PDA

View Full Version : Saturday '11

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

WickerBill
11-07-11, 07:39 AM
Paying players seems kind of a small issue compared with this.

Napoleon
11-07-11, 08:20 AM
Paying players seems kind of a small issue compared with this.

That is an understatement.

I would never kill someone, but if the dad of that kid killed that guy I could kind of see where he was coming from.

Don Quixote
11-07-11, 10:46 AM
If Joe Pa knew about this did he have a legal obligation to go to the cops, or can he wash his hands of the mess by kicking it upstairs to his boss?

Napoleon
11-07-11, 10:49 AM
If Joe Pa knew about this did he have a legal obligation to go to the cops, or can he wash his hands of the mess by kicking it upstairs to his boss?

My understanding is that in PA he had a legal duty to report it to law enforcement.

Don Quixote
11-07-11, 12:07 PM
My understanding is that in PA he had a legal duty to report it to law enforcement.That sure would make sense.

trauma1
11-07-11, 12:35 PM
Joe PA kicked the complaint upstairs to the AD and administration, Sandusky was retiring and it was up to the AD and administration to call the law

Napoleon
11-07-11, 01:16 PM
The below blog post from a University of Colorado law professor has some interesting additional tidbits:

http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2011/11/living-a-lie

Ankf00
11-07-11, 01:25 PM
The law only covers so much. Morality covers the rest. I tend to be very permissive with the definition of morality, but there are a few things that are non-negotiables. Your person is sacrosanct. Your property should be safe. Your basic rights should be guaranteed.

At the bare minimum, a child being raped by anyone should be reported to the police. This might make me a feather-headed idealist, but it seems like the least you can do for your fellow citizen. Consensus may be hard to come by in our nation, but this seems like something we can agree on as a people. If you see a child being raped, you should call the police.

This kind of bold thinking may seem obvious to some. It was not to more than one person at Penn State, people who assumed that the university had some kind of other law that overlapped with Jerry Sandusky law, and with Paterno law, or whatever other pseudo-legality they thought kept them from calling the police and saying, "I think we have a child molester working in and around our program."

And yet no one said anything. If everyone at Penn State is okay with this, then the heads stop rolling here. If you're not, then you demand the resignations of everyone involved. This includes Joe Paterno, who knew, but then abandoned his moral responsibility to the cold dictates of the org chart.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/11/7/2543948/penn-state-jerry-sandusky-joe-paterno-sex-abuse-case

the QB turned GA who first reported it is the current WR coach

trauma1
11-07-11, 01:25 PM
give Joe Pa another 2 weeks and he'll be gone also

cameraman
11-07-11, 01:33 PM
What we need here is a good old fashion lynching of all involved.

Napoleon
11-07-11, 02:10 PM

OK, the NY Times story says that it is the latter and not the former (at least in the view of the prosecutors working the case).

Andrew Longman
11-07-11, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=Ankf00;299964the QB turned GA who first reported it is the current WR coach[/QUOTE]Does that mean he too is culpable because he too only "kicked it upstairs" to JoPa and didn't go to the police?

Not in any way as an excuse, it is sometimes misunderstood or unappreciated how insulated football teams are from their institutions (even at the HS level) and the rest of society. That is seen as a necessary condition for high performance -- utter loyalty to each other and their common cause. That's supposed to be a good thing and teach young men how to put team before themselves and how together great things can be done. It is why we ask young men to play the sport.

But in this case it may have led to muddy and wrong ethical choices by many involved -- including JoPa.

That said, the AD and other administrator are decidedly NOT part of that and it is their very job to keep it in check and aligned with the university goals and indeed the law. For them to sweep this away is very much criminal.

It just sucks.

But its not worse than it was for the young boys involved. Reminds me of the Graham James story.

Napoleon
11-07-11, 02:46 PM
Yes this is for real, it is not The Onion:

http://www.amazon.com/Touched-Jerry-Sandusky-Story/dp/1582613575/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320691511&sr=1

Ankf00
11-07-11, 02:52 PM
Does that mean he too is culpable because he too only "kicked it upstairs" to JoPa and didn't go to the police?
he supposedly talked to his dad about it that night, and they decided he should tell JoePa.

after, as he testified, he saw a 50+ year old man ****ing a 10 year old boy in the ass? so that he could end up on staff in Joe Paterno's world?

yea. **** him as much as the rest.

and **** Joe's son Scott for coming out with this weak ass attorney ********. I understand protecting family, but this might be a time for him to just stick to crafting Joe's public non-admission admission and leaving it at that with no further comments.

