PDA

View Full Version : WC2010

Pages : 1 [2] 3

WickerBill
06-19-10, 07:07 AM
I can't believe how little they attacked. In a Prem or La Liga game, when the favored team is down 1 or tied, with about 10 minutes to go all of a sudden it's a blitzkrieg (ok, Bundesliga too ;) ) with shot after shot, corner after corner. England looked to be playing for a draw.

Of course, it makes things much easier for the USA. If the US wins, we're through. That simple. If we draw and Eng-Slv draw, we're also through (barring some scoring outburst from the English... LOL)

opinionated ow
06-19-10, 07:24 AM
Australia gets another chance to lose tonight. How many can we lose by to Ghana? I'd like to see the socceroos rescue their disastrous campaign by breaking the record for greatest loss-it currently stands at 9 by South Korea (v Hungary in 1954), Zaire (v Yugoslavia in 1974) and El Salvador (v Hungary in 1982). I reckon 10 should be easy...

(oh and go New Zealand and I'm in no way related to a sheep)

eiregosod
06-19-10, 08:15 AM
I can't believe how little they attacked. In a Prem or La Liga game, when the favored team is down 1 or tied, with about 10 minutes to go all of a sudden it's a blitzkrieg (ok, Bundesliga too ;) ) with shot after shot, corner after corner. England looked to be playing for a draw.

Of course, it makes things much easier for the USA. If the US wins, we're through. That simple. If we draw and Eng-Slv draw, we're also through (barring some scoring outburst from the English... LOL)

I believe that rooney is injured, he wasn't his usual in-your-face tracking back and hustling and sprinting 30 yards to get into position. His first touch is poor as well.

Heskey shoud not be in the squad at all.

Lampard and Gerrard, hey're not playing with similar players from their clubs.

Advancement is still in England's hands.

dando
06-19-10, 10:45 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5304289/ce/us/fifa-ax-us-slovenia-ref-wc?cc=5901&ver=us

Malian referee Koman Coulibaly, criticized for disallowing a potentially U.S.-winning goal off a free kick in Friday's U.S.-Slovenia World Cup clash, may be dropped by FIFA for the rest of the World Cup, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

Citing a FIFA source, the report says Coulibaly is poised to face an expedited performance review from the refereeing committee of world football's governing body. Officials plan to review footage on Saturday from the Group C, 2-2 draw to evaluate Coulibaly's performance after several U.S. players blasted his handling of the match, Yahoo said.

:thumbup:

And as Bradley noted in his comments in the video, the only call that could/should have been made was a penalty kick for the US. :irked:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
06-19-10, 11:07 AM
They need to check his offshore bank account. :gomer:

eiregosod
06-19-10, 02:17 PM

one theory is that due to the altitude training England have done over the past few weeks has run them down.

The USA team trains at sea level (maybe due to confed cup experience)

TrueBrit
06-20-10, 11:59 AM
one theory is that due to the altitude training England have done over the past few weeks has run them down.

..or they suck...

Capello needs to start Crouch and Joe Cole..no clue why they have been so marginalized..hells bells at least Lampard, and the Coles know how to play together..the rest of them look like they've never even met..

Oh, and England, take a look at the Kiwis game today for an idea about what heart and pride looks like..

chop456
06-20-10, 03:33 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8750302.stm

:laugh:

Don Quixote
06-20-10, 04:56 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8750302.stm

What is it with frenchies and drama? :laugh:

Ankf00
06-21-10, 02:44 AM
Drama Cup 2010

eiregosod
06-21-10, 04:19 AM
..or they suck...

Capello needs to start Crouch and Joe Cole..no clue why they have been so marginalized..hells bells at least Lampard, and the Coles know how to play together..the rest of them look like they've never even met..

Oh, and England, take a look at the Kiwis game today for an idea about what heart and pride looks like..

seems as if the team is about to tell Capello to sod off

dando
06-21-10, 09:43 AM
Porties. :eek:

Kim Jong Ils :laugh: *finger*

-Kevin

Napoleon
06-21-10, 12:10 PM
I heard on the radio this weekend that for the North Korean game everyone was surprised when a bunch of Asians cheering the North Koreans since it is a closed society that doesn't give out passports very freely.

Ends up they were Chinese actors the North Koreans paid to act as fans (seriously).

dando
06-21-10, 12:15 PM
I heard on the radio this weekend that for the North Korean game everyone was surprised when a bunch of Asians cheering the North Koreans since it is a closed society that doesn't give out passports very freely.

