PDA

View Full Version : How much is gas where you are?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

TrueBrit
09-25-06, 12:56 PM
$2.89 for premium here in the southwest Chicago 'burbs....Down from $3.53 a few weeks ago...Say, have you guys heard if there's an election or something coming up soon........?

chop456
09-25-06, 12:57 PM
Conspiracy therories are way more fun than supply and demand, aren't they? ;)

coolhand
09-25-06, 01:03 PM
damned if they lower the price damned if they don't

rabbit
09-25-06, 01:12 PM

:thumbup:

Ankf00
09-25-06, 01:19 PM
I blame it all you midwestern cornhumpers and your ethanol conspiracy.

I bet Nebraska's behind all of this :mad:

racer2c
09-25-06, 01:54 PM

All the same people I know are still driving to work today just like they did this summer. What was this 'demand'?

TrueBrit
09-25-06, 02:03 PM
All the same people I know are still driving to work today just like they did this summer. What was this 'demand'?

Thanks for asking that question. It seems to me that 'demand' has actually gone up since the end of summer what with all those pesky school buses that weren't being used for several months....plus all the schooltards showing off their new wheels, and the MILF's flashing their husbands money off in the form of yet another gas-guzzling SUV...

Yup, demand sure went down......

rabbit
09-25-06, 02:12 PM
Thanks for asking that question. It seems to me that 'demand' has actually gone up since the end of summer what with all those pesky school buses that weren't being used for several months....plus all the schooltards showing off their new wheels, and the MILF's flashing their husbands money off in the form of yet another gas-guzzling SUV...

:rolleyes: School buses run on diesel, which last I checked, hadn't gone down. (Not that I follow diesel prices closely.)

Thanks. Please play again sometime.

nrc
09-25-06, 02:17 PM
Who said it was all demand?

Distillate stocks, which include heating oil and diesel, are at their highest levels in seven years (when the price of oil was around $20 barrel). Gasoline supplies are 6.4 percent higher than a year ago. Crude oil inventories are in their upper range for this time of the year and well ahead of their five year average. And the economy appears to be slowing.

This from a guy who believes that "The Day After Tomorrow" is an imminent certainty if we don't ration gasoline to offset collapsing prices.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20060925/cm_huffpost/030166

racer2c
09-25-06, 02:26 PM
:rolleyes: School buses run on diesel, which last I checked, hadn't gone down. (Not that I follow diesel prices closely.)

Our county buses are older GM gas engined Bluebirds. Our city buses are Ford diesel.

JLMannin
09-25-06, 03:07 PM
1.97/gal here in Indy (Westside) and dropping like a rock over the last few weeks.

I think it is less actual supply and demand but more predicted supply and demand, i.e., the futures market.

Did you hear about the hedge fund that was betting heavily on natural gas prices going up and lost to the tune of $6,000,000,000.00?

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?guid=%7B30343AB0-77FD-4E66-8DEB-3114998DB178%7D

It is refreshing to see someone other than the bottom of the food chain feeling the sting of futures price manipulation.

WickerBill
09-25-06, 03:52 PM
...plus all the schooltards showing off their new wheels, and the MILF's flashing their husbands money off in the form of yet another gas-guzzling SUV...

Wow, now THERE is some quantifiable evidence. Lookit all those numbers! All that proof! ;)

dando
09-25-06, 04:00 PM
1.97/gal here in Indy (Westside) and dropping like a rock over the last few weeks.

I think it is less actual supply and demand but more predicted supply and demand, i.e., the futures market.

Did you hear about the hedge fund that was betting heavily on natural gas prices going up and lost to the tune of $6,000,000,000.00?

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?guid=%7B30343AB0-77FD-4E66-8DEB-3114998DB178%7D

It is refreshing to see someone other than the bottom of the food chain feeling the sting of futures price manipulation.
And I read this little tidbit last week:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003257679_oilconsumers14.html

:eek: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
09-25-06, 04:06 PM
and the MILF's flashing their husbands money off in the form of yet another gas-guzzling SUV...

what do you have against MILF's?! :saywhat:

MILF's are all that is good and right in America. I will not stand idly by as you make disparaging comments about a fine upstanding American institution!

oddlycalm
09-25-06, 05:17 PM
It is refreshing to see someone other than the bottom of the food chain feeling the sting of futures price manipulation. Absolutely. The implosion of the natural gas hedge funds as the market fell led to what turned what was a mild settling into a rapid free fall; from $15+ last December to less that $5.00 now. If estimates that there is $105 billion in speculation money floating the oil market are right we could see a correction down to the $30/bbl range with a lot of high flyers hitting the ground hard in the process....:cool:

oc

Ankf00
09-25-06, 05:22 PM
also, this can mean only good things for Southwest Airlines as their hedges are set to expire soon.

