PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

Pages : 1 [2]

dando
08-07-12, 12:16 PM
Just picked up our 20th Gold.....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Rigged. :gomer: Good games for the Brits. Enjoyed watching the 6-pack they picked up Sunday. :thumbup:

-Kevin

TrueBrit
08-08-12, 12:21 PM
Rigged. :gomer: Good games for the Brits. Enjoyed watching the 6-pack they picked up Sunday. :thumbup:

-Kevin

You have to understand this in context. When I was just a little TrueBrit and international sporting competitions would come on the telly I would always see the Russians, the East Germans (remember them?) and the Americans just totally dominating everything and everyone. I would ask my dad how come Britain never seemed to win gold medals, just silver or bronze, and he never really had an answer for me.

Now, as I approach my half-century my (comparatively) tiny island country is kicking some serious arse and I couldn't feel prouder if I had a Team GB logo tattooed on my johnson...

(The irony of course is that I now know what it must feel like to be an American...:D)

dando
08-08-12, 01:31 PM
You have to understand this in context. When I was just a little TrueBrit and international sporting competitions would come on the telly I would always see the Russians, the East Germans (remember them?) and the Americans just totally dominating everything and everyone. I would ask my dad how come Britain never seemed to win gold medals, just silver or bronze, and he never really had an answer for me.

Now, as I approach my half-century my (comparatively) tiny island country is kicking some serious arse and I couldn't feel prouder if I had a Team GB logo tattooed on my johnson...

(The irony of course is that I now know what it must feel like to be an American...:D)

Oh, I get the context, and I remember those days. Of course the answer was simple, the Brits didn't dope and didn't pour oodles of $$$ into their program (or programme in your case ;)). Keep in mind that in the early days of the Olympics, the Brits dominated them. :) And kudos on the good showing. I must say it is surprising. I was wondering how well they would perform being the host country. Just hope it doesn't make y'all go broke like the Greeks. :gomer:

-Kevin

SteveH
08-08-12, 01:46 PM
I was thinking the other day how boring the Olympics would be if I wasn't an American. :gomer:

TrueBrit
08-08-12, 04:03 PM
I was thinking the other day how boring the Olympics would be if I wasn't an American. :gomer:

Especially if you only had NBC to watch them on...:shakehead

TKGAngel
08-08-12, 07:58 PM

So that's why CTV has been trying to claim Missy Franklin as a Canuck....

EVL29
08-09-12, 01:18 AM
.http://www.offcamber.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=410&stc=1&d=1344489474

Elmo T
08-09-12, 09:19 AM
Yikes - bad day for the Kiwis in London:

Kiwi House fire (http://www.3news.co.nz/Kiwi-House-fire-Quick-thinking-chef-saves-the-day/tabid/1697/articleID/264789/Default.aspx#ixzz233EWyhhz)

A barbecue fire at Kiwi House in London has charred more than just a few sausages.

The hundreds of New Zealanders toasting our latest medal successes escaped unharmed when two gas cylinders exploded, but the same can't be said for the garden bar.

It was the Olympic flame no one wanted to see lit. Kiwi House was having a busy night when an outdoor barbecue caught fire at around 7:20pm London time.

EtcMWI7YuX8

Gnam
08-09-12, 11:22 AM
Too many shrimp on the barbie. :gomer: [/count it]

TrueBrit
08-09-12, 12:00 PM
*cough* 24 golds now *cough*

I think they're going to keep the same initials G.B. but change the first word to GOLD...!!!:D:thumbup:

TravelGal
08-09-12, 01:02 PM
Yikes - bad day for the Kiwis in London:

Kiwi House fire (http://www.3news.co.nz/Kiwi-House-fire-Quick-thinking-chef-saves-the-day/tabid/1697/articleID/264789/Default.aspx#ixzz233EWyhhz)

EtcMWI7YuX8

Lord (and ElmoT) forgive me but I can't stop laughing. The only thing funnier would have been if it had been the Aussie House. :laugh:

Kiwifan
08-09-12, 02:15 PM
Bugger!

Not sure what happened there but don't think there was an Aussie hand involved as they are starting to get a few Golds, now. ;)

I think the Flight Of The Concords will be writing a new script about Aussie House Gal. :rofl:

dando
08-09-12, 02:35 PM
American runner Manteo Mitchell ran the last 200 meters of the opening lap of the Olympic 4x400-meter relay preliminaries Thursday with a broken leg.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/trackandfield/story/_/id/8251820/2012-london-olympics-us-runner-manteo-mitchell-finishes-4x400-meter-relay-broken-leg

Mitchell says, "I figured it's what almost any person would've done in that situation."

