PDA

View Full Version : Indy 500 qualifying 2023

opinionated ow
05-20-23, 10:34 PM
Utter disaster for RLL. 30th, 31st, 32nd and 34th. Only Katherine Legge is guaranteed a start under the convoluted new qualifying process. Sting Ray Robb and the three main drivers for RLL fight to stay in the race tomorrow.

McLaren have things sorted so far. They've qualified to run for the top 12 tomorrow with all 4 cars.

pfc_m_drake
05-21-23, 07:30 AM
Believe it or not, they've used this qualifying process for a couple of years now. It's just that it never usuall matters because it's almost always 33 cars going for 33 spots these days.

Agree on Rahal - surprised they're so 'lost' considering the amount of years and data they have on these cars at this point.

nissan gtp
05-22-23, 01:34 PM
With all 4 Rahal cars being slow, it's got to be something fundamental to the team, not to a specific team or car. Hope they get it figured it out and sorted soon.

Go Kat !

TravelGal
05-22-23, 04:40 PM
I'm brokenhearted for Rahal. Incomprehensible.

PFC, are you saying they had that Lane 1 and Lane 2 stuff for several years? Or was that just a joke? I turned it on and heard them describing it and turned it off.

SteveH
05-22-23, 07:33 PM
Legge and Wilson
https://twitter.com/indycar/status/1660722623553376256?s=42&t=FtBbY0VGTU6tkFPNjgS-pg

SteveH
05-22-23, 09:50 PM
Wilson fractured vertebrae, not cleared for the race
https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/1660794286663774208?s=61&t=oFXcsN2wTfApq6UdUB40Qg

opinionated ow
05-23-23, 04:51 AM

PFC, are you saying they had that Lane 1 and Lane 2 stuff for several years? Or was that just a joke? I turned it on and heard them describing it and turned it off.

The Lane 1 and 2 thing has been around for quite some time. The Top 12 and then Top 6 (it was 9 last year) run offs for pole are the bit I found convoluted.

SteveH
05-23-23, 10:43 AM
Manufactured excitement

cameraman
05-23-23, 03:26 PM
Seems Rahal will get Wilson's ride.

pfc_m_drake
05-23-23, 05:38 PM

Yep - Lane 1/Lane 2 has been going on forsevera years. As has the last row/pole shootout.
As I said, it hasn't really mattered since there's only been 33 entries. In fact, I think the 3rd starter last year was a provisional...let me check...yep, perhaps ironically, Stefan Wilson didn't set a time last year and was awarded spot 33 provisionally.

stroker
05-26-23, 07:28 AM
I saw some reference to qualifying somewhere and literally realized the 500 as an event hadn't occurred to me at all in the month of May. I had to remind myself the 500 was this weekend.

Thanks, Tony, you fixed it good.

devilmaster
05-28-23, 03:13 PM
that tire -launched-.

hoping for the best.:(

devilmaster
05-28-23, 03:23 PM
https://twitter.com/AndrewKossack/status/1662900354478907392

devilmaster
05-28-23, 03:57 PM
I have never seen an incar video like this....

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/1662904048473845760

RTKar
05-28-23, 04:13 PM
Indy 497.5 to 507.5

It's an approximation.

devilmaster
05-28-23, 04:20 PM
seriously don't install 'overtime'. :irked::rolleyes:

RTKar
05-28-23, 04:36 PM
It should have finished under yellow, the track appeared to be clear for the field to pass through. How they ended it was too contrived.

TravelGal
05-28-23, 04:48 PM
It should have finished under yellow, the track appeared to be clear for the field to pass through. How they ended it was too contrived.

Maybe, but I don't care. I wanted him to win and and screamed so loud and long I probably startled the neighbors.

nissan gtp
05-28-23, 06:02 PM
While the 1-lap ending wasn't ideal, I'm totally happy to see Newgarden win. Good guy, good racer. Sucks for the others but that's the way it goes. And kudos to Foyt racing for snagging Michael Cannon. I've never liked Santino a lot, but the goofball really had a splendid month of May.

SteveH
05-28-23, 06:11 PM
How times have changed. Each car gets about 17 attempts to qualify. And nearly as many red flags to finish under green.

