PDA

View Full Version : How much is gas where you are?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

JLMannin
05-16-08, 04:07 PM
That has always been the case. The further you have to truck the fuel, the more expensive it is.

Unless you live in Marion County, Indiana. We have atleast three major pipeline terminals here in Indy, and our current gas prices are 10 to 15 cents above the US average and have been for several months.

Yesterday, I filled up (with premium) at $4.129 per gallon. I would assume that as race weekend looms closer and closer, that gas prices will get even higher.

It sounds to me that a lot of the current run up in prices is due to specualtion by energy traders. Take, for example, this article (www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=as3Qc9uGN5To&refer=home):

. . . . Oil prices have doubled in the past year on surging demand, supply disruptions in places such as Nigeria and commodity purchases by investors as a hedge against a weakening U.S. dollar. . . . .

So, how many of those "investors" work for oil companies?

WickerBill
05-17-08, 11:34 AM
$4.19 for regular unleaded to fill up the rental in San Diego. Doesn't help that I had to fill up on airport property, but still.

And by the way the Jeep Liberty they gave me, with less than 1600 miles, was maybe the worst new car I've ever driven in my life.

Sean Malone
05-17-08, 11:42 AM
$4.19 for regular unleaded to fill up the rental in San Diego. Doesn't help that I had to fill up on airport property, but still.

And by the way the Jeep Liberty they gave me, with less than 1600 miles, was maybe the worst new car I've ever driven in my life.

My father in law bought a brand new Liberty and returned it the next day. Said the seats were too hard and the suspension too rough. I found an '03 for $6000 that I was thinking of getting my daughter but I got her a four door Civic instead.

What didn't you like about it?

WickerBill
05-17-08, 11:57 AM
Drives like the e-brake is always engaged -- which is actually a feature; constant engine braking.

The key fobs (which rental place cleverly put BOTH on the same locked ring) are absolutely enormous. Think of a really big key fob. Add 50%.

Door handles are a whole-hand exercise. Instead of handle moving up or out when you pull on it, the handle does nothing -- there's a button next to the handle you have to push to unlock. You have to grab the handle with your fingers and press the button with your thumb. Sound like I'm being picky? After one day I was incredibly annoyed with it. Stupid design.

Press the unlock button on the key fob once -- unlocks driver door. Press twice, unlocks driver door and rear hatch. Press THREE FREAKING TIMES to get the back doors to unlock.

I got 12mpg.

The gear selector is literally out of reach if your back is against the seat. You have to learn forward to grab it.

And the ride was very "Jeep", wind noise was loud, blah blah...

Insomniac
05-17-08, 12:20 PM
My father in law bought a brand new Liberty and returned it the next day. Said the seats were too hard and the suspension too rough. I found an '03 for $6000 that I was thinking of getting my daughter but I got her a four door Civic instead.

What didn't you like about it?

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you return a new car if it isn't a lemon?

Sean Malone
05-17-08, 12:23 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but how do you return a new car if it isn't a lemon?

I asked him the same thing. Basically it comes down to an gruff ol' ex submarine sailor who said "give me my money back". I think he was a long time customer actually.

It does bring up the fact that these new car dealers expect you to make a decision on a major purchase from a drive around the block.

Insomniac
05-17-08, 01:15 PM
I asked him the same thing. Basically it comes down to an gruff ol' ex submarine sailor who said "give me my money back". I think he was a long time customer actually.

It does bring up the fact that these new car dealers expect you to make a decision on a major purchase from a drive around the block.

Ohhh, OK. Word of mouth (and now the Internet) is probably what sold most cars. You were already favoring a car for some reason. GM had a 24-hour test drive program which seemed like a good idea, but they got rid of it.

oddlycalm
05-17-08, 02:57 PM
Stupid design.

Press the unlock button on the key fob once -- unlocks driver door. Press twice, unlocks driver door and rear hatch. Press THREE FREAKING TIMES to get the back doors to unlock.

I got 12mpg.