:eek: :thumbup:

mapguy
08-09-12, 03:11 PM
Broken leg?

http://royalfootballer.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/the-man.jpg

Bitch please...

TKGAngel
08-09-12, 06:49 PM
Hockey on a broken leg? Sweet jeebus. (I'm not even going to make a Laffs joke, I'm that impressed.)

dando
08-09-12, 10:58 PM
Hockey on a broken leg? Sweet jeebus. (I'm not even going to make a Laffs joke, I'm that impressed.)

Well, there was also Fred Dryer in Super Bowl XIV playing on a broken leg, but running a 200m race with a broken leg is just insane.

-Kevin

dando
08-09-12, 10:58 PM
Usain Bolt is just a BEAST. :eek:

-Kevin

mapguy
08-10-12, 08:48 AM
Well, there was also Fred Dryer in Super Bowl XIV playing on a broken leg, but running a 200m race with a broken leg is just insane.

-Kevin

I dunno. Scoring the game winning goal in overtime during the Stanley Cup finals while playing defence make those two examples pretty tame...

TravelGal
08-11-12, 04:18 PM
BMX. :thumbup:

opinionated ow
08-11-12, 07:59 PM
BMX. :thumbup:

Adults crashing on children's bikes? Keep that crap for the X-Games...

rosawendel
08-11-12, 09:24 PM
after the race-walking sessions, the return to the nbc booth for banter and discussion. when they go to commercial after the segment, they play hilights of the race with the video sped up, set to the music of the benny hill show.
embarrassing.

dando
08-12-12, 12:08 PM
Heckuva gold medal game. Spain gave the US all they could handle and then some. They took care of the ball and took the US out of their transition game when they did. US hit critical 3s when they had to in the 2nd...especially LeBron late in the 4th. Respect for The King. :thumbup:

-Kevin

TrueBrit
08-13-12, 09:11 AM
All in all an absolutely brilliant Olympics...!!!

Team GB were a bunch of over-achieving superstars bringing home 29 gold medals, 65 in total and third place overall....

Couldn't be more proud of the team, the event, the fans and the organizers...Absolutely Fabulous!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

dando
08-13-12, 10:09 AM
All in all an absolutely brilliant Olympics...!!!

Team GB were a bunch of over-achieving superstars bringing home 29 gold medals, 65 in total and third place overall....

Couldn't be more proud of the team, the event, the fans and the organizers...Absolutely Fabulous!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Agreed. Good show put on by the Brits. :thumbup: Didn't get all the cover bands performing last night, tho. Especially when I flipped over later during the overnight shows ~midnight and The Who was performing live. :confused: But hey, we got the Spice Girls reunion and George Michael. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

-Kevin

opinionated ow
08-13-12, 10:27 AM
Sadly it has once again come to an end. The only good thing about the end of the Olympics is that the Paralympics are just around the corner!

London did a wonderful job. Once they got that ticketing thing sorted I don't think I saw an empty seat. The choices for venues were brilliant: the Marathon that took in all the sights, the Triathlon in Hyde Park and around the palace, the Equestrian (with wonderful decoration) at Greenwich Park and the Olympic Stadium right by the river. Well done Boris and Sebastian.

Elmo T
08-13-12, 10:38 AM
Watched a good bit of the closing ceremonies live on the Roku. Kids watched on NBC last night. Only confirmed again NBC's edited and crappy coverage.

How does NBC not show the start of the closing ceremonies? :rolleyes:

Where was The Who & Kate Bush? :shakehead

And why spoil the surprise of the appearance? Don't tell me Eric Idle is going to pop out BEFORE he does.

dando
08-13-12, 10:51 AM
Sadly it has once again come to an end.

The girls keep asking why the Olympics are over and why they won't happen again for four years. Of course, they also fell asleep on the couch watching the closing ceremonies. I guess the Pet Shop Boys in their pointy hats weren't enough to keep them up past 9. :)

-Kevin

dando
08-13-12, 10:54 AM
Watched a good bit of the closing ceremonies live on the Roku. Kids watched on NBC last night. Only confirmed again NBC's edited and crappy coverage.

And why spoil the surprise of the appearance? Don't tell me Eric Idle is going to pop out BEFORE he does.

Coverage was crap. They actually started the coverage in the pre-show that started @ 7 instead of the 8:30 slot they dedicated for the ceremonies. The Who did perform live, but not during the 'prime' part of the show. :confused:

-Kevin

Elmo T
08-13-12, 10:55 AM
I guess the Pet Shop Boys in their pointy hats

And Madness? And George Michael? I felt like I was going to have to get up in the AM for high school. :laugh:

nrc
08-13-12, 11:20 AM
Dug up the Kate Bush clip. I thought maybe she came riding in on the Loch Ness monster or something as equally improbable as a live Kate Bush performance. Alas, it was just a recorded remake of "Running Up That Hill" with film clips and interpretive dance.