Ends up they were Chinese actors the North Koreans paid to act as fans (seriously).

Yup. I read that as well. :shakehead

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/15/sports/la-sp-north-korea-sidebar-20100616

xh_9QhRzJEs

:D :gomer:

-Kevin

NismoZ
06-21-10, 07:01 PM
Red card the French. ALL of 'em. Their next game to consist of one open goal penalty kick. (Of course, the way things have been going, it'll probably hit the post dead on)

dando
06-21-10, 07:13 PM
Red card the French. ALL of 'em. Their next game to consist of one open goal penalty kick. (Of course, the way things have been going, it'll probably hit the post dead on)

Karma. Hand of God II. France Surrenders. :gomer:

-Kevin

NismoZ
06-21-10, 08:25 PM
Exactly, I was trying to dream up a WWll Vichy comparo but figured why bother...it all makes such complete sense!

dando
06-22-10, 10:30 AM
France surrenders...cappy benched for today's match vs. RSA. :laugh: :shakehead Karma.

-Kevin

chop456
06-22-10, 12:20 PM
I'm a little ignant as to the pecking order - should Uruguay have beaten Mexico?

dando
06-22-10, 12:25 PM
I'm a little ignant as to the pecking order - should Uruguay have beaten Mexico?

IMO, that was a push. As was posted earlier in this thread, Mexico is an under achiever and did not have a stellar resume heading into the WC.

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-22-10, 02:06 PM
IMO, that was a push. As was posted earlier in this thread, Mexico is an under achiever and did not have a stellar resume heading into the WC.

-Kevin

after last year's gold cup final where they shellacked us 5-0, mexico's been solid.

their triangle game and possession has been excellent the few months, a bad 2nd half against RSA doesnt take away the fact they got Edu's on the first goal of the tournament and should've been in the drivers seat going into this game in the first place

dando
06-22-10, 02:14 PM
after last year's gold cup final where they shellacked us 5-0, mexico's been solid.

their triangle game and possession has been excellent the few months, a bad 2nd half against RSA doesnt take away the fact they got Edu's on the first goal of the tournament and should've been in the drivers seat going into this game in the first place

Go back and read Severson's post. I concur. Soft. YMMV.

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-22-10, 03:13 PM
I did, and disagree having seen so many of their matches this past year. Matches are more than the final tally, I think they showed well against England and the score wasn't representative.

Ankf00
06-22-10, 03:24 PM
More on Coulibaly:
While several of his calls in yesterday’s U.S. v. Slovenia match are still leaving observers guessing nearly 24 hours later, Koman Coulibaly is owed a debt of gratitude in some way. With his questionable recall of Maurice Edu’s go-ahead goal at Ellis Park Stadium the Malian referee did something that U.S. Soccer has been working toward for decades but with little success: make the USMNT front-page news.

As if Coulibaly’s 6+ hour ride atop Twitter’s “Trending” chart wasn’t enough of an achievement, his inexplicably unexplained call was the cover story of multiple major U.S. daily newspapers this morning including the New York Times, the New York Post & the New York Daily News. As much as U.S. supporters would have loved 3 points yesterday, making the USMNT the talk of the nation for possibly the first time in
history is a much bigger win for the game in America.

Add this controversy to the Robert Green gaffe in the USMNT’s resilient draw with England (America loves guts and bloopers) and the upcoming win-and-in match against Algeria and we have a near-perfect recipe for a watershed moment in the history of the American game. If the Yanks can pull out a dramatic win on Wednesday the interest in the game will be massive, real and un-manufactured; an interest that is genuine in a way that the signing of a single player could never be, but the mistake of a solitary referee can be. Thank you Koman Coulibaly.

A final note on Coulibaly:
Eric Wynalda said the ref had the whistle in his mouth for all US set pieces and didn't have it in his mouth for Slovenia set pieces.

Elmo T
06-22-10, 03:29 PM
Inspected a couple pizza shops over the last few days. Between owners and employees, the shops are always very multicultural. They all said the same thing - don't try to place an order if a hot game is on. :laugh:

Ankf00
06-22-10, 06:25 PM
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/759538/yakubu-o.gif

:shakehead

so close...

nrc
06-22-10, 06:57 PM
We have a fairly open policy on personal use of the InterWebs at work (NSFW and underpants sites excepted) but World Cup streams were crushing our firewall so we blocked them this morning. Folks started finding alternate sources so the word went out from on high this afternoon: "Cut it out."