Southwest > the rest :thumbup:

racer2c
09-25-06, 05:52 PM
Absolutely. The implosion of the natural gas hedge funds as the market fell led to what turned what was a mild settling into a rapid free fall; from $15+ last December to less that $5.00 now. If estimates that there is $105 billion in speculation money floating the oil market are right we could see a correction down to the $30/bbl range with a lot of high flyers hitting the ground hard in the process....:cool:

oc

Does that mean I can get my HEMI Charger now? :cool:

Tony George
09-25-06, 06:05 PM
what do you have against MILF's?! :saywhat:

MILF's are all that is good and right in America. I will not stand idly by as you make disparaging comments about a fine upstanding American institution!

:rofl: :laugh:

Ankf00
09-25-06, 06:15 PM
Does that mean I can get my HEMI Charger now? :cool:

Is your name Cleetus? :gomer:

Stu
09-25-06, 06:57 PM

Ever hear of the summer driving season?

Turbodog
09-25-06, 07:09 PM
$2.01 in Baytown this afternoon

RHR_Fan
09-25-06, 07:17 PM
$2.35 in Madison today. About 5-6 weeks ago it was almost one dollar more.

~Nicole

cameraman
09-25-06, 07:21 PM
$2.79 this morning for regular. For some super secret reason Utah now has some of the most expensive gas in the nation when 6 months ago we had the cheapest :saywhat:

Even our oil company loving governor is on tv wondering wtf?

Ankf00
09-25-06, 07:28 PM
$2.01 in Baytown this afternoon

Slumming with the oil boys huh? :saywhat: :p

racer2c
09-25-06, 07:34 PM
Ever hear of the summer driving season?

Yeah! That's when the whole country gets in their cars and drives too MickyLand on July 4rth.:gomer:

So, tell me about this mythical media invented "driving season".:confused:

B3RACER1a
09-25-06, 07:42 PM
Was a 1.99 last week, then in a span of a few hours everyone jumped to $2.29. :confused:

Anyways, 2.05 right now, was 2.15 this morning.

oddlycalm
09-25-06, 09:29 PM
$2.79 this morning for regular. For some super secret reason Utah now has some of the most expensive gas in the nation when 6 months ago we had the cheapest :saywhat:

Even our oil company loving governor is on tv wondering wtf? Don't feel too lonely, ours are the same as yours. AFAIK, the entire west is similar.

oc

racer2c
09-25-06, 09:39 PM
$1.97 today. I like.

Sean O'Gorman
09-25-06, 10:06 PM
I blame it all you midwestern cornhumpers and your ethanol conspiracy.

I bet Nebraska's behind all of this :mad:

Ugh, ethanol. That I had to put some of that crap in my car in Indianapolis and Missouri and it felt like someone removed a motor mount. :yuck:

Stu
09-25-06, 10:10 PM
Yeah! That's when the whole country gets in their cars and drives too MickyLand on July 4rth.:gomer:

So, tell me about this mythical media invented "driving season".:confused:

media invented? :rolleyes:

http://www.oppi-bipp.gc.ca/faq/faq1_e.cfm

There’s an increase in demand during warmer weather. Typically demand increases by 25% during the summer driving season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/27/business/27gasoline.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5090&en=a271f6489003d835&ex=1306382400&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

By Labor Day, drivers will have logged more than 800 billion miles, or 8.6 billion miles a day, and will have consumed 36 billion gallons of fuel crisscrossing the United States, according to the Energy Department.

A third of all leisure travel takes place in the summer. This season, Americans will take 326 million trips, according to the Travel Industry Association, essentially the same as last year. The trade group expects Americans to spend $1,000 on each trip, but travelers are expected to save money on hotels, food and dining to make up for the higher gasoline expense.

For an 800-mile round trip, the average during the summer, the extra cost of paying a dollar more a gallon at the pump adds up to $40 for a vehicle that gets 20 miles a gallon.

