Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

chop456
05-04-10, 07:39 PM
"Is it wrong?"

:laugh:

oddlycalm
05-04-10, 08:41 PM
[Earl's Theme]Is it wrong?
Dude, it's the meat smoking thread, if you're gonna smoke the meat you pretty much have to admire the butt. :gomer:

oc

Ankf00
05-04-10, 09:56 PM
First smoke of the year and first on the 'new' WSM, courtesy of Opposite Lock. :thumbup:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3346/4573446773_b1141a4d29.jpg

where's the flame thrower? :gomer:

KLang
05-17-10, 06:58 AM
Brisket!

oddlycalm
05-18-10, 05:16 PM
Brisket!
That's some serious bark, what kind of rub did you use?

oc

KLang
05-18-10, 05:56 PM
That's some serious bark, what kind of rub did you use?

oc

Just some store bought stuff from the pantry. Probably old. :D

About 16 hours at 225. Temp was 193. Rest for another 4-5 hours.

Ankf00
05-18-10, 06:58 PM
trimmed flat?

where's the artery clogging part? :D

Opposite Lock
05-18-10, 08:44 PM
trimmed flat?

where's the artery clogging part? :D

Yes, that looks flat and pointless. :rimshot: Texian knows his brisket. :thumbup:

J/k, it actually looks quite good.

I did a full packer cut on the WSM last year, but I still have yet to do one on the Cookshack (not even close to bored with pig products yet). I can get cryovac flats from the local grocery, but I've resisted the temptation so far, and packer cuts take a bit more effort to obtain for me (gotta go out to the west side of town). Pretty soon though.

KLang
05-19-10, 03:03 PM
For just two of us a flat is plenty of meat. That was trimmed a little closer then I would have preferred, but that's what they had at the grocery store that day. Still turned out very moist and tasty. :thumbup:

Ankf00
05-19-10, 03:46 PM
nothing wrong w/ just the flat, just partial to my future quadruple bypass is all :)

I don't even know where to find a packer cut here that isn't 7.99-11.99/lb

buncha prather ranch hippies in this town :shakehead: IT'S A GOT DAM BRISKET, NOT A FILET!

Don Quixote
05-19-10, 04:52 PM
:shakehead: IT'S A GOT DAM BRISKET, NOT A FILET! [old man mode on] The butcher in the corner market in my dad's hometown used to give away flank steaks and skirt steaks because he couldn't sell them. That would have been in the late 60's because they used to send me to pick them up in exchange for a DQ Dilly bar. Lean eating and health consciousness changed all that. [old man mode still on]

edit: My dad's mom used to roll those flank steaks fat side out around onions and cook them on a rotisserie. Yum.

Ankf00
05-19-10, 05:37 PM
stupid popularity of fajitas with all you yankees making skirt steak expensive now :mad:

:p :D

dando
05-19-10, 07:09 PM
stupid popularity of fajitas with all you yankees making skirt steak expensive now :mad:

****. I can't even find the stuff now. Trip-tip and skirt steak is now flat-iron steak. :irked:

-Kevin

cameraman
05-19-10, 07:29 PM
Trip-tip and skirt steak is now flat-iron steak. :irked:

-Kevin

Only if you are dealing with idiots.

oddlycalm
05-19-10, 09:14 PM
nothing wrong w/ just the flat, just partial to my future quadruple bypass is all :)

buncha prather ranch hippies in this town :shakehead: IT'S A GOT DAM BRISKET, NOT A FILET! Restaurant supply places are your friend. Smart & Final (http://www.smartandfinal.com/index.aspx) are all over Cali.The quality is likely to be Select, but then that's why you're cooking it for 15hrs. :D You can also try Cash & Carry (http://www.smartfoodservice.com/) for a similar experience. The two used to be related but don't seem to be anymore. Great places to buy rub spices in quantity, plastic gloves, heavy foil and about anything else you need for Q.

We have them up here as well under the Cash & Carry banner but I prefer Safeway if I want to stay in the neighborhood and better yet is Gartner's (http://www.gartnersmeats.com/) if I'm up for a drive across town.

