View Full Version : OC NFL Pickem' Pool

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

dando
01-13-13, 07:19 PM
Out Carolled. :rofl:

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-14-13, 11:13 AM
I see ya'll have picked the same one I picked for the last game. Be afraid, be very afraid.

I was going to ask you not to pick NE. :D

TravelGal
01-14-13, 02:44 PM
I was going to ask you not to pick NE. :D

:D:D Even a blind squirrel.....

dando
01-15-13, 01:20 PM
In. Weeks 14 and 15 sunk my battleship. :(

-Kevin

TravelGal
01-15-13, 03:05 PM
Oh Cr@p. Do we have to do this again? Maybe I should PM you guys which two teams I picked. Just as a warning.

Insomniac
01-18-13, 08:41 AM
Standings Update:

I have clawed back to mid-pack!

With 3 games left to pick, nrc can tie Dvdb if nrc goes 3-0 and Dvdb goes 0-3. Everyone else is out of it. dando has a shot at #2 if he goes 3-0 and nrc goes 0-3.

We have a 3 way tie for 4th (me, WB and cameraman) followed closely by BGWTF (1 game back) and knight_of_dulcinea (2 games back). None of us can get to 3rd.

Napoleon and TravelGal round out the league and neither of them can move up.

The real battle is mid-pack!

So possible final standings:
Dvdb 1st
nrc 1st or 2nd
dando 2nd or 3rd
Insomniac 4th to 8th
WickerBill 4th to 8th
Cameraman 4th to 8th
BGWTF 4th to 8th
knight_of_dulcinea 4th to 8th
NapoleonOfManorFarm 9th
Jessguessin 10th

Dvdb
01-18-13, 10:14 PM
I look at it as my magic number is 1, and nrc has to pick the underdogs and hope for upsets.

nrc
01-19-13, 02:53 AM
I look at it as my magic number is 1, and nrc has to pick the underdogs and hope for upsets.

You're not going to forget to pick these last two weeks? :D

Dvdb
01-19-13, 10:14 AM
Not after your reminder, no.

dando
01-19-13, 11:16 AM
Not after your reminder, no.

I suggest picking the Browns and Cards. Just sayin'. ;)

-Kevin

Dvdb
01-19-13, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I couldn't pull the trigger on the Browns. :D

dando
01-19-13, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I couldn't pull the trigger on the Browns. :D

Dayum...I should have never fallen prey to nrc's Jedi mind tricks in week 15 and 16. The last thing I could remember was 'these aren't the droids you are looking for.' ;)

-Kevin

cameraman
01-20-13, 06:37 PM
Third time's the charm...

cameraman
01-20-13, 07:03 PM
Happy, happy, joy, joy. The Falcons aren't going to the Superbowl.

Gnam
01-20-13, 07:25 PM
YIPEE KI-YAY!!! :D

These Niners don't quit. Great game.

TravelGal
01-21-13, 02:56 AM
I didn't really care who won (Niners or da boids) but I thought it was the most exciting game I've seen in the playoffs. Probably beat the Superbowl by a country mile.

dando
01-21-13, 10:28 AM
I didn't really care who won (Niners or da boids) but I thought it was the most exciting game I've seen in the playoffs. Probably beat the Harbaugh Bowl by a country mile.

Fixed. :gomer:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
01-21-13, 11:21 AM
Probably beat the Superbowl by a country mile.Maybe. But the Super Bowl of late has yielded some pretty great games and these two team match up well.

I just wonder if a QB making his tenth pro start in the Super Bowl will just flip out. Then again I think Hostetler was making his fourth start back in the 1990 SB so who knows?

Insomniac
01-25-13, 02:53 PM
Standings Update:

Dvdb is the champion, nrc is second, dando is third, Napoleon is ninth and TravelGal is tenth..

We have a 3 way tie for 4th (me, WB and cameraman) followed closely by BGWTF (1 game back) and knight_of_dulcinea (2 games back).

So possible final standings:
Insomniac 4th to 7th
WickerBill 4th to 7th
Cameraman 4th to 7th
BGWTF 4th to 8th
knight_of_dulcinea 7th or 8th

TravelGal
01-25-13, 11:10 PM
Standings Update:

Dvdb is the champion, nrc is second, dando is third, Napoleon is ninth and TravelGal is tenth..

Yeah, but I came in second twice. Gotta get my kudos where I can. :\

Dvdb
02-01-13, 11:09 PM
Last reminder of the season.......get your Super Bowl picks in.

TravelGal
02-02-13, 01:57 AM
Last reminder of the season.......get your Super Bowl picks in.

I picked mine as soon as the site let me. Before I could be influenced by anything resembling the facts. :tony: [haven't had a chance to use a Tony smilie in a long time]

dando
02-02-13, 10:33 AM
The needful has been done. And bite me. :p

-Kevin

Gnam
02-02-13, 08:58 PM
49ers 30
Ravens 28

The 49ers' Defense needs to get to Flacco and disrupt his passing game. No more hail marys.

dando
02-03-13, 09:44 PM
Got damn. I picked 45, but I didn't think it would be by one team. :saywhat:

-Kevin

TravelGal
02-04-13, 12:33 AM
That could be my line. I picked 35. :laugh:

Insomniac
02-04-13, 10:22 AM
I hoped for a better ending. Gore bowling over Lewis for the winning TD. Too bad they didn't try that.

