PDA

View Full Version : NFL Regular Season 2015

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

nrc
01-07-16, 10:22 AM
Two years isn't enough time to rebuild. Maybe three. He showed progress this year. Strange.

Agreed. Seems like they're following the Cleveland model.

Don Quixote
01-07-16, 10:50 AM
There has to be something else going on. A bad personality clash with ownership or something like that. Anybody who has watched 2 NFL games would tell you that Lovie is a top 10% coach.

chop456
01-07-16, 11:12 AM
I'd take him back as DC and I've watched at least 7 games. :thumbup:

nrc
01-07-16, 12:40 PM
There has to be something else going on. A bad personality clash with ownership or something like that. Anybody who has watched 2 NFL games would tell you that Lovie is a top 10% coach.

Saw a story today that rumored that it was a conflict over coaching staff changes that ownership wanted. Just stupid. If the HC isn't on board then stability trumps any tweaking that the front office may think would help.

dando
01-07-16, 12:56 PM
Saw a story today that rumored that it was a conflict over coaching staff changes that ownership wanted. Just stupid. If the HC isn't on board then stability trumps any tweaking that the front office may think would help.

Reminds of the classic quote from McKay...How about your offensive execution? I'm all for it. ;)

Don Quixote
01-07-16, 01:42 PM
Please pick up Mike Shanahan. I want the rat back in the league. :)

dando
01-07-16, 02:10 PM
Please pick up Mike Shanahan. I want the rat back in the league. :)

His name has actually been mentioned by the talking heads this week. :saywhat:

dando
01-08-16, 12:32 AM
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 2m2 minutes ago
Source: The 49ers have met with former Eagles coach Chip Kelly about the head-coaching job.

Oh boy...

Don Quixote
01-08-16, 10:54 AM
Oh boy...I had a beer last night with an Oregon alum, and he says Duck nation really really really wants Chip back. :laugh:

dando
01-08-16, 10:56 AM
I had a beer last night with an Oregon alum, and he says Duck nation really really really wants Chip back. :laugh:

I hope you took a shower afterwards. :gomer: ;)

Don Quixote
01-08-16, 04:53 PM
I hope you took a shower afterwards. :gomer: ;)Poor guy went to the National Championship game last year and the Oregon-TCU game this year. Talk about not wanting to kick a man while he is down.

nrc
01-08-16, 06:28 PM
Dalton out. Williams out.

dando
01-08-16, 06:43 PM
Poor guy went to the National Championship game last year and the Oregon-TCU game this year. Talk about not wanting to kick a man while he is down.

Nah....I particularly like giving Browns fans atomic wedgies. :gomer: :D :p

EDIT: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/browns-fans-sad-adele-hello_56620384e4b072e9d1c634b0

:p

dando
01-08-16, 07:12 PM
Flipping whiners about the Vikes/Shehags weather conditions. Go back to January 10, 1982 for reference. That was a 'snot sticker' game. Crap, Bud Grant didn't even allow heated benches when the Vikes played outside before the HHD. Man up. </rant> :irked:

EDIT: this was long before the 'Polar Vortex' entered the weather lexicon, and before they started naming winter storms like Goliath. :saywhat:

dando
01-09-16, 09:05 AM
From a certain Brownies fan in Denver...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWdZEumNRmI

:gomer: :D

Don Quixote
01-09-16, 12:37 PM
I forgot to make my annual super bowl prediction this year. it won't happen again.

KaBoom21
01-10-16, 12:57 AM
el oh el

Ed_Severson
01-10-16, 01:30 AM
Two years isn't enough time to rebuild. Maybe three. He showed progress this year. Strange.

It was a four-year deal when they hired him. Take it from a Bears fan ... with Lovie, the second half is always worse than the first. ;)

dando
01-10-16, 03:41 AM
Welp, that sucked. Time to cut ties with Pacman. Burfict needs to go to the Tony Stewart School for Anger Management. :saywhat: :shakehead: Guenther and Jackson...audios. :irked:

stroker
01-10-16, 11:40 AM
I don't know whether to be amazed or grateful at how last night's game has eclipsed the Green Bay/Seattle game from last year as "the worst post-season meltdown in history"... I wasn't able to watch last night's game but it sounds to me like the officials weren't riding herd as closely as they should have been.

SteveH
01-10-16, 11:49 AM
I don't know whether to be amazed or grateful at how last night's game has eclipsed the Green Bay/Seattle game from last year as "the worst post-season meltdown in history"... I wasn't able to watch last night's game but it sounds to me like the officials weren't riding herd as closely as they should have been.

