PDA

View Full Version : NFL '11

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

extramundane
01-02-12, 08:59 AM
So what's Matt Flynn worth as a free agent right now?

Given Dan Snyder's track record, north of $50 million for a multi-year deal, of which he'll play 1.75 years before being traded to Jacksonville for a truckload of Shahid Khan's bumpers.

That's just a guess, though. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
01-02-12, 11:49 AM
chill y'all.

Romo's got this.

:rofl::rofl:

Actually HE was covered... by Gmen defensive lineman.

Giants looking healthy and pretty stout. :thumbup:

dando
01-02-12, 12:23 PM
Jeebus Tebow leads 8-8 Broncettes to playoffs with a stellar 6 for 20 60 yard and one interception performance.

Awesome..........

You forgot the fumble. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
01-02-12, 12:25 PM
Worst playoff team in NFL history. Pittsburgh by 38.

Stealers have a one-legged QB and likely lost their #1 RB...this could be another 7-3 game. :saywhat:

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-02-12, 01:41 PM
Stealers have a one-legged QB and likely lost their #1 RB...this could be another 7-3 game. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ok -- Steelers by 28 in that case.

Ankf00
01-02-12, 02:34 PM
:rofl:

Actually HE was covered... by Gmen defensive lineman.

Giants looking healthy and pretty stout. :thumbup:

Eli 67 short of 5,000. I blame cruz's two ****ups vs. NYJ when he was supposed to run a corner behind Manningham/Hicks clearing out the zone, and instead ran dig/curl. :gomer:

and someone needs to get Osi a set of pads & jersey that fits him, looks like he squeezes into a boy's small.

and I love giving grief about Romo, especially since it just twists the knife with cowboys fans (hi FTG! where ya been?), but I like him, think he's a top 10 qb in the league. last night he was still 78%, miles austin had two drops on the drive (I think in that series alone), one likely a 1st, the 2nd one would totally have been a first. had a 106 qbr for the day despite being sacked 6 times and buying time over and over again w/ his feet in the 2nd half, he's top 5 qbr for the season too. and he's somehow the scapegoat for the year? are you kidding me? when scandrickand sensabaugh have fat contracts while opposing wr's make it look like practice with a Jugs machine every game? terrance newman getting hurdled and shed on every other td pass? they have 3 guys who would start elsewhere in the league on D, ratliff lee and ware.

EDwardo
01-02-12, 03:09 PM
You forgot the fumble. :gomer:

-Kevin

I also got the 6 for 20 wrong. He was 6 for 22 for a 2.7 yards per catch average. I also forgot to mention his 6 carries for 16 yards averaging 2.7 yards per carry. And he was sacked twice.

I say the NFL should waive the rules and immediately induct him into the Hall of Fame.:eek:

Insomniac
01-02-12, 05:25 PM
It's looking like this will be an interesting postseason (on field and off).

Polians fired in Indy. (I'd fire Caldwell too. That team didn't play hard for him.)
Spagnulo and Devaney out in STL.
Morris out in TB.

WickerBill
01-02-12, 05:52 PM
Twitter is all abuzz that Peyton Manning has asked to be traded.

Ziggy
01-02-12, 06:01 PM
I don't know the inner workings of Pro Football (or much of anything for that matter:p) but I'm pretty sure Polian needed to be shown the door. If for nothing else than bringing his obviously brain dead son into the mix and giving him the keys to the franchise.

I have no idea who the Colts should hire. Nobody from the Bears is obvious.

I guess they should ask Jeff Fisher who he wants to work with :D

Congrats to Bengals fans, Nice to see Marvin and the boys reach the playoffs. That is one tough division

RusH
01-02-12, 06:16 PM
Giants always seem to peak at the right time:thumbup:

Insomniac
01-02-12, 07:15 PM
Twitter is all abuzz that Peyton Manning has asked to be traded.

I have my doubts primarily because they owe him $28M before they can even trade him by NFL rules. It's not in his interest to make that request. The Colts won't pay that and take all the cap consequences (plus all the wasted cash). If he renegotiated to move the date, then he'd force his new team to trade away draft picks. Why not get an outright release? New contract, pick your new destination.

