PDA

View Full Version : Seventhgear seems to be no more (topic changed by WB)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Wabbit
02-13-04, 08:37 PM
The only person we are missing now is paper.

paper,,,,where,,,,are,,,,you,,,and,,,,your,,,,comm as,,,,??,,,,,,,

Mike Kellner
02-13-04, 08:50 PM
I miss Franklin more.

mk

A.I.
02-13-04, 09:03 PM
I guess posters had more influence than creators at 7G

SID
02-13-04, 09:27 PM
I miss Franklin more.

mk

You know, if CART HAD adopted that turbo/jet/multple impeller thingy that Ol' Franklin suggested, then they could have told Honda and Toyota to shove off, instead of the other way around

WHOA!!!!!

Sorry everyone.......those acid flashbacks can really take you by surprise!

SID

PopOffValve
02-13-04, 09:41 PM
so is this the forum owned by Laguna?

Turn7
02-13-04, 10:15 PM
This is WickerBill's site.

WickerBill used Laguna as an I.D. when moderating at 7G.

eiregosod
02-13-04, 10:29 PM
This is WickerBill's site.

WickerBill used Laguna as an I.D. when moderating at 7G.

funny how WB doesn't have to go to court to get all the 'real' 7G forum members!

It totally sucks to be a concerned Champcar Fan these days! The buyout didnt go their way, their favourite haunt shuts down !!

Let the good times roll!

ChrisB
02-13-04, 10:34 PM
And before there was 7G, there was ras.indy (usenet) which now has become taken over by a few individuals who just wanna troll constantly, and all the good folks have long since left. I switched from rasi to 7G about 1999. Usenet was good, but it was obvious that web forums would have other advantages, like better moderating, ease of use, and inline images. Life goes on. Hopefully with 7G gone, OC will become THE site for Champcar discussion now. Keep up the good work WB!

cart7
02-13-04, 10:51 PM
That reminds me of the inflatable "sinking Titanic" slide for children that I saw at a road side carnival. The kids were having a blast, I just thought it was macabre.
:laugh: Reminds me of the inflatable Titanic bathtub ship I got my kid when he was little. It came with its own little inflatable iceberg.

Brickman
02-13-04, 11:33 PM
LOL and 6,299 of those post were anti Bush!..lol Since there is no political post here you are right. You will never have that high of a post count. :D BTW Great to see ZE here has anyone seen brickman?

Indeed.

Joined last June, I shushed myself until the creation of OWRS. OffCamber has a tried and true leader and a much repected community. 6,800+ posts at 7G but I won't get anywhere close to that number here, won't attempt it.

Glad to see TravelGal and other respected 7Gers signing up or showing up.

A.I.
02-13-04, 11:37 PM
Really though....you are talking about how great 7G was back in the day and yet you're completely ignoring one of the people who was responsible for it...what gives?

Brickman
02-13-04, 11:44 PM
Really though....you are talking about how great 7G was back in the day and yet you're completely ignoring one of the people who was responsible for it...what gives?

Mark?

Mark did a great job attracting members from SpeedNet to 7th Gear. He recruited well.

Sean O'Gorman
02-13-04, 11:49 PM
Are Mark C's initials A.I.? ;)

A.I.
02-13-04, 11:55 PM
I seriously am beginning to think that I am forgotten....how depressing.

I doubt many of you will ever realise what I did for 7G....even saying that is not my style because I don't like to blow my own horn....

Anyway, I guess I'll drag myself back to the XBOX again

JoeBob
02-13-04, 11:56 PM

Aaron?!?! Is that you???

A.I.
02-13-04, 11:58 PM
yes....yes it is.

They managed to drag my charred remains out of the fire and reanimate me...

Ankf00
02-14-04, 12:08 AM
well I just joined 7g after Laguna was the man so I have no clue what you did :D I can't be blamed :p

WickerBill
02-14-04, 12:21 AM
Aaron, my friend, don't go all martyr on us now. People who were there appreciate the time and effort you put into it, and I think those of us that know how you were relieved of your duties were put off by it.

Over now, yes? You did a fantastic job while you were there, and you're right -- you shouldn't be played down.

WB

A.I.
02-14-04, 12:23 AM
Laguna was THE MAN in the forums....undoutably the site would have died if it wasn't for him. There were an integral few, who without, the site would go downhill....and we all saw what happened.

