PDA

View Full Version : NFL Offseason '15

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Insomniac
09-05-15, 02:05 PM
Teblow cut confirmed. Mildly surprising. I thought, as did most of the talking heads, that the Barkley trade put Teblow into the mix @ QB. $10 he ends up on the scout team in Philly, as I don't see anyone else picking him up. Not having a #3 QB behind Bradford is a BIG time gamble. And no, IMHO, Philly and Big D will duke it out for #1 in the NFC East. Questions are Bradford and the Big D running game.

Tebow isn't eligible for the practice squad. His only option for an NFL playing future is an active roster.

dando
09-05-15, 02:14 PM
Tebow isn't eligible for the practice squad. His only option for an NFL playing future is an active roster.

Ah, cool. Then there's still hop that the Pats will pick him when Brady gets suspended again. :gomer: :D

WickerBill
09-05-15, 02:21 PM

This is something I didn't know. What's the eligibility rule? "Must not have had a fluke playoff win"?

dando
09-05-15, 03:09 PM
This is something I didn't know. What's the eligibility rule? "Must not have had a fluke playoff win"?

Based on the article I just read about Devon Still getting cut, first season only. Apparently they bent the rules to allow him back onto the practice squad last season (his second).

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/29/6077941/nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-deadline

dando
09-05-15, 03:42 PM
Tom Reed retweeted
Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson 17m17 minutes ago
A source just told me that #Patriots WR Reggie Wayne “will not be on 53.” Added, “he will not be there."

nrc
09-05-15, 04:15 PM
Tebow isn't eligible for the scout team. Once you're on an active roster for most of a season you're not eligible.

Speaking of which, from a human interest angle I was sorry to see that Devon Still didn't make the Bengals and his practice squad eligibility is done. Fortunately my understanding is that the Bengals already paid his insurance for five years. Class move by the Brown family. From a team perspective it's absolutely the right move. The Bengals have some good young talent on the D line that they need to keep and develop. They also needed Sims as a backup to help clog the middle against the run.

I thought it was interesting that the bengals.com story on their cuts was mum about Watson and Wilder. I think they'd like to keep one or both on the practice squad and they're worried about losing them both.

nrc
09-05-15, 04:21 PM

It's a typically complicated NFL rule involving "accrued seasons" which depends on whether you've been on the active and/or game day roster during a certain phase of the moon.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/9/5/9265429/nfl-practice-squad-rules-what-players-are-eligible-how-much-are-they

In order to be eligible for the practice squad, players must meet one of the following requirements:

Have no prior Accrued Seasons in the NFL (An accrued season is six or more games on the active roster);
Have one prior Accrued Season in which the player was on the 45-man active roster for no more than 8 games;
Each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of 2 Practice Squad players who have earned no more than 2 accrued seasons of free agency credit;
If served two seasons on a practice squad, are eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment.
A player has served one season on the practice squad if he is on the practice squad for at least 6 games. The rule previously required 3 games on the practice squad roster.

Insomniac
09-05-15, 05:26 PM

Haha. The rules are actually kinda complex.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-141150270.html

A couple years ago before some of the recent changes, Belichick said they had one player they thought was eligible who wasn't and the other way. Teams have had to check with the league in the past to verify.

Insomniac
09-05-15, 05:27 PM
Ah, cool. Then there's still hop that the Pats will pick him when Brady gets suspended again. :gomer: :D

Jimmy G!

Insomniac
09-05-15, 05:29 PM
Adam Schefter: WR Reggie Wayne asked to be released, according to source.
Adam Schefter: Expectation around the NFL is that former Patriots WR Reggie Wayne now will retire.
Adam Schefter: Former Colts and Patriots WR Reggie Wayne likely would be willing to play again -- but only in right situation, per source.

I hope he gave back the $450k. :)

dando
09-06-15, 12:50 AM
I hope he gave back the $450k. :)

Same as T.Rich, who collected $600K up front from the Raiderz. That POS 'earned' $18m+, cost the Clowns a draft (four picks to trade up...none of which are still with the team), and the Colts a #1 pick (to the Browns, used to select Johnny Football).

dando
09-06-15, 08:28 PM
Ah, the Clowns saga continues....

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/09/a_cleveland_browns_offense_bui.html

Sunday, the Browns traded their leading rusher from a season ago, Terrance West, to the Titans for a conditional seventh-round pick. A club with a 36-year-old journeyman quarterback that wants to run the ball is left with Isaiah Crowell, who struggled down the stretch last season, and third-round pick Duke Johnson, who's in concussion protocol.