The gear selector is literally out of reach if your back is against the seat. You have to learn forward to grab it. Agreed, bad design is exactly that and so is crappy fuel economy. We're left to wonder who the target audience is for a small SUV's that get 12mpg. And they wonder why they are having a hard time.

oc

WickerBill
05-17-08, 03:39 PM
It's rated at 24mpg. How, I have no idea... I smallcat-footed that thing for a week, barely went over 3k revs at all, and got 12. Sad.

Sean Malone
05-17-08, 04:45 PM
It's rated at 24mpg. How, I have no idea... I smallcat-footed that thing for a week, barely went over 3k revs at all, and got 12. Sad.

The Liberty has the 3.7 V6 which is literally the MOPAR 4.7 V8 with 2 cylinders lopped off. SOHC and sucks gas like a cruise liner (if cruise liners ran on gas). I have the 4.7 in my pickup.

oddlycalm
05-17-08, 06:07 PM
It's rated at 24mpg. How, I have no idea... I smallcat-footed that thing for a week, barely went over 3k revs at all, and got 12. Sad. That's beyond pathetic. My 10yr old Audi A6 AWD will haul 4 tall people with gobs of rear leg room and all their luggage with a ski rack up top over snow and ice covered roads and I see 19mpg in town with my lead footed wife doing the peddling and 27 hwy on the rare occasion we take the barge past the city limits. It's still worth 1/3 of the price we paid for it making the total cost of ownership pretty low. It hauled literally tons of stuff during our recent move, but once that was over we no longer need it.

Up till now I never really felt the A6 really met my expectations, but compared to the Liberty it sounds positively brilliant. :gomer:

oc

trish
05-19-08, 01:23 PM
A few of the gas prices I observed around town while looking to fill up.

These are all for regular.

Shell (1) $4.239
Getty $3.979
Exon $3.989
Cumberland Farms $3.979
Shell (2) $4.159
Citgo $3.979

:(

Ankf00
05-19-08, 01:28 PM
$3.79 for 85, $3.89 for 87

yay. :)

Sean O'Gorman
05-19-08, 06:02 PM
85?

Don Quixote
05-19-08, 06:04 PM
85?

we gots low octanes here in the wild west.

Michaelhatesfans
05-20-08, 12:21 AM
Drives like the e-brake is always engaged -- which is actually a feature; constant engine braking.
The key fobs (which rental place cleverly put BOTH on the same locked ring) are absolutely enormous. Think of a really big key fob. Add 50%.
Door handles are a whole-hand exercise. Instead of handle moving up or out when you pull on it, the handle does nothing -- there's a button next to the handle you have to push to unlock. You have to grab the handle with your fingers and press the button with your thumb. Sound like I'm being picky? After one day I was incredibly annoyed with it. Stupid design.
I got 12mpg.
The gear selector is literally out of reach if your back is against the seat. You have to learn forward to grab it.
And the ride was very "Jeep", wind noise was loud, blah blah...

Don't get me started on the Pontiac Grand Prix that I rented a few months ago. Of course, when these pigs don't sell, it will be the union's fault.

SurfaceUnits
05-21-08, 01:07 AM
oil is at $129.07, can anybody say $10 for two gallons soon? the Bush family and their new world order friends hope so

Ankf00
05-21-08, 01:54 AM
we gots low octanes here in the wild west.

i wanted to road trip it solo to Fruita for memorial day. so much for that plan...

opinionated ow
05-21-08, 03:10 AM
filled up here in ADELAIDE for $1.387/L yesterday. That equates to $5.04USD/USG

emjaya
05-21-08, 06:34 AM
filled up here in ADELAIDE for $1.387/L yesterday. That equates to $5.04USD/USG

That's cheap, jumped to $1.499 today in Briz. Diesel is $1.72. :eek:

Adelaide? F3?

opinionated ow
05-21-08, 07:43 AM
That's cheap, jumped to $1.499 today in Briz. Diesel is $1.72. :eek:

Adelaide? F3?

I saw $1.549 today. In Adelaide for Qantas actually, saying that I did head out to Mallala on Sunday. Some good races.

sadams
05-21-08, 07:58 AM
$4.099 regular $4.799 diesel in southeast CT

racermike
05-21-08, 01:27 PM
Oil just shot up $3 a barrel today, to $132 a barrel

Things are only going to get worse

KaBoom21
05-21-08, 01:39 PM
Sixty dollars to fill up a Jetta is just wrong.