"People are not going to cancel their trips, but what they might do is modify them," said Cathy Keefe, a spokeswoman for the Travel Industry Association. "Instead of taking three or four trips over the summer, people will look for ways to save money, such as staying closer to home."

http://cbs5.com/reference/local_story_256190438.html

Gasoline consumption typically rises during the summer because more people are on the road during the "summer driving season." For example, in 2003 and 2004, daily gasoline demand rose 9 percent and 7 percent, respectively, when you compare consumption in January to August.

coolhand
09-26-06, 12:50 AM
I have never seen gas below 2.00 for as long as i can remember in CA

TrueBrit
09-26-06, 09:21 AM

What about the rest of the statement jenius?....:gomer:

TrueBrit
09-26-06, 09:23 AM
Who said it was all demand?

This from a guy who believes that "The Day After Tomorrow" is an imminent certainty if we don't ration gasoline to offset collapsing prices.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20060925/cm_huffpost/030166

Yeah cos global warming is a myth right?:shakehead

racer2c
09-26-06, 09:34 AM
media invented? :rolleyes:

http://www.oppi-bipp.gc.ca/faq/faq1_e.cfm

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/27/business/27gasoline.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5090&en=a271f6489003d835&ex=1306382400&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

http://cbs5.com/reference/local_story_256190438.html

9% and 7%!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, there ya go! That justifies a 35% increase in the cost of gas!:gomer:
I can't wait until next summer so I can drive around more!

Ankf00
09-26-06, 10:34 AM
9% and 7%!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, there ya go! That justifies a 35% increase in the cost of gas!:gomer:
why shouldn't it? is there something inherently cheaper about summer gas?

what increase in price should correlate to a 9% increase in demand since you seem to know?

racer2c
09-26-06, 11:30 AM
why shouldn't it? is there something inherently cheaper about summer gas?

what increase in price should correlate to a 9% increase in demand since you seem to know?

Since you're getting snippy about it...One, that article is about California. Californian's think they are the center of the universe but that hardly counts.
Second, if you read the second paragraph after the 9 and 7 percent reference you will see that the prices go up (at least in CA), not simply due to increase in demand but, well, here read it yourself...

Refineries prepare for this increased summertime demand typically by doing their routine maintenance December through March. Refineries reduce their gasoline production to perform maintenance and change over to summer blend gasoline during what are called "turnarounds." Refiners typically build inventories or arrange for fuel imports to take them through this turnaround period when production at the refinery fluctuates.

If turnarounds take longer than expected, or if unexpected problems occur anytime during the year, gasoline supplies can run short, causing temporary but sharp price increases.

Third, as someone who spent 13 years commuting 120 miles a day into DC I can assure you that traffic increase is 50% greater the day school is back in session and on throughout the Fall/Winter than anytime during the summer. This on I95, the major east coast corridor that would reflect “summer driving” as well.
Also, world affairs will cause the price of crude to jump in a matter of hours which translates to significant increases at the pump within days as we witnessed this year
Hey, but what do I know…I’m not a biologist/engineer…gasoline consumption eggspert.

Summer driving indeed.

:rolleyes:

Ankf00
09-26-06, 11:49 AM
you're right, you're the commuter expert :tony:

Whenever anything comes up with regard to higher gas prices to you it's always some concocted myth. Don't bring up "world events" and refinery maintenance after your above post of "9% and 7%!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, there ya go! That justifies a 35% increase in the cost of gas!" about pricing. Your post shows that it's not about the different factors affecting pricing but that it's all bunk in your eyes. Hurricanes come through nailing all gulf production and the companies are suddenly "gouging" in your eyes b/c gas hits $3.00+. Now it's the mythical "driving season." I think AAA might disagree with you on that one, but hey, what does AAA know, they're not I-95 commuters :gomer: (but seriously, how the hell do you tolerate that much commuting with I-95 traffic? :eek: )

I dislike 3 buck gas, I dislike quick spikes & snailpaced price lowering. But it's the way the business is run *shrug* On the other hand when the gas refiners had excess capacity in the 90's and were losing money no one cried for them or cared what was going on, hey, we had $1.00 gas!