I don't envy what Laguna did....there was no way in the world I was going to try and monitor the amount of threads and postings that went on at 7G at an hourly basis....he did a phenomonal job in the forums....

I had most everything else covered at that time....

A.I.
02-14-04, 12:25 AM
Well, thanx for putting me back in my place big fellah....I guess there really wasn't anything to be gained from this anyhow.

Audi_A4
02-14-04, 12:41 AM
Aaron stick around and get back into the game!

Kiwifan
02-14-04, 01:55 AM
Lord there's more Aussies here than you can shake a sheep at. ;)

Check your PM Aaron, all's well mate. I suppose I should give you a big Kiwi welcome but you know we are trained not to give you Aussies any praise. :) We do have an Aussie working for us at the Service Station if that helps. He's from Sydney so we'll leave it at that eh Robstar? :)

Rusty.

PopOffValve
02-14-04, 02:19 AM
1. WickerBill was Laguna?! :eek: :eek: :eek: wow, I had absolutely no idea...

2. Aaron I think I remember your articles about an old car and Australia?

3. Did I mention that I felt betrayed by 7G? Did I make that clear? bastards...

C2D
02-14-04, 02:56 AM
2. Aaron I think I remember your articles about an old car and Australia?

Yeah, if I remember correctly that was his "telefonica" car. Sadly I think also it was stolen. I remember something happened to it.

A.I.
02-14-04, 04:36 AM
Hehehe, that's cute, you remember my car!

That thing (Holden Commodore VK 1985) was indeed stolen....and recovered a couple of weeks later.

That reminds me, it's sometime around now that I should be celebrating the anniversary of the death of that car....remember people, ALWAYS check your oil =)

It never was the same after it was stolen, but I managed to finish off the job with a distinct lack of respect for the motor, which eventually blew up.

Turned interesting for a while there as I left the car at a mates workshop. He gave it to some dude I'd never seen before who did it up a bit, then went to drive it home....only for the motor to seize (like DUH!)

Thugs then set upon the poor little thing before torching it to the ground. I never did see it after the cremation...it was better that way. I'll always remember it as the car that I WOULD have driven Memo Gidley and his manager Donny Graves around in had it not been for Tara and her infernal womenfolk...I ask ya, is it ALL Americans who, after being in a country for three hours, believe they know the way around better than the locals?

Anyway...the aforementioned thugs took my plates and so a few weeks later received some not-so-wanted attention from Constable Plodd at the local lockup for driveway drive-offs. Needless to say I was found not guilty :D

Anyway, I believe that I need to get some things off my chest and clear some air. It probably isn't warranted for anyone other than myself, but I believe it will help me - so please bear with me....it will be a long post! I shall start a new thread...

Anteater
02-14-04, 09:02 AM
When I learned via e-mail that 7G was no more (thanks to Rob G, who had my addy), I felt as if my city had been destroyed. :( It was truly a community there, although sometimes it could be like a dysfunctional family arguing at the dinner table. I met so many terrific people through that forum, and I wondered where to go next. My friends are here now, and I am happy to join them. Thank you for giving us a place to go, WB!

And I had just passed the 1000-post mark…

WickerBill
02-14-04, 09:36 AM
Is RobG here? He is welcome; would someone please invite him?

Artemus
02-14-04, 11:07 AM
So, where would one expect to find posts by BigIRLFan these days?

JT265
02-14-04, 11:11 AM
BiF#? Right here, as long as the Chassey is closed at least. :gomer:

Artemus
02-14-04, 11:49 AM
Well, thank goodness for that. I felt a little emptiness in my life when I saw seventhgear was gone.

BTW I was almost exclusively a lurker there for the last few years, so I doubt many of you would know me even under my old handle. I gave up on CART completely after I drove to the TMS debacle. I'm hoping OWRS can win me back now.

pchall
02-14-04, 11:51 AM
Damn, 2000 slices of wit and wisdom lost in cyberville.

Oh well, 7thGear was a great place a few years back, made a lot of friends and quite a few parties but it had gone into the tank of late.

I'm feeling pretty comfortable here at OC. The old line from Brooklands comes to mind:

"The right crowd, and no crowding"

Hey... maybe WB will set up an "old farts" forum just for us! :)

RHR_Fan
02-14-04, 12:44 PM
Aaron, didn't you used to run a Christian Fittipaldi fan site?