Note, they traded UP to get West in '14 in the 3rd round, and dumped him in '15 for a 7th round pick. Why bother? 7th rounder? So they have 2 healthy RBs, nothing of significance at WR, and a 36 year-old journeyman at QB with a nutjob with a bad elbow backing him up. I wish their P Andy Lee good luck this season...he's gonna need it. His leg might fall off.

dando
09-07-15, 02:59 PM
Tom Reed ‏@treed1919 20m20 minutes ago
From the #Browns: "Over the weekend, Andy was involved in an incident, involving allegations that we take very seriously."

Tom Reed ‏@treed1919 21m21 minutes ago
#Browns announce offensive line coach Andy Moeller has been suspended indefinitely.

Just can't make this stuff up. :rofl:

EDIT: Moeller is the son of former UM head coach Gary Moeller, who was forced to resign in '95 after getting busted up and causing a ruckus at a local watering hole. Apple/tree? :gomer:

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/09/andy_moeller.html

dando
09-07-15, 10:58 PM
John Fox: Chicago Bears Coach Responds to Green Bay Packers Coach Mike McCarthy's Comments
McCarthy said last week that the Packers will "kick Chicago's ass" when the teams face off Sunday. "I looked at the tape. They should be confident," Fox said Monday during a press conference.

:laugh: :rofl:

TKGAngel
09-08-15, 11:02 AM
ESPN investigates the cheating cheaters who cheat...I mean, the New England Patriots.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

Andrew Longman
09-08-15, 12:17 PM
I'm no Patriots fan, but cheating is not cheating if you don't break the rules. As for Deflategate, the judge basically got it right when he said the the NFL couldn't prove that the Colts or any other team hadn't deflated balls too and that there wasn't the least bit of precedent for a four game suspension for such an after-the-fact imposition of a vaguely defined, regulated and enforced rule.

Much the same for Spygate. Football teams have had closed practices for probably 100 years. Teamshave hired planes to overfly and film practices. In baseball team always try to steal signals - and sometimes get beaned for doing so - and so they change signals almost every game. Is that too hard for football players?

Best parts of the article are saying that you'd want Belichek to do your taxes and that probably the most effective aspect of Patriots "cheating" was the degree of paranoia and spent energy it created for opposing coaches (Mangini esp.).

Sorry but it seems like sour grapes about getting out coached and so much buffoonery by the league and Goodell especially. The man is and acts like a lawyer and has no vision nor pitch-perfect ear required for that level of leadership.

Rozelle gets far too little respect IMO in that regard. And he led the NFL to what it is while being a single dad with an alcoholic exwife.

Insomniac
09-08-15, 01:32 PM
You missed another one: http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/08/patriots-cheating-suspicions-bill-belichick-tom-brady

Insomniac
09-08-15, 03:48 PM
I do like that there is absolutely no new information about the Patriots in either article, but all the new information is about:

1. Goodell and (Pash) and the League Office's handling of Spygate
2. The huge amount of anger from other teams towards the Patriots
3. The belief they got off easy for Spygate (I wonder what they wanted to happen?)
4. Deflategate was a Spygate do-over for the other owners
5. The amount of time people think about, worry about and attribute all the myths to the Patriots
6. The number of people who attribute losing to the Patriots to cheating (because believing you were robbed of _____ because of cheating is better than you weren't good enough)

Some of it is entertaining. A couple examples:

Carolina changing their game plan in the second half and saying they were able to walk up and down the field after that. Did they (and ESPN) just forget that SB? No one scored in the 1st and 3rd quarters. In the second quarter people started to wonder if this was going to be the most boring SB ever. Then it exploded. The 3rd quarter, Carolina had a whopping 22yds on their first 2 drives before the last drive in the 3rd quarter (going into the 4th netted a TD). That's walking up and down the field? Couldn't NE assume the same thing about Carolina? The teams played great defense and great offense at essentially the same times through the game. So if NE wasn't good enough to stop Carolina without cheating, why was Carolina good enough to do it without cheating?

Belichick mysteriously knows what players didn't make the flight for games at the Patriots. Belichick is the entire reason the information is known. He once had a player (Seymour) questionable for a road game at Denver who didn't make the trip. The NFL was not happy and from then on, a player who doesn't travel has to be declared out. Across the league there are Saturday downgrades of players to out who do not travel. The NFL tells all teams.

dando
09-08-15, 11:04 PM
Still doesn't explain the alter Bellyache...

:gomer:

dando
09-10-15, 05:35 PM
Clowns sign RB Turbin from Seahags, release TPeezy. Kinda thought that was gonna happen if and when they signed a RB (they had 2 healthy RBs on the 53-man roster). However, Turbin is hurt with a sprained ankle and out for a few weeks. Only Cleveland...(and maybe Washington).