Now if someone wants to bitch about all the mergers & acquisitions in the industry limiting the # of suppliers per region thereby allowing a few refiners to maintain pricing as they wish w/o risk of anyone undercutting them, well then I'm all for that :)

WickerBill
09-26-06, 12:41 PM
It's funny looking back at those cute gas station signs that, about two years ago, read "1.39, ARM, LEG".

I'd be happy to pay that "arm and a leg" now.

http://www.ilovebacon.com/070406/159.jpg

RichK
09-26-06, 12:46 PM
Californian's think they are the center of the universe but that hardly counts.

We think that because we are. :\

racer2c
09-26-06, 12:53 PM
you're right, you're the commuter expert

Whenever anything comes up with regard to higher gas prices to you it's always some concocted myth. Don't bring up "world events" and refinery maintenance after your above post of "9% and 7%!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, there ya go! That justifies a 35% increase in the cost of gas!" about pricing. Your post shows that it's not about the different factors affecting pricing but that it's all bunk in your eyes. Hurricanes come through nailing all gulf production and the companies are suddenly "gouging" in your eyes b/c gas hits $3.00+. Now it's the mythical "driving season." I think AAA might disagree with you on that one, but hey, what does AAA know, they're not I-95 commuters :gomer: (but seriously, how the hell do you tolerate that much commuting with I-95 traffic?

I dislike 3 buck gas, I dislike quick spikes & snailpaced price lowering. But it's the way the business is run *shrug* On the other hand when the gas refiners had excess capacity in the 90's and were losing money no one cried for them or cared what was going on, hey, we had $1.00 gas!

Now if someone wants to bitch about all the mergers & acquisitions in the industry limiting the # of suppliers per region thereby allowing a few refiners to maintain pricing as they wish w/o risk of anyone undercutting them, well then I'm all for that :)

Take a deep breath there cowboy. Let's step back for just a sec. People drive where and when they need/want to drive. They paid 1.98, 2.21, 2.75, 3.12~ and yet with that increase we're told demand still increased especially during the "summer driving months". So how much does a gallon need to rise in order for people to decrease their consumption?
Maybe the govt should apply a $5 'global warming' tax on each gallon. $7 a gallon gas might start people thinking about not doing all that extra driving during the summer that I'm told they are doing.
Side note, at least in my little world I can't remember the last time someone I know told me they were packing the family into the ol' SUV and headin' off on a trip like we used too back when I was a kid when packing the station wagon and headin’ to the mountains was a summer tradition. Now everyone flies. They fly to FL, they fly to the Caribbean, they fly to Hawaii etc.
My original point, which is rather insignificant in light of all the other 'major factors' that affect rising gas costs, is that "summer driving months" is an antiquated concept that is still used as an excuse by various entities.

Senator Urges FTC Investigation of Refining Capacity

As gas prices jumped 28.5 cents a gallon in the last three weeks alone, today U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer called on the Federal Government to ensure that oil companies don’t intentionally drive up prices before the summer months to increase their bottom line. Today Schumer sent a letter to the Federal Trade Commission to urge them to closely monitor refining capacity and prices, which could rise even more as more Americans increase their travel this spring and summer. The Senator expressed concern that some companies may be keeping some of their refineries offline while they switch to the summer fuel blends – making gasoline more expensive. Though production always goes down as oil companies switch to their summer fuel blends, for the last 5 years production has been higher at this time than it is now.

In general, after oil companies switch to producing their summer blends refineries typically operate at or above 90%. This is a regular occurrence, but for the past five years refineries returned to that level of operation more quickly than they have this year.. This year however, refining capacity is still hovering at 85% which leads some experts to believe that the oil companies may be dragging this along to drive up prices.Link (http://www.senate.gov/~schumer/SchumerWebsite/pressroom/press_releases/2006/PR123.Upstate%20Gas%20FTC.041806.html)

Oil companies accused of manipulating prices while making record profits? Hell no! $3.00 a gallon is cuz ma and pa are drivin' to teh kidz to da beach.:gomer: Sure, whatever you say.

If four years in college makes one a biologist, then 13 years of commuting makes one a commutologist.:gomer:

Ankf00
09-26-06, 01:06 PM
there have been over 20 federal investigations into oil companies regarding collusion and not one has turned up a shred of evidence.

keep on keeping on :gomer:

racer2c
09-26-06, 01:12 PM
there have been over 20 federal investigations into oil companies regarding collusion and not one has turned up a shred of evidence.

keep on keeping on :gomer:

Of course not. I already told you why gas was over $3.00 a gallon. 'member Ma and Pa summer driver?:)

chop456
09-26-06, 01:13 PM
Do you honestly think that there's no increase in demand for gasoline during the summer?