After The Who's Super Bowl performance NBC probably thought they were doing the country and the band a service by cutting away.

KLang
08-13-12, 11:45 AM
Not sure why but I just wasn't really into the Olympics much this time. Watched most of the opening ceremonies and a couple hours of coverage on the regular NBC station most nights. Forgot all about the closing last night. I enjoyed most of what I watched but I didn't make time to watch more as I have in the past.

Maybe had something to do with knowing the results of everything throughout the day. :confused:

dando
08-13-12, 11:48 AM
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/13/viewers-outraged-after-nbc-cuts-away-from-closing-ceremonies/

Viewers outraged after NBC cuts away from closing ceremonies

NBC was pummeled by viewers who took to social media after the network cut away early from the closing ceremonies of the London Games on Sunday to air a new television show, drawing outrage from those who tuned in for the highly anticipated musical spectacle.

The Twitter-sphere exploded - with "#NBCfail" and "#closingceremonies" trending worldwide - after NBC cut out performances by Ray Davies, Kate Bush, the Who and the Muse in favor of a commercial-free airing of "Animal Practice."

:shakehead

Needless to say, I did not watch Animal Practice. :saywhat:

-Kevin

mapguy
08-13-12, 12:51 PM
Thank god it's over.

WickerBill
08-13-12, 01:55 PM
How can there be no Rolling Stones?? And they picked Annie Lennox for "dark" instead of Ozzy? Ozzy would have been fun.

dando
08-13-12, 02:04 PM
How can there be no Rolling Stones?? And they picked Annie Lennox for "dark" instead of Ozzy? Ozzy would have been fun.

I'm sure Ozzy has to think to breathe these days.... :(

-Kevin

TKGAngel
08-13-12, 02:04 PM
The girls keep asking why the Olympics are over and why they won't happen again for four years. Of course, they also fell asleep on the couch watching the closing ceremonies. I guess the Pet Shop Boys in their pointy hats weren't enough to keep them up past 9. :)

-Kevin

At least there's only 2 years until Sochi's Winter Games. At which point NBC maybe will stop using Crosby's GWG in Vancouver as the sole talking point for US/Canada Olympic relations.

And speaking of our neighbors to the north, I love that they wore Canadian tuxedo jackets last night. Someone at the HBC was allowed to have some fun when designing those outfits. The US looked weirdly formal in their Polo garb.

stroker
08-13-12, 02:47 PM
Thank god it's over.

+1

cameraman
08-13-12, 03:08 PM
My brother hates US tv enough to have a Canadian satellite dish so we watched the Canadian broadcast of the closing ceremonies. There were a couple commercial breaks, maybe 4 that were pretty well timed with major set changes, and the hosts rarely said a word. Once to explain that the burning guy on the tightrope was a homage to the Pink Floyd album cover. Seems there were quite a few wtf tweets about that one.

Somehow I think we came out waaaay ahead given the comments about the NBC coverage.

Elmo T
08-13-12, 03:14 PM
Needless to say, I did not watch Animal Practice. :saywhat:

-Kevin

You'll enjoy this (http://tinyurl.com/9uroy77) blog review by Ken Levine. Some NSFW (but apropos) potty words. :rofl:

Don’t they realize that interrupting the Closing Ceremonies with a sitcom is the same as flashing a half hour pop up ad? And how many people like pop up ads? When was the last time you bought a product you saw on a pop up ad? On the other hand, how many products have you boycotted because you resented the ad?

TrueBrit
08-13-12, 04:17 PM

Having suspected that they would butcher the closing ceremony as badly if not worse than the opening ceremonies I watched it live on the BBC...glad I did. 1) No commercials 2) No Ryan Seacrest/Al Michaels/Bob Costless 3) No commercials 4) got to watch the flow of the whole event 5) No Ryan Seacrap etc etc.

I agree, announcing who the surprise guest performer was before the surprise was par for the course for #NBCFail. They spoiled at least one event with a 'Today' show trailer that showed the winner of the event they were in the middle of interrupting.

Animal Hospital looks incredibly lame, even by #NBCFail's standards.