Actually the announcers thought that the officials did.

chop456
01-10-16, 01:03 PM
Bengals were jobbed on multiple levels. Situationally, the Burrfict hit was idiotic, but the uneven application of rules will make headhunting worse, IMO. The bad call on CIN cost them 3. The non-call on PIT for the EXACT same thing was BS and even the commentators got it completely wrong. Simms sounded like a hysterical woman.

dando
01-10-16, 01:09 PM

IMO, they were and they weren't. The officiating was uneven. One hit is a head shot, and another is not. When a WR drops his head, there's a thing called physics. This ain't Madden, yo. :irked::irked: Coach gets flagged for 'touching' a player, yet another is on the field instigating a dumbass player, but is not. :mad: Not naming names, but the NFL needs to figure out what it is and wants to be. :\ </rant>

Insomniac
01-10-16, 01:32 PM
That game was just insane. My opinions:

Right no call on Gio hit for defenseless, but Shazier used the crown of his helmet and it seemed like unnecessary roughness. Shazier is a horrible person the way he celebrated mid-field, antagonized the fans and was just overall really proud of himself. The Wheaton hit, by the same logic of the Gio hit should've been no flag since he had take 2 steps and become a runner. Burfict sack looked clean to me and the Brown one at the end was basically rule book defenseless. The flag on Pacman was the most questionable flag. There was worse stuff happening just during that stoppage. I'm also surprised that they didn't eject the Steeler's coach. Mostly forgotten, that Bryant TD catch, wow. That was about the worst meltdown I can think of in a game.

1. Get the lead by 1 point
2. Run a horrible, horrible 2-pt play (AJ Green on the sideline too)
3. Get a turnover in easy FG range
4. Hill Superman's for a little extra ground on 1st down and fumbles
5. Wounded Big Ben returns, just keep out of FG range
6. Bad penalty followed by dumber penalty
7. No attempt at a FG block

dando
01-10-16, 02:29 PM
That game was just insane. My opinions:

Right no call on Gio hit for defenseless, but Shazier used the crown of his helmet and it seemed like unnecessary roughness. Shazier is a horrible person the way he celebrated mid-field, antagonized the fans and was just overall really proud of himself. The Wheaton hit, by the same logic of the Gio hit should've been no flag since he had take 2 steps and become a runner. Burfict sack looked clean to me and the Brown one at the end was basically rule book defenseless. The flag on Pacman was the most questionable flag. There was worse stuff happening just during that stoppage. I'm also surprised that they didn't eject the Steeler's coach. Mostly forgotten, that Bryant TD catch, wow. That was about the worst meltdown I can think of in a game.

1. Get the lead by 1 point
2. Run a horrible, horrible 2-pt play (AJ Green on the sideline too)
3. Get a turnover in easy FG range
4. Hill Superman's for a little extra ground on 1st down and fumbles
5. Wounded Big Ben returns, just keep out of FG range
6. Bad penalty followed by dumber penalty
7. No attempt at a FG block

Don't get me started, or I'll toss a water bottle. :gomer: ;) :\ :( So much epic fail on all three sides...Bungles, Stealers and refs...not to mention the fans. :\ I normally re-watch games win or lose. This one I hit the delete button. No way I could stomach that crap again. :irked:

dando
01-10-16, 10:32 PM
Apparently nrc has entered the Witness Protection Program... :gomer:

Insomniac
01-11-16, 03:56 PM
AD cut that run back to the left. Didn't get the first down and FG missed wide left. It shouldn't have been tough regardless, but certainly seems like they were trying to get it on the right side. That broken play was just brutal thought. To play so well and have that happen.

So 4 roads wins and all the home teams favored. The 2 teams most talked about being in the SB seem like the least favored. It's an interesting postseason. The AFC doesn't have a great team (KC seems like the team with the least questions, but perhaps the lowest potential ceiling) and the NFC has 2 great regular season teams and two (recent) historically great wild card teams.

Tifosi24
01-11-16, 05:51 PM
AD cut that run back to the left. Didn't get the first down and FG missed wide left. It shouldn't have been tough regardless, but certainly seems like they were trying to get it on the right side. That broken play was just brutal thought. To play so well and have that happen.

It's clear that AP, being the elite mind that he is, thought he could break it for a TD. McKinnon or Asiata were better choices if you were simply trying to set up the field goal. I agree though that the golden horseshoe play was the turning point. Minnesota probably pitches a shutout if they stop Wilson on that play.

Napoleon
01-11-16, 07:24 PM
Local media is reporting the Browns want to hire Hue Jackson of the Bengals.

dando
01-11-16, 07:49 PM
Local media is reporting the Browns want to hire Hue Jackson of the Bengals.