Mostly these days I just prefer fish. :gomer:

oc

Ankf00
05-19-10, 10:10 PM
never stepped inside the cash & carry on Van Ness & Central Expy, looked like it was some kinda walmart'ized pawn shop :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
05-19-10, 10:40 PM
Sounds like you nitrosomine epicureians are ready to throw down :gomer:

oddlycalm
05-19-10, 11:02 PM
never stepped inside the cash & carry on Van Ness & Central Expy, looked like it was some kinda walmart'ized pawn shop :gomer:
Yep that's the place, and you're right, the building is not glamorous at all. The good news is that the clientele is primarily commercial so you don't get the retail/big box store freak show. :thumbup: If you've never been to a restaurant supply before it's worth a trip just to look around.

oc

eiregosod
05-21-10, 09:15 PM

buncha prather ranch hippies in this town :shakehead: IT'S A GOT DAM BRISKET, NOT A FILET!

at those prices , you'd be just as well to buy it from whole foods.

STD
05-21-10, 10:01 PM
What, without the antibiotics and roids?

chop456
07-02-10, 03:11 AM
First overnight smoke on the WSM tonight, and it's unattended. Lit it at 10:00pm, put 2 butts on at 10:30 (275F), checked it at 10:45 (250F) and left.

It's all in the Pork Gods' hands now. :\

[Edit] 9 hours later and it's still at 250 without being touched.

I heart my WSM.

G.
07-03-10, 11:34 PM
saw this guy today.

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/images/bubba-keg.jpg

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/images/trailer-hitch.jpg

Six bills is a bit high to start a new hobby, but I was certainly tempted.

They got rid of the Bubba name (http://www.gas-grill-review.com/bubba-keg-convection-grill.html)

oddlycalm
07-04-10, 06:23 PM
Six bills is a bit high to start a new hobby, but I was certainly tempted.[/URL]

Agreed G., looks like a nice unit but six bills for what appears to be a tiny 16"-18" grill area doesn't seem like a great price. Justifying it by saying that the BGE's are even more is strange logic. BGE has always been a bad deal when it comes to $ vs grill area even back when the cost ~$500.

The guy jabbering about spending $50 on a small heat deflector is also seemed fat of wallet. I get terra cotta discs down at the garden supply for fraction of that and while they may not be "official" heat shields or pizza stones they work just right up until I manage to drop them on the patio...:gomer:

oc

Don Quixote
11-11-10, 10:14 AM
I'm thinking about smoking the Thanksgiving turkey this year. Medium sized bird, maybe 16 pounds. No problem, or will I be up all night feeding the fire? Should I brine the bird first? Should I put anything in the cavity? Recommendations for rubs? When should I put it on? Somebody talk me out of this, please.

dando
11-11-10, 10:48 AM
I'm thinking about smoking the Thanksgiving turkey this year. Medium sized bird, maybe 16 pounds. No problem, or will I be up all night feeding the fire? Should I brine the bird first? Should I put anything in the cavity? Recommendations for rubs? When should I put it on? Somebody talk me out of this, please.

Here's the site I've been consulting with the new smoker I purchased back in August:

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/index.html

They recommend a smaller bird for smoking (~12 lb. range). I've done a few chickens (brined), ribs, and brisket so far. I also managed to set the rig on fire. :gomer: Important to keep water in the water bowl so that the grease doesn't cause a flame out. :saywhat: And yes, I have found that tending the fire/temp every hour is a must.

-Kevin

Don Quixote
11-17-10, 10:08 AM
Bump: So nobody here has ever smoked their Thanksgiving turkey? I am on my own, with a little internet help from Dando. On my own. Is that what you are saying? :gomer:

dando
11-17-10, 10:21 AM
Bump: So nobody here has ever smoked their Thanksgiving turkey? I am on my own, with a little internet help from Dando. On my own. Is that what you are saying? :gomer:

I tried it once on my gas grill, and it was a colossal failure. Me thinks the bird was too big, and the cold temps affected it as well. It's harder to keep the temp up in cold weather (duh). I have a smaller bird I'm going to try (not on turkey day, tho), and it looks like we're frying one this weekend. Look for Visible from Space to the east Sat or Sun. :gomer:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
11-17-10, 11:09 AM
I smoke em on a Weber Kettle. The key is indirect heat. I put two rows of coals on the outside edges. In between is a pan to collect drippings. Heavy duty foil baffles separate the pan from the coals so no ash gets into the gravy pan. The foil also makes sure the bird cooks with indirect heat.The bird is rubbed with olive oil and placed on a cooling rack that I put on the top rack of the Webber. The gravy pan has chopped up innards, onions and water. The bird is cooked unstuffed. I open it up every 45 minutes and baste the turkey with a little oil and dust it with paprika for eye appeal. Cooking time works out to about 15 min/lb at 325 F just like in the inside oven. You will have to add water to the gravy pan too. The smoked bird is fantastic, but the smoked gravy is even better.