Also, he doesn't seem like a guy who would do that.

Ankf00
01-03-12, 02:35 AM
cowboys still haven't tackled him

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.999660.1325486967!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/image.jpg

chop456
01-03-12, 02:40 AM
Looks like he uses the Devin Hester rear-view mirror method, also.

Ankf00
01-03-12, 02:45 AM
his post game quote about jumbotron rear view made the cowboysfail that much funnier :D

chop456
01-03-12, 02:50 AM
I didn't know that. Just seemed obvious from the pic that it's what he was doing. :laugh:

Jumbofail.

Andrew Longman
01-03-12, 09:41 AM
Twitter is all abuzz that Peyton Manning has asked to be traded.All last week, NY tabloids were calling for him to come to the Jets.

I absolutely do not see Payton coming to the Jets bozo barn -- except to maybe hang more with little bro and cash a huge check. It would be another Jets epic fail.

Andrew Longman
01-03-12, 09:46 AM
I guess they should ask Jeff Fisher who he wants to work with :DThat would be a really good choice and IMO good fit for their needs. He'd bring more toughness and swagger to a team looking to find its mojo post Payton.

Only other choice would be a really great offensive/QB guru to maximize the Andrew Luck factor. That's probably not Fisher but I don't know who that is.

SteveH
01-03-12, 11:20 AM
Chicago Bears GM Jerry Angelo out. :thumbup:

Happy New Year!!!!!!

Ankf00
01-03-12, 12:53 PM
That would be a really good choice and IMO good fit for their needs. He'd bring more toughness and swagger to a team looking to find its mojo post Payton.

Only other choice would be a really great offensive/QB guru to maximize the Andrew Luck factor. That's probably not Fisher but I don't know who that is.

jeff fisher is barely a .500 coach with 6 playoff seasons out of 17. the only thing he's going to instill is excitement over mediocrity and 1980's offense.

Don Quixote
01-03-12, 01:02 PM
jeff fisher is barely a .500 coach with 6 playoff seasons out of 17. the only thing he's going to instill is excitement over mediocrity and 1980's offense.Marty Schottenheimer is available.

extramundane
01-03-12, 01:08 PM
Marty Schottenheimer is available.

You'll get Marty when you pry him outta the UFL-Champion Virginia Destroyers' cold, dead hands. :gomer:

Ankf00
01-03-12, 01:11 PM
Marty's another NFL tenured retread, but at least you get to make the playoffs at a greater percentage than his .610 career record. 13 out of 21

WickerBill
01-03-12, 01:12 PM
Colts need a defensive-minded HC with Norv Turner as OC to handle Pey-Pey or Neckbeard 2.0. My only guess is Cowher is going to get both GM and HC duties, which never works well.

TravelGal
01-03-12, 07:57 PM
Marty Schottenheimer is available.

If only Norv Turner were. :rolleyes:

RTKar
01-03-12, 08:18 PM
Chicago Bears GM Jerry Angelo out. :thumbup:

Happy New Year!!!!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

About time. Terrible draft picker.

Andrew Longman
01-03-12, 08:48 PM
jeff fisher is barely a .500 coach with 6 playoff seasons out of 17. the only thing he's going to instill is excitement over mediocrity and 1980's offense.Jeff did more with less than I would expect from most. His teams always played tough. He earned my respect when he was DC for the Eagles. I was glad when he left.

Got someone better top of mind?

There are always people out there without any pro head coaching experience who surprise though -- either by how well they do or how much they fail.

e,g, Harbaugh bros, Spagnoulo

Ankf00
01-04-12, 11:27 AM
more with less? he got to have the GM of the titans run out of town, he got all the offensive talent he wanted, that is, none. all he cared about was defense and jumbo single back sets and passing only on 3rd down. floyd reese did a heck of a lot more as a GM over his career to show it was Fisher not him

Ankf00
01-05-12, 01:01 PM
falcons smell like poo.

Andrew Longman
01-05-12, 03:19 PM
more with less? You may have a point. You clearly know about their situation over the years.