Tifosi24
05-21-08, 10:35 PM
Prices jumped to around $3.90 here in the Twin Cities for 87 octane and diesel is right around $4.50 per gallon. Thank God I take the bus to work, but I can't believe how much the ridership has increased in the past month. I notice about two new people a week these days.

What people need to start worrying about are natural gas prices. If there is no correction later in the summer and some serious heat waves, heating prices this winter are going to be unimaginable.

Spicoli
05-21-08, 11:27 PM
:thumbup:

www.hypermiling.com

try it.

Hypermiling : Ways to decrease your fuel consumption

it ain't sexy, but it works. + more money for beers, less for Bushie/Oils/Cheney = me win.

http://www.hypermiling.com/car-mpg.html

Sean Malone
05-21-08, 11:51 PM

www.hypermiling.com

try it.

it ain't sexy, but it works. + more money for beers, less for Bushie/Oils/Cheney = me win.

http://www.hypermiling.com/car-mpg.html

Congress is thrashing the oil execs over the prices, demanding concessions. The oil execs are screaming for Alaska and other fields in the Western and Eastern US to be reopened to which the Democratic lead Congress with the 75% dissaproval rating says no to. But you know that.

Just saw a commercial from a Dodge dealer saying that they if you buy a new Dodge, they will pay anything over $2.99 a gallon for the first 3 years.

Which, actually middle America has no problem adjusting to the rising prices. $50 to fill my tank one day, $70 to fill it the next. Not that big of deal. it's the lower income families and people on fixed incomes i.e. retired elderly, that is affects the most at this point. When it costs a days wage to fill the gas tank up to go to work, they'll probably bail on the Wal Mart job and let Uncle Sam float them. But I digress.

My motorcycle gets 40mpg. If there weren't so many idiot soccer moms (and dads) in giant Escalades clogging the roads I'd probably commute on it every day instead of the three days I do. Am I getting bitter?

dando
05-22-08, 12:58 AM
Just saw a commercial from a Dodge dealer saying that they if you buy a new Dodge, they will pay anything over $2.99 a gallon for the first 3 years.

Old news (offer has been available for a few weeks) and that's up to 12K miles/year. What amazes me is the 'crossover' SUV Journey they promote as fuel efficient is about the same as an Explorer, and they offer no Flex Fuel models or hybrids (HEMI Durango hybrid coming soon). WTF? I did some further SUV checking for S&Gs and found that the current Expedition model gets better fuel economy than the current Explorer. Now I know those claims are somewhat spurious, but WTF? :irked:

If only I could ride my bike more, but we'd waste the savings on trips to daycare by the wife, and she flat can't do it and remain employed. :(

-Kevin

chop456
05-22-08, 01:13 AM
What amazes me is the 'crossover' SUV Journey they promote as fuel efficient is about the same as an Explorer, and they offer no Flex Fuel models or hybrids

You mean the Journey that's available in Europe with a diesel and DSG that gets 35+ MPG? :tony: :shakehead

Ankf00
05-22-08, 01:46 AM
As I listen to your testimony, we should almost be embarrassed to even ask questions of you. And the way you speak of this current up cycle - what a nice term. And I suppose we can tell our constituents that when they find that they can't afford to go to work because of the price of gas, `Don't worry, you're in a current "Up-Cycle."
-Leahy

“Where is the corporate conscience?
-Durbin

People we represent are hurting, the companies you represent are profiting,” Leahy told the executives. He said there’s a “disconnect” between legitimate supply issues and the oil and gasoline prices motorists are seeing.

:rolleyes:

Napoleon
05-22-08, 06:17 AM
Peak Oil?

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB121139527250011387-lMyQjAxMDI4MTIxMjMyOTI1Wj.html

chop456
05-22-08, 06:58 AM
Peak Oil?

