PDA

View Full Version : NFL Playoff Pick'em - Conf. Championship Round

Pages : 1 [2]

Wheel-Nut
01-24-06, 06:12 PM
lets see, Master Combo Lock or Master w/ Key Pad?

Dirty Sanchez
01-24-06, 07:11 PM
Wait, let me check.

Nope, still don't care.but the sooner you get over it, the sooner you'll feel better ;)

Ankf00
01-24-06, 07:20 PM
Remembering the combos is a pain after months of no use... keypad better imo.

rabbit
01-24-06, 07:24 PM
It was just the Bengals being the Bengals.

I mean, seriously, you didn't really expect them to win it all, did you? :laugh:

Stu
01-24-06, 07:33 PM
What percentage of the time have the oddsmakers picked the winning team in the play-offs this year? By my count less than half.

They were 1 of 2 for the conference titles.
They were 2 of 4 for the divisional week.
They were 2 of 4 for the wildcard week.

Your counting sucks. Thats 50%. 50% is not less than half.

That's even with a lucky break in Cincy and a gimme in Seattle.

Lucky break in Cincy? The only lucky break there has been in Cincy is when the Bengals got their 2005 schedule.

Insomniac
01-24-06, 08:19 PM
They don't pick the "best team" they set the line to even the action. The public (and here I mean the betting public including the pros) perception of the quality of the teams is taken into account in that opening line. They're picking the favorite team, not the better team.

What percentage of the time have the oddsmakers picked the winning team in the play-offs this year? By my count less than half. That's even with a lucky break in Cincy and a gimme in Seattle.

The oddsmakers were wrong about the Colts and Broncos being better than the Steelers, but they couldn't have been wrong about the Bengals, according to the logic here.

What defines a better team? The line would reflect what the betting public (and you could argue the non-betting public as well) are divided 50/50 on. So you could expect if the line moved one way the 50/50 split would start to shift. For example, SB XXXVI, Pats vs. Rams. Rams by 2 TDs was the line. The line had to go that far before people would lay money ion the Patriots. Almost everyone believed the Rams were the better team and would win. If the line was even, I can't imagine how little money would've been on New England. New England won, who was the better team? People said you play that game 100 times, Rams win 99. It's all subjective who the "better team" is.

As people already said, that's why they play the game. A lot more goes into who the better teams is than who is better on paper.

Going into the Denver-New England game, I felt New England was the better team. But Denver forced turnovers and got the calls. They won. On that day, Denver was the better team, and that is all that matered. Pats went home, Denver went on (and I get to think, one Kevin Faulk fumble changes the whole game...).

All subjective, and ultimately pointless. It's decided by the guys who play and coach which none of us have anything to do with.

racer2c
01-24-06, 08:27 PM
Damn, let the guy up for breath haters. :mad:

**** I'm still pissed my Raiders lost to Tampa a few years back.

Stu
01-24-06, 08:51 PM

You're pissed they lost to Tampa but not to the Browns? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/hells/more/36_11_6.gif

nrc
01-24-06, 09:22 PM
It was just the Bengals being the Bengals.

I mean, seriously, you didn't really expect them to win it all, did you? :laugh:

Nope, I believed that they would beat the Steelers and the probably go on to lose to Denver. They're a young team and they would have had a hard time handling Denver or Indy on the road. But they know the Steelers, they beat them in December and they played better against them with John Kitna at quarterback than than the Colts or Broncos did with their stars.

Spicoli
01-24-06, 09:33 PM
If the bengals had pey/payton manning, they would have lost more worser. http://www.offcamber.net/forums/images/smilies/tony.gif

(I just wanted to use that gomer-tar really ;) )

nrc
01-24-06, 10:15 PM
Your counting sucks. Thats 50%. 50% is not less than half.

Actually it's my memory, not my counting. I incorrectly recalled one of the favorites. In any case, 50%, wow. With a record like that they really are the undisputed arbiters of the best teams. That, or you could just flip a coin.

Lucky break in Cincy? The only lucky break there has been in Cincy is when the Bengals got their 2005 schedule.

I don't know if you noticed it or not, but every team in a division plays essentially the same schedule with the exception of two games. The Steelers had the Patriots and Chargers and the Bengals had the Bills and Chiefs. It's true that those were easier opponents and the Bengals lost both those games, but they were both played after the division was clinched. If you throw those games out for both teams the Bengals still win the AFC North, 11-3/10-4.

racer2c
01-24-06, 10:34 PM
You're pissed they lost to Tampa but not to the Browns? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/hells/more/36_11_6.gif

Hey 'tard, were they a Super Bowl contender this year? :gomer:

Insomniac
01-25-06, 01:47 PM

hehe, I'd be mad if they didn't change the play calls too. :)