I just know the Titans always played tough, complete games. He called a game the way I think games should be called. And yes, defense came first -- as I think it should.

Guys like McNair and George showed up every week and left everything on the field and quit when they couldn't any more. They played like I think Fischer thinks a team should.

And he did it pretty much year after year.

I'm just saying a team could do a lot worse. Most do.

Ankf00
01-05-12, 03:29 PM
defense wins championships, but a functional offense is required unless you're the 2000 ravens and have an all time great defense.

Heimerdinger did great stuff w/ mcnair and george, but not a fan of how they ran george into the ground, power running out of 12 and 13 formations, I remember both mcnair and george being put together w/ duct tape by the ltime the ast 1/3 of the season would come around

Andrew Longman
01-05-12, 04:54 PM
I remember both mcnair and george being put together w/ duct tape by the ltime the ast 1/3 of the season would come aroundSorry... It is football, not basketball or shuffleboard.

But then again, having played as long as I did, there are many mornings and times during the day when my body agrees with you. And the 16 game season, limited roster and salary cap are realities that have to be managed against.

Ankf00
01-05-12, 05:07 PM
true, but if you're giving me epic talent like McNair and George, I'm making sure their bodies aren't wasted after a 5 year surge (the earl campbell treatment), with only shells of their former selves left for the other 4 years before they retire (George, McNair managed to stick around a couple longer to no effect). I'm speaking in terms of long-term team success. all-time talent like that shouldn't be squandered like some undrafted free agent from west texas A&M imo

League's too difficult the past 10+ years to just plug and play qb's, and w/ a talent like EG, imo Gilbride's balance is the perfect way to marry power rushing w/ the necessary modern pass game. Gilbride's i-form pisses off my HS OC friend so much, who's a giants fan and spread fanatic, but f him, gotta be able to pound it when you need to.

Buddy Ryan' and his era can eat a bag of dicks :gomer: Gilbride4life!

extramundane
01-13-12, 02:35 PM
The Fear of God (http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/the-fear-of-god.jpg), starring Tom Brady & Bill Belichick.

Gnam
01-13-12, 02:51 PM
:D

all it needed was Danny Glover saying, "All we really got is each other."

Andrew Longman
01-13-12, 04:19 PM
Gilbride4life!A genuine Gilbride fan. Who'dathunk?

Third and 12. Let's do a screen pass. Again. And again.

I am a fan of his in that his philosophy isn't too much different than Erhardt in that he won't let the offense cost the team the game. But he is a tad more "modern" in the passing game.

Rather than the screen pass Ernhardt was predictable in running the draw out of the shotgun on 3rd down. Again. And again.

When it worked it worked. Otherwise they would just safely punt on 4th down and wait for another turn.

Not really stupid. But it seems there are times when it is a huge momentum sucker.

Ankf00
01-13-12, 04:35 PM
you can have Jeff Fisher, and I'll keep the guy who made Warren Moon & Eli :gomer:

I didn't hate the screens and safe plays on third and long that much, until this year. down & distance is low percentage as it is, keep it safe and try to get it someone in space. but given 3 legit wideouts and Eli's accuracy this year, no excuse to not be more vertical even if it's an obvious passing down, when you compare it to the screen pass conversion percentage. "play action passing game," sure, but we had no f'ing play action for more than half this season w/ a last place running game and Eli still led the league in 40yd+ completions. take advantage of that ability to impose a passing game.

WickerBill
01-13-12, 04:45 PM
NE 42 Den 19

Gnam
01-13-12, 05:32 PM
Betting against Tebow on Friday the 13th? :shakehead

I shudder to think of the consequences.

Ankf00
01-13-12, 06:02 PM
NE 42 Den 19

how much money ol' timmy cost you this season so far? :D

dando
01-14-12, 01:13 AM
how much money ol' timmy cost you this season so far? :D

Just think about the irony....instead of Green & Yeller, Green & White and Purple & White Jeebus, WB's got the real thing this season. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Napoleon
01-14-12, 06:55 AM
Tebowie!!!!!! (http://www.hulu.com/watch/318731/late-night-with-jimmy-fallon-tebowie)

SteveH
01-14-12, 10:36 AM
:rofl::laugh::rofl::thumbup:

Don Quixote
01-14-12, 11:14 AM
Wow. :laugh: :laugh:

Andrew Longman
01-14-12, 12:05 PM
:laugh: Brilliant!

