PDA

View Full Version : Who here can cook?

Pages : 1 [2]

JoeBob
09-23-08, 10:39 AM
Steel cut oats are far and away, the way to go. They have a nice hearty texture, and stand up well in the refrigerator for reheating. We cook up a big batch on the weekend, and portion it into containers for a fast, easy to microwave breakfast during the week.

4 cups of water, one cup of oats into a pot, over high heat to a boil. Then 30-40 minutes over medium heat, stirring from time to time. When we get it to approximately the right thickness, it goes into the containers, gets topped with cinnamon, and put into the fridge.

When it comes time to consume, add a few tablespoons of water, microwave until hot, stir, and top with brown sugar.

Easy, healthy, and VERY yummy.

trish
09-23-08, 08:09 PM
You guys have some nice oatmeal recipes. I love oatmeal but I haven't made it in a while. I buy the Quaker oatmeal packets instead.

And for you guys who don't rinse meat, where do you get your meat products from? I'd be getting mine from a local grocery store. I don't suppose that makes any difference in your answers since heat is supposed to kill all the bad stuff. But that's assuming I cook it to the right temperature.

STD
09-23-08, 08:37 PM
What would ordinary rinsing do to clean or sterilize?

trish
09-23-08, 08:55 PM
Wash away blood. THe smell from the packaging. The butchers fingernail jam. Hair or dirt if it fell on the floor. A booger from a sneeze.

I don't know.

Methanolandbrats
09-23-08, 08:59 PM
Wash away blood. THe smell from the packaging. The butchers fingernail jam. Hair or dirt if it fell on the floor. A booger from a sneeze.

I don't know. There is no reason to worry about any of that stuff as long as you take it over 140 F and put ketchup on it :D

emjaya
09-23-08, 10:07 PM
Steel cut oats are far and away, the way to go. They have a nice hearty texture, and stand up well in the refrigerator for reheating. We cook up a big batch on the weekend, and portion it into containers for a fast, easy to microwave breakfast during the week.

4 cups of water, one cup of oats into a pot, over high heat to a boil. Then 30-40 minutes over medium heat, stirring from time to time. When we get it to approximately the right thickness, it goes into the containers, gets topped with cinnamon, and put into the fridge.

When it comes time to consume, add a few tablespoons of water, microwave until hot, stir, and top with brown sugar.

30-40 minutes!!! :cry: I want eat now. :gomer:

TKGAngel
09-24-08, 12:59 PM
Didn't Alton Brown do a show on preparing steel cut oats in a crockpot?

I don't know.

Paging Upton Sinclair...

JoeBob
09-24-08, 04:41 PM
30-40 minutes!!! :cry: I want eat now. :gomer:

Thats why we boil a pot over the weekend, and microwave in the morning. :tony:

STD
09-24-08, 05:55 PM

I don't know.

I was speaking on a mircobial level. Rising would do nothing.
Personally I would return any meat product if it smelled other than it should for any reason.

If in doubt irradiate it all. :laugh:

Better living through sterilization.

racermike
09-24-08, 06:12 PM

This is my fav Steel Cut Oats.

I cook it up, and just add some brown sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, and a tablespoon or so of half/half.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/images/cache/BRM-5c67c854ee63b89e479664bfaddc8585.jpg

ChampcarShark
09-24-08, 06:20 PM
Have you guys and gals tried mixing jelly with oatmeal, or pecans.
Fresh fruit like peaches or apples makes a good addition too as well as half and half for a creamier taste.

That adds a little bit of variety for the daily cup of oatmeal to lower cholesterol.

Then again when everything fails use the package variety, instant oatmeal.

racermike
09-24-08, 06:25 PM
Have you guys and gals tried mixing jelly with oatmeal, or pecans.
Fresh fruit like peaches or apples makes a good addition too as well as half and half for a creamier taste.

That adds a little bit of variety for the daily cup of oatmeal to lower cholesterol.

