, 09:10 AM
OMG Svencouver disqualified in the 10,000m. :eek::saywhat:

TKGAngel
02-24-10, 09:11 AM
but the russian mullet dude has apparently won the Platinum Medal for his athletic achievements in Vancouver, trumping the piddly Gold awarded to the american skater.

He gets the gold (err, platinum) in the unsportsmanlike Olympics, for sure.

My cousins would drive a car to their front gate to catch the school bus. Big, big property.

We see that here in the suburbs where Buffy McMansioner drives Chip and Bitsy to the curb - which is about 100 feet from the front door - and waits in the giant SUV with them until the bus comes, lest her little darlings stand out in the cold. :rolleyes:

dando
02-24-10, 10:09 AM
Buckle up boys and girls...it's medal round time. :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
02-24-10, 01:55 PM
:thumbup: To Rochette for pulling the performance she did last night just two after her mom passed away unexpectedly.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/02/24/olympics.rochette/index.html?hpt=C1

-Kevin

TKGAngel
02-24-10, 02:05 PM
Buckle up boys and girls...it's medal round time. :thumbup:

-Kevin

You mean the Canucks and Russians are playing for the gold medal tonight? :p

dando
02-24-10, 02:18 PM
You mean the Canucks and Russians are playing for the gold medal tonight? :p

:gomer:

Thankfully only one of them will have a shot @ gold after tonight. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Gnam
02-24-10, 02:46 PM
OMG Svencouver disqualified in the 10,000m. :eek::saywhat:

Now I know who he is. :laugh:

Opposite Lock
02-24-10, 06:32 PM
USA HOCKEY SPOILER ALERT

USA hockey takes another. :thumbup:

Looking forward to Canada-Russia in a few hours. Go hosers!

TKGAngel
02-24-10, 08:45 PM
Hot diggity dog, that was a fun US-Switzerland game. I honestly expected a "Ryan Miller shutout" (meaning he gives up a softie) as the game wound down, but to actually surprise me with a shutout was excellent.

And Miller has become quite the star these games. His love life has already got him in the tabloids and he did an interview with Seacrest yesterday.

If we boil Canucks vs. Commies down to it's most basic elements, I'm rooting for the Canucks. Sid and Getzlaf trump Ovie and Malkin.

Opposite Lock
02-24-10, 09:25 PM
If we boil Canucks vs. Commies down to it's most basic elements, I'm rooting for the Canucks. Sid and Getzlaf trump Ovie and Malkin.

I'm widja, but for different reasons, namely Mssrs. Toews, Seabrook, and Keith. :D

And since Pittsburgh is generally my back-up city if Chicago is sucking, I'm a Sid fan too. Therefore I'm OK with Malkin too, sorta. But man, I love seeing Ovechkin getting beat (and beat on), and that 4-1 first period ruled. :thumbup::thumbup:

40 minutes to go.

Methanolandbrats
02-24-10, 10:31 PM
**** crash!..........Vonn throws it away and takes forever to get up.......red flag on the hill.........teammate and everyone else screwed. Her whining and ******** makes me sick :yuck: Now she's "doubtful" for tomorrow. WGAF. Either tape your hand to the stick and go or STFU.

opinionated ow
02-25-10, 08:59 AM
Lydia Lassila! Woot, another gold for Australia! :rofl::rofl: (not bad for a country with pretty much no snow).

KLang
02-25-10, 11:31 AM
On the Vonn/Mancuso incident, is it normal to send the next skier down before the previous person is done?

coolhand
02-25-10, 01:50 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/NBC-analyst-Mike-Milbury-not-a-fan-of-Russia-s-?urn=oly,224135

NBC analyst Mike Milbury not a fan of Russia's 'Eurotrash game'

:rofl: This guy is hilarious

dando
02-25-10, 02:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/NBC-analyst-Mike-Milbury-not-a-fan-of-Russia-s-?urn=oly,224135

NBC analyst Mike Milbury not a fan of Russia's 'Eurotrash game'

:rofl: This guy is hilarious

They don't call him Mad Mike for nothin'. :gomer:

He's right...the only thing more pathetic than the Russkies on ice performance was Ovie's explanation during his post-game interview. :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
02-25-10, 05:36 PM
Vonn pulled a Bode. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
02-25-10, 08:12 PM
They don't call him Mad Mike for nothin'. :gomer:

He's right...the only thing more pathetic than the Russkies on ice performance was Ovie's explanation during his post-game interview. :shakehead

-Kevin

The print media is not happy with Ovie for bailing out on interviews after last night's game. He spoke to NBC and then got the hell out of dodge.