It will be interesting to see what kind of activity we see tomorrow.

extramundane
06-22-10, 08:52 PM
We have a fairly open policy on personal use of the InterWebs at work (NSFW and underpants sites excepted) but World Cup streams were crushing our firewall so we blocked them this morning. Folks started finding alternate sources so the word went out from on high this afternoon: "Cut it out."

We've only got a 3Mbps pipe, so I pre-emptively killed all the feed sources I could find. 'Course, we've also got a vBrick unit pumping ESPN & ABC directly to the desktop, but you'd be surprised how many people would rather spend 3 hours trying to beat the filter/firewall than just opening up an IE window and calling it a day. :\

NismoZ
06-22-10, 10:34 PM
OK, so France lost and I'm reading they had the bus at the stadium warming up for a quick getaway to the airport long before the match ended. They arrived for the Cup on a monster Airbus 380 with VIPs and dignitaries and it sounds like they left for home in steerage on a C-47 or something. Real popular guys. Be cool if they didn't get landing clearance:thumbup:

dando
06-23-10, 10:23 AM
OK. Admittedly I'm not a soccer nerd....someone please explain offsides to me after the US 'goal' was just disallowed. :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
06-23-10, 10:24 AM

Interesting. I would think March Madness would be more of an issue.

-Kevin

dando
06-23-10, 10:37 AM
Watching this match is like death by paper cuts with lemon juice. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
06-23-10, 11:12 AM
Interesting. I would think March Madness would be more of an issue.

-KevinNo, they just call in sick.

Ankf00
06-23-10, 11:53 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Don Quixote
06-23-10, 11:53 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dando
06-23-10, 11:54 AM

Holy crap that was excruciating to watch. :eek:

-Kevin

dando
06-23-10, 12:06 PM
Congrats Brits. :p

-Kevin

dando
06-23-10, 12:17 PM
Are Ed Hightower Jim Burr and Tim Higgins reffing these matches? :saywhat: :mad:

-Kevin

TrueBrit
06-23-10, 12:19 PM
Congrats Brits. :p

-Kevin

When did they get a team in the WC?

TrueBrit
06-23-10, 12:20 PM

-Kevin

Bloody hell...talk about waiting 'til the last minute..

Insomniac
06-23-10, 12:39 PM
OK. Admittedly I'm not a soccer nerd....someone please explain offsides to me after the US 'goal' was just disallowed. :shakehead

-Kevin

The call was wrong, the rule is simple.

If the ball is played to you, there must be two players from the other team between you and the goal. Ties are supposed to go to the offense.

That kind of thing is common. I wasn't so upset about it. The ball was bouncing around like it was a pinball machine. It wasn't nearly as egregious as the Slovenia call.

Insomniac
06-23-10, 12:41 PM

-Kevin

I'll go with nerve-rackingly awesome!

It was a great effort by the USA the entire game. So happy it all worked out in the end. So close, so many times.

Ankf00
06-23-10, 02:38 PM
what's even more awesome about it is Ian Darke's call. listen to it again.

awe-f'ing-some.

Ankf00
06-23-10, 04:24 PM
Aussies too little too late, 2-1 Serbia, so Ghana's through to play our Yanks. Ze Germans vs. them limey fellas.

Ze Germans/Limies winner plays Messiko/Argiebastiges winner

TrueBrit
06-23-10, 05:28 PM
Aussies too little too late, 2-1 Serbia, so Ghana's through to play our Yanks. Ze Germans vs. them limey fellas.

Ze Germans/Limies winner plays Messiko/Argiebastiges winner

Hmm..WWIII and then Falklands II...not the easiest of fields to plow..

Ankf00
06-23-10, 05:51 PM
I believe that's what Jason Statham as Turkish in "Snatch" would refer to as "proper f***ed"

Insomniac
06-23-10, 10:45 PM
A final note on Coulibaly:
Eric Wynalda said the ref had the whistle in his mouth for all US set pieces and didn't have it in his mouth for Slovenia set pieces.

I think that came from this video:

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/video/ssworldcup-19013964/wynalda-fifa-needs-to-investigate-20404462

TravelGal
06-24-10, 12:11 AM
Bloody hell...talk about waiting 'til the last minute..

