PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2010 Offseason

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Insomniac
08-10-10, 08:01 PM
The big challenge will be the Thanksgiving night game against the Jets which is on NFL Network. Do you suppose Thanksgiving dinner at a sports bar would fly?

You won't have to worry about that if you're at home. All games are shown over the air in their home markets (unless blacked out). The NFL Network feed will be on a local station. (This also goes for MNF on ESPN).

nrc
08-10-10, 08:42 PM
All the games not on national TV also air multiple times on NFL Network. Not sure how they'll be handling the announcing team shown this year.

Also, for die hards, $40 to watch the games live online.

Speaking of online, has anyone tried the NFL Rewind package that offers all the games online starting the day after? With that, if the game isn't on I would just have to stay in a cave for a day.

Don Quixote
08-15-10, 07:23 PM
Pretty happy that the local affiliate switched away from the PGA on the 18th hole for this vastly important pre-season game.

dando
08-15-10, 07:34 PM
Pretty happy that the local affiliate switched away from the PGA on the 18th hole for this vastly important pre-season game.

:eek: Brilliant! Especially after the epic grounding the club call on Dustin Johnson. It ain't a bunker if you let people trample through it, folks. :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
08-15-10, 08:33 PM
So the Bungles still need a K and I am rapidly losing faith in CP. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Don Quixote
08-15-10, 08:56 PM
Dando, I'm only going to say this once. It's pre-season. :gomer:

dando
08-15-10, 09:04 PM
Dando, I'm only going to say this once. It's pre-season. :gomer:

I'm sorry, I can't hear you while I'm on the roof. :gomer:

Could be worse, I guess...we could have Queen and Teblow as our backups. :p

-Kevin

Don Quixote
08-15-10, 09:54 PM
So, Tebow may not win the league mvp this year?

dando
08-15-10, 10:43 PM
So, Tebow may not win the league mvp this year?

He who is named Tebow shall henceforth be named The Son of John. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

WickerBill
08-16-10, 06:23 AM
I'd rather have Tebow as my backup than Palmer the Lesser and Chain O'Restaurant...

dando
08-16-10, 09:23 AM
I'd rather have Tebow as my backup than Palmer the Lesser and Chain O'Restaurant...

The Who Deys certainly don't have much backing up CP, which is a concern. Let's see what Teblow can do against 1st stringers, tho. He threw a couple of good balls, but also a couple of potential picks.

-Kevin

nrc
08-16-10, 10:01 AM
So the Bungles still need a K and I am rapidly losing faith in CP. :saywhat: :shakehead

I didn't think Palmer played badly. He moved the ball in spite of a spotty running game and both of the first two drives should have produced points.

I agree. As much as I hate the orange and blue jeebus air around Tebow, the Bengals could probably find better backups on the street at this point.

dando
08-16-10, 10:24 AM
I didn't think Palmer played badly. He moved the ball in spite of a spotty running game and both of the first two drives should have produced points.

He looked better on his last drive (after my post). I still saw too many high throws...especially the 3rd down in the red zone when TO was open and the throw was high and behind TO w/no pressure from the D. :saywhat:

I may have jumped the shark on the kicking game. Rayner finished 4 of 5 after a BAD first attempt. Nuge didn't have a FG attempt, but seemed to be pushing the ball on his PATs. I'm obviously pulling for Nuge, but it looks like he's the odd man out @ this point. :(

In other news, looks like we've got a winner in Ship. :thumbup: Some tough choices will be coming on the WRs. And the punt return tandem was awesome. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
08-16-10, 11:03 AM
I think we can all agree, it's the year of the Browns.

racermike
08-16-10, 02:20 PM

-Kevin

Ocho Cinco can kick

dando
08-16-10, 02:47 PM
Ocho Cinco can kick

They actually talked about that during the game. :D

-Kevin

dando
08-16-10, 03:11 PM
I think we can all agree, it's the year of the Browns.