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB121139527250011387-lMyQjAxMDI4MTIxMjMyOTI1Wj.html

Unpossible. I'm buying two Escalades while they're on sale. :tony:

You can:

A) Whine and hold your breath until the big bad oil companies decide to forego profitability.

B) Drive the most fuel-efficient car that's practical and keep an oil-heavy portfolio.

I know what I'm doing. :thumbup:

Warlock!
05-22-08, 07:39 AM
try it.

...until you get shot for instilling road rage into every other driver within 1/4 mile of your car.

Then, of course, we all win. :D

Stu
05-22-08, 08:40 AM
Which, actually middle America has no problem adjusting to the rising prices. $50 to fill my tank one day, $70 to fill it the next. Not that big of deal. it's the lower income families and people on fixed incomes i.e. retired elderly, that is affects the most at this point. When it costs a days wage to fill the gas tank up to go to work, they'll probably bail on the Wal Mart job and let Uncle Sam float them. But I digress.

:thumdown:

Its not the lower income families that are struggling. The cost of filling up the family sedan is FAR from the major problem.

Any good that is trucked across the US is rising significantly in price. It's not just the extra 20 bucks it takes to fill up your tank of gas, its the extra 10-20% you're paying at the grocery store, on airline tickets, on fuel surcharges that service companies are forced to tack on.

That is the problem with rising oil prices, and that is what is going to slow economic growth throughout the world.

Stu
05-22-08, 08:47 AM
What amazes me is the 'crossover' SUV Journey they promote as fuel efficient is about the same as an Explorer, and they offer no Flex Fuel models or hybrids (HEMI Durango hybrid coming soon). WTF? I did some further SUV checking for S&Gs and found that the current Expedition model gets better fuel economy than the current Explorer. Now I know those claims are somewhat spurious, but WTF? :irked:

Flex Fuel is stupid. It gets worse fuel mileage, the fuel costs more per mile driven than normal gas, and the spike in demand by turning food into fuel has resulted in food shortages and rising fuel prices.

Stu
05-22-08, 08:54 AM
and for more Washington stupidity:

House passes bill to sue OPEC over oil prices (http://www.reuters.com/article/wtMostRead/idUSWAT00953020080520?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0)

Sean Malone
05-22-08, 09:40 AM
:thumdown:

Its not the lower income families that are struggling. The cost of filling up the family sedan is FAR from the major problem.

Any good that is trucked across the US is rising significantly in price. It's not just the extra 20 bucks it takes to fill up your tank of gas, its the extra 10-20% you're paying at the grocery store, on airline tickets, on fuel surcharges that service companies are forced to tack on.

That is the problem with rising oil prices, and that is what is going to slow economic growth throughout the world.

True, I wasn't going there yet, I was responding to the immediately felt impact not the dispersed bigger picture but you worded it nicely. But the truth is, it IS affecting people. Do you talk to human beings?

So when is Congress going to help out and reduce the 45.9% (overall) gas tax we have in FL? Yeah right. They'd rather brow beat the oil execs or send Bush over to beg the sheiks to pump more black gold.

I thought the Iraq war was supposed to give us oil? So much for that accusation.

I'd start by mandating that all commercial airliners DO NOT take off unless there is a body in at least 75% capacity. My wife just flew in from DC on plane that had 10 people. A 747 uses more fuel on takeoff than my daughter Civic uses in A YEAR. Sickening.

Insomniac
05-22-08, 10:09 AM
Can the refineries refine much more oil right now?

Does anyone know where I can find weekly crude oil prices back to 2000 or so? My broker only has prices back one year. :(

Sabre rattling the oil execs won't help much. From what I can tell, our (U.S.) usage has not changed in a meaningful way in either direction. The price of oil is going up, and it isn't the oil companies driving it up. They could reduce their profit, but that's only going to take pennies off the gallon, not dollars. We are all bidding each other up on gas prices. The laws of supply and demand are working. I don't know why some people thing if there is competition that means prices go down and if they don't, then there is price fixing or price gouging. If you are selling every gallon you produce, there is no point in lowering prices. You can't sell more and steal business from your competitors. You lower your revenue and then your customers go where the gas is after you run out.