And really, you have to bleep "s h i t" from the lyrics at 10.pm Eastern on a Sunday night? What are you 8 years-old?:rolleyes:

Kiwifan
08-14-12, 05:41 AM
Yes! 6 Gold medals, 15th placed in the World, we (4 million of us) are stoked!!!! :D :D

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/drug-cheat-stole-golden-moment-005521943.html

Note to Aussie cuzzies, see how we let you beat us, just to keep the peace? ;)

nrc
08-14-12, 11:41 AM
Yes! 6 Gold medals, 15th placed in the World, we (4 million of us) are stoked!!!! :D :D

#3 per capita, well done!

http://simon.forsyth.net/olympics.html

G.
08-14-12, 01:43 PM

Ostapchuk was found to be carrying male hormones in her penis.

Kiwifan
08-14-12, 02:17 PM
:rofl:

datachicane
08-14-12, 05:46 PM
First off, I'm not sold on the appropriateness of a huge, tasteless, brit-pop-culture extravaganza as a closing ceremony in the first place.

That said, if you've decided to do a huge, tasteless, brit-pop-culture extravaganza, God knows there's a deep field of acts to choose from, although the producers seemed to do a bunch of shopping at the shallow end of the pool. While it's cool that they included (multiple) nods to the Beatles, Queen, Ray Davies, Pink Floyd, the Who, etc., etc., how is it that you manage to make it through umpteen hours without a single whisper of the Stones? :saywhat:

...and Pete Townshend is there and tuned up anyway, but you decide the Kaiser Chiefs are a better choice for 'Pinball Wizard'? Heck, Elton John would have been a more appropriate pick. Whither Zeppelin? Clapton and Beck? Winwood? Well, at least we got plenty of Jessie J.

cameraman
08-14-12, 06:24 PM
You want a closing ceremony rant? This is a closing ceremony rant...

http://christt.com/words/closingceremony/

I knew Kim Gavin’s Closing Ceremony would be the antithesis of the crazy-beautiful joy that Danny Boyle and Frank Cottrell Boyce brought to the opening night: I knew it would be predictable and mainstream. But that was fine, we’d have a laugh, enjoy the music acts we like and I honestly thought it would still be funny after three hours. Witnessing the pop stars and lickspittles trying to equal Boyle’s heady brew. Art is subjective, after all.

I was mistaken: it was a numbing, disheartening disaster. The biggest floating turd we ever did whiff; reducing, demeaning and re-squishing Britain, at the very moment we’d felt shifted long-term for the better by these liberating Olympic Games. In one fattened pig of a gong-show, Gavin forced us back into clunky shackles that Boyle and Boyce briefly, tantalisingly freed us from, only a month ago. Far worse than just being bad, what unfolded was – I think – proper ****ing dangerous. You know that phrase: the banality of evil. So...

emjaya
08-14-12, 11:26 PM
#3 per capita, well done!

http://simon.forsyth.net/olympics.html

Those lists are rubbish. Australia doesn't beat New Zealand in any of them. :gomer:

I thought I was watching the men's shotput when I saw Ostapchuk.

TravelGal
08-15-12, 02:02 AM
You want a closing ceremony rant? This is a closing ceremony rant...

http://christt.com/words/closingceremony/

He seems to have put his finger squarely on what I was trying to say when I looked at TravelGuy and said, "This is what Britain wants to be known for? It's the best they have?" I thought as spectacle it was a pretty well done "huge, tasteless, brit-pop-culture extravaganza [of] a closing ceremony." (cf datachicane). It's just that the spectacle itself was not worth doing, IMHO. Gave me a very icky feeling, in stark contrast to the games themselves.

TKGAngel
08-15-12, 08:25 AM
If you want the icky feeling to go away, watch this (http://www.speedtv.com/programs/speed-center/speed-center-video-presented-by-audi/indycar-zanardi-for-gold-2012-1782517531001/1). Speed took a look at Zanardi's quest for gold in the Paralympic Games.

Warning: the video does contain clips & pics of his accident. So if you're squeamish, skip the first minute of the video.

trish
09-05-12, 11:11 PM
Alex has already gotten one gold medal. I'm really disappointed that there is no real coverage in the US.

TravelGal
09-05-12, 11:15 PM
Alex has already gotten one gold medal. I'm really disappointed that there is no real coverage in the US.

What about the streaming BBC hints we had? Or is the BBC ignoring it also? :saywhat:

trish
09-05-12, 11:21 PM
What about the streaming BBC hints we had? Or is the BBC ignoring it also? :saywhat:
If it exists, I can't find it.

opinionated ow
09-06-12, 01:30 AM

If it exists, I can't find it.

