PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...

Pages : 1 2 [3]

rabbit
10-03-05, 12:06 PM
I'd like to see the TV news media keep a straight face if this storm ever hit the US:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051002/wl_asia_afp/taiwanweathertyphoon;_ylt=AoECuTnO3exBH85pe_1cuqoB xg8F;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
Flogging a chicken thief with a cane is one thing, but lashing an entire country with a Longwang is just cruel and unusual.

Wheel-Nut
10-03-05, 12:47 PM
Huh? If they felt the middle supports couldn't withstand it if the wood was on the outside, why would they be able to with the wood on the inside? :confused:

I would guess it has nothing to do with the "mullions" being able to support the "plywood", or in this case, OSB or Oriented Strand Board.

http://www.howelumber.com/osbply.htm

Structural Comparision

For most uses in building, OSB and plywood are essentially interchangable. You must be sure that the thicknesses of the panels are of the same magnitude, though. One of the better ways to make sure that you are comparing apples to apples, so to speak, is to check for the APA (American Plywood Association) stamp on the sheet of material. That means that the plant that produced the material has undergone rigorous testing, and that its product is constantly tested for strength and quality.

The one area in which there is a large difference between plywood and OSB is impact holes. OSB tend to handle severe impact to its surface less well than plywood. This should come as no surprise. Plywood is cut into continuous veneer sheets, so that there are longer, solid pieces of wood fiber. OSB is made of smaller pieces that do not extend quite that far. Once it is installed onto studs or rafters this becomes less of a factor, since the OSB and plywood are supported more evenly.

Moisture

OSB is somewhat more prone to water absorption than plywood. This is really only a factor when there is water in liquid form coming into contact with the OSB. When this happens, there is a good chance of up to 15-20% swelling. What this means is that many finished floor vendors will not warantee their products over an OSB substrate. The swelling could crack grout joints, or create humps underneath linoleum.

We do carry a relatively new OSB style product called Advantech that has a guarantee that there will not be any need to sand down spots of swelling. It differentiates itself from the OSB market, in that it is considered a structural panel. What this means is that it is constructed in a different way that does not allow for the same levels of moisture.

dando
10-03-05, 03:19 PM
October forecast from Dr. Gray:

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/051003_hurricane_forecast.html

The forecasters expect three named tropical storms, two hurricanes, one major hurricane during October.

The prediction covers the Atlantic Basin, including the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico.

Compared to past full seasons, this year is the seventh busiest since 1950, and it does not end until Nov. 30.

This season had the busiest start ever, with 4 named storms by July 5. Warm sea surface temperatures fueled the monsters Katrina and Rita, and conditions remain ripe for more, other hurricane experts agree.

Tropical storm Stan, now in the Gulf of Mexico, is the 18th named storm of the season. It is expected to become a hurricane and strike Mexico this week.

The August update from NOAA, which oversees the National Hurricane Center, called for up to 21 named tropical storms. The busiest season on record was 1933, when 21 tropical storms developed in the Atlantic Basin.

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
10-05-05, 11:11 PM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT21/refresh/AL2105W+gif/024553W_sm.gif

Given the name it has, I expected it to be alot worse, but that is an entirely different story. :P

B3RACER1a
10-18-05, 10:30 PM
So, now we have Hurricane Wilma. It is undergoing rapid intensification just like all the others in the Carribean and gulf....track is headed to the Florida Penn. :(

B3RACER1a
10-19-05, 01:22 AM
Now 150 mph winds. 901 mb :eek:

It was a tropical storm this morning!

KLang
10-19-05, 09:47 AM
WOW, Cat 5 now with 175mph winds and the lowest pressure ever recorded for an Atlantic storm. Look out Florida, here come's Wilma.

Suprisingly little difference in the various models:

http://maps.wunderground.com/data/images/at200524_model.gif

The Doctor
10-19-05, 10:05 AM
Ironic that after missing out on many hurricanes this season we'll be struck by the last of the 2005-named storms. :shakehead We've still got our supplies and we're somewhat north of the track being about 35 miles south of Orlando, but the track will probably change and hopefully further south. But with out luck, probably not. Oh well, as the thread has said all summer, here we go again...