President Bush is right. Either we need to reduce oil consumption or refine more oil (I believe refineries are pretty well maxed out, so we need to either expand more or build more).

I don't know enough about the possibility of market manipulation of oil prices, but that may be something to investigate.

Sean Malone
05-22-08, 10:26 AM

Does anyone know where I can find weekly crude oil prices back to 2000 or so? My broker only has prices back one year. :(

Sabre rattling the oil execs won't help much. From what I can tell, our (U.S.) usage has not changed in a meaningful way in either direction. The price of oil is going up, and it isn't the oil companies driving it up. They could reduce their profit, but that's only going to take pennies off the gallon, not dollars. We are all bidding each other up on gas prices. The laws of supply and demand are working. I don't know why some people thing if there is competition that means prices go down and if they don't, then there is price fixing or price gouging. If you are selling every gallon you produce, there is no point in lowering prices. You can't sell more and steal business from your competitors. You lower your revenue and then your customers go where the gas is after you run out.

President Bush is right. Either we need to reduce oil consumption or refine more oil (I believe refineries are pretty well maxed out, so we need to either expand more or build more).

I don't know enough about the possibility of market manipulation of oil prices, but that may be something to investigate.

The article I read yesterday on CNN about the oil execs called to the hill claimed they are producing at 85% capacity. I thought they hit 100% back in '72 and stayed there.

G.
05-22-08, 11:26 AM
Yesterday: $3.96

Today: $4.16

Sean O'Gorman
05-22-08, 11:37 AM
dur lets buy mopeds and start a scooter gang and get 84 MPG

Ankf00
05-22-08, 11:37 AM
http://www.energybulletin.net/4466.html

TKGAngel
05-22-08, 11:40 AM
Old news (offer has been available for a few weeks) and that's up to 12K miles/year.

Fine print says you must have a valid Visa / Mastercard and the offer is only valid at certain gas stations. You have to ZIP lookup a gas station on the Dodge site and see if its worth it.

I'm beginning to wonder if the joy of family togetherness is really going to be worth my road trips to Michigan and Indiana next month.

Insomniac
05-22-08, 12:56 PM
The article I read yesterday on CNN about the oil execs called to the hill claimed they are producing at 85% capacity. I thought they hit 100% back in '72 and stayed there.

Heh, wasn't it last summer when they said prices would go up because of refinery maintenance that would cut throughput to 93% or so?

Napoleon
05-22-08, 01:09 PM
I like this resource also.

http://www.theoildrum.com/

A book I read which is great on the subject of Saudi Oil capacity is "Twilight in the Desert"

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Desert-Coming-Saudi-Economy/dp/0471790184/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211475878&sr=8-1

This is a good basic article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200710/oil-field-decline

cameraman
05-22-08, 01:13 PM
Can the refineries refine much more oil right now? Why would they? There is no shortage of gas around here, it is just the feedstock is more expensive. Say they increased production at the Sinclair refinery here in town, what would that do? Hell, where would they even put the extra gas?

Gas/diesel prices are going to go up, now & forever. We need to adjust our lifestyles to match the realities of the planet.

Sean O'Gorman
05-22-08, 01:58 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if the joy of family togetherness is really going to be worth my road trips to Michigan and Indiana next month.

I was going to say, you couldn't pay me to take road trips to Indiana and Michigan, but then I remembered you are coming from Buffalo. :rofl:

Ankf00
05-22-08, 02:00 PM

I've implemented a strict "If you want me involved in family togetherness, you're the one hopping on a plane this way," policy. It has simplified things immensely.

TKGAngel
05-22-08, 02:33 PM
I was going to say, you couldn't pay me to take road trips to Indiana and Michigan, but then I remembered you are coming from Buffalo. :rofl:

Gee, thanks. And after the nice things I've said about your hometown. :)

Sean O'Gorman
05-22-08, 02:48 PM
Whatever, even the English language hates Buffalo. And the Indians too, apparently. ;)

Napoleon
05-22-08, 03:08 PM
Here is a prediction of $12 to $15 a gallon gasoline. Ouch!