~Nicole

Ankf00
02-14-04, 01:22 PM
I ask ya, is it ALL Americans who, after being in a country for three hours, believe they know the way around better than the locals?

Just the wimen...

*runs into nuke bunker* :p

mello
02-14-04, 01:26 PM
Sure will WB but I only have his email addy on my work computer so will have to wait until Monday unless someone else gets him first.

mello
02-14-04, 01:33 PM
When I learned via e-mail that 7G was no more (thanks to Rob G, who had my addy), I felt as if my city had been destroyed. :( It was truly a community there, although sometimes it could be like a dysfunctional family arguing at the dinner table. I met so many terrific people through that forum, and I wondered where to go next. My friends are here now, and I am happy to join them. Thank you for giving us a place to go, WB!

And I had just passed the 1000-post markā€¦

Glad to see you Anteater. We have enjoyed all the times we have seen you at the races and I am sure you will love it here. WB did a fine job.

Fitti Fan
02-14-04, 01:46 PM
Aaron, you've never been forgotten!!! :)

fourrunner
02-14-04, 03:20 PM

WB --- He was in chat the other night ---- I asked him to join --- sure hope he does --- Great Guy!!! :thumbup:

fourrunner
02-14-04, 03:25 PM
Hey... maybe WB will set up an "old farts" forum just for us! :)

Can't here ya, what did you say Sonny ! ;)

Fitti Fan
02-14-04, 03:30 PM
WB --- He was in chat the other night ---- I asked him to join --- sure hope he does --- Great Guy!!! :thumbup:

Yes, I agree. I hope he does join us. He's a great guy!

A.I.
02-14-04, 06:51 PM
Yes, I ran the Christian Fittipaldi Fan Club......well, before the management started one of their own. It was strange because at one time I wrote a race report and included a quite obscure word in it that you'd hardly use anywhere - and the same word turned up at the "official" site in the same report - interesting.....

So, now post CFFC and post 7G I am lost without direction! What do I do now!?

anait
02-14-04, 09:16 PM

Oh, good!! I've missed him like crazy!! :thumbup:

CART License
02-15-04, 04:26 AM
I'm OK now... lost for a few days,and now found my old gear family. that crash thing is just wrong

Jamie
AKA TeamGreen

JohnHKart
02-15-04, 06:30 AM
Sorry if this has been asked before but where is Paper??? After he got banned at 7G I haven't seen him here lately either.

JH

Turn7
02-15-04, 09:22 AM
Paper posts at Crapwagon and Paddocktalk

cart7
02-15-04, 10:14 AM
Here's the latest posted on crash.net:

Bryn Williams
14 Feb 2004
19:00:58

Thanks for your sometimes constructive comments regarding Crash.
Firstly I welcome you all here, secondly if we can develop a Forum that's going to keep all you guys satisfied then we're happy to do that.

Hiwever in the past when we've opened up the Forum to new topics and given our users total freedom it's been abused, that's why we're careful these days due to minors getting online etc, at the end of the day it's down to you our users, behave responsibly and we'll play ball with you, abuse it and you can kiss it goodbye.

As regards SeventhGear.com, we were also fans of SeventhGear and are sad at it's passing, you'll have to contact the guys at SeventhGear to find out why it did cease but I guess the same old story of escalating costs and no hard cash being generated is the bottom line of any business be it online or offline.

If you, our new found visitors and users from SeventhGear.com can suggest additional and constructive developments on the site then we're more than willing to try and accomodate your wishes. However if it's mindless crap you're going to write then we'll treat it with the attention it deserves.

I look forward to hearing your comments in our feedback section and hopefully keeping you guys happy and loyal to Crash.Net in the same way you were to SeventhGear.com!!

Best Wishes.

Bryn Williams.

CEO Crash.Net

Mindless crap need not apply. :rolleyes:

racer2c
02-15-04, 10:20 AM
Here's the latest posted on crash.net:

Bryn Williams
14 Feb 2004
19:00:58

Thanks for your sometimes constructive comments regarding Crash.
Firstly I welcome you all here, secondly if we can develop a Forum that's going to keep all you guys satisfied then we're happy to do that.

Hiwever in the past when we've opened up the Forum to new topics and given our users total freedom it's been abused, that's why we're careful these days due to minors getting online etc, at the end of the day it's down to you our users, behave responsibly and we'll play ball with you, abuse it and you can kiss it goodbye.

