PDA

View Full Version : Meat smoking

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

chop456
07-30-12, 11:17 AM
Meat maistro, have you ever had a schnitzle burger at Road America? It's the stand on the hill above turn 5. I love to arrive and wait for the smoke to rise from the stand before trekking up the hill, it's a Vatican signal type of deal. :D If you have had one, can you figure out the spices? Thank you.

Oh, I've had more than one. :D Just not for a while, so I can't pinpoint it for you. I'd be willing to bet it's some combination of Marjoram, Mace and Garlic, though (and S&P). Get some ground pork and separate it into patty-sized batches. Try different proportions in each batch. I'd also make sure you drink beer while doing this as I'm pretty sure that affects the outcome.

That Lions club stand at the top of the outside of 5 has always been my favorite for a sausage egger, too. :thumbup:

stroker
09-03-12, 12:06 PM
I just re-read this entire thread from start to finish. I had a cheap pork shoulder that was WAY beyond its "freeze-by" date (lost track of it with all the domestic discord going on) in the garage fridge so I thought I had something to experiment with. Washed it thoroughly in the hope of removing as much nasty bacteria as I could, dried it off with paper towels then rolled it in Garlic Powder/Sea Salt seasoning. When I was prepping the meat I noticed a bottle of apple juice on the kitchen table and I could have sworn I read something on OC about marinating in apple juice. That was the reason for my having searched the phrase and finding this thread. I threw it on the Cheap Chinese Assault Weber for about four hours with low heat on the opposite side using wet hickory chips. At bedtime I put it in the crock pot to finish cooking. If I never post again you'll know what kilt me...

After re-reading the thread I need to find an old 55 gallon drum and figure out how to weld up some legs and make a smoker. Or something.

Ziggy
09-24-12, 10:24 AM
http://www.wave3.com/story/19586191/chef-admits-to-killing-cooking-wife

Andrew Longman
09-24-12, 03:38 PM
http://www.wave3.com/story/19586191/chef-admits-to-killing-cooking-wifeDon't mess up the thread. It would seem he made soup of her rather than smoked her.

G.
10-02-12, 01:27 PM
Must. Smoke.

Need a smoker.

Looking for an upright, pretty big, but not furniture style. If a major construction component involves clay, that's probably too big.

Do the gas smokers work or suck? Electric?

Not dealing with charcoal would be a big plus, but if that means settling for bad, bad smoke, then I'll find a way to deal.

Favorite brands/models?

If you use charcoal, what lumps do you buy? I'm thinking matchlight Kingsford, but I could be wrong. :) If you use the lumps, do you still need to use wood chips for smoke, or will the hardwood charcoal do the smoking in one easy step?

Why do so many love the Weber Smokey Mountain? What makes them so much better than the upright rectangular ones that are half the price? I don't mind buying quality, I just want to know what makes it better.

Any good deals out there?

Dump knowledge here, please.

KLang
10-02-12, 02:56 PM
I'm sold on electric from Cookshack. Completely foolproof and repeatable results. Not cheap. Just did baby back ribs Sunday afternoon. Simply can't screw them up. :D

Weber Smokey Mountain would be my second choice. Now available in both 18.5" and 22.5" sizes. They do a better job than most at staying at temperature. Still have to add fuel for things longer than ribs.

dando
10-02-12, 07:13 PM
I have a cheap Brinkman vertical, which requires constant attention. It's just flimsy and has air-flow issues. I have also used our Weber gas grill with a smoker box, which is a decent alternative, but not the best. WSMs get solid reviews, and I can attest to the quality of Weber products considering that our Weber gas grill has lasted 15 years with a few parts replaced. Don Q has a WSM and swears by it. I would go with a WSM now, but not under our current family circumstances. :(

-Kevin

chop456
10-03-12, 01:36 AM
You have a PM. :gomer:

Al Czervik
10-03-12, 11:55 AM
I'm sold on electric from Cookshack. Completely foolproof and repeatable results. Not cheap. Just did baby back ribs Sunday afternoon. Simply can't screw them up. :D

Weber Smokey Mountain would be my second choice. Now available in both 18.5" and 22.5" sizes. They do a better job than most at staying at temperature. Still have to add fuel for things longer than ribs.

^^^^^^ I have an electric Cookshack unit. Easy to use, repeatable, well built, but kinda $$$$.

Don Quixote
10-03-12, 01:43 PM
I have the 18.5" Smokey Mountain and highly recommend it. For large roasts and birds, you do have to add a chimney of charcol as you go along, and sometimes twice if it is cold outside. The water pan is huge and you generally don't need to add water. Watching the temperature requires tending the smoker with a beer in hand, away from visiting relatives, sometimes for the whole day. :D

Edit: The manual says not to use lump charcol, use briquettes instead. I buy huge kingsford bags at Costco. One time I used lump, and the fire wasn't hot enough.

G.
10-09-12, 12:18 AM
So, I'm reading that the electrics don't produce as much smoke/flavor as the charcoal ones.

Cookshackers, do you get the full smoke flavor (and the ring)?

Apparently, the electric are so well insulated, that they don't run the element enough to keep the wood a'smokin'.

Is this the big drawback to electric that I was looking for/fearing? I know I will use an electric more often than a charcoal fired unit. Set-and-forget is damn attractive to me, but I still want flavor.

What do you think?

BTW, can you cold smoke with WSM's? You sort-of-can with some electric units.

chop456
10-09-12, 02:51 AM
I'll let the owners comment, but I don't think there's any drawback to the Cookshack except price. I'd be happy with that instead of the WSM if I could afford it. I've never heard anyone mention lack of smoke, but I've never asked.