Edit: Puck Daddy (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Ovechkin-takes-frustrations-out-on-fan-s-?urn=nhl,224273) has video of Ovie taking out his frustrations on a fan's camera.

oddlycalm
02-25-10, 10:57 PM
On the Vonn/Mancuso incident, is it normal to send the next skier down before the previous person is done?
Sometimes, due to weather factors. In the fog it seemed stupid dangerous. Problem is, we are seeing a half dozen top skiers on tv but there are many dozens of them to run, most of them with no chance at a to 25 finish let alone a medal, and with plenty of falls and delays. They probably need to look at a qualification round, but there are only so many days and only one hill.

Over all, that's the problem with the Olympics. Unlike World Cup you have dozens of lesser athletes from every corner of the world. It takes forever to get them all down the hill, often because they don't make it down the hill.

The other side of it is the course. If the course (skiing, sled, board, whatever) is designed to challenge the top athletes it's dangerous as hell for most of the field. At the Sapporo winter games the Japanese organizers made the downhill so easy that anyone could manage it but it was ridiculous for the top athletes. At another (Grenoble) one skier went off a cliff and smacked a tree at speed and was DOA. No catch fence.

oc

Ankf00
02-26-10, 01:04 AM
Over all, that's the problem with the Olympics. Unlike World Cup you have dozens of lesser athletes from every corner of the world. It takes forever to get them all down the hill, often because they don't make it down the hill.

oc

this. so on top of the fact that mancuso's mostly gassed from her run, she has to do it again after a bunch of other people have had their runs and rutted out the course even further in the process, so after she got her complete run she was completely out of contention

opinionated ow
02-26-10, 01:17 AM
this. so on top of the fact that mancuso's mostly gassed from her run, she has to do it again after a bunch of other people have had their runs and rutted out the course even further in the process, so after she got her complete run she was completely out of contention

I don't understand why they send people without waiting for the course to be cleared? Each clean run is about 90 seconds or so, so it surely wouldn't take much longer! Or if you want to cut down the fields, limit it to two from each nation like in Olympic swimming.

Ankf00
02-26-10, 03:12 AM
oddlycalm's post explains it all

Michaelhatesfans
02-26-10, 03:18 AM
I don't understand why they send people without waiting for the course to be cleared? Each clean run is about 90 seconds or so, so it surely wouldn't take much longer!

And even if someone goes down, more often than not, it's back brace/stretcher/clear the course. Unless someone's really hurt, it shouldn't take that long to get things rolling again.

Anyway, it's not like they've got to throw down some quick dry, wait for the wreckers to return to their stations, sweep the course, and make sure that Dale Jr. has finished his pit stop and rejoined the pack.

:cool:

Michaelhatesfans
02-26-10, 03:19 AM
oddlycalm's post explains it all

Don't they always? He's like following Hendrix.

opinionated ow
02-26-10, 03:20 AM
How completely awesome is Joannie Rochette, a bronze after everything she's been through this week! :cool:
http://www.cjbk.com/files/feeds/2_1_5501562_o0223115A.jpg

Ankf00
02-26-10, 03:43 AM
And even if someone goes down, more often than not, it's back brace/stretcher/clear the course. Unless someone's really hurt, it shouldn't take that long to get things rolling again.

it almost always takes a long time to clear a course after a crash, between inspecting the injured, repairing the gates, and possibly rebuilding/altering some of the course

Michaelhatesfans
02-26-10, 04:23 AM
it almost always takes a long time to clear a course after a crash, between inspecting the injured, repairing the gates, and possibly rebuilding/altering some of the course

The first two, sure - but I've never noticed them needing to rebuild a ski run? Likewise, if you alter the course mid-competition, wouldn't that screw up the times for everyone else?