As regards SeventhGear.com, we were also fans of SeventhGear and are sad at it's passing, you'll have to contact the guys at SeventhGear to find out why it did cease but I guess the same old story of escalating costs and no hard cash being generated is the bottom line of any business be it online or offline.

If you, our new found visitors and users from SeventhGear.com can suggest additional and constructive developments on the site then we're more than willing to try and accomodate your wishes. However if it's mindless crap you're going to write then we'll treat it with the attention it deserves.

I look forward to hearing your comments in our feedback section and hopefully keeping you guys happy and loyal to Crash.Net in the same way you were to SeventhGear.com!!

Best Wishes.

Bryn Williams.

CEO Crash.Net

Mindless crap need not apply. :rolleyes:

Ugh! Thank goodness for WB and his forum!

WickerBill
02-15-04, 10:20 AM
So they don't like "real" forums.

fourrunner
02-15-04, 10:25 AM
What an Odd response.... Wonder if they frisk you before each visit... Hope So! ;);)

Don't look for any forum...First they don't appear to want to moderate it... Second, There's always some moron who will post something outrageous and prove their point!

racermike
02-15-04, 02:24 PM
yes....yes it is.

They managed to drag my charred remains out of the fire and reanimate me...

Wow Aaron .. whats up bud?

Gotta log onto AIM sometime (I still have same screen name)

You out of Uni yet?

Ankf00
02-15-04, 02:28 PM
What an Odd response.... Wonder if they frisk you before each visit... Hope So! ;);)

Don't look for any forum...First they don't appear to want to moderate it... Second, There's always some moron who will post something outrageous and prove their point!

um, isn't what that crash.net wanker said the reason for having a mod?

what a wanker... :rolleyes:

TurboTodd
02-15-04, 04:39 PM
In the four years I spent on 7g, I only managed 100 odd posts, but had a great time in the early times.. Things changed, yet I still visited a few times a week to keep current..

Been out of town for a week, and return to catch up, and it's gone.

This may well be my first post here, and I'll try to get 100 before 4 years pass..

Glad to have a vibrant alive place to discuss the sport we all love.

TT

dando
02-15-04, 05:06 PM
Interesting choice of words....mindless cr@p is exactly what I thought of their site design.

-Kevin

A.I.
02-15-04, 06:14 PM
Hahaha! He's been handed the dregs of 7G on a platter and he's done all in his power to run them out of town....

It's people like that who tempt me that little bit more to bring you guys back what you need....as you can see they're not about the fans....

G'day Mike, what's doing? I don't use that AIM crap anymore. How many chat programs can a guy have? I only use MSN - azairvine@hotmail.com

How are the IRL kittens?

C2D
02-16-04, 12:14 AM
Aaron, that explains why I haven't seen you online anymore on AIM. You need to get Trillian, which lets you logon with AIM, Yahoo, MSN, and IRC all at the same time.

Go to bed man! ;)

CART License
02-16-04, 03:45 AM

I just had my first post deleted from any racing form and it was at crash net. goodbye crash and the sellout's at 7. I hope they (crash) didn't spend a lot on the domain name... I won't attend there "ad" site

A.I.
02-16-04, 06:28 AM
dude! You've shortened your name! Hahaha!

Oh man.....them were the days....I guess I shouldn't go on reminiscing!

Hey WB, you're not Tara'ing me on the email are you? I find it hard to believe that you could be away from the PC for more than 24hrs. What kinda owner are you?! :p

WickerBill
02-16-04, 06:32 AM
I'm thinking about the email, Aaron...

A.I.
02-16-04, 07:42 AM
;)

Mary
02-20-04, 08:45 PM
Hello everyone & thanks for the memories! I used to be a regular poster on SeventhGear (& SpeedCenter, SpeedNet, AtlasF1 & RASI before that) but got tired of it in the past year and hadn't posted a lot. However, I did still read it until about a week and a half ago. Last weekend, I came here to find out what happened. I registered just to post in this thread.

SeventhGear was great for a long time and I enjoyed posting there (for the most part, anyway). Also, I personally will never forget the kindness everyone showed me on 9/11/2001. It truly meant a lot to me--still does.

I try to keep up with CART news, but I can't say that it interests me much anymore (don't worry, I won't become an 'ista). Maybe that will change and I'll rejoin the CARTisan community; maybe not. Whatever happens, stay safe and enjoy the racing.