Ankf00
09-26-06, 01:29 PM
Do you honestly think that there's no increase in demand for gasoline during the summer?

No, the increase in demand is during both semesters of school only. No one takes roadtrips to state parks every other weekend to go canoeing or hiking or camping anymore. They fly in their new personal HondaJets instead. It's VOTL capable so it can park neatly in the width of 3 campsites. :gomer:

-this message brought to you by HondaJet

dando
09-26-06, 01:32 PM
Side note, at least in my little world I can't remember the last time someone I know told me they were packing the family into the ol' SUV and headin' off on a trip like we used too back when I was a kid when packing the station wagon and headin’ to the mountains was a summer tradition. Now everyone flies. They fly to FL, they fly to the Caribbean, they fly to Hawaii etc.
My original point, which is rather insignificant in light of all the other 'major factors' that affect rising gas costs, is that "summer driving months" is an antiquated concept that is still used as an excuse by various entities.

I drove to OCNJ in the Jeep with the missus and two kids in July, and we're headed to Hilton Head next week. That's 9-10 hours and 10-12 hours driving because flights would cost ~$1K for the whole bunch, plus the airlines are charging premium price$ for flights in the late AM and afternoon. We would need to get a flight @ 6/7am to get a 'decent' fare, AND I would need to drive 45 min to an hour to Dayton to get a better fare than flying out of Cbus. :saywhat: The same goes for my brother and sister in law who also drove to OCNJ and then to the Outer Banks. So, in my little word, peeps do drive rather than fly due to the co$t.

-Kevin

Stu
09-26-06, 01:41 PM
my future in-laws took a vacation 2 summers ago where they hit nashville, some place in florida, hilton head, and somewhere else.

my future in-laws cousins all drove to cleveland for a mini vacation a little over a month ago.

except when I go to vegas, all of my traveling is in the summer, because its to see teh Indians play in Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Cincy.

my mom drove to Vegas at the begining of the summer to leave the car out there at the condo. She would not made that trip cross country in the winter.

my neighbors drove to florida earlier this year, and somewhere in michigan.

so thats 5 separate stories to add to the list.

nrc
09-26-06, 02:00 PM
Some of this discussion is just silly. The recent price spike wasn't a single factor on either the supply or demand side, it was a combination factors including demand, supply shocks and speculative oil prices. Moreover, it's based on worldwide demand, not just U.S. demand. One of the stories I linked earlier pointed out that the higher than expected inventories that are depressing pricess now are in part because of lower than expected use in China.

RHR_Fan
01-19-07, 01:35 PM
Gas is now $1.98. It's been almost three years since gas was under $2 around here.

~Nicole

Andrew Longman
01-19-07, 01:51 PM
2.149 down the street.

Here's a neat site http://autos.msn.com/everyday/GasStations.aspx?m=1&l=1&zip=08825&x=14&y=8

racermike
01-19-07, 01:53 PM
Filled up with Plus at Arco this morning (cheapest), for $2.71/g

WickerBill
01-19-07, 02:51 PM
$1.81, Meijer Southport Road, Indy.

Ankf00
01-19-07, 03:00 PM
2.0399, Shell, Grand Prairie, TX

Elmo T
01-19-07, 03:35 PM
$2.31 for Regular at Wawa... Philly Burbs

Gnam
01-19-07, 04:51 PM
$two fiddy nine and holding. Diesel is closer to $3.

cameraman
01-19-07, 04:57 PM
$2.21 for Chevron regular in downtown Salt Lake City.

KLang
01-19-07, 05:23 PM
$2.twentysomething for premium.

diamond dave
01-19-07, 05:27 PM
broke under the $2 barrier in Milwaukee
but it's at a Citgo:thumdown: so I'll wait for the other too follow suit

WickerBill
01-19-07, 05:42 PM
Aaaand, as I type that at work, I come home to find Meijer at 2.10 now. Oh well.