Don Quixote
11-17-10, 11:42 AM
OK, now we are talking. I like the idea of a gravy pan. I could put a pan on the bottom rack under the bird and above the water pan to catch the drippings. I am guessing it will be more like around 200-250 degrees, and therefore will have to do it overnight. I have ordered a foo foo range fed 12-14 pounder.

dando
11-17-10, 12:28 PM
OK, now we are talking. I like the idea of a gravy pan. I could put a pan on the bottom rack under the bird and above the water pan to catch the drippings. I am guessing it will be more like around 200-250 degrees, and therefore will have to do it overnight. I have ordered a foo foo range fed 12-14 pounder.

What does your rig look like? I have an upright, and mine went up in flames because the water bowl got low and the drippings ended up getting onto the fire. I was fine the first attempt (I was practically sitting on the rig watching the temp), but the second time I got distracted and forgot the water. Poof! :saywhat: Less of an issue with the rigs that have a separate smoker box.

-Kevin

KLang
11-17-10, 01:32 PM
Weber Smokey Mountain?

If so: link (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey4.html)

Don Quixote
11-17-10, 02:03 PM
Weber Smokey Mountain?

If so: link (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey4.html)Mine is a WSM (father's day gift). That recipe calls for a self basting turkey, which I didn't order. I will let bacon strips serve that purpose perhaps. That recipe calls for no water in the water pan, which is apparently to get the smoker temperature up. Plus, like Dando says, it would seem that the drippings would flare up if there is no water in the pan. My common sense is telling me to smoke this thing like you would a roasting chicken, only allow for more time.

dando
11-17-10, 02:11 PM
Mine is a WSM (father's day gift). That recipe calls for a self basting turkey, which I didn't order. I will let bacon strips serve that purpose perhaps. That recipe calls for no water in the water pan, which is apparently to get the smoker temperature up. Plus, like Dando says, it would seem that the drippings would flare up if there is no water in the pan. My common sense is telling me to smoke this thing like you would a roasting chicken, only allow for more time.

Yup. Same process for turkey vs. chicken...brine, season, smoke ~250. I wouldn't chance not having water in the pan. My first go round I did two whole chickens and a couple of racks of babybacks w/o any issues (other than keeping the temp up). Second go round was two whole chickens and some brisket. Flare up occurred when the water boiled. On the positive side, it did manage to get the temp up. :gomer: Luckily it was just the skin that got crispy, so I just pulled that off and the rest was still tasty, tasty, tasty.

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
11-17-10, 02:13 PM
I just use one of these http://forums.wakeboarder.com/files/weber_kettle_grill.jpg
The water in the drip pan is so I have adequate stock to make gravy. The foil baffles make sure the gravy is clean and the bird cooks with indirect heat. I have no problem keeping the temp up on very cold winter days, might have to add a few coals when basting, but it works very well.

chop456
11-17-10, 02:15 PM
Re: the pan in a WSM. Read up on using sand, and also the bottom saucer(?) part of a big clay flower pot.

Also - if you have the NEW WSM, the pan is way bigger than a normal pan. You might not have the problem of it going dry.

Don Quixote
11-17-10, 02:49 PM
Re: the pan in a WSM. Read up on using sand, and also the bottom saucer(?) part of a big clay flower pot.

Also - if you have the NEW WSM, the pan is way bigger than a normal pan. You might not have the problem of it going dry.The water pan is huge. I think it holds around 3 gallons. I have not yet smoked anything overnight, but in four hour smokes the pan doesn't run dry. The clay poy idea reminds me of adobe ovens. Folks swear by them as they have very uniform heat. My neighbor puts bricks on his lower rack for that same reason.

dando
11-17-10, 02:59 PM
The water pan is huge. I think it holds around 3 gallons.

Much, much larger than mine. First go round I refilled it a couple of times (mainly to be safe). Note to self: don't go mow the lawn after starting the smoker.

