PDA

View Full Version : NFL Football thread '16

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Insomniac
01-17-17, 11:10 AM
I recall seeing two or three Packers receivers with jerseys pulled off shoulder pads by holding - with no calls. There was some interesting officiating last weekend.

I know Mike Periera rants about this on FOX, but using All-Star crews in the playoffs instead of crews that know each other from the season is spectacularly dumb. It's like they've never watched an All-Star game from any sport.

The NFL keeps going back and forth on this stuff too, which makes it even more crazy. The grading of the crews as a whole must have a wide degree of variability versus individual grades. Or the NFLRA has negotiated it this way.

Gnam
01-17-17, 12:43 PM
I recall seeing two or three Packers receivers with jerseys pulled off shoulder pads by holding - with no calls. There was some interesting officiating last weekend.

I know Mike Periera rants about this on FOX, but using All-Star crews in the playoffs instead of crews that know each other from the season is spectacularly dumb. It's like they've never watched an All-Star game from any sport.
I saw a lot of neck tackles. The defender would wrap his arms around the ball carrier's head and try to twist it off. Not illegal, but it looks worse than helmet to helmet.

dando
01-18-17, 02:33 AM
I expected Shanahan. In fact I was stunned when they didn't pick him. So I hope Elway's spidey senses are correct once more. The OC hire of McCoy with Bill Musgrave as QB coach are outstanding hires.

Looks like Shanny will be shuffling off to SF. Dicey taking a job with a team and management in disarray and no GM. :saywhat:

Gnam
01-18-17, 01:40 PM
Looks like Shanny will be shuffling off to SF. Dicey taking a job with a team and management in disarray and no GM. :saywhat:
It's a no brainer decision for Shanahan. The expectations are very low and all he has to do is win 3 games to improve over last season.
He gets paid, he gets to be a head coach, and he gets to walk away at the end with none of the blame. win-win-win.

The 49ers do everything wrong. Sad.

nrc
01-18-17, 02:08 PM
Who beyond Brady (who gets the QB calls treatment) are protected on the Patriots? I'm honestly asking.

Brady gets Brady treatment, which is a whole different level. I don't see many Patriots games outside the play-offs so for the rest I don't know if it's actual penalties or just the biggest crybaby fans in the country. They're in for a treat when the Steelers O-line (leading the league in tackles) and their head-hunting defense comes to down.

Insomniac
01-18-17, 02:18 PM
It's a no brainer decision for Shanahan. The expectations are very low and all he has to do is win 3 games to improve over last season.
He gets paid, he gets to be a head coach, and he gets to walk away at the end with none of the blame. win-win-win.

The 49ers do everything wrong. Sad.

I think it's a job you want to take. The disaster and dysfunction is now well known. There are going to be assurances made and with Shanahan as the only candidate left, he has the leverage to ensure that he has every chance to succeed. Plus the 49ers are rolling over nearly $40M in cap space.

Insomniac
01-18-17, 02:24 PM
Brady gets Brady treatment, which is a whole different level. I don't see many Patriots games outside the play-offs so for the rest I don't know if it's actual penalties or just the biggest crybaby fans in the country. They're in for a treat when the Steelers O-line (leading the league in tackles) and their head-hunting defense comes to down.

The same treatment as Manning. :) Not sure how fans equate to the Pats offense getting penalties (as a slight aside, interesting article (https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-coaches-yell-at-refs-because-it-freakin-works/) on penalties called depending on the side of the field from 538) but every team you hate has cry baby fans so that's all balanced out. The Pats know what's coming from the Steelers. They played earlier this season (without Roethlisberger) and kept Bell in check.

WickerBill
01-18-17, 03:26 PM
The same treatment as Manning. :)

The one that doesn't play in the league anymore, or the one that frequently gets the crap kicked out of him without flags?

There's no question that Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and (for some reason) Rivers get calls that nobody else gets. But I don't see that holding true for the rest of the Patriots, and I unfortunately watch them a lot.

Insomniac
01-18-17, 04:25 PM
The one that doesn't play in the league anymore, or the one that frequently gets the crap kicked out of him without flags?

There's no question that Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and (for some reason) Rivers get calls that nobody else gets. But I don't see that holding true for the rest of the Patriots, and I unfortunately watch them a lot.