You could cold smoke with a WSM, but it takes building a separate chamber and would be a big PITA.

Andrew Longman
10-09-12, 06:29 AM
I have a cheap electric that replaced a cheap charcoal smoker that lasted more than ten years.

Since I am prone to smoke in the dead of winter as much as on the 4th of July, the electric is a big plus. Keeping steady heat, especially on a 15 hour smoke, is tough enough without having to compensate for wind and cold.

No problem keeping smoke up, but I've followed the recommendation that it is possible to have too much smoke. Smoke is most important early on, but at some point you can have so much that the food tastes like a burned bedroom dresser

If you do go charcoal I suggest briquettes and not match light. Briquettes are uniform and more predictable in terms of how much you need for a certain heat. Match light burn too fast and have a petroleum smell..

I am not a smoking snob or even expert but I am satisfied with my work. The family gobbled down a pork shoulder I did yesterday. I find it is more important to (regularly) invest the time for a good slow smoke than to invest in an expensive smoker. Save your money for the meat you'll put in the smoker.

KLang
10-09-12, 07:10 AM
Electric will not give you the pink smoke ring. It still tastes the same though. The smoke ring is caused by the chemicals given off during combustion. In an electric you get smoke but not combustion. As Andrew mentioned, it doesn't take much wood. I normally use 2 or 3 small chunks of wood. The chunks are about 2 ounces each.

I should also add that the Cookshack smokers are made in the USA if that matters to you.

Andrew Longman
10-09-12, 07:29 AM
I'll add I usually use apple wood for smoking. I buy chips and chucks and mix them because I believe that gives me the longest smoke dwell. I wrap a mix up in foil and drop near, but not touching, the electric coil.

For beef I usually use oak.

I use Mesquite occasionally but it can be a pretty powerful flavor on its own that overpowers other rubs, brines, whatever I might be doing.

Don Quixote
10-09-12, 08:58 AM
I am not a smoking snob .....

I'll add I usually use apple wood for smoking. I buy chips and chucks and mix them because I believe that gives me the longest smoke dwell. I wrap a mix up in foil and drop near, but not touching, the electric coil.

For beef I usually use oak.

I use Mesquite occasionally but it can be a pretty powerful flavor on its own that overpowers other rubs, brines, whatever I might be doing.

:D

KLang
10-09-12, 10:20 AM
I use apple for pork and hickory for beef. I agree mesquite is too much for most things. I've been meaning to try some pecan from my yard but haven't gotten around to it.

KLang
10-09-12, 11:13 AM
Here is another option to think about. Recommended by Alton Brown, the PitmasterIQ (http://pitmasteriq.com/) can add some 'smoking smarts' to Weber Smokey Mountain or Weber kettle grill. Still have to add fuel for longer smokes.

Opposite Lock
10-09-12, 12:43 PM
I'll chime in as another very satisfied CookShack owner. I loved my WSM for the year that I had it, but because of where I smoke (on the balcony of a high-rise) the pouring of hot embers from the chimney into the WSM was dangerous due to the almost always present air currents. And dealing with the ash and the grease-filled pan of water was not too convenient. So I switched not quite 3 years (or 161 smokes and counting) ago.

Cleanup is much easier with the electric, and it doesn't care whether it's 95 or -10 outside. Change out the liner foil every few smokes, and empty the grease pan now and then. Throw a butt or a pastrami brisket in and go to bed, read the meat temperature off the panel when I get up the next day, and pull it when it's at the target temperature.

I've made a few attempts at cold and low temp smoking, (cheese, jerky), and it worked fine, although if you're cracking the door open, you need to keep an eye on it, as the rush of additional oxygen can cause the wood to flame up a bit.

Wood-wise I've tried a lot of different stuff from the Charcoal Store (http://www.charcoalstore.com/c4500/Wood-Chunks), and my favorites are apple, white oak, cherry, and pecan, although I like to keep a little mesquite and alder on hand. Unexpectedly I've found that mesquite worked pretty well with fish, but mostly I only use it for beef. Sometimes I just blend a few fruit and nut woods, as I can't tell a great deal of difference anyway with most of them. I try to stay away from bark except for apple.

If you're interested in a CookShack, they seem to have 10% off sales for a few weeks just before Christmas and Fathers Day.

G.
10-09-12, 07:11 PM
What model Cookshack do all you cookshackers have?

Can you fit a big turkey in it? How big?

Is the drip pan the water pan?

KLang
10-09-12, 07:56 PM
I have the AmeriQue. At the time I bought it that was the only model with an electronic controller. There are others now with electronic controllers but they don't do everything the big boy does.

I'm sure at least one large turkey will fit in the Smokette Elite. Probably 2 or 3 in the Supersmoker. I could fit at least 4 in the Amerique. The shelves are 18" wide, with smaller turkeys you would be able to fit two side by side on a shelf.

No water pan, the drip pan collects fat that melts out of the meat for disposal.

Andrew Longman
10-09-12, 09:13 PM
:DMaybe so but my smoker amounts to garbage can manufactured in Mongolia. I almost never do the same thing twice and even so most experts would say I never do it right. :D

The only thing I am consistent about is to not deny the laws of physics and chemistry by trying to make brining and smoking go faster than it will. That is pretty much the extent of my wisdom but no one has turned down my food yet. :)

Opposite Lock
10-10-12, 12:16 AM

I have the SM025 (http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokers_2/Smokette-Elite-Model-SM025). Back when I was considering the purchase, I almost went with the bigger Amerique model, but this one has been more than adequate for my needs.