-Kevin

KLang
11-17-10, 03:03 PM
Mine is a WSM (father's day gift). That recipe calls for a self basting turkey, which I didn't order. I will let bacon strips serve that purpose perhaps. That recipe calls for no water in the water pan, which is apparently to get the smoker temperature up. Plus, like Dando says, it would seem that the drippings would flare up if there is no water in the pan. My common sense is telling me to smoke this thing like you would a roasting chicken, only allow for more time.

I can't vouch for the specific recipe but that site is supposed to be the bible for the WSM.

I don't know if brining would take the place of self basting.

Don Quixote
12-04-10, 02:07 PM
So, I hate to brag (:gomer:), but here is the result of my 2010 Thanksgiving Day smoked turkey experiment. The bird was 14 pounds, and I brined him in salt and brown sugar for 24 hours. I rubbed it with a jerk seasoning and smoked it for about 14 hours. I also put a few bacon strips on it for basting purposes, but I'm not sure if that made any difference. I learned that due to the mass of the bird the initial temp dropped below 200 F almost immediately. I had to add charcol an hour later. Next time I will start with two chimneys of charcol instead of one. It was cold out that night (about 10 F), so between midnight and 5:00 am the temp in the smoker dropped from 250 F to about 125 F. I added another chimney and the temp stayed right at 250 F until I took it off at 1:00 PM. I also added a gallon of boiling water to the pan at that same time. I only opened the top of the smoker that one time at 5:00 AM. The internal temp of the bird was at 180 F at 1:00 PM when I took it off. The moistness, texture and flavor of the bird were better than anything I have ever roasted. The smoke ring was not real visible, but the smoked flavor was there. Experiment 2 coming up on Christmas!

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a411/dddd5/DSCN0267small.jpg

Al Czervik
12-04-10, 07:56 PM
I finally pulled the trigger on a Cookshack unit. 10% off, too. It arrives this week. I can't wait.

Andrew Longman
12-04-10, 10:59 PM
Don, yummy.

I smoked a 13 pounder for T day. Did another in the oven (plus a ham that day -- lots of people to feed). Brined them both in a water, broth, salt, brown sugar, OJ, bay leaf thingy for 24 hours. Apple chips in the smoker.

Both were great. Smoked one the best and really moist and tender.

Sorry no pics. I'm starting a marinade, it just so happens, for a Bolar Beef roast I'm smoking tomorrow.:D

KLang
12-05-10, 01:00 PM
I finally pulled the trigger on a Cookshack unit. 10% off, too. It arrives this week. I can't wait.

:thumbup: I think you'll really like it. Which model did you order?

Ankf00
12-05-10, 01:07 PM
and also the bottom saucer(?) part of a big clay flower pot.

OC and I are big fans of the ceramic potting plate, although his entire cooking vessel is ceramic...

So, I hate to brag (:gomer:), but here is the result of my 2010 Thanksgiving Day smoked turkey experiment. The bird was 14 pounds, and I brined him in salt and brown sugar for 24 hours. I rubbed it with a jerk seasoning and smoked it for about 14 hours. I also put a few bacon strips on it for basting purposes, but I'm not sure if that made any difference. I learned that due to the mass of the bird the initial temp dropped below 200 F almost immediately. I had to add charcol an hour later. Next time I will start with two chimneys of charcol instead of one. It was cold out that night (about 10 F), so between midnight and 5:00 am the temp in the smoker dropped from 250 F to about 125 F. I added another chimney and the temp stayed right at 250 F until I took it off at 1:00 PM. I also added a gallon of boiling water to the pan at that same time. I only opened the top of the smoker that one time at 5:00 AM. The internal temp of the bird was at 180 F at 1:00 PM when I took it off. The moistness, texture and flavor of the bird were better than anything I have ever roasted. The smoke ring was not real visible, but the smoked flavor was there. Experiment 2 coming up on Christmas!

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a411/dddd5/DSCN0267small.jpg

looks good :thumbup: an idea for later, try spatchcocking a bird sometime, easy and juicy. and sometime also try tossing bacon w/ herbs & citrus in the food processor and stuffing it under the skin :D

Al Czervik
12-05-10, 11:00 PM
:thumbup: I think you'll really like it. Which model did you order?
SuperSmoker Elite

chop456
12-06-10, 03:10 AM
an idea for later, try spatchcocking a bird sometime, easy and juicy.

This would have been way funnier if TrueBrit posted it.