"Unfortunately," Scott Paterno said, "once that happened, there was really nothing more Joe felt he could do because he did not witness the event. You can't call the police and say, 'Somebody tells me they saw somebody else do something.' That's hearsay. Police don't take reports in that manner. Frankly, from the way he understood the process, he passed the information on to the appropriate university official and they said they were taking care of it. That's really all he could do."

hearsay is what courts take care of, but that's not what's first, what's first is in cases of child abuse this kind of hearsay is not penalized in any way shape or form, provided it comes from a legitimately concerned party, by the PD or the DA in the interests of protecting potential victims. that kind of hearsay, coming from someone you've known for years from childhood into adulthood, regarding a lifelong friend you "retired" b/c of his previously alleged pedarasty, is EXACTLY what you take to the PD. and that's just if you're an avg citizen of 0 notoriety or import.

I'm on crazy pills I guess, but I think if Joe Paterno wanted to tell the police something, that the police might have actually listened...

dando
11-07-11, 03:10 PM
Whit's take:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Jason-Whitlock-Penn-State-sex-scandal-Jerry-Sandusky-blame-Joe-Paterno-Nittany-Lions-110711

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-07-11, 03:18 PM
Whitlock's that kid from HS who was still working at Joe's Crab Shack when you graduated school and who says to everyone who comes back home to visit "I was smart enough, it's just a stupid waste of time, but, really, I could've if I'd wanted to," as he brings your 3 dozen oysters and pitcher of Pacifico to your table. Every one of his pieces reads like a bad 1st year Rhetoric submission from someone desperate to show how (un)intelligent with both writing and logic they are

and yet, somehow, when ESPN got rid of Whitlock and needed to replace their C-list token "black america" mouthpiece, they hired someone worse.

Ankf00
11-07-11, 03:24 PM
http://s1-02.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/443193423.jpg

dando
11-07-11, 03:28 PM
Whitlock's that kid from HS who was still working at Joe's Crab Shack when you graduated school and who says to everyone who comes back home to visit "I was smart enough, it's just a stupid waste of time, but, really, I could've if I'd wanted to," as he brings your 3 dozen oysters and pitcher of Pacifico to your table. Every one of his pieces reads like a bad 1st year Rhetoric submission from someone desperate to show how (un)intelligent with both writing and logic they are

and yet, somehow, when ESPN got rid of Whitlock and needed to replace their C-list token "black america" mouthpiece, they hired someone worse.

Sorry, but it's a good piece. And don't go there about E$PN journalistic integrity. I mean srsly. :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-07-11, 03:43 PM
disagree, it's a pretty shoddy piece centered on assumptive premises that make for great facebook & blog outrage by undergrads and G8 protestors. the body of the argument is ruined by all the tortured angles.

nevermind his conflating about as many different issues and conspiracies as I have fingers to get to the conclusion. what's the theme here? occupy wall street? pay for play & CFB exploitation? protecting Boss Hogg? The almighty Dollar? Dean Smith works into what point?

Pick one, run with it. The story and the emotional hook are right there without trying to channel Michael Lewis.

Longman's post & the CU law prof blog have 1000x the insight of the "professional's" piece. Everything out on SI, ESPN, FSN, the big sports blogs right now are miles better in that they're not attempting to incorporate some life lesson of society's ills. All that's missing is Whitlock's patented "It's all the White Man"

and everything from this past offseason, tOSU, Miami, Oregon, LSU, Auburn, etc. all of that can be written off as "shenanigans," in comparison. The greatest shocker was the paid abortion re: Miami stripper, big moral issue for many there, and even that pales in comparison.

dando
11-07-11, 04:11 PM
NY Times piece on this. (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/sports/ncaafootball/Penn-State-Paterno-College-Football-George-Vecsey.html?_r=1)

-Kevin

trauma1
11-07-11, 06:49 PM
it's more important to sanction UND Fighting Sioux over their nickname rather than fix big time schools:irked:

Indy
11-07-11, 07:21 PM
These guys should be ****ing crucified, Paterno included.

TKGAngel
11-08-11, 10:19 AM
Powerful use of the front page of the Harrisburg Patriot News.