According to their specs, the cooking "area" (footprint) is 14" x 18", so that could be a pretty good sized bird. But as I learned from Bourdain, I wouldn't cook/smoke it whole - rather, I break my birds down, and cook them according to part requirements. [/NormanRockwell shakes head in sadness]

I've done 3 racks of (large) babybacks simultaneously, and guesstimate I could probably get up it up to 4-5 if I employed my ribracks. (I also cut all my racks in half, to facilitate ease of placement in the smoker - again, Norman would probably not be happy.) :laugh:

No water pan in an electric. Water/moisture is considered anathema to the heating element, according to the mfr. literature, which discourages soaking of the smoking wood material, as it may damage the heating element. The only exhaust from the CookShack is a 1/2" chimney hole on top and a 1/2" grease drainage on the bottom. The moisture in the meat is more than enough to keep everything juicy.

In a WSM, the water pan does a few things - it acts as a thermal flywheel (meaning it maintains thermal mass to hold and stabilize temperature; it also provides internal moisture to the smoker, and also acts as the lowly grease catcher). The drip pan with a CookShack is actually outside of (and sits underneath) the unit. Iirc, the drip pan that is included was only a foil pan - you will need something more permanent. Basically any +/- 9x12 non-leaking vessel with at least 1.5" sides should do the job, as long as you clean it out once in a while. (I currently use a used-up non-stick baking pan that was starting to lose its coating.)

stroker
10-10-12, 07:55 AM
Let's talk about brining for a minute. Any suggestions on a good starting brine for pork?

dando
10-10-12, 08:06 AM
Let's talk about brining for a minute. Any suggestions on a good starting brine for pork?

IMHO, no brine for pork, just use a rub. Brine for poultry only.

-Kevin

Al Czervik
10-10-12, 11:17 AM

Mine is the http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokers_2/SuperSmoker-Model-SM045. I've never done a turkey, but the cooking racks are 14" x 18", so a decent sized bird should fit.

I bought mine almost 2 years ago between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They were running a 10% sale then.

As mentioned by others, no water pan. One hole in the bottom for drippings, one hole in the top for a chimney.

Andrew Longman
10-10-12, 02:15 PM
IMHO, no brine for pork, just use a rub. Brine for poultry only.

-KevinWhoa there partner.

Especially if you do a big chunk of pork like a shoulder roast and even more especially if you roast it rather than smoke it, brining can be the difference between dry tough tastelessness and heaven.

Just watch the reaction of my family to my roast pork versus my FiL. :D

Cold water, ice, kosher salt, sugar and pepper corns are my only constants. Apple cider, OJ, bay leaves, and whatever else is lying around might get thrown in. 12 hour minimum soak is also a constant.

If you are talking ribs, you are right, brining is pointless, but a picnic cut or butt gets help from a brine.

dando
10-10-12, 02:29 PM
Whoa there partner.

Especially if you do a big chunk of pork like a shoulder roast and even more especially if you roast it rather than smoke it, brining can be the difference between dry tough tastelessness and heaven.

Just watch the reaction of my family to my roast pork versus my FiL. :D

Cold water, ice, kosher salt, sugar and pepper corns are my only constants. Apple cider, OJ, bay leaves, and whatever else is lying around might get thrown in. 12 hour minimum soak is also a constant.

If you are talking ribs, you are right, brining is pointless, but a picnic cut or butt gets help from a brine.

To each their own. As a noted chef has said, pork fat rules. I never brine pork, and the results have always been great. Rub, low and slow....smoking or roasting. But yes, those are the basic ingredients for a brine. Salt, sugar, acid and aromatics of your choice.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
10-10-12, 05:37 PM
We agree. Pork fat rules :D. :thumbup:

KLang
10-12-12, 10:32 AM
Email blast today from Cookshack:

Use the promotion code HUNT12 to get FREE SHIPPING! Offer is good through October 17th on any Cookshack Residential Smoker Oven or Fast Eddy's by Cookshack Pellet Grill. Save up to $160.00!

G.
10-12-12, 01:17 PM
Email blast today from Cookshack:

Thanks!

Found this, from the CharcoalStore (http://www.charcoalstore.com/products/Cookshack-SM025/CH-SM025.html#) that still comes out cheaper by about $50.00. Free shipping as well.

G.
12-08-12, 03:36 PM
I am now a meat smoking cookshacker.

I bought the SM025. I have been going light on the wood, until I know more.

So far, an applewood chicken - wasn't a huge fan. Need to work on this one. 1 oz.
Turkey "breast" (rolled whitemeat in a sock) - Apple again, this was a compliment to the oven-roasted THX bird. 10/10, would cook again. :thumbup: 1 oz.

pig Ribs - Hickory (3 ozs.). 3 hrs. @ 225, then foil with more rub, honey and apple juice, 1.5 hrs at 225 in preheated gas oven, then sauce and quick broil. I am missing a couple of hours here. I was surprised at the lack of tenderness. They were great, don't get me wrong, but not even close to falling off the bone. Pig back ribs, not "baby", not overly meaty, and the foil pack DID steam. Membrane removed.

So how many more hours did I need? Dry or steam?

This wkend, I'm going to try smoked almonds.

Worchestershire, garlic powder, popcorn salt (just finely ground salt, not cheesey). Midway through, flip, spray with garlic juice, maybe more salt. I figure 225, 3 hours, 4 oz hickory.

Anyone try this? Not ready to play with chili powder on them (yet).
Some people brine them, many use sugars. Don't want to mess with that right now.

I just want smoky nuts. :)

dando
12-08-12, 04:48 PM
Generally apple wood is suggested for pork. Hickory and/or oak for beef and fowl. I sometimes mix multiple types of wood. I read on one smoking site that mesquite is not advised for smoking, but I use it lightly for beef. YMMV. Welcome to the club. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Dvdb
12-08-12, 05:06 PM
Funny, I was thinking about trying to smoke pistachios. Maybe perfect a recipe this winter and have something different to offer at the bbq shack next summer.