TrueBrit
12-06-10, 05:49 PM

:rofl::laugh::rofl:

Ankf00
12-08-10, 04:34 PM

remind me to whack you with a turkey leg one day

Don Quixote
03-03-11, 07:45 PM
Just found my favorite bbq shop in Golden. (Coincidently, this place also happens to be real close to one of the greatest liquor stores ever, Applejacks) Great selection of wood chunks, spice rubs, sauces, accessories. Always looking for a reason to bump oc's thread! :thumbup:

http://www.ruffsonline.com/

Ankf00
03-03-11, 08:48 PM
I would go there to get that dizzy pig rub OC was always pimping. Good shoppe.

KLang
03-26-11, 09:11 AM
Baby back ribs: :D

stroker
03-26-11, 10:45 AM

<les nessman> "ooooOOOOOOOoooooooooo....." </les nessman>

Don Quixote
03-26-11, 12:11 PM
Baby back ribs: :DNice!!

Ankf00
03-26-11, 03:32 PM

awesome sauce.

and I am literally leaving atx at this moment to head to Luling for a ut reunion of sorts.

god bless this state.

chop456
04-12-11, 06:16 AM
Anyone ever made their own bacon?

:notaeuphamism:

Don Quixote
04-12-11, 10:03 AM

:notaeuphamism:I have only made peameal bacon which our Canuck friends can better explain. You brine a pork tenderloin with pickling salt for about 10 days and then rinse it off, slice it thin, coat it in cornmeal and fry it in a cast iron pan. You can actually taste the childhood fishing trip with every bite.

cameraman
04-12-11, 10:39 AM

:notaeuphamism:

The Iowa State University Meat Laboratory Cured Meat Short Course (http://www.ans.iastate.edu/meatcourses/curedmeat/about.html)

chop456
04-12-11, 12:03 PM

The Iowa State University Meat Laboratory Cured Meat Short Course (http://www.ans.iastate.edu/meatcourses/curedmeat/about.html)

I'll gladly suffer botulism before I pay $850 for a cooking course.

cameraman
04-12-11, 12:21 PM
Yeah they struck me as a bit spendy. I didn't pay that much for an entire semester at Iowa State back in the day...

Andrew Longman
04-12-11, 01:47 PM
I'll gladly suffer botulism before I pay $850 for a cooking course.Does that include "lab fees and supplies?" How much bacon do I get for $850? If you got like 200# of good smoked bacon for that it would be a deal. :gomer:

Don Quixote
04-25-11, 01:20 PM
I smoked the Easter ham and it turned out great. I started with a cheap (99 cents a pound, on sale) bone-in ham from safeway. I rubbed it with yellow mustard and honey, and then dizzy pig rub, and put it flat side down on the grill. I left it on for about 4 hours, and was able to maintain the smoker temp at about 225 F throughout with two chimneys of charcol. (Of course my constant attention was required next to the smoker in my patio chair with a cooler of beer :gomer:) I used a chunk of cherry wood for the smoking, mainly because a couple of articles I read advised against use of stronger scented woods with ham. The texture and flavor of this baby surpassed any other ham we have ever bought. The leftover sammys on homemade rolls with swiss and mayo are amazing. I am now officially smoker-obsessed. :thumbup:

chop456
05-27-11, 05:59 AM
Saturday is WSM Smoke Day VII.

In. :tony:

Don Quixote
05-27-11, 07:57 AM
Saturday? I thought it was Sunday. :confused:

chop456
05-27-11, 08:15 AM
You Sir, are a slacker. :tony: :D

Barbecue with fellow WSM enthusiasts from around the world on WSM Smoke Day VII - Saturday, May 28, 2011!

http://www.cafepress.com/content/products/img-bleed/clear.gif

Don Quixote
05-27-11, 08:51 AM
I gobsmacked! :D

Ankf00
05-27-11, 11:27 AM
would be cooler if it was Smokelemania VII, with a special appearance by Mr. "I am a real American, Fight for the rights of every man, I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life!" :tony:

Ankf00
05-27-11, 01:08 PM
also, about to pull trigger on a 22 1/2" WSM, $307+31shipping...

but now I'm all wondering if I should spend 2x for an egg or primo. [/spendthrift american]

miatanut
05-27-11, 02:05 PM

but now I'm all wondering if I should spend 2x for an egg or primo. [/spendthrift american]

I just got the 18" WSM a month ago :) and it fits a LOT of stuff. A lot more than an egg. A 22 1/2" would fit three eggs worth of stuff. I find it uses a lot of fuel, so my wife and I have adopted a system of loading it up, then freezing most of the results and steaming them in small portions for dinner. That system works for red meat. For poultry, the flavor seems more intense eating the leftovers cold.

chop456
05-27-11, 02:08 PM

No. And if you can wait, you never know what you'll find in the fall. I could have bought a 22.5" for $199 last November at Ace Hardware's closeout.