Ankf00
02-26-10, 04:39 AM
moreso if there's wind slabs / cornices that have built up on the far edges of the course closer to the netting that might can be a danger if someone's sliding down out of control

this one chick a few days ago went flying off a roller when she was on her back after a crash and course workers were shoveling away to flatten it out for a while

TKGAngel
02-26-10, 08:32 AM
Thanks for sharing the skiing knowledge. One thing I noticed this year is the blue spray paint on the snow around the flags. Is that another aid to help skiiers along? I can't recall seeing it at previous Games.

And the Canadian women's hockey team got the IOC's panties in a twist by bringing beer and cigars on the ice (http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2010/icehockey/news/story?id=4947716) after last night's game to celebrate their gold. Can the IOC take a chill pill already?

Andrew Longman
02-26-10, 10:22 AM
Of course they brought beer. They're Canadians!

Michaelhatesfans
02-26-10, 01:04 PM
Thanks for sharing the skiing knowledge. One thing I noticed this year is the blue spray paint on the snow around the flags. Is that another aid to help skiiers along?

Yes - I had to step down from a rant earlier this month because of that stuff:laugh:. My first thought was that it was a TV graphic, ala NFL first down stripes that are superimposed on the screen. I went into a rant about how everything is too dumbed down for the TV viewer about the time that the announcer mentioned how it was painted on the snow for the skiier. I went very quiet as Mrs. MHF gave me that look...:o

dando
02-26-10, 02:31 PM
One thing I noticed this year is the blue spray paint on the snow around the flags. Is that another aid to help skiiers along? I can't recall seeing it at previous Games.

Yeah, that's new for these games. They even had it all over the half pipe to help give the skiers visual cues. Not sure why the change for Vancouver.

-Kevin

G.
02-26-10, 02:38 PM
Yeah, that's new for these games. They even had it all over the half pipe to help give the skiers visual cues. Not sure why the change for Vancouver.

-KevinTo help the Canadians. They're all drunk.

dando
02-26-10, 04:08 PM
Thank you, Kipper. :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
02-26-10, 04:30 PM
:eek:

6-0 barely 8 minutes into the game. :eek: :eek::eek: :thumbup:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
02-26-10, 04:48 PM
Mark my words. Miller will give up a softie, thus making the "Ryan Miller Shutout" a part of the American sports lexicon.

Edit: It doesn't count that Tim Thomas was the one that gave up the goal. :)

Opposite Lock
02-26-10, 04:51 PM
Twenty Cent with a pair already! :w00t: :thumbup:

oddlycalm
02-26-10, 05:02 PM
Yes - I had to step down from a rant earlier this month because of that stuff :laugh:

Don't you just hate it when a perfectly good rant goes down in the face of reality? :laugh:

If it's any comfort I've discovered you can get the same exact reaction by explaining how curling is scored to pretty much anyone not familiar with the game. :D

oc

Ankf00
02-26-10, 05:14 PM
seen the paint marks in halfpipe and downhill for a while. seeing them in grand slalom was certainly shocking, though.

Ankf00
02-26-10, 11:28 PM
ohno pushes the canadian who falls gets dqed, canadian who pushes the korean who falls doesnt? wut?

Methanolandbrats
02-26-10, 11:38 PM
ohno pushes the canadian who falls gets dqed, canadian who pushes the korean who falls doesnt? wut?
That crap reminds me of NASCAR, who cares.

SurfaceUnits
02-27-10, 03:26 AM
How completely awesome is Joannie Rochette, a bronze after everything she's been through this week! :cool:

she learnt English by watching Scooby Doo :laugh:

emjaya
02-27-10, 04:07 AM

Canadian judge. ;)

Gnam
02-27-10, 04:49 AM
U.S. vs. Canada puck rematch sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!

watching the crowd cheer for Canada is pretty cool. Almost makes me want to root for them. almost. :p

Ankf00
02-27-10, 06:22 AM
Canadian judge. ;)

and in the relay when the korean BLATANTLY pushes the chinese into the wall in the final turn, no call.

whiskey. tango. foxtrot.

opinionated ow
02-27-10, 08:56 AM
and in the relay when the korean BLATANTLY pushes the chinese into the wall in the final turn, no call.

whiskey. tango. foxtrot.