The former. Little bro hasn't cracked that one, I wish he did in 2007 and they blew the helmet catch play dead/in the grasp. :D

I'd say that it works against Gronk too with all the OPI calls he gets.

stroker
01-18-17, 09:05 PM
So let's play a version of "Where's Romo?" I'm thinking his best bet is the Cardinals.

Gnam
01-18-17, 09:08 PM
So let's play a version of "Where's Romo?" I'm thinking his best bet is the Cardinals.
Just stay in Dallas as the backup. It's a much easier road to the Super Bowl.

Insomniac
01-19-17, 10:40 AM

Broncos.

stroker
01-19-17, 03:32 PM
Broncos.

Supposedly Denver's not interested. Romo says he doesn't want to ride the bench so I don't think he's staying in Dallas. Can't see him in a cold weather city (Cleveland, Buffalo) so it looks to me like the Cardinals are the best candidate as a potential playoff team/organization and the best weather option...

Insomniac
01-19-17, 03:57 PM
Supposedly Denver's not interested. Romo says he doesn't want to ride the bench so I don't think he's staying in Dallas. Can't see him in a cold weather city (Cleveland, Buffalo) so it looks to me like the Cardinals are the best candidate as a potential playoff team/organization and the best weather option...

Why are the Cardinals moving on from Palmer? If Dallas cuts him and I'm Washington, I'm definitely thinking about letting Cousins walk and signing Romo. Maybe Jacksonville. Bortles isn't even a 60% passer and the AFC South is weak.

Gnam
01-19-17, 04:26 PM
Romo could go to the Rams. Goff needs a break. Although, they did get beat by the 49ers twice. :laugh:

He's 36. Stay in Dallas, backup Shepard, stay healthy, collect money and Super Bowl rings. How hard is that?
He can always bolt later if a better position opens up on another team.

dando
01-19-17, 05:42 PM
Why are the Cardinals moving on from Palmer?
For one he's done, 38 next season and an injury magnet.

stroker
01-19-17, 10:47 PM

Yeah, I think Romo wants a ring. Seems to me like the Cardinals are the team with the most consistent winning history and the talent on hand to get him there. I could easily see Jerry Jones trading him for a decent draft pick in anticipation of free agent leakage of the current team...

Insomniac
01-20-17, 10:25 AM

And Romo isn't an injury magnet? You can't even blame the o-line.

dando
01-20-17, 11:43 AM
And Romo isn't an injury magnet? You can't even blame the o-line.

Not disputing that, nor did I suggest AZ as a landing spot for Romo. Just noting that CP is as brittle as they come, and the Cards are likely due for an overhaul/rebuild soon. I just don't see the love for CP. :shrug:

Insomniac
01-20-17, 01:21 PM
Not disputing that, nor did I suggest AZ as a landing spot for Romo. Just noting that CP is as brittle as they come, and the Cards are likely due for an overhaul/rebuild soon. I just don't see the love for CP. :shrug:

I think the problem is that it's such a tough position that you either jave a future HOF'er, a guy who can get the job done or need a QB. Palmer is getting the job done (basically he's not why they're losing). So not so much love, but is Romo really going to make a big enough difference?

nrc
01-20-17, 02:02 PM
Maybe Mike Brown will bring Carson back to Cincinnati for a day so he can retire a Bengal. :gomer:

dando
01-20-17, 03:48 PM
I think the problem is that it's such a tough position that you either jave a future HOF'er, a guy who can get the job done or need a QB. Palmer is getting the job done (basically he's not why they're losing). So not so much love, but is Romo really going to make a big enough difference?

Again, I didn't espouse Romo to the Cards as a silver bullet. Just that CP is going to go downhill FAST. He plays in a division with the Lambs and 93rs. Kinda like the tripe I hear about the Pats D being the #1 overall scores against when they play in a crap division and easiest overall schedule in the league. Go figger. :\

Insomniac
01-20-17, 05:26 PM
Again, I didn't espouse Romo to the Cards as a silver bullet. Just that CP is going to go downhill FAST. He plays in a division with the Lambs and 93rs. Kinda like the tripe I hear about the Pats D being the #1 overall scores against when they play in a crap division and easiest overall schedule in the league. Go figger. :\