Hue is the front runner for the 9ers or Browns, depending upon the media source you read/hear/see. Guenther is also in the hunt for a HC job. Let the bidding wars begin. Not sure how that fits in with 'analytics ball'. :gomer: ;)

dando
01-11-16, 09:24 PM
Tez suspended for the first three games next season. TOTAL BS. Period. If Porter isn't suspended the same (as well as that ref crew), I smell BS. :saywhat: :irked: :flaming:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14550673/vontaze-burfict-cincinnati-bengals-suspended-3-games-repeated-safety-violations

nrc
01-11-16, 10:26 PM
Apparently nrc has entered the Witness Protection Program... :gomer:

I didn't want to comment until I had an opportunity watch the recorded SteelerVision version of the game. Just based on the media I've seen I don't think I was at the same game.

dando
01-12-16, 03:42 AM
I didn't want to comment until I had an opportunity watch the recorded SteelerVision version of the game. Just based on the media I've seen I don't think I was at the same game.

Recorded it. Deleted. Couldn't. Watch. It. Again...for fear I'd chuck a water bottle at the TV. :saywhat: :irked: :\

dando
01-13-16, 07:52 AM
Sorry St. Lou fans, this sucks...Bolts are next. :irked: :saywhat: :(

TravelGal
01-13-16, 01:25 PM
I just realized we don't have the barfing smilie. I was going to use it to illustrate my comment about watching Kroenke at the news conference. You would think he was the aggrieved party. The smarter party, yes, but aggrieved, I don't think so. Next up is that dolt (not bolt) Spanos who has been played like a banjo. We'll see what happens. Media seems to think the city of San Diego will rise up and clamor to keep the Chargers. Most humans have already said their emotional goodbyes, after having been jerked around this year with a ****load of lies.

Best reaction was my LA City Councilman. He put a picture of him in a Rams shirt on his Facebook page. He was a dorky 6 year old. He couldn't say anything remotely negative about the Rams' move but it really put into perspective their "coming home." :tony:

I don't know if any of you have been reading the progress of the site but it's about 40% done already. It's magnificently planned. Getting to it will be another story of course but this will, as they said, probably change the paradigm for stadiums from here on out.

stroker
01-13-16, 05:29 PM
Why can't the Raiders go to St. Louis? If they named them after EAST St. Louis the fans would feel right at home... :)

nrc
01-14-16, 04:42 AM
[BLOG]
I finally got to watch the full SteelerVision broadcast of the Bengals playoff loss. I've gone back and forth on how much is worth discussing here because you probably either already realize that Saturday night was as much a debacle for NFL officiating as for certain Bengal players, or you just accept Phil Simm's SteelerVision as truth and figure those ne'er-do-well Bengals got exactly what they had coming against the Saintly Steelers.

The truth is that the Steelers were instigating the entire game and yet the officials ran the game as though it were the Bengals that were the problem. Not even catching a Steelers coach rouging up a Bengals player could clue them in on the real picture, so determined were they to make sure those thug Bengals didn't start anything. Likewise, blatant fouls by the Steelers were missed or ignored while the Bengals received no such leeway.

As a result you had rising tensions throughout the game as the sense of injustice continued to build both on the field and in crowd. In spite of all that, everyone remained reasonably under control. Two scores down was no cause for panic. They had come back against the Steelers before.

Then came the play that really caused things to escalate.

ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET. It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

SteelerVision attempted to dismiss this because he was no longer a defenseless receiver. That doesn't matter - forcible contact with the crown of the helmet is illegal anywhere outside the tackle box. Mike Perina later tried to dismiss it claiming that it was a bang-bang play and that "they didn't line each other up". First of all the rule says nothing about that, second of all, Shazier lined Gio up from six yards away, ran straight at him, lowered his helmet and hit Gio right in the face with the crown.

This is when things got out of hand. Gio is still lying on the field while Shazier and another Steeler do a celebration dance at midfield that should have drawn a flag but still nothing. Now it's clear that the Steelers really aren't playing by the same rules and debris starts getting thrown on the field. I'm not saying it's right... but I understand. We could have used Sam Wyche at that point.

All the while the SteelerVision crew is aghast that everyone is so "out of control" when just they've just seen a Bengal player targeted with a hit that should have gotten Shazier thrown out of the game. It was that flagrant. Shazier deliberately spears Gio in the face and it's an "unfortunate hit" while Burfict is later portrayed as an out of control thug when he lowers a shoulder and happens to catch Brown in the head while he's going down.