When the Australian judge disqualified South Korea in the relay the other night, a South Korean man rang the Aussie embassy in Seoul with a bomb threat. After that I think they'd all be paranoid

TKGAngel
02-27-10, 10:08 AM
When the Australian judge disqualified South Korea in the relay the other night, a South Korean man rang the Aussie embassy in Seoul with a bomb threat. After that I think they'd all be paranoid

NBC also said that the same judge was scheduled to work last night's events, but was pulled when he received death threats.

And MSNBC got punk'd by a fake Ryan Miller guaranteeing a gold against Canada. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/MSNBC-falls-for-fake-Ryan-Miller-prank-offers-o?urn=nhl,224628#remaining-content) After the Real Ryan Miller found out, the network actually interrupted Hardball to correct the previous story and air an interview with the Miller. I'm sad Miller's good name got dragged into all of this, but at least he's taking it in good humor.

Indy
02-27-10, 11:45 AM
Ohno was robbed. Didn't handle the interview very well, I thought, but he was right.

Nothin' like home cookin', baby.

dando
02-27-10, 05:23 PM
Bode. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Indy
02-27-10, 08:27 PM
Nice pants on the Norway curlers. :gomer:

High Sided
02-28-10, 12:01 AM
Geoff Bodines Bo Dyn bobsled ends 62 year drought for team usa's 4man bobsled. :thumbup:

http://olympics.fanhouse.com/2010/02/27/us-snaps-62-year-drought-in-four-man-bobsled/

Ankf00
02-28-10, 03:52 AM
Ohio State. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Elmo T
02-28-10, 12:55 PM
iqHMooXYZ1U

oddlycalm
02-28-10, 05:30 PM
Those bobsled uniforms, both genders, seem to cry out for some kinda minimum standards...:gomer: A bit more information than we really need it seems. :) Then there are the structural integrity issues...:eek:

oc

yS7dsdVMh0s

TKGAngel
02-28-10, 07:00 PM
Great bleeping game this afternoon. Miller's tears about did me in.

opinionated ow
02-28-10, 07:29 PM
GOOOOOOOO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold for the Commonwealth :D

SurfaceUnits
02-28-10, 08:33 PM
Winnie the Pooh was a real live bear found outside of Winnipeg, Canada, hence the name Winnie.

Ankf00
02-28-10, 08:44 PM
GOOOOOOOO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold for the Commonwealth :D

lucky for us we dont have to live vicariously through others we have 0 in common with other than a former crown.

TKGAngel
02-28-10, 08:47 PM
Be nice. :)

I do have to say that O Canada is one of the best anthems to have sing-a-longs to. The crowd singing in Hockey Place today was amazing. As was their classiness in applauding the US Team, specially Millsie and Kesler.

Are we all ready to wrap up our trip to Canuckistan with a rousing performance by Neil Young, Nickelback and Avril Lavigne?

emjaya
02-28-10, 09:51 PM
I would just like to thank our local broadcaster for not only delaying the telecast of the USA/Canada match, but then anouncing the result of the game at the end of the second period. :flame: :shakehead

opinionated ow
02-28-10, 10:01 PM
lucky for us we dont have to live vicariously through others we have 0 in common with other than a former crown.

Actually the similarities between Canada and Australia run much further than our head of state.

dando
02-28-10, 11:58 PM
OK, so NBC inserts The Marriage Ref in the midst of the closing ceremonies?!?! :saywhat: :shakehead :irked:

-Kevin

dando
03-01-10, 12:23 AM
I do have to say that O Canada is one of the best anthems to have sing-a-longs to.

How the **** do you think the tune was written? Our anthem was written by a dude in a jail...Canadia's was prolly written in a pub. :gomer:

Great game from the bits I caught...had to unpack after our arrival in WDW, and then had to leave for dinner as the OT was about to begin. :saywhat: Ah well...this bunch wasn't supposed to medal let alone play in the gold medal game. Well done, boys. :thumbup:

-Kevin

G.
03-01-10, 12:25 AM
Self-depreciating humor is yet another thing that Canadians suck at. :p

TKGAngel
03-01-10, 10:19 AM
Giant inflatable beavers & moose coupled with giant air hockey pieces, trampy Mounties, the Shat and Michael Buble made that ceremony look like the Macy's parade on acid.