I mean, it's an empirical fact that the Patriots are #1 in scoring defense. You may have different criteria for what the #1 defense is, but that data is indisputable. :P

dando
01-20-17, 05:51 PM
I mean, it's an empirical fact that the Patriots are #1 in scoring defense. You may have different criteria for what the #1 defense is, but that data is indisputable. :P

As Samuel Langhorne Clemens once stated...there are lies, damn lies and The Pats. :gomer: :D

And, I stated SCORING D....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/position/defense/seasontype/2

NOT overall D....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netTotalYards/position/defense/seasontype/2

:p

stroker
01-20-17, 09:11 PM
As much as I want the Packers to win, I just don't see them doing it without Jordy and both Allison and Adams hobbled... I think they're going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat in the run game with Montgomery and Michael. Then again, McCarthy has an ability to make chicken salad out of chicken s&%t...

dando
01-20-17, 10:00 PM
As much as I want the Packers to win, I just don't see them doing it without Jordy and both Allison and Adams hobbled... I think they're going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat in the run game with Montgomery and Michael. Then again, McCarthy has an ability to make chicken salad out of chicken s&%t...

IMHO, it comes down to Julio and Jordy...which injury is worse than the other? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_RKCP9XvzQ

:gomer: ;)

stroker
01-21-17, 11:04 AM
Jordy's done for the year. They just aren't saying so.

Then again, I don't think Abbrederis is playing for anyone. They could prolly sign him back on if necessary.

Insomniac
01-21-17, 12:26 PM
As Samuel Langhorne Clemens once stated...there are lies, damn lies and The Pats. :gomer: :D

And, I stated SCORING D....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/position/defense/seasontype/2

NOT overall D....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netTotalYards/position/defense/seasontype/2

Then I agree, anyone who said they had the #1 overall defense statistically is wrong. :)

Insomniac
01-21-17, 12:30 PM

Dez was lighting up the GB defense. Matt Ryan will be using Julio even more and if they try and take Julio away, he has way too many other options. I think Atlanta wins because their defense is better.

dando
01-21-17, 02:28 PM
Jordy's done for the year. They just aren't saying so.

Then again, I don't think Abbrederis is playing for anyone. They could prolly sign him back on if necessary.

Sweep the toe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kr24G8jQpM

:gomer:

Insomniac
01-21-17, 05:07 PM
Ryan Grigson fired by the Colts. Besides drafting Luck, was his greatest accomplishment getting Brady suspended 4 games and 2 draft picks taken away from the Patriots? :gomer:

WickerBill
01-21-17, 10:10 PM
Irsay drafted Luck. Grigson, it is told, tried to talk him off that position to take Griffin.

Gnam
01-21-17, 11:01 PM
He sounds perfect for the 49ers.

dando
01-22-17, 09:30 AM
Deflate this...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18530485/police-arrest-man-pulling-false-alarm-pittsburgh-steelers-hotel

Inso up to his old tricks. :gomer: ;)

Insomniac
01-22-17, 01:48 PM
Irsay drafted Luck. Grigson, it is told, tried to talk him off that position to take Griffin.

Geez, how'd he last even this long then?

Insomniac
01-22-17, 01:51 PM
Deflate this...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18530485/police-arrest-man-pulling-false-alarm-pittsburgh-steelers-hotel

Come on, I wouldn't get caught. :D

WickerBill
01-22-17, 01:52 PM
Pat McAfee didn't mince words on Twitter about how happy he is to see Grigson go. And several Colts agreed.

dando
01-22-17, 05:02 PM
Game. Over. Nap time. :\

stroker
01-22-17, 08:04 PM
So much for that. Good effort for the year, Packers.

nrc
01-23-17, 12:10 AM
Deflate this...

That guy is going to be a few hundred bucks lighter but he's probably getting some new kicks and autographed gear out of it. :gomer:

Insomniac
01-23-17, 10:09 AM
I'm sure it's tiresome with the Patriots, but it's been a great run thus far. Brady/Belichick have brought the franchise into the elite teams in NFL history after being long suffering for so long. It has been remarkable to be in so many AFC championships and I'm going to enjoy every bit of it while it lasts.

dando
01-23-17, 10:25 AM
I'm sure it's tiresome with the Patriots, but it's been a great run thus far. Brady/Bellyache have brought the franchise into the elite teams in NFL history after being long suffering for so long. It has been remarkable to be in so many AFC championships and I'm going to enjoy every bit of it while it lasts.