I hear you play New England this week. Dude, you're on your own.

MoCartt
01-14-12, 06:20 PM
Looks like the 49ers are playing like a higher seed to the Saints. 17-0 already. Should be a wild one unless the 9ers "D" takes control.

Shootin' da' Breeze.

aportinga
01-14-12, 09:00 PM
Looks like the 49ers are playing like a higher seed to the Saints. 17-0 already. Should be a wild one unless the 9ers "D" takes control.

Shootin' da' Breeze.

I'd like to see Denver and the 49'ers for sure but there is planety of time for the 9'ers to lose.

Napoleon
01-14-12, 09:12 PM
Oh my God, what a game!

TravelGal
01-14-12, 09:25 PM
Oh my God, what a game!

Does make it fun to watch sometimes, doesn't it? :thumbup: Rather than, oh ah, NE already scored. Yawn.

MoCartt
01-14-12, 09:29 PM
That game was one of the more pure and balanced NFL playoff games I've seen.

Defense and Offense, lots of twists, the constant pressure of Nawlins making a comeback, doing it...and then the 9ers still pull it out.

That crowd was pretty cool too. They let out some roars.

Gnam
01-15-12, 02:04 AM
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!1111!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

1st Quarter: OMG! we're kicking their ass.
2nd Quater: OMG! here come the Saints.
3rd Quarter: OMG! the offense sucks.
4th Quarter: OMG! three point game.
last 4 minutes: :(:D:eek::D

Every 49er fan on the planet feels just like Vernon Davis in this photo:
God bless Jim Harbaugh.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6624/49erssaints1142012verno.png

Ziggy
01-15-12, 10:26 AM
Epic football game

The NFL does it right

lose all the commercials please:thumdown:

dando
01-15-12, 12:16 PM
Peter King @SI_PeterKing
Good nugget from @mikereiss: In a 35-point blowout last night, Chad Ochocinco played one snap.

:rofl: :gomer:

-Kevin

nrc
01-15-12, 02:02 PM
It's like Bellichek is doing him a favor to try and get him a Super Bowl ring. :confused:

Ankf00
01-15-12, 06:13 PM
A genuine Gilbride fan. Who'dathunk?

Third and 12. Let's do a screen pass. Again. And again.

you were saying? :)

extramundane
01-15-12, 08:57 PM
It's like Bellichek is doing him a favor to try and get him a Super Bowl ring. :confused:

I think after a 3rd down, up-by-a-zillion Tom Brady punt, he's already established himself as a master troll. An Ocho SB ring just adds to it.

dando
01-16-12, 02:10 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!1111!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Have I mentioned how I loathe the 9ers lately? :mad: It pains me to root for a team Ank likes, but GO G-Men! :gomer:

-Kevin

Napoleon
01-16-12, 03:22 PM
I think after a 3rd down, up-by-a-zillion Tom Brady punt. . .

Seriously, they had Brady punt? Why? Don't they have a punter?

(I turned off the game at halftime)

Gnam
01-16-12, 03:46 PM
Have I mentioned how I loathe the 9ers lately? :mad: It pains me to root for a team Ank likes, but GO G-Men! :gomer:

-Kevin

C'mon son! Catch the fever.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/757/nnwedat.jpg

Andrew Longman
01-16-12, 04:06 PM
Seriously, they had Brady punt? Why? Don't they have a punter?

(I turned off the game at halftime)A quick kick on 3rd down and long. Actually a pretty smart move with a big lead. Low risk and all they really wanted to accomplish is to pin them deep. Despite what Denver thought, I don't think deliberately turning over the ball to the other team can be seen as unsporting.

Would they rather they actually tried to get (and got) the first down? Even taking a knee on third down would have used up more clock.