Colt McBoy. He's just that good. :gomer: Luckily his QB rating Sat was higher than VY's Wonderlic score. :D :p

-Kevin

nrc
08-16-10, 09:31 PM
He looked better on his last drive (after my post). I still saw too many high throws...especially the 3rd down in the red zone when TO was open and the throw was high and behind TO w/no pressure from the D. :saywhat:

Yeah, having Champ Bailey out of the game will do that for you. Palmer was 5/8 on the first two drives and 7/7 on the third. They're scheming for reps at this point, not weaknesses.

I may have jumped the shark on the kicking game. Rayner finished 4 of 5 after a BAD first attempt. Nuge didn't have a FG attempt, but seemed to be pushing the ball on his PATs. I'm obviously pulling for Nuge, but it looks like he's the odd man out @ this point. :(

Speculation is that they limited Nugent because of his injury. Lapham said that Nugent still has the inside line but that the Bengals might very well look to the waiver wire if someone doesn't start to impress.

In other news, looks like we've got a winner in Ship. :thumbup: Some tough choices will be coming on the WRs. And the punt return tandem was awesome. :thumbup: :thumbup:

At this point I would not be surprised to see Antonio Bryant either on PUP for the start of the season or just released with an injury settlement.

Insomniac
08-18-10, 03:42 PM
Speaking of online, has anyone tried the NFL Rewind package that offers all the games online starting the day after? With that, if the game isn't on I would just have to stay in a cave for a day.

I almost went down that route, but DirecTV gave me a good price on NFLST this year. I know a couple people (one is a beat reporter) who have it and I haven't heard any complaints.

If you can get yourself a foreign IP, there is an international live online package, but was either $200 or a little more for the season.

dando
08-20-10, 08:36 PM
CP being CP yet again. :saywhat: I'm really beginning to become a doubter on him. :irked:

EDIT: we might need Ocho as a PK. :irked: In other news, I like the Bengals new unis. :D

-Kevin

stroker
08-21-10, 09:25 AM
Anyone know what the Las Vegas line is on a Detroit/Cleveland Superbowl?

:D

Don Quixote
08-21-10, 12:09 PM
Anyone know what the Las Vegas line is on a Detroit/Cleveland Superbowl?

:DInfinity to one

stroker
08-21-10, 06:46 PM
Infinity to one

sounds like a $5 bet to me, then! :cool:

dando
08-29-10, 06:32 PM
Antonio Bryant waived. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5509631) $8m tossed out the window. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
08-29-10, 06:47 PM
quan, ship, ced, muck

you guys are doing alright :D

Gnam
08-30-10, 01:43 PM
Hurry-Up (and wait for the Umpire) Offense
Manning and Brees say they don't want to wait for the Umpire to get in position. Umpire says slow down cochise and have a 5 yard penalty.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-umpire-rule-change-may-be-tweaked-but-here-to-stay

I say put a harness on the Umpire and let him fly above the action on wires. :gomer:

WickerBill
08-30-10, 03:52 PM
Refs should be invisible. Should never change the pace of the game. And I mean it -- they should also have laser-assisted first down markers and eliminate the "drama" of the freaking chain gang. Let the game move. Don't let the defense rest because the offense moved the ball 10.025 yards.

stroker
08-30-10, 04:10 PM
I say put a harness on the Umpire and let him fly above the action on wires. :gomer:

Sounds a lot like "Dune"....

Gnam
09-04-10, 05:11 PM
Arizona - Matt Leinart = Derek Anderson?
Does not compute.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/09/04/sports/s121633D60.DTL&tsp=1

Hope the Rams pick up Leinart. Arizona is their first game.

nrc
09-05-10, 02:33 AM
Houshyermama now, T.J.?

Methanolandbrats
09-05-10, 07:09 AM
Refs should be invisible. Should never change the pace of the game. And I mean it -- they should also have laser-assisted first down markers and eliminate the "drama" of the freaking chain gang. Let the game move. Don't let the defense rest because the offense moved the ball 10.025 yards.

They should also get rid of TV timeouts and the halftime should be 15 minutes. Football should take a little over two hours, not four and a half. I know it's all about making money and has nothing to do with sport, so none of this will happen, but it would be nice.

Insomniac
09-05-10, 02:39 PM
They should also get rid of TV timeouts and the halftime should be 15 minutes. Football should take a little over two hours, not four and a half. I know it's all about making money and has nothing to do with sport, so none of this will happen, but it would be nice.