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=PA_PN&ref_pge=lst

Indy
11-08-11, 10:43 AM
Powerful use of the front page of the Harrisburg Patriot News.

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=PA_PN&ref_pge=lst

Powerful my ass. Paterno should be allowed to retire with dignity? Give me a break.

If that was my kid these ****ers would all be dead already.

Ankf00
11-08-11, 11:54 AM
Sandusky was banned from bringing children on campus in 2002.

as recently as 2 years ago he had overnight football camps on campus.

TKGAngel
11-08-11, 12:12 PM
Powerful my ass. Paterno should be allowed to retire with dignity? Give me a break.

If that was my kid these ****ers would all be dead already.

Powerful in that you rarely see an editorial board take over the entire front page of a paper. I agree that Paterno should be done, but this story takes precedence over feting his coaching career.

Moving on, PSU is trying to control today's presser by limiting questions to football only. That's like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube after the toddler smeared it all over the bathroom.

stroker
11-08-11, 12:14 PM
I have to wonder what I'd do if I was playing on the team and something like this happened. Can't imagine having much faith in the coaching staff any more. I wonder if any of the team are going to quit.

dando
11-08-11, 12:18 PM
If I had a rocket launcher.... :irked:

SI take:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/11/07/pennst.scandal/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a2&hpt=hp_c2

Joe must go. Now. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-08-11, 12:59 PM
Knowledge of eye witness to little boys being ****ed in the ass?

8 year delay.

Realization that presser might be bad?

Instant response.

http://s1-02.twitpicproxy.com/photos/large/443672551.jpg

Napoleon
11-08-11, 01:15 PM
Breaking news on NY Times website:

Penn State said to be planning Paternos exit. (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sports/ncaafootball/penn-state-said-to-be-planning-paternos-exit.html)

dando
11-08-11, 01:37 PM
Epic. Epic. Fail. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
11-08-11, 02:07 PM
Breaking news on NY Times website:

Penn State said to be planning Paternos exit. (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/sports/ncaafootball/penn-state-said-to-be-planning-paternos-exit.html)

Not according to his lawyer son:

DufresneLATimes Chris Dufresne
by rollerCD
RT @ScottPaterno NYT report premature. No discussions about retirement with JVP.

Pathetic. Woody was ousted the same night after he hit Bauman. This goes on and on. :shakehead :irked:

-Kevin

Napoleon
11-08-11, 02:28 PM
Not according to his lawyer son

His lawyer's son or Paterno's son? That tweet you have in there mentions Scott Paterno, Joe's wack job flake of a kid (stories about him are legendary)who appears to be unemployable unless it is somewhere his dad got him a job. Read the link I posted above from the Colorado law professor where he quotes Scotty from a story claiming his dad knew nothing about the 1998 investigation which he then follows with a quote from Joe which occured on the very same day Scott's qoute comes from which indicates that Joe, in fact, knew of the 1998 investigation.

Scott is a BSer.

racer2c
11-08-11, 02:33 PM
And why does anyone care about this? Just curious.

Ankf00
11-08-11, 02:54 PM
His lawyer's son or Paterno's son? That tweet you have in there mentions Scott Paterno, Joe's wack job flake of a kid (stories about him are legendary)who appears to be unemployable unless it is somewhere his dad got him a job. Read the link I posted above from the Colorado law professor where he quotes Scotty from a story claiming his dad knew nothing about the 1998 investigation which he then follows with a quote from Joe which occured on the very same day Scott's qoute comes from which indicates that Joe, in fact, knew of the 1998 investigation.

Scott is a BSer.

Paterno's lawyer so far has been his son apparently, that very same Scott.

chop456
11-08-11, 03:04 PM

SRSLY?

Gnam
11-08-11, 03:52 PM
How do you witness something like that and not grab the nearest blunt object and start swinging? :yuck:

dando
11-08-11, 04:18 PM

Srsly?!? :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
11-08-11, 04:21 PM
How do you witness something like that and not grab the nearest blunt object and start swinging? :yuck:

As I posted on a friend's FB wall, the cops wouldn't be necessary, just the coroner if I had witnessed this happening. :irked: :flame: :mad: x11

EDIT: and no, I would not need a blunt object....I would have used my thumbs.