I was watching at the bar at LAX this morning but had to go board my plane just as it went into overtime. I could hear the good folk at the bar shouting but couldn't tell what was up. Fortunately the captain thought enough of the sport to come on the intercom and announce the result. The whole plane cheered. Well, almost the whole plane. :cool:

TrueBrit
06-24-10, 12:38 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

The Italian Diving Squad have been eliminated as they finished dead last in their group.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

dando
06-24-10, 12:43 PM

The Italian Diving Squad have been eliminated as they finished dead last in their group.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

h8r. :p

-Kevin

dando
06-24-10, 12:48 PM

h8r. :p

Speaking of diving, that Algerian diver yesterday that got a yellow on Altidore late in the game == :irked: :mad: :flame:

-Kevin

Napoleon
06-24-10, 01:30 PM
The 5 Best Donovan Goal Reaction Videos (http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/the-5-best-donovan-goal-reaction-videos)

Ankf00
06-24-10, 02:18 PM

:mad:

dando
06-24-10, 02:20 PM
So is Altidore out for Sat?

-Kevin

TrueBrit
06-24-10, 02:39 PM

Seriously? Two feeble draws, a 3-2 loss to Slovakia and only 2 points in the group and I still get a :mad:?

:rofl::D:laugh:

Ankf00
06-24-10, 02:54 PM
:mad::mad::mad:

RusH
06-24-10, 03:13 PM
lol at the greasers :rofl:

Insomniac
06-24-10, 07:21 PM
So is Altidore out for Sat?

-Kevin

No, everyone from the U.S. squad is eligible to play.

Current players with 1 yellow:
Steve Cherundolo
Jay DeMerit
Jozy Altidore
DaMarcus Beasley

If they get another yellow, they miss a match. Yellow cards are reset after the quarter-finals.

dando
06-24-10, 07:43 PM
If they get another yellow, they miss a match. Yellow cards are reset after the quarter-finals.

Got that. I thought I saw a mention that Altidore picked up his second yellow. So what happens to Findley if he picks up another yellow since he has already been suspended once?

-Kevin

emjaya
06-24-10, 07:49 PM

New Zealand out as well. They didn't get a win, but they didn't lose any either. And they finished in front of the World Champions. :laugh:

Ankf00
06-24-10, 08:23 PM
the world champions with a geriatric squad still finished ahead of socceroos

Ed_Severson
06-24-10, 10:31 PM

Seriously? You're an Italy fan?

No wonder you were so high on Mexico. :tony:

Insomniac
06-25-10, 08:32 AM
Got that. I thought I saw a mention that Altidore picked up his second yellow. So what happens to Findley if he picks up another yellow since he has already been suspended once?

-Kevin

It's just a single yellow card. He'd need 2 to miss a match again.

emjaya
06-25-10, 09:52 AM

As they were in different groups, I'm not sure how you worked that one out.

Excuses just make it even better. :laugh::laugh:

TrueBrit
06-25-10, 09:56 AM

So wait? The Aussie football squad is the yard stick now?:rofl::D:laugh::D

opinionated ow
06-25-10, 10:10 AM
As they were in different groups, I'm not sure how you worked that one out.

Excuses just make it even better. :laugh::laugh:

And the kiwis played better than us the whole tournament. Not bad for a bunch of (literally) amateurs!

Ankf00
06-25-10, 11:17 PM
Going America all over their asses.

ROCK. FLAG. AND EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGLE!!!

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/tmbs/33baa3fa18/fullsize_20.jpg

extramundane
06-26-10, 10:54 AM

Gonna kick some ass in the USA. Gonna climb a mountain, gonna sew a flag, gonna fly on an eagle. I’m gonna kick some butt, gonna drive a big truck. I’m gonna rule this world. :rofl: :thumbup:

Gnam
06-26-10, 12:56 PM

Ankf00
06-26-10, 01:09 PM
Gonna kick some ass, Gonna rise up, Kick a little ass, ROCK, FLAG AND EAGLE!

Michaelhatesfans
06-26-10, 01:30 PM
Yes, that's what US Soccer needs - rednecks.

dando
06-26-10, 03:48 PM
Landoooooooooo! :thumbup:

-Kevin

Fio1
06-26-10, 04:50 PM
Team USA need defense. And, they need to follow the forwards to collect some chances. When there is a cross into the box, there are only two Americans there, where are the rest of the guys? To be honest, I would keep Donovan, Altidore, Bradley, Feilhaber, Edu and Dempsey and dump the rest.

dando
06-26-10, 10:44 PM
What could have been.... :(

-Kevin

dando
06-26-10, 10:49 PM
To be honest, I would keep Donovan, Altidore, Bradley, Feilhaber, Edu and Dempsey and dump the rest.

And what about Howard?