Ya git dat ressie for the Dirty Birds' hotel yet? :gomer: :p

EDIT: 1985 Bears. :p

nrc
01-23-17, 12:59 PM
I'm sure it's tiresome with the Patriots, but it's been a great run thus far. Brady/Belichick have brought the franchise into the elite teams in NFL history after being long suffering for so long. It has been remarkable to be in so many AFC championships and I'm going to enjoy every bit of it while it lasts.

No question that Brady and Belichick are among the best of all time. I don't think we'll know who made who unless Belichick sticks around for a few years after Brady.

Insomniac
01-23-17, 01:10 PM
Ya git dat ressie for the Dirty Birds' hotel yet? :gomer: :p

EDIT: 1985 Bears. :p

We all know there won't be a defense anything like that from Atlanta. :D Be nice to go to the game, but I'm so practical/analytical that I couldn't plunk down that kind of cash on the chance they lose. I do enter the SB ticket raffle (to purchase tickets) every year (and never win).

Insomniac
01-23-17, 01:18 PM
No question that Brady and Belichick are among the best of all time. I don't think we'll know who made who unless Belichick sticks around for a few years after Brady.

I think it really is a team game. Brady clearly has the talent, but the NFL is so crazy he could've never played if a different team drafted him and he had a rough start to his career. Belichick's knowledge and coaching of the game have been on showcase before he was the HC. Elite QBs make winning much, much easier. Winning in 2001 was more about coaching/team than Brady. But for Belichick, he went 5-11, 11-5 and 9-7 his first 3 years in NE. Winning the Super Bowl maybe saved his career. 2001, 11-5 was good enough for a bye and #2 seed. Pete Carrol was fired after 3 seasons, 10-6, 9-7 and 8-8 with 2 playoff appearances (1-2 record). Kraft may've been tempted to blow it all up again. But given the time now to have seen them both, I think they could've won without the other, but being together gets you this crazy run. So maybe they win without each other, but they win way more together.

WickerBill
01-23-17, 01:47 PM
I think Belichick made Brady. He made something great, though.

My opinion on this is based on Cassell and Garapolo. You'll never convince me they didn't throw the first Bills game this year so they wouldn't look too good without Brady. 17-0 at home? Yeah... *right*.

:)

Insomniac
01-23-17, 02:50 PM
I think Belichick made Brady. He made something great, though.

My opinion on this is based on Cassell and Garapolo. You'll never convince me they didn't throw the first Bills game this year so they wouldn't look too good without Brady. 17-0 at home? Yeah... *right*.

:)

Just FYI, Brissett had a pretty bad thumb injury from the week before and being the only QB available he played. Right after he had thumb surgery and was put on IR. Cassell has had a so-so career. Started for a while, now a backup. But just going through the NE QB system doesn't make a player a good QB. Brady is a case of decent talent working real hard to become great.

You're right that coaching improves the QB. So what would've happened to Peyton Manning if the Browns drafted him (if they existed)? You know, assuming Archie didn't declare he wouldn't play there? Was there any chance Peyton busted out in the NFL? I think it could've happened to Brady, but is that simply because of his draft status. They get 1 chance, top picks would get a couple?

dando
01-23-17, 03:01 PM
Apparently nrc was in kahoots with Tez...

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/1/22/14352468/vontaze-burfict-jokingly-takes-credit-for-pulling-fire-alarm-at-steelers-hotel

:gomer: ;)

Gnam
01-23-17, 04:07 PM
Shanahan should NOT accept the 49ers' head coach position. I don't care what the owners promise him, they'll sandbag him at every turn. It is never their fault. Stay in Atlanta, win Super Bowls, and take a better job offer later.

Tom Cable is the coach the 49ers deserve. Inept, ineffective, and reckless.
Plus, there's a chance he'll punch Jed York in the face. :thumbup:

dando
01-23-17, 06:29 PM
Shanahan should NOT accept the 49ers' head coach position. I don't care what the owners promise him, they'll sandbag him at every turn. It is never their fault. Stay in Atlanta, win Super Bowls, and take a better job offer later.