-Kevin

racer2c
11-08-11, 04:27 PM
Didn't mean to interrupt whatever it is you guys are talking about. By all means, carry on with this earth shaking story. :gomer:

Dorks.

dando
11-08-11, 04:35 PM
Didn't mean to interrupt whatever it is you guys are talking about. By all means, carry on with this earth shaking story. :gomer:

Dorks.

:shakehead

-Kevin

Napoleon
11-08-11, 04:43 PM
Dorks.

And proud of it.

To answer your question 1) we need to talk about something and 2) Paterno has long been thought to run a very clean program but when a scandle finally blows up on him its 100 times worse then a Woody Hayes or just about anyone else.

racer2c
11-08-11, 04:55 PM
:shakehead

-Kevin

And this affects your life...how? :gomer:

Ankf00
11-08-11, 05:06 PM

could, well, did, say the same regarding your past excitement/anger over a race in Indiana of less import than the rate of change of Big Macs sold at Times Square McD's from 1:00pm-2:00pm on odd-numbered Tuesdays.

I would assume some things related to actions this heinous wouldn't need explanation. I would be wrong.

racer2c
11-08-11, 05:13 PM
could, well, did, say the same regarding your past excitement/anger over a race in Indiana of less import than the rate of change of Big Macs sold at Times Square McD's from 1:00pm-2:00pm on odd-numbered Tuesdays.

I would assume some things related to actions this heinous wouldn't need explanation. I would be wrong.

So you are all huge Penn State fans then? That's why I was asking. :gomer:

They can all rot in jail as far as I'm concerned.

Gnam
11-08-11, 05:41 PM
This is what happens when a football program becomes the economic and spiritual heartbeat of an entire section of a state. The Nittany Lions football regularly draws 100,000 fans to Happy Valley. They also produce $50 million in pure profit for the university every year and have been listed as the most valuable team in the Big 10 conference.

Another economic report held that every Penn State game pumps $59 million into the local economy: from hotels to kids selling homemade cookies by the side of the road. It's no wonder that Paterno is revered. He took a football team and turned it into an economic life raft for a university and a region.

When something becomes that valuable, a certain mindset kicks in. Protect the team above all over concerns. Protect Joe Pa. Protect Nittany Lions football. Protect the brand. In a company town, your first responsibility is to protect the company.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/11/08/EDCD1LS2IE.DTL

Sound familiar? :tony:

Ankf00
11-08-11, 05:54 PM

Pinkerton Detective Agency vs. Coal Miners?

Napoleon
11-08-11, 06:04 PM
Pinkerton Detective Agency vs. Coal Miners?

Trackforum

cameraman
11-08-11, 06:05 PM

It is no surprise, I routinely see television commercials advertising Penn State and I'm in Utah. There is no other school of that class that has the same sort of branding campaign going on.

racer2c
11-08-11, 06:18 PM
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11831

So we can't talk about Paterno in the context of a college football thread but you can self-glorify and "retire" by posting a thread on here (and subsequently never leave)? Eat a rooster.

**** you too. :thumbup:

Ziggy was right as usual.

Ankf00
11-08-11, 06:31 PM
It is no surprise, I routinely see television commercials advertising Penn State and I'm in Utah. There is no other school of that class that has the same sort of branding campaign going on.

Outside of Big10/PSU sports telecasts? Wow.

cameraman
11-08-11, 06:54 PM
Outside of Big10/PSU sports telecasts? Wow.

During shows like Mythbusters or other Science, History, BBCA and Discovery channel shows. The whole "We are Penn State" thing kind of sticks out.

dando
11-08-11, 07:16 PM

I have 2 girls ages 5 and 8. This simply sickens me. I don't care if it's the Boy Scouts, the Catholic Church or college football....this sickens me beyond belief. If you don't get it, it sucks to be you.

-Kevin

stroker
11-08-11, 07:29 PM
I have 2 girls ages 5 and 8. This simply sickens me. I don't care if it's the Boy Scouts, the Catholic Church or college football....this sickens me beyond belief. If you don't get it, it sucks to be you.

-Kevin

+1.

Defender has obviously inhabited his body. Time for an exorcism.

gjc2
11-08-11, 08:16 PM

I don't get it either.

nrc
11-08-11, 09:00 PM
I don't get it either.

Seriously? You don't get why people would be outraged that someone used their position at a University to molest young boys and the University swept it under the rug for nearly a decade? :confused: You don't get why people would be upset that someone could witness such an act and not do their best to make sure that the authorities are alerted? :confused:

nrc
11-08-11, 09:09 PM
**** you too. :thumbup:

Ziggy was right as usual.