I also stopped at a new bbq place last week. Ribs were good, brisket was outstanding, but I think our pulled pork is much better. But they had a smoked chocolate chip cookie that looked interesting.

http://www.sugarfiresmokehouse.com/

Al Czervik
12-08-12, 06:50 PM
Get a meat thermometer. Most meats need to get to ~185 F for 'fall off the bone'. Tough to do, but a rest period (30 - 60 min) after cooking seems to help.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

I am now a meat smoking cookshacker.

I bought the SM025. I have been going light on the wood, until I know more.

So far, an applewood chicken - wasn't a huge fan. Need to work on this one. 1 oz.
Turkey "breast" (rolled whitemeat in a sock) - Apple again, this was a compliment to the oven-roasted THX bird. 10/10, would cook again. :thumbup: 1 oz.

pig Ribs - Hickory (3 ozs.). 3 hrs. @ 225, then foil with more rub, honey and apple juice, 1.5 hrs at 225 in preheated gas oven, then sauce and quick broil. I am missing a couple of hours here. I was surprised at the lack of tenderness. They were great, don't get me wrong, but not even close to falling off the bone. Pig back ribs, not "baby", not overly meaty, and the foil pack DID steam. Membrane removed.

So how many more hours did I need? Dry or steam?

Worchestershire, garlic powder, popcorn salt (just finely ground salt, not cheesey). Midway through, flip, spray with garlic juice, maybe more salt. I figure 225, 3 hours, 4 oz hickory.

Anyone try this? Not ready to play with chili powder on them (yet).
Some people brine them, many use sugars. Don't want to mess with that right now.

I just want smoky nuts. :)

G.
12-08-12, 06:58 PM
Get a meat thermometer. Most meats need to get to ~185 F for 'fall off the bone'. Tough to do, but a rest period (30 - 60 min) after cooking seems to help.

Damn, now I'm hungry.
They had plenty of rest. It's the cook time that needed to be adjusted (I think). I didn't check temp, just used the clock.

Note: Worchestershire should not be used as the wetting agent for almonds. IMO. Halfway done.

dando
12-08-12, 07:18 PM
They had plenty of rest. It's the cook time that needed to be adjusted (I think). I didn't check temp, just used the clock.

Note: Worchestershire should not be used as the wetting agent for almonds. IMO. Halfway done.

G, for ribs, what I have to work best is to smoke them for ~3 hours, get them out of the smoker, put them in an oven bag then wrap in foil and put in the oven for another hour or two. The last three times I have made them like this, they were fall off the bone tender, and were much better than just in the smoker. They really need a few ours of smoke. Pulled pork is better done in the smoker for much, much longer...~12 hours depending on the size of the butt.

This was the inspiration for using this approach for ribs:

bFI7BXPZVl0

-Kevin

KLang
12-08-12, 07:43 PM
Some of us think 'falling off the bone' is over done. :)

I always use baby backs. The ones I buy are meatier than most.

3 hours at 225, than I spray with a mix of Cider Vinegar, Apple Cider and Worcestershire sauce every 30 minutes for about 2 hours more until the meat is pulling back from the ends of the rib.

Cookshack purists will say to never open door but we prefer the texture of ribs cooked this way, a little more crust and chew. Baby backs should cook in 4 hours at 225 without opening the door. Spare ribs should take 5 hours.

Butt is different, I cook at 225 until the temp is 190-195 without peeking. Normally takes about 18 hours. Wrap in foil and towels and rest in a cooler for several hours. Perfection. :D

G.
12-08-12, 08:09 PM
pig Ribs - Hickory (3 ozs.). 3 hrs. @ 225, then foil with more rub, honey and apple juice, 1.5 hrs at 225 in preheated gas oven

I thought 4.5 hrs. would be good. When I checked them, it was time to eat, whether they were charcoal or still oinking. Still pretty tight to the bone.

Maybe they were dog or something. :D

Butt is different, I cook at 225 until the temp is 190-195 without peeking. Normally takes about 18 hours. Wrap in foil and towels and rest in a cooler for several hours. Perfection. How big? Do you dig out the gland-thing that sometimes hides in there?

What the difference for pig butt, shoulder, pick-a-nick?

I want to do a pig chunk and a brisket by Christmas...

KLang
12-08-12, 08:22 PM
I thought 4.5 hrs. would be good. When I checked them, it was time to eat, whether they were charcoal or still oinking. Still pretty tight to the bone.

Maybe they were dog or something. :D

How big? Do you dig out the gland-thing that sometimes hides in there?

What the difference for pig butt, shoulder, pick-a-nick?

I want to do a pig chunk and a brisket by Christmas...

I suspect your spares might just need a little more time.

Butt is actually part of the shoulder. Not sure where the name Boston Butt comes from. I'm sure Alton would know. :cool:

What I normally see here are about 8 pounds, bone in. I've never done anything to butt other than dry rub, nothing to remove that I've run across. I usually cook several and freeze the leftovers.

I don't do brisket as much as butt but I think brisket usually takes a similar amount of time. Problem is sometimes a particular piece of meat just takes longer to cook. I always try to leave my self plenty of time. Most of this stuff can rest for hours if needed.

dando
12-08-12, 08:43 PM
I suspect your spares might just need a little more time.

Butt is actually part of the shoulder. Not sure where the name Boston Butt comes from. I'm sure Alton would know. :cool:

What I normally see here are about 8 pounds, bone in. I've never done anything to butt other than dry rub, nothing to remove that I've run across. I usually cook several and freeze the leftovers.