Its called situational football and it is smart. Only not knowing situational football (or just not thinking about it for a second) would lead a person to think it was unsporting or putting Denver's nose in it.

I count James Walker and Von Miller among them http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/37229/so-about-tom-bradys-quick-kick

Ankf00
01-16-12, 05:42 PM
C'mon son! Catch the fever.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/757/nnwedat.jpg

no matter, we gots Rambeau. and he's back... for more!

http://mankindunplugged.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Eli-Manning-New-York-Post-Rambeau-Packers-Giants.jpg

chop456
01-17-12, 12:05 AM
If I liked the Giants, I'd stop.

Ankf00
01-17-12, 11:58 AM
hey, you've still got hockey season :)

chop456
01-17-12, 01:59 PM
Yep. I'm a huge Packers fan. :gomer:

If that pic featured Romo, you'd never stop laughing. :D

Ankf00
01-17-12, 07:36 PM
Rombeau doesn't quite roll off the tongue as easily :gomer:

Ankf00
01-17-12, 08:37 PM
The St. Louis Rams are set to make Jeff Fisher the NFL's second-highest paid coach, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Tuesday.

Fisher, who chose the Rams over the Miami Dolphins Friday, will sign a five-year contract worth about $35 million before his formal introduction at a 2:00pm ET news conference Tuesday.

His yearly salary of about $7 million is second only to Bill Belichick's $7.5 million, and tied with the Redskins' Mike Shanahan.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/St-Louis-Rams-head-coach-Jeff-Fisher-to-sign-five-year-deal-011712

6 playoff wins from 7 opportunities in 17 years (3 during the super bowl run) nets you straight. cash. homie.

Andrew Longman
01-17-12, 09:51 PM
Yep. I'm a huge Packers fan. :gomer:

If that pic featured Romo, you'd never stop laughing. :DTrue.

And you do "get" the (Murdoch owned) NY Post, right? ;)

The metro area also has, of the top of my head, the NYT, Daily News, Newsday, Advance, WSJ, Star Ledger, Record, Times of Trenton, Courier News, Metro, and Eagle.

There are a bunch more including a probably nearly a dozen foreign language dailies.

That crap has everything to do with Murdoch's world view on news and nothing to do with Eli, The NY Football Giants, or NYC (other than the city is large enough to support a brain dead newspaper -- just as it can also support a Yiddish daily). Well that and my MIL needs something to read.

SteveH
01-17-12, 10:32 PM
http://deadspin.com/5876848/stop-whatever-youre-doing-and-watch-this-sad-drunk-lady-cry-about-the-packers-loss

I told you not to do the sparkles. :rofl:

Andrew Longman
01-17-12, 10:37 PM
I love football, and drunk girls.:rofl::thumbup:

Napoleon
01-18-12, 07:36 AM
A quick kick on 3rd down and long. Actually a pretty smart move with a big lead. Low risk and all they really wanted to accomplish is to pin them deep. . . . [/url]

When you think about it the move makes all kinds of sense. At that point in the game the only way you get beet is with a string of breakout type play which is not necessarily tied to field position. You put on 3rd and they are not trying to block you and there is no one in the back to run it back, so you take one opportunity to do it away from them and stick them with bad field position to boot.

Insomniac
01-18-12, 09:36 AM
When you think about it the move makes all kinds of sense. At that point in the game the only way you get beet is with a string of breakout type play which is not necessarily tied to field position. You put on 3rd and they are not trying to block you and there is no one in the back to run it back, so you take one opportunity to do it away from them and stick them with bad field position to boot.

You also have the element of surprise. No punt formation, punt returner. But wouldn't it be just as much of a surprise if they lined up the same way on 4th down? Of course, people would complain about that too.

Napoleon
01-18-12, 09:58 AM
You also have the element of surprise. No punt formation, punt returner.

That is the whole point of doing it on 3rd. You all but take any chance that there is a block or runback that results in a touchdown off the table. Would it work on 4th down? Maybe, but even if you didn't put your punter in a wise coach may place one possible run back guy in the back field. You do it on 3rd its less likely that they do and even if they do the QB can run a normal play.