:irked: http://asset2.hark.com/clips/zvltmzgbxl-i-havent-killed-anybody-dot-dot-dot-since-1984

Andrew Longman
11-08-11, 09:24 PM

OK, so I am about to write something that will surely haunt me for as long as the internet exists.

I used to think the I500 was the coolest race on earth and required about the best a human could do just to get in those machines. I thought the series that came up around it about the coolest thing humans tried to do.

And I used to think that while college football was a complete mess that at least JoPa was able to run a program that came close to instilling the values the silly game of football was meant to create in men. I know several people who went through that program -- some into the pros.

And I also thought Michigan football would carry the ethos of Bo into the future of college football. Not.

And I still think the Mara's vision of a professional sports team still being the hobby of sportmen still has at least 1% relevance.

Whatever needs to happen at PSU needs to happen. But it still stinks.

gjc2
11-08-11, 09:41 PM
Seriously? You don't get why people would be outraged that someone used their position at a University to molest young boys and the University swept it under the rug for nearly a decade? :confused: You don't get why people would be upset that someone could witness such an act and not do their best to make sure that the authorities are alerted? :confused:

I don't get why the fact that the accusations are against some football guy that makes the story is as big as it is.
I know absolutely nothing about football or who these people are, but I’ll bet if football wasn’t part of the story it wouldn’t be getting so much ink (or band width).
I’ve heard sports reporters sound like they’re defending the people who turned their back on these horrific acts because of their “fanship” of the sport of football, or a particular team.

RTKar
11-08-11, 10:21 PM
Imagine if it was your kid....

Ankf00
11-09-11, 12:19 AM
I don't get why the fact that the accusations are against some football guy that makes the story is as big as it is.
I know absolutely nothing about football or who these people are, but I’ll bet if football wasn’t part of the story it wouldn’t be getting so much ink (or band width).
I’ve heard sports reporters sound like they’re defending the people who turned their back on these horrific acts because of their “fanship” of the sport of football, or a particular team.

a school of young people covered this up, systemically. that an institution whose employees should be lightyears beyond even contemplating such actions is what is shocking. that anyone would contemplate it is shocking, that it's this school in this country is what is so over the top. this isn't zimbabwe, this isn't somalia. this is america. this happened in our schools in what was supposed to be Pleasantville College USA. not in some hollow in backwater tennessee or in the woods of Oswego NY, but at a top tier educational institution.

if you can't see that and have to draw some anti-jock insecurity into the equation, then that's on you.

gjc2
11-09-11, 01:40 AM
if you can't see that and have to draw some anti-jock insecurity into the equation, then that's on you.

I’m not going to dignify that comment with a response.

nrc
11-09-11, 01:46 AM

I don't agree and I'm not sure how you can think that if you look at the circumstances. Child molesters get a lot of attention in the press. Child molesters who abuse positions of trust and power to facilitate their perversions get even more. Institutions that use their positions of trust and power to hide their activities get still even more attention.

Indy
11-09-11, 08:25 AM

It sure does. Good point.

And once again, I want to wish a torturous, screaming, fiery death on all who were involved in this. Burn in Hell, you demonic ****s.

gjc2
11-09-11, 08:32 AM
Child molesters who abuse positions of trust and power to facilitate their perversions get even more. Institutions that use their positions of trust and power to hide their activities get still even more attention.

I just think this story is bigger than it would have been because of the football angle. I bet the people who covered up these despicable acts will get off easy because of football.

stroker
11-09-11, 09:25 AM
I bet the people who covered up these despicable acts will get off easy because of football.

how much?

Ziggy
11-09-11, 10:06 AM
Good thread, and I have enjoyed reading (and learning) very much.

While not a huge Penn State fan, I am well aware of who Joe Paterno is and to tell the truth hold him in very high regard.

Using the Sports Illustrated article as a guide, and having lived through Bob Knights entire tenure at Indiana University, I can identify with the total disregard on/of certain situations.

Knight got thrown under the bus, and for a lot of good reasons

but I am still somewhat saddened that Paterno is going to suffer the same fate. IMO he should have followed up, even behind the scenes (no pun intended)

This Sandusky guy should be burned at the stake.

dando
11-09-11, 11:02 AM
MikeAndMike Mike & Mike
The AP is reporting from a source: Joe Paterno has decided to retire at the end of the season.