Stu
01-19-07, 06:06 PM
I thought the election was over, why are prices still falling? :saywhat:

CART 500
01-19-07, 06:38 PM
$1.89 in N.W. Indiana:thumbup:

Don Quixote
01-19-07, 08:11 PM
Buck ninety-nine at Safeway in suburbs north of Denver. :thumbup:

cart7
01-19-07, 08:14 PM
$1.89 south of St. Louis

grungex
01-19-07, 08:16 PM
$2.24 today at a Shell station in the SW suburbs of Chicago...

Ozarkian
01-19-07, 08:57 PM
$1.87 in south Kansas City, $1.92 on the Kansas side of the metro.

Lizzerd
01-19-07, 10:29 PM
$1.949 today!

meadors
01-19-07, 11:21 PM
MFR

emjaya
01-19-07, 11:46 PM
Aus $1.00/Lt which, I think, works out about US $2.85/gallon. :irked:

Easy
01-19-07, 11:50 PM
I thought the election was over, why are prices still falling? :saywhat:

Crude prices are falling on the commodities markets, OPEC members aren't toeing the line... for the moment.

Cam
01-20-07, 12:29 AM
Aus $1.00/Lt which, I think, works out about US $2.85/gallon. :irked:

Holy ****! When I was back there it was around $1.30! Did they actually let it come back down? :saywhat:

manic mechanic
01-20-07, 01:26 AM
$2.339 at some Arco/BP stations around here.

Wholesale outlets are about the same, and big brands are still in the $2.40s around here for base (87) grade.

manic

Bob_S.
01-20-07, 01:49 AM
Well, I always figure it takes about 30-35 bucks.
First, you need to find a good Mexican restaurant that serves beer.
Then again, there's always a strong pot of coffee and a can of beans.
What was the question, again?:confused:

manic mechanic
01-20-07, 02:06 AM
Well, I always figure it takes about 30-35 bucks.
First, you need to find a good Mexican restaurant that serves beer.
Then again, there's always a strong pot of coffee and a can of beans.
What was the question, again?:confused:

A good Mexican restaurant...dime a dozen.

TJ's coffee..~1.50 a pot
Can of beans.. .99 cents at the market owned by the same mexican that owns the restaurant,

$33 for the good Tequila...PRICELESS!!!! (if you know where to shop) :D

manic :p

Stu
01-20-07, 10:33 AM
Crude prices are falling on the commodities markets, OPEC members aren't toeing the line... for the moment.

I know I was joking. Look a few pages back.

Easy
01-20-07, 11:47 AM
I know I was joking. Look a few pages back.

Sorry, late to the party on this one.

race chica
01-20-07, 12:00 PM
$2.36 in Maryland DC subs.

ChampcarShark
01-22-07, 12:09 PM
Good news for the far far west part of Texas.

Gas prices $1.92 at the local sam's club. $2.05 everywhere else.

Now in the city of crosses (Las Cruces, NM); their gas prices are cheaper in the $1.80 range and they import their gas from us, go figure.

rabbit
01-22-07, 01:14 PM
Filled up for $1.76 at the Speedway in Elida, OH yesterday. :thumbup: :saywhat:

TKGAngel
01-22-07, 01:18 PM
$2.43 at the NOCO next to the Buffalo airport.

Take away the $0.60 gallon that we pay in taxes, and our prices might be around what some of you are paying.

Warlock!
01-22-07, 01:32 PM
$1.79 in Napoleon, O-hya

Wheel-Nut
03-05-07, 05:20 PM
Going back up. Last month $2 for mid-grade, yesterday, $2.46 for the same. :thumdown:

Gnam
03-05-07, 06:30 PM
$3 dollah you. Last month $2.50 dollah you. Next month screw you!

Wabbit
03-05-07, 06:57 PM
Up $0.22 in the last 7 days. Now $2.61, tomorrow, higher.

B3RACER1a
03-05-07, 07:02 PM
TIme to cut production to make some more $! :thumdown:

MAXAR RE
03-06-07, 11:34 AM
There's only one month left in Q1 of 2007; the oil companies have to increase the price of gasoline so they can continue to report "record profits" for another straight quarter. :mad:

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of a small oil well in West Texas and trust me, we don't see hardly any extra money on the supplier side of this arrangement when "prices" go up. The increase at the pump doesn't make it past the board rooms of the big oil companies.

B3RACER1a
03-06-07, 01:21 PM
I know...that's what sucks.