Tom Cable is the coach the 49ers deserve. Inept, ineffective, and reckless.
Plus, there's a chance he'll punch Jed York in the face. :thumbup:

I hereby nominate Gnam for HC/sacrificial 9ers lamb. :gomer: As I posted previously...DO NOT take the HC job w/o a GM in place. That's like walking through a mine field blindfolded. :irked: :\

Gnam
01-23-17, 06:44 PM
I would be a terrible head coach, which makes me perfect for the job. :tony:

dando
01-23-17, 07:03 PM
I would be a terrible head coach, which makes me perfect for the job. :tony:

That's Turrible #BarlesCharkley and hire Sexy Rexy and bro as assistants. :gomer: :p

WickerBill
01-23-17, 09:39 PM
You've made my point Insomniac. Cassell was average elsewhere. He was fantastic in Belichick's system, especially considering the circumstances.

Don't get me wrong. Like I said, Brady is great. I think Belichick could have made a few others into SB winners too.

dando
01-24-17, 07:52 AM
Don't blame me...it was nrc's night to watch Pacman...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/01/23/video-adam-jones-tells-cop-hope-you-die/96969964/

:\

Trade his ass to the Browns for a pack of gum....used even. :irked:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18540935/bengals-cornerback-adam-jones-verbally-assaults-police-officer-video

:shakehead:

Insomniac
01-24-17, 10:21 AM
You've made my point Insomniac. Cassell was average elsewhere. He was fantastic in Belichick's system, especially considering the circumstances.

Don't get me wrong. Like I said, Brady is great. I think Belichick could have made a few others into SB winners too.

Brady went 16-0 and Cassell went 11-5 with essentially the same team. That happened to be a year where 11-5 wasn't good enough to secure a playoff spot. He got better as the season went on, but there was never a game where you thought they were as dominant as in 2007. I think we're on the same page with the intertwined nature of this. They have both proven to be great, but I think if they had separated from each other they would both continue to succeed. However, I think as hard as it is to find a QB, Brady would have success first.

Gnam
01-24-17, 01:01 PM
Don't blame me...it was nrc's night to watch Pacman...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/01/23/video-adam-jones-tells-cop-hope-you-die/96969964/

Trade his ass to the Browns for a pack of gum....used even. :irked:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18540935/bengals-cornerback-adam-jones-verbally-assaults-police-officer-video

:shakehead:
I thought the NFL drilled it into the players' heads that anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of public opinion. Plus, isn't he a little old to be acting like a fool?

nrc
01-24-17, 03:11 PM
I thought the NFL drilled it into the players' heads that anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of public opinion. Plus, isn't he a little old to be acting like a fool?

Dude has serious anger management issues that keep hurting the team on and off the field. I hate to think what's going to happen once he doesn't have the NFL regiment to keep him in line.

Here's what I don't get - "Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters has said the case against Jones is on hold until he finds out what kind of discipline, if any, the NFL imposes."

Either it's a crime worth charging and prosecuting or not. "We're going to charge you and let the NFL convict you." is BS.

dando
01-24-17, 03:12 PM

See Football, Johnny. :shakehead: :saywhat: :\ Sometimes rectal extraction involves a head. :irked:

WickerBill
01-24-17, 05:05 PM
I thought Brady got hurt in 2006, not 2008, so I was thinking they added Moss and Welker the year after Cassell. My bad.

Gnam
01-24-17, 05:24 PM
Dude has serious anger management issues that keep hurting the team on and off the field. I hate to think what's going to happen once he doesn't have the NFL regiment to keep him in line.

Here's what I don't get - "Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters has said the case against Jones is on hold until he finds out what kind of discipline, if any, the NFL imposes."

Either it's a crime worth charging and prosecuting or not. "We're going to charge you and let the NFL convict you." is BS.
It's a Catch 22 situation because the NFL will say they can't comment on an on-going investigation.

Insomniac
01-24-17, 05:32 PM

Perhaps it's a recognition of the uniqueness of the NFL punishing its players on top of the justice system? But unless the expected outcome is a fine, not sure how they could be at all equivalent or matter.

Insomniac
01-24-17, 05:33 PM
I thought Brady got hurt in 2006, not 2008, so I was thinking they added Moss and Welker the year after Cassell. My bad.