I don't do brisket as much as butt but I think brisket usually takes a similar amount of time. Problem is sometimes a particular piece of meat just takes longer to cook. I always try to leave my self plenty of time. Most of this stuff can rest for hours if needed.

He did a Good Eats that mentioned the origin with his food anthropologist friend. Had to Google to refresh my memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_butt

Up north, they normally run in the ~5lb. range, which takes less time to cook. Also, folks up north generally like ribs that fall off the bone. BBQ is subjective depending on location and type (Carolina vs. KC style). It's like politics and religion...everyone has an opinion and opinions are like *******s...everybody has one. ;) I've made them both ways, and found the oven bag method better, or they turn out a bit tough. Unlike pork butt/shoulder, there's just not enough fat to moisturize the meet. It's like trying to smoke pork tenderloin...it doesn't come out well smoked. Another factor for me is what the DDs like. :)

-Kevin

dando
12-08-12, 08:46 PM
Some of us think 'falling off the bone' is over done. :)

Yeah, some of ya Texans think BBQ is roadkill wrapped in foil and placed on the pick 'em up truck engine. :p

Just like what y'all say about our Cincy Chili. :gomer:

-Kevin

G.
12-08-12, 09:03 PM
Yeah, some of ya Texans think BBG is roadkill wrapped in foil and placed on the pick 'em up truck engine. :p

Yeah, I think that's where they learned to do spices. Only so much you can do with armadillo.
;)

Just like what y'all say about our Cincy Chili. :gomer:

-Kevin

I always called that "spaghetti".

I really have no business starting a regional food fight. The highlight of my stomping ground cuisine is the Burgoo festival.
Sure. No roadkill in there. Riiiigght (http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/entertainment/15393486-421/pioneer-stew-drives-uticas-burgoo-festival.html)

dando
12-08-12, 09:15 PM
I really have no business starting a regional food fight. The highlight of my stomping ground cuisine is the Burgoo festival.
Sure. No roadkill in there. Riiiigght (http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/entertainment/15393486-421/pioneer-stew-drives-uticas-burgoo-festival.html)

I have found that talking BBQ is like discussing politics and religion....sometimes goes over like a fart in church. ;) I'm truly agnostic on the type...I just experiment to find what I like. I've had success and failures (like setting the rig on fire when I let the pan run empty and the piggy grease caused an inferno). :saywhat: There I was doing dishes, which overlooks the patio and the box looked like the shuttle ready for launch. I put that one out and sure enough it happened again a couple of hours later. :saywhat: I think some beverages might have been involved. :gomer:

-Kevin

G.
12-08-12, 09:49 PM
Do you dig out the gland-thing that sometimes hides in there?

What I normally see here are about 8 pounds, bone in. I've never done anything to butt other than dry rub, nothing to remove that I've run across.

Over at the cookshack forums they mention it. With pics.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2991028883/m/9951063983

Dvdb
12-09-12, 12:40 AM
"Some of us think 'falling off the bone' is over done"

Yep..........a rack of ribs should not fall off the bone.......you can make a mcrib with that crap.

What you want is something with some give. When you bit into them and pull away, you want to see the indentation on your teeth.

KLang
12-09-12, 10:27 AM
Over at the cookshack forums they mention it. With pics.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2991028883/m/9951063983

Some things maybe we shouldn't know. ;) I've never noticed anything like that when I'm pulling a butt. I do discard chunks of fat that haven't rendered.

dando
12-09-12, 11:03 AM
Some things maybe we shouldn't know. ;) I've never noticed anything like that when I'm pulling a butt. I do discard chunks of fat that haven't rendered.

Same here. News to me. The butts I get are usually well trimmed. Usually leave most of the fat on for flavor, and discard what hasn't rendered when I pull it.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-09-12, 12:12 PM
Butt is different, I cook at 225 until the temp is 190-195 without peeking. Normally takes about 18 hours. Wrap in foil and towels and rest in a cooler for several hours. Perfection. :DI use this method for almost any chunk of meat... Pork loin and roasts, turkey, brisket, big roaster chicken, ribs.

I start early and slow and get it to within about 10-5 degrees of where it is needed, then keep it in the cooler until it is closer to when I want to serve it. Then throw under the broiler, on the grill, or in a 500 degree oven to brown it up and finish it off. Takes all the pressure off worrying about keeping a hungry crowd waiting and always makes for the moistest tenderest result.

dando
12-09-12, 01:07 PM
G, BTW, if you haven't caught, Pitmasters is a show on Destination America (re-branded Discovery channel) that shows smoking competitions (think Iron Chef w/smoking). I catch it every so often and it's interesting to see the different techniques that are used.

-Kevin

chop456
12-10-12, 03:12 AM

Anyone try this?

I do almonds after taking the meat off. Toss in a bowl with light oil and Johnny's seasoned salt - that's it. Throw in another handful of chunks and put them in a perforated foil pan. A meat thermometer works great for DIY perforation. :gomer:

G.
12-10-12, 02:01 PM
I do almonds after taking the meat off. Toss in a bowl with light oil and Johnny's seasoned salt - that's it. Throw in another handful of chunks and put them in a perforated foil pan. A meat thermometer works great for DIY perforation. :gomer:

I would not use worchetershirshirshawsh again.

Wife: "These taste like sausage!"

:laugh::rofl::laugh:

That was when they were still roasting. Not sure how they are now, but early indications lead towards squirrel food. :gomer:

dando
12-12-12, 03:57 PM
"Some of us think 'falling off the bone' is over done"

Yep..........a rack of ribs should not fall off the bone.......you can make a mcrib with that crap.

What you want is something with some give. When you bit into them and pull away, you want to see the indentation on your teeth.

What's wrong with the McRib?

Bruce Hooley ‏@BHOOLZ
Five days to the return of the McRib. McDonalds sales jumped 9.8% per-store last year when it returned. PER-STORE! Insane

:gomer:

I've known to partake on a few of those back in the day. Chomp! :D

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-12-12, 07:09 PM
What's wrong with the McRib?

I've known to partake on a few of those back in the day. Chomp! :D

-KevinThey still serve them things with pickles? That sort of freaked me out.

dando
12-12-12, 07:27 PM
They still serve them things with pickles? That sort of freaked me out.

I've only had one in the past several years, but they still did then. I only visit McD's once or twice a year. Oddly it actually is pretty good with the pickles. Of course I'm a pickle fan...my favorite snack @ WDW is a giant pickle. Lo cal, no fat and filling. Hits the spot, and $2. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
12-12-12, 09:51 PM
I Oddly it actually is pretty good with the pickles. Of course I'm a pickle fan...Lots of vinegar in pickles. Same for BBQ sauce so maybe I get it.

I like a big crisp kosher dill and I like ribs. I might even put them on the same plate. I just wouldn't think to put them in the same sandwich. Then again I like to put potato chips in my pb&j sandwiches and it drives my wife nuts. Now Trevor is doing it.

dando
12-12-12, 10:17 PM
Lots of vinegar in pickles. Same for BBQ sauce so maybe I get it.

I like a big crisp kosher dill and I like ribs. I might even put them on the same plate. I just wouldn't think to put them in the same sandwich. Then again I like to put potato chips in my pb&j sandwiches and it drives my wife nuts. Now Trevor is doing it.

Well, being of slavic descent, one of my favorites is 'cucumber salad', which is simply sliced cukes with sliced red onion soaked in a mix of vinegar and water (~1:3). I pretty much serve that with every grilled meat during the summer. I was actually hoping to make our own pickles this past summer, but Mother Nature didn't cooperate and then other things went off the rails. :(

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/good-eats-dill-pickle-recipe/81545.html

I could make a meal of that salad, a good gazpacho and some crusty bread. :)

-Kevin

Don Quixote
12-27-12, 07:38 PM
Christmas dinner: Turkey breast, rib roast, and duck smoked for 7 hours on the smokey mountain in 15 degree weather with 4 inches of snow on the ground!

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a411/dddd5/IMG_0228small_zpsb66526fe.jpg

dando
12-27-12, 07:49 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup:

I must have missed my invite in the mail. ;)

-Kevin

G.
12-29-12, 12:01 PM
What are your thoughts on starting a Boston Butt on the smoker, then finishing in the oven? I don't want to run the electric overnight, in case of precipitation.

if I run the smoker for 6 or so hours, then shove into the oven, should I put it in a covered roaster with some water?

thanks.

KLang
12-29-12, 12:48 PM
What are your thoughts on starting a Boston Butt on the smoker, then finishing in the oven? I don't want to run the electric overnight, in case of precipitation.

if I run the smoker for 6 or so hours, then shove into the oven, should I put it in a covered roaster with some water?

thanks.

I don't think it would need much water, after only 6 hours there should still be a lot of fat to render out. Covered would be correct IMO but you will want a temperature probe in it too. Might want to use a rack in the bottom of the pan to keep it out of the fat.

Hope your oven is more accurate than mine at low temperature. :irked:

Al Czervik
12-29-12, 12:49 PM

thanks.

Shouldn't be a problem. By 6 hours the meat will have absorbed all the smoke its going to. Wrap it in foil, and put in the oven til done. You shouldn't need the roaster & water if wrapped. You will want to put a pan under the butt in case there is any leakage from the foil.

Dvdb
12-29-12, 01:26 PM
Yep.....we do it all the time at the shack. Smoker for 5-6 hours, wrap, and finish in the oven at low heat.

Elmo T
12-26-13, 10:11 AM
I've joined the club - Santa arrived with a 18.5" WSM (using the lingo :gomer:;) ).

So where do I start? I've been through the thread for the expert tips, but I am a novice.

The pork butts are cheap and probably fail proof?

KLang
12-26-13, 10:27 AM
Baby Back or spare ribs. Much shorter cooking time. Don't even need a temperature probe. Just look for the meat shrinking back from the bone ends.

stroker
12-26-13, 12:09 PM
Didn't smoke anything, but had a crockpot full of venison for Christmas dinner this year. That was different.

Andrew Longman
12-26-13, 12:22 PM
Smoked a pork loin roast yesterday. Brined it overnight with molasses, home grown fresh thyme, pepper corns and some other stuff. About three hours at 225 in a smoker with cherry wood, then browned it up in a 500 degree grill for a few minutes. I'm told it was awesome

I brine most pork and poultry. I did a turkey that way for thanksgiving.

Congrats Elmo. I am sure you deserve it. Santa is pretty much right about this stuff.

Lots of good advice here and on the inner webs in general. First rule is don't rush. Second rule is if you need to eat at a certain time give your self a few extra hours then take it off when it is done and wrap it in foil then a beach towel and put it in a cooler. Not only will the set time improve your product but it will stay warm for hours without applying more heat and be ready when you want it.

Ankf00
12-26-13, 12:48 PM
I've joined the club - Santa arrived with a 18.5" WSM (using the lingo :gomer:;) ).

So where do I start? I've been through the thread for the expert tips, but I am a novice.

http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/vp/image/1378/60/1378602015629.gif

indeed, pork butts are cheap and fail proof.

dando
12-26-13, 12:50 PM

Yes, cheap...but they take a long time to smoke all the way through (~12 hours depending on the size). I tended to smoke them for ~6-8 hours and finish in the oven. YMMV. I've done butts, ribs, whole chickens, pork loins, brisket...I tend to use the gas grill and planks for fish (mostly salmon). Some say that mesquite is not recommended for smoking. I use hickory, cherry and oak chunks. I also get the Stubbs charcoal from Lowe's to get the party started. :) Wally World, etc. also have remote temperature monitors to keep the temp consistent. That's the most difficult part of smoking (meat). That way you can mow the lawn and monitor the temp. :D

G.
12-26-13, 01:51 PM
Yes, but as klang points out, they take a LONG time. About the only way to mess it up is to try to rush it through.

I brine most pork and poultry. I did a turkey that way for thanksgiving.

Aren't most turkeys already brined when they reach the store?

Last time I tried to brine something bird-ish, it ended up like jerkey (and I even followed the salt/sugar ratio exactly).

Cookshack.com forum has a wealth of info, much of it is perfect for the beginner.

dando
12-26-13, 02:08 PM
Aren't most turkeys already brined when they reach the store?

Last time I tried to brine something bird-ish, it ended up like jerkey (and I even followed the salt/sugar ratio exactly).

Which is why you should purchase a fresh bird. We have a local meat market here (Carfagna's) that has local free-range birds. Those are the only birds I buy unless I am frying them. Brining is not a good idea for fried turkey (for obvious reasons).

KLang
12-26-13, 02:23 PM
My rib suggestion is intended as a confidence builder and an opportunity to learn your new smoker. Ribs should be done in 4 hours if cooked at 225.

My briskets and butts usually take about 18 hours in the Cookshack.

dando
12-26-13, 02:47 PM
My rib suggestion is intended as a confidence builder and an opportunity to learn your new smoker. Ribs should be done in 4 hours if cooked at 225.

My briskets and butts usually take about 18 hours in the Cookshack.

Agreed on the ribs being a good starter for newbies. Butts and briskets depend on the size, but to smoke small ones takes ~12 hours, which is why I shortcut and finish in the oven.

I have a neighbor that has a Green Egg, and there is a app for the iPhone that keeps track and alerts on the temp. He's a thoracic surgeon, so he can afford such toys. ;)

KLang
12-26-13, 03:03 PM
I don't have one but iGrill (http://idevicesinc.com/igrill/) looks pretty neat.

To Elmo, you will need a probe thermometer for smoking.

Don Quixote
12-26-13, 03:38 PM
Cowards. I say start big. Wait until you have invited a bunch of people over: friends, neighbors, family and strangers. Then smoke something huge like a full brisket or a giant pork roast or turkey. Extreme stress and pressure makes the best chefs!

Andrew Longman
12-26-13, 04:15 PM
Agreed on the thrill of going big. For thanksgiving I do at least three birds and start about four a.m.. About 30-40 people come over. Tending to the birds is a nice reason to avoid having to socialize too much and the satisfaction of having it all work is enormous. ( this year I threw in needing to build a table too :))

I do always brine them, even when I go cheap and get the free shop rite frozen turkey, and they are always great. About a cup of sugar and salt to the gallon plus whatever juice and spice I have hanging around and feel like using.

dando
12-26-13, 08:26 PM
Cowards. I say start big. Wait until you have invited a bunch of people over: friends, neighbors, family and strangers. Then smoke something huge like a full brisket or a giant pork roast or turkey. Extreme stress and pressure makes the best chefs!

Fixed. :gomer:

Keep in mind we're dealing with a Phillytard here. Plus, I'm not sure if he has the skillz to put out a fire on the rig like I did to mine twice. ;) Pork fat + fire + low water pan == bad poopie. :saywhat: Hence why I learned to keep and extra pitcher of H2O nearby to refresh the water pan.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/igrill/id400796680?mt=8

http://idevicesinc.com/igrill/

G.
12-27-13, 01:55 AM
I don't have one but iGrill (http://idevicesinc.com/igrill/) looks pretty neat.

To Elmo, you will need a probe thermometer for smoking.

But it's bluetooth. :confused::(

If it connected to the wifi, I'd grab one at $80.00.

KLang
12-27-13, 08:25 AM
But it's bluetooth. :confused::(

If it connected to the wifi, I'd grab one at $80.00.

It says the range on smaller is 150 feet or 200 for the fancier one. No idea if that is realistic.

Elmo T
01-12-14, 06:56 PM
First try with the smoker today. Two racks of ribs with hickory.

A little windier than I'd like - might have factored into the trouble I had getting it up to temperature. I started with regular Kingdford charcoal and used a charcoal starter. Directions called for only 50 briquets. Did not look like near enough!

Once hot, I dumped into the smoker and it was clearly not enough. I could barely get the thing to about 150F after 45 min. Opened back up and loaded the ring in the smoker nearly full. Got me up to 250F.

Directions called for 3 medium sized chunks of wood then add 2 later. Those were consumed quickly. Not sure if I was supposed to let it ride or reload. I loaded more wood - maybe 5 more medium sized pieces and some smaller ones as well.

Had to keep adding charcoal to maintain temperature.

Finally checked the ribs at the 4 hour mark. (Directions call for 4-6 hours) Ribs had a nice crust but the meat wasn't pulled bacl as much as I would have expected. Some of the bones twisted easily so I figured they were done. Checked and they were done.

Brought them in and gave them a quick coating of BBQ sauce and tossed them in oven while my potato and onion casserole finished - 10 min tops.

The ribs tasted very good actually. Maybe a bit on the dry side.

Clearly a steep learning curve ahead.

KLang
01-12-14, 07:24 PM
I had an old Brinkman water smoker similar to the WSM. I would fill the bottom of the charcoal pan with unlit charcoal and top if off with lit. Did you start out with it all lit?

Elmo T
01-12-14, 07:35 PM
Yes - I filled the charcoal starter up with the 50 briquets (almost full) and got them hot. Dumped those in the smoker to start. Later added more unlit to bring up the temp.

Dvdb
01-12-14, 08:28 PM
Dry rub them?

dando
01-12-14, 08:29 PM
Yes, grasshopper, wind is not your friend when smoking. Makes temp control very difficult..especially in cooler temps. My first turkey was carved and then sauted. :\ Some :flaming: on me for this this, but I smoke the ribs, put them in an oven bag and finish them in the oven for ~30 minutes. Keeps them moist...especially for the kiddies. Also, I start with the charcoal starter full (if not over the top), and have a backup ready, but that's me and my cheap-ass smoker. :saywhat:

Elmo T
01-12-14, 08:41 PM
Yes - did have a dry rub.

I will have to reload the charcoal starter once I get the first batch hot.

Considering it was the first try - I deem it a success with room to grow. :thumbup:

chop456
01-13-14, 02:25 AM
Yes - I filled the charcoal starter up with the 50 briquets (almost full) and got them hot. Dumped those in the smoker to start. Later added more unlit to bring up the temp.

Like KLang said - fill the ring with unlit briquets. Top that off with a chimney full of hot ones and it should get up to temp fairly quickly. The Weber chimney starter works better simply because it's bigger. Go get one or make your own. The $10 hardware store model isn't big enough.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

Elmo T
01-13-14, 07:33 AM
I have the Weber starter. Followed the Weber instructions that came with the unit called for 50 briquettes for ribs and this barely made a single layer of charcoal in the smoker. :rolleyes:

All good for the first try. :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
01-13-14, 09:02 AM
I think you will find having it fully up to temp is less important than giving it all the time it needs.

200-225 is fine. On colder windy days like this past weekend maybe less than ideal but ok if you add biquettes along the way. But more time is actually more important to get the fall off the bone juicy experience than full heat. Time is what's necessary for the meat to do the transformational thing and it will actually get dry before it gets juicy.

G.
05-10-14, 05:41 PM
THE MEAT COSTS TOO DAMN MUCH!

The family likes beef, a lot. The kids can eat a ****-ton in a sitting.

Prices suck these days (and get offa my lawn!).

What's your favorite way to turn tough old cows into deliciousness?

About the only beef I can buy for cheap is chuck roast and eye of round.

Not a huge fan of pot roast, but willing to try.

Took an eye roast last weekend, spiced it in the usual way, roast at 500 deg F for 8 mins/lbs., then shut the oven "off" and let it sit for 3 hours. (since I have a vented gas oven, I turned it down to 200 and let it sit.)

Turned out very good. I recommend trying this. Sliced it thin after it cooled, now good for sammiches and Italian beef.

What's your favorite ways to prepare some rougher cuts of beef?

Also, can anyone recommend a decent meat slicer for a reasonable price? I wouldn't expect to use it more than a handful of times a year, but the one I got is destined for a garage sale. It would be just as convenient to travel to a far-off craftsman, have him pound out a custom Damascus blade, as it is to use the stump-maker that I have.

KLang
05-10-14, 06:53 PM
What's your favorite ways to prepare some rougher cuts of beef?

For tougher stuff like chuck you want to braise, low heat and a little moisture. Here is one I've made recently, it's even pretty good for you: Beef Daube Provenal (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/beef-daube-provenal-10000000780341/)

Brisket, if you can find it, on the smoker is another good economical choice.

stroker
05-10-14, 11:19 PM
Can't afford beef.

dando
05-11-14, 04:39 AM
Beef prices are getting extreme. I priced T-bones the other day @ $12.99/lb. Used to be half that. :saywhat: I second the brisket suggestion.

TravelGal
05-11-14, 11:37 AM
Eat less beef. Your cardiologist will thank you. We've cut our portion size noticeably, adding more potato and other fixin's. Now the hamburgers actually fit on the bun. ;)

G.
05-11-14, 12:25 PM
I can find brisket (us northerners can find it at any grocery store), but it's approaching steak prices. Or, what steak used to cost. Haven't tried brisket since the last jerky fiasco :D - time to try again, At $7-$8/lbs.

Typical Choice or even Select cuts now cost what Prime used to be at the boutique butcher shop.

Ankf00
05-11-14, 01:06 PM
brisket at restaurant depot in Pittsburgh ran me $3.75/ yesterday, about $0.50 more expensive than a few months back. don't really buy steaks, but I think in Feb, prime dry aged bone-in ribs cost something around $18/ at whole foods.

I usually just buy animals that oink.

KLang
05-11-14, 01:21 PM
Trimmed brisket at the local HEB was about $4 a pound this morning. I didn't see any larger less trimmed but I would expect they would be a lot less.

G, do you have a Sam's Club or Costco nearby? Whole briskets should be pretty reasonable there.

cameraman
09-24-16, 02:52 PM
It's approaching the Thanksgiving season but nope I'll go vegan before I get behind this...

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtIy28LUAAAetMn.jpg:large

SteveH
09-24-16, 03:01 PM
turocthen?

cameraman
09-24-16, 03:05 PM
more like turWTFen...

G.
09-24-16, 03:13 PM
It's approaching the Thanksgiving season but nope I'll go vegan before I get behind this...

There's aseries of these photos, I think. It's really just a whole bunch more of the same.

Not entirely sure what the point of it is - it might be to promote veganism, tbh. (If so, I guess it's effective.)