You're an industrious lad, why not make a 55-gallon UDS? (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?3165-Building-a-basic-drum-smoker-%28UDS%29)

I now have ~27 lbs. of rubbed butt in my fridge.

:kardashian:

Ankf00
05-27-11, 02:46 PM
the problem w/ the waiting is every year I wait too long, or not long enough. I'm certainly not hurting for a new smoker, but $350 all in for the big one looked pretty nice. then again 200 + tax would run >220, that's nicer.

building a makeshift would certainly be fun, and I can get access to old drums. whether the toxic sludge & oil is a risk remains to be determined :texastexasyeehaw:

kamado style = pizza oven = yes pls. but I don't need to be tossing away the $$ quite yet

TrueBrit
05-27-11, 03:42 PM

Who was doing the rubbing? :D

stroker
05-27-11, 04:08 PM
Hy-Vee had baby backs on sale yesterday for $2/lb. Got a couple to slow cook for my homies from WI/MN visiting for the weekend. Fresh strawberries & shortcake for dessert. Let's hope I do the ribs justice...

dando
05-27-11, 05:08 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Mountain-Charcoal-Porcelain-Enameled-Thermometer/dp/B0007XWAM6

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-27-11, 06:42 PM
18.5"

dando
05-27-11, 08:29 PM
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=weber+smokey+mountain&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=0XP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1366&bih=596&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2732347984772898409&sa=X&ei=bQ7gTbGVJojpgQefzbDlCg&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAQ

miatanut
05-27-11, 09:08 PM
18.5"

And the diameter of the largest egg is?

Ankf00
05-28-11, 01:49 AM
largest BGE is 24", but I'm not sure what dando's trying to link, both have been 18.5" ones.

anyway, we'll see what's up later this weekend.

as of this moment, just watched hangover II with an original recipe 4 Loko. Oranje. Yessir.

chop456
05-28-11, 08:46 AM
Chimney lit. Butts on counter, acclimating to ambient temperature. Sam Adams Summer Sampler* on ice. :thumbup:

*That's the best Sam's Club had and that's where I was shopping. Up yours. :tony:

dando
05-28-11, 12:22 PM
largest BGE is 24", but I'm not sure what dando's trying to link, both have been 18.5" ones.

anyway, we'll see what's up later this weekend.

as of this moment, just watched hangover II with an original recipe 4 Loko. Oranje. Yessir.

Google Shopping linkies are not BB friendly. Linky to 18.5" inch @ Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-721001-Smokey-Mountain-Cooker/dp/B001I8ZTJ0/ref=dp_ob_title_def

Unfortunately Windmill Dude (must abide) recommends it, so I question whether to upgrade or not. :gomer:

In any case, smoker is smoking with brisket and two chickens to follow soon. :thumbup: Frigging dance recital for 2+ hours tomorrow, so my day is screwed. :(

-Kevin

chop456
07-15-11, 07:08 AM
I bought 63 pounds of pork butt yesterday. :tony:

devilmaster
07-15-11, 08:25 AM

enough about the chicago hookers, this is a food thread!

Ankf00
07-15-11, 01:02 PM

you can fit that much in your wsm? impressive.

chop456
07-18-11, 01:43 AM
^ Nope. 8 butts. 4 in the freezer, 2 smoked, one made into Thuringer Bratwurst and 1 made into Linguica.

I think you could get 6 in the WSM comfortably if you set them on edge.

Ankf00
07-18-11, 01:45 PM
you make your own linguica? gimme.

chop456
07-21-11, 02:01 AM
Meh. You wouldn't be interested. :D

Seriously, this was my first try and it wasn't very good. I wanted Churrascaria-style and couldn't find a recipe I liked. I went with Portuguese-style and didn't get the fat content quite high enough. Unlike myself. :tony:

These were grilled. I smoked some, too. Haven't tried those yet.

Don Quixote
07-21-11, 09:38 AM
Those look super-model beautiful.