Napoleon
11-09-11, 11:30 AM
Link for AP report.

http://twitter.com/#!/AP/statuses/134282632337965056

Ankf00
11-09-11, 12:17 PM
the Board of Trustees is convening on Friday to then discuss the appointment of a special investigator. Senior Day is Saturday, how convenient.

And the students protesting last night in front of the administration building? THey started singing "Sweet Caroline" inbetween bouts of "Joe Pa-ter-no" *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*. Yea, that "Sweet Caroline"... :saywhat:

post from my UT board that sums it up

The level of insular thinking and general insouciance towards what's right versus what some old ****ing geezer who covered up the molestation of numerous kids for over a decade "needs" on his way out is simply mindnumbing. None of these idiots get it. There is no legacy protection. Paterno is going to go down as a child molester at worse, through being complicit, or a sympathizer at best. The fact that he won a bunch of games will only be fodder for the notion that he sold his soul. The school will be forever associated with being comfortable with child rape as well. That's because it appears as though they are. No action regarding those complicit in this leads directly to the conclusion that people there are ok with child rape. It's what I'll teach to my children, grandchildren, and anyone around who brings the school up. It is the child rape college. People who go there are part of the problem, on some level. They protect this regime, they heard the scuttlebutt around the campus by numerous written accounts, they're pushing to keep the old bastard around.

Someone missed "crisis management" the day it was taught at leadership school. It is unbelievable how poorly this has been handled. They knew this was coming out a long time ago. They at first acted in support of the guys covering things up. Now they've gone silent and they're attempting to let that old ****ing scumbag finish the season his way. At no point has anyone up there done the right thing, not even when they should have done the right thing to just save face. They're so far removed from what is actually right and what is wrong that can't even get things done correctly when they all put their heads together to make a decision.

The entire concept that there is a middle ground on something like child rape has me teetering near head explosion land. It's pretty simple. You are either against it, and wholeheartedly so, or you are a ****ing child rapist. It's not one of those things where, you know, I get where he was going with that. No. It's not something you hear about, get evidence on, and then say, well, it's not that big of a deal, so let's keep this between us. If you're going to "keep it in-house" then you're effectively condoning it and are basically directly involved with the act should it occur again. Might as well be standing there, laughing, and pointing fingers at the next kid that the monster targets.

Ankf00
11-09-11, 12:38 PM
Insular is the problem.

"Mr. Garban, a former vice president at the university whose 33-year tenure as an administrator ended in 1993, said he has worked with both Mr. Curley and Mr. Schultz. He said he found the allegations against them "hard to believe, quite frankly."

"I have known them as people of high integrity," he said.

Both administrators have insisted they're innocent of the charges.

"I believe them," Mr. Garban said.

didn't even realize, b10 title trophy: stagg-paterno trophy, damn...

http://ktiv.images.worldnow.com/images/15371388_BG1.JPG

Ankf00
11-09-11, 12:50 PM
and this is what the man had to say at his house last night when the students were outside throwing a pep rally

"It's hard for me to tell you how much this means to me. I've lived for this place, and I've lived for people like you guys and girls, and I'm just so happy to see that you could feel so strongly about us and about your school. The kids that were victims or whatever they want to say, I think we all ought to say a prayer for them. Tough life, when people do certain things to you. Anyway, you've been great. Everything's great, all right."

4O0EeTDWVPc

dando
11-09-11, 12:56 PM
Yup, the naming of the trophy has been bantered about in these parts. I am also sickened by the idiots on the local E$PN radio that are STILL defending Joe Pa. :saywhat: :mad: :flame: :shakehead x11

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-09-11, 01:01 PM
Yup, the naming of the trophy has been bantered about in these parts. I am also sickened by the idiots on the local E$PN radio that are STILL defending Joe Pa. :saywhat: :mad: :flame: :shakehead x11

-Kevin

Franchione's coaching Texas State right down the road this year, so he was on local radio this morning with Chip Brown, talking about how Joe needed to be sent off the right way and deserves it for everything he's done, and how the PSU community needs to support him on Saturday and send him off right... Funny how it's always what the coach "needs," with 0 mention of any victims. 0 mention of the boy in the '02 incident still being unknown, who knows if he was killed, or committed suicide, or whatever else... But, no, the coach "needs" the support he "deserves"

extramundane
11-09-11, 01:48 PM
The kids that were victims or whatever they want to say, I think we all ought to say a prayer for them. Tough life, when people do certain things to you.