Andrew Longman
02-04-13, 01:19 PM
I hoped for a better ending. Gore bowling over Lewis for the winning TD. Too bad they didn't try that.
When they had a first and goal from the six and more the 2:00 I said the challenge will be to not score too quick. Then they ran three stupid calls before finally even trying to put the ball in the end zone. That roll to the right (I think on first) had failed twice already.

Little bro can complain all he wants at the family Easter dinner that he was robbed on the fourth down defensive holding non call (and he would be wrong. There needs to be more of a hold than that to get a call that will gift a win to one team) but he had three prior plays to win it and his calls didn't give his team a chance to win.

Dvdb
02-04-13, 01:38 PM
Damn safety cost me $200 at the local watering hole.

Thanks to everyone for playing. I hope you enjoyed the season.

Next up, the March Madness pool.

TravelGal
02-04-13, 01:48 PM
When they had a first and goal from the six and more the 2:00 I said the challenge will be to not score too quick. Then they ran three stupid calls before finally even trying to put the ball in the end zone. That roll to the right (I think on first) had failed twice already.

Little bro can complain all he wants at the family Easter dinner that he was robbed on the fourth down defensive holding non call (and he would be wrong. There needs to be more of a hold than that to get a call that will gift a win to one team) but he had three prior plays to win it and his calls didn't give his team a chance to win.

Agreed. The best coach won yesterday. Innovative (fake field goal; okay it didn't work but they held and they capitalized on great field position on the next possession), taking the safety to run out the clock, etc.

Thanks to everyone for playing. I hope you enjoyed the season.

Next up, the March Madness pool.

I had a great time and put more thought into it than my picks (unfortunately) showed. As for bball, :rolleyes:

Gnam
02-04-13, 02:25 PM
Great game. I almost don't care that the 49ers didn't win, almost. :p
Definately torture to watch though. Allowing a kickoff return to start the second half? Ridiculous. :shakehead

Laying Ed Reed out twice, once for a touchdown. Awesome.
Scaring the hell out of your older brother. Priceless.

Andrew Longman
02-04-13, 02:50 PM
Laying Ed Reed out twice, once for a touchdown.
That block on the touchdown was among the best I've ever seen. That it came at such a critical moment against arguably the best safety in the league in the Super Bowl was epic.

Coupled with his decleating tackle later on a jones kick return I was thinking how cool it would be to give Bruce Miller the MVP.

Gnam
02-04-13, 02:50 PM
In real time it was a gentle gesture meant to comfort his brother. But the split second captured by the photographer, is what it felt like.

http://s8.postimage.org/h208nqw11/350x_9.jpg

TKGAngel
02-04-13, 04:05 PM

$225 here. I said a lot of naughty words when the safety happened.

And kudos to Steve Tasker for doing an admirable job when he was the only reporter with a live mic during the power outage.

Gnam
02-04-13, 08:18 PM
One more.

http://s4.postimage.org/q8cjzl919/f18b7a65_6f5d_423b_81c5_b31f75cbf040_Large.jpg

dando
02-05-13, 01:58 PM
Rick Reilley's take on the SB.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8912996

-Kevin

Insomniac
02-06-13, 01:38 PM

I think a flag could've been thrown, but I'm OK it wasn't. I'm more concerned they didn't throw a flag on the safety. Holding can't get any more blatant than that. Outcome is the same regardless, but that was bad. To me that indicates they were swallowing the flag.

Andrew Longman
02-06-13, 02:32 PM
Holding on the safety? I missed that.

But that would have resulted in an automatic safety and maybe a few more seconds on the clock. What would the point?

As for the fourth down play, yes I have seen a flag thrown for less, but the receiver was doing a lot of hand checking too (including hands to the face) and I don't see a ref making that call on effectively the last play of the Super Bowl.

nrc
02-06-13, 02:36 PM
I think a flag could've been thrown, but I'm OK it wasn't. I'm more concerned they didn't throw a flag on the safety. Holding can't get any more blatant than that. Outcome is the same regardless, but that was bad. To me that indicates they were swallowing the flag.

Flag should have been thrown for holding on the safety but as you say, the result is the same regardless.

dando
02-06-13, 02:37 PM

But that would have resulted in an automatic safety and maybe a few more seconds on the clock. What would the point?

As for the fourth down play, yes I have seen a flag thrown for less, but the receiver was doing a lot of hand checking too (including hands to the face) and I don't see a ref making that call on effectively the last play of the Super Bowl.

See Fiesta Bowl 2003. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
02-06-13, 02:42 PM
See Fiesta Bowl 2003. :gomer: ;)

-KevinThat was a mugging, not just interference. It had tor be called. :gomer:

nrc
02-06-13, 05:59 PM
It was pretty evident throughout the game that the refs were going to "let them play." You can't play the whole game that way and then complain that it doesn't go your way in the final minute.

Another example of the officials' "hands off" approach - Cary Williams gave an official a shove during a scuffle that probably would have gotten him ejected from most games.

Insomniac
02-06-13, 11:48 PM

There were a couple, they wrapped guys up. Penalty would've meant nothing. Decline = safety, Accept = safety. Flag doesn't stop the clock/play. It's a nice loop hole since time is most valuable.

Insomniac
02-06-13, 11:51 PM
It was pretty evident throughout the game that the refs were going to "let them play." You can't play the whole game that way and then complain that it doesn't go your way in the final minute.

Another example of the officials' "hands off" approach - Cary Williams gave an official a shove during a scuffle that probably would have gotten him ejected from most games.

I agree. I was saying that last play really showed they were calling it loose (as they do in most SBs, still a little bitter about all the holding on the helmet catch).