Then again when everything fails use the package variety, instant oatmeal.

I will throw in some Currants, Dried Cranberries, or dried blueberries

anait
09-24-08, 07:07 PM
...where do you get your meat products from?

We have a guy. :cool: He's an independent cattle guy, sells privately only. This summer we bought half a steer, 541 lbs of beautiful beef, cut to our specs. We much prefer his beef to store-bought; side-by-side, no comparison. I guess you have to search around, word-of-mouth sorta thing to find someone you trust.

Re brining: we will brine turkey once in a while; and for pork loin I usually use Alton Brown's 'A Dip for Mr Dennis' from his first book.

Methanolandbrats
09-24-08, 07:46 PM
Adding a shot of bourbon to the morning oatmeal is the best way to dress it up:thumbup:

oddlycalm
09-24-08, 08:29 PM
This is my fav Steel Cut Oats.

I cook it up, and just add some brown sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, and a tablespoon or so of half/half.
Yep, Bob's Red Mill (http://www.bobsredmill.com/home.php)is da kine :thumbup: It's also where I get Anasazi beans for Palomino chili and Adzuki beans for sweet rice & Adzuki bean breakfasts.

oc

extramundane
09-24-08, 08:39 PM
We have a guy. :cool: He's an independent cattle guy, sells privately only. This summer we bought half a steer, 541 lbs of beautiful beef, cut to our specs. We much prefer his beef to store-bought; side-by-side, no comparison. I guess you have to search around, word-of-mouth sorta thing to find someone you trust.

Best way to do it, IMO. We've got a nice family of West Virginia Mennonites who hook us up with ~1/3 of a free-range, grass-fed steer for a per-pound price that's about what you'd pay for mid-grade ground beef at the grocery store. Best ribeyes I've ever had :thumbup:

stroker
09-24-08, 08:58 PM

Wish I could get either of my two cattle rancher brothers-in-law would offer me the same opportunity. It's not like I gave them deer rifles for Xmas or anything...

Napoleon
09-28-08, 09:06 AM
I love to cook and take cooking classes occasionally, but with being divoriced and working a lot of hours it is tough to really find the time anymore.

G.
10-02-08, 01:42 PM
I try to be an adventurous cook, but sometimes I just don't have the balls.

roll over the link, decide if you really want to click it. UMMMM. Pizza. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2008/oct/02/foodanddrink.testicles)

trish
10-23-11, 11:03 PM
Why does the bottom of my shortcake burn before the cake is done?

The recipe calls for me to bake it for 15 to 20 minutes at 450 degrees, but after 5 minutes it starts to burn and it still isn't done.

I don't know what to do. Should I ignore the recipe and cook it longer at a lower temp? As it is I will have to throw it out and start over. Or should I just throw it back in the oven, let the bottom burn and then cut it off?

cameraman
10-23-11, 11:11 PM
In 5 minutes? Is the rack in the center of the oven or is it down at the bottom? It should be in the center of the oven. If it is in the center of the oven and you are burning a batter in 5 minutes then your thermostat is wildly inaccurate. You might want to buy an oven thermometer and check it out in either case.

trish
10-23-11, 11:15 PM
In 5 minutes? Is the rack in the center of the oven or is it down at the bottom? It should be in the center of the oven. If it is in the center of the oven and you are burning a batter in 5 minutes then your thermostat is wildly inaccurate. You might want to buy an oven thermometer and check it out in either case.

My rack was one up from the bottom. I'm ashamed to say that I probably wouldn't have noticed even if the recipe did mention it (it did not). :o

I'll try again tomorrow.

Is there a secret to getting the thing to rise?

cameraman
10-23-11, 11:45 PM
Shortcake doesn't really rise in the fashion of a yeast bread. The baking powder does the raising. If it isn't rising at all are you sure that you are using baking powder not baking soda? Also make sure you are using a double acting baking powder as most recipes call for that by default anymore. And if you're hating on Tony George make sure you use Calumet Baking Powder instead of Clabber Girl.