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080521145247.aspx

Gnam
05-22-08, 03:26 PM
I've implemented a strict "If you want me involved in family togetherness, you're the one hopping on a plane this way," policy. It has simplified things immensely.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8987/egbs12vt8.jpg

Home, Home on the Front Range... :p

Yesterday, saw two guys towing a drag boat up to the lake. Can't imagine filling that thing up at the boat ramp. :cry:

Insomniac
05-22-08, 03:52 PM
Why would they? There is no shortage of gas around here, it is just the feedstock is more expensive. Say they increased production at the Sinclair refinery here in town, what would that do? Hell, where would they even put the extra gas?

Gas/diesel prices are going to go up, now & forever. We need to adjust our lifestyles to match the realities of the planet.

There is no shortage, but demand exceeds supply. The market could bear more supply. I'm just wondering if it's even possible.

Ankf00
05-22-08, 04:32 PM
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8987/egbs12vt8.jpg

Home, Home on the Front Range... :p

Yesterday, saw two guys towing a drag boat up to the lake. Can't imagine filling that thing up at the boat ramp. :cry:

where'd you find that sticker, me want :D

cameraman
05-22-08, 04:35 PM
http://www.stxop.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EGBS12

Ankf00
05-22-08, 04:57 PM
http://www.shaggybevo.com/forums/images/smiles/th_pimp.gif

oddlycalm
05-22-08, 05:41 PM
Gas/diesel prices are going to go up, now & forever. We need to adjust our lifestyles to match the realities of the planet. Yep, friends rolled their eyes when we sold Mildew Manor last year and went urban, but now everything we do is within 20 blocks of home. What I'd like for a 2nd car is a plug in electric because internal combustion isn't idea for short trips where the engine never warms up.

oc

eiregosod
05-22-08, 06:04 PM
I've been known to be a refusnik ;) ;), i'm actually frightened about the lack of new oil finds. I got a feeling that the generations of these times will be remembered as the wasteful generation. The world goes from the Greatest generation to the morons in one fell swoop!

nissan gtp
05-22-08, 06:10 PM
high test was $4.09 today, first time we've gone over the big 4-0

bet it'll be 5-0 in a year :thumdown:

Ankf00
05-22-08, 07:47 PM
I've been known to be a refusnik ;) ;), i'm actually frightened about the lack of new oil finds. I got a feeling that the generations of these times will be remembered as the wasteful generation. The world goes from the Greatest generation to the morons in one fell swoop!

****ing baby boomers

Tifosi24
05-22-08, 09:14 PM

Seeing as I get to track this market at work I can answer some of these questions. The fact that your broker doesn't have front market oil prices for the last 18 years, at least, means he is either stupid, lazy, or afraid you will know more than him. This link: http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/info_glance/petroleum.html (http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/info_glance/petroleum.html) will supply you with all of the information you need. Refinery capacity for this week in May hasn't been this low since the early 1990s. There is some level of supply and demand in the market, but these refiners and oil suppliers have serious market power, and a great deal of vertical integration, so they can control parts of the market. The problem is there is no incentive to refine since demand is down slightly and the margin for turning a barrel of oil into gasoline is fairly low right now. It is not a pleasant environment right now, but it is what we have to deal with, and it is up to the consumer to change things, since the oil industry's answer to this problem is drilling for supplies in increasing more expensive regions, instead of making the production phase more efficient.

chop456
05-23-08, 01:57 AM
high test was $4.09 today, first time we've gone over the big 4-0

bet it'll be 5-0 by Labor Day :thumdown:

Fixed. :thumbup:

Too bad you got that turbocharged gas hog, huh? :D

coolhand
05-23-08, 02:31 AM
http://en.sevenload.com/videos/5R0Ex3l-Waters-oil

They want to nationalize it but they don't know the term "nationalize" :gomer::tony::gomer:

RusH
05-23-08, 07:18 AM
http://en.sevenload.com/videos/5R0Ex3l-Waters-oil

They want to nationalize it but they don't know the term "nationalize"

Standard Oil returns!!!!......Soviet style raid :thumbup: :gomer:

Insomniac
05-23-08, 08:08 AM
Seeing as I get to track this market at work I can answer some of these questions. The fact that your broker doesn't have front market oil prices for the last 18 years, at least, means he is either stupid, lazy, or afraid you will know more than him.