Yup, Brady was robbed of another season with that team.

dando
01-25-17, 02:22 AM
And Gnam rejoices....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18546570/san-francisco-49ers-freeze-season-ticket-prices-2018

How 'bout refunding $$$$ for fraud on the field? This train wreck is like the worst of the Bingles during the David Shula years. :yuck: Race to the worst...9ers, Browns, Jets, Lambs? IMHO, the Jags do show some signs of life. Discuss.

Gnam
01-25-17, 01:10 PM
And Gnam rejoices....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18546570/san-francisco-49ers-freeze-season-ticket-prices-2018

How 'bout refunding $$$$ for fraud on the field? This train wreck is like the worst of the Bingles during the David Shula years. :yuck: Race to the worst...9ers, Browns, Jets, Lambs? IMHO, the Jags do show some signs of life. Discuss.
The quote about there being 59,000 fans at the last game is misleading. They count season tickets toward "attendance" whether anyone is actually sitting in the seat or not. The majority of fans at that game were Seahawks fans who bought cheap tickets from disgusted 49ers fans.

The reason the 49ers didn't raise ticket prices is because they are terrified of TV blackouts. If the season ticket holders fail to renew for 2017, then they can't be counted toward "attendance" and the games won't be considered sellouts. That would trigger a local TV blackout. [Raiders!]

Up until now the season ticket holders were stuck. If they failed to renew, they would forfeit their personal seat license, which is worth thousands of dollars. However, now that the 49ers have proven they are committed to failure at any cost, the season ticket holders are writing the PSLs off as sunk costs and walking away in droves.

Insomniac
01-25-17, 01:21 PM
The quote about there being 59,000 fans at the last game is misleading. They count season tickets toward "attendance" whether anyone is actually sitting in the seat or not. The majority of fans at that game were Seahawks fans who bought cheap tickets from disgusted 49ers fans.

The reason the 49ers didn't raise ticket prices is because they are terrified of TV blackouts. If the season ticket holders fail to renew for 2017, then they can't be counted toward "attendance" and the games won't be considered sellouts. That would trigger a local TV blackout. [Raiders!]

Up until now the season ticket holders were stuck. If they failed to renew, they would forfeit their personal seat license, which is worth thousands of dollars. However, now that the 49ers have proven they are committed to failure at any cost, the season ticket holders are writing the PSLs off as sunk costs and walking away in droves.

The blackout rules have been suspended the last 2 years: http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/28/nfl-continues-suspension-tv-blackout-rule

I think mostly because the teams were basically forced to buy the remaining tickets to avoid it.

dando
01-25-17, 02:22 PM
The blackout rules have been suspended the last 2 years: http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/28/nfl-continues-suspension-tv-blackout-rule

I think mostly because the teams were basically forced to buy the remaining tickets to avoid it.

I'm thinking not...I tried to tune into the Stealers/Iggles pre-season game this past summer. Blacked out for a Stealers highlight show on NFLN. Note that I live > 3 hours from Pburgh. Pre-season?!? :saywhat: And I was trying to unwind with an iced tea after gardening in 90 degree heat. :irked: :shakehead:

Insomniac
01-25-17, 04:00 PM
I'm thinking not...I tried to tune into the Stealers/Iggles pre-season game this past summer. Blacked out for a Stealers highlight show on NFLN. Note that I live > 3 hours from Pburgh. Pre-season?!? :saywhat: And I was trying to unwind with an iced tea after gardening in 90 degree heat. :irked: :shakehead:

That may be a different blackout rule. If a game is on local TV it is blacked out on cable. This rule is if the game isn't sold out, it is not shown on local TV to get people to buy tickets if they want to see the game.

Gnam
01-25-17, 04:18 PM

Oh. Well that's good. One less thing to worry about.

dando
01-25-17, 04:36 PM
That may be a different blackout rule. If a game is on local TV it is blacked out on cable. This rule is if the game isn't sold out, it is not shown on local TV to get people to buy tickets if they want to see the game.