:flame:

Tough life? Yeah, I guess you could say that. Senile old asshat.

Ankf00
11-09-11, 01:56 PM
McQueary was 28 when it happened? And all he did was speak with his father and Paterno, and did not wrt Sandusky for 10 years?

Ankf00
11-09-11, 04:51 PM
ESPN is populated by buffoons.

You have to think about the players on the team this year. These players are trying to win a Big Ten championship. You take away Joe Paterno and Mike McQueery from this team, and this season is done."

:saywhat:

Ankf00
11-09-11, 06:02 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/psu/graphics/splash/statement-forweb.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/168d1lw.jpg

G.
11-09-11, 07:58 PM
ESPN is populated by buffoons.

Originally Posted by Herbstreit
You have to think about the players on the team this year. These players are trying to win a Big Ten championship. You take away Joe Paterno and Mike McQueery from this team, and this season is done."

:saywhat:

I agree with Herbie. Take away Joe Pa and Mike, the team will be ****ed in the ***. ;)

Andrew Longman
11-09-11, 08:09 PM
I agree with Herbie. Take away Joe Pa and Mike, the team will be ****ed in the ***.True. And that is the entire reason for the magnitude/tenor of the story.

If this was Butt Fub State University caught somewhere between their next conference championship and coach "holding a campus hostage" situation. no one give a crap -- beyond anger and care for the kids.

Gnam
11-09-11, 08:23 PM
I wonder if the NCAA will sanction the school to distance themselves from the mess.

Ankf00
11-09-11, 09:01 PM
I wonder if the NCAA will sanction the school to distance themselves from the mess.

the DoE is now investigating based on dishonest campus crime/safety reporting.

Ankf00
11-09-11, 09:03 PM
True. And that is the entire reason for the magnitude/tenor of the story.

If this was Butt Fub State University caught somewhere between their next conference championship and coach "holding a campus hostage" situation. no one give a crap -- beyond anger and care for the kids.

what JoePa apologists don't realize is that PSU is already screwed beyond belief, their defense of "he did everything he could do, what else could he have done?" is only making it that much worse.

On ESPN, former PSU All-American LB Michael Haynes just said that this has been well known in the community for years, and many had told him, including:

his mom, who still works at PSU

former players and teammates

He said people were too scared to get in trouble if they spoke out

gerhard911
11-09-11, 09:38 PM
I agree with Herbie. Take away Joe Pa and Mike, the team will be ****ed in the ***. ;)

Ummm, yeah, kinda like the kids Sandusky 'befriended" :flame:

But that's what your winky was for, right ;)

stroker
11-09-11, 10:19 PM
the DoE is now investigating based on dishonest campus crime/safety reporting.

The Department of ENERGY? Surely you mean the DOJ?

SteveH
11-09-11, 10:26 PM
E as in Education

http://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/us-department-education-investigate-penn-states-handling-sexual-misconduct-alleg

Ankf00
11-09-11, 11:15 PM
ya, that other E :D

PSU board of trustees just announced JoePa's fired immediately. super shocked after how much they bumble****ed their way through this. that has to mean curley and schultz are fired too. wonder what mcqueary's fate is. that ginger should be blackballed from education for his lifetime.

trauma1
11-09-11, 11:21 PM
Joe pa is fired, gone,

Both football coach Joe Paterno and president Graham Spanier are out at Penn State in the wake of a disturbing child sex abuse scandal involving former assistant coach.

Paterno said in a statement Wednesday that he would retire after the season, but the university's board of trustees met Wednesday night and decided Paterno would not be allowed to continue as coach. Assistant coach Tom Bradley has been named interim coach.

Spanier chose to resign Wednesday and will be replaced temporarily by provost Rodney Erickson.

Paterno has been besieged by criticism since Jerry Sandusky, his former defensive coordinator, was charged over the weekend with 40 criminal counts of molesting eight young boys between 1994 and 2009 through his charitable foundation for at-risk youths, The Second Mile. Sandusky is free on bail and has a Dec. 7 court hearing.

Athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz were charged Monday with failing to notify authorities after an eyewitness reported a 2002 assault. The two will seek to have the charges dismissed, their lawyers said. Curley requested to be placed on administrative leave so he could devote time to his defense, and Schultz will be going back into retirement, the school announced.