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-27-10, 01:29 AM
starting clark and findley was asinine. clark gave up 2 goals in all of 75 minutes of playing time. findley's always invisible.

if charlie davies doesnt get into a wreck partying the night before a match last year, he's playing off of altidore up top and putting them in the net.

boca is too slow, gooch being out for 7 months hurt us.

bright spots, midfield is great w/ bradley and edu, landy and deuce on the wings

oh well.

Fio1
06-27-10, 02:48 AM
And what about Howard?

-Kevin

Forgot him. Won't get rid of him for anything.

Don Quixote
06-27-10, 10:39 AM
England just got the worst screwing ever. :flame: In a sport where only a few goals are scored per game, you sure as hell better count them all.

racermike
06-27-10, 11:31 AM
England just got the worst screwing ever. :flame: In a sport where only a few goals are scored per game, you sure as hell better count them all.

Horrible call, but Germany up 4-1 now, and England has not been in this game at all. Germany outplayed them on every section of the field.

TrueBrit
06-27-10, 11:43 AM
Horrible call, but Germany up 4-1 now, and England has not been in this game at all. Germany outplayed them on every section of the field.

Except for the two goals that England scored that made the German defense look very suspect indeed..The break away goals that were scored were as a direct result of England having to attack due to the worst officiating mistake ever, rather than being more circumspect if the score actually reflected what took place on the pitch..

I don't mind losing a game fairly, but I'll be buggered if I'll take this one laying down..

I am beyond furious..:flame::mad::flame:

Pilgrims Drop
06-27-10, 11:44 AM
Well Britain got lucky with a delayed call in the F1 race so I guess it's even steven as far as iffy ref calls are concerned...

But I wouldn't be suprised if we'll get dedicated refs for the penalty box now... Henrys hands in the quals and now this... not good moments for the game of football

Don Quixote
06-27-10, 03:02 PM
Now Mexico gets screwed. Are you kidding me?

eiregosod
06-27-10, 04:36 PM
If they introduced reforms after the Ireland - France game.

dando
06-27-10, 04:40 PM
Now Mexico gets screwed. Are you kidding me?

FIFA is now as credible as the FIA. :shakehead

-Kevin

TrueBrit
06-27-10, 06:20 PM
FIFA is now as credible as the FIA. :shakehead

-Kevin

Less..at least with FIAerrari you know you are getting screwed if your car isn't red..

FIFA smeared itself with guano today..two big games and two HUUUUUUUGE blown calls...

Unless and until FIFA steps into the 20th century football will rightly be considered a game played by over-paid opera actors officiated by morons that couldn't assemble a ham and cheese sandwich if you spotted them the bread and the provolone..

Ed_Severson
06-27-10, 06:42 PM
Except for the two goals that England scored that made the German defense look very suspect indeed..The break away goals that were scored were as a direct result of England having to attack due to the worst officiating mistake ever, rather than being more circumspect if the score actually reflected what took place on the pitch..

Nonsense. The first goal by Germany in the second half came on the counter from a set piece, not from the run of play. Whether England were down or not had no bearing on defensive shape there. The second goal, you'd have been down 3-1 or 3-2, but pressing forward either way. Non-issue.

The USA got hosed by the officiating worse than England did in this tournament. That, however, is not the reason USA are out, and it's not the reason England are out either.

RusH
06-27-10, 06:54 PM
The USA got hosed by the officiating worse than England did in this tournament.

yep

I don't think these blown calls today would have changed the outcome either way.

Showdown in Capetown.

Vamos Argentina!!!!!!!!!!!

WickerBill
06-27-10, 09:54 PM
1. Tim Howard let in that first goal. Horribly out of position. How can you let in a ball from 17 yards on the floor at your near post? He doesn't screw that up, USA is through to the next round. I'm a big Howard fan, but you gotta call a spade a spade.

2. No way FIFA introduces replay for anything except goal disputes. They aren't gonna replay every offside call, they aren't gonna use it for fouls in the box, and they aren't gonna use it for diving. And if they're only gonna use it for goals, a stinking sensor in the ball would solve that better than replay.