Chief
03-06-07, 01:40 PM
In WNY it's now $2.71 regular.....was $2.31 about 2 weeks ago.

G.
03-06-07, 01:49 PM
They must be having trouble switching over to the summer formulation again...:shakehead

KLang
03-06-07, 02:09 PM
They must be having trouble switching over to the summer formulation again...:shakehead

I was wondering if that was it too. Seems a bit early though.

Wabbit
03-06-07, 02:13 PM
Up $0.22 in the last 7 days. Now $2.61, tomorrow, higher.

4 more cents this morning.

diamond dave
03-06-07, 03:20 PM
up .40 in the last 4 weeks:thumdown:
so glad pelosi and all the demogods are making sure the oil companies aren't gouging us:irked:

cameraman
03-06-07, 03:27 PM
Still running at ~$2.25 in Salt Lake City

Wabbit
03-07-07, 03:20 PM
4 more cents this morning.

4 more cents again. $2.69 now. Local news is saying $3.00 as by April 1, $3.50 by May and possibly $4.00 by July. No reason given, as usual.

Ankf00
03-07-07, 03:39 PM
2.47 for 87

bloody hippies :flame:

Andrew Longman
03-07-07, 04:13 PM
4 more cents again. $2.69 now. Local news is saying $3.00 as by April 1, $3.50 by May and possibly $4.00 by July. No reason given, as usual.

Gas goes up in summer because demand goes up and the have to add anti-smog stuff to the mixture.

But prices were also really low recently because commodity traders overlspeculated on futures contracts last summer when prices were so high and then were stuck with the contracts just when demand started to slip.

Refiners have a double whammy working against the buying public. They run operations so lean there is very little ability to respond to changes in demand. Instead they prefer to respond to demand by simply upping the price because they make more money that way and don't have to invest in capacity that isn't always used.

OTOH even if they want to build more refineries, the NIMBYs everywhere create endless blockades. But of course due to this unless we start to see some serious conservation soon, we may see refined oil products, not just crude being imported and at sky high prices.

dando
03-07-07, 04:26 PM
A strange thing happened here a couple of weeks ago....w/in an couple mile radius gas was @ $2.27 or $2.45 from Thurs - Sun. Some Monday they all moved to $2.45 and then $2.55 by Thur. I suspect it'll be closer to $3 by the end of the month due to the switch to the warmer weather blend. Lord knows what to expect over the summer, but I suspect it'll be similiar to what happened last summer. :(

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-07-07, 04:28 PM
OTOH even if they want to build more refineries, the NIMBYs everywhere create endless blockades.

the only way to increase refining capacity isn't to build a whole new facility. and refining capacity hasn't remained stagnant all these years no matter what bitter partisans might repeatedly claim.

there's major refinery expansion in the works at present. a couple of examples are Marathon's Garyville, LA plant going from 246 to 425K barrel/day, 73% increase in capacity. Shell's Motiva joint venture in Houston's going from 285 to 600K, 110% increase in capacity. XOM's recently announced a whole slew of new projects as well.

Stu
03-07-07, 07:12 PM
I dont understand the logic from some people.

Winter 2005 gas prices low.
Summer 2005 gas prices high.

Winter 2006 gas prices low.
Summer 2006 gas prices high.

Winter 2007 gas prices low.
Summer 2006 gas prices ???.

Why do people not understand things like the summer driving season and the conversion to summer fuel? Demand goes up and the cost to create fuel goes up, yet people are shocked that prices go up. Edit: Also throw in a few hurricanes to disrupt production. Could that have the slightest impact?

But no, its big oil when the prices are high and its because of the election that prices go down in the fall. No one can explain though why prices go down AFTER the election.

RHR_Fan
03-07-07, 07:17 PM
Prices are $2.49 - $2.54 here. Luckily I was paying attention to gas prices and filled mine up at $2.49 literally 5 minutes before they switched to $2.54.

~Nicole

Wheel-Nut
03-07-07, 08:39 PM
Hey Stu, I didn't realize it was Summer yet.

RichK
03-07-07, 09:07 PM
I'd be interested in an explanation for this chart. Gas prices are going lower, lower, lower, lower until.........election day 2006. I'm not saying anything, but....

http://66.70.86.46/test.gaschart?Country=Canada&Crude=f&Period=6&Areas=SanJose,,&Unit=US%20$/G