The game was only on NFLN....and pre frigging season. Srsly? I'm as close to Pburgh than I am to Mars. Not that I really gave a crap, but just pointing out the stupidity of blackout rules. Same applies to MLB and Pirates games. Just plain. Silly. :\

Insomniac
01-25-17, 06:22 PM
The game was only on NFLN....and pre frigging season. Srsly? I'm as close to Pburgh than I am to Mars. Not that I really gave a crap, but just pointing out the stupidity of blackout rules. Same applies to MLB and Pirates games. Just plain. Silly. :\

I dunno, maybe something pre-season specifc, just know that local TV blackouts due to the game not selling out are gone. Now TV viewers can suffer if they go or not. :D

dando
01-25-17, 07:01 PM
I dunno, maybe something pre-season specifc, just know that local TV blackouts due to the game not selling out are gone. Now TV viewers can suffer if they go or not. :D

Nope. That was just an example for the NFL. Pirates and MLB regular season are the same (blacked out on MLB), as I try to get a Dodgers fix when they visit the right coast. If I gave a hoot about the Pens/NHL, I assume it's the same, but we get the CBJ on FSN, so it's a non-issue. Local channels carry the Bengals and Clowns pre-season games, so no issue there, but blacking out a pre-season game over 3 hours away?!? C'mon man.... :shakehead: :thumbdown:

TKGAngel
01-26-17, 09:20 AM
They count season tickets toward "attendance" whether anyone is actually sitting in the seat or not.

All sports do that. That's how the Sabres had over 17k fans at the arena every night during their Tank season.

Or the teams were sick of having to find local businesses/philanthropists to buy the tickets (even though those tickets were then donated to charity).

dando
01-26-17, 09:32 AM
All sports do that. That's how the Sabres had over 17k fans at the arena every night during their Tank season.

Or the teams were sick of having to find local businesses/philanthropists to buy the tickets (even though those tickets were then donated to charity).

Or like the ACC Championship Game moved to Orlando from Charlotte due to the NC LBTG bathroom law. Tickets were given to Disney employees to put fannies in the seats. :\

dando
01-26-17, 12:16 PM
nrc got what he wanted for Xmas....I think. :saywhat:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1h1 hour ago

Bengals re-signed K Randy Bullock.

nrc
01-26-17, 01:40 PM
nrc got what he wanted for Xmas....I think. :saywhat:

Meh. He still missed a makeable field goal. I hope they'll bring someone in who can seriously compete with him and really put their feet to the fire.

dando
01-26-17, 02:11 PM
Meh. He still missed a makeable field goal. I hope they'll bring someone in who can seriously compete with him and really put their feet to the fire.

I really liked the kid they had in camp during pre-season, and I thought Nuge's gays were numbered then. I also thought the Stealers would grab him after the Bengals released him since their kicking game was a mess. Hopefully they don't draft Durbin from tOSU. :gomer: :saywhat:

dando
01-28-17, 09:46 AM
Srsly?!? :saywhat: :shakehead: :irked:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/27/bengals-undecided-on-what-to-do-with-adam-jones/

stroker
01-28-17, 09:33 PM
Srsly?!? :saywhat: :shakehead: :irked:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/27/bengals-undecided-on-what-to-do-with-adam-jones/

nj22 says:
Jan 27, 2017 2:01 PM
Only the Bungles would be undecided. Marvin Lewis is a warden not a coach.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

nrc
01-29-17, 03:34 PM
nj22 says:
Jan 27, 2017 2:01 PM
Only the Bungles would be undecided. Marvin Lewis is a warden not a coach.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jones should be released but let's not start this again. The Bengals aren't even in the top third of the league for arrests over the last five years.

dando
01-30-17, 07:24 AM
Lynched?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18581720/san-francisco-49ers-name-john-lynch-general-manager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S94Bh3Qez9o

dando
01-30-17, 07:26 AM
Jones should be released but let's not start this again. The Bengals aren't even in the top third of the league for arrests over the last five years.

I'm just sad they didn't dump his ass right off the bat...talk about short leashes. :\ :shakehead:

Insomniac
01-30-17, 02:58 PM
So Shanahan had all the leverage and he decided John Lynch was his guy? Yikes.

dando
01-30-17, 03:22 PM
So Shanahan had all the leverage and he decided John Lynch was his guy? Yikes.

Better than Millen. :gomer: ;)

Gnam
01-30-17, 03:35 PM
Lynched?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18581720/san-francisco-49ers-name-john-lynch-general-manager

This is the absolute right call. Jed York has made another great decision. He doesn't get the credit he deserves for holding this team together and taking all the abuse from the fans and the media. The 49ers are going to have a great year. Maybe not next year, or the year after, but soon and then it will be a never ending string of successes. Everything's gonna be great.

dando
01-30-17, 03:47 PM
This is the absolute right call. Jed York has made another great decision. He doesn't get the credit he deserves for holding this team together and taking all the abuse from the fans and the media. The 49ers are going to have a great year. Maybe not next year, or the year after, but soon and then it will be a never ending string of successes. Everything's gonna be great.