We're well practiced at this, though. ;)

cart7
10-19-05, 10:07 AM
Computer models subject to large errors. Do not use for planning purposes

Remember, just a couple days ago most of the models were showing the storm going west through the Yucatan Pennisula and into the bay of Campechi.

We'll see.

KLang
10-19-05, 10:18 AM
Remember, just a couple days ago most of the models were showing the storm going west through the Yucatan Pennisula and into the bay of Campechi.

We'll see.

The way I remember it, the models on Monday showed the storm going all over the place. It seems unusual to me how much in agreement they are now, 3-4 days before landfall.

Ankf00
10-19-05, 10:54 AM
midget storm, 75+mph winds extend something like 15 miles from the eye...

rabbit
10-19-05, 11:41 AM
http://phyvirtual.nju.edu.cn/mirror/www.ictp.trieste.it/~cfonda/pictures/images/wilma.gif

indyfan31
10-19-05, 01:30 PM
Given the name it has, I expected it to be alot worse, but that is an entirely different story. :P
Apparently you're not the only one, I know another Tammy that also left some serious depression (then destruction) in her wake.

KLang
10-20-05, 10:51 AM
It's looking now like it is going to first wallup Cancun before it turns back to take on Florida.

We were in Naples for a wedding this past weekend. My wifes sister lives there. They commented that they NEVER get hit. Looks like that might change.

dando
10-20-05, 07:52 PM
It's looking now like it is going to first wallup Cancun before it turns back to take on Florida.

We were in Naples for a wedding this past weekend. My wifes sister lives there. They commented that they NEVER get hit. Looks like that might change.
Considering that Charley hit just north of Naples/Ft. Myers, I would STFU if I were her.

-Kevin

dando
10-20-05, 08:01 PM
Another aspect to Wilma is that depending on the timing, she could phase along the east coast to become a hybrid storm like the '93 super storm. It all depends on the timing w/a trof digging in on the east coast.

In other wx weirdness, we're heading into the last week of October, and we still haven't had a frost or freeze in most of the midwest. Peak color season is supposed to be mid-October here, and yet the majority of the trees haven't started to change. According to wx lore, we're supposed to have our first frost 90 days after the locusts chirp during the summer, which occurred over July 4 weekend. This year is just freakish in terms of extremes. :eek:

/wx geek out

-Kevin

KLang
10-21-05, 05:08 PM
'BREAKING NEWS Hurricane Wilma officially makes landfall as a Category 4 storm, with the eye's center hitting Cozumel, Mexico, meteorologists say. '

I've been to Cozumel a few times. I can't imagine there being much left after a direct hit from a cat 4. :(

Cancun in next. I heard reports earlier today that there is already flooding in the first floor of some motels. The motel section of Cancun is really just an island. I wonder how much of it will simply be swept away?

dando
10-22-05, 01:45 PM
TD 25 forms in the Caribbean. No threat to the US. Should this become a TS, it will set the record and be named Alpha since all names have been exhausted. Wow!

-Kevin

devilmaster
10-22-05, 01:53 PM
we're goin greek! OPA!

Stu
10-22-05, 02:04 PM
what the hell, wilma is projected to be a category 2 by the time it hits florida. thats a mild breeze as far as floridians are concerned. :rolleyes:

dando
10-22-05, 02:08 PM
what the hell, wilma is projected to be a category 2 by the time it hits florida. thats a mild breeze as far as floridians are concerned. :rolleyes:
cat 2 or 3. The official forecast is cat 2 ~115 mph, but those forecasts are usually very conservative. It also depends on where she goes. Keep in mind that Katrina did significant damage as a cat 1 hitting near Miami. If Wilma goes north towards Naples/Ft. Myers, there's still damage in the area from Charley in 8/04.

-Kevin

dando
10-22-05, 02:41 PM
Wow!