Thanks! I didn't mean an actual person. Just meant when I loaded the crude oil charts, the data went back about a year.

dando
05-23-08, 11:12 AM
Back from a trip to DC where it was $3.83ish. $3.95 here. :(

-Kevin

opinionated ow
05-23-08, 11:57 AM
do you guys really get fuel that is less than 90 octane?:shakehead

G.
05-23-08, 12:11 PM
Yeah, but we measure it in English units, not metric.:gomer:

Seriously, there are different ways to measure octane, and our methods may be different than yours.

I'm sure someone here will know, but I ain't someone.

JLMannin
05-23-08, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but we measure it in English units, not metric.:gomer:

Seriously, there are different ways to measure octane, and our methods may be different than yours.

I'm sure someone here will know, but I ain't someone.

(R + M)/2

R is the reference, iso-octane (trimethyl pentane, i think) and is assigned the arbitrary value of 100 units.

This part I may have backwards, so correct me if I am wrong - if a blend burns more slowly than the reference, its octane rating is greater than 100. If it burns more quickly, it is less than 100.

So the octane rating is an average of 100 and what ever the value of the given fuel sample is.

cameraman
05-23-08, 12:56 PM

The elevation around here is 1500 M, you have to adjust the octane for things to work properly. Regular gas is 85 in Utah.

G.
05-23-08, 01:18 PM
It's just wikipedia, but FWIW:

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).

clicky the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating)

Ankf00
05-23-08, 02:02 PM
octane rating is auto-ignition delay time of given fuel mix vs. control. iso-octane

different methods of comparision yield different numbers, the wiki articles explains the Research & Motor tests and how we use the averaged value of both tests, (R+M)/2, and how you roo-humping aussies only use the Research test. :p

with altitude there's less atmospheric pressure which means less pressure in combustion chamber which means there's less need for a higher value fuel (85 vs. 87 or 89). The higher concentration of more volatile compounds in the 85 fuel at altitude isn't going to be the detriment it would be when in a combustion chamber at sea level 14.7 psi. Auto-ignition delay, pressures, temperatures, volatility...

you may now return to corn-nerd thread :)

Sean Malone
05-23-08, 02:51 PM
octane rating is auto-ignition delay time of given fuel mix vs. control. iso-octane

different methods of comparision yield different numbers, the wiki articles explains the Research & Motor tests and how we use the averaged value of both tests, (R+M)/2, and how you roo-humping aussies only use the Research test. :p

with altitude there's less atmospheric pressure which means less pressure in combustion chamber which means there's less need for a higher value fuel (85 vs. 87 or 89). The higher concentration of more volatile compounds in the 85 fuel at altitude isn't going to be the detriment it would be when in a combustion chamber at sea level 14.7 psi. Auto-ignition delay, pressures, temperatures, volatility...

you may now return to corn-nerd thread :)

Someday we'll run our cars on corn fuel and there won't be anything for the pigs to eat so we'll have to eat all the pigs. Mmmmm.

Napoleon
05-23-08, 04:02 PM
This is a nice "temperature" map of gas prices.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

grungex
05-23-08, 07:12 PM
I paid $4.269 for regular today, the pump shut off at $100.00 long before the tank was full... :irked:

Gnam
05-23-08, 07:31 PM
I paid $4.269 for regular today, the pump shut off at $100.00 long before the tank was full... Credit card fraud protection or gas station pump limit?

dando
05-23-08, 07:49 PM
Credit card fraud protection or gas station pump limit?

Gotta be pump limits. The same thing happened with the post-Katrina spike, where many pumps shutoff @ $75. That happened to me on the PA turnpike. :irked:

-Kevin

RusH
05-23-08, 08:40 PM
Saudi fraud protection or gas station pump limit?

Making sure funds go to the right places. ;)

cameraman
05-24-08, 12:35 AM
I paid $4.269 for regular today, the pump shut off at $100.00 long before the tank was full... :irked:

What the hell were you filling, a boat?