You partaking or just drinking Mr. Jones' Kool Aid? ;)

Gnam
01-30-17, 03:58 PM
;)

https://s23.postimg.org/qnjgi21zf/63378538.jpg

dando
01-30-17, 04:15 PM
Now you've gone and done it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPr7cYLq3dk

:D

Insomniac
01-30-17, 04:54 PM
New game! Brainwashed or finally broken?

dando
01-30-17, 05:20 PM
Looks like Inso is banned...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18587291/poll-shows-new-england-patriots-most-disliked-team-nfl

;)

Insomniac
01-30-17, 06:58 PM
Looks like Inso is banned...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18587291/poll-shows-new-england-patriots-most-disliked-team-nfl

;)

Bring the hate!

But, as long as the results show:

Tom Brady: 46%/39% (Favorable/Unfavorable)
Bill Belichick: 40%/34%
Roger Goodell: 26%/42%

I'll take it.

dando
01-30-17, 07:10 PM
Bring the hate!

But, as long as the results show:

Tom Brady: 46%/39% (Favorable/Unfavorable)
Bill Belichick: 40%/34%
Roger Goodell: 26%/42%

I'll take it.

Uh huh....yer pretty darn close to Houston. Hmmm....fire alarms are on lock down in Houston. :gomer: :p ;)

dando
01-30-17, 07:59 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/BengalsManiac/no_patriots_med.png

dando
01-30-17, 11:59 PM
Fly in the ointment...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18588795/casino-mogul-sheldon-adelson-pulls-stadium-deal-oakland-raiders-move-las-vegas

:eek:

EDIT: as the roulette wheel turns...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18590188/oakland-raiders-las-vegas-stadium-deal-doubt-goldman-sachs-re-evaluates-involvement

Maybe they can move to SD instead... :gomer:

Insomniac
02-03-17, 12:39 PM
Super Bowl Predictions?

Pats 34-24

I think the difference is red zone defense. I don't expect the Patriots to give up any big plays, so Atlanta will have to earn every point with drives.

dando
02-03-17, 12:53 PM
Super Bowl Predictions?

Pats 34-24

I think the difference is red zone defense. I don't expect the Patriots to give up any big plays, so Atlanta will have to earn every point with drives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsRPKwUQEgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0j-aoF0j1s

Birds 28-24. Birds have more weapons on O opposed to the Stealers. However prediction depends on what the Pats learned from swiping Shanny's backpack. :gomer: :D

Gnam
02-03-17, 01:19 PM
Patriots 24 - Falcons 23

Run heavy Offense from both teams to wear out the defenses and control the clock.

WickerBill
02-03-17, 04:31 PM
May as well use my heart, since my head was wrong a lot this year. Falcons 35-24.

dando
02-03-17, 05:48 PM
May as well use my heart, since my head was wrong a lot this year. Falcons 35-24.

Strong with this one, The Force is. Hmmmmmm. ;) :)

dando
02-03-17, 05:54 PM
Side note...Greeny on M&M announced Wed that nrc's fave CP was up to his old tricks, and pulled his boys out of school and put his house in AZ up for sale. CP (the C stands for Crap) has since denied this, but he is done, IMHO. The Cards have a HUGE (HUUUUGE if you prefer) rebuild that needs to happen. Something like 20+ RFAs and UFAs are due, and Fitz is about done as well. #shedscroctears :gomer: Either way #jackass :shakehead:

nrc
02-03-17, 08:15 PM
Side note...Greeny on M&M announced Wed that nrc's fave CP was up to his old tricks, and pulled his boys out of school and put his house in AZ up for sale. CP (the C stands for Crap) has since denied this, but he is done, IMHO. The Cards have a HUGE (HUUUUGE if you prefer) rebuild that needs to happen. Something like 20+ RFAs and UFAs are due, and Fitz is about done as well. #shedscroctears :gomer: Either way #jackass :shakehead:

Someone should dump trash on his lawn.