Also if baking powder gets quite old it loses its effectiveness. If you put a spoon full in a small glass of water you should see bubbles forming. Not quite alka seltzer but you should see bubbles.

trish
10-23-11, 11:54 PM
Shortcake doesn't really rise in the fashion of a yeast bread. The baking powder does the raising. If it isn't rising at all are you sure that you are using baking powder not baking soda? Also make sure you are using a double acting baking powder as most recipes call for that by default anymore. And if you're hating on Tony George make sure you use Calumet Baking Powder instead of Clabber Girl.

Also if baking powder gets quite old it loses its effectiveness. If you put a spoon full in a small glass of water you should see bubbles forming. Not quite alka seltzer but you should see bubbles.

I am using double acting backing powder and it is rising, but I thought it would rise a bit more. Now that I've centered the oven rack :gomer: everything should be good to go tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: I did the bubble test, and oddly enough, the baking powder that is good by some date in 2007 bubbles just as much as the Walmart store brand I bought last week. I'll pick up that Calumet tomorrow just to be safe.

Elmo T
10-24-11, 06:50 AM
What type of pan are you using? Many recipes adjust for using metal non-stick pans versus glass, etc.

And I agree with the idea of confirming the oven temperature. 450F sounds very high for a baked good other than a pizza on a stone - though a quick google search finds that is typical.

trish
10-24-11, 05:55 PM
I was using an old metal cookie sheet but tonight I'm going to use a newer insulated cookie sheet to see if it helps.

dando
10-24-11, 05:58 PM
I was using an old metal cookie sheet but tonight I'm going to use a newer insulated cookie sheet to see if it helps.

Cookie sheet vs. baking pan/dish might be part of the problem. Depending on the recipe, you should be using a baking dish like a 9" x 9" dish.

-Kevin

cameraman
10-24-11, 06:20 PM
Well that depends on the type of shortcake that you are making.

This one bakes on a cookie sheet at about 450:

http://img4.myrecipes.com/i/recipes/sl/06/05/shortcake-sl-1191565-l.jpg

This one bakes in a pan at probably closer to 375:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/Strawberry_shortcake.jpg

Shortcake is a rather generic term.

trish
10-24-11, 08:18 PM
A cake pan could work but I'm not sure if the dough is enough to fit. I want to layer it in a trifle dish.

The recipe calls for me to place the dough on a floured board, divide it, and pat it into two large rounds about 1/4 inch thick. Dot bottom half with butter and place other round on top. Bake in a hot oven at 450 for 15 to 20 minutes.

Then I'm supposed to split the cake in half, after cooling of course.

KLang
10-24-11, 08:27 PM
1/4 to 1/2 inch thick at 450 sounds like a recipe for something crisp.

trish
10-24-11, 08:39 PM
The one that failed yesterday was pretty crisp. Sweet to, I have to halve the sugar on this one. But maybe in the cake pan it won't be as bad. I'm only willing to try this twice tonight.

Elmo T
10-24-11, 09:56 PM
I've made the Bisquick drop biscuit shortcakes in in a pinch. The burned bottoms were a result of pan choice - the air bake pans made a big difference.

If you are using dark nonstick pans, try dropping the heat down closer to 400F.

Andrew Longman
10-24-11, 10:01 PM
In general I don't have a ton of experience with shortcake but I greatly prefer ceramic/glass pans for baking as they give more even heat. Also brown glass is better than clear. My best most prized bread pans are glass with years of carefully aged burned on, "non stick" brown "patine" which yields just right crispy even crust.

Otherwise I'd check if your recipe has too much sugar or maybe too much fat. Just compare if the ratios seem out of line with other recipes you can find on line. I've more than once found recipes where ratios somehow are way out of whack.

And bake is a very well preheated oven in the center of the oven.