Opposite Lock
07-21-11, 11:55 AM
What kind of stuffer did you use? I was thinking about a 5 lb crank model, but then I stumbled on the Dakotah water stuffer and am now leaning in that direction.

chop456
07-21-11, 12:34 PM
What kind of stuffer did you use? I was thinking about a 5 lb crank model, but then I stumbled on the Dakotah water stuffer and am now leaning in that direction.

Kitchener 5 lb. vertical. $89 at Northern Tool. Works a treat. :tony:

Or you can borrow mine pretty much anytime you want. I know where you live. :D

Opposite Lock
07-22-11, 01:27 AM
Kitchener 5 lb. vertical. $89 at Northern Tool. Works a treat. :tony:

Or you can borrow mine pretty much anytime you want. I know where you live. :D

Cool, thanks. I'm gonna take you up on that, once I figure out a game plan, recipes, and get my supplies together. :thumbup:

chop456
07-23-11, 10:14 AM
Brisket on at 0800. :cool:

Ankf00
11-04-11, 04:39 PM
No. And if you can wait, you never know what you'll find in the fall. I could have bought a 22.5" for $199 last November at Ace Hardware's closeout.

You're an industrious lad, why not make a 55-gallon UDS? (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?3165-Building-a-basic-drum-smoker-%28UDS%29)

it's november, see any marked down webers? they've been off the shelves for some time at the stores down here.

$325 from amazon right now, $250 for the 18

Mr. Vengeance
11-04-11, 06:10 PM
130-some page .pdf of sausage recipes from Stuffers: http://estores.wws5.com/stuffers.com/content/recipes/sausrecp.pdf

Should keep you busy for a while.

chop456
11-05-11, 11:17 AM
it's november, see any marked down webers? they've been off the shelves for some time at the stores down here.

$325 from amazon right now, $250 for the 18

No, but I'm not shopping. Did see a guy on craigslist with a NOS 18" for $200 OBO. :tony:

Anyone near the ORD that's looking should check Olson's Ace Hardware on North Ave. in Melrose Park. I got my gas Weber there last year for $300 cheaper than anywhere else and that's the place I referred to above with the 22" WSMs for $199.

chop456
11-05-11, 11:18 AM
130-some page .pdf of sausage recipes from Stuffers: http://estores.wws5.com/stuffers.com/content/recipes/sausrecp.pdf

Should keep you busy for a while.

Sweet! Thanks!

Made 5 pounds of Bramberg brats, 7 pounds of Texas hot links and 5 pounds of Jerk sausage last weekend, along with ~10# of bacon and a slab of Pancetta that will likely go in the garbage.

TravelGal
11-05-11, 10:33 PM
along with ~10# of bacon and a slab of Pancetta that will likely go in the garbage.

Excuse me? Garbage? Explain please.

The day I could actually make any of those things is the day I choke it down no matter what. (or, probably)

chop456
11-06-11, 09:37 AM
^ It was a scrap that was too small to make bacon out of, so essentially an experiment. It dried too quickly on the outside, so the inside wasn't aged and as firm as it should have been (the basement is too dry :gomer: ).

After reading that it should be safe enough to eat considering it's cooked - I fried some up. Not bad for a first effort, but not great, either. Kinda' tastes like Junipery, peppery bacon, which I guess it should. :gomer:

chop456
07-30-12, 02:01 AM
RIP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-19035426

cameraman
07-30-12, 02:50 AM
He hadn't vented the drum before he cut into it? :saywhat::eek::shakehead

Don Quixote
07-30-12, 08:52 AM
RIP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-19035426

Not a bad way to go.

Methanolandbrats
07-30-12, 08:57 AM
Sweet! Thanks!

Made 5 pounds of Bramberg brats, 7 pounds of Texas hot links and 5 pounds of Jerk sausage last weekend, along with ~10# of bacon and a slab of Pancetta that will likely go in the garbage.

Meat maistro, have you ever had a schnitzle burger at Road America? It's the stand on the hill above turn 5. I love to arrive and wait for the smoke to rise from the stand before trekking up the hill, it's a Vatican signal type of deal. :D If you have had one, can you figure out the spices? Thank you.

Elmo T
07-30-12, 08:59 AM
He hadn't vented the drum before he cut into it? :saywhat::eek::shakehead

Another one learns empty of liquid does not equal empty of vapors. :shakehead