Not including OT, they do a good job of keeping the game at right around 3 hours. Halftime is also only 12 minutes long (20 during the Super Bowl).

Insomniac
09-05-10, 02:40 PM

Bill Polian's check is in the mail. ;)

Methanolandbrats
09-05-10, 03:41 PM
Not including OT, they do a good job of keeping the game at right around 3 hours. Halftime is also only 12 minutes long (20 during the Super Bowl).

It seems much, much longer :gomer:

WickerBill
09-05-10, 07:22 PM
Bill Polian's check is in the mail. ;)

haha. But let's be honest, the whole chain gang measurement in the last two minutes of a half is always a huge assist to the defense. It unbalances a two minute drill.

Insomniac
09-06-10, 11:19 AM
haha. But let's be honest, the whole chain gang measurement in the last two minutes of a half is always a huge assist to the defense. It unbalances a two minute drill.

I wouldn't say it unbalances a 2-min drill though. The offense gets a clock stoppage. They can get set (call multiple plays) and be ready to snap as soon as the ball is ready for play. Generally speaking, the defense doesn't request a measurement. The offense does to get that new set of downs or to get an idea of how far they need to go to select a play.

I don't disagree with what you say, but at the same time, the NFL has tilted the rules to favor the offense greatly. The scoring has shot through the roof this past decade. I think people have been a little over-dramatic on the impact of the umpire change. The league already had put a delay in no-huddle for substitutions. We're talking about 1-2s a snap at most. I think this will be like the Dallas scoreboard issue. People complained, demonstrated problems with the thing, but when it mattered, everyone adjusted and it wasn't a problem.

WickerBill
09-06-10, 11:41 AM
I wouldn't say it unbalances a 2-min drill though. The offense gets a clock stoppage. They can get set (call multiple plays) and be ready to snap as soon as the ball is ready for play. Generally speaking, the defense doesn't request a measurement. The offense does to get that new set of downs or to get an idea of how far they need to go to select a play.

But what if they already have multiple plays called and the defense is on its heels (as often happens)?

I just don't understand the reliance on 1950s "technology" to measure ten yards, and the frankly stupid amount of time it takes to bring in the official chains (sometimes clear across the field, making the players do jump-rope), when it could take 2-3 seconds with some early 1990s tech.

dando
09-06-10, 12:42 PM
But what if they already have multiple plays called and the defense is on its heels (as often happens)?

I just don't understand the reliance on 1950s "technology" to measure ten yards, and the frankly stupid amount of time it takes to bring in the official chains (sometimes clear across the field, making the players do jump-rope), when it could take 2-3 seconds with some early 1990s tech.

I agree with you, but I have one word for you: union. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
09-06-10, 12:46 PM
TJ to the Ravens. :saywhat: :mad: :irked: :eek:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5539093

-Kevin

Insomniac
09-06-10, 02:20 PM

I agree they should be using more advanced technology. I'd say the drawback to that is then you start to talk about the entire procedure. Chip the ball and have a real accurate 10 yards? I've always found it comical that they measure 10 yards in so much detail, but there isn't all that much detail placed on setting the sticks in the first place. I suppose once they're set, the offense and defense both know what the first down line will be, but it's still amusing to me.

I think in the grand scheme of things, so many things will slow it down. Penalties, ball placement, injuries, challenges, etc. I think they're all on par with each other in terms of how often they cause a delay during the 2 min drill over the course of a season.

Insomniac
09-06-10, 02:22 PM
I agree with you, but I have one word for you: union. :saywhat:

-Kevin

I don't think the union would have any say in it, unless you're talking about the full time laser system some people proposed. Then you'd have the whole safety issue if the lasers could cause vision issues/damage. But something that you could turn on and off (like a laser level) from the actual stick could work.

Insomniac
09-06-10, 02:23 PM
NFL Network has confirmed that Joe Theismann will join Bob Papa & Matt Millen in the booth for its game coverage this season.
:rolleyes:

WickerBill
09-06-10, 02:33 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Someone break his leg!

Don Quixote
09-06-10, 10:12 PM
please dear God no.