As play resumed the crowd was continuously booing and throwing things on the field. This wasn't about any particular play or event it was just general mayhem. Anarchy in the Jungle! No justice, no peace! We're not gonna take it! So when you hear that Roethlesburger was pelted as he was carted out that's certainly true but it was part of ongoing demonstration of disgust, not specifically in response to Roethlesburger's injury.

So play gets back underway and in spite of being "out of control" the Bengals stage their miraculous comeback and I finally get to enjoy that Playoff win feeling again for the first time in 25 years. Game over. For about 30 seconds. Then Jeremy Hill throws it all back into question because he's playing stupid.

And make no mistake, as much as the media wants to focus on their favorite villains, it's really Hill that is the goat of this game. We'll never know whether the Steelers could have gotten into field goal range without those penalties but victory would have been all but certain if the Bengals could have held the ball three plays and kicked a field goal.

Thoughts on those final two penalties later.

dando
01-14-16, 06:02 AM
So many wrongs don't make a right. :irked: Hill wears the 'cone of shame'...much like the Vikes PK. :saywhat: The hit on Gio not being called is indefensible. Same with the Stealers G driving Tez into the end zone well after the play was over. Porter on the field to 'check on an injured player' yet gets into the grills of several Bingles </phil simms> players. Yet all the 'League' has to say is Tez is suspended?!? :mad: :shakehead: Can't defend the Tez hit on Brown. It was late. Pac needs to STFU. It is what it is. Hill doesn't fumble, none of this shizz happens. :( :irked: :\

dando
01-14-16, 06:07 AM
Welcome to Hue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

Careful what you ask for, you might just get it. Thought the dude learned his lesson in Raiderzland. :saywhat:

Insomniac
01-14-16, 10:23 AM
I think it is a shame for STL, but this may be good overall for other fans. The LA market is settled and the tolerance of tax payers to build stadiums for teams is getting smaller and smaller, or perhaps more accurately, with the rising cost of stadiums, the share they're willing to pay is getting smaller. 12-14 years ago stadiums cost $300-400M. 10 years ago it was ~$500M and 5 years ago $1B is the floor with some stadiums above $1.5B. Just not happening anymore and they now know the current cities have caps. Now threatening to move to STL means ~$300M for a $1B+ stadium, not a free stadium.

dando
01-14-16, 12:33 PM
I think it is a shame for STL, but this may be good overall for other fans. The LA market is settled and the tolerance of tax payers to build stadiums for teams is getting smaller and smaller, or perhaps more accurately, with the rising cost of stadiums, the share they're willing to pay is getting smaller. 12-14 years ago stadiums cost $300-400M. 10 years ago it was ~$500M and 5 years ago $1B is the floor with some stadiums above $1.5B. Just not happening anymore and they now know the current cities have caps. Now threatening to move to STL means ~$300M for a $1B+ stadium, not a free stadium.

Yup. We have a difficult time getting school levies passed in these parts. Hamilton County residents were soaked for $450m for PBS, then replacing the craptastic field (see Levis Field :saywhat:), and then upgrades for the video boards, etc. :saywhat: That being said, many new stadiums are funded by sin taxes (see Cleveburgh). Also, the economic impact for hosting a Super Bowl is huge.

dando
01-14-16, 12:35 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/14/nfl-loveshates-loves-steelers-bengals-aftermath/?utm_network=twitter&utm_post=4921447&utm_source=TW%20%40NBCSN&utm_tags=srm%5Bfootball%2Carticle%5D

TravelGal
01-14-16, 12:49 PM
Boss, that's the way we saw it here in LaLa Land. I was embarrassed to be routing for the Steelers. :thumbdown:

nrc
01-14-16, 02:01 PM
Sorry, dropped my blog in the wrong thread and then fork-lifted it over here.

dando
01-14-16, 02:54 PM
9ers hire Chipper. Gnam crawls into fetal position. :gomer: ;)

Gnam
01-15-16, 01:37 PM
9ers hire Chipper. Gnam crawls into fetal position. :gomer: ;)
:cry: :mad:

The York Family reminds me so much of the Hulman clan. Gifted a golden goose, they slaughter it to make dog food.
West coast gomers. :tony:

dando
01-15-16, 01:41 PM

The York Family reminds me so much of the Hulman clan. Gifted a golden goose, they slaughter it to make dog food.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2607942-chip-kelly-and-the-49ers-are-the-worst-match-imaginable?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

:saywhat:

dando
01-15-16, 06:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14577318/pittsburgh-steelers-coaches-joey-porter-mike-munchak-cincinnati-bengals-defensive-back-adam-jones-fined

ABSOLUTE TOTAL BS that Shazier wasn't fined. That hit on Gio was clearly beyond the rules. :irked: :saywhat: Also, why no reprimand announced for the refs? :mad: :shakehead:

Napoleon
01-15-16, 08:09 PM

York? You mean DeBartolo (a Youngstown Ohio family). That is where the money to buy that team came from. It just so happens Denise Debartolo married someone with the last name York.