Channel 4 is the British broadcaster of the Paralympics.

their promo:
kKTamH__xuQ

All events can be streamed online at http://www.paralympic.org/

Don Quixote
02-12-13, 11:18 AM
Just heard on the radio that wrestling is being dropped from the olympics. Great. Maybe they can add a couple more of those gymnastic "sports" with the streamers and hula hoops.

Gnam
02-12-13, 12:08 PM
Olympic texting.

dando
02-12-13, 01:06 PM
Just heard on the radio that wrestling is being dropped from the olympics. Great. Maybe they can add a couple more of those gymnastic "sports" with the streamers and hula hoops.

Golic was beside himself this AM about this on Mike & Mike. Getting rid of boxing would be more appropriate, IMO. Boxing is a dead sport. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
02-12-13, 01:14 PM
Dropping wrestling is stupid. it is an original Olympic sport and truly amateur.

But they will include golf and consider "roller sport".

Don Quixote
02-12-13, 01:33 PM
Let's drop track and field while we are at it and add ballroom dancing. :thumbup:

Insomniac
02-14-13, 10:14 AM
Blade Runner Charged with Murder

Paralympic superstar Oscar Pistorius was charged Thursday with the murder of his girlfriend who was shot inside his home in South Africa, a stunning development in the life of a national hero known as the Blade Runner for his high-tech artificial legs.

Reeva Steenkamp, a model who spoke out on Twitter against rape and abuse of women, was shot four times in the predawn hours in the home, in a gated community in the capital, Pretoria, police said.
http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/8946820/olympic-sprinter-oscar-pistorius-charged-murder-girlfriend-reeva-steenkamp

dando
02-14-13, 10:26 AM
Blade Runner Charged with Murder

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/8946820/olympic-sprinter-oscar-pistorius-charged-murder-girlfriend-reeva-steenkamp

Yeah, I saw that earlier today. Truly sad, as he was the feel good story of the London games. :saywhat: Supposedly he shot her after he thought there was an intruder in his home. But firing that many shots? :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
02-14-13, 10:37 AM
Cops say they responded to a call from a neighbor about shots fired. When they got there paramedics were already there and working on the woman. That would suggest he was the one who called the paramedic.

Messed up story any way you look at it.

TravelGal
02-14-13, 02:49 PM
Messed up story any way you look at it.

+1 Sad indeed.

Gnam
02-14-13, 08:19 PM
:(

poor little tink-tink. [/katt williams]

opinionated ow
02-14-13, 09:12 PM
it's south africa and lots of people sleep with a loaded gun by their bed. Tragic if that turns out to be the case.

Andrew Longman
02-14-13, 09:26 PM
it's south africa and lots of people sleep with a loaded gun by their bed. Tragic if that turns out to be the case.True. My best friend is Sourh African and has told me stories. Rough place.

Doesn't likely change the fact that SA is probably no in different than the US in that a gun in your house is more like to kill or harm you or a family member than it is to be used on an intruder.

Andrew Longman
02-14-13, 09:27 PM
+1 Sad indeed.Quite a contrast it would seem with fellow legless Olympian Zanardi.

Insomniac
02-21-13, 09:22 AM
Short explanation of the 2 versions of what happened: http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t1#/video/crime/2013/02/21/erin-foreman-pistorius-crime-scene-outline.cnn

I'm with the prosecutors. Things don't add up in his version.

Andrew Longman
02-21-13, 02:30 PM
Short explanation of the 2 versions of what happened: http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t1#/video/crime/2013/02/21/erin-foreman-pistorius-crime-scene-outline.cnn

I'm with the prosecutors. Things don't add up in his version.I agree.

And what robber is going to help himself to the toilet?

If this were the US it also would not be ok to shoot a robber through a door. He would be expected to call the cops before using deadly force on someone who is neither threatening him or trying to escape with his property

Napoleon
02-21-13, 05:53 PM
And what robber is going to help himself to the toilet?

The story is worse then that. What robber, without being forced to by circumstances (ie, because he is being chased), breaks into someone's house then locks themself in a bathroom.

If this were the US it also would not be ok to shoot a robber through a door. He would be expected to call the cops before using deadly force on someone who is neither threatening him or trying to escape with his property

Not in stand your ground jurisdictions which have essentially legalized murder (and statistics to date shows caused homicide rates to increase 7-10%).

Insomniac
02-22-13, 12:22 PM
The story is worse then that. What robber, without being forced to by circumstances (ie, because he is being chased), breaks into someone's house then locks themself in a bathroom.

And from her perspective, seems odd that she would lock the door if she just got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

Even if it happened as he claims, I'd hope there is still a severe punishment for the level of stupidity that resulted in an accidental death. She did absolutely nothing in his version of events to contribute to her death.