Brickman
05-24-08, 01:34 AM
$5.19 diesel.

:yuck:

Spicoli
05-24-08, 07:38 AM
$5.19 diesel.

:yuck:

:laugh:

Sean Malone
05-24-08, 10:48 AM
http://www.runyourscarwithwater.com/

:D

Don Quixote
05-24-08, 11:41 AM

:D :D It was worth it to click on that link just to see the wheels on that spokeperson! Also, if you are not satisfied, just click on the "contact us" button at the bottom of the page. :)

dando
05-24-08, 04:21 PM

:D

And a 56 day guarantee to boot. :gomer:

-Kevin

grungex
05-24-08, 07:23 PM
Credit card fraud protection or gas station pump limit?

Pump limit, I was using a fleet card.

What the hell were you filling, a boat?

Full-size Ford cargo van, 30-gallon tank. $100=23 gallons... :flame:

cameraman
05-24-08, 08:12 PM
Full-size Ford cargo van, 30-gallon tank. $100=23 gallons... :flame:

Boat, barge whatever....

dando
05-28-08, 12:10 PM

OPEC sez oil should be in the $60 range. More on the market speculation causing the rise in the price of oil:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91211-1317363,00.html

Like other speculative bubbles, this too should burst sometime, but I fear the damage it will cause in the meantime. :(

-Kevin

Ankf00
05-28-08, 12:56 PM
$4.06 87, $3.90 85 last night

extramundane
05-28-08, 03:36 PM
Bit of a "gas war" going on this week, so there's still a ton of $3.75-3.79/gal (87 octane) stations around here. But even those guys have said to expect $3.97+ when the next tankers arrive.

Insomniac
05-28-08, 03:46 PM
OPEC sez oil should be in the $60 range. More on the market speculation causing the rise in the price of oil:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91211-1317363,00.html

Like other speculative bubbles, this too should burst sometime, but I fear the damage it will cause in the meantime. :(

-Kevin

There's speculation and then there's manipulation though. Like what Enron was doing.

Spicoli
05-28-08, 07:56 PM
Boat, barge whatever....

F'in treehuggin Utard! :)

:runs:

i am preddy sure he dribes it fer work, or gets it fer free. I seened it and its biggie.

racermike
05-28-08, 08:35 PM
Arco $3.94
Shell $4.07
Chevron $4.11

Thats all on the drive home this afternoon

Glad I didnt buy a Diesel last year (came close). Diesel is $4.92 here now (thats cheapest I have seen)

KLang
05-29-08, 09:54 AM
$4.09 for V-Power this morning.

I think we better get used to it.

dando
05-29-08, 10:14 AM
There's speculation and then there's manipulation though. Like what Enron was doing.

Enron was much smaller scale than global oil and other commodities. Serious, serious, serious buck$ would need to be behind this kind of manipulation. Speculation is far different, which involves betting on highs and lows like stock shorting, etc.

-Kevin

Napoleon
05-29-08, 11:46 AM
This is interesting - the suburban gas riot of 1979.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_top_left_story/20080529_Racalling_the_suburban_gas_riots_of_1979. html

Gnam
05-29-08, 12:26 PM
$4.19 in NorCal this fine morning. It was $4.06 over Memorial Day.

dando
05-29-08, 01:23 PM
Back up to $3.99 today after dipping to $3.86 yesterday. And now for more fun....Dow announced a 20% across the board increase yesterday. Bend over, folks! :saywhat: :irked: :mad:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-dow-price-increase,0,818011.story

-Kevin

cameraman
05-29-08, 01:51 PM
Dow announced a 20% across the board increase yesterday. Bend over, folks! :saywhat: :irked: :mad:

That is an odd way of doing things. I guess they are spreading the pain across their entire product line. Now we get to watch the CPI go up and the Federal Reserve Board's collective brain explode:shakehead

Ankf00
05-29-08, 01:58 PM
I wonder how long it would take me to bike all the way over to Moab next week

cameraman
05-29-08, 02:12 PM
I'm thinking you could find some place in CO to ride a bike...