Mary Young

WickerBill
02-20-04, 09:01 PM
Mary, great to see you. Hopefully you'll fall in love with it again and we'll see you around. :)

cart7
02-20-04, 09:55 PM
You're always welcome here Mary. :thumbup:

TravelGal
02-20-04, 10:00 PM
Mary, I, for one, always enjoyed your posts over at 7G. Stick with us. It's going to be an exciting year! TravelGal from 7G.

Rob
02-20-04, 10:26 PM
Seventhgear was my first experience with an internet community of any kind. I joined in Feb. 2001, so I apparently missed some fun in the early days. I loved 7G and met a lot of terrific people at races and in the chat room. I'll miss it greatly, but thankfully I still have the good friends that I made there.

devilmaster
02-20-04, 10:27 PM
I don't use that AIM crap anymore. How many chat programs can a guy have? I only use MSN -

Aaron - use Trillian. It encompasses aim, msn, icq, yahooim and irc all in one handy dandy interface.

PM me and i'll give you the good website.

Steve

Lizzerd
02-21-04, 03:37 AM
Mary!!!!!! Welcome!!!!! Hoping to hear more form you here. I liked your posts too, and was worried for a while on 9/11, knowing (from 7G)that you live in Manhattan. Good to see you here. Pull up a chair, grab a beverage of you choice and stick around a while, okay?

Kiwifan
02-21-04, 04:59 AM
Welcome Mary, nice to see you here. :)

Rusty.

pchall
02-21-04, 08:51 AM
That TV Guide synopsis was toooo funny! :rofl:

That's one of those movies that just sticks with you over time!

Is it the movie itself, or just Inger Stevens? :thumbup:

fourrunner
02-21-04, 12:46 PM
Is it the movie itself, or just Inger Stevens? :thumbup:

Ahh Inger Stevens.... "The Farmers Daughter" My Friday night Fantasy as a young Teen approaching Manhood. Dreaming I was the Congressman coming home to those homecooked meals, the Scandanavian accent, the tasteful but form fitting dresses, that sexy little apron, pressed just so, tied in the back with the Bow just begging to be pulled, that temptation in the mind ....

OK , I'd better stop there! ;)

What a Fine Saturday Morning it is!!!

oddlycalm
02-21-04, 03:37 PM
Mary - Great to see a post from you. It absolutely wouldn't be the same without you. :thumbup:

oc
aka taildragger

Hyacinth
02-21-04, 11:44 PM
Well, after taking a year off from racing fandom to decide if I still wanted to spend Sundays watching the sport, it's almost decision time...

I may stop in here once in a while - guess I still have turbos on the brain. And it's good to see so many familiar names again.

(RIP, 7thG :cry: )

Hyacinth

chop456
02-22-04, 10:18 AM
Well, after taking a year off from racing fandom to decide if I still wanted to spend Sundays watching the sport, it's almost decision time...

I may stop in here once in a while - guess I still have turbos on the brain. And it's good to see so many familiar names again.

(RIP, 7thG :cry: )

Hyacinth

Good to see you. I almost e-mailed you the other night to see if you were still with us.

Don't be a stranger. I enjoy your focused anger towards the idiotgrandson. :D

fourrunner
02-22-04, 02:15 PM
Hi Mrs. Bucket, Nice to see you here!! :thumbup:

gjc2
02-22-04, 08:08 PM
Another 7G refugee here!

Anyone notice the irony of the fact that we were discussing the possible demise of champ car racing on seventhgear, now that it appears champ cars will survive, seventhgear is gone?

George

ps: I first learned of 7G from the Andretti web site.

Hyacinth
02-22-04, 10:08 PM
Good to see you. I almost e-mailed you the other night to see if you were still with us.

Don't be a stranger. I enjoy your focused anger towards the idiotgrandson. :D

Good to see you too, Lord Chopsworth!

You'll be glad to know that the focused anger toward the Idiot Grandson hasn't changed - in fact, it's been refined and purified.

As I and others on this board have said for years, the only factual reasons for the Split always come down to the "basics" - money, power, and control. It's heartwarming to see that the Lemmings have finally realized that they've been pawns in the Inheritor's ego-tripping game.

Hyacinth

Adrian_FanTX
02-23-04, 07:27 PM
Hello gang,

It is sooo nice to see a whole lot of familiar faces (names).

Sad to see 7G disappear. Got to move on, new name for Champcars, new forum. ;)