WILMA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE ADDITIONAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 20 INCHES THROUGH SUNDAY ACROSS PORTIONS OF WESTERN CUBA AND THE YUCATAN PENINSULA... WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM STORM TOTAL AMOUNTS APPROACHING 50 INCHES. RAINFALL ACROSS SOUTHERN FLORIDA INCLUDING THE KEYS THROUGH TUESDAY IS EXPECTED TO BE 4 TO 8 INCHES... WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 12 INCHES POSSIBLE.

That's over 4' of rain in spots! :eek:

-Kevin

Stu
10-22-05, 03:06 PM
cat 2 or 3. The official forecast is cat 2 ~115 mph, but those forecasts are usually very conservative. It also depends on where she goes. Keep in mind that Katrina did significant damage as a cat 1 hitting near Miami. If Wilma goes north towards Naples/Ft. Myers, there's still damage in the area from Charley in 8/04.

-Kevin

yea but this is florida. the reason this is such big news isnt because its a terrible huhrricane, its because we've been hit by a huge hurricane and a big already this year. had the first 2 been smaller, this wouldnt be such a big deal, but its news.

Ankf00
10-22-05, 03:14 PM
what are the roofs rated at over there? The new homes in Houston are supposed to sustain 110mph, the old ones at 95 or 100mph I think...

dando
10-22-05, 07:24 PM
And then there was Alpha. We have a new record, folks! :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
10-23-05, 09:59 PM
I'm not liking this one bit. Wilma is looking much better on the sat. loops on TWC. She's gone from 100 to 110, and I'm betting the 11pm update may have her upwards of 120mph. The current track is towards Ft. Myers (those poor peeps), but as always that is subject to change.

Stay safe FL OCers!

-Kevin

dando
10-23-05, 10:03 PM

I hope they've headed out of harms way. Looks like Naples will be on the bad side if she stays on he present courser.

-Kevin

dando
10-23-05, 10:59 PM
cat 3 she is @ 115.

-Kevin

Stu
10-24-05, 07:11 AM
some tidbits from accuweather:

current peak wind speeds in florida:

Key West - 78 mph
Naples - 75 mph
Tamiami - 64 mph
Miami - 61 mph
Fort Lauderdale - 64 mph
Fort Myers - 56 mph

"Wilma is moving so fast that by this evening, the areas ravaged by Wilma will actually have calm weather and the return of sunshine."

"Wilma has already produced intense rainfall across central and South Florida. Many areas are reporting over 2 inches of rain. Wilma has also produced 9 tornadoes and AccuWeather.com meteorologists are forecasting additional tornadoes today. "

KLang
10-24-05, 09:18 AM
I hope they've headed out of harms way. Looks like Naples will be on the bad side if she stays on he present courser.

-Kevin

They are riding it out. It doesn't make sense to me, they have another house up in Georgia. Seems to me if you have someplace to go it would make sense to do so. I don't think they are at risk from storm surge, wind might be a different story. Probably know more in a few hours.

Heard the mayor of Key West on CNN a little while ago. He says he can't find anywhere that isn't flooded. :saywhat:

Now Miami-Dade and Broward counties getting beat up.

dando
10-24-05, 02:57 PM
They are riding it out. It doesn't make sense to me, they have another house up in Georgia. Seems to me if you have someplace to go it would make sense to do so. I don't think they are at risk from storm surge, wind might be a different story. Probably know more in a few hours.

Heard the mayor of Key West on CNN a little while ago. He says he can't find anywhere that isn't flooded. :saywhat:

Now Miami-Dade and Broward counties getting beat up.
Fortunate for them that the her course flattened out just a wee bit, and she ended up coming ashore just a south of Naples. As I expected, she did strengthen to 120+ by landfall. TWC interviewed some chick in Naples last night, and she was gonna ride it out in her boat. Frickin' idiots. One thing was for certain, tho, she wouldn't have drowned with the floatation devices she had. :D

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
10-24-05, 03:09 PM
The Keys were thrashed. Several letter boxes were tipped over, a street lamp fell off and there are lots of leaves to pick up before heavy drinking can resume.

dando
10-24-05, 04:00 PM
The Keys were thrashed. Several letter boxes were tipped over, a street lamp fell off and there are lots of leaves to pick up before heavy drinking can resume.
Sounds like campus after an OSU game. :gomer:

-Kevin