One of these days this will backfire. In a way it did with a full day’s practice after qualifying.

Drive to survive, indeed.

devilmaster
05-28-23, 08:19 PM
https://twitter.com/RichNye13/status/1662966467107618816

TKGAngel
05-28-23, 08:34 PM
I am so glad that flying tire only took out a Chevy Cruze. I started having US 500 flashbacks, especially when the broadcast crew was clearly NOT talking about the tire.

I was hardcore rooting for Rossi to win. I've always enjoyed his snarky side, but he seems to be so much more at peace since he left Andretti.

G.
05-28-23, 11:27 PM
While the 1-lap ending wasn't ideal, I'm totally happy to see Newgarden win. Good guy, good racer. Sucks for the others but that's the way it goes.

I was totally rooting for the Newfiedog, but they should have finished under yellow. Full. Stop.

One lap for what? The Captain??

:shakehead:

SteveH
05-29-23, 10:40 AM
https://www.autoracing1.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/indycar/indy/raceday/crossline2.jpg

Just before the checkers.

nissan gtp
05-29-23, 11:51 AM
Is that dashed line on the track? (You'd think I would know that after watching all day yesterday).

Easy, have to stay above or get a penalty (yeah, have to specify what "above" means, guess I've been watching F1 too long).

TravelGal
05-29-23, 05:01 PM
How times have changed. Each car gets about 17 attempts to qualify. And nearly as many red flags to finish under green.

One of these days this will backfire. In a way it did with a full day’s practice after qualifying.

Drive to survive, indeed.

I was totally rooting for the Newfiedog, but they should have finished under yellow. Full. Stop.

One lap for what? The Captain??

:shakehead:

SteveH, it seems to me that in olden days they would have twirled around in deadly slow procession under yellow from the moment Rosenqvist spun out with 14 to go. That would have made OWard the winner, which might have been closer to the truth. What I didn't get was they go red. Then they change to yellow and tool around (pun intended) for 5 laps before going green with 8 to go when Oward finally puts the pedal to the metal. They only waved off the lap with 9 to go so why were 14,13, 12, 11, 10, under yellow AFTER the red but before restart?

G, it's the fans. As TK (Tony, not Kendall) has said many times, the biggest complaint about Indy is ending under yellow. Was it wrong? None of the other drivers had a problem with it, even Ferrucci, who was driving to save his career and maybe could have won, said it was right thing to do.

It just sounds like sour grapes to me. We have Ericsson jumping the draft on restart lap 5 to go to edge Newgarden literally at the line as the *next* red comes out. On restart lap 1 to go he does the same thing but can't hold on because, guess what? It's actually a full lap. Read: Newgarden was better. More experienced, quicker, both, I dunno, but he didn't seem to have a problem and neither did anyone else. As he said, "You always want to be second going into the last lap."

SteveH
05-29-23, 06:28 PM
In the past I don’t ever recall a cold tire restart, which was the last one. That seems extremely risky. Good thing it was sunny and not any cooler.

SteveH
05-29-23, 09:52 PM
Is that dashed line on the track? (You'd think I would know that after watching all day yesterday).

Easy, have to stay above or get a penalty (yeah, have to specify what "above" means, guess I've been watching F1 too long).

Yes, it’s on the track. It wasn’t in some past years. Not sure when it first appeared.

https://twitter.com/indycaronnbc/status/1662916519456645120?s=61&t=oFXcsN2wTfApq6UdUB40Qg

Looks like Ericsson did essentially the same coming out of T2.

Elmo T
05-30-23, 06:38 AM
Is that dashed line on the track?

Kind of sort of maybe...

In the closing moments, Newgarden swerved into the pit entry lane to deny Ericsson his slipstream, but he says until IndyCar enforces a rule that says otherwise, drivers will continue to do it.

"I was about driving through pitlane," he quipped. "It was legal is all I'm going to say.

"They were very clear that they are not enforcing that line, and they didn't enforce it last year.

"They said they're not enforcing it again, and I'm coming to the checkered flag and I'm going to do everything I can to win this race, and I had to be as aggressive as possible, because the tow effect to just the first car was even more difficult than last year."

https://us.motorsport.com/indycar/news/josef-newgarden-indy-500-red-flag-good-finish/10475282/