Also, if Ovechkin is going to be the symbol of the Sochi games, the least he could do is pull. up. his pants. while on national TV. I really didn't need to know that he wears D&G underwears.

KLang
03-01-10, 12:12 PM
The closing ceremony was rather bizarre. :laugh:

Overall an entertaining Olympics for me. :thumbup:

Ankf00
03-01-10, 03:04 PM
too bad sydney already had their olympics, just imagine the possibilities

inflatable wombats
inflatable tasmanian devils
inflatable wallabies
inflatable roos
inflatable dingos
inflatable koalas
inflatable can kill you with one sting jellyfish
inflatable can kill you with one sting octopi
inflatable can swallow you with one fell chomp salt water crocodiles
inflatable elle mcpherson
inflatable russell crowe!

Methanolandbrats
03-01-10, 04:22 PM

inflatable wombats
inflatable wallabies
inflatable roos
inflatable dingos
inflatable koalas

an enormous vomit float....

oddlycalm
03-01-10, 04:40 PM
The Russian president is demanding resignations from their coaching staff. :gomer:

oc

Elmo T
03-01-10, 04:40 PM

5xtVipOjTEE

TravelGal
03-01-10, 06:46 PM
Also, if Ovechkin is going to be the symbol of the Sochi games, the least he could do is pull. up. his pants. while on national TV. I really didn't need to know that he wears D&G underwears.

I didn't find it nearly as offensive as that dolt from London. After the immaculate Beijing games, he comes on the stage looking like something the cat dragged in.

opinionated ow
03-01-10, 07:01 PM

inflatable wombats
inflatable wallabies
inflatable roos
inflatable dingos
inflatable koalas
We had inflatable roos in Atlanta. We had giant thongs, surf lifesavers and goodness only knows what else in Sydney

emjaya
03-01-10, 07:41 PM

Like there's not already one of those in your wardrobe. ;)

Kiwifan
03-01-10, 08:48 PM
Now that's funny. :)

Ankf00
03-01-10, 11:56 PM
bah, that was elementary school, I upgraded to Petra Nemcova years back.

cameraman
03-02-10, 01:11 PM
Well we had, umm errr, ghost bison

TrueBrit
03-02-10, 01:18 PM
I didn't find it nearly as offensive as that dolt from London. After the immaculate Beijing games, he comes on the stage looking like something the cat dragged in.

The dolt's name is Boris Johnson and he is a complete and utter tool...He is the new (at the time) Mayor of London and had absolutely bugger all to do with landing the games. That was much more to do with his predecessor Ken Livingstone who will hopefully wrest the seat back from Boris in 2012.

Ankf00
03-02-10, 07:37 PM
the name "Boris Johnson" sounds like a Yank/Soviet hybrid manchurian candidate sent to conquer the crown :D

nrc
03-03-10, 01:22 AM
The dolt's name is Boris Johnson and he is a complete and utter tool...He is the new (at the time) Mayor of London and had absolutely bugger all to do with landing the games. That was much more to do with his predecessor Ken Livingstone who will hopefully wrest the seat back from Boris in 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXEETMgyhR8#t=04m55s

opinionated ow
03-09-10, 10:30 AM
Another runaway Toyota of Doom goes berzerk. Tragedy is narrowly averted when an automotive controls mentat from the CHP is called in to instruct the driver on how to stop.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota-chp9-2010mar09,0,3699926.story?track=rss

Ok...the only Olympic thing I can come up with is LA had the Olympics in 1932 and 1984.

nrc
03-09-10, 01:53 PM
Ok...the only Olympic thing I can come up with is LA had the Olympics in 1932 and 1984.

Wrong thread? What? Who me? :gomer:

opinionated ow
03-09-10, 07:28 PM
Wrong thread? What? Who me? :gomer:

Caught you ;):p