Insomniac
01-16-16, 11:29 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14577318/pittsburgh-steelers-coaches-joey-porter-mike-munchak-cincinnati-bengals-defensive-back-adam-jones-fined

ABSOLUTE TOTAL BS that Shazier wasn't fined. That hit on Gio was clearly beyond the rules. :irked: :saywhat: Also, why no reprimand announced for the refs? :mad: :shakehead:

Dean Blandino's assessment. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/15/blandino-says-shazier-hit-was-not-a-violation/

The rule needs to be tweaked if they see it that way. It was absolutely unnecessary IMO. He could've still blown him up without putting his head down.

dando
01-16-16, 12:05 PM
Dean Blandino's assessment. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/15/blandino-says-shazier-hit-was-not-a-violation/

The rule needs to be tweaked if they see it that way. It was absolutely unnecessary IMO. He could've still blown him up without putting his head down.

The NFL can't even figure out what a catch is. :saywhat: :shakehead: Becoming more and more WWE. :irked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP4JfqHDlps

Dropped his head. Period. It's called targeting. Got Bosa ejected from the Fiesta Bowl for a lesser hit.

Helmet-to-helmet. **** Blandino and Pereira. Period. Idiots. :flaming:

nrc
01-17-16, 01:43 AM
It's complete BS. He absolutely lined him up from five yards away. The angle excuse doesn't fly either. They penalized and fined Burfict in 2013 for a hit from a much greater angle than that.

They're willing to admit that Porter shouldn't have been allowed on the field. They're willing to admit that the Bryant "catch" wasn't. But they're not willing to admit the obvious fact that this was a clear foul that wasn't called. I can only figure that it might be because they're concerned about the liability of admitting to a failure to enforce the safety rules that they've touted.

dando
01-17-16, 07:38 AM
It's complete BS. He absolutely lined him up from five yards away. The angle excuse doesn't fly either. They penalized and fined Burfict in 2013 for a hit from a much greater angle than that.

They're willing to admit that Porter shouldn't have been allowed on the field. They're willing to admit that the Bryant "catch" wasn't. But they're not willing to admit the obvious fact that this was a clear foul that wasn't called. I can only figure that it might be because they're concerned about the liability of admitting to a failure to enforce the safety rules that they've touted.

I love that they throw players and coaches under the bus, but not the refs. NOT. :irked: :saywhat:

Oh and...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25451733/nfl-vp-of-officiating-wild-martavis-bryant-td-vs-bengals-wasnt-a-catch

Side note...not a fan of of the OT rules. Each team should be given a chance to score. #CP3dislike #cointossgate :irked: :saywhat:

Insomniac
01-17-16, 12:56 PM
Dropped his head. Period. It's called targeting. Got Bosa ejected from the Fiesta Bowl for a lesser hit.

Helmet-to-helmet. **** Blandino and Pereira. Period. Idiots. :flaming:

Targeting is purely a college thing.

Insomniac
01-17-16, 01:02 PM

On the catch, Blandino said he didn't think it was a catch but there's no video evidence to confirm that. That was a call that was staying the way it was called on field.

What I don't get is the Amendola hit was a penalty yesterday and the Shazier one wasn't.

dando
01-17-16, 01:20 PM
What I don't get is the Amendola hit was a penalty yesterday and the Shazier one wasn't.

Complete and utter BS about Shazier. No flag, no fine. :saywhat: :irked: Especially since the teams were warned before the game. Grumbles like an old man returning soup to a deli...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u8KUgUqprw

;)

nrc
01-17-16, 05:22 PM
On the catch, Blandino said he didn't think it was a catch but there's no video evidence to confirm that. That was a call that was staying the way it was called on field.

Honestly, I think the officials have been so homed in on the "defenseless receiver" rule that they flat forgot the other rule in the Bengals game. Just like on TV it was, "Ah ha! he became a runner so it's no foul." and forgot the crown of the helmet rule entirely.

Once they saw that they blew that call all the officials were made aware of it again.

nrc
01-17-16, 09:05 PM
Thank you, Denver.

dando
01-17-16, 11:01 PM
Thank you, Denver.

Now, now...WB might think we like him. ;) :gomer:

RaceGrrl
01-18-16, 12:51 AM
Thank you, Denver.

SteveH
01-18-16, 12:54 AM