Andrew Longman
01-18-12, 12:01 PM
That is the whole point of doing it on 3rd.Yep. And up until the early 1960s the quick kick was a pretty common occurrence in football -- but that was back when teams might pass 12 times a game and 21 points was a lot to score in a game. Field position mattered a lot more and ball possession mattered less.

Napoleon
01-18-12, 12:12 PM
Yep. And up until the early 1960s the quick kick was a pretty common occurrence in football.

I did not know that.

By the way, Belichek seems to me the type of guy who is motivated by nothing other then winning. I can not imagine showing people up/rubbing people's nose in it/etc. ever factoring into something he does.

Don Quixote
01-18-12, 12:35 PM
Woody Hayes used to quick kick a bunch. With his offenses, a third and 12 was pretty tough.

Andrew Longman
01-18-12, 12:37 PM
...Belichek seems to me the type of guy who is motivated by nothing other then winning. I can not imagine showing people up/rubbing people's nose in it/etc. ever factoring into something he does.Pretty much.

My impression going back to his Giants days is that he absolutely understands the very violent, merciless nature of the game. And he understands the psychological toll that can take on an opponent and the advantage it can give your team -- as well the threat it is to your team if you forget that the sport is absolutely about literally forcing your will upon the opponent.

But I never got the sense that he thinks it should be gratuitous -- in fact that's a distraction. Everything must be purposeful and he will not apologize for doing what is necessary to win the game.

BTW, the NFL network does a pretty good behind the scenes showcase of the 09 season with him.

TrueBrit
01-18-12, 01:13 PM
San Fran v N.O. was most likely one of the best games of football I have ever watched...the team I was rooting for lost, but, holy heck, what a finish by the Niners...

So Niners, N.E in the SuperBowl...should be a good game!

Ankf00
01-18-12, 01:52 PM
BTW, the NFL network does a pretty good behind the scenes showcase of the 09 season with him.

should've done it for the 07 season instead :tony:

Napoleon
01-18-12, 02:15 PM

This is supposedly pretty good as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Education-Coach-David-Halberstam/dp/1401301541

stroker
01-18-12, 04:18 PM
My impression going back to his Giants days is that he absolutely understands the very violent, merciless nature of the game. And he understands the psychological toll that can take on an opponent and the advantage it can give your team -- as well the threat it is to your team if you forget that the sport is absolutely about literally forcing your will upon the opponent.

But I never got the sense that he thinks it should be gratuitous -- in fact that's a distraction. Everything must be purposeful and he will not apologize for doing what is necessary to win the game.

"...the horror.... ....the horror....."

Insomniac
01-19-12, 09:38 AM
I did not know that.

By the way, Belichek seems to me the type of guy who is motivated by nothing other then winning. I can not imagine showing people up/rubbing people's nose in it/etc. ever factoring into something he does.

And if he can stick it to someone while he's at it... ;)

He has been very consistent IMO. Also, the Patriots have talked about playing a full 60 minutes all year. He wasn't going to pull people.

Insomniac
01-19-12, 09:40 AM
This is supposedly pretty good as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Education-Coach-David-Halberstam/dp/1401301541

I thought it was a good book. Since the focus is BB, people may not like it, but it was interesting to see his life story (football centric).

Ziggy
01-19-12, 11:34 AM
Heard on the radio yesterday where Ed Reed through Joe Flacco under the bus :)

Should be a big help going into Sundays game :gomer:

Don Quixote
01-19-12, 02:10 PM
Not to mention how every team's defensive linemen are throwing him under the bus week in and week out.

dando
01-19-12, 04:23 PM
nbc4i.com @nbc4i
Bengals WR Simpson Indicted On Drug Charge: Cincinnati Bengals receiver Jerome Simpson has been indicted for ma... bit.ly/yGiX0X

:gomer:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
01-19-12, 04:34 PM
After getting off to a slow start on the felony counter, the Bungles sure have closed well.

Ziggy
01-20-12, 11:12 AM
:rofl::thumbup: