PDA

View Full Version : Making Cleveland Better

Pages : 1 [2]

Rick
06-30-05, 10:16 AM
Not sure if this is on topic or not ? Transportation, or making Cleveland better ? I would like it if you could walk completely around the course. I would like to see the cars coming out of 1, and spend some time at the carrousel. I guess I got the close parking with my tickets because I was there all 3 days ? Anyway, that was very nice, being on a motorcycle made it even better, they let me park right by the ticket booth, next to the fence. Only gripe of the weekend (my brothers, not mine) was the lack of shade. In previous years we would take our chances of spilled beer and cig. butts by going under the bleachers between events. They could put up some more tents, or "misting stations" to help keep cool.
I had a great time as I always do !
Rick

Stu
06-30-05, 10:17 AM
Walking around the track or having stands on the other side of the track would be cool.

Sean O'Gorman
06-30-05, 10:40 AM
Stu, why don't you point out some of the things you did like at the event and how they could take advantage of those to increase attendence?

TKGAngel
06-30-05, 12:29 PM
Not sure if this is on topic or not ? Transportation, or making Cleveland better ? I would like it if you could walk completely around the course. I would like to see the cars coming out of 1, and spend some time at the carrousel. I guess I got the close parking with my tickets because I was there all 3 days ? Anyway, that was very nice, being on a motorcycle made it even better, they let me park right by the ticket booth, next to the fence. Only gripe of the weekend (my brothers, not mine) was the lack of shade. In previous years we would take our chances of spilled beer and cig. butts by going under the bleachers between events. They could put up some more tents, or "misting stations" to help keep cool.
I had a great time as I always do !
Rick

CARA Charities was sponsoring a track walk with the drivers on Saturday night. $10 to walk, with proceeds going to charity. Sure, the heat might not have been the greatest thing to deal with on that day, but it still was a cool idea.

The Champions Club would have been better with some fans or something inside to move the air, and a port-a-potty so you didn't have to walk and then wait for the wristband police to readmit you. But for the first time, they did great.

Looking at the post-race traffic, I think the Cleveland police should be commended for their orderly command of the roads. Traffic - both pedestrian and vehicle - was kept moving with minimal waits. Of course, if more people took advantage of near track parking, there would be more complaining about the absurdly long waits to get the heck out of the area.

I don't know if it would be feasible to put stands on the side of the track near the lake. How close is the track to the water? And if the airport closes at 6a or so on Friday morning, how quickly would they be able to erect a bridge or something to get people to the other side?

And to someone who commented about the Miss Indy girls, I agree that there were not many coventionally pretty women, most had a cheap look about them. There was one that was constantly in a "posed" position during the autograph session - she looked like she was impaled on a stick or something. Bothered the heck out of me, since she didn't look like she was having fun, which is what a contest like that should be about.

Napoleon
06-30-05, 12:37 PM
I don't know if it would be feasible to put stands on the side of the track near the lake. How close is the track to the water?

Very in places. It is not currently feasible. In fact most of what you see on the other side is fill that is only a few years old.

Stu
06-30-05, 12:48 PM
When I was there, I kept thinking how great it would be to sit between the two runways, just after turn 1, facing East. That way, the sun is right above you or at your back, you are closer to the lake, you see all the action on pit road, the start finish line, and you are closer to turn 1. Its also nearby the common areas and entrances.

If they needed to add seats because of demand, I think that would be a great place for it.

Sean O'Gorman
06-30-05, 12:56 PM
When I was there, I kept thinking how great it would be to sit between the two runways, just after turn 1, facing East. That way, the sun is right above you or at your back, you are closer to the lake, you see all the action on pit road, the start finish line, and you are closer to turn 1. Its also nearby the common areas and entrances.

If they needed to add seats because of demand, I think that would be a great place for it.

But you would have a worse view of the track.

TKGAngel
06-30-05, 01:30 PM

In the "infield" or on the outside of the turn? If you were outside the turn you could see down the whole track, not great, but still have a view. If it was in the middle infield area, then I don't think that would be too safe.

pferrf1
06-30-05, 01:36 PM

St. Petes had a grandstand in that position at turn one.

Rick
06-30-05, 02:08 PM
I can't see them adding any more grandstands where they will have to add concrete barriers. As I said, I would be happy to walk the outside perimeter of the track. Maybe some "mini grandstands" ( that an oxymoron ? ) like at Sebring in the middle of 2, adjacent to 3/4, and some around the carrousel. would be nice.
Rick

cameraman
06-30-05, 02:23 PM
They have to reopen the runway within hours of the end of the race.
Grandstand location is really limited by that.

Stu
06-30-05, 05:24 PM

It depends on how you see it. You would have a worse view of the overall track, but you would have a solid view of a particular section. They would have to sell the seats for less, but I'd sit there.

Again, thats a big if, they dont need to add grandstands as long as the current ones are not full.

Ankf00
07-01-05, 01:08 AM
Yea I complain at Browns games when I don't have good seats. So what I do is buy better seats. Why settle for what you have now when there can be better. Thats all I am saying, I think it can be improved, so look into it. Do me a favor though, next time you have good seats to a baseball game, give me a call, I'll buy the nosebleeds, and we can trade. Since you don't care.

why settle? Cuz I can't afford the 85K per year boxes with the decades long waiting list and the 100K foundation donation or the 50-100K per year donation prior to paying the season ticket prices to just be allowed to bid on those season tickets between the 40's in the first 10 rows? DKR's kinda popular like that :gomer: but hey, if you've got that kinda coin, njoy!

again, it's road racing, if not being able to observe the entire track at all times is a problem you're not going to like going to any street/road course that's not on a flat airport, of course having better seats is a good thing but you're just not going to get to view more than a section at most any road course

coolhand
07-01-05, 01:38 AM
again, it's road racing, if not being able to observe the entire track at all times is a problem you're not going to like going to any street/road course that's not on a flat airport, of course having better seats is a good thing but you're just not going to get to view more than a section at most any road course

when i went to the sonoma NASCAR race i was surprised that almost anywhere at that track you could see 80-95% of it.

The changes in elevation allow that. Also its a dust bowl, no trees.