3. AJ Foyt runs faster than Gareth Berry, John Terry, and Jamie Carragher.

Ed_Severson
06-27-10, 10:10 PM

QFT. Their back four was horrible. One of the things I like to do during or after matches is keep an eye on running commentary from The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football). Here are a couple of real peaches from today:

20 mins: KLOSE'S NUMBER 12!!! Germany 1-0 England. Dear Lord. Neuer hoofs a long ball upfield, straight down the middle. Terry is off on holiday, Upson was standing wondering whether to go with him, maybe stow away in his suitcase, and so Klose simply romps down the middle, sliding in and poking a right-foot shot past the advancing James and into the bottom-right corner. That is as simple a goal that's been scored in the entire history of All Football. What a defensive shambles. The centre backs want shooting when they eventually come back from their break.

23 min: England look shocked. And no bloody wonder. Ozil and Podolski have taken turns to run straight at the England back line, understandably having concluded that the players in it might bugger off for a cigarette at any given moment. Cole and Johnson take turns to get tackles in.

67 min: THIS COULD BE IT FOR ENGLAND. Germany 3-1 England. The ball having bounced off the wall, four German players stream upfield, no red shirts bothering to chase back and help. Down the inside left, Schweinsteiger rolls the ball wide right to Muller on the right-hand edge of the England box. James gets a hand to the shot, but it was hit hard as you like and flies into the bottom-right corner.

69 min: England's four defenders make it back to their area.

:rofl:

Ankf00
06-28-10, 01:09 AM

should add Bocanegra to that list too

emjaya
06-28-10, 09:07 AM
New video evidence. :gomer:

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=250&d=1277730302

Don Quixote
06-28-10, 09:10 AM
^^^ Now that right there is funny. :laugh:

TrueBrit
06-28-10, 09:11 AM
Nonsense. The first goal by Germany in the second half came on the counter from a set piece, not from the run of play. Whether England were down or not had no bearing on defensive shape there. The second goal, you'd have been down 3-1 or 3-2, but pressing forward either way. Non-issue.

The USA got hosed by the officiating worse than England did in this tournament. That, however, is not the reason USA are out, and it's not the reason England are out either.

Bollocks. If the blind referree had called the goal it would have been 2-2. You play differently when the scored is tied than when you are behind in an elimination match.

Was the England defense awful? Heck yes, but so were the germans who gave up 2 goals in under a minute.

The call completely changed the game.

The US got hosed, yes, as bad as England, not even remotely close, last time I checked the US went through in the top of their group so the calls ultimately had zero impact on their tournament, England on the other hand, in a single-elimination game were robbed at gun-point and are now out of the tournament. The two aren't even remotely comparable..

Ed_Severson
06-28-10, 09:40 AM
Bollocks. If the blind referree had called the goal it would have been 2-2. You play differently when the scored is tied than when you are behind in an elimination match.

Set piece. No difference in approach, just lousy defense.

last time I checked the US went through in the top of their group so the calls ultimately had zero impact on their tournament

It only had zero impact on our tournament because unlike the English, our guys didn't quit and then cry about it to the press afterwards. Instead, they fought through it and got a result in spite of being robbed of a legitimate goal, twice. Ultimately, England got what they deserved.

TrueBrit
06-28-10, 10:38 AM
Set piece. No difference in approach, just lousy defense. Bollocks.

It only had zero impact on our tournament because unlike the English, our guys didn't quit and then cry about it to the press afterwards. Instead, they fought through it and got a result in spite of being robbed of a legitimate goal, twice. Ultimately, England got what they deserved. Double bollocks. It had zero impact on your tournament because they weren't elimination games...And no-one deserves to go home because of piss-poor officiating..(except for the germans and the argies..oh and portugal..and spain..)

Come on Holland!!!

WickerBill
06-28-10, 10:41 AM
Double bollocks.

That's... four, right?

eiregosod
06-28-10, 10:44 AM
The US got hosed, yes, as bad as England, not even remotely close, last time I checked the US went through in the top of their group so the calls ultimately had zero impact on their tournament, England on the other hand, in a single-elimination game were robbed at gun-point and are now out of the tournament. The two aren't even remotely comparable..

J'agree, Angleterre would nover have conceded the 3rd goal if they didnt commit 9 men into the free kick after which ze Germans broke away

TrueBrit
06-28-10, 11:08 AM
That's... four, right?

Yes Sir, your math is correct!:D

Ed_Severson
06-28-10, 11:19 AM
Jolly old England: rightful owners of one world championship, and unjustly robbed of 18 more. :rofl:

TrueBrit
06-28-10, 12:18 PM
Jolly old England: rightful owners of one world championship, and unjustly robbed of 18 more. :rofl:

Only 18??? ;)

We are, however, still kicking the brown stuff out of the Aussies at cricket which takes some of the sting out of this weekend's shenanigans..