The U.S. Department of Education said Wednesday it would investigate whether Penn State violated federal law requiring the disclosure of criminal offenses on campus and warnings of crimes posing a threat to the community in its handling of the allegations. U.S. Rep. Patrick Meehan, R-Pa., requested the Education Department's involvement on Tuesday.

"If these allegations of sexual abuse are true then this is a horrible tragedy for those young boys. If it turns out that some people at the school knew of the abuse and did nothing or covered it up, that makes it even worse," U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan said. "Schools and school officials have a legal and moral responsibility to protect children and young people from violence and abuse."

Mark C. Sherburne, Curley's acting replacement as AD, issued a statement Wednesday, saying the school is "devastated" by the allegations in the grand jury presentment against Sandusky.

"Our hearts go out to the children and their families," he said.

Ankf00
11-09-11, 11:32 PM
this press conf is ****ing embarrassing.

all anger on paterno getting fired. 100% groupthink

all the students gathering at the admin building to support JoePa, protesting the firing. surprising, but can't expect a buncha frat guys to frown on rape...

SteveH
11-09-11, 11:40 PM
this press conf is ****ing embarrassing.

No kidding, what a cluster.

Indy
11-09-11, 11:49 PM
Too bad we are not playing Penn State this weekend. I would really enjoy leading some mocking chants. PENN STATE *clap clap* CHILD RAPE *clap clap* PENN STATE *clap clap* CHILD RAPE *clap clap*

Instead we are playing Ohio State. The honest school. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

dando
11-10-11, 12:18 AM
Too bad we are not playing Penn State this weekend. I would really enjoy leading some mocking chants. PENN STATE *clap clap* CHILD RAPE *clap clap* PENN STATE *clap clap* CHILD RAPE *clap clap*

Instead we are playing Ohio State. The honest school. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not a time for humor, dumdabass. :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-10-11, 12:33 AM
@danieltosh daniel tosh
if you feel bad for joe paterno it's because you are an awful person.

@greggdoyelcbs
Gregg Doyel
Down goes the first light post. Crowd cheers this mighty victory.

Ankf00
11-10-11, 12:40 AM
No kidding, what a cluster.

the guy running the PC knocked it out of the park tho, chairman & CEO of US Steel, for once this week PSU managed to have an adult in the room.

SteveH
11-10-11, 12:48 AM
the guy running the PC knocked it out of the park tho, chairman & CEO of US Steel, for once this week PSU managed to have an adult in the room.

Agree, he held it together, very impressive. However, even I would seem impressive compared to the rest of that crowd. Bunch of lunatics.

Indy
11-10-11, 01:07 AM
Not a time for humor, dumdabass. :shakehead

-Kevin

Yeah, I suppose you are right. The truth is that I am still very angry. I guess the humor was a way to release some of that anger. Sorry if I offended anyone.

gjc2
11-10-11, 08:30 AM
I was very surprised when Paterno announced he would retire at the end of the season instead of resigning effective immediately. Then his comment that he wishes he had done more, he should have said he wishes he had done something.
I know a lot of you guys hold him in high esteem, but I think he’s a real low life.
And I thought the rally in his support was chilling:
We don’t care about child molestation happening under your watch, just win us some football games.

G.
11-10-11, 09:27 AM
Normally, with stories like this, we don't know the facts and our reactions are premature to say the least.

Based on what I read from the grand jury, the only thing, and I mean only thing, keeping Joe out of (IMO, his rightful place in) prison is that he says he never heard any details on the "incident".

When, if it comes out differently, that he did know the gory details, I hope his last days are spent looking through bars.

Sandusky won't make it to trial, my guess.

Elmo T
11-10-11, 09:44 AM
Sandusky won't make it to trial, my guess.

I had that same thought. :rolleyes: "Old Sparky" the electric chair is just up the road and could be dusted off for this one.

I had my reservations at first - at least regarding who knew what and when. Thinking Paterno was the befuddled old grandpop who clearly was confused about what could be going one. Then I read the grand jury report. :shakehead:mad:

Cleaning house will be required to have any chance of PSU not forever being the child rape school.

Indy
11-10-11, 10:02 AM
If I were an alumnus I would be suing the school for destroying the value of my degree. Penn State is now a badge of shame. And the rioting kids are just driving home that point. :shakehead